Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

List celebrities who were attractive but their beauty was dated

Elizabeth Taylor

by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2022 10:30 AM

Doris Day

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2022 12:59 AM

Gene Tierney

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2022 1:00 AM

Their beauty had a use-by date or their type of beauty now looks dated?

Lauren Bacall's beauty had a short shelf life. Many beauties from the 20s like Barbara La Marr and Mae Murray are head scratchers by today's standards, but it's probably the makeup styles that are dated not their looks.

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2022 1:27 AM

R3 Their type of beauty now looks dated

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2022 2:06 AM

Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2022 2:19 AM

Veronica Lake

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2022 2:39 AM

Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2022 2:42 AM

R5, Joan Crawford from the 30s still looks amazing. Ditto Faye Dunaway from the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2022 2:43 AM

The All-American girl look hasn't worn well - Colleen Corby, Melissa Sue Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2022 2:49 AM

Bonnie Franklin. Just kidding.

Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2022 2:54 AM

Claudette Colbert, with her nuclear-proof curly meatball hairdo that nary displayed a change from one movie to the next throughout just about her entire filmography.

by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2022 3:04 AM

Jayne Mansfield

by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2022 3:10 AM

Yeah, sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2022 3:14 AM

r13 I know, right? Liz Taylor's beauty from the 50's and 60's is hardly "dated". Even her boozy middle-aged housewife in "Virginia Woolf" was a voluptuous sexpot.

by Anonymousreply 14November 9, 2022 3:26 AM

Tallulah Bankhead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 9, 2022 3:34 AM

I don't see how Elizabeth Taylor's looks are dated.

by Anonymousreply 16November 9, 2022 4:53 AM

Gary Cooper loses this thread, his look has aged incredibly well. Now Clark Gable. That one wouldn't really make sense to modern viewers.

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2022 5:51 AM

R16 She was gorgeous but her beauty doesn’t feel very modern.

by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2022 6:17 AM

Marjorie Taylor Greene — in the Neanderthal era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 9, 2022 6:22 AM

Farrah Fawcett. Girl wouldn’t be anything to write home about in 2022.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 9, 2022 6:41 AM

I don't think you can a woman's beauty is dated unless you see a picture of her in modern makeup and hair style. There are fashions in beauty, it's true, but classic bone structure and beautiful eyes never go out of fashion. Some of the women listed might not be considered great beauties today, but all of them would be far above average.

I'm curious who you think are current beauties and whether, with 1940s hair and makeup, you would still think them beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2022 8:06 AM

Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2022 8:15 AM

"but their beauty looks dated now"

For crissakes, is writing clearly that difficult?

by Anonymousreply 23November 9, 2022 8:18 AM

R23, she studied Empson's "Seven Types of Ambiguity" before crafting her thread opener.

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2022 1:07 PM

The Younger Lady from KV35, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2022 1:12 PM

Any blonde, thin-lipped, flat-chested, no ass model or actress from the 1980s. When you watch certain movies from the early to mid 80s, the woman playing the "hot babe" is often thin but has no shape. In 2022 that type of woman playing the babe makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2022 2:15 PM

Tammy Fay Baker

by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2022 2:16 PM

Thread closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 9, 2022 2:32 PM

r28 Jean Harlow. I'm gay. But I'd tap it. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 29November 9, 2022 3:29 PM

I think Jean Harlow looks smashing there.

by Anonymousreply 30November 9, 2022 3:32 PM

Buffy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2022 3:35 PM

Like the Landers Sisters, R26? They're who immediately came to mind when you said that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2022 3:43 PM

Elizabeth Taylor, stupid bitches? If an actress who looks like her bumped on the scene today, she would once again be considered the most beautiful girl in the world. And leave Margot Robbie, JLaw, Emma S. and other Emma, Zendaya and all other basic bitches in shadow.

I don't know why someone mentioned Lauren Bacall. She had very modern kind of looks.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2022 3:54 PM

R26 so Shelley Hack?

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2022 3:59 PM

R26, not blonde but Molly Ringwald fits most of your definition. So funny how American society has done a 180 on asses/curves.

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2022 4:14 PM

Pamela Anderson with her enormous fake tits. People aren't really into giant boobs these days. It's all about huge asses instead because of Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, etc.

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2022 4:19 PM

I still find Audrey Landers in particular to be beautiful. She looks like a blonde blue-eyed Alyssa Milano with her almond-shaped eyes and round features. I agree with the poster above who said many of the early Hollywood, silent era stars. As compelling as she looks, hard to believe someone like Theda Bara was ever considered a beauty, and it's not just the makeup.

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2022 4:20 PM

R37, I think Theda Bara was famous more for being exotic and seductive than for being beautiful. Some of the stars of that era were very pretty. Olive Thomas - who died after accidentally drinking her husband's (Mary Pickford's brother) syphilis medication - was considered one of the most beautiful women in the world, and she was indeed lovely.

The 1910s and early '20s were an era that favored delicate prettiness, much like today, whereas the '40s and '50 (and the '80s) favored stronger features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2022 7:32 PM

What about DL fave Barbara Rush? Here she is in It Came From Outer Space (1953). She has a look that's very characteristic of the '50s, but does anyone think she's not beautiful by the standards of any era?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2022 7:39 PM

Elizabeth Taylor way too fat and short for our time, looks like the waitress of the local pub. Ava gardner, so dated, so tacky, so 50's. Horrible make up. Monroe, petite, fat, greasy little trollop with a clown nose. dated. Rita Hayworth, see Ava Gardner. Not dated = Natalie Wood, gorgeous, Lauren Bacall, would be a star on the catwalk today, Grace Kelly, timeless.

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2022 7:41 PM

Ava Gardner was considered spectacular by the standards of her time. I do think she's beautiful, but if a style of beauty can be said to be dated, this is it. Even in modern makeup and hair, the strong features and grown-woman look wouldn't fit the standards of what is considered peak beauty today.

I like those old standards, better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2022 7:43 PM

could be the cover of august 2022

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2022 7:47 PM

[quote]Lauren Bacall, would be a star on the catwalk today,

Elizabeth Taylor would not have been a "star on the catwalk" in her own time. She was, as you said, too short and too voluptuous (definitely not fat).

What has changed is that the supermodel look is now considered the hallmark of great beauty, and it wasn't back in ET's time. If you like small-featured, skinny, athletic women with cheekbones you could grate cheese on and small, slanting eyes like Melania Trump's, then now's the time for you!

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2022 7:48 PM

Taylor was a midget with a fat bosom, a fat ass, and T-rex arms and legs. Very weak jawliine too. Her only good feature were the marvellous eyes. Not enough for today.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2022 7:54 PM

Natalie Wood would not have made it today.

Eyes too big (especially the whites), bland coloring, nose too snubbed and upturned like a pig, thin lips (especially the top one), 12 year old boy's body, etc.

Actually, she was never even considered to be a great beauty in her own time.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2022 8:11 PM

Natalie Wood was considered one of the great hollywood beauties, and she would totally make it today; She'sthe model for Winona Ryder, Natalie Portman, and co. Gorgeous face and body, fabulous eyes.

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2022 8:17 PM

46 posts and no mention of the Widow Thalberg and her 'good' side?

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2022 8:55 PM

Garbo and anyone who was a star before the late 30's. Vivien Leigh, Ingrid Bergman and Olivia de Haviland excepted

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2022 9:00 PM

Caitlyn Jenner

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2022 9:04 PM

Robert Taylor. Stewart Granger. James Stewart

by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2022 9:09 PM

Was Jimmy Stewart considered a sex symbol? I would pit him in the “every man” category with Tom Hanks. Not ugly, not hot. Fine actors who do what they do well.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2022 9:15 PM

considering who he was paired with , I'd say he was considered attractive

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2022 9:17 PM

R26 here. The Landers sisters and Shelly Hack fit what I described. I was thinking of Christie Brinkley. She is beautiful, but I don't think she would be famous if she was just starting out today because of her small breasts and thin lips. I think Cheryl Tiegs and Bo Derek fit what I'm describing as well, that WASPy, Scandinavian look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2022 9:18 PM

I worked with a young woman who was a dead ringer for Liz Taylor but with 2010s styling and no one thought she looked dated. That kind of beauty is eternal.

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2022 9:23 PM

Even Doris Day's beauty is fairly modern if you put her in contemporary clothes and hair.

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2022 9:25 PM

I worked with a young woman who was the portrait of Natalie Wood, and every body said she was stunning and should be a movie star

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2022 9:27 PM

I think Shelley Hack's look can be more modern than those other 70's blondes. A young Shelley Hack could still be a runway model today.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2022 9:34 PM

Liz Taylor wouldn't make it as a sales assistant at Abercrombie & Fitch

by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2022 9:34 PM

Hedy Lamarr

by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2022 9:38 PM

R8 No way. If you put Joan from the 30’s in todays clothes with todays hairstyles, I don’t think she’d be considered some great beauty.

She’s kinda mannish.

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2022 10:03 PM

Jean Harlow owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 61November 9, 2022 10:06 PM

Leslie Howard co-owns it

by Anonymousreply 62November 9, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote] Elizabeth Taylor way too fat and short for our time

Perfect!

by Anonymousreply 63November 9, 2022 10:26 PM

R60 Even if "kinda mannish" there are a number of runway and print/digital models that have that quality.

by Anonymousreply 64November 9, 2022 10:58 PM

[quote]Any blonde, thin-lipped, flat-chested, no ass model or actress from the 1980s. When you watch certain movies from the early to mid 80s, the woman playing the "hot babe" is often thin but has no shape. In 2022 that type of woman playing the babe makes no sense.

Heroin chic isn't what you're describing but there has been quite an uproar about this article, R26.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 9, 2022 11:08 PM

The reverse is also true. The so-called "beauties" of today would be too thin, too muscular, not womanly enough and too small-featured and mousy-looking to have been considered beauties 80 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 66November 9, 2022 11:39 PM

Elizabeth Taylor was obviously beautiful but she looked so womanly in her teens and 20’s when she rose to stardom. That’s what I meant when I said her looks are dated.

by Anonymousreply 67November 9, 2022 11:47 PM

Any of today's 'beauties' featuring big asses will be relegated to the dustbin of history in future. The Brazilian butt lift will be considered like Chinese foot binding. I cannot get my head around how anyone can think an oversized rear end is anything but unfortunate. I come from the era of 'Does this make my butt look big?'

Same for 1950s-style oversized breasts. I like women to look normal, natural, slim, well-proportioned, with delicate bones, whether short or tall.

by Anonymousreply 68November 9, 2022 11:52 PM

For R68

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 9, 2022 11:59 PM

Hedy Lamarr had a beautiful face with wonderful features and symmetry and she would surely adapt easily to any era and style. Get real, hussies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2022 12:06 AM

For R69

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2022 12:17 AM

R40: Puh-leeze. Marilyn can hardly be called dated when her looks and style have been copied for decades by celebs and regular women and continue to be imitated today by Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Halsey, Lady Gaga, Scarlett Johansson, etc.

The fashion industry is always chasing after “the new,”yet they repeatedly return to styling their models like Marilyn. Clearly, designers think of her as timeless, not old fashioned. They’ve done Marilyn imitations with Linda, Kate Moss, Agyness Deyn, Ginta Lapina, Candice Swanepoel, Gigi Hadid, etc. No doubt, they will channel her looks again in the years to come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2022 12:54 AM

Morgan Fairchild

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2022 3:36 AM

Gladys Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2022 3:40 AM

I’m ready for the Russian baby, huge wide-set alien eyes, tiny nose, big lips look to die off.

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2022 5:39 AM

Cheryl Tiegs

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2022 5:59 AM

Victoria Principal

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2022 8:46 AM

Gladys Cooper is very pretty in that picture. Her looks shine right through the age of the photo and the styling of her day.

by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2022 9:24 AM

^ Yeah, I'm not sure about Gladys. She looks an awful lot like the Blanchetts, and Chastains of our time

by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2022 10:29 AM

Sandra dee

by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2022 10:29 AM

[quote]I like women to look normal, natural, slim, well-proportioned, with delicate bones, whether short or tall.

That is because you are a frau and don't look at women sexually. Straight men like big boobs and ass just like gay men like big dick. Small boobs and flat ass are boner killer like micro dick.

by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2022 11:30 AM

Hardly. Plenty of men like willowy women.

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2022 11:33 AM

So, R81, this is what straight men find sexually desirable?

Fuck me, I'm glad god made me gay.

R68

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2022 11:39 AM

[quote]Hardly. Plenty of men like willowy women.

These are pedo adjacent R82.

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2022 11:41 AM

Or homo adjacent. I remember reading that Oscar Wilde had hard time sleeping with his wife who lost her boyish figure after two childbirths. And George Clooney said that he was not "boob guy".

by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2022 11:45 AM

Pedo adjacent... homo adjacent... And this on a gay forum???

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2022 11:50 AM

R85 Italian Lake District twinks don't have boobs so it works out very well for Uncle George.

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2022 12:04 PM

Uncle George, just like late uncle Oscar confirm my mistrust in straight men who are into willowy women.

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2022 12:10 PM

R9- Collen Corby

The grandmother from the Waltons ?

You're trying to trick me but I'm too smart. She was never beautiful

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2022 12:14 PM

This may come as shock, R81, but some straight men are into legs, thighs, long hair feminine girlish features, even well manicured feet. The assumption that straight men are only into big tits or arses is wrong. I know plenty of straight men who prefer small, but perky tits over larger breasts. One guy I know has a thing for ballerinas and gymnasts. To each their own.

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2022 12:25 PM

By chance I have just watched Pandora and the Flying Dutchman with Ava Gardner on YouTube. Bit tedious and silly by todays standards. But the close up shots of Ava are breath taking. How any one could just be born that beautiful. Add to that the stunning lighting by Jack Cardiff who was a genius. It’s the only reason to watch it. To say she wouldn’t be considered anything now is ridiculous. Not a Barbie doll or child woman like most of todays considered beauties. A beautiful woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2022 12:36 PM

I was joking R90, I know there are, just like there are gay men who like boyish men, without masculine features and with small penises.

I just think that these guys are not real men, with healthy sexual appetite. They have this sexually arrested development, like gay pederasts. I find them dull, uptight, fastidious and stingy. And precious. You know the guys who don't like to eat or drink booze and have no sense of humour.

A real, warm and vivacious straight man likes curves on women, just like gay man likes a bit of muscles and body hair and dick (even if he is not a bottom)

by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2022 12:42 PM

Here are George Chakiris (b. 1932), Yvette Mimieux (b. 1942), and James Darren (b. 1936) in a publicity still for the movie Diamond Head (1962).

Yvette's face is very young, which is modified by a grownup hairstyle and simple dress.

I think both Chakiris and Darren look their age in their faces, but their neat, clean-cut appearance and stylish but adult wardrobe makes them seem older ... i.e. "dated." I think they both look about 10x better than typical male stars their age today, who would resemble gender-ambiguous teenagers.

My problem with the topic is that "dated" is a derogatory word. To say something is dated is to say something is wrong with it, but some people, including me, strongly prefer these "dated"-looking performers and find today's performers seriously lacking sex appeal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2022 11:31 PM

True R93. Dated is so much better. Today' s female stars are unremarkable basic bitches and males are devoid of any masculine appeal.

by Anonymousreply 94November 11, 2022 5:57 AM

I must add that the most beautiful and sexy contemporary female star is almost 60 years old Monica Bellucci. Younger ones are: who let the dogs out.

by Anonymousreply 95November 11, 2022 6:00 AM

Yvette Mimieux was so good in LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2022 10:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!