Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I jumped off a bridge in our Marvelous Midwestern town!

Not the Tallahachie bridge, bitches......no ma'am!

That tramp in Genoa City tried to jump but I did it first and I was FABULOUS!

CANNONBALL, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260December 3, 2022 8:54 PM

The tsunami resulting from that heifer’s plunge destroyed entire communities in The Caribbean and The Gulf Coast.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2022 7:28 PM

Thanks R1 for giving me the platform to remind everyone to FF and BLOCK the psycho loon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2022 7:39 PM

I’m not that troll you fucking moron. I hate that idiot and his infantile posting, none of it is humorous except maybe Helen Wagner telling Colleen Zenk that sbes a tramp

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2022 7:56 PM

Great Kim Zimmer story.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s I was having a drink waiting for a friend for dinner at the Glenwood Grill in Raleigh and, sitting alone, was eavesdropping on conversations around me. The woman to my right said, “I had a young man come up to me in the airport and tell me he’d watched me with his mother since her was a young boy.”

It was such a strange statement I turned and it was Reva Shane, in the flesh, whom I had watched as long as the young man mentioned.

I chimed in and we struck up a conversation and she asked if I golfed. She was in town to play for the Jimmy V Charity golf tournament.

“I’ve played but I’m out of practice!”

“Well… I’m still looking for a fourth golfer in my foursome and if you donate and play I promise to play with you by the rules I use with my husband.”

“…”

“Kisses for birdies and player’s choice for eagles.”

She then took a long sip from her drink, gave me a wink, and turned back to her minder.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2022 8:32 PM

That hussy!

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2022 10:38 PM

I know she's Don Hastings' wife, but Leslie Denniston played two of the most boring, lifeless characters ever - Maeve on GL and Carolyn "She's Dead, Let It Be" Crawford on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2022 2:44 AM

Louise Sorel on Locher Room. THAT is a conversation I'd love to see.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2022 8:47 PM

Damn, that was a good scene with her jumping from the bridge. Very well done. Superb.

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2022 2:25 AM

Miss Locher needs to dig deep for some new material. I'm sick if the same old people, Newman, Mikey, Maeve, Cady, Grant. Mix it up a little, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2022 2:25 AM

Reva was a bigger than life character. But I'd like to get back to Grant's bigger than life pendulousness.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2022 2:26 AM

The last thread went into the 400s before being locked. I think the title was too clever so it didn’t get noticed.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2022 2:27 AM

Which P&G actress has the most dui’s? My guess is the trollop.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2022 4:50 AM

The bridge jumping scene was truly done excellently. I loved the added real ice/snow.

by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2022 4:52 AM

I think of that scene any time I hear Streisand's "Somewhere."

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2022 5:29 AM

Did Eileen McLarty have an issue with the liquor poos? They had to pull up the carpet at one point at JC Studios. Took a week out of the taping schedule.

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2022 3:05 PM

by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2022 3:07 PM

An article from 1977. (The anniversaries were always so confusing. GL had its 50th anniversary in 1987 and then its 40th in 1992!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2022 3:11 PM

The article at R17 lists some "alumni" and Larry Gates is on the list - he must have had a second role on GL before HB Lewis, just as Jordan Clarke played another character before he played Billy.

I don't see it on IMDB, though. (Though he WAS on an episode of "Hazel.")

by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2022 3:40 PM

Is Lynda Hirsch still alive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2022 4:05 PM

THEY CANCELLED LUCY TO EXPAND GL!!!

They'd had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2022 4:06 PM

THE Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2022 5:06 PM

anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2022 9:01 PM

So, today is the 45th anniversary of GL expanding to an hour.

First hour-long show was Nov.4, 1977.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2022 9:14 PM

That is not a flattering picture of poor, smitten Evie up above with Ben (probably my first soap crush).

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2022 9:16 PM

I remember that actor arriving as the new Jamie on AW and I was just at that age where...."Oh, who's that? And why am I getting all excited at seeing him in cutoffs?"

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2022 9:24 PM

If I had known my beloved Ben was on Another World, I would have switched right away. I lived for the whole Ben-Amanda-Lucille storyline!

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2022 9:26 PM

Prior to playing Jamie on AW in 1983-85, Stephen Yates was on AW as Chris Pierson in 1975. Chris Pierson was Marianne Randolph's boyfriend who got her pregnant and she opted to have an abortion.

Pat Randolph helped her daughter have the abortion and kept it secret from her husband John. When John found out about the abortion and that Pat had kept it a secret, it ended their marriage. John ended up married to the cray cray Olive Gordon.

Incidentally, Pat Randolph had the first abortion ever on soaps -- an back alley illegal abortion in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2022 9:35 PM

Evie Stapleton was homely. No way would Ben fall for her.

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2022 9:37 PM

Jamie's cutoffs.

And the rare occasion where Ada wore a dress!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote] Evie Stapleton was homely. No way would Ben fall for her.

That was the point! Poor, sweet, devoted Evie...so different from her slutty sister!

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2022 9:40 PM

[quote]Poor, sweet, devoted Evie...

And blind. Don't forget blind. Poor little blind Evie.

by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2022 1:38 AM

Searching for other things today as I did for the GL articles.....

I had no idea Don Hastings and Kathryn Hays had done a series of concerts together! Very interesting.

(This article was huge so I only clipped a bit)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 5, 2022 2:15 AM

I love only FAT things. FAT soap names like THE Guiding Light. FAT soap characters like Fat Ed, Fat Bert, and Fat Maureen. FAT soap twitter queens. FAT posters at SON.

I hate Pam Long, Reva, and that they took THE out of THE Guiding Light. Nothing in my life has been the same!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 33November 5, 2022 2:29 AM

Sorry, I suddenly grew tired and nodded off when I glanced at this photo. I'm up now. What did I miss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2022 3:01 AM

Boreen Bauer - most boring character, ever.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2022 3:32 AM

Parker was an extremely low-energy actress. JFP and her focus group were right on the money with that one. No loss there.

by Anonymousreply 36November 5, 2022 3:38 AM

oh lord, not this nonsense again

by Anonymousreply 37November 5, 2022 4:29 AM

Can we talk about Barbara Rucker here? As Ginny Hampton Marshall Connor, she was one of my favorite things about Texas. Just always gave off a glowing, naturally warm and maternal vibe. She and Philip Clark as Ryan were hugely popular relative to the show's awful ratings. Why didn't Gail and Pam bring her to GL?

by Anonymousreply 38November 5, 2022 4:57 AM

Surely Barbara could have played a member of the Lewis family.

by Anonymousreply 39November 5, 2022 5:05 AM

So, who did you think shot Jake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 5, 2022 5:13 AM

Pam didn't really write much for Barbara on Texas. She was pretty much sidelined as a talk-to character for the rest of the series run after Ryan was killed off. Pam positioned Paige, Brett, Ruby, and Rena as the female leads.

by Anonymousreply 41November 5, 2022 5:13 AM

TEXAS!

Starring Not You, Bitch

by Anonymousreply 42November 5, 2022 5:16 AM

As a gayling, I attended a softball game in NJ, Guiding Light vs. Texas. I met both JWS and Randy Hamilton, which was my dream come true, because I had major crushes on both of them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 5, 2022 5:24 AM

Yum!

*lifts caftan*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2022 5:26 AM

Many a big bat was swung that day!

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2022 5:31 AM

Many a hole was twitching!

by Anonymousreply 46November 5, 2022 5:33 AM

The littered beach is kind of a turnoff, but not that much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2022 5:35 AM

The Jonathan/Reva scenes were gold. So broken and so much anger and amazing acting. The 4:20 mark = Reva sarcastically raises her arms to hug Johnathan. He deserved the Emmy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 5, 2022 5:37 AM

Are Randy Hamilton and JWS homosexualists?

by Anonymousreply 49November 5, 2022 11:53 AM

JWS most definitely yes. Randy is straight.

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2022 3:36 PM

I wonder if JWS, Chris Bernau and Bill Roerick ever rubbed one out together? That’d be a hot 3some!!

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2022 1:44 AM

Bill Roerick was not gay.

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote]R8 Damn, that was a good scene with her jumping from the bridge. Very well done. Superb.

Did she get her ring back??

(I’m assuming she lived)

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2022 4:33 AM

Bill Roerick was the gayest gay that ever gay'd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2022 5:26 AM

Oh, Bill Roerick, another low energy GL actor. I think a better and more charismatic actor, say Jerry Douglas, would've made the character pop, rather than blend in with the furniture for what seemed like 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2022 5:57 AM

Shocked about Bill Roerick! I always thought he was doing Geri Court in his dressing room after she broke up with David O’Brien.

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2022 7:44 AM

Jill Phelps desperately tried to give some pizzazz to GL. The audience was content with boring and fat characters like FatMaureen, FatHenry, and FatRick. The show was also being strangled by DEMANDING actresses like Beverlee McKinsey. She was lazy and never wanted to work. Always wanted a vacation and a few hours at the studio per week when she did work.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2022 7:58 PM

People who post "low energy" bullshit are gonna get pushed out of a fucking plane!

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2022 1:02 AM

YES Annie!

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2022 1:43 AM

Put her in a car driven by that drunken tramp Colleen, R58, and BOTH our problems are solved.

by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2022 1:52 AM

P&G soaps had all the low-energy actors. These anemic shows desperately needed an Andrea Evans or a Susan Lucci or a Tony Geary to infuse some life into them. JFP firing the mopey Ellen Parker and freeing up her salary to hire the exciting Justin Deas was a stroke of genius. ATWT was smart to hire the high-energy Hubbard, but that was couteracted by dull actors like Jennifer Ashe, Lisa Brown, Allyson Rice Taylor etc.

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2022 3:47 AM

The world changed forever 45 years ago when THE GUIDING LIGHT (TGL) expanded to an hour and dropped THE from the title. Henceforth known as Guiding Light. (GL). I’m STILL not over the trauma. It’s TGL.

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2022 4:00 AM

At its height, GL was well known for its fat title and its fat actors. When they trimmed the fat from the name, they never got rid of the fat actors, so it was jarring watching a show with a thin title full of fatso actors. I'm sure Charita dropped a ton, well with the leg and all that, but she still looked fat. With all the changes Gail and Pam brought to the show, you'd think they'd have hired thin actors. But no, we get fat Beth, fat Reva, fat Josh, fat nuMo, fat Hillary, fat Rick, fat HB, fat Bridget.

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2022 4:08 AM

R63 Ummm GL didn’t have fat actors dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2022 4:25 AM

R64 Did you ever watch GL? Bert was FAT before the leg thing. Mart Hulswit was FAT.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2022 4:55 AM

These last few posts are almost as much of an insult to the intelligence as watching an ABC soap, well, ever!

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2022 5:12 AM

Thanks for the reminder about the 45th anniversary of the expansion to an hour and shift to Guiding Light name, though. 1977-78 was quite a transitional year for daytime.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2022 5:13 AM

R64 That's the deeply mentally ill troll that posts here. Its weird OCD obsessions include calling everything and everyone fat. Block/FF it and enjoy the cool, refreshing flavor of its silence....AND a York Peppermint Patty!

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2022 5:43 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, forced them to drop THE from the title. He said it would goose the demos.

P&G found out that Americans prefer skinny soaps with more action and passion. Fat Bert and Fat Ed couldn’t keep up with the likes of Luke, Laura, Erica, Marlena, Bo, Hope, and others. It wasn’t even a competition.

JFP constantly had to fight against keeping and hiring homely actors like Fat Mo, HomelyBridget, Homely Samantha, etc. The low energy P&G audience needed to be shocked out of complacency.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2022 8:31 AM

That freakin’ 3rd eye on Bore-een Bauer scared everyone all year round. Not just on Halloween. JFP was heard saying that we need to kill off cyclops Bore-een Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2022 9:17 AM

Parker had the lazy eye. McKinsey had the lazy acting.

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2022 4:02 PM

Moving on

I would say Another World had much better sets and lighting the. GL or ATWT. Tops and the Cory Mansion were standouts; even the Frame farmhouse was nicer than the Snyder farm-thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2022 4:09 PM

Yeah, but AW didn’t have Laurel Falls.

by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2022 6:03 PM

[quote]Another World had much better sets and lighting the. GL or ATWT. Tops and the Cory Mansion were standouts

But Rachel's blue sofa. Surely they could have bought her a new one in the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2022 6:39 PM

Is Zimmer the best cryer in daytime history?

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2022 6:47 PM

Anna Banana in a Deven Green (Betty Bowers) parody. I didn’t know she did infomercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2022 7:40 PM

I was pretty checked out from GL in 2004...and waaaay over Reva...but that scene (right up to the fakey choking) was riveting. That kid could act.

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2022 10:07 PM

Kim is the best cryer period.

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2022 10:08 PM

The Frame farmhouse always seemed so warm and inviting.

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2022 1:03 AM

I remember the Anna informercial. I think that was after her husband/partner left and stole her money.

Pelphrey and Zimmer's first scenes were indeed totally fucking amazing. I got tired of the fuss over "Jammy" real quick but Pelphrey blew the dust off Kimmer for a while, at least.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2022 1:19 AM

Thanks so much for posting this.

This story was one that went in so many directions (“Laura”, RevaBend, hospital photographer, Cain…).

Later, Will tried to kill Josh on a (different?) bridge, Reva jumped in to rescue him… cut to Alan redecorating comatose Reva’s hospital room in a Victorian motif (after he’d listened to Reva’s “I ate from the trash” monologue… Later still, Reva and Sonni on the Venezuelan rope bridge.

I really miss GL circa 1977 - early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2022 2:29 AM

The Reva/Jonathan stuff was really good TV. There were many more than just that. Tom gave Kim a real acting partner like she hadn’t had since Cynthia Watros or Michele Forbes.

I’ve never seen the footage of Reva trying to kill herself. It is very well done. My jaw dropped. I can’t imagine what it was like watching it “live”.

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2022 3:58 AM

The nostalgia for these old granny shows is endearing. Really it is.

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2022 5:13 AM

If I recall correctly, after Holly kidnapped all the children in town and the parents came along to rescue them, Holly escaped and ran to a bridge where she threatened to jump off.

Reva found her on the bridge and said, "A bridge! Why does it always have to be a bridge?" Then she talked Holly down.

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2022 8:07 AM

Why didn’t Paul Rauch let Holly become a lezzy?

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2022 9:03 AM

R81 The "trash" monologue is almost never mentioned but it remains my favorite Reva moment.

(And the one that's impossible to find on YouTube...in English, anyway.)

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2022 7:19 PM

I wish they didn’t make Baron Von Halkein such a wimp in his brief appearance. They should have cast a piece of Eurotrash who’d fallen on hard times to play the role like Helmut Berger. Who would no doubt have licked his lips at Philip’s pendulous dong.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2022 11:42 PM

anyway,,,,

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2022 11:54 PM

Poor Bev. Those 12 days a year she worked must've been terribly trying. And she was always the trooper, never complaining about her heavy work schedule. What a martyr.

by Anonymousreply 89November 9, 2022 4:54 AM

Oh, her? Did that low born gutter slut land in the water? What a pity.

by Anonymousreply 90November 9, 2022 5:04 AM

The roles of Ed and Maureen Bauer are now being played, respectively, by Dennis Cole and Shannon Tweed. Oh how I would've killed to hear that voiceover announcement. Those two high-energy actors would've infused such vitality and life into the show, rather than those dreary low-energy people who were playing them. Oh to think what might have been. Alas.

by Anonymousreply 91November 9, 2022 5:10 AM

The very first Mrs. Phillip Spaulding was Mindy Lews, married in a shotgun wedding in March 1984.

The second Mrs. Phillip Spauding was India von Halkien, who blackmailed Phillip into marriage in Nov. 1984.

by Anonymousreply 92November 9, 2022 5:13 AM

Did Mary Kay Adams and Marsha Clark bump pussies?

by Anonymousreply 93November 9, 2022 5:23 AM

^That would be so HOT! We’d all welcome any hot pics of them bumping pussies! Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 94November 9, 2022 8:33 AM

I don't acknowledge the existence of the likes of Melinda Sue Lewissssss, R92.

by Anonymousreply 95November 9, 2022 3:57 PM

DL fave Geri Court always looked like she wanted to devour Kathleen Cullen's Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 96November 9, 2022 4:03 PM

Shhhh

by Anonymousreply 97November 9, 2022 4:04 PM

Who inherited Papa Bauer's autographed edition of "Mein Kampf" upon his death? Bill? Bert? Meta? Trudy?

by Anonymousreply 98November 9, 2022 4:28 PM

Shhhh

by Anonymousreply 99November 9, 2022 4:58 PM

Whatever the fuck THAT means.

by Anonymousreply 100November 9, 2022 5:45 PM

Ada, there’s a dish rag and a sweet rolls tray over there in the corner with your name on them. Amscray.

by Anonymousreply 101November 9, 2022 8:48 PM

Mary Kay Adams is a goddesss who can do no wrong in my book. India (GL) and Neal (ATWT) were so entirely different and yet both so very deserving of our empathy as an audience. She was exactly what a soap needs: a character you can root for. It's too bad either show couldn't get her to stick around. She is probably the most under-rated soap actor.

by Anonymousreply 102November 9, 2022 10:14 PM

Mary Kay always came across the screen as a bulldyke. She wanted Beth’s pussy more than Phillip’s pendulous dick.

by Anonymousreply 103November 9, 2022 10:52 PM

Pheeel-eep just let me lick Beth’s snatch. Pheeleep!

by Anonymousreply 104November 9, 2022 10:53 PM

R102 She was just too moose-y.

by Anonymousreply 105November 10, 2022 12:03 AM

JFP was smart to listen to the focus group and axe Ellen/Mo. The actress and character were a pill. Wisest move she ever made in her EP career.

by Anonymousreply 106November 10, 2022 12:20 AM

So which Texas actors did Pam/Gail bring over from Texas? McKinsey, Lisby Larson. Jim Rebhorn, Alexandra Neal, Michael Woods, Harley Kozak, Jay Hammer, Jerry Lanning, and nearly Carla Borelli. Who else?

by Anonymousreply 107November 10, 2022 12:42 AM

Who was Carla Borelli going to play?

I always liked her, she needed a meaty bitch role to play on a successful show.

by Anonymousreply 108November 10, 2022 1:54 AM

GL always had too many villains and not enough villainesses. Alexandra was not a villainess.

by Anonymousreply 109November 10, 2022 2:11 AM

R102 - I couldn’t agree more. Mary Kay Adams was delicious and so fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 110November 10, 2022 2:48 AM

That stupid cunt Donna from SON thinks that Carla Borelli was going to be Reva. WRONG!!!! Pam Long did not Carla as Reva. Stupid god damned cunt Donna.

by Anonymousreply 111November 10, 2022 3:29 AM

Mary Kay and Beverlee in a scene together were glorious.

by Anonymousreply 112November 10, 2022 4:46 AM

Did Mary Kay Evans eat Bev’s snatch after Berkeley died? Well did she???

by Anonymousreply 113November 10, 2022 5:28 AM

Yes, Pam wanted Carla Borelli as Reva, but Carla turned them down, because she felt the role was too much like Rena on Texas. She and Maeve look too similar, and would've lacked the stark contrast Maeve had with KZ's looks.

by Anonymousreply 114November 10, 2022 6:41 AM

I fondly recall the scene where Philip offered to donate his penis to transplant as Bert's new leg.

by Anonymousreply 115November 10, 2022 7:46 AM

Carla Borelli was never offered the role of Reva. Stop it with that shit!

by Anonymousreply 116November 10, 2022 10:38 AM

A little P&G soap gossip: Nick Nicholson told friends that Dennis Parker used to give Joel Crothers blowjobs. Nick would know.

by Anonymousreply 117November 10, 2022 11:18 AM

[quote] Mary Kay and Beverlee in a scene together were glorious.

As were Mary Kay and Liz Hubbard. And when Lucinda finds out that Neal was her sister, her "She could have told me!" was heart-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 118November 10, 2022 11:44 AM

R6, Carolyn was created to be killed off.

But I think Maeve was written as a bit reserved to serve as a contrast. Sure, Maeve made Vanessa look like a party girl but Reva felt insecure around Maeve because she was everything Reva wasn't -- refined, educated, and sophisticated.

Fletcher helped ground Claire; Maeve helped ground Fletcher. I wouldn't have killed her off that way; maybe just have her and Fletcher break up but they'd given us the payoff wedding a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 119November 10, 2022 4:06 PM

I clapped when Maeve died.

Which if I'm not mistaken, was the lead in to Pam Long's first week back in '87.

by Anonymousreply 120November 11, 2022 1:18 AM

R120 In a spectacular helicopter crash!

by Anonymousreply 121November 11, 2022 2:17 AM

R121 That's right!

by Anonymousreply 122November 11, 2022 2:37 AM

You soap queens are a peculiar lot. I get that you became so emotionally invested in these characters and their stories, in order to give your sad, pathetic lives some meaning, and you latched onto these characters as your surrogate friends and families after your own friends and families rejected you for being "different". I understand why you get defensive when posters make fun of these shows, as these characters are real to you. But for fuck sake, lighten up. At the end of the day, it was all fiction...and bad fiction at that.

by Anonymousreply 123November 11, 2022 2:50 AM

by Anonymousreply 124November 11, 2022 3:41 AM

Anyone who watches/watched soaps for anything other than shirtless hunks is touched in the head.

by Anonymousreply 125November 11, 2022 4:20 AM

by Anonymousreply 126November 11, 2022 5:02 AM

R120, no. Pam came back in 1987. Maeve died September ish 1988.

In Maeve's last year, she and Fletcher broke up because Maeve ratted out Meredith saying her criticism of Rick (which led to him going before a review board) was tainted b/c of her helping her own mother with assisted suicide (I think); she did something anti-Meredith that caused Fletcher to walk out.

They slowly found their way back to one another and by the time the Spaulding gala rolled around in 1988, Fletcher figured out something big was coming down; they worked the gala and were on the scene when Alan re-signed (Phillip forced his hand).

In July, Maeve and Fletcher got married at the Bauer barbeque; Johnny and Chelsea sang and we met Julia Stoddard (Meg Mundy from the Doctors and Ordinary People). Phillip wasn't at the wedding; he was still town pariah for taking down Alan.

He ran into Meredith at a bar and took her home and banged her, conceiving the baby that died in the spring of 1989.

Reva got her camera out and took family pix of Maeve, Fletcher and Ben; she got in a copter and went off to do a story. The copter crashed. She died. I thought the show made a mistake by not at some point bringing Kyle and Julia on with Ben. create a new family.

The last time Maeve was mentioned was in 1995 when Reva, back from the dead, showed up at the Country Club for a masked ball. She wasn't getting any attention at first; she asked Fletcher for a dance 'in honor of Kyle and Maeve'.

Someone, Megan maybe, had done their homework with that line. In late 85 to late 86, Reva/Kyle/Maeve/Fletcher were a big deal on the show.

Again, Maeve didn't bother me as much as she did others. Some saw dull and boring; I saw reserved and sophisticated.

I can't find this show down when Maeve was back at work in Dec. 1985 at the journal and Reva shows up for a powwow; it was TENSE.

Instead here's Part 1 of Maeve and Fletch getting married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 11, 2022 5:42 AM

Just curious, what was the first soap you got to watch from the very beginning. It was Texas for me.

by Anonymousreply 128November 11, 2022 5:44 AM

I think the Beth back from the dead storyline (BFTD) by Pam Long was one of the best BFTD storylines ever. Pitch perfect. The tension building up to it was enormous. The fake outs. The reveal (so unexpected). Pam at her finest as she was writing for one of her favorite characters.

by Anonymousreply 129November 11, 2022 6:09 AM

Pam and Gail Kobe killed TGL. Period.

by Anonymousreply 130November 11, 2022 9:37 AM

My life was never the same after they dropped THE from the title 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 131November 11, 2022 12:33 PM

Ugh Lisa Brown, another low energy actor. Betty Rea sure could pick 'em. The legendary Betty Rea.

by Anonymousreply 132November 11, 2022 12:37 PM

Pam even got rid of Johnny Bauer's fat mother Lainie when she came back in 1987. She really burned the fat from GL, although there was still fat Rick, fat Mo, fat Reva, fat H.B., fay Billy, fat Sally, and fat fruit Henry.

by Anonymousreply 133November 11, 2022 2:48 PM

Come to Llanview or Salem or Santa Barbara or Corinth or Collinsport. That's where all the excitement is happening. Not in those dreary little P&G towns where all the characters were dull and interchangeable and everyone talked the same.

by Anonymousreply 134November 11, 2022 7:44 PM

R129 I don't remember the reveal with Beth being alive. I was only sporadically watching for a bit there due to classes.

I do remember Beth revealing herself to Lillian on Christmas Eve. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 135November 11, 2022 8:41 PM

Kevin Conroy has died. He's best known for playing the voice of Batman in Batman: The Animated Series and other DC animated shows.

But he got his start on AW playing Jerry Grove in 1980. Conroy was one of three actors to play the part, but is the one most remembered for the part. Jerry Grove is the one who raped Clarice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 11, 2022 8:44 PM

When is Miss Locher's tribute show for Kevin?

by Anonymousreply 137November 11, 2022 11:48 PM

Nein.

by Anonymousreply 138November 11, 2022 11:59 PM

R127 - Thanks for that thoughtful post. Like you, I didn’t mind Maeve at all.

I remember Maeve’s and Fletcher’s July 4th/Bauer Barbecue wedding. Jay Hammer sweated profusely, as if it was outdoors in July.

India mentioned Maeve at one point, upon meeting Ben. She said something about Maeve having done well, or would be proud of him… not sure what year that would’ve been.

by Anonymousreply 139November 12, 2022 1:20 AM

Beth's back from the dead was the best. Even the 1986 regime laid the ground work by saying Alan (Chris Bernau) had the Chicago coroner fake the autopsy so that Phillip (then John Bolger) would move on.

And he did.

By 1987, he started dating Chelsea. That went south when he took over Spaulding. Then, he took up with Blake (Liz Dennehy), married her (Sherry Stringfield); Mindy took a trip to heaven in 1989 and she saw Kurt, Miss Sally, and her momma.

When she came back to life, Phillip asked her if she'd seen Beth and Mindy thought for a bit and said no, she hadn't. Phillip smiled. He knew Beth was alive.

I think of Beth the way I do Mindy; two distinct actresses played the role -- it was almost as if they were different characters; Tesreau and Simms for Mindy; Evans and Chamberlin for Beth.

For whatever reason (they were young, I suppose), Grant and Judi may not have gotten along but he and Chamberlin did very well.

by Anonymousreply 140November 12, 2022 1:23 AM

How dare you forget about us, R140!

by Anonymousreply 141November 12, 2022 1:59 AM

Beth’s snatch was there for the taking!

by Anonymousreply 142November 12, 2022 4:18 AM

MARY r140!

by Anonymousreply 143November 12, 2022 5:07 AM

by Anonymousreply 144November 12, 2022 5:12 AM

Megan McTavish was the best writer this show ever had. She GOT the show.

by Anonymousreply 145November 12, 2022 6:04 AM

THIS! NEVER! GETS! OLD! YOU! FUCKING! CUNTS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 12, 2022 1:35 PM

The fight at SON among PervSudz, Vicky Fuxton, and Vee, who is in the biz, is one for the books! Check it out on the DAYS thread!!

by Anonymousreply 147November 12, 2022 2:08 PM

I wasn’t a big fan, R145.

by Anonymousreply 148November 12, 2022 2:17 PM

Our demented troll is off her meds. I have it blocked and post counts are jumping 4 and 5 numbers ahead at a time.

by Anonymousreply 149November 12, 2022 2:27 PM

[quote] I think of Beth the way I do Mindy; two distinct actresses played the role -- it was almost as if they were different characters; Tesreau and Simms for Mindy; Evans and Chamberlin for Beth.

Mostly agree, though Chamberlain carried some of the old Beth at least at first. Simms was very different but, I thought, a very natural mature version of Mindy.

by Anonymousreply 150November 12, 2022 2:29 PM

You people have an emotionally unhealthy connection to fictional characters from laughable, stupid little soaps that have been off the air for more than 10, 20 years, and I'M the demented one?!?! I guess in the warped world of DL, that makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 151November 12, 2022 3:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 152November 12, 2022 3:24 PM

Did kookoo get banned from SON?

by Anonymousreply 153November 12, 2022 3:31 PM

GL was a soap for extreme fatties. Fat Bert and her fat dismembered leg, fat Ed, fat Hope, fat Rick, fat Ross, fat Hillary, fat Maureen, fat Steve Jackson, fat Henry, fat Reva, fat Billy, fat Josh, fat HB, fat Sally, fat Beth, fat Buzz, fat Frank. Fat fat fat fat fat. When they reduced the name from TGL to GL, the weight of the name no longer synced with the weight of the characters, and I could no longer bear to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 154November 12, 2022 3:41 PM

by Anonymousreply 155November 12, 2022 3:41 PM

In the biz Vee is banning Pervertsuds from SON.

by Anonymousreply 156November 12, 2022 4:08 PM

Don’t forget Fat Katie, Fat Leslie Ann, Fat Vanessa, Fat Bea, Fat Mrs. Renfield, fat Helena, Fat Lainie Bauer

by Anonymousreply 157November 12, 2022 4:22 PM

Who's the SON queen that is still devastated by P&G dropping "The" from "The Guiding Light"?

by Anonymousreply 158November 12, 2022 4:23 PM

Maybe it is true the camera adds pounds.

by Anonymousreply 159November 12, 2022 4:23 PM

Crabby old VetSoapFan still rambles on and on and on how they dropped THE from GL. He’s a miserable old koger.

by Anonymousreply 160November 12, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote] You soap queens are a peculiar lot.

Says the demented troll that has at least four different sock puppet accounts and is obsessed with other soap posters.

by Anonymousreply 161November 12, 2022 4:40 PM

Cranky and bitter soapvetfan still holds a grudge against Gail Kobe and Pam Long! They ruined his life forever when they got rid of FatEd!

by Anonymousreply 162November 12, 2022 4:50 PM

r161 is Vee, who is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 163November 12, 2022 4:51 PM

Actually it was Potter and Marland who got rid of fat Ed.

by Anonymousreply 164November 12, 2022 4:59 PM

JFP got rid of Fat Mo! Pam Long killed Fat Bert! I have been miserable since they dropped THE from the title!!

by Anonymousreply 165November 12, 2022 5:02 PM

Marland and Potter also got rid of Fat Barbara Norris and Fat Adam Thorpe.

by Anonymousreply 166November 12, 2022 5:19 PM

Who axed fat Dr. Steve Jackson and his inexplicably fat German accent? I'd like to say he disappeared, but how does someone so fat just vanish into thin air?

by Anonymousreply 167November 12, 2022 5:29 PM

Did they let the Fat GLers sit on Kookoo’s THE Another World park bench?

by Anonymousreply 168November 12, 2022 5:35 PM

Judi Evans was the Fat Beth.

by Anonymousreply 169November 12, 2022 5:45 PM

Mac Cory could outqueen Henry Chamberlain any day of the week as the the gayest straight character.

by Anonymousreply 170November 12, 2022 5:58 PM

Henry and HB were both FAT!

by Anonymousreply 171November 12, 2022 7:01 PM

Wow! The only poster I have blocked on DL is our resident demented soap troll. Have all four of his accounts blocked.

He seems to be on a roll right. My thread has the last TEN posts blocked. So, the last post I can see is R161. All the posts after that aren't visible.

by Anonymousreply 172November 12, 2022 11:11 PM

r172 is fun at parties. Is it you Vee, who is in the biz? Or are you PervSudz or Vicky Fuckton?

by Anonymousreply 173November 13, 2022 12:57 AM

The troll is just so boring. It's the same four alleged jokes, over and over and over again. Post after post, thread after thread.

by Anonymousreply 174November 13, 2022 1:02 AM

It's quite appropriate, r174, since soaps are a joke, and feature the same silly, stupid, boring shit over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 175November 13, 2022 1:05 AM

R172 I noticed the same and actually took the thread out of my thread watcher. I am just so beyond over the troll's BS. I know people must think I'm joking when I say "mentally ill" but no sane person makes those posts. Not in the incredibly obsessive, repetitive way they do.

by Anonymousreply 176November 13, 2022 1:06 AM

r176, to get so worked up over a troll interrupting your discussion of your stories says more about you than it does the troll.

by Anonymousreply 177November 13, 2022 1:37 AM

by Anonymousreply 178November 13, 2022 1:39 AM

Can we all just agree that Brent Lawrence was probably one of the hottest Drag Queens to ever hit ANY daytime soap opera?...Actor Frank Beaty worked hard on the hideous Marian storyline. That storyline was the death knell of Lucy Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 13, 2022 4:17 AM

Frank was cute.

by Anonymousreply 180November 13, 2022 4:44 AM

[quote] To get so worked up over a troll interrupting your discussion of your stories says more about you than it does the troll.

Oooh, this must be the Jean Randolph personality.

by Anonymousreply 181November 13, 2022 4:54 AM

Frank Beaty is still a hot fuck...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 13, 2022 5:19 AM

On ATWT, Lucinda's brother Royce had DID, didn't he? Was it as memorable as Viki and her numerous personalities (Marvelous East Coast town, but still ...), Carrie Todd or our personal favorite, Sharlene & Sharly?

by Anonymousreply 183November 13, 2022 5:25 AM

Royce's DID was a tiny part of the story and I don't remember it, to be honest. Perhaps one of our faithful posters recalls better than I.

That was also at a point where, if I recall correctly, Marland had just died and they were wrapping up some of his stories. My faint recollection is that the wrapup for Royce and Terry Lester was somewhat quick and expedited.

A shame, as Royce and Neal both were characters with a lot of promise and that promise was wasted. (And I never liked Sam that much....she was a pale imitation.)

by Anonymousreply 184November 13, 2022 2:41 PM

They should never have killed off Neal. Mary Kay Adams could have returned and Neal could have been a decent love interest for Hunt Block’s Craig.

by Anonymousreply 185November 13, 2022 5:23 PM

Why did the Royce story end so abruptly. I remember when Marland died Laurie Caso made a point of doing interviews saying that Marland had completed 2 years of story projections right before he died and they were going to work off them. Was it an issue with Terry Lester? Or was it aborted because it was another dark story on a show laden with them at the time?

by Anonymousreply 186November 13, 2022 5:30 PM

I think it was to do with Terry Lester.

by Anonymousreply 187November 13, 2022 6:50 PM

Terry Lester was having health issues in the 90s. He also visited the set of YR (where he played Jack). He was in an emotional state and Jerry Douglas (John) said some unflattering stories about what happened. Jerry Douglas was an asshole for running off at the mouth in an interview.. Terry Leslie was obviously struggling at the time.

by Anonymousreply 188November 14, 2022 1:08 AM

I never heard Terry revisited the Y&R set after he left; he trashed Lauralee and I can't see him wanting to run into either her or Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 189November 14, 2022 3:03 AM

Terry Lester and Ian Buchanan supposedly passed Black bed partners back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 190November 14, 2022 4:03 AM

R189 = It is 100% true. Jerry Douglas gave an interview to one of the soap magazines after Terry Lester died. He said the last time he saw Terry Lester was when he visited the YR set a few years before he died. He said Terry was very physically sick and then broke down and said (to Jerry) that he should never have left Young+Restless. I believe it happened. Like I said, Terry was struggling with his health (we all know) and I just thought it was so disgusting of Jerry D. to reveal. This visit was in the late 90s. It was not uncommon for castmates to return for visits. The LB "scandal" was years past and there was never bad blood between TL and Peter Bergman.. I never had respect for Jerry after he gave that interview.

by Anonymousreply 191November 14, 2022 4:09 AM

Terry was very unhappy.

I didn't see any of Jack's screentime be diminished after Cricket became a Jabot supermodel.

If ratings had suffered when Cricket was on, Lauralee would have been shoved to the backburner or off to B&B when it debuted as a fourth Logan sibling so fast her head would have spun. Bill was a businessman. A devoted family man but a businessman. He was good pals with Susan Hayes but when Joanna Manning wasn't clicking the right way, he didn't renew her contract. (That opened the door for her to return to DAYS where she belongs anyway.)

Terry not only quit Y&R, which had solid story but stuff dialogue to Santa Barbara that had zany story and great dialogue. He wasn't happy there either.

When you get a role on a soap and even if it's only halfway decent (and let's face it, Jack is a great character) then, you jump on board, you weather the rough patches, and you ride the gravy train all the way till the end.

I don't think Terry was a bad person but he made the wrong choices. Should Jerry have shared what he did? Maybe it provided a cautionary tale to some other soap guy who made smarter choices as a result.

by Anonymousreply 192November 16, 2022 3:35 AM

LA actors can be particularly superficial and vindictive. Jerry Douglas was yet another example of one.

by Anonymousreply 193November 16, 2022 4:15 AM

stuff = stiff

R193, that's putting it mildly. They can only see things how they affect them. Doug Davidson's a millionaire many times over from his work at Y&R and when fans tweet they've stopped watching the show b/c he's gone, he'll tweet something back like 'thank you.'

Not 'thank you but I still have many friends there; the show was good to me for many years and you never know when the phone will ring; please continue to support my friends."

No. He can't do that. Everything is 'they're horrible people.' If he really wants to act so badly, he can build a theater and do love letters with all his past leading ladies and let the legions of fans who love him come and see him perform.

Christian LeBlanc was taken off contract around the same time; he got busy with his life; he went to Kate Linder's fan events in Canada; surprise, surprise, the show ended up calling him back, gave him a special 30th-anniversary episode, and he's still working on the show.

Not Doug. He does nothing but bitch and complain. The more he does it, the less likely they are to have him back out of spite.

by Anonymousreply 194November 16, 2022 4:34 AM

To me, it felt like Jerry Douglas was betraying a confidential conversation. And also describing Terry Lesters physical appearance as being sick. Instead of giving a remembrance of a co-worker who had just passed, Jerry ran off at the mouth with gossip. Jerry Douglas married a woman 40 years YOUNGER than himself and had a bad toupee. He was hardly someone to judge.

by Anonymousreply 195November 16, 2022 4:34 AM

A lot of people in soaps pointed out the age difference, but Jerry and Kym stayed together and Jerry lived to see their son graduate from college.

I want to see the article that had the interview Jerry gave and I'd like to know who wrote it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 196November 16, 2022 4:40 AM

Jerry was in his 60s when his son was born. A miracle?. Jerry gave the interview to Soap Opera Weekly (which has since been cancelled since there are no longer soap operas). It was just a vile thing Jerry did.

by Anonymousreply 197November 16, 2022 5:06 AM

I'm 60 and I wouldn't do it even if I won't that huge 2 billion dollar lotto.

He got the best possible deal, living till his son was out of college.

Alec Baldwin is on his sixth kid this go-round and he's older than Jerry was when Hunter was born.

They'll all have each other but what if they don't get along; Alec will go to the youngest's high school graduation in a wheelchair probably.

Life is short.

by Anonymousreply 198November 16, 2022 6:28 AM

Getting back to Springfield, I do miss Guiding Light the most; I 'm young enough to recall the Dobson era and the deep characterizations; Doug Marland turned the show into a town I truly wanted to live in....a few WTF regimes after he left and then this crew from Texas -- Gail, Pam, and Richard Culliton come over -- and I'm like WHOA; I love this show!

Reilly DeMorest and Curley (sp?) had a solid run but Jill turned the show into Santa Light; Megan and Laibson brought some of the old time familiarity back and Reva's return was overdue....after that? Rare moments of enjoyment.

I miss Pam's GL and Doug's ATWT the most.

by Anonymousreply 199November 16, 2022 4:31 PM

I’m happy for the cast, crew and fans of Neighbours but isn’t Amazon an American based company? Can’t Jeff Bezos fucking buy P&G and put revivals of ATWT, GL and AW on Freevee?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 17, 2022 5:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 201November 19, 2022 2:02 AM

R200 = You could be onto something...I think other soaps could be making money on Youtube or some other platform. Bradley Bell (whose family created and owns Bold+Beautiful) is releasing 3 episodes a day of past seasons on YT. Thousands of views every episode. I am currently watching 1992---Brooke is pregnant (whose the daddy)..Sheila shows up and the Lauren Fenmore feud leaps from Genoa City to L.A...Ridge marries Taylor the first time....Sally Spectra and Stephanie both circle around Jack...It was a really good season..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 19, 2022 2:21 AM

I wonder why P&G is so tight-fisted with their soaps? Worse dreck gets a place on streaming platforms these days - why not make a few bucks with little or no effort.

by Anonymousreply 203November 19, 2022 3:26 PM

Because to P&G, the soaps were something to fill time between the commercials that sold their earth-killing products. And once they stopped making them, they truly gave no fucks as to who might want to see them again.

by Anonymousreply 204November 19, 2022 3:31 PM

You would think ABC/Disney would want to make money off AMC, OLTL, GH, LOVING, RH, etc etc by putting it on streaming....What is the point of having thousands of hours of content and not making money off of it?

by Anonymousreply 205November 20, 2022 1:24 AM

Maybe Disney has something planned for down the line.

But it's not just as simple as just posting the episodes on the web or on a streaming service.

They's have to digitize all the episodes from the 80s and 90s and early 2000s, plus have to get clearance for all the songs used in the episodes, or substitute out something else for those songs.

They'd also have to pay residuals to the actors, writers and crew involved in each episode.

by Anonymousreply 206November 20, 2022 1:37 AM

[quote] plus have to get clearance for all the songs used in the episodes, or substitute out something else for those songs.

This is the biggest issue, because most of the shows were produced so cheaply that they didn't dub in music - if you heard something, that song was playing in the background as filming happened. So there's no way to separate the music from the video.

This is, I believe, what stopped repeats of both RH and The Doctors from playing any farther than they did.

by Anonymousreply 207November 20, 2022 1:55 AM

R206 - I doubt Disney has any future plans. Not to be pissy but I just I don't believe the old excuses of music rights or RE-paying the actors. Residuals would be minimal at best and could be worked out with SAG-AFTRA. The Bold/Beautiful is re-airing original full seasons on Youtube and even using Young/Restless flashbacks while crediting the footage in the closing credits (LINK). BB is proving it can be done and you don't see ANY actors or composers complaining about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208November 20, 2022 1:57 AM

Haven't seen the Kathryn Hays tribute from a few days ago yet. I think I have to be by myself when I see it, because I know I will cry.

by Anonymousreply 209November 20, 2022 7:59 PM

I would have loved to have moved into Bob and Kim's garage apartment after Mac and Nancy moved to the senior living.

And if I'd moved in when Hank Elliot was their boarder? well, so be it.

by Anonymousreply 210November 20, 2022 8:51 PM

Let's play baby oil wrestling, R210.

Who do you want to be, Andy Dixon or Holden Snyder?

by Anonymousreply 211November 20, 2022 8:56 PM

In Rockford, jumping off a bridge is the most productive thing one can do improve their station in life.

by Anonymousreply 212November 20, 2022 8:59 PM

The Kathryn Hays tribute was very sweet. Shame that Scott DeFreitas wasn’t there, though. I wish Larry Bryggman would do a one on one interview with Alan but he’d probably bitch and moan too much about Alan’s precious ATWT. Alan mentioned the controversial storyline of Dr. John raping his wife but Bryggman claimed to have little memory of it. Alan should have specified that the victim was Dee, not Kim.

by Anonymousreply 213November 20, 2022 10:25 PM

Shush.

by Anonymousreply 214November 20, 2022 10:26 PM

[quote]I just I don't believe the old excuses of music rights

Music rights issues have kept many a show from having DVD collections until the music was removed. The music industry really cracked down on music use after Napster and all of that.

JFP said it herself, they never thought about original music being played and no one ever came after them. But when they did, it caused a major problem for many shows.

Most soaps just recorded everything on videotape. There weren't separate tracks for music until later. So you just can't remove the music and replace it, like you could in filmed productions.

As someone who loves old soaps, I agree with the production companies that old soaps are for a very niche market. And it may not always be profitable for companies to use resources to transfer those big videotapes to digital and figure out the residual mess for such little return.

by Anonymousreply 215November 20, 2022 10:47 PM

R215 = I get what you are saying.....Found this link....Maybe you are right...I just don't see the value of composers getting zilch for old soap music. Surely they would want a few bucks over getting zilch. The article link talks about giant musicians like Pink Floyd. That isn't the same realm of soap composers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216November 21, 2022 12:31 AM

I wasn't talking about soap composers. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you recall, in the 80s and 90s soaps used popular music quite a bit. Background and source music composed for the show, belongs to the show and isn't a problem. It's the top 40 stuff that they all used back in the day. All those top 40 love themes for couples, the top 40 music played in the background for various scenes. That is the problem and most it wasn't recorded on a separate track which makes it easy to remove.

If I'm not mistaken, there may be ways around it for broadcast airing. But for replays in other media, that is the problem. Even YouTube removes old clips with popular music for copyright violations if someone complains.

by Anonymousreply 217November 21, 2022 12:50 AM

Beth and Lujack on horse on beach while Almost Paradise plays.

Starts at 3:15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218November 21, 2022 1:28 AM

Rights made a lot of 80s and 90s shows notoriously expensive and/or challenging to release.

by Anonymousreply 219November 21, 2022 5:13 AM

I believe actor contracts didn’t address residuals until very late in the game. I believe no one had the foresight to consider re-airings. Much like reruns of many early nighttime shows (Gilligan’s Island, Leave it to Beaver, Brady Bunch) didn’t pay actors after the first (in some cases second) airings.

by Anonymousreply 220November 21, 2022 10:05 PM

When Edge of Night moved to ABC in late 1975, the network wanted to have an additional airing in late night, say at 12 midnight or so.

The Edge actors never could come to terms with ABC on how much they should be paid for that second airing, so ABC dropped the idea.

by Anonymousreply 221November 21, 2022 10:30 PM

Alina Adams, who wrote a lot of the tie in books for P&G and was in their PR department for years, is doing a written serial for SoapHub based on Irna Phillips' life.

The first "chapter" is linked below, I think there's four or five posted now. It's interesting, so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222November 22, 2022 2:42 PM

R222 I think Alina Adams was ahead of her time - a few years ago she wrote an “interactive” book on soaps. The book had links to YouTube videos embedded into the text. The book was a time capsule recapping important moments in the genre’s history. Last time I looked at it most of the links were dead.

by Anonymousreply 223November 22, 2022 3:05 PM

Alina also wrote the Another World continuation that was online for some time.

She either had or executed a lot of great ideas but I don't think P&G ever caught on to what could have been done in that area.

by Anonymousreply 224November 22, 2022 3:29 PM

Whatever happened with the Twitter account written by someone posing as Mindy Lewis which continued the Guiding Light adventures after the show's cancellation?

Apparently, P&G hired someone to write that daily series of tweets. It was officially sanctioned by P&G, just like the Another World Today continuation that came out at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 225November 22, 2022 5:20 PM

In my early internet days, I remember someone posing as Emily Stewart had a webpage in which we could read all the Oakdale news that was fit to print.

by Anonymousreply 226November 22, 2022 5:59 PM

^^^ Lucinda’s City Times was not pleased.

by Anonymousreply 227November 22, 2022 6:02 PM

R225 I vaguely remember that. I think that was when P&G was still trying to convince us of the folly that somehow GL and ATWT would continue elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 228November 22, 2022 6:12 PM

Christopher Cross has tweeted he never got a nickel for all those times GH played 'Think of Laura' when Genie came back in late 1983.

They must have played it every day for over a month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229November 23, 2022 6:05 PM

Christopher Cross got a lot of record sales from GH playing "Think of Laura" every day for a month.

I know I went out and bought the album. Plenty of other people did too.

GH should have paid the royalties on the song, but him complaining that GH ripped him off when the show sent his album sales skyrocketing is disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 230November 23, 2022 7:10 PM

Cross made a big splash with the first album and "Sailing" but "Think of Laura" actually revived sales for an album that had slumped in its original release.

So R230 is correct - it's disingenuous for him to claim financial loss/hardship, when those copies wouldn't have sold without a soap storyline practically handselling it for months.

by Anonymousreply 231November 23, 2022 8:32 PM

[quote] Christopher Cross has tweeted he never got a nickel for all those times GH played 'Think of Laura' when Genie came back in late 1983.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 232November 23, 2022 10:49 PM

Oh, look. Exactly three seconds of searching that apparently Miss Fat Whore at R232 was unable to do yielded the very results R232 would have gotten if she had searched on her own.

You just know this has to be the "Where Are Your Sources?" cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233November 24, 2022 12:03 AM

are we M'd?

(I'm guessing yes, because on one front it's blissfully quiet)

by Anonymousreply 234November 26, 2022 3:54 AM

Thanksgiving dinner at Reva Bend is STILL giving me heartburn.

by Anonymousreply 235November 28, 2022 6:58 PM

I had a wonderful time on the eavesdropping porch. A good meal brings out the best gossip!

Donna Love certainly is a vixen!

India von Halkien never ceases to amaze me.

And Mike Kasnoff certainly does know how to be flexible and sexually fluid.

by Anonymousreply 236November 28, 2022 7:28 PM

If I recall correctly, fluid is something Mr. Kasnoff has to spare!

by Anonymousreply 237November 28, 2022 7:33 PM

If memory serves, Kim wouldn't let her son play a gay character on "World Turns." Evan Hansis got the job.

by Anonymousreply 238November 28, 2022 7:37 PM

R238 Your memory sucks.

That was a rumor, but Jake had signed up for something he thought was recurring, and then they decided to have the Luke comes out story, which was more than Jake could handle at the time (he was learning and still in HS himself) and so they recast.

Jake Weary has since played a gay character (his current character is gay) so....no.

And it's Miss VAN Hansis, not Evan.

by Anonymousreply 239November 28, 2022 7:42 PM

Was looking at Digest online this AM and according to them, Kim Zimmer and Vincent Irizarry started on GL on the same day - today - in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 240November 28, 2022 7:48 PM

...and against GH, which had the culmination of the "Think of Laura" scenes that same day, with Luke seeing Laura alive.

by Anonymousreply 241November 28, 2022 7:57 PM

Vince was just a day player for his first three episodes. It was only after viewers noticed and reacted to him that they put him on contract.

by Anonymousreply 242November 28, 2022 8:38 PM

R239 Luke's real name is Evan Vanfossen Hansis .

by Anonymousreply 243November 28, 2022 8:48 PM

Is Van still in the acting field?

by Anonymousreply 244November 28, 2022 8:51 PM

Liz, I've heard that about Vince in quite a few interviews, but in others he said he was tested with Beverlee.

So I don't know if both are true, or if they decided Lujack was also Brandon later on.

by Anonymousreply 245November 28, 2022 9:43 PM

Beverlee didn't join the show until Feb. 1984.

Vince started in Nov. 1983. I doubt he ever had a screen test since he started as a day player.

They may have tested Vince with Beverlee to see if there was any chemistry before committing to making them mother and son, but both would have already been on contract by that point.

Lujack was revealed to be Alexandra's son in May 1984.

by Anonymousreply 246November 28, 2022 9:51 PM

Thank you R246.

That clears up the timeline for me.

by Anonymousreply 247November 28, 2022 10:06 PM

R244, ...still?

and R239, it's 'HAM' Hansis.

by Anonymousreply 248November 28, 2022 10:57 PM

Van Hansis seems to be one of "those" gays. The "LOOK AT ME" gays. Is he still married to this clown?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 29, 2022 4:15 AM

I do like that Van and hubby don't shave their chest hair. They also didn't cover themselves in trashy tattoos. Nice!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250November 29, 2022 4:26 AM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 251November 29, 2022 5:07 AM

I mean....MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252November 29, 2022 5:08 AM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253November 29, 2022 3:19 PM

LIZ!

Reading that low born gutter tramp Sharly Frame for FILTH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254November 29, 2022 8:18 PM

Aw....her reaction was sweet (she's surprised by former costars midway through).

Never was a big fan of her Michelle but she's OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255November 30, 2022 10:09 PM

R254 wow; thanks for posting this.

Aunt Liz on FIRE!

Using history to tell current story.

It's too bad they didn't keep the Matthews clan going.

by Anonymousreply 256December 1, 2022 2:27 AM

R256 Never saw her like that before.

A bitch was FURIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 257December 1, 2022 2:31 AM

That was probably the most work that lIrene Dailey had done on AW since the 70s.

There were legacy characters they could have brought back if someone was there to remind them of the show’s history-Liz had a grandson by her son Bill who would have been Jamie’s age; Sally’s son (Alice’s grandson) Kevin; and the Randolph kids presumably had children offscreen.

by Anonymousreply 258December 1, 2022 3:22 AM

OMG, Liz Hubbard is turning 89 this month! Don Hastings will be 89 in the spring. Eileen Fulton turned 89 in September.

Larry Bryggman is a spring chicken at a youthful 83.

by Anonymousreply 259December 3, 2022 4:48 AM

Kathleen Cullen sits down with Miss Locher on 12/9.

by Anonymousreply 260December 3, 2022 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!