Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lesser known actors/actresses who have the talent to get Oscar nominations if given the right role

-Carrie Coon. She's not great on The Gilded Age, but has been good in other TV shows and movies.

-Zoe Kazan-Was great in HBO's The Plot Against America. Could get an Oscar nod with the right role. But ,her upcoming movie She Said looks bland.

My other picks are

-Himesh Patel

-Kelly Reilly

-Betty Gilpin

by Anonymousreply 125January 9, 2024 5:14 AM

Tatiana Maslany. If you saw her in Orphan Black, she can do anything.

by Anonymousreply 1November 8, 2022 5:21 PM

Aaron Taylor-Johnson

For his performance as psychopathic drifter Ray Marcus in Tom Ford's thriller Nocturnal Animals (2016), he won the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor and was nominated for the BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role.

Taylor-Johnson later starred as military commander Ives in Christopher Nolan's spy action epic Tenet (2020), and assassin Tangerine in David Leitch's thriller Bullet Train (2022). As part of Sony's Spider-Man Universe he will star as another Marvel character, Kraven the Hunter, in a 2023 self-titled film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 8, 2022 5:34 PM

Margo Martindale

Andy Serkis

Jenny Slate

by Anonymousreply 3November 8, 2022 5:38 PM

Hong Chau

Sheila Atim

Another vote for Margo Martindale

by Anonymousreply 4November 8, 2022 5:43 PM

Carrie Coon was outstanding in a featured role (as Affleck's sister) in GONE GIRL. But I find her really lackluster in GILDED AGE.

Not a fan of Aaron Taylor-Johnson. I find him hammy and obvious in almost everything (and boring to watch in everything else). Yes, he's got an amazing body, and good for him for showing it off. But he needs to pick better projects.

I like Jenny Slate a lot as a personality. But when has she ever given an award-worthy performance?

by Anonymousreply 5November 8, 2022 5:44 PM

Ann Dowd

by Anonymousreply 6November 8, 2022 6:04 PM

I could see Jenny Slate doing well in some of well written dramedy movie. It would be hilarious if Jenny Slate or someone other former SNL cast member who isn't as well known as overrated Kate McKinnon managed to get an Oscar nominated role and their career took off more.

There's a character actress Mary Holland who mostly takes roles as weirdos, annoying women, or wimpy women in various TV shows and movies. But, she seems like someone who could do well in a dramedy type role similar to Jenny Slate.

by Anonymousreply 7November 8, 2022 6:18 PM

Margo’s been busy with TV work but maybe her role in Cocaine Bear will garner notice. She’s outstanding in everything she does. (And is a terrific person, so would love to see her a contender.)

by Anonymousreply 8November 8, 2022 7:16 PM

Beth Grant.

by Anonymousreply 9November 8, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote] Tatiana Maslany. If you saw her in Orphan Black, she can do anything.

For a bit, it seemed like that movie Stronger was set up as Oscar bait for her and Jake Gyllenhaal. But, that movie flopped hard. I agree, she's terrific and given the right role could easily get an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2022 8:00 PM

No one saw The Nest (it was released in 2020 when no one was paying attention), but Carrie Coon was terrific in it. That should have been her Oscar nomination.

You could probably make a great list made only of British actors, all waiting for their Olivia Colman style breakout.

by Anonymousreply 11November 8, 2022 8:04 PM

Slightly off topic, but Tatiana Maslany is tragically wasted on that horrific She Hulk show

by Anonymousreply 12November 8, 2022 8:06 PM

R12 I totally agree. That show was a total letdown.

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2022 8:14 PM

Julianne Nicholson

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2022 8:22 PM

Ella Purnell

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2022 8:33 PM

Michelle Phillips

Karen Grassle

Heather Locklear

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2022 8:51 PM

Mariah Carey

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2022 9:01 PM

Julianne Nicholson is a good one! Her career has been a slow burn… never the big star like many of her peers but does lots of great work and I expect her to continue to get cast in quality projects.

But she was outstanding in Mare of Eastown and I could see it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2022 9:16 PM

Ann Dowd was also who I thought of first. Phenomenal actress who I never really noticed until The Leftovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2022 10:04 PM

Julia Garner

by Anonymousreply 20November 9, 2022 2:08 AM

Meh, by the end of Ozark, Julia’s schtick was tiresome to me, but I guess I’m an outlier.

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2022 2:10 AM

Aaron Taylor Johnson? For being a piece of ass?

by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2022 2:16 AM

R21, I think that’s more an Ozark problem than a Julia Garner problem, but I got tired of her on that show, too.

by Anonymousreply 23November 9, 2022 2:16 AM

Yes aunt Lydia will have an Oscar nomination

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2022 2:18 AM

Well Julianne Nicholson certainly won't be winning anything for her humiliating nude scene in "blonde"

by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2022 2:20 AM

Loved Zoe in plot against America. But I thought clickbait was terrible trash, with a twist that didn't make a lick of sense. I agree that She said looks bland. The subject is tv movie or doc material not a feature film.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2022 2:35 AM

The Nest was an interesting film. Nice commentary on how social mobility is not always a good thing. Coon was great in it as well as gone girl.

by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2022 2:37 AM

R7 Holland interests me because she seems like an oddball type of actress you would find in the 1970s. Strange and quirky, I'm definitely watching her career closely.

by Anonymousreply 28November 9, 2022 2:38 AM

Judy Greer

Kelly McDonald

Gil Birmingham

Not sure if he qualifies as "lesser known" but I'm sure a nomination is in his future = Ben Foster

by Anonymousreply 29November 9, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]Loved Zoe in plot against America. But I thought clickbait was terrible trash, with a twist that didn't make a lick of sense. I agree that She said looks bland. The subject is tv movie or doc material not a feature film.

I thought it was odd as fuck that she went from a well down miniseries to an awful trashy miniseries like Clickbait.

by Anonymousreply 30November 9, 2022 3:30 AM

Tatiana Maslany had the role of playing the younger Helen Mirren’s real life character in The Woman in Gold and was inspired casting and completely mesmerizing in a small, but crucial role. She held the screen perfectly and flawlessly slid into being an early 20th century Viennese woman of privilege. She’s got an amazing skill set that should make her the present day Meryl Streep, but I guess she just hasn’t gotten the cinematic role to launch her properly. But when she does I can’t wait to see the parts and performances she nails and awards she’ll get.

by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2022 3:33 AM

I don’t think Hollywood and the Academy will ever forgive Zoe’s for her grandfather’s sins enough that she’ll get nominated, let alone awarded.

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2022 3:34 AM

Kelly MacDonald has always seemed on track to have a bigger career, but it’s never really happened. It’s not because of lack of talent or even lack of opportunity. She may just be happy at the level of fame she has, which is still greater than most actors could think of having.

R32, no one is going to punish Zoe because of her grandfather, who died almost two decades ago and earned an extra Honorary Award on top of his competitive Oscars only a few years before that. Almost everyone involved in the black list is dead, and it’s not like people like Ed Harris and Amy Madigan, who refused to clap when Kazan won his award, are going to take it out on Zoe.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2022 3:44 AM

[quote]Holland interests me because she seems like an oddball type of actress you would find in the 1970s. Strange and quirky, I'm definitely watching her career closely.

I agree, she seems to have the acting style of people from past eras. She was a weird drama iindie movie called And Then There Was Eve. Her role was quite small, but had a serious tone which nailed quite well. I could see her being someone that could succeed in a drama role if directors and writers look past some of the comedy stuff she has done.

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2022 3:50 AM

^I meant to type "who could succeed" instead of "that".

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2022 3:53 AM

[quote]Kelly MacDonald has always seemed on track to have a bigger career, but it’s never really happened. It’s not because of lack of talent or even lack of opportunity. She may just be happy at the level of fame she has, which is still greater than most actors could think of having.

I also thought years ago she would have a very big career.

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2022 3:55 AM

Viola Davis

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2022 3:56 AM

Olivia Williams

Paddy Considine (much better known now finally because of House of the Dragon)

Elle Fanning

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2022 4:07 AM

Jodie Comer

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2022 4:09 AM

I could kind of see Sandra Oh pulling out an amazing Academy Award level movie performance at some point.

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2022 4:10 AM

Aaron Taylor-Johnson is decent enough, but in the end he's little more than just a hot slab of beef who is a tolerable actor.

Kraven the Hunter will be make or break for him in terms of becoming a major movie star, and I doubt he can pull it off (Kraven does not have the fanbase that Venom does).

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2022 4:17 AM

Matthew Macfadyen; in fact, he had the right role a couple of years ago with "The Assistant", but the movie was barely released.

by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2022 4:18 AM

Brendad Ickson

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2022 4:19 AM

Riz Ahmed is always good in his many films, but his role in VENOM was awful, it wasn't his best US accent and he was terrible villain. Riz was excellent in The Night Of HBO series (he won an EMMY for that role) and he did get an Oscar nod for Sound Of Metal, he lost to Anthony Hopkins.

Seems his behind the scenes nonsense is catching up with him, he doesn't have any major roles coming up.

Riz was set to do a UK series about a Pakistani family who were living in the UK for 30-40 years, he was writing and directing. The production shut down. The reason, Riz ripped off the entire premise from a South Asian student's thesis. The story gets even more convoluted, a famous Indian female director was involved in Riz ripping off the student. The student who wrote the thesis was her professor husband's student! The husband teaches at a major NYC university. Another person told me the husband was fired.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2022 4:34 AM

[quote]I could kind of see Sandra Oh pulling out an amazing Academy Award level movie performance at some point.

I agree. It would be similar to Allison Janney having various accolades for TV work and then getting an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2022 4:50 AM

If Kerri Russell can get a movie role that lets her give the type performance she did on The Americans, I think she could win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2022 5:15 AM

I think it's funny that after setting the West End ablaze for a few years, and then not materializing in movies, it took doing a Western with Kevin Costner to propel Kelly Reilly back into the conversation. She has the chops.

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2022 5:24 AM

Not lesser known but Brad Dourif. He's not getting any younger at 72 and should have won best supporting in 1975 for OFOTCN and nominated/won for Wise Blood in 1979. Character actors deserve better than say your typical leading man.

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2022 5:38 AM

Madeline Brewer, best know for her performance of Janine in The Handmaid’s Tale, but also amazing in Orange is the New Black can really disappear into a role and I think she has great potential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2022 7:52 AM

I know he has a Best Supporting. actor Emmy but would argue that Tobias Menzies is still not really recognisable to the average film goer.

He’s done some incredible work on tv, like in the Terror and the Crown, but for some reason hasn’t done comparable roles in films. I can totally see him pulling off an astonishing performance but he just needs to get a meaningful role.

by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2022 9:39 AM

Keri Russell (and Nathan Fillion, for that matter) was excellent in Waitress. I have rewatched that movie several times and really felt she nailed a small town, abused, down on her luck waitress.

Matthew McFayden is excellent and hot as hell. I have watched him in several of his projects, and he always seems to nail it.

Agree about Tatiana, Sandra Oh, Carrie Coon. Coon kind of came out of nowhere for me a few years ago (at least I never noticed her before that). I could see her getting a nom.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2022 10:18 AM

It blows my mind that Himesh Patel is getting so many good Hollywood roles - he popped up at the end of Enola Holmes 2 playing Dr Watson and I would expect he'll be in the sequel. I can only ever see him as Tamwar from EastEnders and he was awful, it's some weird black magic that has given him a career IMO

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2022 10:30 AM

Himesh is one of the go-to actors that Mike Flanagan always gives a role to in his yearly/semi-yearly "horror/thriller" shows. He's gotten a lot of exposure through those shows/limited series.

by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2022 10:36 AM

I think you're confusing him with Rahul Kohli R53...

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2022 10:41 AM

Oh man, you're right r54, thank you for the correction.

Now I'm embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2022 10:57 AM

Angourie Rice and Eliza Scanlen are very talented and have the potential to be Oscar nominees someday.

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2022 3:52 PM

Tara Reid. I see her as a great public intellectual like Susan Sontag or Doris Kearns Goodwin.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2022 4:17 PM

Tara could use a good roll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 9, 2022 6:23 PM

I think Paddy Considine did a great job in "House of the Dragon" and I could see him doing greater things in the future, up there with Daniel Day-Lewis, etc.

by Anonymousreply 59November 9, 2022 6:28 PM

DL Favorite Oliver Jackson-Cohen. He was very good in various roles, like The Man in the Orange Shirt, and those Mike Flanagan series.

by Anonymousreply 60November 9, 2022 6:36 PM

As an aside, I wish Oscar voters would take more chances. I feel like they have a set of actors and actresses that they deem worthy and ignore other equally good and frequently better performances from lesser known performers.

by Anonymousreply 61November 9, 2022 7:54 PM

R49 I could see her breaking out more after Handmaid's Tale ends.

by Anonymousreply 62November 9, 2022 8:46 PM

Oscar voters need to stop placing weight on how a film does when selecting best performances.

Just because a movie didn’t catch fire doesn’t negate the power of a great performance.

And voters need to resist a good story… like when they finally award that actor who has been winless for decades, or they crown the actress in her big comeback.

by Anonymousreply 63November 9, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote]It blows my mind that Himesh Patel is getting so many good Hollywood roles - he popped up at the end of Enola Holmes 2 playing Dr Watson and I would expect he'll be in the sequel. I can only ever see him as Tamwar from EastEnders and he was awful, it's some weird black magic that has given him a career IMO

Wasn't he an awkward teen on Eastenders? Yes, he's acting was awful. In the US, his breakthrough role was in that Beatle film.

Pretty sure not many Americans watched Eastenders, it was shown in the US on our public broadcast channels. IIRC, Eastenders started airing in US TV sometime in the 1980s.

The BBC decided not to renew their contract with PBS, the series was cancelled last year. In the US, the Eastenders episodes were years behind the UK episodes.

by Anonymousreply 64November 9, 2022 9:27 PM

I don’t know about “lesser known”, but Sterling K Brown is somebody I would be watching.

by Anonymousreply 65November 9, 2022 9:35 PM

I'm actually kind of surprised that Sterling K. Brown hasn't already done some Oscar bait type movie.

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2022 1:55 AM

Samantha Robinson

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2022 2:01 AM

For some reason, I think that Chloe Moretz could get a great role and play the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2022 2:04 AM

Jessie Buckley. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2022 2:12 AM

Daniel Roebuck

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2022 2:13 AM

Michelle Monaghan

Chloe Sevingny

I could see Martha Plimpton as a veteran actress type who gets an Oscar nod with the right role.

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2022 4:30 AM

Martha Plimpton. She’s been memorable in so many things.

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2022 4:34 AM

Jessie Buckley and Chloe Sevigny are Oscar nominees!

The Jennifer Lawrence movie Causeway that just came out has a couple acclaimed theater actors who could qualify: Linda Emond, Jayne Houdyshell and Stephen McKinley Henderson.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2022 5:09 AM

Carrie Preston, Amanda Plummer, Rainn Wilson, Michelle Yeoh, Katey Sagal, Uzo Aduba

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2022 7:01 AM

Diane Venora. Juilliard trained. Played Hamlet under Joseph Papp’s theater direction. Tends to be viewed more as a ‘character actor’ who worked with J. K. Simmons who later won an Oscar for Whiplash. If given the right role, she’d hit a grand slam.

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2022 9:00 AM

[quote]The Jennifer Lawrence movie Causeway that just came out has a couple acclaimed theater actors who could qualify: Linda Emond, Jayne Houdyshell and Stephen McKinley Henderson.

I watched Causeway over the weekend and I thought it was decent movie that could have been fleshed out more especially Linda Emond's character as the mom of Jennifer Lawrence's character.

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2022 11:17 AM

A Tracy Letts / Carrie Coon double nomination would be cool most likely well-earned.

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2022 11:26 AM

Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2022 7:44 PM

Gaby Hoffmann has acted since she was a child and is fairly well known. She's someone who with the right indie movie role could easily get an Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 79November 12, 2022 2:33 AM

OP, Zoe Kazan sucks. I've seen her in a few stage productions and she was inept.

by Anonymousreply 80November 12, 2022 2:36 AM

Agree about Oliver Jackson-Cohen - he should've been an Emmy contender for Haunting of Hill House if Netflix had submitted it as a limited series instead of a regular drama. And Jessie Buckley is the best part of anything she's in, even crappy things.

by Anonymousreply 81November 12, 2022 4:43 AM

Lisa Eichhorn

Treat Williams

Veronica Cartwright

by Anonymousreply 82November 12, 2022 4:57 AM

R82, they're all in their 60s or 70s. It still could happen for any of them, but it's not like any of those actors are promising newcomers.

by Anonymousreply 83November 12, 2022 5:00 AM

R79 She has one of the hairy bushes in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 84November 12, 2022 5:32 AM

I could see Gaby Hoffman getting a serious Oscar bait role in the future.

by Anonymousreply 85November 13, 2022 2:46 AM

Ron Cephas Jones

by Anonymousreply 86November 13, 2022 4:43 AM

John Carroll Lynch is damn good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 13, 2022 12:23 PM

Zoe Kazan should fight off Emily Blunt and Rooney Mara to play Dorothy Kilgallen.

by Anonymousreply 88November 13, 2022 2:03 PM

R88 kazan I can definitely see in the part. Mara and blunt would be terrible, they're too cold. Dorothy was scrappy and witty, not some repressed ice bucket. I doubt she would have to fight either of them for the role unless the casting directors were complete morons.

by Anonymousreply 89November 13, 2022 3:41 PM

Zoe Kazan is a good actress and has the look but she’s too mousy to play Dorothy Kilgallen

by Anonymousreply 90November 15, 2022 7:27 PM

Well, she sucked in every show I've seen her in, R90.

by Anonymousreply 91November 15, 2022 7:55 PM

Zoe Kazan was quite good in The Plot Against America.

by Anonymousreply 92November 15, 2022 8:07 PM

Maybe she's better on tv, where she doesn't have to have the skills of a trained actor on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 93November 15, 2022 8:27 PM

Tuesday Weld, shame she quit.

by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2022 11:08 PM

R90 who would you cast instead?

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2022 11:13 PM

R87 he was amazing as the creepy fake father in the house zero tv series

by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2022 11:14 PM

My vote for the first on the OP's list.

You know how the Oscars are.

Won't they be surprised!

by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2022 11:17 PM

Actually it was called no end house. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2022 11:20 PM

It is not surprising that nobody has mentioned M's untalented daughters.

by Anonymousreply 99November 16, 2022 2:01 AM

Where and how did Christine Baranski get so popular now? She performed completely nude on stage back in the day and no one noticed. She is Juilliard trained, but so are many other Juilliard character actors are as well. I wonder who she did the casting couch dance with to get her recent good roles??

Mind you, there is very intense competition for female character actresses. Hmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 100November 16, 2022 11:39 AM

Casting couch? She had a good but unspectacular career prior to the Good Wife and, when she knocked that out of the park, got a sequel and then Gilded Age.

by Anonymousreply 101November 16, 2022 6:33 PM

Cecily Strong

by Anonymousreply 102November 18, 2022 3:03 AM

There's this woman... one of those faces. The name just absolutely escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 103November 18, 2022 3:05 AM

R101 she’s so repulsive to me. I’ll never get the love for her on here.

by Anonymousreply 104November 18, 2022 3:12 AM

R104, Baranski specializes in WASPs of a certain age who are either bitchy, boozy, or both. It shouldn’t be that shocking why she has a lot of fans on DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2022 4:22 AM

Kit Connor.

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2022 4:49 AM

R103 You don't even remember your own daughters name. Harvey enabler!

by Anonymousreply 107November 18, 2022 7:21 AM

Tom Burke is probably the best of British actors in his age group. He’s a bit too polished slick , as most of the drama school trained Brits are, but unlike most of them he retains enough rough edges to surprise.

by Anonymousreply 108November 27, 2022 2:03 AM

Dick Delaware for "Cum Dribblers 4".

by Anonymousreply 109November 27, 2022 2:17 AM

Interesting, how nobody mentioned me. I'm enjoying my Oscar nomination bitches.

by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2023 4:33 PM

Alfre Woodard Kimberly Elise Anika Noni Rose Sanaa Lathan

by Anonymousreply 111January 27, 2023 6:35 PM

Guy Pearce. And he'll win the first time he's nominated.

by Anonymousreply 112January 27, 2023 8:54 PM

[quote] Diane Venora. Juilliard trained. Played Hamlet under Joseph Papp’s theater direction. Tends to be viewed more as a ‘character actor’ who worked with J. K. Simmons who later won an Oscar for Whiplash. If given the right role, she’d hit a grand slam.

She's someone who should have a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 113January 27, 2023 10:19 PM

Sam Reid, who should probably be the next James Bond.

His career is pretty inconsistent, but he's generally the best thing in everything he's in.

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2023 10:53 PM

Sam Reid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2023 10:54 PM

Hope Davis

by Anonymousreply 116February 13, 2023 5:54 AM

r44, why are you talking about Riz Ahmed in this thread? He ALREADY has an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 117February 13, 2023 5:59 AM

Jizz Ahmed

by Anonymousreply 118February 13, 2023 6:02 AM

[quote][R44], why are you talking about Riz Ahmed in this thread? He ALREADY has an Oscar.

WTF are YOU talking about? Riz Ahmed didn't get an Oscar for the film he was nominated for, Sound of Metal.

Riz, and the director Aneil Karia, got an Oscar as a consolation prize for their ridiculous long form music video, The Long Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 119February 13, 2023 6:09 AM

I agree with several of these, especially Olivia Williams. She just acted rings around everyone in AN EDUCATION (which was pretty remarkable in a film that made Carey Mulligan a star and included such fine actors as Alfred Molina, Emma Thompson, Peter Sarsgaard, and Rosamund Pike), and the next year she got an even better part in the criminall underseen THE GHOST WRITER where she again knocked it out of the park. but she's not been much seen since then, and was criminally not given enough to do on the last season of THE CROWN (though one hopes she gets to show her stuff for the final season, which will likely focus a lot on Camilla).

Others I would like to see go up soon 9either because they have never or have not in a good long while):

*Alfre Woodard (probably the best older actress around today not to have one--sorry, Glenn and Michelle)

*Patricia Clarkson

*Anya Taylor-Joy

*Toni Collette (probably the best middle-aged actress around today who has yet to have one)

by Anonymousreply 120February 13, 2023 6:13 AM

Toni Collette had an Oscar nod for The Sixth Sense. I wish she would have had one for Hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 121February 20, 2023 9:03 PM

[quote]Toni Collette had an Oscar nod for The Sixth Sense. I wish she would have had one for Hereditary.

Hereditary? looool

It's extremely rare for a horror film to get nominated, let alone win an Oscar, especially a horror film with so much gore.

by Anonymousreply 122February 21, 2023 12:48 AM

I feel asleep during Hereditary and what I did see of it was awful.

Toni Collette is really good in the recent comedy The Estate with Ana Faris & Kathleen Turner. Good to see filmmakers making something that throws political correctness out the door. I may be overrating it because so much comedy made in recent years is so bland.

by Anonymousreply 123February 21, 2023 12:16 PM

Patricia Clarkson's been nominated

by Anonymousreply 124February 21, 2023 12:21 PM

Bel Powley

by Anonymousreply 125January 9, 2024 5:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!