Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you were given a choice of European city to go to THIS WEEK, all expenses paid...

which city would you choose? And what would you do when you get there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 9, 2022 12:24 AM

Copenhagen

by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2022 10:11 PM

Kyiv

by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2022 10:14 PM

Bath.

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2022 10:16 PM

Very hard question OP. I'd probably have to go with either London or Cape Town.

London because after a 3 days there in 2016, it stole my heart as my favorite big city after Chicago and NY. What a city, and those accents!!!!! It's easy enough to reach from the US, but damn is it expensive. If the air fair and hotel can be covered I'd be in heaven having afternoon tea at least 3 times (didn't do it once when I went). Touring St. James Palace (don't care that it's winter and the garden is out of season). I'd see a West End show, a Cabaret show, and a play at the Globe Theater's in-door stage (not in the actual Globe). I'd also hit up the museums, some swanky bars, and have a Sunday roast, depending on my arrival/departure day. I'd do a day trip to Windsor or some other nice city/town. I'd used Tinder to setup a date or two, super easy, do it when I travel for work.

Next we'd have the gay bars and yes, I'd visit their two main gay saunas.

I'd also have to consider Cape Town. It's a long as hell flight, and I've already been in Sydney. I'm currently saving up for a South Africa trip for 2023, but man the ticket prices hurt. Hard to find great deals. It's also summer down there right now, so while hot as balls, I'd take the free flight and accommodations. So much to do and see in South Africa. I can't wait for my real trip.

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2022 10:18 PM

I'm sorry, I meant Hampton Court Palace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2022 10:19 PM

Take 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2022 10:20 PM

Barcelona

by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2022 10:21 PM

I've been to most and right now I'd say London. Maybe Paris. Or Zurich - I haven't been there.

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2022 10:39 PM

A whole week in Zurich?

by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2022 10:43 PM

Lisbon 3 days, Porto 3 days, plus a little countryside.

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2022 10:47 PM

Zurich = a week of bankers and angry looks

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2022 10:48 PM

Dear R4, perhaps you should have paid attention in geography class??

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2022 10:51 PM

Paris... zero question

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2022 10:54 PM

Nice

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2022 10:55 PM

Palermo, Italy

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2022 10:56 PM

r12 what part did I get wrong. I mentioned, Sydney because when people think of long expensive flights it's usually Australia or Japan on their minds. I've already done Australia, not in the mood of Japan right now, but want to visit South Africa. I was just noting that the flight is almost as long as the flight to Sidney.

Also, stop being a cunt, you wonder DL member you! :)

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2022 10:57 PM

Oops, I didn't read OP's title correctly. It is me being the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2022 11:02 PM

Either Havana or Shanghai!

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2022 11:06 PM

Quebec City.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2022 11:15 PM

Lisbon

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2022 11:16 PM

Definitely London. Theatre and Indian food -I'm home!

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2022 11:30 PM

[quote] and Indian food

Every night? & what's on in the theater that's drawing you?

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2022 11:31 PM

I've only been to London, Bath, Paris, and Versailles, so far. I'd rather wait a few weeks and go to the Christmas markets in Germany, or Scandinavia. But what country and city has the best Christmas market(s)? Has anyone here been? I'd love to know about your first-hand experiences. I really don't like crowds, but I don't seem to mind as much in Europe.

IF I waited a few weeks (which is not what the OP posed) I could go in mid-December to enjoy the feast of St. Lucy, take in the Christmas markets, AND partake in Finnish saunas. So...Helsinki I guess? But the German and Swedish markets look so much more inviting from what I've seen. Fuck, I need to do more traveling.

German Christmas Markets...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2022 11:59 PM

Yes, Indian food. It's an entire cuisine with many different kinds of dishes. Every night for a week? Why not? People in India do it all the time...

What's on in theatre? Honestly, I don't know. But I've been to London so many times that I've learned the West End musicals aren't all there is. Plenty to choose from at all times.

And by day there are wonderful museums, great shopping, and scones with cream everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2022 12:54 AM

London.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2022 1:08 AM

Vienna or Florence.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2022 1:42 AM

Barcelona

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2022 1:58 AM

r23 given your history of grand European cities and desire for a good Christmas feel, I'd say you'd fall in love with Vienna at Christmas. It's a gorgeous city and in parts, like a mini Paris without all the drama and grime. I could just imagine sitting in one of their fabulous cafes watching snow fall while I cradle my mug like a common midwest frau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2022 2:29 AM

Florence

Eat

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2022 3:24 AM

[quote] "[R23] given your history of grand European cities and desire for a good Christmas feel, I'd say you'd fall in love with Vienna at Christmas. It's a gorgeous city and in parts, like a mini Paris without all the drama and grime. I could just imagine sitting in one of their fabulous cafes watching snow fall while I cradle my mug like a common midwest frau."

That's a WONDERFUL idea, R28! I don't know why I didn't consider it, given I used to watch the Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Concert every year on PBS. The tickets aren't cheap of course, but I'd spring. It would be amazing and surreal to see it in person after watching it from across the world for all those years.

And I'm right there with you where the café is concerned. Everything about Viennese Café Culture is beautiful and fascinating. I'd have to wear something dapper and 18th or 19th century adjacent. I'd do a lot of walking, but I'd gain so much fucking weight eating my way through Vienna...and I'd love every minute. Thanks for the suggestion! I think I have a plan now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2022 7:15 AM

r30, I mentioned Vienna because I was there in August 2021. First time visit and fell head of heels in love. There are always standing tickets to the symphony, and you won't have to wear a full tux or suit for those seats. I'm not sure if their COVID rules have relaxed, probably. When I went they had an outstanding deal for the cheap seats. It was center stage back balcony on the first level. You used to stand but due to COVID regulations, they were giving people seats. Our tour guid said it's a massive perk to have a seat, direct view of the stage at like 15-30 euros. It may be back to standing but at the prices they're asking, it's still worth it.

The cheap seats were the box in the very first row. Outstanding view and in part done because the opera is largely state funded and they believe that all people should have access to the arts. And, they change the show every week. While you are watching one performance, the stage and design for the next is already being built or built behind the first.

I found the men to be handsome to very attractive, though it's hard to tell who is or isn't a local on the street. Food was great, but typical Germanic fair. Airbnb's were very affordable and Parisian (in my mind). Think french doors, beautiful hardwood floors, Juliet balconies. Their streets have wide boulevards.

Vienna was outstanding. I'm 30 so met a guy on Tinder and he took me to a pop-up club in one of their fancy train stations. It was so random but added to the outstanding part of my trip. You will love Vienna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2022 2:27 PM

Cairo for the legendary Christmas markets!

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2022 4:19 PM

Is Balmoral considered a city? I hear that there, all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and it’s sad turmoils.

I’d like that.

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2022 4:43 PM

San Sebastian

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2022 4:58 PM

I’d like some clarification on “all expenses paid.”

Could we stay at The Ritz?

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2022 4:58 PM

It would be either Paris or Berlin.... Paris because I returned from my first visit there almost exactly 3 years ago & thoroughly loved it and the French people I interacted with (and eagerly want to go back again soon!) or Berlin because it's been on my bucket list nearly all of my life. I worked in W. Germany one summer as a youth but never made it Berlin when it was an isolated and divided city behind the encircling Iron Curtain and to this day still only ever knew Munich in Germany.

I've been to London 3 times and HATE how it's skyline has grown so absolutely ugly in the 30 plus years since I went there the first time. It's as if they've willingly or purposely sold off their city (and it's skyline!) to the influx of dirty banking money and as a result also lost what they had in terms of order and also taste & sensibility in design!

Linked below is one of the worst offenders.. I kid you not!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2022 6:25 PM

I live in London and I've never even seen that building...so why you'd find this aspect such a big deal, I do not know. Most of those buildings are in The City (the financial district) where most people have no need to go.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2022 6:31 PM

Bologna. Cooking classes. Eating out.

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2022 6:33 PM

I’d choose Madrid with lots of day trips to Toledo and other small towns. I’m a bit over big cities since I live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2022 6:43 PM

To each their own and their own tastes in design. You know mine and now I know yours. If it's out of sight for you, apparently it's of no concern. And that's just fine... for you.

It's really hard to miss that tower if you are a tourist and doing things that are Thames-centric in location and thus easily seen.

On my last visit to London, we did things with my Watford and Chelmsford friends that constantly put us within close eye sight of that ugly, misshapen monster.

Judging by the tone of the piece I linked first, it has had a bad rap with much of the British public as well so I'm not alone in my negative opinion of it.

The only 2 days during which I didn't see it was when my partner and I took day trips out of the city.

If I hadn't seen London in 1989 and 1991 on my 2 earliest trips, I'd likely not be so bothered by that particular bastardization of design... but I do remember that London and know that it looked far better back in 1989 & 1991 in terms of it's skyline.

On the plus side for London, the dirt and grime that was evident in 1989 are all but erased and that's a very welcome change for the better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2022 6:46 PM

R17 Because when you assume, you make a cunt out of you and me.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2022 6:49 PM

Andorra La Vella.

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2022 7:07 PM

Rome, and see all kinds of old shit and eat and drink and see the pines, The Coliseum, The Pantheon, The Trevi fountain, the catacombs...

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2022 7:08 PM

Paris, probably.

Bologna sounds interesting. I've been to Rome and I don't think I'd need to go back, again.

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2022 7:10 PM

Another for Rome.

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2022 7:18 PM

Rome had become overwhelmingly touristy last time I went. The centre of the city is all pedestrianised. I first went in 1973 and it was so buzzy and still had the chic movie world vibe that began in the 50s. And I was into cars as a kiddie and the cars were so cool.

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2022 7:34 PM

The new Così fan tutte in Munich, then some hot trade huge cock, beer, and sausages.

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2022 8:21 PM

Stockholm.

Never been there

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2022 8:28 PM

Rome or Venice. If you could force all the tourists out.

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2022 10:20 PM

Seville. It's warm. And gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 50November 7, 2022 10:23 PM

Newcastle-upon-Tyne and then travel all around the Northumberland countryside and see all the castles.

by Anonymousreply 51November 7, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote] Is Balmoral considered a city? I hear that there, all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and it’s sad turmoils.

R33, Balmoral (and Ballater, the nearest small town) are beautiful, but Her late Majesty had the right idea: visit in spring, summer and/or autumn and then get the hell out of there. I suspect the place falls asleep in October until the springtime.

If I was being given an all-expenses-paid trip, I’d visit Reykjavik to see the Northern Lights, and enjoy nightlife.

Of the places I have visited before, Stockholm, Hamburg and Edinburgh are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 52November 7, 2022 10:54 PM

London, to rekindle an old flame and to buy some new KCIII tea towels.

by Anonymousreply 53November 7, 2022 11:09 PM

Vienna. Always grand, beautiful Vienna.

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2022 11:13 PM

[quote] The centre of the city is all pedestrianised.

Oh, the horror!

by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2022 11:22 PM

Wexford, Ireland

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2022 11:24 PM

i'd say she married to her level.

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2022 11:28 PM

Lubyanka! I’d take a river cruise and have lunch at a riverside cafe. I’d visit the local farmers market. I’d ogle the handsome college students.

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2022 11:30 PM

Paris, at le depot, shirtless with pants around my ankles

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2022 11:56 PM

I would go to Palermo where I would eat, drink, fuck and sleep.

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2022 12:09 AM

I am, in fact, leaving for Lisbon on Saturday. How do I get my expenses reimbursed?

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2022 12:47 AM

[quote]Bologna. Cooking classes. Eating out.

And not to mention their famous processed meat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2022 12:50 AM

R61 Please contact Ginny in Billing

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2022 9:24 PM

Portugal seems like a bootleg Spain.

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2022 9:28 PM

It's good to be home in Spain after a couple weeks in Italy, but if I had to jump on OP's offer, I think I would back to Italy and take a week in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2022 10:33 PM

No Amsterdam mentions? Sure it’s suffering from overtourism again but there are areas like the Jordaan and de Pijp that are still massively charming.

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2022 10:50 PM

Anywhere where I am least likely to be blown up by a terrorist.

by Anonymousreply 67November 9, 2022 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!