Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shutters

Why are they just for decoration in the US (aside from maybe a few hurricane areas like Florida) but fully functional in Europe? I mean, yes, they look nice, and I guess most would say they make the windows look "complete", but it's really kind of ridiculous. I've seen some where they're not as wide as they window they are next to. At least make them somewhat believable.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2022 4:55 AM

Seriously? In Florida they're more functional than decorative, but houses in Europe built 100s of years ago appear more decorative. In New England where houses are old they look like European shutters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2022 10:26 PM

[quote] I've seen some where they're not as wide as they window they are next to

That inane fad has become de rigeur amongst the brainless fools in my region.

It's almost as stupid as these nitwits who have to "dress up" windows by placing a planter box full of petunias under each window. Any wise man knows the petunia will die and moisture will destroy the bottom lintel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2022 10:37 PM

I've had interior shutters in the past and they were functional.

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2022 1:24 AM

^ I think we're talking about the exterior kind

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2022 3:55 AM

R3 Were you trying to repel hurricanes or perverts?

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2022 4:14 AM

Cyclones or Peeping Toms?

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2022 4:54 AM

It seems like the ranch home is the style most likely to have faux shutters on them, and I think it's because the windows look unbalanced unless there's something around it. A wide frame in a contrasting color looks better to me than faux shutters, like in this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2022 5:39 AM

R5, no I used them instead of curtains. They looked nice and they provided good insulation.

Though in a hurricane they'd keep glass out, but they wouldn't really keep all water out. You need proper exterior storm shutters for that.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2022 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!