Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grey Home Decor

All-grey furniture and decor is so drab and dated, it's surprising how many people have fallen for it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2022 9:45 PM

The lemmings from HGTV and afficiandos of Wayfair

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2022 1:20 AM

Ridiculous as acid-wash jeans

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2022 1:23 AM

What are the popular colours now?

I watched an episode of Queer Eye and Bobby needs to change it up. The AirBNB/Gaines look is stale.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2022 1:32 AM

It's bland, but inoffensive. Perfect for guys who like to host and put their guests at ease without offending them with bold choices. And let's be honest, we live in a culture where people, even close friends, are so quick to judge you behind your back or at least you feel constantly judged by the looks and side glances they give each other.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2022 6:26 AM

All white too. R4 got it right, its bland and so lacking in character, inoffensive but dull. OK for a Air B+B but I couldnt live with it

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2022 10:57 AM

Will be looked back with regret like women in their twenties a few years ago dying their hair grey

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2022 7:48 PM

I think it's not a bad idea to keep walls, floors and big furniture in neutral colors (grey, white, wood on the floor) and then accessorize with bold colors and eclectic art which you can switch more easily each season.

I mean, the whole painting walls in trendy colors and buy trendy furniture and do that at least twice a year to follow the latest trends, seems so expensive and such a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2022 8:08 PM

I don’t want any fabric that will show stains that easily.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2022 8:35 PM

To go with the diapers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2022 9:03 PM

A lot of Youtubers broadcast from all-grey rooms, but it's actually not a flattering backdrop and washes most people out

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2022 9:41 PM

Is it frau-y?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2022 10:27 PM

The color of depression.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2022 10:41 PM

Grey “accent” walls. Grey tile or counters. Grey textiles.

Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea should be literally kicked to death.

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2022 10:51 PM

Grey wood floors are in most newly renovated homes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2022 2:53 AM

It doesn't provide enough contrast to be a flattering background

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2022 4:56 PM

Drab AF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2022 2:49 AM

Ugh. Cool grey everything looks awful. I had a grey phase 10 years ago and I got all the paint chips and swatches… I couldnt get it to work. Tbe only time I think it works is if you are going for an industrial concrete look, but thats not paint and you need to warm that up with wood or leather.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2022 3:02 AM

We have medium gray flooring and a dark gray accent wall where the TV and fireplace are. Our furniture includes two dark gray sofas and two white, gray, tan and kiwi chairs. The drapes are white, gray and kiwi.

All in all we still love the color choices.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2022 3:18 AM

Not a big fan, but I've seen various grays deployed nicely. But I absolutely hate washed gray laminate floors. So depressing and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2022 3:47 AM

I have grey polished concrete floors in my loft and love them. The counters are black polished concrete which is not easy to maintain so I just let them be a little raggedy looking and it works with my industrial vibe. The floors are warmed up by large area rugs and furniture pieces that are a mix of wood (walnut and some distressed wood pieces), metal (mostly iron and cast aluminum), and marble. The couch is black leather. To keep it from looking too industrial I mixed in some glam pieces......a velvet chair, a baroque silver leaf framed mirror, a giant distressed bronze and crystal chandelier in the middle of the living space.

I despise those grey wood floors or any furniture pieces with those tones.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2022 5:39 AM

Vile

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2022 2:22 AM

I have a disturbing grey ring around my mussy. NOT hair!

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2022 4:52 AM

I don't like this trend in color. I also really hate the trend of painting the exterior of a house all black. Like, what the hell? It looks horrible.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2022 5:42 AM

Not exactly uplifting, but it's definitely better than brown.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2022 7:34 AM

Yeah, no. Gray white & beige remind me of renting. When I own my own place, I don’t need to use wall colors that remind me of an institution. We have calm yet saturated colors, and yes, the colors vary between rooms. We selected colors that we like, and flatter our skin tones. We use high end (Benjamin Moore Aura) paint that holds up well for years. As another poster opined, we switch out accessories way more often than wall paint.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2022 7:58 AM

I fuckin' love neutral color tones! It makes small spaces feel huge!

Love it!!!

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2022 8:28 AM

Blah

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2022 2:57 AM

Light grey and cool toned lavender look good together.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2022 8:50 AM

R28 = Frau

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2022 2:27 PM

I’ve shifted from gray to tan. I still prefer neutral for walls and basics. Art, pillows, decoration add color and can be changed. Repainting walls and buying new furniture is much more expansive and complicated. Living with extreme color is not calming.

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2022 9:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!