Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Margot Robbie (allegedly) flops again

[...]

by Anonymousreply 169December 12, 2022 1:35 PM

They are so desperate to turn a starlet like her into a super A-lister, that it borders on comical. She makes JLaw look like Meryl Streep in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote]People keep telling me that she's Hollywood's brightest star since Jennifer Lawrence

And..., OP?

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2022 10:41 PM

She needed a Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2022 10:50 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2022 2:04 AM

All those flops and she’s in her thirties too which is not good for an actress.

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2022 2:07 AM

There are no more stars in the sky just rocks rolling around in the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2022 2:08 AM

I’d love to audition her brother for side-piece, I’m casting currently.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2022 2:08 AM

To be fair it’s not like she going to be the direct cause of this likely flopping. It had flop written all over it. 100th film about old Hollywood, bloated running time, Brad domestic violence allegations, etc. I don’t have a problem with her per se but she is getting ridiculously overexposed. How many more chances are they going to give her?

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2022 2:15 AM

The Barbie movie will be awful.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2022 2:17 AM

I forgot about the Barbie movie. If Babylon and Barbie disappoint, she will really be in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2022 2:21 AM

That tweet doesn't make it sound like she flops--it clearly says it's the film that fails her. That's not on her.

There are ones that make it sound worse, like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2022 2:21 AM

Another saying the script failed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2022 2:22 AM

Hmmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2022 2:23 AM

Pretty damning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2022 2:23 AM

Hmmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2022 2:24 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2022 2:25 AM

But...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2022 2:25 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2022 2:26 AM

Another flop for Damien Chazelle.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2022 2:27 AM

She's ALREADY a star, OP Troll. You're too late, fuckface. She's fine and does not send her love. Her calendar is booked.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2022 2:28 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2022 2:30 AM

Snowflake OP seems pretty upset. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2022 2:33 AM

I don’t think it matters. She’s one of the few names people know in that age group.

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2022 2:41 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2022 2:43 AM

I'm so upset by this thread I'm going into hiding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2022 2:45 AM

Goodbye "Silver Screen"! Hello "Netflix"!!!

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2022 2:55 AM

Oh no! Who will ever have an interest in me again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2022 2:56 AM

She seems fine but doesn't really have the IT factor. Barbie will be her last chance before people really start to notice the box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2022 3:00 AM

I could play Poison Ivey better than anyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2022 3:03 AM

It doesn’t sound like the string of bad films would have been any better without her, so it’s too bad she’s being blamed.

It WOULD appear she could use help choosing better scripts - though really, I’m not convinced there’s a wealth of excellent scripts out there that stars are just choosing to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2022 3:14 AM

What’s the word on Jean Smart? I thought at one point she was an early favorite for Best Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2022 3:27 AM

R30, I think David O. Russell will get all the blame for Amsterdam. He’s someone that a lot of people have wanted to have a massive failure for a long time.

And we still don’t know how Babylon will do. Most of the people who hate it compare it to Baz Luhrmann, and yet except for Australia, his movies usually over-perform at the box office. That’s not the guarantor of box office failure that people think.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2022 3:47 AM

This thread is probably the work of ugly people. Or non whites who are racist toward white actors. Go watch wakanda forevah.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2022 3:51 AM

[quote]Her stardom is built on shaky ground. A-list stars usually have to carry a movie to commercial success before getting the kind of push she's been getting.

They're doing the same thing with Zendaya. The only movie she was lead actress in was Malcolm & Marie, which was one of the biggest flops in Netflix history. She's only been a supporting actress in a couple of successful movies, but those movies would have been successful with or without her. At least Margot has been the lead in several movies and even got an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2022 4:03 AM

I think Hollywood is desperate to bring back movie stars and A-listers. “Babylon” would have worked in 2005 with Renee Zellweger, it doesn’t work in 2022.

No one wants to see this Oscar bait shit anymore. That’s all it looks like to me.

And Margot Robbie took the checks to this and Amsterdam and it was a bad move.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2022 4:26 AM

David O. Russell has a notorious reputation for being a WORLD CLASS CUNT! I witnessed it first hand on set. He's a POS!

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2022 4:36 AM

Disney cancelled her Pirates movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2022 4:48 AM

Who would want to do that crap. The first one was 20 years ago. It's a tired franchise with nowhere left to go.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2022 4:50 AM

Margot Robbie has the looks and allure of a Baywatch babe or Playboy playmate that they're trying to make happen.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2022 4:52 AM

I don’t think Lily Tomlin uses the internet out of principle, so I’m hoping R36 is Amy Adams, who probably doesn’t have anything better to do.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2022 4:58 AM

R29 the original Poison Ivy, or the one after Drew Barrymore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2022 4:58 AM

The flops are bad - maybe fatal for a while. She'll make a comeback for at least a supporting run and a lot of attention.

The guy who said she needed a Harvey were right. Harveys are pigs but they do move these girls forward.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2022 4:59 AM

She's had her own production company since 2014. She doesn't need a Harvey to move forward.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2022 5:01 AM

R31, from Deadline:

[Quote] But perhaps the single best written and performed scene, for me at least, was between Jean Smart’s feared gossip columnist and Pitt’s fading movie star as she brutally gives him the truth about his career. Though she is in the film throughout, this is the one scene where Smart really gets her moment and the actress delivers it chillingly. Supporting Actress is tough this year, but there could be a place for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2022 5:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2022 6:06 AM

With four or five flops in a row, whatever her "production company" is doing it isn't moving her forward. At least not forward to successful films for Miss Margot.

Almost all the beautiful young actresses for the past 30 years have gotten their big breaks through Harvey, or a comeback through Harvey, or an Oscar through Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2022 6:07 AM

And all this time I thought it was chaste chamber piece.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2022 6:08 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing it, and I haven't been to a theater since Covid. Not a DL fav, but I loved La La Land. Must have seen it 20 times by now.

by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2022 7:09 AM

Another mediocre white woman that y’all keep trying to make happen.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2022 7:15 AM

Nice fake race baiting.

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2022 7:19 AM

I agreed with you OP, it should have starred your favorite actress, Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2022 7:34 AM

As if there aren't plenty of mediocre Black women as well? Award shows these days seem like the population is 90% Black. The Academy Awards have been ruined. Thanks Will, Jada and the rest of that trash.

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2022 7:57 AM

Die in a grease fire, fucktard racist piece of shit, r52.

by Anonymousreply 53November 16, 2022 8:00 AM

The tired phrase “Mr. Notalent’s love letter to SomeBullshit” should be banished.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2022 8:01 AM

R53 lick my pink rosebud. After I've had bad Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2022 8:10 AM

I wonder if it is true that the film has blackface.

by Anonymousreply 56November 16, 2022 8:20 AM

She needs to disappear in the outback in Australia. No one cares about her

by Anonymousreply 57November 16, 2022 8:20 AM

Is this thread by the Sydney Sweeney troll?

by Anonymousreply 58November 16, 2022 8:26 AM

She will survive, same as Naomi Watts, another pretty blond, who has survived 5 consecutive flops and still features in some big-budgeted projects right now.

It's OP who has to worry about her ballooned weight. Semaglutide is your friend, OP.

by Anonymousreply 59November 16, 2022 8:36 AM

It's pretty repugnant to suggest that anyone needs a "Weinstein". I'm certain he destroyed way more lives than he helped. And, in any situation with a perceived 'positive' outcome, the ends don't justify the means.

I think Margot is just fine. She'll find better scripts.

You can't deny, she is stunningly beautiful, too.

by Anonymousreply 60November 16, 2022 8:48 AM

R60 It’s revolting but true. Schnozlestein made a lot of unremarkable girls happen. And yes, there was human wreckage in his wake.

by Anonymousreply 61November 16, 2022 8:52 AM

R57 It can be arranged.

by Anonymousreply 62November 16, 2022 9:08 AM

she is beautiful but forgettable. i sometimes got her confused with Jaime Pressly..

by Anonymousreply 63November 16, 2022 9:55 AM

It looks like a “The Day of the Locust” rehash, without the literary gravitas to support it.

by Anonymousreply 64November 16, 2022 11:08 AM

R49 well, y’all keep trying to make mediocre black barbie beyonce happen. She’s an iffy singer at best.

by Anonymousreply 65November 16, 2022 11:51 AM

Good I hope it puts the breaks on her. I’m tired of seeing the same mediocre people in everything. Margot, Chalamet, Zendaya, etc.

by Anonymousreply 66November 16, 2022 2:08 PM

Oh, so THAT"S what you are. The Timmy, Zendaya and now Margot troll. That makes sense. Afraid of a new crop of actors. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 67November 16, 2022 2:26 PM

I’m afraid of a new crop of actors, as well!

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2022 4:04 PM

She needs to start being more selective with scripts. Her vanity fair cover is absolutely gorgeous though. Very natural looking, like something out of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 69November 16, 2022 4:14 PM

She is gorgeous but like mist Aussies in LA, she gas the depth of a yoga class sweat puddle.

by Anonymousreply 70November 16, 2022 4:19 PM

She is gorgeous but like most Aussies in LA, she has the depth of a yoga class sweat puddle

by Anonymousreply 71November 16, 2022 4:20 PM

She's pretty and not an annoying cunt like Jlaw but a dime a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 72November 16, 2022 4:23 PM

She, Emma Stone and Amber Heard all have the same face.

by Anonymousreply 73November 16, 2022 4:53 PM

She just doesn't have IT.

by Anonymousreply 74November 16, 2022 4:55 PM

Herpes? No. But OP does.

by Anonymousreply 75November 16, 2022 4:59 PM

Emma Stone's hatchet face doesn't look anything like Margot or Amber, R73.

by Anonymousreply 76November 16, 2022 5:03 PM

Does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 77November 16, 2022 5:05 PM

Yours does.

by Anonymousreply 78November 16, 2022 5:05 PM

Emma Stone is not a beauty at all.

by Anonymousreply 79November 16, 2022 5:25 PM

I tend to mix her up with British actress Emma Mackey.

Robie certainly has talent but like many younger performers she is gravitating to "hot" filmmakers like Chazelle who are not as talented as their reputations suggest. He's clearly the real problem with BABYLON, not her. I saw the trailer recently and thought "there's no way I am bothering with this debacle."

Chazelle needs to be taken down at least a few pegs, and if this film flops maybe that will happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 16, 2022 6:43 PM

"Mess of a film." Critics said the same thing about Amsterdam and that was hailed as "star-studded." She in danger.

by Anonymousreply 81November 16, 2022 7:16 PM

She's fucked with all these flops adding up because even though she may have had nothing to do with the many factors involved in the flopping all films were with her as the female LEAD.

by Anonymousreply 82November 16, 2022 7:48 PM

La-La Land was a mess. It's a good thing that it didn't get the Best Picture Oscar because it would have gone to the Worst Winners Pantheon a week later. First Man was the most boring movie ever made about the most important step humanity ever took. Whiplash had nothing going for it save for the exceptional performances. Chazelle is the emperor with no clothes.

by Anonymousreply 83November 16, 2022 8:07 PM

Whiplash was good, if ridiculous. It captures the claustrophobic world of a young obsessive very well. Agreed that JK Simmons’ intensity which never devolved into caricature and Miles Teller’s mixture of chutzpah and vulnerability made it what it was.

by Anonymousreply 84November 16, 2022 8:36 PM

Whiplash was fine. Small movie with some terrific performances and it gets at that weird, destructive perfectionism that happens in music.

LaLa Land has some good acting in it, but it's mostly a rip-off of Jacques Demy films that didn't have much in the way of value-added.

I like looking at Margot Robbie--she's truly gorgeous in The Wolves of Wall Street, sympathetic in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and funny and believable in I, Tonya. That said, I don't think she has the kind of charm, charisma or acting talent that can overcome a mediocre script. I think it was William Goldman who wrote about *Cocktail* being the film that really put Tom Cruise over as a major star--because it was a mediocre movie with a mediocre script that *still* opened big thanks to Cruise.

Very few actors fall into that category--Cruise, Julia Roberts both had that ability at their peak. Then you get the actors who break through, get access to the good scripts and then are smart enough to pick them--Leonardo di Caprio, Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks fall into that category, though Hanks probably falls into the first category as well. Leo's particularly script savvy--or his team is.

Good, commercial leads for women remain harder to come by, so it continues to be harder for women stars to break through and stay on top. Their time at the top is shorter and they're judged more harshly on a variety of factors. The ones who have longevity, need to be flexible--and, these days, try to get good parts on premium cable.

by Anonymousreply 85November 16, 2022 8:59 PM

[quote]R82 Even though she may have had nothing to do with the many factors involved in the flopping, all films were with her as the female LEAD.

This is true. But when you’re an actor who wants to work, it’s usually about accepting the least awful project rather than getting the very best project. Because there’s few high quality projects and roles out there, especially for women. So you’d rarely work if you held out for the gold.

When there IS suddenly a really good female role out there, every actress comes out of the woodwork and there’s a FEEDING FRENZY. And producers can only choose one. So how do you stay a working actress against those odds without doing sub par or half baked films?

by Anonymousreply 86November 16, 2022 9:01 PM

R80 chazelle already was taken down a peg at the Oscars. It was hugely embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 87November 16, 2022 9:05 PM

Yeah I liked Whiplash but La La Land and First Man were bores.

by Anonymousreply 88November 16, 2022 9:18 PM

R83 you are a fucking idiot. That movie has incredible visible and invisible are to it. You must be a miserable sociopath. Or some person of color who hates white people.

by Anonymousreply 89November 16, 2022 9:28 PM

[R83] you are a fucking idiot. That movie has incredible visible and invisible art to it. You must be a miserable sociopath. Or some person of color who hates white people.

by Anonymousreply 90November 16, 2022 9:29 PM

Thank you all so much for your concern. I'm fine, really. I mean, if Michelle Pfieffer could do it, so can I, Tonya. Hugs & kisses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 16, 2022 10:03 PM

Just out of the first NYC screening. There was a Q&A afterwards with Damien Chazelle, Diego Calvo, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Jean Smart, Jovan Adepo and Li Jun Li.

And the film? I enjoyed it a lot although some of it is excessive and over indulgent. There are two fantastic set pieces to do with film making in the 1920s-one is for a silent film and the other is for a talkie. The party scenes bored me, though. The camera doesn’t linger long enough on the sex stuff or the various bodies. And I could have done without the bit of the young woman pissing on an extremely fat naked man (who is based, of course, on Fattie Arbuckle). In the Q&A Robbie was right about the party sequences being “a combination of The Wolf of Wall Street and La Dolce Vita.”

Robbie absolutely gives it her all but her performance is often exhausting to watch. I did enjoy her character binging and puking in a high society party sequence. Pitt is really good-he has one particularly good monologue where his character defends the art of acting in films vs. acting in “legitimate theatre.” I adore Jean Smart and her scene with Brad Pitt is quite excellent but I think it was a mistake for her to do a full-on British accent. She claimed at the Q&A she based her character on British writer Elinor Glynn. I think should have just done an “affected” accent, instead. The newcomer Diego Calva is very good. I was struck by how tall he is in person compared to how he appears on screen. He’s a not unappealing combination of young Antonio Banderas and Gael Garcia Bernal. Li Jun Li plays a lesbian version of Anna May Wong (she sings a little ditty called “Stroking My Girl’s Pussy”) and she’s terrific. The cinematography is fabulous, of course, as is the production design.

One thing Chazelle shouldn’t have done was to bring Justin Hurwitz back to compose the original score-too much of it sounds way too much like the music in La La Land, particularly the main theme. And towards the end there’s an unnecessary montage of movie clips over the decades which is something we see almost every year at the Oscars. I was pleasantly surprised there weren’t anachronisms like there threatened to be going by the underwhelming trailer, though.

I think this will actually do very well. As for Oscar nominations I think Chazelle, cinematography and production design are pretty likely. I’d like Adepo to get one for his wonderful performance as a talented trumpet player but won’t be surprised if Pitt slips in there. As for Robbie I guess it’s possible she’ll take one of the slots but I wouldn’t bank on it.

by Anonymousreply 92November 16, 2022 11:24 PM

She's beautifully styled at r25.

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2022 1:27 AM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 94November 17, 2022 1:54 AM

She's no DUMB blond! She created a production company and is producing films ( I, Tonya ) in addition to acting. Smart move. She's doing things, behind the scenes, that most Actors are too stoopid to do on their own (and I've known alot of actors, and they are surprisingly lazy and dumb as fuck!)

by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2022 1:59 AM

My prediction:

-Mixed reviews

-Box office flop

-A few tech nominations

About Margot: It's been a long, long time since I've seen such a supposedly sweet and progressive actress have no qualms working with so many talented, but terrible people. I respect actresses like Natalie Portman and Jessica Chastain because they stick to their guns and don't try to have their cake and eat it too. Although, Chastain and Portman did have a couple of big fuck-ups involving Roman Polanski and Matthew Newton. But to be fair, I can't swear that Chastain knew about MN (it is likely she didn't know the whole story) and the Polanski commercial and petition was years ago.

by Anonymousreply 96November 17, 2022 2:20 AM

r96 Portman and Chastain don't have any buzz around them. Robbie is the "It-girl" and she's taking advantage of that by creating a production company and producing. Those other two-- sorry to say it-- ..... "lazy and stoopid".

Robbie is killing it.

'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2022 2:29 AM

Box office posion

by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2022 2:30 AM

R87, yes nothing says taken down like Best Director and a film that made $450 million.

Looking forward to the new one, thanks R92 for the thoughtful post.

by Anonymousreply 99November 17, 2022 2:43 AM

[quote]R95 She created a production company and is producing films ( I, Tonya ) in addition to acting.

She produced the brilliant PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (2020)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 17, 2022 2:45 AM

We still have Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 101November 17, 2022 2:49 AM

R100, and she had the right instincts as a producer not to star in it. I loved Promising Young Woman and tend to like Robbie as an actress, but she would have brought a femme fatale energy to the character, and that seems totally wrong compared to what Carey Mulligan did with the role.

by Anonymousreply 102November 17, 2022 3:08 AM

Amy Adams should have played Tonya Harding.

by Anonymousreply 103November 17, 2022 6:31 AM

To the poster upthread who asked about the blackface-yes, it’s in one scene but it’s actually the Black trumpet player Sidney who’s forced to apply it. Thalberg (Max Minghella) tells him that because of the lighting he looks like he’s white alongside the other musicians and that wouldn’t be acceptable in the South. But Adepo is actually very dark skinned so it didn’t make much sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 104November 17, 2022 12:28 PM

R103, I always thought that. Robbie was too stunningly pretty and also too tall for Tonya. Amy Adams would have been perfect with proper make-up and hair.

At times I didn’t think she was right to play Nellie LeRoy in this film because she’s so gorgeous it’s not really plausible that she doesn’t become a bigger star. Renee Zellweger would have made much more sense if this was done ten years ago although I can’t quite see her going all in on the sex stuff which Robbie does.

by Anonymousreply 105November 17, 2022 12:34 PM

R105 I like Amy Adams, but she could pull off meth-chic without any hair and makeup assistance. She could’ve just rolled out of bed and showed up on set

by Anonymousreply 106November 17, 2022 4:46 PM

Margot is progressive, but a little too star-struck and caught up in the Boy's Club of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 107November 17, 2022 8:10 PM

I, Tonya is mocumentary and a black comedy that is told from her perspective. Whitewashing her criminal activity and ignoring Nancy Kerrigan almost entirely. It's not supposed to be completely realistic. Part of the in joke is that a stunning beauty plays Tonya. If you were telling your life story, wouldn't you have someone gorgeous play you? The real Tonya was, of course, THRILLED with the casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 17, 2022 8:12 PM

Oh, please, R108-it was NOT an “in joke.” Robbie wanted to play Tonya Harding even though she wasn’t physically appropriate to play her. Period. One of the main reason Harding struggled was that she was physically unattractive, not even “cute.” She didn’t have a pretty or elegant image to present on the ice. Robbie is a stunning beauty and was seriously miscast as a scrappy little pug dog piece of white trash that Harding was.

by Anonymousreply 109November 17, 2022 10:33 PM

[quote] It denies the strength of resilience—that quality that helped Harding to glide across the ice and perform her justly acclaimed triple axel, the athletic, balletic feat of lifting oneself up, rotating, shifting weight and then landing gracefully and firmly. That rarely achieved maneuver (named for Norwegian skater Axel Paulsen who originated it and mastered by few skaters of any sex) is a metaphor for strength, talent and ingenuity. The movie I, Tonya de-emphasizes these qualities through the way director Craig Gillespie and writer Steven Rogers choose to ridicule Harding and the people around her as white trash. The film’s sarcasm insists on Harding’s tragedy, encouraging viewers to laugh at her rather than feel for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 17, 2022 10:36 PM

"I, Tonya is a 2017 American biographical sports mockumentary black comedy film." Wikipedia

It's a little more realistic than "To Die For", but not by much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 17, 2022 10:42 PM

R109 Tonya might well be what people term white trash but I always thought that the media portrayal of Trashy Redneck Tonya vs Pristine Classy Nancy was a bit overblown. Kerrigans brother killed her father. They weren't exactly the classiest bunch either.

by Anonymousreply 112November 17, 2022 10:45 PM

Margot needs to do another 60s/70s era film. Her looks are absolutely perfect for that type of role. A film noir set in 70s southern California would really work. I know she already did something like that in OATIH but still.

by Anonymousreply 113November 17, 2022 10:48 PM

R109 I see what you mean and it would have been interesting to see what a plainer actress might have done but I still think Robbie pulled it off. It wasn't like Frankie and Johnny where the miscasting was so bad that it ruined the point of the film.

by Anonymousreply 114November 17, 2022 10:51 PM

I might still watch this because I like old hollywood themed films but I wasn't as in love with lala land as so many others were. It just didn't capture the vibe of L.A.. It almost seemed Parisian.

by Anonymousreply 115November 17, 2022 10:55 PM

Gretchen Mol 2.0

by Anonymousreply 116November 17, 2022 10:57 PM

Saw the trailer before watching The Banshees of Inisherin (so great!) last week and it looked ... amazingly bad. So I'm not surprised by the reviews

by Anonymousreply 117November 17, 2022 10:59 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 118November 17, 2022 10:59 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street was a star making performance for Margot. She hasn’t really lived up to the promise of that performance aside from I, Tonya.

by Anonymousreply 119November 18, 2022 7:47 AM

R114, true about Robbie as Tonya not being as bad as Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino starring in Frankie and Johnny. That was the worst casting of all time. Garry Marshall was an idiot with very poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 120November 18, 2022 12:31 PM

Is it going to win all the Oscars like Les Mis did R92 LYNNE STAIRMASTER?

Oh, wait. Your predictions are always wrong.

by Anonymousreply 121November 18, 2022 12:49 PM

I thought this was supposed to be set in the 1920s. I’m not understanding Robbie’s look…

by Anonymousreply 122November 18, 2022 12:54 PM

R120 Garry Marshall was responsible for casting the last great female movie star wasn't he? His taste couldn't be too bad. Now if you mean scripts you may have a case.

by Anonymousreply 123November 18, 2022 2:41 PM

R121, you could at least have spelled my name correctly.

And to answer your snottily posed question-if you read my post correctly I made it clear that no, Babylon will not receive eight nominations like Les Miserables did. If might receive four but that’s it

by Anonymousreply 124November 18, 2022 3:48 PM

P.S. to R121-your envy over my having seen Babylon over a month before you can is palpable. Do better at hiding that.

by Anonymousreply 125November 18, 2022 3:50 PM

You’re the idiot, R89/R90

Not drinking your Chazelle Kool-Aid, the guy’s a hack— inexplicably given too many chances and accolades.

Nothing more than a not-particularly bright movie fan given resources he doesn’t deserve to be in charge of.

by Anonymousreply 126November 18, 2022 4:16 PM

[quote]R113 A film noir set in 70s southern California would really work. I know she already did something like that in OATIH but still.

Maybe she could even have some lines this time!

by Anonymousreply 127November 18, 2022 4:57 PM

The problems that critics and audience members are citing with Babylon have always been present in Chazelle's screenplays - I'm glad they finally noticed. He's a great director - see First Man - but a terrible screenwriter. Can't locate the story, reverse-engineers the endings, etc. that's his films all over.

by Anonymousreply 128November 18, 2022 6:08 PM

All questions about Chazelle aside, is she really supposed to look like a 1920's actress in that Studio 54 dress with that frizzy 1980's hairdo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 18, 2022 6:35 PM

Agreed, R129. She’s not styled in a period-appropriate way at all.

by Anonymousreply 130November 18, 2022 6:44 PM

R126, sorry your career didn't work out the way you hoped. At least you are teaching Introduction To Film at that lovely community college.

by Anonymousreply 131November 18, 2022 7:38 PM

[quote]Robbie throws herself into the role of a silent-screen starlet, giving a whirling dervish of a performance. It’s a fully committed feat of physicality, though I wonder if she’ll be dinged for the part’s lack of dynamic shifts: Her character’s going 100 miles per hour in every scene. Still, Robbie delivers enough movie-star charisma that I think she’ll be in the mix, though it looks like the two-time nominee will have to elbow aside two other Academy faves, Olivia Colman and Viola Davis, for the final spot in this murderer’s row of a race.

[quote]I suspect that Pitt’s fading idol has the likeliest path to a nomination of anyone in Babylon’s sprawling cast. Not only is he a co-lead being campaigned in supporting, he also has the clearest arc of the three main players, and is often called upon to rhapsodize about the power of The Movies in a way that rivals his Happy Feet franchise-mate Nicole Kidman. Considering the abuse allegations that have popped up since his last Oscar go-round, I wondered if Paramount might try to hide him, but Pitt has been a presence at post-screening Q&As on both coasts. Don’t count out another charm offensive.

[quote]Playing an amalgam of Louella Parsons and Elinor Glyn, Smart hangs around the edges of Babylon for a while before getting a crackerjack scene where she lets Pitt’s character know what’s what. (The Little Gold Men podcast speculated that a big chunk of her part was left on the cutting-room floor.) It would make a fantastic Oscar clip, but unless voters really go Babylon-mad, there’s probably not enough here to make a serious bid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 18, 2022 9:49 PM

Idc how your name is spelled LYNNE. You’re retarded and not worth reading. Go touch grass. You think I give a shit about going to see a Chazelle movie. Lol. Gurl, bye.

by Anonymousreply 133November 18, 2022 10:50 PM

So many Damien haters here, when his films have been enjoyed by millions? I smell a bunch of losers. He put in the time without any nepotism that I can see. Sorry for the wannabes that are jelly.

by Anonymousreply 134November 18, 2022 11:16 PM

Many straight men love Margot Robbie's look. She is a hot chick and seems to be a good sport on the red carpet and in interviews. She can always continue to produce if her acting career lags. Or she can marry a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 135November 18, 2022 11:23 PM

Thats really the issue— Margot Robbie is not relatable to women and a sex object to men. She is a decent actress though. But Jennifer Lawrence for example has a fanbase composed of men and women. Besides, while she is gorgeous, theres Emma Mackey and Samara Weaving who both look similar enough to take on the roles that she doesnt take, further confusing people.

by Anonymousreply 136November 18, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote]r136 theres Emma Mackey and Samara Weaving, who both look similar enough to take on the roles that she doesnt take

WHO?

Those are not American stars. And they never will be.

by Anonymousreply 137November 19, 2022 2:17 AM

One possible sign that Margot is very aware of her hypocrisy (and wants to take the spotlight off of it as much as possible) is the fact that she distanced herself from Promising Young Woman (2020) and even refused to be one of the credited producers nominated for it.

by Anonymousreply 138November 23, 2022 6:40 PM

Box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 139November 23, 2022 6:43 PM

And she wasn't an executive producer, it was her production company and she was one of the main credited producers. It's very strange that she didn't do shit to promote it and even refused an Oscar nomination. The theory that she wanted to take the spotlight off of her own hypocrisy is the only thing that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 140November 23, 2022 6:53 PM

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood set up directions it never took. It was a very first draft-y script... or just very facile. As was Robie's extremely superficial performance.

by Anonymousreply 141November 23, 2022 6:56 PM

Isn't there a limit on the number of producers who can be nominated for Best Picture? Promising Young Woman had six, and I don't see more than five listed for any nominee for the past decade. (BlacKkKlansman also had six credited producers, but only five nominated.) Maybe she didn't do enough to qualify so she was the one who was dropped?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 23, 2022 7:01 PM

Couldn't stand the hardcore LLL fans back when that movie came out and I still can't stand them, so I'm not not enjoying seeing him fail. He's not a filmmaking genius at all.

by Anonymousreply 143November 23, 2022 7:06 PM

Thank goodness you're ok now. It must have been so hard for you to suffer through reading the end credits. What hell you've been through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 23, 2022 7:47 PM

It's also ironic that Margot stars in movies like Wolf of Wall Street and cameos taking a bath while bashing capitalism in The Big Short - then turns around and attends promotional events for the Wall Street Journal.

BTW, Scorsese, DiCaprio and Adam McKay had more on their mind than just shitting on capitalism - they were also getting their jollies off.

by Anonymousreply 145November 28, 2022 9:31 PM

she looks out of place in a lot of roles. if she isn't playing a bimbo it just seems silly

by Anonymousreply 146November 28, 2022 9:36 PM

I remember a John Carpenter quote from 1988 during the promotial tour for 'They Live (1988) where he admitted to being a total capitalist, but also wants to bring a little humanity to it and have fun trolling the status que. I think that holds true for a lotof people in the entertainment industry. Most want to have their cake and eat it too.

by Anonymousreply 147November 28, 2022 10:01 PM

Status que?

by Anonymousreply 148November 30, 2022 1:41 AM

Women do like Margot Robbie, it’s why she keeps getting cast. She comes off as sunny and aware and hard working with what she has. Isn’t sour, doesn’t complain, doesn’t talk about how hard it is to be beautiful. Isn’t a mean girl like JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 149November 30, 2022 2:00 AM

Straight men like her too.

by Anonymousreply 150November 30, 2022 6:33 AM

No one cares about Margot Robbie, she has yet to open a single movie.

by Anonymousreply 151November 30, 2022 11:38 AM

I would actually pay money to hear Margot try to explain away her hypocrisy for working with Quentin Tarantino, David O. Russell and James Gunn. it would be an epic mess - especially if she were asked about it on the spot. I guess the media leaves her alone because she's not constantly on a soapbox and making herself an easy target.

by Anonymousreply 152December 1, 2022 4:51 PM

This aussie criminal bitch stole jamie pressly’s look and career.

by Anonymousreply 153December 2, 2022 1:19 PM

This movie is the most disgusting thing Margot has done since intentionally indulging creepy Tarantino's foot fetish behind-the-scenes (which he used as the cover for his making of OUATIH book).

by Anonymousreply 154December 6, 2022 11:16 PM

Cannot wait to see this train wreck. I heard it's a vomit of... well, everything really.

by Anonymousreply 155December 6, 2022 11:26 PM

Saw a screening tonight and this movie is beyond a hot mess. There's plenty to hate and Robbie certainly isn't the worst part of the movie but she definitely goes over the top at points. As much as I adore Jean Smart even she doesn't come off great here. Her scene with Brad Pitt is the highlight but her accent and makeup are distracting throughout (although her wardrobe/styling seems inspired by Angela Lansbury's from Death on the Nile so that's kind of fun.) I can't imagine this even coming close to making its money back. I saw it with two cinephiles who both hated it; there's no way anyone in middle America will bother with it. It's a shame it's so terrible because a movie about pre-Hays era Hollywood would be really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 156December 8, 2022 7:37 AM

R156, what—for you—made the movie so terrible?

I am genuinely curious because I love Old Hollywood and was planning on seeing this movie in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 157December 8, 2022 8:56 AM

Let me count the ways, r157:

- 3+ hour runtime

- Loud, frenetic, repetitive set pieces

- Lack of character development. We never get to know anything about the trumpet player despite him being a "main" character. It also felt like the Anna May Wong-like character had a lot of her story cut. It's too bad because they're the two characters I would like to have followed more and learned more about. Brad Pitt's character is the only one with much of an arc but you know who his character is from the start.

- Gross out and scatological humor (I'm not a prude but it just felt very out of place here. Shitting, pissing, farting, vomiting are all graphically depicted)

- Margot Robbie was costumed and styled completely wrong for the time period

- Characters never age despite significant time passing

Overall it was just very over the top and obnoxious. By the end I didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them and just wished I was watching a documentary about the era instead. It's clear the director was very pleased with himself and thought the whole thing was oh-so-clever but it's a bloated mess.

On the plus side I will say the music and cinematography were both excellent and the supporting cast is quite good. And Diego Calva is very easy on the eyes

by Anonymousreply 158December 8, 2022 9:56 AM

I think for those of us wanting pre-Code Hollywood it may be best just to watch all those old gems again than sit through what sounds like an obnoxious mess.

by Anonymousreply 159December 8, 2022 11:12 AM

R64, I was about to post something similar. It would have been better had they simply redone Day of the Locust and stuck closer to the book - Margot would make an appealing Faye Greener, better than Karen Black could ever manage (talk about miscasting!).

by Anonymousreply 160December 8, 2022 1:09 PM

Jean, in her patchy Brit accent, pronounces “command” as “cumAHND.” Which is, uhhh, incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 161December 10, 2022 10:00 PM

R156, what did you think of the montage taking us through years of movie magic? I hated that. So pretentious and absolutely blunted the emotional impact of the final five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 162December 10, 2022 10:03 PM

I'm looking forward to it, bad reviews or not.

by Anonymousreply 163December 10, 2022 11:26 PM

I was surprised to learn that up until a fluffy interview during the Birds of Prey press tour, Margot had no idea that Harley Quinn was based on a scene with Calliope' dressed up as clown from an episode of Days of Our Lives in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 164December 12, 2022 4:59 AM

She doesn't have "it".

by Anonymousreply 165December 12, 2022 5:03 AM

The "I hate Margo Robbie" Troll is alive and well.

Give it a rest, you insufferable queen.

by Anonymousreply 166December 12, 2022 5:05 AM

If you cannot get the clothes, makeup and hair right, do NOT make a period film!

Jesus Christ, there are three thousand films extant from that era, would it be so hard to have those departments watch TWO of them to get those details right? There's no excuse! All the actors look completely modern.

by Anonymousreply 167December 12, 2022 5:38 AM

You've posted the same thing at least three times before. Obsess much?

by Anonymousreply 168December 12, 2022 5:41 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 169December 12, 2022 1:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!