Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gremlins is racist?

I just watched the 80s kids movie Gremlins and found out that African Americans think it is racist because the Gremlins like to eat fried chicken and like to dance to loud music and these are all African American caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2022 11:11 PM

Progressive white gay men have too much time on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2022 3:17 AM

FFS OP...get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2022 3:18 AM

Who told you that? Did you see someone complaining about the movie on TV, read it online or a magazine? A little corroborating evidence to the theory that you were presented with would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2022 3:20 AM

On the wiki page for the movie, under controversies, there's a section about how some critics felt it was demeaning to black people. Especially since the first person killed in the movie is a black teacher and how he was killed off for daring to enter the white world.

by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2022 3:23 AM

I think this was a joke in a movie or TV show but I can't remember which one.

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2022 3:25 AM

At the climax of 'Close Encounters' we learn that there are no aliens of color.

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2022 3:26 AM

To draw that analogy in itself is racist.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2022 3:37 AM

don't forget the Gremlins also freak out if you throw water on them

by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2022 3:38 AM

[quote]found out that African Americans

So you found out millions of black people think the Gremlins are racist or you read a thread or a tweet with a few people and decided that was the entire black community?

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2022 3:40 AM

I love all you weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2022 3:42 AM

Something that has become increasingly obvious in recent years is that those who screech the most about being oppressed are usually the most over indulged..

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2022 5:17 AM

Sorry R11 but you're full of crap for even thinking that.

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2022 5:45 AM

R9 I read a wiki page if that counts but also on the IMDB page for this movie, there are threads where lots of people are baffled as to why some black critics felt the Gremlins were racist to black people. Especially since there aren't many black people in the movie in the first place to draw comparisons to.

by Anonymousreply 13October 30, 2022 6:29 AM

Fuck policitcl correctness. It's killing comedy. If black people can't take a joke about their shit, and they certainly have it., as every group does, they can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 14October 30, 2022 6:44 AM

Zach Galligan is packing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 30, 2022 6:49 AM

[quote]R13: I read a wiki page if that counts but also on the IMDB page for this movie, there are threads where lots of people are baffled as to why some black critics felt the Gremlins were racist to black people.

Are there, R13? The IMDb message boards ended on Feb 20, 2017. They no longer exist, save as a facsimile. And the reason they were eliminated is because they had become overrun with trolls spreading harmful disinformation about films (the claims put forth by OP count as an example of such).

If such a claim is made on a 'wiki page,' you could link it. Right?

by Anonymousreply 16October 30, 2022 7:07 AM

[quote] On the wiki page for the movie, under controversies, there's a section about how some critics felt it was demeaning to black people.

SJW edit Wiki pages adding this shit from some nobody who writes a blog post 40 years later. People were not saying this.

by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2022 7:13 AM

That section was added back in July of this year and is already tagged as being irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 18October 30, 2022 7:15 AM

[quote]R17: SJW edit Wiki pages adding this shit from some nobody who writes a blog post 40 years later. People were not saying this.

"SJW"s didn't add this. This would be from an alt-righter pushing a bullshit parody of a 'social justice' concern, hoping to inculcate a stampede of support for the claim - or at least a storm of scorn for the supposed "liberal" who claimed it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 30, 2022 7:28 AM

Continued from R119:

That would be consistent with the way most of these brushfires get started, originating in right wing circles - like the myth that schoolchildren who identify as cats are demanding that litterboxes be made available to them in schools.

But in the case of the Wiki article for 'Gremlins' (1984), the suggestion that the behavior of the gremlins is a mockery of blacks is the reading of a single individual - one Patricia Turner, a folklorist (see link), and the criticism she levels is quite recent, from a book she wrote in 2002. It is not the widespread impression OP is trying to pretend that it is ("African Americans think").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 30, 2022 7:42 AM

The REAL question is-

“Exactly who is either making money or polishing their reputation- by blatantly and maliciously revising the past and inventing these racist claims out of whole cloth?”

Hint- it’s the wealthy that hired these SJWs-, trying to pull the spotlight off themselves so they can continue to rape and pillage society.

by Anonymousreply 21October 30, 2022 8:20 AM

I think the movie promotes ageism in the way it portrays poor Polly Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 22October 30, 2022 9:42 AM

This is not a new theory that's only just been invented by the "wealthy who support SJWs" or what have you.

Critics said AT THE TIME that the gremlin characters were similar to 1980s stereotypes of urban black street criminals. The movie very obviously borrowed the aesthetic of young black male hooligans that was popular in 1980s movies and TV shows. The first scholarly article written about it was “Ceramic Uncles & Celluloid Mammies" back in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 23October 30, 2022 9:51 AM

I have actually found that many Black people love this film, as well as The Childs Play movies.

by Anonymousreply 24October 30, 2022 10:38 AM

No. Just ableist.

by Anonymousreply 25October 30, 2022 11:18 AM

R16: “If such a claim is made on a 'wiki page,' you could link it. Right?”

Right. It’s on the Wiki page, and you can link it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 30, 2022 11:40 AM

It wasn’t so much the chx, loud music and aversion to water, for me it was the scene when Stripe and his gang of hood rats devour the watermelons which really bothered me. I mean I love a good natured trope but that was a little derivative.

by Anonymousreply 27October 30, 2022 12:43 PM

[quote]R26: Right. It’s on the Wiki page, and you can link it.

At R20, I chose instead to link the wiki page on the folklorist, Patricia Turner, who made the claim. It's here on the thread, and you can read it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 30, 2022 1:40 PM

I don’t care about that, r28. You made a bitchy comment about Wikipedia and you were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 29October 30, 2022 1:56 PM

[quote]R29: You made a bitchy comment about Wikipedia and you were wrong.

No, babe. At R16, I didn't make a comment about Wikipedia; I made a comment about 𝑦𝑜𝑢. And it was true; you could have linked what you were talking about.

by Anonymousreply 30October 30, 2022 6:35 PM

Lol at anyone defending that shit movie. It probably was subconsciously racially motivated.

by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2022 6:37 PM

I'm as white as one can be and I love fried chicken and dancing to loud music.

by Anonymousreply 32October 30, 2022 6:39 PM

I definitely remember reading an article about this a few years ago. The author said the caps the Gremlins wore were popular among black American at the time, and argued that Gizmo, the only good Mogwai, was coded as white because he had larger white patches of fur than the others.

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2022 8:52 PM

They wore caps?

by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2022 9:01 PM

I've seen this movie many times over the years and don't remember ever noticing how many white patches any of them had or the caps. Maybe the folks focusing on this are the racists since they appear to read so much into white patches.

by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2022 9:03 PM

You can see some of the gremlins wearing caps in this clip:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2022 12:29 AM

Didn't Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd wear those same caps?

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2022 4:56 PM

The Gremlins were satirizing 80s cultural tropes. The gremlin with leggings and torn tshirt, the lonely barfly sitting in the corner, the flasher, etc. Had nothing to do with race.

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2022 5:40 PM

So, they remake Gremilins- with none of these supposed Black or other racial tropes, or suggestive characterizations… and then people call them out for censorship, marginalization, or erasure anyways…

Being politically correct can be exhausting!

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2022 7:49 PM

No one needs to remake Gremlins.

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2022 11:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!