Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Quentin Tarantino Confirms Next Movie Will Be His Last

[QUOTE]"I've been doing it for a long time; I've been doing it for 30 years. And it's time to wrap up the show," said Tarantino, 59. "I'm an entertainer. I want to leave you wanting more." The director has long promised to make only 10 films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 5:35 PM

One thing we can ALL agree on: That is one UGLY man.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2022 11:23 PM

His podcast is good. He can keep doing that.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2022 11:36 PM

Is not he some sort of sex pest? How has he escaped cancellation?

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2022 11:47 PM

Good!! His films are too creepy and violent!

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2022 11:48 PM

Will it feature lots of feets?

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2022 11:50 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2022 11:54 PM

R4 = MARY!

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2022 12:15 AM

He promised me Kill Bill Vol 3, wtf!!

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2022 12:39 AM

Maybe that will be #10, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2022 1:08 AM

Like so many other male celebrities, he needs a new colorist.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2022 1:12 AM

[QUOTE] Good!! His films are too creepy and violent!

His films changed filmmaking as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2022 12:57 AM

He's already done 10 if you count Death Proof.

He could do worse than to go out with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2022 1:41 AM

Good for him. Someone who knows when to leave the party.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2022 1:48 AM

Spielberg should have retired after Schindler's List. Every movie he's made since then has only hurt his reputation. Once directors turn 60, they lose their touch and creativity.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2022 2:01 AM

Agreed R14. Schindler's List was Spielberg's last truly great film,

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2022 2:06 AM

Terrible actor and hard to look at. Who does this asshole think he is to say the N word? Overrated director who made a few good movies but got too arrogant and rehashed every 60s and 70s film cliche to death. He has some serious paraphilias but I'm happen he uses film as his channel because I can see him totally being his Dusk to Dawn character in real life. HE was too good in that role to be just pretending. I'll check out his podcast because he clearly is a big cinephile and knows a lot about film.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2022 2:14 AM

Meh.

Good for him.

Thanks for the films, bro.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2022 2:15 AM

Pulp Fiction should have been his last

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2022 2:15 AM

Jackie Brown was great and seems so overlooked. If he stopped after that, he could have been a cult legend. I prefer Jim Jarmusch and David Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2022 2:16 AM

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood works well as a sleep aid

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2022 2:17 AM

Quentin Tarantino movies are in the go-to boring straight guy "basic and safe interests" package, also including Star Wars, Spiderman, Batman, Steelers, Dodgers, Fight Club, Foo Fighters, In-n-Out Burger, Ray Bans, Entourage, Chipotle

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2022 2:22 AM

The media really likes to pressure people to like things now writing millions of PR articles praising these movies and calling them some great commentary and how "we don't get it." So when a movie comes out by certain directors like Tarantino, Nolan, Scorsese, Spielberg, etc. We have to like it or else we're gaslighted. I really hate that

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2022 2:22 AM

Next: emblaming.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2022 2:26 AM

His 23 and Me results revealed that he is the second cousin of the original Madame Puppet

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2022 2:28 AM

He's really obsessed with Black and Asian people, violently killing women and women's feet. None of his movies have any substance, they're all big spectacles that don't change you or make you see things differently. I don't think there's anything wrong with that but people think he's the greatest filmmaker ever but I don't see it. Isn't art supposed to change you? Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were some of his best because they had a point. But a lot of his other movies are nonsense. I liked Kill Bill for the time but it's far from perfect, just stupid fun.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2022 2:31 AM

R21 Right!! He wouldn't have the courage or the balls or the mentality to do a gay themed movie. He is Old School all the way.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2022 2:35 AM

His last directing film. Surely he will produce and maybe even continue to write. But I get it. I worked a few years on the production side of filmaking and it long hard work and best left for the young people. I realized I was getting old when I couldn't work 12 hours, go out and drink with the crew then come back with two hours sleep and do another 12 hours.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2022 2:46 AM

thank you r22 ! the bootlicking of these hacks is never ending. I got in trouble for laughing at an advance screening of The Irishman; i honestly thought it was supposed to be a comedy!!!

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2022 2:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2022 8:18 PM

He can fuck off back to Israel.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2022 8:23 PM

R26 do we want him helming a gay themed movie? I believe there are scads of scads of gay people better equipped to tell a gay story — the opportunities should go to them, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2022 8:32 PM

He says This Same Thing EVERY time he makes anythibg. Look at meeeeeeee.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2022 8:34 PM

I don’t have time ( interest) to read the article or the thread up to this point, is he dying?

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2022 8:38 PM

I rather gross straight men with their fucked up views on sexuality not tackle male homosexuality in any form. They already make a mockery of lesbianism. I don't understand why gays on here get mad about women writers at least they don't portray us as depraved perverts and emphasize the romance aspect.

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2022 8:41 PM

A lot of directors seem like incels to me. Like they were nerdy awkward losers in high school and found film as an escape. Then they get into the movie business and act out all their sexual fantasies in film like hiring barely legal actresses to do unnecessary sex scenes and nudity and rape. There's gay versions of this like Bruce LaBruce and Gus Van Sant.

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2022 8:47 PM

Well, Quentin and Daniel Day Lewis can sit around and talk about how they’re not doing movies anymore together. Maybe they can start a podcast and try to convince other actors and directors not to make movies too. Didn’t Steven Soderberg declare this once also and then went back on his word?

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2022 8:50 PM

It's been all downhill after "Reservoir Dogs."

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2022 8:50 PM

He is so beyond fugly looking and annoying personality to boot! Why did the beautiful Israeli singer marry this weirdo?

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2022 9:28 PM

Why does he have to announce this? He's only 59 and there could be something he wants to film in the next 10 years. I suppose he could UNretire.

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2022 9:30 PM

Go out quietly, and leave them wanting more.

It's already too late for that, Q.

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2022 9:37 PM

No Kill Bill: Vol. 3?

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2022 9:39 PM

Thank God! I've never been able to stand that guy. And he's always seemed queer as a $3 bill to me.

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2022 9:44 PM

I actually like his moviemaking a lot when he’s not wallowing in sadism thinly disguised as “punishing really evil people.” He’s been a broken record with that revenge malarkey for most of his career.

It’s such a shame. He could have been a great director, and little splinters of light shine through the leering sadism, dressed up as pious retribution, in most of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2022 9:44 PM

[QUOTE]It's been all downhill after "Reservoir Dogs."

Jackie Brown is better than Reservoir Dogs.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2022 10:21 PM

He kind of looks like if Harvey Weinstein and Mark Cuban had a baby.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2022 10:30 PM

I can never forgive Quentin for making his fetish for women's feet a thing to put front and center in his movies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2022 12:46 AM

R21 also Swingers, The Godfather and Goodfellas

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2022 12:48 AM

Feet is a pretty innocuous fetish. It could be a lot worse. A lot.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2022 3:12 AM

R48 = foot fetishist

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2022 3:25 AM

I agree about the current state of cinema. However, I thought the 80s was a great decade for movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2022 3:36 AM

R21, and loving bacon and anything with Christopher Walken.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2022 4:20 AM

I disagree on the 1950s too. 50s and 80s are such random decades to choose and I'd like to hear more in detail why he singles those two as awful aside from the modern-day. I feel of course every decade has low-effort garbage but it cranked into high-gear come to the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2022 4:20 AM

Imagine the accusations of sick perversions if a mainstream award-winning filmmaker just happened to include close-up shots of men's feet throughout his films unrelated to the plot just because he gets off on them

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2022 4:20 AM

It gives me nightmares the thought that people had sex with Harvey Weinstein and Quentin Tarantino for their big breaks. No amount of money would be worth it to me to be touched by those ogres.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2022 4:26 AM

He elaborated on what he said, R52.

[quote] In a recent episode of his and Roger Avary’s The Video Archives Podcast, Quentin Tarantino took aim at the films of today, as well as those from the 1980s. “Even though the ‘80s was the time that I probably saw more movies in my life than ever – at least as far as going out to the movies was concerned – I do feel that ‘80s cinema is, along with the ‘50s, the worst era in Hollywood history,” Tarantino recently said on his “The Video Archives Podcast” (via NME). “Matched only by now, matched only by the current era!” Tarantino compared today’s lacklustre cinema to the political correctness and set of rules of the ‘50s and ‘80s; The restriction of creativity and cinematic innovation, the requirement to stick to the status quo prevented the most important filmmakers from the 1950s from properly flourishing in the industry. “In the ‘80s, it was self-censorship. It was just the rise of political correctness after the 70s where everything was just ‘go as far as you can,’ then all of a sudden everything got watered down. Everything was cynical, then all of a sudden in the ‘80s all that was washed away and the most important thing about a character was that they were likeable…Every character had to be likeable and the audience had to like everybody”.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2022 4:37 AM

Funny enough I think those restrictions led to more creativity from the creators and use of symbolism, innuendo and other shortcuts. Pushing the limits just for the sake of it can lead to shitty films with no purpose as well. While the Hays Code did get in the way of many directors' visions, they simply used nuanced methods and still got what they wanted even if it wasn't blatant. There is a serious lack of suggestion nowadays, everything is just blatant or the audience is handheld too much.

Also, I really don't see how 80s films were PC in anyway. The movies seemed to promote more nationalism, consumerism, stricter gender roles and praise of white suburban life. But were they really PC? Many of the characters didn't even seem likable just upwardly mobile, straight, usually white and fit the Reaganist ideal of hedonistic, greedy and ambitious. To people outside that world, those movies were actually offensive and removed from reality. Plenty of sexual harrassment played for laughs, homophobic and racist jokes, use of violence to resolve conflicts, ethnic stereotypes, xenophobia, etc.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2022 4:46 AM

Jackie Brown is Quentin Tarantino’s best movie.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2022 3:49 PM

I think Robert Rodriguez's movies. He doesn't pretend like he's making high art. He makes engaging action films with some surprising social commentary sprinkled in.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 5:21 PM

Will his last film be the Thom McAn bio ?

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!