Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Wakanda Forever’ Dominates Box Office With $180 Million Debut

[QUOTE]The Black Panther sequel demolished the domestic November opening record, soaring past $158 million set by 2013’s “Hunger Games: Catching Fire.” Globally, the superhero adventure netted a spectacular $330 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 2, 2023 2:12 PM

So much for Marvel releasing its grip on the multiplexes.

by Anonymousreply 1November 13, 2022 4:14 PM

At the high end of the range for domestic box office.

Interesting. Many people were expressing doubts because ticket re-sales were running significantly behind expectations.

by Anonymousreply 2November 13, 2022 4:14 PM

Watta bunch of schlock.

by Anonymousreply 3November 13, 2022 4:17 PM

Good for them though I think this will be frontloaded and fall short of the first one’s total gross.

by Anonymousreply 4November 13, 2022 4:21 PM

Nothing sells like African Americans behaving like Empresses and Proud Geniuses on screen, right?

How ennobling. Like all that magpie bling of show.

by Anonymousreply 5November 13, 2022 4:26 PM

What did you feel was so gross about the first one, r4?

by Anonymousreply 6November 13, 2022 4:28 PM

[quote]Good for them though I think this will be frontloaded and fall short of the first one’s total gross.

First movie domestic gross was $700mm. International gross was $681mm. This inverts the more common 1/3 to 2/3 performance of huge blockbusters - Avengers Endgame did $858mm domestic and $1.94b international.

The first Black Panther did $105mm in China. The second movie has been banned in China which is the second largest movie market now.

Matching the first movie will be very difficult.

by Anonymousreply 7November 13, 2022 6:15 PM

Why was it banned in China, R7?

by Anonymousreply 8November 13, 2022 8:11 PM

This is unfair. Bros made less than $4 million it’s opening weekend and this piece of shot gets to make $180 million?!? Why are people so homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 9November 13, 2022 9:12 PM

“ It is also the 12th highest MCU opening weekend of all time.”

They’re really bending over backwards to make this seem like a hit. I predict an embarrassing drop next week when everyone who wanted to have seen this movie already will have.

by Anonymousreply 10November 13, 2022 9:15 PM

It’s the second biggest opening of the year, R10. In friggin November. How is it not a hit?

by Anonymousreply 11November 13, 2022 9:18 PM

R10

Seriously? Highest selling film in November ever isn’t a hit?

You’re bending over backwards to downplay the success of a black-led movie. Gee, I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 12November 13, 2022 9:19 PM

[quote]At the high end of the range for domestic box office.

Low end. People were predicting $185-200m opening.

by Anonymousreply 13November 13, 2022 9:19 PM

[quote]I predict an embarrassing drop next week when everyone who wanted to have seen this movie already will have.

I'll take that bet.

by Anonymousreply 14November 13, 2022 9:19 PM

R8

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2022 9:23 PM

That’s the excuse Disney is using. The truth is they never had any intentions of sending BP:WF to China. China hasn’t allowed for a Marvel movie since Spider-Man: Far From Home in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2022 9:27 PM

I'm glad for Angela Bassett. She deserves it, and she was at the forefront of promoting this movie and doing a great job of talking about Chadwick Boseman. Hopefully, this puts her back on the forefront where she belongs.

I also thought it was incredibly shitty of Viola Davis to act like Black Panther didn't have four Black women in key roles when she was promoting her own movie two months back.

by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2022 9:28 PM

King 🤴🏾

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote]That’s the excuse Disney is using.

Yeah, they just cut one minute of the movie for Kuwait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2022 9:38 PM

I saw it. Better than expected. The death of Chadwick Boseman forced the writers were to come up with material with real impact, tastefully handing the subject of death. That really elevates the film plus it gives all the other characters so much more to do. Fans should be pleased and those who don't care for Marvel might even find some value. As for the gay angle, it's so subtle (two grieving female characters briefly embrace) you almost have to read into it to see anything even remotely gay. Well done overall. I'm sick of Marvel but this one gets a strong pass.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2022 10:04 PM

It’s garbage. Maybe I was expecting a lot. 🫤

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2022 10:15 PM

R21 why were you expecting a lot?

by Anonymousreply 22November 13, 2022 10:29 PM

Every black led film is a flop according to DL, contrary to the big opening at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 23November 13, 2022 10:35 PM

It’s a great movie. And finally some meaningful Latino representation in one of these Marvel spectacles.

A hot Mexican God flying around in green underwear? —Yes and thanks.

by Anonymousreply 24November 13, 2022 10:35 PM

I'm saving it to see at Thanksgiving with some relatives. I'm looking at a few other films too. I saw one here yesterday - "Mrs Harris Goes to Paris" looks like "family time" to me. This is what we do at the holidays, we eat and we go to the movies. Sometimes we BBQ but that's just eating too so never mind.

We'll probably take some leisurely walks on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2022 10:51 PM

That explosion you heard was the sound of DL's numerous klan grannies heads exploding simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2022 10:57 PM

R10 They said that with the last one lmao.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2022 11:03 PM

We lived like KINGS and QUEENS before the white man showed his ugly head! Oh, I want to go back to Wakanda! Calgon take me back!

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2022 11:06 PM

R28 is quite a little cunt, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2022 11:08 PM

R7 who the fuck compares any of the solo Marvel movies to any of the Avengers movies? Endgame was an event film that Marvel spent many years building up to. Of course it was huge. None of their other movies lived up to that or ever will again.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2022 11:10 PM

Thor Ragnorok was the biggest Thor movie and made $538.9 million internationally. Less than Black Panther. And with a white man as lead.

What is your point?

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2022 11:12 PM

R17 she should be thanking Lupita for not taking the part.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2022 11:16 PM

I didn't care for it. The first half was plodding and messy. A lot of the action scenes were poorly shot; other scenes, like Namor's kingdom, were way too dark. The second half is better, but the finale is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2022 12:17 AM

To put in perspective, this already eclipsed the total earnings of DC's Black Adam in just one weekend. Why is Marvel so much popular than DC? I'm not really a fan of either.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2022 2:04 AM

I liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2022 2:18 AM

[quote]To put in perspective, this already eclipsed the total earnings of DC's Black Adam in just one weekend. Why is Marvel so much popular than DC? I'm not really a fan of either.

Not a fair comparison. Black Adam is a comic book character no one outside of comic geeks would know, Black Panther Wakanda Forever is the sequel to one of the high grossing and most popular movies of the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 36November 14, 2022 2:45 AM

The numbers are great, especially for 2022. The movie theaters are not the same as when the first film came out. Less people are going and many have closed down. The box office/theaters are thrilled with these numbers because they needed another blockbluster hit.

by Anonymousreply 37November 14, 2022 3:01 AM

Why was Black Adam banned?

by Anonymousreply 38November 14, 2022 6:44 AM

R5, you are so pathetic. I don't even like Marvel movies, but what's your gripe about a take featuring black characters. I know what it is. You are a fucking hater.

Black Excellence stand up.

by Anonymousreply 39November 14, 2022 6:48 AM

R8, Because their a fkin oppressive, culturally regressive regime. China lately has been banning films featuring LGBT characters. They do produce some brilliant students however. China is trash though.

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2022 6:50 AM

R5 Can't spell or use the correct punctuation for shit but want to talk down about a whole race of people. That's right up there with some hillbilly bunk-ass education.

by Anonymousreply 41November 14, 2022 7:22 AM

Angela is commanding and impressive in the film!

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2022 8:36 AM

R34 because WB can't get it's shit together.

by Anonymousreply 43November 14, 2022 11:44 AM

R28 A white man wrote the comic book. It’s his story. You’re just a racist POS.

by Anonymousreply 44November 14, 2022 11:59 AM

I thought this was V’s movie?

by Anonymousreply 45November 14, 2022 12:05 PM

Julia Louis Dreyfus has taken over the role

by Anonymousreply 46November 14, 2022 12:11 PM

[quote]Not a fair comparison. Black Adam is a comic book character no one outside of comic geeks would know, Black Panther Wakanda Forever is the sequel to one of the high grossing and most popular movies of the last 20 years.

Yes, but practically nobody knew the Black Panther character before the first film became such a massive success. And The Rock is a much bigger box office draw than Chadwick Boseman was when his film debuted.

by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2022 12:20 PM

F&F R28!

by Anonymousreply 48November 14, 2022 12:26 PM

Sad Chadwick Boseman and Stan Lee couldn’t be alive for this.

by Anonymousreply 49November 14, 2022 12:39 PM

Saw it yesterday. 3:00 Sunday on opening weekend and the theater was 20% full. The movie was more focused on character development than the average Marvel movie, but the action scenes carried no emotional weight and the battles were meaningless. The tributes to Chadwick Boseman were the best parts, that bookended extremely murky CGI and the usual predictable Marvel dreck / filler. Angela Basset was tremendous. Everyone was impossibly beautiful. I can see the box office dropping off drastically in the second week, because it was not an exciting movie experience. Not recommended .

by Anonymousreply 50November 14, 2022 12:45 PM

It’s terrible to see alleged comic book & superhero fans being so racist against Black Panther. An original character with an original world and supporting characters. I bet they’re the type who only want black characters to be sidekicks like Falcon and War Machine.

by Anonymousreply 51November 14, 2022 12:47 PM

Wasn't the high end projection for this weekend $220 million?

by Anonymousreply 52November 14, 2022 1:26 PM

[quote]Don’t get obsessed about the percent behind or ahead of advance ticket sales. Look at the leg out opening factor there on the first Black Panther. Plus, the sequel has so much heat, expect walk-up business. Wakanda Forever is expected to open to $175M-$185M, for a projected global debut of $355M-$365M

It may have been revised during the weekend, but leading up to the opening it was lower. At one point, the estimates were saying $150-180mm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 14, 2022 2:21 PM

Yall realize r28 is sarcasm. It's some old white queen at best-- bitchy humor at worst trying to rile things up.

Whatever you point of view if you are racist elder gay you are a walking paradox. You will never ever be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 54November 14, 2022 2:46 PM

R51 In all fairness Black Panther is hugely popular even among the bro nerds who normally rail against the browning or changing of white characters. What's on display here is just the usual DL trolls.

by Anonymousreply 55November 14, 2022 2:48 PM

R45, No G. You thought wrong. And I am the black version of you. Way underpraised and better at our craft than our more familiar counterparts- M. And V.

by Anonymousreply 56November 14, 2022 2:50 PM

I probably won't see the movie, but my new drag name is Wakanda 4ever.

by Anonymousreply 57November 14, 2022 2:52 PM

I'm waiting for it to hit Disneyplus in a few weeks.

The only movie I'm tempted to see in a theater would be the next Avatar movie, not because I'm particularly interested in the sequel, but I want to see whether this movie is as ahead of the current standards for CGI and effects as the original was for its time. This can only really be tested if you see it on IMAX.

by Anonymousreply 58November 14, 2022 2:59 PM

“Despite the cuts, Chinese moviegoers still recognized the intimate bond between the two characters as a significant theme of the story. While the movie has an abysmal score of 5.9 out of 10 on China’s popular movie review site Douban, most of the critiques are about the incoherence of the storyline; many reviewers said the depiction of the gay romance is the only memorable plot in the entire movie.“

Apparently the censorship only goes so far…a lot of these movies make it into China with scenes cut out. But they must have a grudge against Marvel in particular I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 14, 2022 4:52 PM

[Quote] It’s terrible to see alleged comic book & superhero fans being so racist against Black Panther. An original character with an original world and supporting characters. I bet they’re the type who only want black characters to be sidekicks like Falcon and War Machine.

You also had Spawn and Blade. Isn't that enough?

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2022 1:12 AM

But Asia will never watch it!

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2022 1:16 AM

[QUOTE] Wasn't the high end projection for this weekend $220 million?

No.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2022 11:51 AM

It is massive on Tiktok

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2022 12:47 PM

Saw it last night. Not very good. Unfocused and messy, overly talky, poorly lit action scenes. The underwater city looked like a dingy swimming pool. Shuri becomes the main focus and I don’t think that actress was quite up to it. Namor’s decisions made him seem like an idiot rather than a strong leader. I’m a fan of the first and I was rooting for this to be good but it just wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 64November 16, 2022 12:34 PM

I heard there were cheers when the credits rolled.

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2022 6:00 AM

It has a beautiful, simple ending that has class.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2022 6:02 AM

Helps that tickets are four time as expensive as in 2013. Isn't Gone with the Wind still the winner when you adjust for ticket price differences?

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2022 6:18 AM

The University of Southern California's Black Student Union invited students to a free, private screening of the recently released Wakanda Forever, but asked white students not to attend.

A post to the BSU's Instagram page featured two graphics for Wednesday's event, which was described as a 'Black-centered' activity that would ideally not be inclusive of other races - meaning it was potentially illegal.

'We are lovingly curating this space to support and affirm Black people and Black joy. We ask that our non-Black allies support our intention of creating a Black affinity and celebration space,' reads the event description on the post.

In temporary stories posted the BSU's Instagram page on Wednesday evening, it appeared as though the club had chartered a party bus to transport the students from the school to the movie theater.

Those videos showed students exclusively of color dancing on the party bus on the way to the movie.

The incident in Santa Barbara this week is not the first instance of racially preferential behavior on a college campus revolving around Wakanda Forever to have occurred this month.

Last week, the Stanford University Graduate Student Council announced it has 450 tickets for a November 10 screening of Wakanda Forever, 100 of which it was reserving for black students.

Black students also received priority in signing up for the bus to the movie theater.

The Stanford Review initially reported on the issue, writing that the event hearkened back to the Jim Crow South.

'Does discrimination at movie theatres and on buses sound families? Yes, that’s correct... It was common in the Jim Crow South.

'The GSC is hell-bent on bringing prejudice in entertainment venues and transit back presumably under the guise of anti-racism, equity, and inclusion, the GSC is actively discriminating against non-black students,' reads the piece.

The Review also gestured toward the question of funding for race-specific or segregated activities.

'Where does the GSC get the funding for all of these activities? They oversee the distribution of the Graduate Student Activities Fee, which is $141 per year for every grad student.

'The GSC is literally using part of grad student tuition fees to discriminate against 96% of the grad student population,' wrote Review staffers.

Four percent of Stanford's graduate school population is black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2022 8:14 AM

I liked it, if only for Namor being hot and not a roided up monster like Hemsworth. Curious about the actor in general and what gossip can be dug about him.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2022 9:03 AM

R68. When I was in college we encouraged whites and even conservative types to attend our events sponsored by minority and poc groups. Students that wouldn't normally attend. Not only did we recognize is was good for discourse but also realized it was great for publicity and fundraising.

My how times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2022 5:00 PM

Still the king. Closing in on $550 million globally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2022 9:36 PM

Homophobes!

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2022 9:48 PM

I liked it. Love Angela Bassett and she was great in this.

She's looking good for her age as well. Not an easy task.

Namor was hot as well, though his character kind of annoyed the shit out of me for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2022 10:01 PM

R71, uh…I wouldn’t get too excited. That’s a much lower drop than they were expecting and it looks like it’s lost most of its momentum.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2022 4:15 AM

O Wakanda, we stand on guard for thee.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2022 5:14 AM

It'll be on Disney+ soon enough. Who'd want to bother going out to see this?

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2022 6:35 AM

Millions of people apparently, R76.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2022 8:10 AM

R76, not everyone is an antisocial hermit curmudgeon. Millions of us love the social thrill of going to the movies

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2022 11:14 AM

Words hurt, R78.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2022 4:14 PM

R74

Uh, it’s the best performing second week for a Marvel film during the pandemic era, beating out Black Widow, Thor, Spider-Man, and Doctor Strange. That is a huge success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2022 4:35 PM

My husband gets his haircut at a black-owned barber shop. The gentleman who cuts his hair said “if it wasnt for slavery, Africa would be like Wakanda right now”

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote]Millions of us love the social thrill of going to the movies

If you get a social thrill going to a movie you must have the saddest life on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2022 5:14 PM

I can understand the enjoyment of a night at the movies, but it's always these crappy comic book movies. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2022 5:41 PM

r80, to be completely accurate, that article weirdly forgets Shang-Chi, which only dropped 53% in its second weekend. That's the best for a Marvel film in the pandemic. Wakanda Forever is actually second best.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2022 5:47 PM

R81, well he's not wrong. White people have naturally devilish traits like inventing things like colonialism. Black people spring from all that is good, and african-americans and blacks of the Caribbean are the chosen people.

You can ask yourself this am I being ironic, twisted, humorous, or truthful?

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2022 5:50 PM

The late great Yaphet Kotto would’ve been awesome in these movies.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2022 10:31 PM

The movie is homophobic

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2022 10:37 PM

R87, I saw a YT review where the opposite was said. They didn't like it because it was too LGBTQ. Plus, too much focus on strong women. And making the Black Panther into a baby daddy stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2022 10:43 PM

R88. I did find it really bizarre that T'Challa was revealed to have had a secret child at the end.

Why? For what purpose? So stupid.

And why was he hidden and raised in Haiti? Why wasn't he raised in Wakanda if that's the kingdom he's the true heir? Why was this a secret only from Shuri?

What?

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2022 10:49 PM

Also, if Wakanda was protected by high-tech defense, how did Mexican Aquaman get past their defenses to gave Shuri and the Queen Mother an ultimatum?

by Anonymousreply 90November 22, 2022 12:57 AM

R90. That makes more sense to me. Wakanda has never encountered a civilization with vibranium technology, and they probably don't really expect intruders from the water. Nor do any civilizations actually know where Wakanda is, except Namor for some reason.

So it's not that surprising he was able to slip in with his troops. Maybe they have some kind of vibranium tech that makes them undetectable to most sensors.

Wakanda was just too confident in their technological superiority. The original BP did sort of imply that the vibranium tech they have makes them capable of taking on the rest of the world if it came to that.

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2022 2:28 AM

It's a Thanksgiving turkey.

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote]I did find it really bizarre that T'Challa was revealed to have had a secret child at the end.

You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 93November 22, 2022 6:51 AM

Has the Klan granny troll cursed you bitches out yet. He slays me.

by Anonymousreply 94November 22, 2022 9:10 PM

R93. Yeah, sorry, forgot about spoilers.

That info is up on Wikipedia to be fair. But sorry again.

by Anonymousreply 95November 23, 2022 11:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2022 5:42 PM

Still on top

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 25, 2022 3:27 PM

Why Namor won’t get his own Marvel movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 26, 2022 12:59 AM

TikTok is thirsting hard over Namor

by Anonymousreply 99November 26, 2022 1:00 AM

I'm HARD over Namor

by Anonymousreply 100November 26, 2022 3:22 AM

Me too bruh

by Anonymousreply 101November 26, 2022 3:31 AM

Wow, it made $18 million on Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 27, 2022 12:16 AM

Smash

by Anonymousreply 103November 27, 2022 1:46 AM

Saw it last night — loved it. Great film for a holiday vacation. Spectacular locations & scenery. Angela Bassett deserves an Oscar. I will be listening to the soundtrack — glad to have heard it in the theater with surround sound. I literally barely moved because I didn’t want to miss anything.

🙌

by Anonymousreply 104December 24, 2022 5:31 PM

Won't be watching that racist piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 105December 24, 2022 6:30 PM

r85, you're just being an idiot!

by Anonymousreply 106December 24, 2022 6:34 PM

R105, Klan granny, did you have some of my chicken pot pie. You know it makes you delusional when you don't eat.

by Anonymousreply 107December 26, 2022 3:28 PM

We’ve got Matt-fatso, one man posting machine, all over this thread running the movie down because it features black people in a positive light and it’s doing well.

What a repulsive creature he is.

by Anonymousreply 108December 26, 2022 3:33 PM

r, 107, woke dog shit eating asshole, did you have that super jumbo black dildo up your ass today, yet? you know it makes you delusional when you don't have that treatment daily...

by Anonymousreply 109December 26, 2022 4:15 PM

^^^^r107

by Anonymousreply 110December 26, 2022 4:16 PM

R109 it will be ok. I have it warming in the oven. Just come on through you old queen.

by Anonymousreply 111December 26, 2022 4:19 PM

Still holding strong at #3 this holiday weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 2, 2023 2:07 PM

Boola boola.

by Anonymousreply 113January 2, 2023 2:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!