Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I paid $9.00 for a Whopper from Burger King today.

Not a Combo Meal, mind you.

Just the sandwich.

So I'm officially done with eating out.

I'm fucking tired of getting ripped off.

These big companies can shove their price gouging right up their assholes.

by Anonymousreply 183November 12, 2022 2:21 PM

You just should have shaken down some tricker treaters and gotten some for free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2022 5:27 AM

OP. We're your arteries and we're sending you a big thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2022 5:32 AM

Did you have it your way?

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2022 5:54 AM

It's not only Burger King though, R2.

I used to buy a Pho for between $11-$12 for a bowl.

Now these price gougers are charging $16-$17.

For a motherfucking bowl of noodle soup.

I've boycotted most Vietnamese restaurants because of this.

They seem to be the most egregious price gougers of all small business owned restaurants.

The last time I ate at a Vietnamese restaurant, I ordered a Pho and side order of Spring Rolls to go.

They charged me $35. About $17 each.

That was the LAST time I went to a Vietnamese restaurant, and swore I would never patronize another one.

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2022 5:57 AM

How did you not know what it cost until it was too late? I'm not scolding; I'm genuinely curious.

I agree that's far too fucking much.

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2022 5:58 AM

Gotta eat at home. Thankfully I am a great cook.

And very eclectic. Tonight: Onion omelet. Delicious. Fresh green beans from framer's market. I add a little sugar (I am bad) and a small side dish of pasta with EVOO.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2022 6:01 AM

[quote]They seem to be the most egregious price gougers of all small business owned restaurants.

OP has never ordered from an Indian place before.

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2022 6:17 AM

Aww, you poor kid. I would normally say, "Wow, they saw you coming a mile away!" But no, I understand. It's like a bait and switch. You crave an item that you're used to paying a few dollars for, but when you get it, you are expected to cough up much more money. It's like an ambush. They're using your hunger and addictions against you for more money.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2022 6:19 AM

What kind of whopper was this? A double with bacon?

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2022 6:27 AM

1 Large shake, 1 large fries, and a plain Big Mac - $14.73

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2022 6:29 AM

Make your own Whopper copy at home. It's not that complicated. Burger, bun, lettuce, tomato ketchup, pickles, onion, etc. But you're really paying for the convenience of it I guess.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2022 6:40 AM

I usually get a Double Whopper with cheese for $7 and change. A Wendy's Double cheeseburger is less than $7. So is a Double Quarter Pounder. The only burger place I've noticed that raised prices is Five Guys.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2022 6:42 AM

I had a delicious whole rotisserie chicken from Walmart for under $7 while I watched the Saints shut out the Raiders on Sunday, along with Sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli, and it was awesome and satisfying. Debone the remainder and have chicken sandwiches for lunch on Monday. :-)

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2022 6:42 AM

Regular Whopper, R9.

No cheese.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2022 7:23 AM

Well the workers are getting paid what, $20 an hour now? For unskilled entry level work? Of course the cost of the product has gone up dramatically, because the cost to produce it has gone up.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2022 7:53 AM

[Quote]So I'm officially done with eating out.

Burger King?

Eating out?

What?

by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2022 7:54 AM

[quote] Burger King?

[quote] Eating out?

[quote] What?

Anything you don't cook yourself at home, is basically eating out.

The fact that this has to be explained to you, says you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2022 7:58 AM

[quote] Well the workers are getting paid what, $20 an hour now?

Besides supply chain issues, this is probably the second biggest reason for price increases.

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2022 3:57 PM

Every day there's at least a dozen posts on this stupid board about rotisserie chickens. I guess we're lucky that r13 didn't go into excruciating detail about how he made stock out of the bones.

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2022 4:02 PM

I bought 10 pounds of 90% lean chop meat at Costco for nearly $40. Pre pandemic it was going for about $18. Chicken that would normally go for $12 to $14 is now $20. The only meat that seemed affordable was pork. Even eggs were ridiculously priced.

by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote] Even eggs were ridiculously priced.

I bought eggs last Friday, and they were $8.99 "on sale."

Not organic, not anything special. Just regular eggs.

by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2022 4:24 PM

$9 for a dozen plain white eggs?? Where the fuck do you live, Honolulu?

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2022 4:25 PM

Wasn't the price on the drive-thru menu?

by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2022 4:30 PM

OP you can buy a junior whopper for half the price

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2022 4:30 PM

Sam’s Club had two dozen eggs for $10.50, r22, and a limit on how many you could buy so I’m not surprised that r21 paid $8.99 in a supermarket.

Everything is just insanely priced to a point where I see Op posting about a $9 Whopper and I think it’s actually cheap these days.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote]Besides supply chain issues, this is probably the second biggest reason for price increases.

You're saying that supply chain issues are the number 1 reason for inflation? Nope. The number one reason for inflation is corporate profit taking, which accounts for 54 cents of every dollar of increased prices. They are raising prices because they can. And then the shit rolls down hill and everyone else has to raise their prices just to break even. We could stop inflation cold: pass a windfall profits tax telling major corporations that if they don't hold the line on prices, the government will by taking their windfall profits and giving them back to the people.

[quote]I bought 10 pounds of 90% lean chop meat at Costco for nearly $40. Pre pandemic it was going for about $18

This is thanks to Trump's FDA allowing Brazil's meatpacking monopoly into America and handing them control over the pricing of meat. Meanwhile, ranchers are committing suicide at a rate higher than any in the last 50 years because the meatpackers won't pay them a fair price for their stock, forcing them in to bankruptcy. It's a lose-lose proposition for Americans.

Thanks, Trump.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2022 4:33 PM

I paid almost $7 for a Filet o Fish and felt like a real chump.

Not doing that again.

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2022 4:33 PM

Increased labor costs + rising food costs = $9 Whopper. What do you really expect? Did you want the franchisee to absorb all of the additional costs to a point that it isn't even worth the effort to keep the doors open?

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2022 4:34 PM

Fuck the Vietcong!!

by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2022 4:34 PM

[quote] I bought eggs last Friday, and they were $8.99 "on sale."

What? Whole Foods non-organic plain old eggs are less than $4.00 dozen. This is D.C.

Why are grocer packers getting over $40,000 a year? That's ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2022 4:35 PM

R6, just say olive oil, idiot.

You sound like a fat frau.

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2022 4:36 PM

Whopper’s are so delicious.

by Anonymousreply 32October 31, 2022 4:39 PM

R11 is all “Just make your own central banking system, whatever that does!”

by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2022 4:40 PM

[quote]This is thanks to Trump's FDA allowing Brazil's meatpacking monopoly into America and handing them control over the pricing of meat. Meanwhile, ranchers are committing suicide at a rate higher than any in the last 50 years because the meatpackers won't pay them a fair price for their stock, forcing them in to bankruptcy. It's a lose-lose proposition for Americans.

That’s not what is driving meat prices. Meat prices are being driven by higher oil and grain prices, drought and disease.

by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2022 4:46 PM

Also, there's no such thing as a "Dollar Menu" any more.

Dollar cheeseburgers and dollar fries are no more.

Now, the "value" cheeseburger and "value" fries are $2.79 each at my McDonalds.

It's really depressing how expensive everything has become.

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2022 4:46 PM

I just purchased a carton of 18 eggs for $3. That's pretty typical for where I live,

by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2022 4:50 PM

McDonald's has started doing something different to their cheeseburgers. I used to love them, but now they tear me up. I guess it could also be the joys of aging, but I would prefer to just blame them instead of my age.

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2022 4:50 PM

You shouldn't eat fast food OP.

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2022 4:55 PM

Got a 3 piece box and large red beans and rice yesterday at Popeye's. $20 for 2 wings and a quarter breast.

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2022 4:55 PM

I'm fortunate I live in the Northeast in a metropolitan area. There's a lot of cheap and healthy options here from diners, cafes and restaurants that deliver and also grocery stores and farmers markets. If I'm feeling too lazy to cook I can order from a Halal place and get meat, rice, falafel, vegetables and naan that can hold me over. A lot of people live in food deserts and can't get easy access to cheap and healthy food. Fast food joints and convenience stores are more ubiquitous now than actual grocery store chains. I really think people need to wake up to this class warfare.

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2022 4:57 PM

I just checked the price of a plain Whopper in northern Illinois and it's only $5.79 + tax which makes it $6.25.

This is hardly $9.00.

by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2022 4:57 PM

Wasn't this like 1 dollar or something recently?

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2022 5:00 PM

They rip you off with the cheese. Our Burger King was doing 2 Whoppers for $5, but if you got cheese, the price went up considerably.

by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2022 5:03 PM

Royale with cheese.

by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2022 5:04 PM

[quote] I just checked the price of a plain Whopper in northern Illinois and it's only $5.79 + tax which makes it $6.25.

[quote] This is hardly $9.00.

You realize that prices are not the same at every single Burger King around the country, right?

by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2022 5:04 PM

[quote] You realize that prices are not the same at every single Burger King around the country, right?

Yep it's certainly regional. In the Northeast, McDonald's, Wendy's and BK are all expensive now. White Castle is much cheaper but not on your stomach. The only fast food place I can justify spending money at is Popeyes or Chipotle because their portions are filling.

by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2022 5:07 PM

Yes, but the OP is using sensationalism to make his point.

Much like the ReTHUGlicans do.

by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2022 5:07 PM

R45 is right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2022 5:08 PM

I also noticed that Thanksgiving turkeys are more expensive and not well stocked. By this point you’d have large freezer bins overflowing with Turkeys. Nope. Not this year.

And…in weird shortage news…seltzer! There’s a CO2 shortage.

And supposed there’s only a 25 day supply of diesel, which if true…it’s going to get very ugly.

by Anonymousreply 49October 31, 2022 5:09 PM

[quote] Yes, but the OP is using sensationalism to make his point.

[quote] Much like the ReTHUGlicans do.

Why are you making this political?

Denying that prices are not rising at astronomical rates, does NO ONE any favors.

Prices are going up, whether you want to admit or not.

I find it completely bizarre that you are trying to make this a Democrat vs. Republican thing.

It's a RICH versus POOR thing, you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 50October 31, 2022 5:10 PM

R 49 I remember hearing about a CO2 shortage as well which was impacting microbrews and the beer supply. When there's no more beer, the people will revolt!

by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2022 5:11 PM

"I'm fortunate I live in the Northeast in a metropolitan area."

Ooh! Smell r40; she's quite the woman of the world!

by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2022 5:12 PM

[quote] I also noticed that Thanksgiving turkeys are more expensive and not well stocked.

[quote] And…in weird shortage news…seltzer! There’s a CO2 shortage.

And a helium shortage, which are needed to keep the magnets in MRI machines cool.

Doctors are worried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2022 5:13 PM

R49, regarding the turkey shortage:

[quote] Turkeys Will Be More Expensive Than Ever This Thanksgiving, and Harder to Get

Thanksgiving 2022 is shaping up to be a tough one for turkey. The star of the holiday meal will be both hard to find and more expensive than ever.

Turkey supplies have been tight for a long time. Producers began to cut back on raising the birds back in 2019 after turkey prices crashed. Then the pandemic hit, further curtailing production.

Inflation has also pushed up the price of whole turkeys. Farmers and processors are paying a lot more for feed, fuel and labor, which can be scarce. They face supply shortages and drought.

All of it means that home cooks this year could be paying more than twice as much for a turkey as they did last year, some in the poultry industry predict.

And then there’s the avian flu. A particularly persistent and contagious strain carried by migrating birds has killed at least 3.6 percent of the nation’s turkeys, or about 7.3 million birds, so far this year, according to figures from the Department of Agriculture and Watt Global Media, which monitors the poultry business.

Most years, avian flu cases peak with spring migration and then drop off with the summer’s heat. But the current strain, known as highly pathogenic avian influenza, stuck around over the summer, when some holiday flocks were being raised. It has appeared in 42 states and continues to spread as Thanksgiving approaches. More outbreaks were confirmed this week, this time in turkey flocks in Utah and Pennsylvania.

“I’ve never seen anything as crazy as the turkey market right now,” said Greg Gunthorp, who raises ducks, turkeys and pigs on 275 acres in northeast Indiana. For the past 14 years, he has sold his pasture-raised turkeys fresh. This year, faced with concerns about disease and problems finding workers to process the birds in the fall, he butchered turkeys over the summer and froze them. Instead of his usual 7,000 fresh birds, he produced about 4,000 frozen ones.

“I tell people if they are not going to buy one of our turkeys, if they see one in the store they better pick it up and put it in the freezer,” he said.

Every corner of the turkey market is stretched thin. Restaurants can’t get orders filled. Deli owners are scrambling to find sliced turkey breast. Shoppers are paying as much as 112 percent more for fresh, skinless turkey breasts than they were last year. The fast-food chain Arby’s is warning customers that turkey sandwiches are not available for online ordering, and has posted “temporarily out of stock” on menu boards at some stores, leading to much grumbling on social media.

Most producers, retailers and market analysts don’t think meat cases will be empty. Contracts for most frozen turkeys were signed in the first quarter, some of them before the nation’s first case of avian influenza in a commercial flock was detected at an Indiana turkey farm on Feb. 8. And much of the nation’s supply of frozen birds has been ready to go for months.

But still, shoppers shouldn’t expect the options they’ve enjoyed in the past.

“They’ll find a turkey of some kind. It just might not be that nice 10-pounder,” said Russ Whitman, senior vice president at Urner Barry, the price reporting agency that specializes in perishable proteins. “It’s essentially a ‘you’re going to take what you get and feel good about it’ situation.”

He and others predict that prices will continue to rise in the coming weeks. On Wednesday, the wholesale price for a hen, the bird most people eat for Thanksgiving, was $1.85 a pound, about 40 cents higher than a year ago. At the beginning of 2019, it was 90 cents, Mr. Whitman said.

Exactly what that means for shoppers is unclear. This week, the average retail price for a frozen turkey is $1.99 a pound, according to the agriculture department’s weekly turkey report. That is up 73 percent from 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2022 5:17 PM

I'm in southern California and our burger king is selling their ghost pepper whopper ( sandwich only) is $8.99.

Regular whopper is 6.39.

by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2022 5:20 PM

Completely agree, r50.

[quote]R 49 I remember hearing about a CO2 shortage as well which was impacting microbrews and the beer supply. When there's no more beer, the people will revolt!

Costco was out of Vintage Seltzer and BJs had their shitty store brand for nearly $11 a case…that’s nearly double what it was a month ago.

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2022 5:21 PM

Ohhhhhhh…..thank you, r54. I don’t know how I missed that story. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2022 5:22 PM

I do not live in a food desert, you fuk!!!

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote] McDonald's customers aren't pushing back on higher prices, analyst says

McDonald's (MCD) customers in the U.S. are still lovin' the fast food chain, even with higher prices.

In the third quarter, U.S. sales at the Golden Arches increased by 6.1% as more customers made their way back inside restaurants while delivery sales saw a record-high quarter and drive-through sales returned to pre-COVID levels. This positive momentum came despite menu prices increasing by 10% year-over-year.

"McDonald's in the U.S. had positive traffic — not many restaurants today have positive traffic in the U.S.," Peter Saleh, managing director and restaurant analyst at BTIG, told Yahoo Finance Live (video above). "Consumers are not necessarily pushing back on the higher prices, which are up about 10% year-over-year, despite all the inflation that we're seeing."

In September alone, McDonald's saw foot traffic increase by 6.2% year-over-year, according to Placer.ai's Bracha Arnold. That surpassed foot traffic across the wider quick service restaurant (QSR) category, which only saw an uptick of 0.8% during the same time period.

On an earnings call with analysts Thursday, McDonald's executives emphasized that the company was still able to "push through pricing" despite challenges in the current macroeconomic environment, proving the "strength of the brand proposition" compared to its competitors.

CEO Chris Kempczinski also noted that the restaurant industry continues to benefit from higher prices for food at home.

In September, grocery prices increased by 13% while the price of food away from home went up 8.5%, per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

With a recession potentially underway, Saleh, who has Buy rating and $280 price target on McDonald's stock, noted that consumers will likely look for value when it comes to food purchases.

"Bottom line is consumers still have to eat, so you're either eating at the grocery store or you're eating at restaurants," Saleh said. "Grocery store pricing is up more so than restaurant pricing. At this point, restaurants are actually providing a little bit more value than they have historically."

However, should key economic factors deteriorate, it may not be all golden for the food chain, Saleh warned.

"If we go into a recession, where we start to lose jobs and unemployment goes up, that's when I think you'll see consumers start to push back," Saleh said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 31, 2022 5:35 PM

Americans are addicted to fast food.

McDonald's could charge anything they want, and people would still pay the price.

It's insane.

Add in the Happy Meals for kids, and McDonald's will always have a customer base.

by Anonymousreply 60October 31, 2022 5:36 PM

R55, of course it’s more expensive. They have to hunt down the ghosts & harvest the peppers.

by Anonymousreply 61October 31, 2022 5:44 PM

Obvious troll thread trying to get you worked up over inflation (price gouging.) it is getting close to the midterms after all.

by Anonymousreply 62October 31, 2022 5:49 PM

Food prices have gone up by a lot here in western Europe as well. I could swear that my grocery shopping has gone up by about 30%.

by Anonymousreply 63October 31, 2022 6:12 PM

Buy nothing from anyone that isn’t priced fairly. And when things are on massive, loss-leader sale, buy only that in bulk.

I can get out 2 items, sometimes 3 at any fast food place for $5. Skip the fries or drink and you’re order is costing them money. It’s the best way to fuck them back.

BOGOs only at supermarkets. Vacuum seal and freeze. Eventually you’ll only spend $5-10 a week of regular price items.

by Anonymousreply 64October 31, 2022 7:01 PM

$9.00 for a Whopper, and yet the owners of these franchises will all bitch and moan how awful it is to pay the help $10.00/hour.

More money for the employees means less money for the owner's coke/meth dealer and divorce attorney.

by Anonymousreply 65October 31, 2022 7:09 PM

R27 is never gonna eat a filet o fish again. Let’s us all ponder that.

by Anonymousreply 66October 31, 2022 7:24 PM

If you want a quick, tasty, filling lunch item - go to a quality LOCAL deli and order a sandwich or hero with real meat and real cheese if you want cheese.

by Anonymousreply 67October 31, 2022 7:38 PM

R67 go to the toilet

by Anonymousreply 68October 31, 2022 7:39 PM

It’s gotten to the point where it’s maybe $5 more for us to eat at a simple restaurant than get fast food. I remember before Covid there would always be coupons in the mail for $6 for 2 burgers and so on. Those days are over.

by Anonymousreply 69October 31, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote] If you want a quick, tasty, filling lunch item - go to a quality LOCAL deli and order a sandwich or hero with real meat and real cheese if you want cheese.

You must not be a fast food eater, because you're not quite understanding the problem.

People eat Whoppers because they taste like a Whopper.

People eat Big Macs because they taste like a Big Mac.

Anyone can make a burger at home. But it will never taste like the "real thing" at McDonalds or Burger KIng.

Unfortunately, they've raised prices so much that it's no longer feasible to eat at those fast food places.

by Anonymousreply 70October 31, 2022 8:28 PM

...and yet OP you 'paid' $9 knowing the price. Stupid you.

by Anonymousreply 71October 31, 2022 8:39 PM

IMO Whoppers are one of the easiest burgers to copy. But it's a pain to buy the ingredients and make it, I get that.

by Anonymousreply 72October 31, 2022 8:44 PM

Burger 🍔 King 👑 tastes like shit.

by Anonymousreply 73October 31, 2022 8:45 PM

I only eat at fast food places if I have a coupon.

by Anonymousreply 74October 31, 2022 8:47 PM

Some of y'all should check out Amazon Fresh - their cheapest eggs are $2.99. Of course, it goes up from there... you will pay if you want organic.

by Anonymousreply 75October 31, 2022 9:07 PM

Ooo we tiddly papa. I am a whopper.

by Anonymousreply 76October 31, 2022 9:21 PM

This Kween loves Burger King.

by Anonymousreply 77October 31, 2022 9:21 PM

Here’s more about the impending doom in the form of a diesel fuel shortage. Yahoo had the best summary but if it’s not your thing just google it and pick your source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 31, 2022 9:23 PM

I went to Wendy's today and had Biggie Bag for $5. Jr bacon cheeseburger, fries, chicken nuggets and drink.

by Anonymousreply 79October 31, 2022 9:25 PM

R79, I'm guessing that you either live in Mississippi, Alabama, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, or Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 80October 31, 2022 9:27 PM

Burger King is disgusting. You should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 81October 31, 2022 9:50 PM

R1 "tricker treaters" - ummm, what?

by Anonymousreply 82October 31, 2022 9:52 PM

R32 Whopper's what?

by Anonymousreply 83October 31, 2022 9:53 PM

In-N-Out burgers are still affordable.

But their burgers still don't taste like a Whopper.

by Anonymousreply 84October 31, 2022 9:56 PM

Dig up a potato and truck it to the processor using a a petroleum fired engine, process it and ship it on gas fueled engines to central distribution warehouses. On schedule, deliver the fries/mashed/hashed brown potatoes to the restaurant on a diesel engine truck. A three time gas surcharge by Big Oil on every French fry. We are living in an era where Big Oil knows it is going the way of the buggy whip and will fuck over the public to make as much profit as possible.

by Anonymousreply 85October 31, 2022 10:05 PM

[quote] How did you not know what it cost until it was too late? I'm not scolding; I'm genuinely curious.

You don’t know until the bill comes.

by Anonymousreply 86October 31, 2022 10:34 PM

The price is written LARGE everywhere, before you order, nimrod.

by Anonymousreply 87October 31, 2022 10:35 PM

Oven fries are easy and delicious R85. Besides, most fast food fries suck.

by Anonymousreply 88October 31, 2022 10:36 PM

R4- FUCKING ASIANS. Corona and now THIS! UGH!

by Anonymousreply 89October 31, 2022 10:37 PM

Links, please r15.

What an asshole's opinion. Of course the cost of paying non-slave wages actually adds about 15 cents to a Whopper, but sure Mary, keep telling yourself how deserving YOU are of a living wage, while nobody else is!

by Anonymousreply 90October 31, 2022 10:46 PM

Here you go, cunt @R90:

[quote]Certain fast food restaurants can achieve labor cost as low as 25 percent, while table service restaurants are more likely to see labor in the 30 percent to 40 percent range, depending on the menu and extensiveness of service. Food costs (including beverages) for the restaurant industry run typically from the 28 percent to 35 percent range, depending upon the style of restaurant and the mix of sales.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 31, 2022 10:59 PM

The whopper alone has always been crazy expensive. The full meal is only a few dollars more.

by Anonymousreply 92October 31, 2022 11:00 PM

10 years ago, I used to be able to get an enormous combination plate of sesame chicken, chicken fried rice, and an egg roll for that price.

by Anonymousreply 93October 31, 2022 11:03 PM

Wow, R89, what a racist asshole you are. I thought R4 was going to be some crazy offense but it was just about Pho.

by Anonymousreply 94October 31, 2022 11:05 PM

9 $ is normal price for a whopper here in Norway. There's a reason I rarely go out to eat.

by Anonymousreply 95October 31, 2022 11:53 PM

R80 Massachusetts

by Anonymousreply 96November 1, 2022 12:06 AM

A double whooper costs 120 kr, which is 12 dollars... for the one hamburger. Then again... we don't have minimum wage here in Norway. Everyone earns a living wage here, even fast food workers. Also, they have the same benefits as everyone else, even shift workers here (including part time workers) have the right to 5 weeks vacation off every year. I guess that's why it's so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 97November 1, 2022 12:14 AM

Ok, sorry... just checked. A DB Whooper is more like 11 us dollars. Still expensive though!

by Anonymousreply 98November 1, 2022 12:22 AM

[quote]Well the workers are getting paid what, $20 an hour now?

Where?

by Anonymousreply 99November 1, 2022 12:29 AM

[quote]Gotta eat at home. Thankfully I am a great cook.

And very eclectic. Tonight: Onion omelet. Delicious. Fresh green beans from framer's market. I add a little sugar (I am bad) and a small side dish of pasta with EVOO.

Really R6? A fucking onion omelet with green beans and pasta eclectic? Spare me you fat frau fool! Pasta is the most basic bitch thing on EARTH! GREG cooks better than thou!

by Anonymousreply 100November 1, 2022 12:31 AM

Here ya go R99

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 1, 2022 12:32 AM

Just checked the BK app. Where I live they’re running a BOGO Whopper deal for $6.59.

by Anonymousreply 102November 1, 2022 12:37 AM

Just checked the BK app. Where I live they’re running a BOGO Whopper deal for $6.59.

by Anonymousreply 103November 1, 2022 12:37 AM

R6 tbf asian markets have significantly inflated their prices

the basils that go with pho used 2 b $ 0.50 a bunch, os now 2-3 bucks

the dried pho noodle used 2 b like $1.50, is now $4

asian markets need 2 keep their greed under control

by Anonymousreply 104November 1, 2022 12:40 AM

This shit only started happening after the pandemic.

It gave businesses license to start ripping people off, using the excuse of "shortages."

Well, the "shortages" are long gone, but the price gouging continues.

This is what I would like Congress to deal with, because it's fucking out of control.

by Anonymousreply 105November 1, 2022 12:48 AM

A windfall profits tax would help on the gouging front. Especially for oil and gas--they're all posting last quarter profits of $20-50 billion. Fuck them, they need to pay their fair share.

by Anonymousreply 106November 1, 2022 1:20 AM

on the BK app, there are several deals for all types of whoppers, including the ghost pepper whopper w/ fries for $6.50

by Anonymousreply 107November 1, 2022 1:23 AM

Sonny Perdue @R34 wants us to believe it's not industry consolidation or rampant profiteering:

[quote]That’s not what is driving meat prices. Meat prices are being driven by higher oil and grain prices, drought and disease.

Yes, the Sonny Perdue who was chairman of Tyson Foods (one of the four meatpackers that control 85% of American meat) and then Trump's Secretary of Agriculture, wants us not believe our lying eyes.

[quote]JBS had a record net profit of $4.4 billion for the 12-month period ending March 31, 2022 — a 70% increase over the previous 12 months.

[quote]Tyson had a record $4.1 billion net profit for the year ending March 31, 2022 — a 91% increase over the previous 12 months.

[quote]Cargill is a privately-held company and isn’t required to publicly report its financial information. Bloomberg reported last August that confidential financial documents showed Cargill delivered a record $4.9 billion in net income for its fiscal year ending May 31, 2021 — up 60% over the previous 12 months.

[quote]Marfrig reported a net profit of $820.1 million in 2021, a 32% increase over 2020. "This was our largest profit ever," the Brazilian-based company said in its annual report. Net income dropped during the first quarter of 2022 due to the company’s $360 million stock purchase in BRF, a Brazilian poultry and pork processor. Even so, Marfrig’s chief financial officer said it was the company’s "best operational first quarter."

by Anonymousreply 108November 1, 2022 3:29 AM

As I'm sure that numerous other posters in this thread have already told you, and much more eloquently - you're fat OP.

by Anonymousreply 109November 1, 2022 3:32 AM

R108….you were being a bit of a conspiracy theorist at R26…and I didn’t say that companies aren’t profiteering off of circumstances…they very much are.

Love, Sonny Fucking Perdue

by Anonymousreply 110November 1, 2022 3:51 AM

I don’t want green peppers in a homemade whopper, player!!

by Anonymousreply 111November 1, 2022 4:27 AM

I fucked Sonny Perdue at Man Country.

He was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 112November 1, 2022 4:28 AM

If I specifically want a Whopper, I simply wait till Wednesday and get one for $3 on the BK app. McDonald's also has good deals on their app. There are also coupons, I never pay full price for fast food.

by Anonymousreply 113November 1, 2022 4:31 AM

That's so disgusting, R108.

But why is a Brazilian company making so much money off of American consumers?

by Anonymousreply 114November 1, 2022 5:52 AM

Why pay $9 for a Whopper when it’s so easy to make at home? All you need is a little meat, some fresh veggies, and sesame buns and you can have it your way anytime.

by Anonymousreply 115November 1, 2022 6:19 AM

It's not easier to make at home than it is to have it delivered to my door with fries and a drink.

I cook a lot and I'm a pretty good cook. I don't get weird about picking up takeout (though it's usually not fast food) or ordering in when I don't feel like cooking. It's just food.

by Anonymousreply 116November 1, 2022 6:29 AM

[Quote]OP you can buy a junior whopper for half the price.

You must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 117November 1, 2022 7:30 AM

I was at McDonalds last night. My friend wanted some trash food, so he ordered a quarter pounder w cheese and extra bacon, a filet o'fish, and a small order of fries. That's it, bo 'meals', no drinks, just the food and it cost approximately $17. That is the most ridiculous rip-off. Fuck these idiots. I rarely eat fast food because it's trash. Now, it's expensive trash. I'm pissed off. At least if you go to a halfway decent place like The Habit the food is decent. When McDonalds gets this expensive it's time to eat at home.

by Anonymousreply 118November 1, 2022 8:53 AM

Last time I went drive thru at Panda with a 2 for 1 bowl + 2 orders of wonton it was nearly 20.00. I know I got ripped off but i didn’t think about till I got home.

by Anonymousreply 119November 1, 2022 9:36 AM

If fast food workers are getting 20.00 an hour working in fast food then I am getting a job working in fast food at 20.00 an hour.

by Anonymousreply 120November 1, 2022 9:41 AM

I went to have lunch h with my Son at his work last week. I went and got 2 Whopper meals, just regular combo meals. It costed almost $24.00. I thought it was a mistake, but no it wasn't. I won't be doing that again. I agree, they can shove it up their ass.

by Anonymousreply 121November 1, 2022 11:28 AM

R120 more like $15 where I am. It’s the new minimum wage. No one is going to pay more than minimum wage. Before Covid it was around $13/hr. So what’s a $2 EXPECTED increase over the years. There’s no need to up the prices 100% or more. This is called PRICE GOUGING!

by Anonymousreply 122November 1, 2022 11:58 AM

[quote]But why is a Brazilian company making so much money off of American consumers?

Brazilian PE firm 3G Capital took over a lot of North American businesses and brought in ruthless managers who cut costs and quality and raised prices, destroying a lot of brands and businesses in their wake. Anheuser-Busch, Burger King, Popeyes, Tim Hortons, Kraft, Heinz. If you've experienced a shitty reduction in quality from one of these businesses - these guys are to blame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 1, 2022 12:02 PM

Why are people saying "just make a Whopper at home?!" I'm single so I'd have to buy 8 buns, a whole onion, a whole tomato, pickles, mayo, ketchup, and lettuce. Ok, I have mayo, pickles and ketchup, and even the onions. But why should I buy 8 buns to make one sandwich? Those buns will get freezer burn by the time I eat another one. That's just wasteful.

I've always said I wanted to start a shop that sold just enough for a single person. Just purchase 2 slices of bread because you want a sandwich. One hamburger or hot dog bun, one hamburger patty or one hot dog. I know it makes no sense but, as a single person, it would be a dream.

by Anonymousreply 124November 1, 2022 12:26 PM

The make it at home people come into every food thread. They don't understand, nor will they ever understand. A Whopper you make yourself does not taste like a Whopper at BK, no matter what you do. Fast food is about convenience and familiarity.

And R124 makes an excellent point.

by Anonymousreply 125November 1, 2022 12:48 PM

I never thought about looking for coupons on the BK app, R113.

That's a great idea.

I have the McDonald's app, and they have a lot of freebies and dollar deals.

by Anonymousreply 126November 1, 2022 1:55 PM

R54 Great, they can just cancel Thanksgiving. It's a stupid self-indulgent American holiday originally based on a delusional religious idea where people get together to eat and watch football with family members at least some of whom they really can't stand.

And don't get me started on the vulgarity of "Black Friday".

by Anonymousreply 127November 1, 2022 1:57 PM

[quote]A Whopper you make yourself does not taste like a Whopper at BK, no matter what you do.

Exactly. The one I make myself is about 100x higher-quality, better-tasting, and healthier.

by Anonymousreply 128November 1, 2022 2:13 PM

I paid $20 to post here!!! Ripoff!!!

by Anonymousreply 129November 1, 2022 2:28 PM

R128 you are a colossal BORE with your constant "Make it yourself!" and "Mine is better and healthier!"

Please shut the fuck up and get lost.

No one cares about you or your self-righteousness.

I'm heading to Burger King right now, just to spite you.

by Anonymousreply 130November 1, 2022 2:40 PM

[quote]The one I make myself is about 100x higher-quality, better-tasting, and healthier.

Gurl, they both go in the same way and come out the same way. You're not spinning gold over there.

by Anonymousreply 131November 1, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote]Exactly. The one I make myself is about 100x higher-quality, better-tasting, and healthier.

That’s not why you eat a Whopper.

by Anonymousreply 132November 1, 2022 3:10 PM

All them taxes Biden put on good food making it expensive. President Trump loved real food and burgers and KFC. He kept prices on good food cheap. No one who is cool eats spinach and wheat germ. Cool folk eat animals.

by Anonymousreply 133November 1, 2022 3:31 PM

[quote]Why are people saying "just make a Whopper at home?!" I'm single so I'd have to buy 8 buns, a whole onion, a whole tomato, pickles, mayo, ketchup, and lettuce. Ok, I have mayo, pickles and ketchup, and even the onions. But why should I buy 8 buns to make one sandwich? Those buns will get freezer burn by the time I eat another one. That's just wasteful.

So just eat it for 3 meals and use up all the buns, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 134November 1, 2022 4:42 PM

R127 That works for me. I can't stand Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 135November 1, 2022 5:50 PM

Price gouging. Everyone is thinking, "Hey, everyone expects things to be more expensive- so let's raise the price".

by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2022 6:00 PM

Corporate rape of consumers is real.

by Anonymousreply 137November 1, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote] Corporate rape of consumers is real.

We've always know this, and have come to expect it.

The problem now is that small businesses are starting to do it too, all in the name of "shortages due to Covid."

And they're still using that bullshit excuse!

More than that, it's coming from places we never expected, like grocery stores and fast food places. Literally every segment of the business world (both big and small businesses) have started to price gouge.

Some places lost so much money during the pandemic, that they decided to take it out on the consumer to "make up" for their losses.

And they haven't stopped TAKING!!!!!

That's the mentality out there right now, and government MUST put a stop to it!

by Anonymousreply 138November 1, 2022 6:36 PM

Why are people saying "just make a Whopper at home?!" I'm single so I'd have to buy 8 buns, a whole onion, a whole tomato, pickles, mayo, ketchup, and lettuce. Ok, I have mayo, pickles and ketchup, and even the onions. But why should I buy 8 buns to make one sandwich? Those buns will get freezer burn by the time I eat another one. That's just wasteful.

So just eat it for 3 meals and use up all the buns, dummy.

3 meals would use 3 buns, dummy. Do really expect someone to eat 8 home-made Whoppers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 1/2 days?

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2022 6:47 PM

I can commiserate. The local Fly King used to charge one handful of mud for a good sized helping of flies. Now, they're charging two handfuls of mud for just two small flies. AND they're no longer accepting coupons.

by Anonymousreply 140November 1, 2022 7:09 PM

Sometimes you just crave a Whopper and should go for it. I'm a Culver's fan.

When I want a really good burger, which isn't often, I buy the short ribs/ brisket/chuck grind from the butcher and fry a patty in a cast iron skillet. Season with salt. Your choice of bun and toppings. I do this very rarely but it doesn't disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 141November 1, 2022 7:21 PM

This is why corporate America hates remote work. You don't have to grab a Starbucks or pay for a hellish, tense commute. You don't have to buy a shitty salad or fast food for lunch. You're not spending money on clothes to impress other people. You're not getting fancy take-out at night because you want one good meal but you are too exhausted to cook it yourself and clean up afterwards.

You probably save 30 bucks or more daily, not to mention the time and energy.

If you can't or don't want to do this, I respect your life choices.

by Anonymousreply 142November 1, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote]But why is a Brazilian company making so much money off of American consumers?

Because OP "paid $9.00 for a Whopper from Burger King today." Not to be glib, but the Brazilians (that's both JBS and Marfrig, so 2 of the 4, including the overall largest JBS, that account for 80% of American meatpacking capacity) are raising prices and cutting what they pay ranchers mostly because they can. Yes, there are some external factors, but if they weren't taking advantage of the situation, inflation would be less than half what it is.

by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2022 2:12 AM

So basically, Brazil is turning the United States into a third world country.

Just like them.

Because it has worked out so well for Brazil.

Before you know it, we'll have favelas too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2022 2:15 AM

Those favelas are fun when it rains and there are floods. Like waterskiing without a boat.

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2022 8:36 PM

In the RI area, where all the BKs are owned by the same franchisee, Whoppers are between $9 - $11, depending on which location (zip code). Add on another $5 to make it a medium combo meal. And then cross your fingers when they give you the bag and hope they got it right (you have a 50/50 chance).

McDonald's is still a little cheaper, but not by much.

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2022 8:45 PM

If you don't cook at home or have food in your fridge, paying $9 is probably worth it. You could make burgers at home but you'd have to buy the condiments, cheese, etc. and have a decent grill pan for the burger. Some of you have pointed out that it wouldn't taste as good if you made it yourself Maybe it's worth it to have what you want when you want it with no prep or clean-up.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote] It costed almost $24.00.

Do I even have to say it?

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2022 9:26 PM

The good thing about food prices going up is soon it will be worthwhile to grow your own or buy small producer foods. Once you do you will realize what real food is and you will never go back. Burger king, really

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2022 9:40 PM

Do we really want to follow a BRAZILIAN business and political model?

I mean look at that fucking country.

It's a goddamned disaster, a THIRD WORLD country, with a DICTATOR as President.

And yet we're letting them take over our business model?

OMG.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2022 11:05 PM

I think I’d support a local restaurant over a franchise restaurant. The local restaurant can’t buy as much in bulk as a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 151November 2, 2022 11:10 PM

These people commenting that their homemade burgers are not as good as what they get at Burger King, Mc Donalds, and the like, have to be horrendous cooks. My homemade burgers are fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 152November 3, 2022 12:25 AM

You're exhausting in your self-righteousness, R152.

YOU. ARE. NO. BURGER. KING.

by Anonymousreply 153November 3, 2022 12:28 AM

r148, that would be a Dear FUCK!

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2022 12:56 AM

Because of this thread and you whores I had to get a Whopper today and it was delicious and only $6.99

by Anonymousreply 155November 3, 2022 1:14 AM

R55 Another 6.99, the evil empire thanks you. Now the heart surgeon will get the rest of your cheap ass. keep swallowing that slop.

by Anonymousreply 156November 3, 2022 1:42 AM

I'm looking forward to my Burger King lunch tomorrow, regardless of the price.

by Anonymousreply 157November 3, 2022 1:53 AM

Some of us don't have to worry about prices, especially anything under $100 or so.

by Anonymousreply 158November 3, 2022 1:54 AM

Well now, look at Miss Fancy Pants at R157!

by Anonymousreply 159November 3, 2022 1:55 AM

OK, so a couple of hours ago a friend of mine and I ordered 2 fries, 2 sodas, and 4 hot dogs- with tax and tip it was $50. This was on the near north side of Chicago at a cheap restaurant. Not doing that again.

by Anonymousreply 160November 3, 2022 2:18 AM

You see, R160?

Prices are out of control.

I don't understand what's driving it, but we (collectively) can't let these businesses get away with that kind of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 161November 3, 2022 2:23 AM

R160, was it at the restaurant or was this delivery?

by Anonymousreply 162November 3, 2022 2:24 AM

this "friend" ...lolz

by Anonymousreply 163November 3, 2022 2:35 AM

The restaurant business has not bounced back. They’re begging for people to work. So they’ve had up their wages. And of course its going to go straight to the consumer. You don’t expect those CEOs to take a cut. I am a pastry chef at a restaurant. I can’t believe the turnover we have now. It’s never been this way and all the years I’ve worked. You’re not gonna have some kid wash dishes for 17 bucks an hour when they can get 20 something to flip burgers.

by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2022 3:00 AM

OP I feel your pain. Inflation has also hit me. I can no longer afford my 2 liter a day Coca Cola habit. Fortunately I am still going strong with my Family Size M+Ms snacks. Food Stamps need to be raised.

by Anonymousreply 165November 3, 2022 3:08 AM

[R164] It's not just the restaurant business - it's everywhere. Turnover is everywhere. Everywhere a company is hiring Gen Z. There is no dedication, there is no commitment - they take a job for a few weeks then move on. So long as they make enough money to pay their cell phone bill for that month, that's all they're worried about (they still live at home, so no rent , utilities or gorocery bill for them).

by Anonymousreply 166November 3, 2022 2:28 PM

I can understand not wanting to work fast food, but a Gen Zer can make really good money as a waiter if he's willing to play the game. Who cares if you have to flirt a little with a troll or put on a show for a table of harpies? Sure, you get the cheapskates and the pricks, but the others make up for it.

by Anonymousreply 167November 3, 2022 2:36 PM

Corporate America doesn't know when to stop squeezing. Hamburger flippers feeling insufficient loyalty to their workplace are not the problem.

The Whopper gets its flavor from the char and crispiness of the burnt meat, the fat in the dressing and cheese, the sourness of the pickles and onions, the water content of the lettuce and tomatoes, the salt in almost everything, the carbs including sugar in the bun. It presses all the buttons and is not impossible to duplicate.

by Anonymousreply 168November 3, 2022 3:13 PM

R162 - Order at the counter and sit down to eat, just like McDonald’s et al.

by Anonymousreply 169November 3, 2022 3:32 PM

Yo, r130, if you ain’t left yet, pick me up a bacon double cheeseburger, bro.

by Anonymousreply 170November 3, 2022 5:28 PM

Have it your way.

But you're going to PAY!

by Anonymousreply 171November 3, 2022 10:55 PM

Honey, if you let the seams out of your caftans and don't buy new ones...

you can have your $9 Whopper

by Anonymousreply 172November 4, 2022 12:21 AM

I think some people need to reevaluate their food addictions...

No one is forcing you to go to Burger King.

by Anonymousreply 173November 4, 2022 10:06 AM

These are basically airport prices.

by Anonymousreply 174November 4, 2022 4:49 PM

OP should consider himself lucky. Every time I go to Burger King I have to take out a loan.

Those super value meals 1 through seven (inclusive) and #12, all with chocolate shakes really add up.

by Anonymousreply 175November 5, 2022 10:49 PM

That's how much I would pay for a Whoopi.

by Anonymousreply 176November 12, 2022 12:10 PM

You eat at Burger King? You deserve whatever you get, OP.

by Anonymousreply 177November 12, 2022 12:28 PM

Wow, OP! Would you believe that on the same day you paid $9 for a single Whopper, I paid just $9.13 for two - YES TWO - foot long steak n cheese Subway subs with all the vegetables I wanted?!!

by Anonymousreply 178November 12, 2022 1:11 PM

You know R178, there's a way that you could have said the exact same thing, without coming across as a TOTAL FUCKING CUNT.

I swear, people here think they're being witty or clever, but you have no clue that you are just acting like a fucking asshole.

by Anonymousreply 179November 12, 2022 1:15 PM

I paid $200.00 for a Whopper last night, but it wasn't from Burger King.

by Anonymousreply 180November 12, 2022 1:30 PM

Opened the Burger King app earlier this week and discovered it was “Whopper Wednesday.” Cost me three bucks for one.

by Anonymousreply 181November 12, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote] Opened the Burger King app earlier this week and discovered it was “Whopper Wednesday.” Cost me three bucks for one.

Oh honey, no. It'll cost you way more than that...

by Anonymousreply 182November 12, 2022 1:50 PM

R180. WHORE!!!

by Anonymousreply 183November 12, 2022 2:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!