Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The COVID Vaccines Really Do Work

First of all I am 69 years old. On Monday I decided to go grocery shopping and for the first time since the pandemic started I went out without a mask on. After marketing I went to another store and didn't wear a mask there either. Yesterday I was feeling a little out of sorts during the day and by 9:30pm I was very sick. My temperature went up to 102.1, my head was throbbing, and every muscle in my body was aching as if I had been beaten with a sledge hammer. I was so dizzy I had trouble standing up and walking. I took one of my COVID tests and it came back positive. I started taking some leftover 800 mg Ibuprofens I had to help reduce the fever and I went to bed at10pm. I did not sleep one second all night long. It was truly a miserable night. I got out of bed at 5am this morning and took my temperature again and it was 100.2. I took another ibuprofen. I sat down in my lounge chair, put my feet up and tried to get some sleep. I woke up about 30 minutes ago and I did feel better. Just took my temperature again and it was down to 98.8 (almost normal). I've had 2 vaccinations and 3 boosters and next week I plan on getting the newest booster.

At my age needless to say I was scared to death last night that COVID might kill me. I've seen it kill lot younger people than me within a few days of coming down with it. I have to think if I had not been vaccinated so much it might have turned out much different. I'm not 100% by any means, but I feel considerably better than I did just hours ago.

I definitely will not be going out without a mask again. I plan to stay home until Monday and not let anyone in the house.

So kids, PLEASE get vaccinated or boosted if you haven't.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2022 5:07 AM

Dunno where you’re at OP, but here if you get covid between vaxxes, you have to wait for three months after you caught it. That’s because covid became your additional booster to the immune system.

You also seem to be ahead of the vaxxes by one booster. I’ve had two vaxxes, then two boosters, and recently the third booster with the new bivalent in it. It sounds like you haven’t given enough time between boosters, like you’re supposed to.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2022 3:35 PM

No, here they check when you had your last vaccine or booster. If you're trying to get one too soon they'll tell you to come back. My last (3rd) booster was almost 2 months ago. You have to wait for 2 months after the last booster before you can get the bivalent booster. Next week will be just after the 2 months.

by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2022 3:48 PM

2 days of absolute misery and now I'm feeling about 95% well. Can't wait to get that bivalent booster as soon as they'll let me.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2022 10:03 AM

OP, you might be interested in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2022 10:11 AM

I think R1 is right

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2022 10:19 AM

My partner got Covid and my immune system, bolstered by the vax and boosters, successfully fought it off.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2022 10:20 AM

R1 is not right. There have been 2 vaccinations and 3 boosters. The newest bivalent booster will be the 4th booster. It is impossible to "get ahead" with boosters. They look at your vaccination card before they even give you a booster to make sure you qualify for it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2022 10:56 AM

If R1 is getting the bivalent shot as his 3rd booster then he missed one booster shot.

This is from the linked article.

[quote] Late last year, studies showed that third shots (boosters) of COVID vaccines were effective at providing a little extra protection from infection — particularly in the face of the Omicron variant. Some countries are now offering fourth doses, but scientists say that endless boosting might not be a viable strategy, nor is it how these vaccines were meant to be used.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2022 11:01 AM

R7 I believe you are making some big assumptions about "they"

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2022 4:26 PM

I’ve had all 5 shots (2 OG shots, 2 boosters, & the bivalent booster) & came down with Covid for the first time onMonday. I had a 103 fever on days 2 & 3, but other than that the worst thing is it’s turned into a garden variety sinus infection for me, virtually no coughing, everything is stuck in my sinus, & unfortunately not in my nostrils, but the sinus pockets below my eyes. I get a sinus infection about once a year or every other year & was due for one. So, if that’s the worst thing to come from Covid, I’ll gladly take it. Though I wonder how high my fever would’ve gone had I not had the 5 shots (and the first 4 were Moderna.).

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2022 11:37 PM

OP, I appreciate you acknowledging that you were reckless. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2022 1:10 PM

This thread has been sponsored by the mask lobby.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2022 1:13 PM

I don’t know if this means vaccines are a good thing of if they just aren’t that effective against this novel virus. My parents also got 5 shots and just came down with Covid - Thanksgiving is canceled this year. What’s the point of 5 shots if it can’t prevent infection? Although theoretically it should make them less sick and for a shorter period, although they are both feeling pretty crummy right now. Covid sucks.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2022 3:56 PM

I don't believe a trip to the grocery store without a mask will give you covid. Everyone would be sick right now. I go to grocery stores every day with out a mask and I'm not even boosted. Hardly anyone in my town has been wearing a mask in 2022. My vaccinated/boosted friend got covid in January after the funeral of her stepdad (not Covid death) where no one wore masks--not surprising.

It's funny how the OP closes his post with an urgent plea to get all your shots when he got Covid anyway. If you don't want to risk getting Covid don't go to events, parties or gatherings without a good mask. I'm not wearing a mask for the rest of my life every time I walk out the door.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2022 4:16 PM

Are people still trying to get prescriptions for Paxlovid? It makes a huge difference if you get sick (you recover a lot more quickly) and there's also evidence it helps to prevent long Covid, but people just seem to want to tough it out all the time.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2022 4:18 PM

I've had all the shots. I stopped wearing a mask when I got the 4th one (2nd booster) last March, unless I went in someplace that required a mask (e.g. doc's office). I have been very careless, maybe. Work from home, so I am spared continual exposure to others in an office every day. I have still not come down with Covid. In fact, I haven't had so much as a cold in over 4 years now. It seems very weird. I used to get at least a week-long cold every year.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2022 4:20 PM

r14 you're delusional

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2022 4:23 PM

OP Surely if the vaccines worked you would not have contracted Covid?

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2022 4:28 PM

People were dying routinely. Freezer trucks were holding bodies because morgues couldn’t take them all. Now, vaccinated people feel crummy for a couple days.

And the willfully ignorant go on. And on. And on.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2022 4:52 PM

R19 Fat people, with comorbidities?

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2022 4:59 PM

Are you seriously asking for a link to freezer trucks? You’re not aware of those?

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2022 5:08 PM

[quote]Dunno where you’re at OP,

My guess is somewhere they speak English.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2022 5:09 PM

Covid? I don't want to catch the flu or get a cold. If masks can decrease my risk for any of that I'm fine with wearing masks in grocery stores.

It's not t like I'm in the store that long. And I don't give a fuck what other people think or say about wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2022 5:15 PM

R21 No, I am not in America, land of fatties who of course died.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2022 5:15 PM

Not saying vaccines don't prevent you from getting it worse, but there's something very funny about this tale of abject misery with the headline, The COVID Vaccines Really Do Work.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2022 5:17 PM

I find it hard to believe that just 6% of Americans haven't had covid. Only one person in my family of 30+ has had it. Though none of them have ever taken any precautions, so maybe they've all had asymptomatic infections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2022 5:46 PM

R17 You're dumb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2022 5:56 PM

Do you know how the polio vaccine works, OP? That is how most vaccines are supposed to work, unlike the covid vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2022 6:03 PM

WTF, R26? I do not believe that. How did they come up with that figure?

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2022 7:44 PM

I've had 4 shots, I haven't worn a mask since March 2021 and still haven't gotten Covid. I don't care if someone wears a mask, but I do think people who are still masking have either been traumatized by Covid or (and don't come for me) making some kind of political statement.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2022 9:15 PM

I worked the census all over, masking only when necessary because we were forced to while at the door. No vaccine, no habit changes, out and about lots of places. Never had covid once. The numbers were always a lie to make billions scaring people into getting the vaccine. It's not safe.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2022 9:29 PM

Covid finally got me about 2 weeks ago. Fully vaxxed and boosted, still feel like crap. Very fatigued still with a lingering cough. Our Thanksgiving dinner is canceled, some of our invited guests have covid, rsv, flu, sinus infections. Lots of ick around.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2022 9:35 PM

[quote]Are people still trying to get prescriptions for Paxlovid? It makes a huge difference if you get sick (you recover a lot more quickly) and there's also evidence it helps to prevent long Covid, but people just seem to want to tough it out all the time.

I got my original shot and two boosters last year (end of November was my second booster). My doctor advised against any more boosters after that (I've been diagnosed with Afib, though don't have regular attacks - just two in five years). I did get my flu shot in early October, on the rec of my doctor who warned this was going to be a bad flu season.

For the first time, I tested positive for COVID on Nov 13 - that felt like a head cold (scratchy throat, post nasal drip, headache, stuffy nose, on / off headache, fever of 103). My doc put me on Plaxovid right away (my insurance covered every penny) and luckily, I didn't have a bad week. I did stay out of work for last week and this week (only two days of work this week) and did isolate. Without the Plaxovid, I probably would have done much worse and my recovery wouldn't have been so quick.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2022 9:46 PM

Or maybe they don't work. You were hit pretty hard for a dude whose had all those vaccines and boosters and being in good health otherwise. But appreciate your message

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2022 10:46 PM

[quote]I do not believe that. How did they come up with that figure?

A mathematical model. And this is a preprint, so we'll see if it passes muster with other scientists.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2022 11:35 PM

[quote] What’s the point of 5 shots if it can’t prevent infection?

The vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID. It just helps to keep an infection from getting so serious that it kills you.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2022 11:36 PM

[quote]What’s the point of 5 shots if it can’t prevent infection?

The same point to getting the flu shot every year even though it doesn't necessarily prevent infection.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] It's funny how the OP closes his post with an urgent plea to get all your shots when he got Covid anyway.

You sound too stupid to breathe. How the fuck many times does someone have to tell you that the vaccines DO NOT KEEP YOU FROM GETTING COVID. They just help to keep you from dying from it.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2022 11:42 PM

Even though at this point they're only marginally effective I would take one every six months but not more frequently than that. People take the flu shots every year now so it's not that much of a jump.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2022 11:55 PM

[quote]Our Thanksgiving dinner is canceled, some of our invited guests have covid, rsv, flu, sinus infections. Lots of ick around.

Dayum!

Where were you planning to host this dinner, Shady Pines?

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote]the rec of my doctor who warned this was going to be a bad flu season.

Maybe it’s me, but don’t they say this every year? It’s like the predictions for winter in October, “it’s going to be a very snowy winter.” Bitch, please. How do you know, Sam?

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2022 4:40 PM

R38 Fuck off, the OPs story was about not wearing a mask and catching covid, so you would assume that's what he'd close with--wear a mask people!

It was just a little observation, you pompous prick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2022 2:18 AM

As things stand now get the jab every 6 months and take vitamin D (4,000 mg daily) and drink a glass of orange juice every morning which is like mainlining vitamin C. Also don't be fat.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2022 11:49 AM

I’m going to start using the term “marketing.”

It sounds real classy-based!

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2022 11:58 AM

I was completely up-to-date on vaccinations and am just getting over 3 weeks of mild to moderate Covid. I'm over 65 with several underlying conditions but not a fat. They gave me antivirals for the first five days.

Of course one can't prove a negative but given my pretty long Covid experience and all other factors I probably would have been one of those bodies in the morgue trucks if not for the vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2022 12:06 PM

R44: the use of that term rather points to the British Commonwealth countries

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2022 12:53 PM

The medical practise I'm with wants me to get a booster as well as a flu jab. I only just turned 30, and the first couple of Pf!zers almost finished me off (was sick and in pain from them for months, literally). Have had COV!D once or twice but mildly, with it hitting my menstrual cycle worse than my respiration (periods still fucked up). Hard to know whether to go for more vaccs or not.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2022 1:00 PM

Latest stat I heard (from a doctor) is that if you have had your two original shots and one booster, your chance of getting serious illness is one-third of what it would be with only the two originals, but if you have had at least two boosters, your chance of serious disease is one-THIRTIETH of if you'd only had two shots.

They reduce your chance of getting it at all a measurable amount, but it's nothing to write home about. That's because (a) viruses vary greatly, and corona and flu viruses have always been impossible to prevent altogether; and (b) no other vaccine you've had was developed and marketed inside a year. It's safe and it stops you dying: what more do you want in that timeframe? Research is continuing into reducing transmission.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2022 1:04 PM

R48 That's not what Norwegian experts have said. They said the fourth shot (second booster) is only needed for those at risk for serious illness from covid. They said it's wasted and useless on those with normal immune systems as the effect of the fourth shot only lasts a few weeks anyway. Oh and btw, before you call me anti-vaxx, I'm not. I have my three shots. I'm considering taking the fourth, but I'm not sure. I will probably take it, to be on the safe side, even if it is useless.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2022 2:23 PM

Here is the article. The expert does not recommend the fourth shot on those younger than 65. She says the vaccine is already old, in that it doesn't help with the new omicron variants in circulation now. That goes for the specific omicron vaccine too. The new variants here in Norway are immune to the vaccine, so it's useless anyway. I'm young (35) and triple vaxxed yet I got VERY sick when I got covid. I think I had one of the new mutations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2022 2:32 PM

From WaPo:

[quote] Covid is no longer mainly a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Here’s why. Image without a caption Analysis by McKenzie Beard November 23, 2022 at 7:46 a.m. EST

[quote]For the first time, a majority of Americans dying from the coronavirus received at least the primary series of the vaccine. Fifty-eight percent of coronavirus deaths in August were people who were vaccinated or boosted, according to an analysis conducted for The Health 202 by Cynthia Cox, vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

[quote]It’s a continuation of a troubling trend that has emerged over the past year. As vaccination rates have increased and new variants appeared, the share of deaths of people who were vaccinated has been steadily rising. In September 2021, vaccinated people made up just 23 percent of coronavirus fatalities. In January and February this year, it was up to 42 percent, per our colleagues Fenit Nirappil and Dan Keating.

[quote]“We can no longer say this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” Cox told The Health 202.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2022 3:02 AM

Georgia journalist is one of few people in world who's completely immune to ALL known variants of COVID and his blood would still kill virus even if it was diluted by 90%

A journalist in Georgia has discovered he has 'super blood' that makes him among the most immune to COVID-19 in the world.

Tests on John Hollis, 56, revealed that his blood could be diluted 10,000 times and still kill 90 percent of the coronavirus.

Hollis' blessing goes further: His antibodies aren't just present in abundance but their potency appears to not deplete with time.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2022 12:48 AM

[quote]What’s the point of 5 shots if it can’t prevent infection?

It's the end of 2022 and people are still asking this. Incredible.

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2022 3:39 AM

I've been boosted twice since the initial series of 2 shots, most recently in early November. Just tested positive a week ago, 3 days after my partner initially tested positive. I should have been more diligent in isolating from him, but I think I had some booster hubris. My symptoms were much less severe than his, but it's still been a pain in the ass. I suppose I'm back to ~80% after only a week, which I suppose is due to having been recently boosted.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2022 5:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!