Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The People We Hate at the Wedding' on Amazon Prime

I was looking forward to this, mostly because of Alison Janney but it's gotten mediocre-to-stinko reviews.

Anyone watched it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2024 8:27 AM

Wow, who’s the hot guy there? Might watch just for him.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2022 1:20 AM

That's DL fave Allison Janney, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2022 1:57 AM

Gosh, Allison J. must be the busiest woman in Hollywood right now. It felt like only yesterday I saw her in that action movie, Lou.

Does she have some deadly illness, and she tries to make as much money as possible before she's too ill to work?

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2022 6:19 AM

OP here. I got through 15 minutes of this last night before turning it off.

I think there's enough LGB representation now that we're just ignoring bad LGB projects like the "Queer as Folk" reboot and this thing.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2022 11:54 PM

It was a snore. Woke and such a waste of a perfectly good Allison Janney. Kristin Bell is too stubby looking to be taken seriously, even playing the straight man in a comedy. Only watch as background noise while multi tasking. I recommend the six episode western, English. It's much better.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2022 12:47 AM

I love Allison Janney and god knows Dustin Milligan is beautiful - but this looks really bad.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2022 12:51 AM

Appropriate casting since Ben Platt is one of the people WE hate.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2022 12:51 AM

Indian guy is an ugo

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2022 12:53 AM

I quite like it. Fun movie. The way the dinner rehearsal goes down is hilarious. The "threesome" is a funny scene as well.

Sort of spoiler. Ben Platt's real life boyfriend Noah Galvin is featured in the end credits in a Polaroid titled "true *heart*!" Aw.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2022 7:02 PM

True love? I thought they broke up. How embarrassing that it’s immortalized in this film as true love.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2022 3:55 AM

WTF is this? We know Ben can’t play straight, but why can’t he play gay? I thought Kristen was in her 50s at least, especially with all the desperate preventative plastic surgery, but shockingly she’s only 42. Yet, she’s supposed to be the younger sister, but the actress who supposed to be a few years older is 37. So far there’s no information why the 37 year old is getting married this late in life. I thought Alison was in her 70s, but she’s younger. Shockingly, Dustin is 37, but could pass for late 20s, that Canadian lifestyle preserves one so well I guess. Who put this together, why the British angle and the French husband. Also the diversity seems forced.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 6:29 PM

R10, they didn't break up.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 6:31 PM

It’s not great but it was entertaining enough. Has so much potential to be better, though, so disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 6:33 PM

Wait, why is leading actress Lizzy Caplan reduced to basically a cameo here?

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 7:34 PM

I loved how Lezzy Caplan put on Kristen’s underwear for her.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 8:05 PM

Wait, this was based on a book by a gay author? If the movie was this bad, I can’t imagine how much worse the novel was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2022 3:47 AM

Watched it and thought it was good. Not great but certainly not bad.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2022 4:26 AM

It was written by two frau sisters who are writers on Bob’s Burgers and Deadpool 3.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2022 4:52 AM

Kristen Bell always plays unlikable characters. I couldn't stand her whiny neediness in Bridesmaids.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2022 5:32 AM

I watched it last week when I was in bed with a flu.

I love a good romcom. This was not a good romcom.

The daddy in the three way scene was hot. So there was that.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2022 7:54 AM

It was not good.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2022 8:06 AM

It was ok? Kristen was basically playing a more pathetic version of Veronica Mars. But i think Allison, Kristen and Ben were believable as a dysfunctional family. The threesome scene made me laugh. Although i was baffled by Lizzy's role, it was so small that anyone could have played it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2023 2:15 PM

Oh and Dustin Milligan constantly mentioning how hot Kristen was - talk about obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2023 2:19 PM

Ben Platt is …. not good. In anything.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2023 2:20 PM

Was she whining because she wasn't in that movie, R19?

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2023 2:20 PM

Ben Platt is uggggggly.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2023 2:45 PM

The problem with having unlikable characters, even if that’s the point, is that they are still unlikable. Who wants to watch a show or movie when you dislike so many people, especially when they don’t do a good job of explaining why the way they are.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2023 2:49 PM

Seems like AI could produce something better than this.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2023 3:16 PM

[quote] Kristen Bell always plays unlikable characters. I couldn't stand her whiny neediness in Bridesmaids.

Who did she play in Bridemaids?

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2023 6:23 PM

Kristen Bell wasn't in Bridesmaids. Kristen Wiig and Jillian Bell were though.

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2023 6:44 PM

Veronica Mars was likeable.

Also, isn't she a Disney Princess of some sort? I think she plays unlikeable to go against type.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2023 6:49 PM

Oh, I guess she was the Princess's sister, Anna, in Frozen, but still. Same exact drawing, different hair and dress.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2023 6:51 PM

OK I semi watched it while doing Sunday evening chores. IT SUCKS. But that Canadian guy is TRES MIGNON.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2023 11:30 PM

R31 or Kristen isn't that likable in real life. I think her appeal went down quite a bit once she started doing Dax's podcast.

by Anonymousreply 34March 20, 2023 10:23 AM

I'm a bit late to the party but I watched this last night. There were a couple of laugh until you couldn't breath and your eyeballs popped out moments. It was ok. Everybody was good and it was a pretty good story. RT Critics gave it 31%.

"Is that a sausage in the water?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2024 1:12 PM

Oof, some of those RT reviews are brutal.

[quote] “The People We Hate at the Wedding” will be all over your Prime Video home screen for the next few weeks – consider it not an invitation but hazardous waste signage

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2024 1:15 PM

I may be in the minority, but I think Ben Platt is sexy. Sue me. And Dustin Mulligan is hot.

Allison Janney is an icon and I don't mind Kristen Bell.

I agree with R17, it wasn't great, but I liked it well enough. Well, not well enough to watch it again, that is.

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2024 1:20 PM

I watched this last night and as others have said, it was so bad.

One of the things I always pick up on watching films is the casting of siblings. You have to believe these people know each other inside out, even if they don't look that similar. So much of it is unspoken and no verbalised. Diane Keaton and Meryl Streep in Marvin's Room, Toni Collette and Steve Carell in Little Miss Sunshine, Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer in Nope.

I do not believe Kirsten Bell, Ben Platt and the English mixed race woman ever met each other, let alone met their mother Alison Janney. Why is Kirsten Bell so much older than her older sister?

The rest was just shite. Written by someone who has never been to Britain. What kind of English professor can afford a flat like that in London? Julian Ovenden is very attractive but my god he was awful in this.

by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2024 8:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!