Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who are your favorite gay poets?

Inspired by the thread on favorite novels by gay authors.

I'll start: Richard Siken, Frank O'Hara, Arthur Rimbaud.

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2023 3:31 AM

Walt Whitman

WH Auden

Emily Dickinson (? who knows what that lithe spirit was)

James Fenton

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2022 11:05 AM

Hart Crane

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2022 11:48 AM

R1 I’m a sucker Whitman. Bitch made me love poetry.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2022 12:50 PM

R3 Honestly I couldn't get into Leaves of Grass in college. Might try reading the collection again. What are your favorites?

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2022 12:52 PM

I always liked the work of (bisexual, leaning toward men) Seigfreid Sassoon.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2022 1:05 PM

Rumi and Shams

Although Rumi soars above

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2022 1:09 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 2:47 PM

Alex Dimitrov, who's living, is very good and very gay.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 4:21 PM

Hi, R8. I love Alex Dmitrov.

This is my favorite piece of his. It hits hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2022 1:58 AM

Robert Graves

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2022 2:01 AM

Whitman (I think he does change as one gets older. It's also why he kept writing LoG several times over through his life. And to me he has to be heard out loud - like Ginsberg. Ginsberg out loud is so much better than Ginsberg only in the eyes. But I digress.)

Cavafy (his erotic-lite poems hit me so much harder than more explicit Gay poets).

Auden

Thom Gunn (He wasn't much for me when I was younger, but in the last year I've read and newly appreciated his stuff.)

Frank O'Hara

Lorca

TS Eliot (I but the argument he was latent...and the... frisson?.... of his closed down yearnings make it hotter. I just know the young French guy who died in the war was the love of his life - not that middlin' Unitarian in Massachusetts.)

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2022 2:09 AM

I can’t believe you guys forgot Rod McKuen!

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2022 2:10 AM

I want to like Hart Crane more than I do. There are lines that just shatter, but whole poems seem so obtuse and don't invite me to take the time to let them do their work. Other poets, Baudelaire, Rimbaud etc are also difficult but seem to return more on the invest.

And let's not forget the ladies : the Grim and Scary Ann Sexton (I like) and Adrienne Rich (whom I want to like more than... oh, never mind).

But a great, great poet, not just to list because she was a Lesbian: Elizabeth Bishop. Few poems, but some of the best of her century.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2022 2:14 AM

Bump, for the new year. Surely there must be some who read poetry on DL.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2023 10:34 PM

Federico Garcia Lorca

Langston Hughes

Walt Whitman

Maya Angelou

Rupert Brooke

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2023 10:40 PM

all of them. duh!

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2023 10:58 PM

Was Lord Byron gay? All the paintings and pictures I see of him make him out to be a very handsome man. I fantasize that he was gay and made love to the many men he met in his travels.

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2023 4:57 AM

R17 Byron was pansexual. He'd fuck cousins, half-sisters, married women, men. No hole was safe from his attentions. Eventually he had to leave England to avoid charges of buggery.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2023 3:58 PM

Emily Dickinson rocks !

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2023 5:13 PM

John Ashbery.

(Emily Dickinson fell in love with several different men, there's no evidence she should be on this list.)

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2023 5:21 PM

Emily was romantic with her brother’s wife . Back in the 1800’s puritan Massachusetts, you have to fake being straight . She could be no, but no way totally straight

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2023 5:33 PM

Could be bi ☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2023 5:34 PM

R20, I have read the collected letters of Emily Dickinson, and of course her cunning manner made it plain that her relationships with numerous women were boldly personal, intimate and romantic. She never had sex with a man, but she was direct in her (likely not acted on) sexuality. It's called "metaphor."

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2023 5:49 PM

Heaney, Yeats, Larkin, Ted Hughes, Auden, Emily Dickinson, Eavan Boland, Carol Ann Duffy, Eliot, Dylan Thomas

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2023 6:00 PM

Oh fuck I missed the gay part

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2023 6:00 PM

Kit Marlowe. Very Pagan, very debauched, very smug and rude, very gay. Love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2023 2:52 AM

R24 Ha, I thought we were going to get a whole lot of DL "I know he's gay!!" info. I think Larkin was probably the most non-gay poet I can think of. Mega hetero sleaze.

by Anonymousreply 27March 16, 2023 3:30 AM

DL Fave Dylan Geick.

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2023 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!