Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was student loan forgiveness a ruse the administration knew would go no where?

I’m July of 2021, Nancy Pelosi said unequivocally that Biden did not have the power to forgive student debt. She was absolutely correct in that Congress has the power of the purse and only Congress has the power to discharge debt. Something changed in her opinion and she was in support of the forgiveness plan Biden announced earlier this year.

Now the plan is facing legal changes and is on hold until these challenges are processed through the courts. Hopefully it will be able to proceed.

I can’t help but think it was a ruse, a losing gambit. A promise the President knew would go nowhere. Pelosi was also in support because she also knew it would go nowhere and therefor wouldn’t overstep Congress. In the end debt doesn’t get forgiven and the Democrats have a new cudgel to beat the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 113December 4, 2022 11:34 PM

Power of the Puss

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2022 3:39 PM

Um, yes, duh. We always do this. We promise you shit we know we can't give you and blame Republicans when it doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2022 3:44 PM

See: Reparations.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2022 3:44 PM

Pay your fucking debt. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2022 3:55 PM

Yes, it was. Biden faked some left moves.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2022 3:58 PM

Debt that was taken on must be repaid by the person who took it out.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2022 3:59 PM

You're a little late for this faux moral panic, OP>

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2022 4:00 PM

No, OP, it wasn't. That's just a right-wing talking point.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2022 4:00 PM

R4 this thread is is not about people paying their debts or not paying them as the case may be. This thread is about a political party making a promise for political gain when it knows it doesn’t have a snowballs chance in hell of being implemented. If someone is drowning and a person on shore promises them a life preserver and doesn’t deliver you don’t tell the person to “just fucking swim” when they inquire where the preserver is.

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2022 4:02 PM

R2 both sides do exactly that. It’s called politicalism.

I for one am glad it went no where, while at the same time I have sympathy for people in debt. It is not the government’s duty or right to selectively transfer individual debt to non debtors.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2022 4:03 PM

Im sure they had a sound opinion that it was legal however the problem with our court system is that each circuit has become more activist and divergent (and Trump loaded) in their OPINION making. Each one scoring points as SCOTUS shifts the landscape.

Regardless - and at this point - not paying a dime

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2022 4:13 PM

In Thursday's ruling, Judge Mark T. Pittman, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump, wrote that the program was a "complete usurpation" of congressional authority by the executive branch.

Pittman was an Aggie, Texas lawyer for 5 minutes before Rick Perry then Gimp Abbott then Trump appointed him a judge. Totally unqualified.

But Biden is playing politics. Yeah right, ya dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2022 4:28 PM

R12 Biden served in the legislative branch long enough to know it was never going to pass from the executive branch, that’s why he tried to couch it has COVID relief, which had already been passed. Do you really have such a low opinion of him?

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2022 4:31 PM

LOL, for a fucking pack of leftists, you idiots are naive.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2022 4:33 PM

The root of this fucking mess is the widespread distaste and mockery during the last couple decades of vocational schools. College is not for everyone. We should have gone the route of Germany and offered high quality and reputable career programs. And it's not like this crop of young people are any smarter than the ones before.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2022 4:40 PM

R15 You're completely right and I wish somebody with some power would listen to you.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2022 4:48 PM

I was thinking that too, as someone with student loans. It was a total rouse complete with very easy sign up form to be granted forgiveness emailed about a week before the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2022 5:02 PM

Let's see, one party promises to help people out. They work hard and pass all the legislation they can to do just that. Another party puts a halt to it. But let's blame the party that did everything they could to make it happen. Do i have that right?

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2022 5:10 PM

[quote] But let's blame the party that did everything they could to make it happen.

But did they or was it all optics knowing it would fail and not be practical?

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2022 5:13 PM

See: current gay marriage bill. Also, all past federal gay marriage bills.

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2022 5:18 PM

R19 it was optics. Dems have a unified government, and have had for the past 2 years. They didn’t pass it legally. So they tried the disingenuous route of Executive fiat, labeling it COVID relief, which [italic]was[/italic] passed by congress.

I don’t blame them for trying. Both parties have done the exact same thing, for different initiatives.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2022 5:21 PM

Great legislation that will help people directly might be nixed by the pro-rich wing nuts. So we better not even as much as talk about it out of concern people will be disappointed when the wing nuts squash it all (and then pass generous tax cuts for the mega rich). This is your position?

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2022 5:23 PM

[quote]Was student loan forgiveness a ruse the administration knew would go no where?

ABSOLUTELY.

Biden betrayed everyone and the Dems cannot be trusted.

I guess the only thing we can do is vote rethug to teach those lying dems a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2022 5:28 PM

The right proposed legislation which would repeal the Glass-Steagall act, (basically regulation in place to keeps banks from gambling with depositors $$) several times KNOWNG it wouldn't make it. Finally it passed in Nov 1999 and it's considered one of the biggest contributors to the financial crisis. Dems stopped them till they didn't. Point is, it's always good to try, even if only to confirm your positions.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2022 5:35 PM

Agreed, R12.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2022 5:39 PM

R23 that’s not the place I find myself, but I appreciate you have different thoughts about it.

I’m a mostly contented moderate democrat. I don’t feel betrayed by Biden. He has done most of what I thought he could do or should do, practically. I’m content that many/most of the federally elected democrats are moderate and level headed. I don’t trust the Dem fringe, but never did, so nothing was lost.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2022 5:40 PM

[quote][R23] that’s not the place I find myself, but I appreciate you have different thoughts about it.

Perhaps the place you find yourself is Satire Impaired Island?

We've really gotten to the point where Poe's Law has asserted itself beyond all reason when even clear indicators are ignored.

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2022 5:48 PM

Given how much legislation Biden helped move along to remove bankruptcy protection, he knew what was done, and could've been undone. Unfortunately 99% of the population not having acquired degrees from private schools, especially in the last 25-30 years, doesn't really understand the mess that student loan debts create.

Debt is as man-made as gender identity since going off the gold standard.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2022 5:50 PM

R27 You can't just say something that's obviously true and then follow it with the Reddit /s to make it sarcasm.

Madonna is a emotionally stunted whore /s

^See?

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2022 5:53 PM

For a troll you're very blatant, r14.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2022 5:54 PM

This is short sighted and not a "solution," but it got the Democrats some votes. If Biden et al. were sincere, they would "do something" about costs. Why should a second or third tier college cost as much as Stanford? It's ridiculous. I see college bound young ones choosing to indenture themselves to attend a mediocre four year school, when they could go to a good community college for a relative pittance, and while there earn a vocational degree, or an AA, and then finish up their undergraduate studies if desired at half the cost. There is a stunning amount of financial stupidity afoot, and parents are as ignorant about money as their status blinded children.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2022 5:58 PM

Nope. Given that Biden did get other stuff passed that he promised, he did his best. Repugs are the ones blocking this. They brought the lawsuit, not Dems. Trolls trying to gaslight now making Biden look bad but not a single Democrat is part of this Republican blockade of debt relief. Just remember that young Dems. Biden is a straight shooter, he's not playing 3D chess with younger gen just for votes, not his style.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote][R27] You can't just say something that's obviously true and then follow it with the Reddit /s to make it sarcasm.

LOL - except, of course, it is the very lack of my belief in that truth (let alone the lack of objective truth of it) that makes it, you know, sarcasm - hence the /s tag.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2022 6:11 PM

Exactly, r32. I was hoping we'd be rid of the trolls now that we're past the midterms, but there you have it.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2022 6:11 PM

The midterms pissed everyone off.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2022 6:15 PM

Only the Rs, r35.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2022 6:16 PM

[quote]Dems have a unified government, and have had for the past 2 years.

Only by the slimmest of margins; the Dems couldn't pass anything that didn't meet (read: pay off) Joe Manchin (Dino) and Kyrsten Sinema's (D-boughtandpaidforbytheright) "high standards". That Biden got as much as he did is a miracle, by which I mean he traded in 50 years worth of favors to get done.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2022 6:16 PM

R33 I think someone needs to row her prissy rowboat back to Satire Impaired Island and workshop all of this brilliant sarcasm a little more /s

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2022 6:17 PM

R36 and the new Is who are fed up.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]f Biden et al. were sincere, they would "do something" about costs.

What, exactly, would you like them to do "about costs"?

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2022 6:20 PM

As others stated, the naïveté of our party is astonishing.

Here is the fucking deal. We cannot wait for “leaders” to fix us. The system IS rigged, it is now a single party of corporatists. Face that fact. Our leaders are NOT proximate to the problem, ergo, they will not fix it because they honestly don’t even fucking understand it. The sooner we accept this reality, the sooner we can shift to the next phase. They will *not* fix it, it’s never going to happen because the system is rigged for corporations now. I would say this shit right in the face of Nancy and Joe.

And those of you talking about how this is not the government’s role?!? Bullshit!!! The role of the government is to do whatever will make society function efficiently for all. The job of government is to address social problems that impair our economy, safety, democracy, etc. Did you make the same argument when we bailed out banks, the auto industry, farmers, blahblahblah? Our government is in the goddamn business of bail outs kids!!!!!! They do it All. The. Fucking. Time. So why not this? They can do it, they just won’t.

And FYI, I believe Biden and Pelosi are decent people. But individuals are not the System. The System is what rules, not individuals, and the system is soooooooooo incredibly complex that bringing change is very very slow, and the Corporatists are much faster than the system will ever be, that’s why we are losing this war too. Change takes multiple generations, just look at the Civil Rights Movement.

Everything we do has to be about lifting up the bottom, but we can’t wait on them any longer, the System is too fucked up now. I don’t have the answers and solutions. And I do believe that we do have the ability to fix this, BUT the solutions may lie outside the scope of government, I’m not sure how we climb out of this, again, we are talking about extremely complex problems that have tens of thousands of variables at play.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2022 7:27 PM

[quote] The role of the government is to do whatever will make society function efficiently for all

[quote]They can do it, they just won’t.

Haven't you answered your own question, r41, for WHY they just won't?

I wonder how the number of people who've paid off their student debt compares to the number of people whose debt would be forgiven, as well as the gross amounts for both groups.

The bigger problem is the unfortunate reality that most people cannot and won't accept because it's been ingrained for decades that a college education is the best way to get ahead and a symbol of success. The reality is that the vast majority of people should never have gone to college (and gotten into debt) in the first place. As long as we continue to push people who shouldn't go to college for whom it is neither an intellectual nor economic benefit, forgiving debt is merely a short-term solution to a longer-term problem. It won't solve anything, except for a specific group of people, but will cost a lot in many ways beyond simply financial.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2022 1:13 AM

What has to happen is for bankruptcy protection to extend to student loan debt. That along with the skyrocketing cost of education compared to the markets when graduates were entering the workforce has created a crippling mess for a large demographic. Which is a problem as more young people trade in university for trade school, which is causing an increase in a 'new' breed of 'conservative'. However sometimes life happens, you suffer from a major health issue, or have any kind of accident, OH WELL! This type of debt also plays a negative role in finding employment bc if you're in default your credit reports says that you're not really reliable, making it harder and harder to keep up with payments and cost of living.

Then there's the way debt gets parcelled off to random debt collection agency, getting some people paying for years without ever touching the principal. Further preying on the lack of comprehension and the lack of borrowers rights.

There's too many complications from this, but a solution is quite simple. All debt should be created equally with the same rights and protections. It is one of the cornerstone principles that this country was founded by.

There's also the demographic of students who have no business in their respective departments at schools that are blatantly exploiting them financially. Although they tend to have full financial backing by their parents (not all, but most, in my experience).

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote] All debt should be created equally with the same rights and protections. It is one of the cornerstone principles that this country was founded by.

R43 Created equally means that student loans would carry the prevailing interest rate for consumer loans, >18%, instead of 5%. Sound good to you? Then yes, you would have all the rights and protections of bankruptcy.

Our country was founded with no consideration whatsoever for an individuals financial decisions. Financial institutions didn’t begin offering consumer loan instruments until the 1920s, but they were boutique and didn’t become prevalent until the 1950s, and they were strictly collateralized until the late 1970s.

There is nothing of a financial nature in any of our founding documents, nor was there intended to be. The Federal Reserve was created in 1913.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2022 3:06 AM

For years, believe it or not, there was the goal of making state universities good and affordable. That started changing in the me 80s. Now the goal is to extract as much money out of each student as possible. Though it could be cheaper and still be just as good, today the goal is to make money. So it can be eighty thousand dollars to become a lawyer. $130,000 a doctor, $65,000 for a teacher. Tech and finance degrees can bust the bank for middle class Americans, who are terrible savers with little safety net.

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2022 3:27 AM

Democrats: Try to get student loan forgiveness passed.

Republicans: LOL, no.

DL: Democrats are bad for trying.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2022 5:26 PM

It was never possible and Democrats were well aware.

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2022 5:58 PM

[quote]For years, believe it or not, there was the goal of making state universities good and affordable. That started changing in the me 80s. Now the goal is to extract as much money out of each student as possible.

At UC Berkeley (in state tuition) 1985-86: $1,296/year

1995-96: $4,354/year

2004: Then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, then-UC President Robert Dynes and then-CSU Chancellor Charles Reed strike a private deal, called the Higher Education Compact, to increase reliance on private student fees. CA funds approximately 16% of total budget.

2005-06: $7,434/year

2009: The UC Board of Regents votes to increase tuition by 32 percent, pushing annual costs to more than $10,000. UC students protest by occupying buildings.

2011-12: $14,460/year

2020-2021: $14,226/year

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2022 7:24 PM

R47, of course it was possible. It got blocked at the last second by Republican lawsuits.

Are you some sort of mind reader?

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2022 12:17 AM

R49 The Republican lawsuits were perfunctory, as Biden's EO was unconstitutional and everyone knew that from the outset. Nancy Pelosi had said as much publicly.

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2022 12:40 AM

R47 Please reason why it wasn't possible when all that it required was republican votes?

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2022 12:40 AM

R50 Now you're a double mind-reader? You know what Biden and the Republicans both were thinking?

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2022 12:48 AM

I think the Biden administration will try to take it to the Supreme Court, where it will be shot down. The Supreme Court is extremely unpopular, and Democrats can point to the Republican-appointed justices as the reason loan forgiveness was "taken away".

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2022 1:02 AM

R52 It's called "context clues."

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2022 3:49 AM

[quote]Created equally means that student loans would carry the prevailing interest rate for consumer loans, >18%, instead of 5%. Sound good to you? Then yes, you would have all the rights and protections of bankruptcy.

Cough, cough, BULSHIT! You are comparing that to a credit card loan. That's not what it cost for a home loan for example. Each industry has a going rate their market tend to embrace. There is no reason a student loan INDUSTRY couldn't have a low interest rate since most of their customers will be income earners with big potential for financial growth.

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2022 4:52 AM

Or we could play it the Boomer way, just don't pay the student loans off at all, let them go into default without any repercussions. If worse comes to worse we could go BK. Oh wait, we did that already, millions of times in fact which is why a law was passed because it was such a common thing. Which is why Boomers are the reason a laws were changed to remove bankruptcy protection as an option for student loans. Yet another thing Boomers ruined for all the fallowing generations as they talk out of both sides of their mouths saying younger generations are "irresponsible".

Even worse, they have no problem with a Trump type business man working the BK system 5 or 6 times and even justify it as smart business strategy. Working the system is OK for grifty business men but not students.

by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2022 4:59 AM

I remember VP Mike Pence came to Ohio to big fanfare right before the 2020 election to tout a new electric truck factory. Two years later, it's about as successful as Trump's failed bid for a second term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2022 5:04 AM

The only people who actually gained from the student loan forgiveness promise were the tsunami of scammers that began reaching out to gullible debtors the moment it was announced.

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2022 6:30 AM

There had been talk for YEARS that Biden could do certain things with regard to student loan relief with an Executive Order, and he did what everyone had expected him to do for a very long time.

I know the Biden-hating types on Twitter, both the faux leftists and the rightwingers, said after the election that people were hoodwinked into voting Dem because Biden lied about student debt relief, but that came almost entirely from people upset that the red wave didn't pan out. They were lashing out like the sore losers they are.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2022 6:35 AM

No, of course not.

It would really have been a revolution if 73% of the self-lauding Gen Z eligible voters hadn't refused to vote in the recent elections. At a staggering 12% of all voters, they really made America stand up and tremble!

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2022 6:51 AM

[quote]Created equally means that student loans would carry the prevailing interest rate for consumer loans, >18%, instead of 5%. Sound good to you? Then yes, you would have all the rights and protections of bankruptcy.

[quote]Cough, cough, BULSHIT! You are comparing that to a credit card loan. That's not what it cost for a home loan for example. Each industry has a going rate their market tend to embrace. There is no reason a student loan INDUSTRY couldn't have a low interest rate since most of their customers will be income earners with big potential for financial growth.

Um, no. There are huge reasons why the student loan industry could't have a low interest rate.

It's probably closer to credit card debt cost than a mortgage loan. You'd be giving an unsecured loan of tens of thousands of dollars to an 18 year old with no job, no credit history with deferred payments. Interest rates reflect risk. I'd say that situation would likely be exceptionally high risk of default and not being paid back.

As a practical matter, if anything, based on the current demand for loan forgiveness, their customers do not have high income earning potential. We wouldn't be debating forgiving loans to people, otherwise. Finally, as the risk of default rises, the rates would be higher - it's why mortgage loan interest rates are lower than personal loan or credit cards. There would also likely be a lot fewer loans made in the first place. No bank is going to hand out risky loans at lower rates to the numbers of people currently getting them. Then again, I don't know that the final point is necessarily bad since most people shouldn't be going into that kind of debt to go to college in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2022 7:25 AM

R60 we're giving Gen Z credit for the suspicious election results.

by Anonymousreply 62November 21, 2022 10:39 AM

R61 That’s why it’s >18%. Home loans and car loans and collateralized personal loans are tied to a real (physical) asset. Your home can be foreclosed and your car repossessed and your collateral taken. Institutions cannot repossess an education, which means their loan is worth $0 if the debtor disclaims it.

Your points about credit worthiness are accurate. The interest rate would be variable based on the credit worthiness of the borrower, which would presumably be very high, for the reasons you mentioned, no income, credit history, etc. Even at a prevailing rate of >18%, loans would not be equally/universally approved.

by Anonymousreply 63November 21, 2022 11:26 AM

XXXXX,

This email provides you with an update on the one-time Student Loan Debt Relief plan that President Biden and I announced on August 24th.

We reviewed your application and determined that you are eligible for loan relief under the Plan. We have sent this approval on to your loan servicer. You do not need to take any further action.

Unfortunately, a number of lawsuits have been filed challenging the program, which have blocked our ability to discharge your debt at present. We believe strongly that the lawsuits are meritless, and the Department of Justice has appealed on our behalf. Your application is complete and approved, and we will discharge your approved debt if and when we prevail in court. We will update you when there are new developments.

The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to helping borrowers as they recover from the pandemic.

Education is a great equalizer, and we will never stop fighting for you!

In Service,

Miguel A. Cardona

U.S. Secretary of Education

by Anonymousreply 64November 21, 2022 11:50 AM

I got an email from the secretary of education, that my application was approved and my loan would be discharged when and if we prevail in court. So I'm really bummed about the lawsuits that are blocking in. I don't have a good feeling if it's left to the Supreme Court. But I can hope.

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2022 12:04 PM

r65, yeah that is the one i got also.

by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2022 12:06 PM

I'm going to assume r66 flipped the numbers and there isn't a poster claiming to be me.

by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2022 12:16 PM

Trump promised a big glorious wall all along the southern border THAT MEXICO WOULD PAY FOR!! Now we know he was trolling us the whole time!!

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2022 2:01 PM

Trump also RAN on the fact that he had lots of information that Obama's birth certificate was forged and he would be providing the proof anytime. Troll. He also assured us he would release his taxes 'very soon' Trolled again by Trump (expecially since he literally did the very opposite...he did everything to PREVENT the release of his taxes). But Biden said he would forgive student loans, then he moved on that promise and did everything he could to fulfill that promise, but the Republicans voted no. But now Biden is the con man here?

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2022 2:09 PM

R69. Biden and congressional leadership did nothing for 22 months. It was/is still a unified democratic government. (Until 1.03.2020) They didn't, and still haven’t, brought it to the floor for a vote of any kind. So republicans haven’t voted on it, nor have democrats.

Biden announced ~4 weeks ago, an executive action to call student loan forgiveness COVID relief, which is being challenged in the court.

Biden is being politically disingenuous. Trump is a con man, Biden isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2022 2:18 PM

^^ *(Until 1.03.2023)

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2022 2:19 PM

I doubt it was a ruse, but say it was: That's politics.

It wouldn't have worked as political theater if conservatives didn't leap up, take the bait and block the relief.

MIllions of young people now know for certain that Republicans don't give two shits about them and will, in fact, go to great lengths and even spend money to make sure they DON'T receive a benefit that was otherwise headed their way. It's a lesson they're not likely to forget at the voting booth. That's politics.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2022 2:24 PM

Yes, absolutely.

Also, the political parties love punting to (largely Unconstitutional) Executive Orders as well as the Judiciary for lawmaking so as not to hurt their re-elections by having actual policy records. The only thing they seem to come together on is more spending, more debt, and more pork.

There was no way the Congressional Democrats were going to pass this going into the midterms, because it remains very unpopular. And since there are [italic]always[/italic] upcoming elections, they never follow-through on these sky-high policies.

This is why I am amazed - and excited - for the possible DOMA repeal/new gay rights legislation that actually passed in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2022 2:31 PM

Well it remains popular with Democrats and people with student loans. It remains unpopular with Republicans and even then they had to make the rounds explaining why this is a bad thing to their constituents.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2022 2:39 PM

R54 So, you just made it up to blame the Dems for the Republicans bad actions.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2022 3:15 PM

Also see: It’s sad to see people on this forum defend and bend over backwards for Republicans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2022 3:17 PM

I was supposed to qualify for public service loan forgiveness with the agent on the phone going so far as to tell me to plan my celebration party. Glad I didn’t send out invites because it all went to shit and I received a letter that my loans are no longer eligible.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2022 3:37 PM

[quote] Pittman was an Aggie, Texas lawyer for 5 minutes before Rick Perry then Gimp Abbott then Trump appointed him a judge. Totally unqualified.

R12, that's bullshit. You made me look him up.

Politics aside: He's 46 and has been in law since he graduated law school. e clerked for a federal judge out of law school. He was an associate in a law firm for 3 years. He then went to Justice as a trial attorney for a number of years, then was an Asst. US Attorney in Texas, then back to Federal govt for work at Justice, the FDIC and the SEC enforcement. He was then made a state trial judge and then a state appellate judge.

He is as qualified as many Biden appointees and more qualified than Biden appointees.

One can disagree with his politics and rulings, but you can't reasonably call this guy unqualified.

On a Covid issue he ruled that United Airlines can mandate vaccines for their employees.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2022 4:10 PM

^^^ That should read

He is as qualified as many Biden appointees and more qualified than some other Biden appointees.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2022 4:11 PM

R78 thank you. I wasn’t going to look him up because he was confirmed. Democrats didn’t quash is nomination. Judicial nominees from either party tend to reflect the judicial philosophy of the party nominating them. By and large, they are faithful adjudicators. And yes, (gasp) some are faithless in their duties, and their decisions are overturned on appeal.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2022 4:19 PM

He did the same thing with abortion. Right before the election Biden said to vote democrat if we want abortion back and then of course nothing because he couldn't get the votes. politicians constantly make promises that they don't intend to keep to get votes.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2022 5:50 PM

Thassss right!! Stupid Biden promised us he'd get abortion rights back to how they were but hasn't yet. Liar!! Don't trust him anymore so i'll be voting for Ted Cruz who's an honest man and never lies.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2022 5:56 PM

[quote]The interest rate would be variable based on the credit worthiness of the borrower, which would presumably be very high, for the reasons you mentioned, no income, credit history, etc. Even at a prevailing rate of >18%, loans would not be equally/universally approved.

NOPE. You are assume all those students are deadbeats. In reality the vast majority, 70% will go on to have great career with higher paying jobs than Joe Schmoe day laborer. And that's what loans are anyways, a bet if you really look at it. And it's a good bet, like I said, most people who go to college do not default on their loans like Boomers did so extravagantly back in their day.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2022 5:59 PM

I didn't say I was voting for republicans I just said they make promises they don't intend to keep. As far as I can tell all politicians are corrupt on both sides. This country needs an overhaul.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2022 10:39 PM

r84 :both sides are basically the same. Both bad.

You're part of the problem r84

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2022 10:42 PM

[quote]You're part of the problem [R84]

No, you.

Because if you can't acknowledge both sides are corrupt, you'll continue to vote corruption into power whatever your political leanings. Helping usher in corruption is the very definition of being a problem.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2022 11:59 PM

Yes, both sides have corruption to some extent, but one side is septic tank level, steal elections and lie eveytime you face the public. Tell you what, make a list of everything you think the Democrats do that's corrupt, and a list of list of everything you think Republicans do that's corrupt. Compare.

by Anonymousreply 87November 22, 2022 12:36 AM

Biden's Secretary of Education "studied" the debt forgiveness problem for year before making his recommendation. This is the shit he came up with?

by Anonymousreply 88November 22, 2022 12:38 AM

Buying votes by making promises Biden knew he wasn’t keeping. Biden = Total Fucking Fraud! Fuck you Joe!

by Anonymousreply 89November 22, 2022 12:41 AM

The problem with all these progressives is there are terribly uneducated. They think the only way to debate someone with a different opinion is to call them names. But if we can't criticize our leaders, nothing ever changes. And the Democrats are better than the Republicans but are far from perfect.

by Anonymousreply 90November 22, 2022 1:26 AM

Yes, progressives are always falsely accusing Republicans of fraud and being election stealing thieves who aren't legitimate winners. That the very platform they START from. Of course they have no evidence. But it's barfed out by half their congress turds and their voters.

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2022 1:33 AM

Let's get this correct r89. Democratic voters desperately want help with the cost of higher education and student loans. Joe pitches student loan forgiveness while stumping for president. Should he also say, 'This is what i will fight for, but the Republicans will nix it, so lets not even push ahead on it' ??? This is a position he is passionate about, because it's something that can actually help. You expect him to run on, 'Don't want to better your lives because that's not possible due to Republicans!'?

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2022 1:42 AM

I hope it gets blocked. Make education more affordable, not cancel debt of a few. Many of which make a lot of money, due to their education. Political sway.

by Anonymousreply 93November 22, 2022 1:43 AM

[quote]Tell you what, make a list of everything you think the Democrats do that's corrupt, and a list of list of everything you think Republicans do that's corrupt. Compare.

I've already done this thought exercise for myself years ago which is how I've been brought to this conclusion.

How about you do it for yourself (offline)? And actually attempt to be non-partisan and honest while doing so.

I'll start you off...

Both are in bed with corporations and bankers. GO!

by Anonymousreply 94November 22, 2022 1:54 AM

I practiced law for 30 years, then took a position as an adjunct at one of the top 10 community colleges in the US. I taught 40 units a year and my classes were required, so the class size was over 4o students because I didn't turn anyone away. My take home pay as an adjunct was less than 20K a year--fortunately I didn't need the money--I worked for health insurance. Meanwhile the administrators made 6 figures. One of the reasons why my college was so highly rated was its top heavy administrative structure.The rating organizations like that sort of thing. Plus the fancy gym and theater complex and planetarium, etc. During the 10 years I taught, tuition and other costs skyrocketed, but it wasn't because the teachers--most of whom were adjuncts--were receiving pay raises. I had colleagues with advanced degrees who were on food stamps. Truth.

I think two reasons for ballooning costs are the increasing complexity of the administrative structure (salaries and compensation) and the competition among schools for infrastructure. Fancier dorms, gyms, cafeterias, theaters, gyms, athletic fields, etc. It's unnecessary and simply adds to the students' costs. Aristotle taught by drawing figures in the dirt with a stick.

by Anonymousreply 95November 22, 2022 3:01 PM

Biden has extended student loan pause yet again, this time until June 2023.

This shit is getting ridiculous. Fucking people haven't made payments for two or more years now and counting.

Meanwhile others have not seen any such pause and must continue making payments or else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2022 2:53 PM

R96 I’m afraid all these borrowers who have taken full advantage of Covid era deferrals will be in for a rude awakening in 2024 if Republicans retake the White House.

by Anonymousreply 97November 23, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote] Buying votes by making promises Biden knew he wasn’t keeping.

Yep, keep asserting something without proof. That'll convince 'em.

[quote] I’m afraid all these borrowers who have taken full advantage of Covid era deferrals will be in for a rude awakening in 2024 if Republicans retake the White House.

What do you think that will be? That they have to make the payments they have been expecting to pay? Oh, lordy, get my smelling salts!

by Anonymousreply 98November 23, 2022 7:50 PM

"...in 2024 if Republicans retake the White House."

THAT will be as devastating as the red wave...

by Anonymousreply 99November 24, 2022 2:26 AM

I think the forgiveness was on the level. It was one of Biden’s campaign promises. But judges are always interfering with these kinds of things. And now that we have a house of representatives controlled by the Republicans, you can probably kiss it goodbye if the courts decide only Congress can do this.

by Anonymousreply 100November 24, 2022 3:27 AM

R2, Republicans promised you "a new Healthcare plan in two weeks"

They promised you they'd focus on inflation but all they care about is Hunter Biden's laptop

by Anonymousreply 101November 24, 2022 3:31 AM

Some of you aren't seeing forest for the trees...

Democrats so called "blue wave" two weeks ago was driven in part by youth vote. That demographic came out in surprising numbers driven by several main reasons. In no particular order abortion and actions taken by Biden (including student loan EO) fueled that turn out.

Biden wins either way things go. If courts including SCOTUS strike down his student loan EOs, Biden will get credit for doing what he pledged do to, then come 2024 can say he should be reelected and democrats have majority in senate and House to finish job thwarted by courts.

OTOH if courts uphold Biden's student loan EOs that would be a huge feather in his cap going into 2024. Even if Biden doesn't run it will be a bonus for democrats who can say (rightly so) that GOP will kill any further efforts and attempt to undo what has been accomplished already.

by Anonymousreply 102November 24, 2022 4:39 AM

Weren't student loans created by Congress? If so, don't they have to be the branch that forgives them or whatever.?

They took away the tax deduction for the interest on them. I remember I was infuriated by that. iI was totally unfair.

It is also unfair that these loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

Student loans are already not treated the same as other loans which may be deductible like mortgages and business loans - and they are and disallowed for bankruptcy discharge. So anyone arguing they should be treated like any other loan then, fine, do that and allow discharge in bankruptcy and tax deductions as a business expense.

by Anonymousreply 103December 1, 2022 11:36 PM

[quote] student loan forgiveness

I don't like the word 'forgive' in this context.

Jesus forgave and God did. But Biden is just a vote-buying politician.

by Anonymousreply 104December 1, 2022 11:41 PM

R102 My asshole the "youth vote." The youth have not now, nor have they ever, voted in numbers.

by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2022 12:12 AM

Ha, ha, ha! Pay off your own debt. You asked for the loan and accepted the terms. It's yours to pay and yours alone.

by Anonymousreply 106December 2, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote] Neither a borrower nor a lender be,

[quote] For loan oft loses both itself and friend.

by Anonymousreply 107December 2, 2022 1:18 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 108December 3, 2022 2:47 AM

The Supreme Court has blocked forgiveness until cases can be heard. Meanwhile, Biden has his votes and couldn’t care less.

by Anonymousreply 109December 4, 2022 4:04 AM

Theres a life lesson for all. When you borrow money, you have to pay it back, and then some, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 110December 4, 2022 11:14 PM

No it was a legit attempt that only highlights Biden's incompetence, like the vaccine mandate EOs.

by Anonymousreply 111December 4, 2022 11:26 PM

R110 Unless you file for bankruptcy, or for student loans, get it forgiven through the PSLF program (like I did with $240k).

by Anonymousreply 112December 4, 2022 11:28 PM

That shouldn't be allowed and two wrongs don't make it right.

by Anonymousreply 113December 4, 2022 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!