Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What about Georgia...

OK. It's time for some serious (as only DL can) analysis of what happened in Georgia. At the Debate between Kemp and Stacey Abrams, a Reporter asked why Stacey was trailing since the majority of Georgia voters agreed with her positions on almost everything. She really didn't give a good answer. Now I know that turn out was lower than they hoped in Fulton County, and Atlanta stronghold. But she got creamed. And Warnock who is the pastor at the historic Ebeneezer Baptist Church (MLK Jr Church) couldn't get to 50% . Yes he was just shy by 6 tenths of one % but still. It should not have been that close. Kemp's win was decisive. 59% . That's bad. I know a lot of GOP women split tickets to vote for Kemp and Warnock, but not enough. I know the ad game wasvicious with saturation smears of Warnock and lies about his record. But I'm new to GA, and I am still very puzzled about why Stacey did so poorly, even though most voters agreed, and why Warnock couldn't rise about the negative ads to kick Hershel's ass. I now turn it over to you for your analysis and opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 2:17 AM

Disappointing but not entirely unexpected loss. I just finished an article in about Georgia and how fucked up a state it is, twenty per cent of people living in poverty, abortion ban, the usual MAGA shit. The trouble is, Abrams said as much and it turned people off, or so the analysts opine. Another theory is Abrams was too obviously focused on national ambitions. Even though almost every politician wants to be President, voters don't want to hear you say it out loud. Still another criticism is that she is just not a natural glad-hander and schmoozer but more of a strategist and policy wonk. 'While she was having zoom meetings with black business people, Kemp was having cocktails with them (NYT).'

Whatever, enjoy your Republican, backwards shithole state. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2022 4:39 PM

I live in Georgia. I do not believe she brought the same energy to this campaign. Her campaign felt off in a way I still cannot quite verbalize. I will agree that instead off making general statements about how fucked up Georgia is, she should have been more specific about how she would solve these problems. Kemp was also smart to give a small stipend to poor people on Medicaid and Snap just before the election.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2022 5:42 PM

R2 I felt the same way. And some of the early ads were a waste of money IMO. She spent a lot of time and money on "getting to know you" ads. The GOP did a pretty good job of demonizing her in the moneys leading up to the campaign. So I'm guessing her favorables were down. To reverse that they decided to soft filter Stacey and have her in family settings, cooking, playing with kids, etc. talking about family and telling her story, growing up, her parents, etc. Campaigns need two tracks: One where you are selling your candidate, and the other where you are going after your opponent. Several things If elt were a turn off: She kept talking about Let's make history by electing me! Secondly, yes, she promoted herself as a national figure going on The View, etc. A celebrity.. R1 has that right. Thirdly, she was asked maybe at her first debate, if she would accept the results of the election if she lost and she started talking about rigged elections and voter suppression, etc. and it sounded almost Trumpian. I get what she was saying, but the way she said it rattled a lot of people. She tried to "clarify" her comments but it didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2022 2:19 PM

Well, fuck them! When old, fat farts are coming out to vote like moths to a flame, while younger and stronger incels are voting by their lips on TikTok, the Democrats are fucked.

[quote]Warnock leads Walker by 24 percentage points among voters aged 18-49, while Walker leads by 9 points among voters aged 50 or older, according to the poll from AARP Georgia. The two groups differ in their preferences by a total of 33 points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 2:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!