Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taylor Swift is more talented and entertaining than Beyonce.

There, I said it!

by Anonymousreply 145December 17, 2022 5:10 PM

Taylor can write a song (even if it sounds like a 13 year old wrote it) but she can't sing and is a terrible performer.

Beyonce can sing (although I don't like her tone) and perform but can't write shit and isn't really an artist.

I honestly don't care because I find both to be incredibly overrated and I'm sick of the media lionization.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2022 12:56 PM

You're right OP. Taylor is killing it here with the choreography in her 30mm kitten heel and Olive Oyl body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2022 1:03 PM

Meanwhile Beyonce 20 years ago when Taylor Swift was still scribbling in her middle school Burn Book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2022 1:05 PM

I would rather be waterboarded than have to sit through a Taylor Swift concert, so I have to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2022 1:06 PM

Beyonce exudes charisma when she performs. With Taylor Swift you can practically hear the mechanical gears turning, telling her body what to do.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2022 1:08 PM

Sick of seeing Beyonce's big ass and tits shoved in my face.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2022 1:12 PM

Agree, OP. Plus, Swift is an ally and an outspoken Dem.

Also, who broke Ticketmaster? Swift did.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2022 1:14 PM

My dog is more talented and entertaining than Beyoncé. And Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2022 1:22 PM

They both use their sex more than their talent. They are Kardashians who sing.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2022 1:29 PM

^nonsense

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2022 1:30 PM

Both of them are mediocre af.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote]Sick of seeing Beyonce's big ass and tits shoved in my face.

Literally, r6 🙄

Jesus FUCK I am so sick of all these misogyny threads!

Half the threads lately on Datalounge: - Why Did This Woman Fuck Up So Bad? - Why Is This Woman Famous I Don't Get It - Which of These Two Women is the Worst? -This Woman Needs To Just -Retire -Lose Weight -Die -Get Out of My Literal Face. -Stop Doing This One Thingy That Bothers Me - Change Her Appearance

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2022 1:47 PM

Beyonce is a very accomplished live performer, one of the best. Her performance routines are flawlessly executed 90% of the time and that is a staggering achievement. Her Coachella performance is justifiably legendary. On the other hand, her voice is...adequate. I can't really listen to her recordings for an extended period. She is really the only newer artist that rates among classic golden era performers. She's been performing for a quarter-century so I say "newer" because she is just a few years away from being a legacy artist.

I could live to be 173 and I will NEVER understand the adulation for Taylor Swift. She is so excruciatingly mediocre I've never been able to watch a complete performance of hers. She is underwhelming in every department, the only thing that would make her remotely interesting is if she were a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2022 1:49 PM

They’re equally bland.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2022 1:50 PM

[quote] They’re equally bland.

No, gurl, they are not equally nothing.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2022 1:53 PM

r1 summed up why i no longer care about pop music for the most part

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2022 1:56 PM

R13, would you agree that given the lane that she is trafficking in - pop music, that her vocals are better than Madonna, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez? I am just curious. Because people keep mentioning vocals as if they EVER really were a major criteria for pop music, at least not for the last 40 years. There are pop divas with great voices - Mariah's etc. but they are not great pop performers.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2022 1:57 PM

Beyonce does calisthenics and barks out catchphrases at the audience ( when she's not lip synching). " routines are flawlessly executed" - my ass.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2022 1:58 PM

Also sick of seeing her ugly ass husband and her homely child. And has she ever said anything even remotely interesting and intelligent?

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2022 2:01 PM

They both suck. Let's send them to Titan and be rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2022 2:02 PM

Like I said in that TS/KP thread

“Taylor (or whoever writes her songs) is leagues above 99% of the other pop girlies. It's not even disputable at this point. Katy could never write Happiness or Tolerate It or Marjorie or.... That's just three random songs from one album. She couldn't even create something like No Body, No Crime or Blank Space. Katy's music after Teenage Dream (with the exception of some of Witness and maybe Dark Horse) is pure garbage.”

This doesn’t apply quite as much to Beyoncé because at least her songs have some artistic merit, even if she has little to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2022 2:03 PM

As a good Baptist Christian woman Beyonce thinks gays are going to hell.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2022 2:05 PM

I miss Destiny's Child Beyonce. Her latest album was unlistenable, but that's what she gets for not giving credit to others when due. Swift is overrated, but her music is catchy.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2022 2:05 PM

I guess that supposed to be a good song R3? Boring and tuneless.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2022 2:08 PM

R22 Divorcees? adulterers? sex before marriage? Rapists?pedophiles?

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2022 2:12 PM

-1 > -3

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote] [R13], would you agree that given the lane that she is trafficking in - pop music, that her vocals are better than Madonna, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez? I am just curious. Because people keep mentioning vocals as if they EVER really were a major criteria for pop music, at least not for the last 40 years. There are pop divas with great voices - Mariah's etc. but they are not great pop performers.

Yes, she has considerably more vocal power than Madonna or Janet but that does not necessarily make her vocals "better." Madge and Janet can be recorded to sound "pretty" and they each have a number of very pleasant ballads -- that were huge chart hits. Beyonce has a harsh, shrill tone at the top of her range and she is completely indistinct in her whispery lower range. They can't even make her sound soft and pretty with audio technology. There are a number of singers who could have done much better with "Dangerously In Love" or "Halo." Her only ballad I enjoy is "All Night." Madonna and Janet each have deep catalogs of lovely ballads.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2022 3:20 PM

R5 tic, tic, tic....

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2022 3:27 PM

What R1 said. Both sets of fans are delusional when it comes to what a true musical artist is. I'm glad there are millions of people who love and enjoy their performances, but neither one of them is Prince among many others.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2022 3:35 PM

R12 as a woman, I hate that the most famous singer-songwriters in the Western world currently are all so sauceless and lame and fake-feminist. That includes Tay, Bey, and Adele. It's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2022 3:38 PM

Taylor Swift writes her own music, plays instruments, and sings her own songs. Beyoncé is more like Britney Spears. A pop music diva who dances.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2022 3:39 PM

One of those things Taylor isn’t good at r31.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2022 4:30 PM

It's a very low bar.

Taylor can't sing. Beyonce is only slightly better at it.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2022 4:42 PM

Beyonce needs to comeback with her catchy "I'm that diva" attitude songs.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2022 4:50 PM

r31 How do you know she writes her own music? I don't think many pop artists write their own songs.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2022 4:51 PM

R13 Beyonce is great and I love her but the coachella was only good because people think it is good in the end she looked tired and it all sounded like playback. Didn't like it. I prefer her performances like in video phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2022 4:54 PM

R35 You can easily look up a songs liner notes and see who writes the words and music. Taylor does write most of her songs. Not that they're Pulitzer winners, mind you, with lyrics like, "My ex-man brought his new girlfriend, she's like, 'oh, my God'..."

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2022 6:49 PM

If Taylor were a lowkey youtube indie bitch who didn't have that big of a horde of annoying stans, I probably wouldn't dislike her quite as much as I do. It's hype backlash for me. Though the plagiarism and the NLOGging she does is also very irksome.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2022 7:29 PM

R22 you obviously don't know Uncle Johnny

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2022 8:00 PM

Beyonce is a better singer and performer hands down. But her arrogance and elitism is so off-putting and she's so fake and calculated in everything she does. Pandering to different groups in clearly market-researched schemes. She hasn't grown as an artist at all either. All she relies on is fancy production and grandiose imagery. This is why her first few albums have aged better, "Dangerously In Love" is still a groundbreaking album and "4" is definitely aging well. The faux-Afrocentric with a blonde-weave, trap house queen and ride-or-die Bonnie-and-Clyde shtick is tired. Even Renaissance was underwhelming though I found it more enjoyable than Lion King and Everything is Love which kinda sucked. She now just decides to give love and respect to Black gays despite them worshipping her ass her whole career. I wish she would just make regular R&B and ballads or maybe do that neo-soul album she wanted to do. I think she'll need to grow a spine and dump Jay-Z before she can truly progress. Just my hot take.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2022 9:58 PM

Do you all really believe the bullshit line that Taylor writes her songs? Anything that is as corporate as her "music" is written by committee. She's rich and powerful enough to make it so she gets sole credit.

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2022 8:11 AM

When you're blind and deaf maybe.

Proof that white gays have absolutely no taste.

What happened to gays stanning VOCALISTS?!

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2022 12:09 PM

Taylor can write and she’s a nice person. I love her friendship with Jack Atanoff, they work well together and it shows dedication. Beyoncé is married to a former drug dealer who has one of the fugliest faces and hairdos. They are married for a power couple not for love. She’s sexless but in love with power and he’s rumored to be gay. Their fake “Becky with the good hair” cheating scandal made them millions due to the dumb asses consumed with all things “Queen Bee” (face palm) The elevator incident was so contrived. They are strategists and it works to their advantage because they write shitty music based on fake cheating and people buy it in droves making them crazy rich. She has no right getting that many Grammys for unlistenable and unmemorable music! I asked people at the gym once if they had LEMONADE on their playlists and no one BLACK WHITE OR PURPLE did. Some black people tried to say “oh that’s an important album” so I’m like “yeah name the songs” nope no one really liked it. She had Crazy In Love as a banger song. After 2011, her music was shit, gospel, mainly black centric to cater to an audience who worshiped her. How the fuck is her fugly kid winning Grammies? It isn’t even old enough to get its period yet! Then it’s at an auction bidding on diamonds? F***ing Kardashian level shit right there! When Kanye bullied Taylor Swift on the VMAs, Beyoncé and JayZ did the right thing and apologized to her and cut him off. Then JayZ forgave him but he again went Kayne Krazy with his Kartrashian hook up and they finally axed him. The ONLY thing I think they did that was genuine and honest of them. Otherwise I don’t get the Bey-hive Bullshit. Or Swifties or anyone who is in the cult of celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2022 12:31 PM

"Stanning" any artist is stupid (versus being a fan). DL likes vocalist who have a pleasant tone.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2022 12:31 PM

R2, I see great self confidence and production. The “song” is mediocre at best and I could execute all her dance moves if rehearsed. She’s kind of rapping/singing and I think almost anyone on a stage on B’way has more vocal talent.

I really don’t get it? I’d rather see the Rockettes at Radio City, lol.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2022 12:32 PM

Tay is more talented, but they are equally insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2022 12:50 PM

As a few posters have suggested, it’s pretty close to a draw for me.

They’re both equally good, and equally bland but in slightly different ways. They’re entertaining enough but it’s a low bar.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2022 12:58 PM

I know one person who must have an in-home altar constructed to Beyonce is Big Freedia. I have never seen a major star like Beyonce blowup a marginalized atrist so majorly and so frequently. I like when she does that. I Like when she mentioned Santigold in the Break My Soul Remix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2022 1:09 PM

The thing that bugs me about Beyonce is her hypocrisy. She was bragging about being Creole for years and she dangerously equated being Creole with being heavily admixed like her mother. And the Creoles of the Tina Beyince strain were notoriously colorstruck and anti-Black and many happily passed into whiteness. Tina may have married a dark man but she's the type who is happy her daughters came out light. Jay-Z himself is a colorist and made lyrics disparaging Black women and gays. Mathew Knowles admitted to being a colorist hence his attraction to creepy Tina and when he gained full control of Destiny's Child, he and Tina made the other girls tan and gave them whack hairdos. Also, Beyonce looked like a regular light-skinned girl but then got a nose job and other work and still wears blonde wigs. And manipulates lighting and Photoshop in images to appear lighter and ambiguous than she actually is. How are you proud to be Black yet try to look ambiguous and still wear those weaves? That's why Black is King looked so goofy, she didn't need to be the spotlight of that. African women with dark skin and natural hair should have been celebrated.

Now that said. I do like she helped out other artists like Chloe x Halle, Big Freedia, Frank Ocean and named Black queer icons in Break My Soul. I find it funny that she never promotes Kelly Rowland at all and I don't get why Kelly kisses Beyonce's butt. But Kelly needs to grow up as she defends Chris Brown too.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2022 1:24 PM

r49 Is right, Beyonce used to be lovable back in the day now she is so hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2022 2:00 PM

r49, look as I might, I cannot find any evidence that Beyonce has ever had a nose job. Every shot they compare is either her with a contoured nose or one from the Super Bowl where she is taking probably the biggest inhale of her life so her nose looks narrower. And I don't get a colorist vibe from her at all, even though Colorism is surrounds Creoles. I look at her actions. She married a dark skin man, about as dark as her father. She has always, since the beginning showcased dark skinned dancers - dancers who probably would have never gotten work on so a major stage if it wasn't for her choosing them. And she doesn't use them as relief to showcase how light she is. She puts them in prominent positions to showcase their beauty. She heavy handedly embraces black southern culture. I don't think most people even know what a BAMA is. And she wears braids almost as much as she wears straight hair weaves. But black women of all colors wear weaves and straight hair as a style and to protect their natural hair. She can't help that she has light skin. My grandmother and a good number of my family members are lighter than her, and we are all black. If she were trying to pass, she wouldn't be embracing Black Culture - HBCUs, celebrating other Black Icons, calling herself a Yellow Bone. She uses deep-seated black cultural references that other people black recognize. She doesn't pander to a white audience where she could do so VERY easily and be just as successful. There is no denial on her part. And her and Kelly Rowland are basically sisters having grown up together from almost toddlerhood and started off performing together as children. Lyrics:

My daddy Alabama, momma Louisiana / You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bama

I like my baby heir with baby hair and afros / I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils / Earned all this money but they never take the country out me / I got a hot sauce in my bag, swag

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2022 2:02 PM

R51 well said. I tend to see what you do in her artistry and life.

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2022 2:21 PM

Is she worse or better than Selena Gomez?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2022 3:08 PM

R51 Hi, Beyonce! Hope you're having a good day.

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2022 3:08 PM

R51 Sorry I am from foreign country but what is negroe nose? What does she mean when she sings that?

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2022 3:13 PM

Damn, I wish R54 I had some of that money. I am not even a member of the beehive. I've never been to one of her concerts. I can't imagine myself paying that much to see anyone EXCEPT for maybe Fleetwood Mac. But when it comes to entertainment, there is no way in hell OR on God's green earth you can tell me that Taylor Swift is more entertaining than Beyonce. There is just absolutely no way. And I think anyone with a pulse, a pulse with a brain, would think otherwise. You might really dislike Beyonce, but you can't take that away from her. Unless you're just being perverse.

Taylor Swift is like the Harry Potter of Music. She tapped into some ground swell of a fanbase and made a shitload of money selling her treacly woebegotten music to them. The fact that she can manage a two-step with a guitar doesn't make her entertaining. Not in this day and age - not when you have Pink risking life and limb for her fans. When Taylor Swift falls head over heals down a huge entrance flight of stairs and gets up and carries on without skipping a beat, get back to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2022 3:26 PM

Not a fan of either but Taylor Swift is not a "nice" person. She's fake and calculating.

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2022 3:28 PM

R56 I really needed a good laugh this morning, and that did it. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2022 3:29 PM

R56 no self respecting person pays for a concert. You get invited by wealthy friends or connected friends who have a box, and who cares who the act is. I never venture to parterre unless it’s front row in a roped section AND I like the performer.

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2022 3:31 PM

R59 - sitting in closet, wrapped in a blanket, tripping on mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2022 3:35 PM

R59 - In this week's episode of Illusions of Grandeur Canyon....

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2022 3:37 PM

R60 R61 it’s just a side effect of living in NY too long and hating crowds. It’s not an exclusive thing, many many invitations poor in over the years and it’s usually someone’s employers corporate box. It’s really common.

and R61 the turn of phrase is delusions of grandeur

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2022 3:39 PM

I don’t trust anyone who fawns over “Hollywood”… 🙄

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2022 3:40 PM

A side effect of living in NY too long, huh? I lived in NYC for twenty-five years. The rich and famous are easily accessible, yes without a doubt. But I know exactly your type, what you are - A Whore.

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2022 3:48 PM

Is Bey an animal lover? If not, she's not talented.

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2022 4:11 PM

I’m sick of Taylor’s victim act and Beyoncé’s intense anger.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2022 4:13 PM

R66 neither strikes me as either

🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2022 4:16 PM

Taylor is talented but I've never found her to be more entertaining than Beyonce. Her stage performance is extremely basic. Actually, she lacks any rhythm so we just get the basic white girl moves. Beyonce doesn't write her own music so her output may not be personal but her song choices can be memorable enough.

Taylor and Beyonce have cemented themselves as icons. Taylor's music will likely live in on much longer than Beyonce's since the lyrics can be applied to younger generations sort of like people still jerking off Bob Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2022 4:18 PM

Taylor got her start in country and can always go back, country fans are the most loyal of any genre other than classical and jazz. Pop fans will throw you away and forget about you.

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2022 4:27 PM

r69 she outgrew country and many of the true country fans fell that she sold out. Though, she has enough fans to sustain her until old age. She is the most likely to be like Babs, singing into her 70s or 80s and being moody about their ancient audience's desire to hear, "Love Story".

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2022 4:35 PM

feel*

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2022 4:35 PM

R70 that is a problem for her, she started at such a young age that her songs are very tarty and will sound ridiculous sung by a 60yo but by the time she reaches that age perfected holograms of artists in the prime in concert will be the thing. And by concert I mean VR goggles.

by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2022 4:40 PM

r70 but even her recent stuff is getting massive praise and love from fans. Taylor's hologram will have loads to sing when the time comes.

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2022 4:46 PM

I think a lot of people only know Taylor from her singles and the media interpretation of her and thus have a rather skewed perception.

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2022 4:47 PM

I think Beyonce needs to do more interviews and explain her work. It's 2022, nobody cares about her Southern accent anymore like back in 2008 when she was mocked. I liked her personality in Destiny's Child where she was sassy and spoiled but still nice and warm-hearted. We sometimes get glimpses of this. Grace Jones said Beyonce was very sweet and that's the reason she collaborated with her considering she hates most people

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2022 7:29 PM

R51 Good point. I've heard different opinions from black women which helped informed my views. Some absolutely love her while others see her as a product of colorism like Yaba Blay or capitalist like Chimamanda Adiche and bell hooks. There is room for different opinions on public figures and I think her fantatic stans have led to a massive backlash. She is polarizing for sure. I do think she's talented and worked hard and you're right that she is connected to her heritage.

Her parents definitely scream old school Southerners with colorist mindsets but I do think Bey and Solo were exposed to different people and didn't end up with those views. Kelly being Beyonce's close friend and dealing with bullying for her skin rone. And Beyonce marrying Jay-Z who is not only dark but new money, from the hood and from New York which old school Black Southern money would have flipped out at that notion.

Some light-skinned women are problematic like LisaRaye and Doja Cat and light-skinned men like Chris Brown and Drake. Beyonce at least never said she was prettier because of her skin tone. The imagery in Lemonade and Black is King though can be misread as centering light-skinned women as the focus which does bring up some painful memories for some. Unfortunately art can be seen in different directions. I think her team does exploit colorism to market her because the world we live favors light skin. I understand it's not her fault she is light and has heavy admixture. I mean Vanessa Williams similarly never said anything colorist and always supported her dark skinned sisters but has had conversations around her privilege.

I think Beyonce did more interviews it would help her image and clear up misconceptions.

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2022 7:40 PM

When I was kid and see Beyonce in destiny child music video I thinked she natural blonde.

by Anonymousreply 77November 22, 2022 8:34 PM

Light-skinned women with reddish undertones do tend to pull off blonde better like Beyonce, Queen Latifah and Mary J Blige. I hate it on men though.

by Anonymousreply 78November 22, 2022 8:39 PM

Beyonce doesn't do interviews because she isn't very intelligent and can't articulate herself properly which even her father Matthew has admitted. If people knew how stupid she was it would ruin her goddess persona.

Her not doing interviews is one of the smarter moves she has made in her career.

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2022 1:18 AM

Don't fucking mess with us Swifties, cunts!

[quote]Senate Announces Hearing After Chaos Over Taylor Swift Ticket Sales

[quote]A committee led by Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota will examine the ticketing industry after failures last week frustrated millions of the superstar’s fans.

[quote]A Senate subcommittee announced on Tuesday that it would hold a hearing on the lack of competition in the ticketing industry after Taylor Swift fans faced days of chaos last week as they tried buying concert tickets through Ticketmaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2022 2:53 AM

Retarded Swift fans deserved to be ripped off. Hah!

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2022 5:52 PM

My sides hurt. What a great satirical post OP.

by Anonymousreply 82November 29, 2022 5:56 PM

That's not saying much, OP.

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2022 6:09 PM

I bought Beyoncé's new album thinking it'd be good 'queer dance music' as it was billed, and it is astonishingly bad. Not just bad but annoying. She just says muthafuckka yeah yeah muthafukka over various beats for the length of an album. She sings just a little bit and it's annoying as hell.

I liked Destiny's Child. They were funny and their songs were catchy. This new Beyoncé...no comment except that I like a lot of Taylor Swift's music and actually want to listen to it. She's like Madonna in that she makes great and versatile music in spite of a limited voice, and her lyrics are far superior to any other writers I know of today. I know people love Lana Dey Rey's heroin addict sexdoll schtick and that's fine but I do think Taylor's a good writer. She does need to grow up beyond the highschool romances, though. She's in her 30s. If she doesn't get some more adult interests soon, she may go the way of Katy Perry.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2022 6:13 PM

I don’t believe Taylor Swift writes all of her music. Her fans make her into a female Prince where she writes and produces everything.

I think she’s on the level of Madonna as a songwriter and because she plays guitar, she’s put on this pedestal that she’s something more.

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2022 6:16 PM

Beyoncé’s production skills are interesting. She basically mood boards music together from songwriters and producers.

Some songwriters and producers who submit material don’t know what the finished product sounds like.

For example with “Sorry”, the chorus was just an idea from the guy from Vampire Weekend and Beyonce gave it to another writer to finish it and then she changed it around to her liking.

So it’s not like she’s not hands on.

She’s more of an idea person than an actual writer and I think that’s just as interesting.

Way more interesting than Taylor Swift writing fake breakup songs about her gay boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2022 6:18 PM

People act like Beyoncé is Rihanna or Kylie Minogue.

Those are artists who are given a bunch of material to record and then the label decides what they want to put on an album.

I remember Kylie being upset her favorite songs from “X” were left off the album. The poor woman had minimal input in a lot of her albums.

That’s not Beyonce.

Rihanna tried to be more with “Anti” and it was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2022 6:20 PM

Gotta love fans like R86:

"Beyonce doesn't do anything, really, except point her fingers (or someone else's fingers), this way or that way, at already crafted songs and then commands other writers to rework parts of those songs until such time as she (or someone else from her team) likes them. Brilliant! Her total lack of artistry makes her interesting!"

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2022 6:24 PM

So here’s an example.

So he wrote the hook, his friend made the beat. He sampled Yeah Yeah Yeahs “Maps”.

And then Beyonce had someone else write the verses

I mean it’s an interesting way to approach music in this age. It’s not “factory” it’s almost like a musical chain letter.

Which I think is cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2022 6:24 PM

R88 That’s exactly what a producer does.

You realize that right?

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2022 6:27 PM

What is our obsession with someone being better than another? They are both excellent entertainers.

by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2022 7:06 PM

Girls! Girls! You're both talentless cunts!

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2022 7:07 PM

B may have vacent illuminati eyes but Taytay likes to get eaten out by hot chicks aka stealth lesbo.

Speaking of eating, I fucking love you! R92. I'm gay as fuck but I'll eat you all day line your store's namesake Edna's Edibles.

by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2022 7:10 PM

R86 I love posters like you. You hit it on the nail.

by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2022 7:26 PM

It makes me sad that people are taking these two studio creations so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2022 7:30 PM

[quote] Beyonce can sing

🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2022 7:39 PM

Taylor...beautiful gowns!

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2022 7:53 PM

R90, but Beyonce claims to be a writer. Sorry, but I think a writer needs to create something out of nothing. I find Taylor's music numbingly one note, but at least it's (at least in part) a note she came up with.

by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2022 8:13 PM

Midnights is growing on me. I haven't listened to it in its entirety, but the first three tracks are solid.

by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2022 8:23 PM

At least Beyonce has a good voice. There’s nothing remarkable about Taylor’s voice.

by Anonymousreply 100November 29, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote] Aretha from beyond the grave

I LMAO'd when "Got2BReal" had Aretha calling B "Beonyourwaytojailforplagiarizing-ce"

by Anonymousreply 101November 29, 2022 9:11 PM

That's like saying mashed potatoes are better than porridge. They're both boring but at least TS has some palatable qualities.

by Anonymousreply 102November 29, 2022 9:13 PM

Taylor is the Joni Mitchell of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2022 6:54 PM

Beyonce is their Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]Beyonce claims to be a writer. Sorry, but I think a writer needs to create something out of nothing. I find Taylor's music numbingly one note, but at least it's (at least in part) a note she came up with.

Obviously this person doesn't understand what a writer is in the Industry. I never worked on music, but I have done script doctoring before. Everyone who touches the finished product in any substantial way gets a writing credit. And part of the writing credit is the concept or idea. I am sure Beyonce has conceptualized a lot of the songs on her albums, especially this last one. The story is part of the song writing credits. She isn't just handed something to perform - not for a long time.

But the best part of most of Beyonce's music IS the music. She has the best of the best in the industry working for her. Her music is very now in its sound. Even the music that is referencing past genres is very current. Go onto Youtube and listen to how layered and lush the sounds are. Of course that's not her. But it does make her overall package more entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2022 9:46 PM

Taylor should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Joni. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 106December 1, 2022 9:32 AM

Bey da bitch. Tay-lor b shit.

by Anonymousreply 107December 1, 2022 9:43 AM

This song is still very much a pop banger. It's a perfect pop song. Beyonce is definitely doing the most, but I love it. Has Taylor embodied any of her songs this much in any of her videos? I don't watch her, so I wouldn't know. Beyonce is endlessly entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 4, 2022 11:57 AM

R108 This is one of Beyonce's worst.

Every time I hear it, I think it should be a jingle for the Sleep Train mattress store.

"Come to Sleep Train

And you'll never have nightmares."

by Anonymousreply 109December 4, 2022 12:02 PM

Beyonce is a goddess. And you are not allowed to have any other opinion.

by Anonymousreply 110December 4, 2022 1:06 PM

R109, her titties are the star of that video. How they don't coming flying out of her dress any number of times is a marvel.

Anyway I was saying as a Pop song, it is very well constructed from beginning to end. I wouldn't necessarily call the music that Beyonce made after this Pop music, although it is very popular. But versus, chorus and bridge set to a catchy up-beat beat, good music. That's what this song is. The music, reminiscent of Michael Jackson's Bad, is restrained but lush. She really has the best producers, sound guys working for her. Because when you actually hear how layered the sound is underneath on all of her songs, how well executed it is, there is really no other comparison. And all this is backing her up as Beyonce does what Beyonce does over the top of it.

All I am saying is Taylor Swift could never. And I don't even know why we are having this dumb argument because Taylor Swift knows very well herself she is no Beyonce. She will admit it quite freely herself I am sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 5, 2022 1:35 PM

C'mon could Beyonce ever write something like this? Or even remember all these words? Or be able to pronounce them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 5, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote] All I am saying is Taylor Swift could never

And Beyonce could never actually write a song the way Taylor does.

by Anonymousreply 113December 5, 2022 2:10 PM

The only songs I know from either one of these two are Shake It Off and Single Ladies. Both are horrible and lack any kind melody.

Hard pass on both. Both have weird fans bases. Beyonce has brainwashed fanatics who think she's royalty. Oddly, Taylor's are disabled young girls.

by Anonymousreply 114December 5, 2022 2:28 PM

Beyonce can sing pop, jazz, r&b, funk, soul, and country. She is a rapper, can scat, and also is a pianist. Her music is sonically diverse and experimental. Tay has no Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Irreplaceable, Formation in her catalogue. I guess You Belong to Me is somewhat timeless.

Taylor is lovely songwriter, who can play the guitar and has made some catchy top 40 tunes. Her music isn't timesless nor experimental.

by Anonymousreply 115December 5, 2022 2:30 PM

"Taylor Swift is more talented and entertaining than Beyonce. There, I said it!"

So is my cat.

by Anonymousreply 116December 5, 2022 3:00 PM

Ok, R112, I gave it the ole college try. I went through the trouble connecting my bluetooth headphones and everything so I could listen to Taylor's voice going right into my brain. My first thought is wow, how much I miss people like Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Jewel and especially Amy Winehouse who are all artist who could write circles around Taylor swift. Even Lana Del Rey writes much better music than Taylor (seriously). Their well crafted lyrics not only have meaning but have BITE. IF you are going to place so much emphasis on song writing, then you should really listen to song writers much much better than Taylor - like tori Amos' Scarlet's Walk below.

Just as I expected, Taylor's music sounds like some fifteen year old girl's long, sad and lonely period.

Taylor had a couple of good turn of phrases that I suspect can be credited to Liz Rose who is a writer on the track. Turns of phrases like "double crossed my mind," "wided eyed yes" which are little bit more poetic than the rest of the pat story telling of the song about scarves left in glove compartments and coffee at breakfast. Taylor swift was 30 years old when she released this song yet she is singing about turning 21 in it. And the fact that she is with her dad in the song on her birthday, I am guessing the girl in the story is probably actually 16, 18 but they hiked up the age or else it would come off even more ridiculous than it is that a grown-ass woman like Taylor is singing about a 16th birthday.

Warming: This song NEVER ends. I couldn't finish it. I guess she thinks she's reached the level of Queen or something. And when I looked up the album there are 30! fucking tracks. And this song has a 10 minute version. It literally makes you want to slap a bitch. It's all so self indulgent and extremely mediocre it makes me affraid for the level of taste of young gays these days.

No Beyonce couldn't write that type of song and thank God she doesn't. But as far as talent when it comes to performing, there are few artist you can point to - other than maybe Prince and Tina - in their day, in their way, who are better. And yes I am thinking of Madonna and Gaga when I say this. I'll wait for the video proof. And I will be dead honest if you are right and give credit were credit is due.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 5, 2022 4:15 PM

Not counting all of the female writers who have reached legendary status like the Carole Kings of the world - Bjork, Tori Amos, Sara McClachlan, Jewel, Fiona Apple, Lana Del Rey and even Billie Eilish all write better songs than Taylor Swift. And as far as pure pop music songs - Sia, Robyn and even Kesha write better pop songs. Taylor swift is praised way beyond her actual writing capabilities.

by Anonymousreply 118December 5, 2022 4:35 PM

Taylor's song, Anti-Hero, really bugs the shit out of me, because if she really wrote it, it's some straight up bullshit.

Does anyone really believe for a nanosecond that Taylor Swift, beautiful, thin, successful beyond imagination, and loaded with millions and millions of dollars, sees herself as a "monster on the hill" that no one wants to be around? Does anyone actually think Taylor sits in her mega mansion at night and laments over not fitting in?

Fuck that faux "poor me, love me, please" shit.

by Anonymousreply 119December 5, 2022 4:48 PM

R119, I'm no Taylor fan. At all.

But I think the gist of that song is that, on her worst days, she's a narcissist who makes everything about her. That she's her own worst enemy. That her need to be at the center of everything is a big time problem she's actually acknowledging.

In the video, she even fantasizes about having kids (who are even worse narcissists than she is) lamenting the fact that Mama Tay left them nothing after she died. It's all about Taylor, all the time. Even in death.

Back to the question: They both are middling. Taylor is a better songwriter. Bey is a better performer.

Gaga, Solange, and Phoebe Bridgers are all far more talented pop stars. To name just a few off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 120December 5, 2022 5:12 PM

I've tried with Taylor and her writing is just so so juvenile. I agree that Lana del Rey is better than her.

Taylor ripped off the melody of Lana's Without You for her song Wildest Dreams. Look it up.

She also took the line "x mark the spot where we fell apart" from a Hilary Duff song.

Don't Blame Me is a Hozier Take Me To Church rip off. Funny how Olivia Rodrigo had to give Taylor credit for one her songs yet Taylor has been ripping off other artists for forever.

by Anonymousreply 121December 5, 2022 7:00 PM

r117 All Too Well came out in 2012, so was written when she was around 21/22. It was re-released along with this heretofore unheard ten minute version as promotion for the re-recorded album, Red (Taylor's Version).

by Anonymousreply 122December 5, 2022 10:38 PM

LADY GAGA'S BLOODY MARY TOPS ANYTHING TAYLER DID.

by Anonymousreply 123December 6, 2022 12:31 AM

[quote] "Beyonce doesn't do anything, really, except point her fingers (or someone else's fingers), this way or that way, at already crafted songs and then commands other writers to rework parts of those songs until such time as she (or someone else from her team) likes them. Brilliant! Her total lack of artistry makes her interesting!"

If she really does have that level of input and autonomy then her music IS her creative expression. It's like people who style themselves, they don't make the clothes and accessories they simply put them together, and their personality and expression is in their appearance. I always assumed she had even less input into her music.

by Anonymousreply 124December 6, 2022 4:21 PM

R124 she has complete control. You should watch one of her documentaries. And sges one of the few pop divas who plays with a live band.

I actually met the producing duo, Stargate who has written songs for Beyonce and many other stars. They said the contributions that she made to the lyrics that tget wrote, the song would not have been the same without her additions. She is actively creative.

by Anonymousreply 125December 6, 2022 4:23 PM

Beyonce is involved with her music. She's not a genius or anything but she's like Madonna, Kylie, Rihanna and Janet where she has a lot of input and control, adds to lyrics and contributes to the final version. Most pop albums are group efforts. So it's fair to attribute the Beyonce's musical success to her just as much as her team. Compare her to Fergie, Jennifer Lopez, Hilary Duff, Cassie and Britney Spears who are the epitome of studio creations who come in to record after the songs and production are finished.

by Anonymousreply 126December 16, 2022 9:35 PM

Beyoncé changes a single word in a lyric and she takes credit for it. Everyone knows that.

by Anonymousreply 127December 16, 2022 9:39 PM

R127 I've heard that about Madonna too. I personally think that if you've been in the music industry that long you should be able to pick up songwriting. Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown and Christina Aguilera did. So I can believe Beyonce learned some things. It's not like her songs are super complicated or abstract. The issue is she never does interviews and talks about her music. I don't believe she writes the whole song but she could give input and make additions to the songs and have the writers revise things. That's enough to get songwriter credits.

by Anonymousreply 128December 16, 2022 9:45 PM

Beyoncé has learned how to blackball folks who don’t allow her to pull that shady shit.

She is a cunt. So is Swift, the closet case.

by Anonymousreply 129December 16, 2022 10:14 PM

They’re both awful.

by Anonymousreply 130December 16, 2022 10:16 PM

That's the definition of damning by faint praise, OP.

by Anonymousreply 131December 16, 2022 10:17 PM

[quote] I've heard that about Madonna too.

The demos are out there that were handed to her by producers with session singers. She absolutely changes a word or a line of a song and gets first writing credit. Her Ray of Light album was also done by others. She’s not original at all.

by Anonymousreply 132December 16, 2022 10:18 PM

R123 I'm a bit obsessed with Gaga's Bloody Mary. What a fantastic pop song.

Dark, brooding, weird, catchy, interesting. All in one.

If Gaga had more songs like that? Sheesh. She'd be untouchable.

by Anonymousreply 133December 16, 2022 10:22 PM

[quote]Taylor Swift is more talented and entertaining than Beyonce. There, I said it!

Wow you sure did compare two women to each other and made an arbitrary ruling declaring one better than the other. How original.

by Anonymousreply 134December 16, 2022 11:19 PM

Most people are more talented than Beyonce who is practically talent-free.

by Anonymousreply 135December 16, 2022 11:40 PM

I am confused as to how Taylor Swift is entertaining. She's boring with repetitive music.

by Anonymousreply 136December 17, 2022 1:50 AM

Agree.

by Anonymousreply 137December 17, 2022 2:21 AM

They both stink.

by Anonymousreply 138December 17, 2022 1:44 PM

R12 Your points are valid, but you used the word "literally."

by Anonymousreply 139December 17, 2022 1:46 PM

Stop the misogyny on Datalounge.

It’s killing us.

by Anonymousreply 140December 17, 2022 4:05 PM

R120 Exactly. They play in two different genres and they openly admire each other in their respective talents.

Taylor Swift's strength is her songwriting and knowing how to build an album around popular emotional currents. Folklore/Evermore both have some feats of artistry on them. I don't like her live vocals, but if Annie Lennox did a concert of her songs, it would be incredible.

Beyonce is a stunning performer. Not a particular fan of her performing vocal timbre either, but she has amazing breath support. She also has a beautiful alto voice when she wants. And (as not a fan), Beychella was rightfully legendary as a production.

by Anonymousreply 141December 17, 2022 4:27 PM

So fucking pathetic how the media licks their ass and acts as if they are the only two artist in the history of music.

by Anonymousreply 142December 17, 2022 4:41 PM

They are both terrible. Absolutely awful, mediocre hacks uplifted solely by their maketing machines and the death of taste among the general population and especially of music critics and their "poptimism" horseshit. I do not for a second buy that Taylor writes her corporate tested material.

by Anonymousreply 143December 17, 2022 4:43 PM

[quote]Sick of seeing Beyoncé’s big ass and tits shoved in my face.

Not sure if “big ass” is a reference to her bootie or to Jay-Z, but either way I agree with R6.

by Anonymousreply 144December 17, 2022 4:49 PM

Sure Jan, @ OP.

by Anonymousreply 145December 17, 2022 5:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!