Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First Wives Club - Greatest cast ever

Diane Keaton, Goldie Hawn, Bette Midler, Maggie Smith, Eileen Heckhart, Marcia Gay Harden, Stockard Channing, Sarah Jessica Parker, Heather Locklear, Debra Monk, Victor Garber, Elizabeth Berkely, Timothy Olyphant, Lea DeLaria, Kate Burton, Bronson Pinchoet

All the women were fabulous in their roles. This was before Keaton got freshened up and had her teeth whitened for Something's Gotta Give. Bette was apparently a huge bitch to everyone of the show. That outfit she wore in the shopping scene - floor-length jean skirt with bulky blue knit sweater - was peak frau.

This was sort of a down period in SJP's and Maggie Smith's careers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241November 24, 2022 3:31 PM

Don't get even...get everything.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2022 2:40 AM

Forgetting someone?

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2022 3:58 AM

So many great lines (and line readings) in this movie.

"My, my the bulimia has certainly paid off."

"So what's going on in there? Just a lot of battered women dancing around?"

"She's butch."

"Lesbians are great now-a-days."

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2022 5:03 AM

Bronson went on the record and basically said Bette was a cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2022 5:21 AM

Why there wasn't a sequel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2022 5:40 AM

I've had many interactions wirh Bette over the years, and she is either just barely pleasant or a bitch. I have no idea what drives her bitterness, because she's had huge success. Maybe because she is and feels unattractive?

I've posted this before, but when she moved from Laguna Beach people were practically cheering along Coast Highway.

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2022 5:42 AM

Was she a cunt to Judith Light and Ryan Murphy on The Politician, I wonder? Would she dare?

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2022 5:50 AM

R5 do we know how much each got paid to begin with? Did they all make around the same?

by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2022 5:52 AM

Bette was nasty during her Vegas residency as well, and ticket sales were barely adequate for her salary except for weekends.

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2022 6:08 AM

Her pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2022 9:22 AM

Keaton has made nothing but shit for decades. Midler is an annoying cunt dwarf, uglier than sin. Goldie was expired already. This movie had the pedophile from 7th Heaven. The super ugly Dan Hedaya played the super ugly Midler cunt's ugly husband. Horse faced SJP was in this stinking it up w her gross cunt. So no, it didn't have a great cast. The ending number was vomit inducing/tacky.

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2022 9:40 AM

Masc dudes despise the guys who like that kind of shit, OP. It's very faggoty. It's also dated to like that kind of hag flicks. it labels you. You should try more masc stuff.,embrace you masculinity , OP. Don't hang back with the fags.

by Anonymousreply 12October 30, 2022 9:48 AM

Social climbers on the rise!

by Anonymousreply 13October 30, 2022 9:52 AM

R11 Mary, Mary, quite contrary!

by Anonymousreply 14October 30, 2022 10:00 AM

I adore Marcia Gay Harden as the smarmy therapist.

by Anonymousreply 15October 30, 2022 10:07 AM

It's a great cast. Soapdish has a great cast as well. So does The Birdcage. In the early-to-mid 1990s, Hollywood was doing something well every now and again (ensemble comedies with gay appeal).

R8/Xennial, Goldie says they all took a small back and front end (i.e. they got screwed) to get the movie made. So, it wasn't their regular salaries. They even got offered the same (as the article mentions) for the sequel, which is why it never happened (and probably would have been terrible anyway). At the time, though, the heyday of all three actors was behind them (though Keaton had a resurgence in the early 2000s), and were declining in "value" (according to Hollywood). Goldie was probably "worth" the most by name only (IMO). It was her first film in four years. Death Becomes Her and Housesitter did "okay" at the box-office (though underperformed). The former became a cult classic. Midler's last film was Hocus Pocus. That also became a cult classic, but underperformed even more at the time (For the Boys got her an Oscar nod but was an expensive bomb). Keaton had the most financial success at the time, but that was attributable greatly to Steve Martin. He was the main reason people saw the Father of the Bride remakes (verses, say, Housesitter, where Hawn had the more colourful role). Manhattan Murder Mystery was distinguished by Keaton stepping in at the last moment to replace Mia Farrow, but there wasn't anything more remarkable about its grosses at the time. Perhaps Keaton's agent could have used Father of the Bride to negotiate the highest salary (if that is the direction the production would have went). She also had the most consistent presence at the box-office up until that time. But, Hawn also had the best role and had to deliver the goods in order for this film to be truly successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 30, 2022 10:24 AM

Further bloated inspection no one asked for ...

Even though she got her first Oscar nod for The Rose in 1979, Midler's primary box-office prime was from 1986 - 1988 (Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Ruthless People, Outrageous Fortune, Big Business, Beaches). She probably was paid the most for Big Business (which underperformed) and Beaches. In those two films, she had shared credit with another female star, in addition to Outrageous Fortune. Stella was her five "solo" gig after this wave, and it flopped (it was an Oscar vehicle and it failed to get award attention, and barely made its budget back). She did a small film with Woody Allen that did okay (Scenes from a Mall). She did an even more expensive Oscar vehicle with James Caan, and that flopped big time. And then she did Hocus Pocus, which didn't catch on right away. She also had the least flashy role in the movie, even though she seemed like the "leader" character.

Goldie's prime was longer, more diverse. After she won her Oscar for Cactus Flower, she was a box-office presence throughout the 1970s in main and supporting roles, working with a lot of top and upcoming directors. Foul Play was huge in 1978, though. And then she followed that up in a big way with Private Benjamin, getting another Oscar nod for one of the biggest hits of the year (where her character drove the story). She didn't make a lot of films in the 1980s. A lot of them were dumb comedies, but she was still working with respected directors and most of them did okay at the box-office where she was the lead or co-lead. That continued into the early 1990s.

Annie Hall, of course, made Diane Keaton 1.0, and she already had the first two Godfathers on her CV. After that, she was making movies--amongst others--where her character drove the story up until the late 1980s. Baby Boom did okay, but The Good Mother didn't do well. I don't think Keaton made a film where she drove the story again until Something's Gotta Give (which resurrected her career and spawned a long line of bad Diane Keaton 2.0 movies). Like I mentioned earlier, along with Steve Martin, it was old colleagues Woody Allen And Francis Ford Coppola that kept her name on the marquees pre-First Wives Club.

I couldn't find anything on Bette Midler's salaries during the 1980s/1990s. Hawn and Meryl Streep were made $4M each for Death (Kevin Kline walked away because he wasn't paid that as well lol). Keaton was paid $1.5M for Godfather III (which was essentially a supporting, do-nothing role). I think Goldie Hawn would have had the upper hand in salary negotiations circa 1995 (if the studio had been willing to pay them what they were worth and still make the movie), but I don't think there would have been major differences in the salaries. They shared the screen equally (running-time wise, I imagine).

Apparently, Keaton's Scott Rudin connection got her cast first, then Midler was cast, and Jessica Lange was originally intended for the third role, but it was rewritten and Hawn replaced her.

by Anonymousreply 17October 30, 2022 11:05 AM

They should remake this with Viola, Halle Berry, and Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 18October 30, 2022 12:18 PM

Jessica Lange in the Goldie role would've been ... bad. She would've gone all earthy, Blanche DuBois sultriness.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2022 2:01 AM

R19 she’s also not funny. Goldie was easily the best part of the movie (I’m also guessing, she was paid the most).

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2022 2:03 AM

Viewing it from 2022 what sticks out is how mean the movie (and zero diversity). The wives are really nasty to each other during their big confronation and also to SJP's character. If they would've remade the film, they would've skipepd over that blowup.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2022 2:06 AM

R18 the BET has done black version of the movie as a TV series. It's awful.

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2022 2:07 AM

Didn't Sally Field(s) turn down this movie? She made Eye for an Eye instead.

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2022 2:14 AM

Was Meryl considered for any of these roles? The actresses are perfect fits for each character.

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2022 2:15 AM

I had guests.

Who??? Gins and Roses???

by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2022 2:34 AM

R17, Bette was in a bit of a career lull, and Disney (Touchstone) got her relatively cheaply for Down and Out. Same with Whoopi.

by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2022 2:57 AM

Cinema Snatch is such a drone. He ruins the pleasure of films with his aspie observations. Pallid and lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2022 3:06 AM

It's very interesting how relatively family-friendly the movie is, because the book it's based on is very much not. They really sanded down the edges for the masses.

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2022 3:10 AM

I liked the book and movie, but you are right.

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2022 3:15 AM

Stockard's character was such a wuss.

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2022 3:28 AM

I've had to deal with Bette's sister, and she is one of those "Don't you know who my relative is" types. I lived in Hawaii for a time.

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2022 3:33 AM

Bette's bitter about Barbra and always has been.

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2022 3:36 AM

In all fairness R4, Bronson is a pain in the ass too.

It’s rumored that the SNL show he hosted was never aired again because Lorne Michaels found him difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2022 3:37 AM

The prop master rented some prop(s) from the prop shop I was working at. I don't remember what he rented, but they were shooting Stockard's suicide. Or they had just filmed it...something. He just made some reference to it being somber on the set.

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2022 3:39 AM

It’s hilarious how SJP acts like she was some big time movie star. She was a supporting player in many movies.

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2022 3:42 AM

Better than ALL ABOUT EVE?!

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2022 3:42 AM

I wonder how much negotiation went into the movie poster. Bette consented to left, but only if she was the only one to serve tits and waist. Diane won right and demanded that she be the only one to show legs above the knee. Goldie got centre but had to wear trousers as penance.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2022 3:45 AM

Yet another bad '90s American movie! 👎

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2022 3:47 AM

This was a movie about FRAUS that FRAUS loved.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2022 3:51 AM

The bestselling book turned movie just used the traditional *3* GIRLS *3* formula.

by Anonymousreply 40November 1, 2022 3:56 AM

Director Hugh Wilson on making the film from 59. 00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 1, 2022 4:01 AM

SJP may not have been the star, but that was a great role for her.

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2022 4:34 AM

Fraus gone wild

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 1, 2022 4:40 AM

Scenes from my mall >>> Scenes from a Mall

by Anonymousreply 44November 1, 2022 4:50 AM

No cast can top “The Women”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 1, 2022 4:57 AM

I liked the movie.

by Anonymousreply 46November 1, 2022 5:06 AM

R43, Goldie's shoes change during that final dance

by Anonymousreply 47November 1, 2022 5:18 AM

This movie was too goofy and poorly acted by Keaton and Hawn. They could barely keep a straight face delivering "zingers".

by Anonymousreply 48November 1, 2022 5:32 AM

They were all fabulous, you're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 49November 1, 2022 6:01 AM

Goldie was good and believable as an aging wife with lip injections, vodka alcoholic. Diane Keaton, I just don’t enjoy her in comedies, stuttering and insecure. Bette was okay, I guess.

I’m guessing Goldie was the highest-paid.

Sad to hear Bette is so rude & unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 50November 1, 2022 6:11 AM

Can we have a moment for Billy Porter’s contribution.

I loved this soundtrack as a kid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 1, 2022 6:13 AM

No, it's not the greatest cast ever. It was an amusing little comedy. It was fine. In no way does it qualify as a great film.

by Anonymousreply 52November 1, 2022 6:14 AM

Bette was first billed, though Goldie's name was slightly higher. I expect they were paid much the same.

by Anonymousreply 53November 1, 2022 6:14 AM

Who gives a fuck? Goldie is rich, and got prime Kurt cock. Bette married a beast, and Diane is a quirky spinster

by Anonymousreply 54November 1, 2022 9:35 AM

Diane ran the gamut from Woody to Warren.

by Anonymousreply 55November 1, 2022 10:12 AM

Possessing the only Oscar for Best Actress did not earn Diane better billing?

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2022 10:15 AM

Three lesbians

by Anonymousreply 57November 1, 2022 10:27 AM

Diane seems stuck playing the stuttering, insecure idiots sadly.

by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2022 2:17 PM

Diane has never been anything other than "working actress". She was always average.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2022 2:44 PM

R56 she was the most “acclaimed” of the 3 but never ever had a name that could put asses in seats until STGG and her craptastic films that followed. My whole childhood there were “Goldie Hawn movies” that people went to see - she had a great run.

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2022 3:02 PM

OP, why do you talk about this movie as if we've never heard of it?

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2022 3:16 PM

A movie that would only appeal to bitter old first wives with dried up junk. Getting 'everything' just makes you think you're happy except late at night when you are curled up in bed humping your vibrator. You NEVER really get over being dumped and traded in on someone younger. I've seen it too many times.

by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2022 3:25 PM

I was in it too, OP! What the fuck is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2022 3:42 PM

R62 Just as there are only two biological sexes, it is inevitable that girls will be dumped for someone younger, better. It is a girl's destiny to only have a few good years then to be tossed aside like the used tampon she is.

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2022 4:19 PM

R64 showing signs of damage.

by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2022 4:40 PM

Let's move to other late '90s frau movies: City of Angels, Emma, Mrs. Brown, Runaway Bride, etc. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2022 5:02 PM

Moonlight and Valentino

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2022 5:28 PM

R62, a vibrator is not used for "humping," dear.

by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2022 5:41 PM

Some of y'all take these fluff pieces too seriously. This was a light comedy so enjoy it for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote]it is inevitable that girls will be dumped for someone younger

GIRLS?

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2022 7:48 PM

R70 that poster is 12 and already aging out of twink status. Pay him no mind.

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2022 7:54 PM

Several years ago a few of us fans waited outside the back exit of a concert venue, waiting for Bette's limo to leave. When she was driven past, she rolled down her window and gave us a thumbs up. I always loved her for that.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2022 7:57 PM

Who's the bitter little incel infesting a lot of threads lately?

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2022 8:14 PM

It's multiple incels. They get banned from Reddit and other places and Google the word cunt and find DL

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2022 8:26 PM

I loved this movie, from beginning to end. My mom rented it from Blockbuster when I was 14 and I think I watched it 10 times in one weekend.

HOWEVER, Bette, Goldie, and Diane were so fucking obnoxious during and after the promotion of it. I remember they all presented at the Oscars (I think Diane was nominated for Marvin’s Room at the time), and Billy Crystal called them The Yentas of Eastwick as soon as they left the stage.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2022 8:30 PM

Didn't they have a joke about 18-time Oscar loser Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2022 8:32 PM

Yeah, Bette said Goldie’s Golden Globe (?) had “I beat Meryl” inscribed on it.

by Anonymousreply 77November 1, 2022 8:35 PM

R1 it’s “Don’t get mad… get everything”

Dumbass

by Anonymousreply 78November 1, 2022 9:11 PM

R72 that wasn’t a thumb, motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 79November 1, 2022 9:12 PM

Bronson’s SNL monologue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 1, 2022 9:12 PM

This song in the end credits is fabulous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 1, 2022 9:14 PM

Bette’s audition for Misery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 1, 2022 9:15 PM

Maggie had to be Jewish to play this role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 1, 2022 9:33 PM

[quote] Greatest cast ever

Too many interesting cast-members cancel each other it.

They don't have enough screen time to shine.

Dame Maggie only appeared for twenty lines of script.

by Anonymousreply 84November 1, 2022 9:38 PM

Maybe the success of HP2 will get this greenlit again. The clock is ticking on these old hags’ faces.

by Anonymousreply 85November 1, 2022 9:45 PM

[quote] HP2

What is that? A motorcycle?

by Anonymousreply 86November 1, 2022 9:47 PM

R86 Hocus Pocus 2

by Anonymousreply 87November 1, 2022 9:49 PM

I guess this movie was made before Midler got her second husband and became insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 88November 1, 2022 9:54 PM

R41 His chewing gum was very unattractive.

But he says some interesting things from around 1.00 about 'comic book movies'.

by Anonymousreply 89November 1, 2022 10:13 PM

[quote]Keaton has made nothing but shit for decades. Midler is an annoying cunt dwarf, uglier than sin. Goldie was expired already. This movie had the pedophile from 7th Heaven. The super ugly Dan Hedaya played the super ugly Midler cunt's ugly husband. Horse faced SJP was in this stinking it up w her gross cunt. So no, it didn't have a great cast. The ending number was vomit inducing/tacky.

My, my, my aren't you a hefty bag of damaged goods.

by Anonymousreply 90November 1, 2022 10:28 PM

[quote]Goldie's shoes change during that final dance

And Goldie's hand gets caught in Diane's coat belt.

John Stewart played Goldie's boyfriend and was completely cut out.

by Anonymousreply 91November 1, 2022 10:32 PM

Met Goldie and told her what a great character Elise was and I got the great giggle and she signed my DVD "Elise is me!"

by Anonymousreply 92November 1, 2022 10:35 PM

R92 she did seem the most passionate of the 3, like she was totally invested in the role. Bette did her usual with a little extra pizazz. Diane was basically a supporting character except for her freak out scene.

by Anonymousreply 93November 1, 2022 10:56 PM

[quote] Bette, Goldie, and Diane … Billy Crystal called them The Yentas of Eastwick

Are all three Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 94November 1, 2022 10:58 PM

So Goldie’s movie producer ex was fucking an underage bimbo. Hilarious! (Well, it was back then. Now? Not so much)

by Anonymousreply 95November 1, 2022 11:00 PM

None of the ladies scored a Globe nomination (the year Madge won). Babs scored a nom for her Mirror movie!

by Anonymousreply 96November 1, 2022 11:16 PM

Keaton's a goy. And I deserved that nom, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 97November 1, 2022 11:21 PM

Goldie deserved a GG, maybe they didn’t like the award being tossed about in the movie

by Anonymousreply 98November 1, 2022 11:28 PM

[quote]I guess this movie was made before Midler got her second husband and became insufferable.

She's only been married once.

by Anonymousreply 99November 1, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote] Diane was basically a supporting character except for her freak out scene.

She’s so good at comedy when she not doing that fluttery shit (ie Baby Boom). She’s kind of at her worst here.

by Anonymousreply 100November 2, 2022 1:07 AM

Diane narrates the movie, so I don't think her character was relly secondary.

by Anonymousreply 101November 2, 2022 1:27 AM

^ Her character was a normal human; the other two were OTT crazy caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 102November 2, 2022 1:33 AM

R72, better than the finger.

by Anonymousreply 103November 2, 2022 1:36 AM

Throughout the '80s and into the early '90s, from Private Benjamin until Housesitter, Hawn opened films solely on her name. Midler did that for about two years and Keaton never successfully opened a film solely off her own name (Annie Hall's success was just as much about Woody Allen as her). Hawn was the only one of the three who had box office clout for any sustained period of time. To attribute any of the success of the Father of Bride franchise to Keaton is ludicrous, I would imagine she was hired because she was known but probably not asking too much in terms of a fee. Keaton played straight man to Martin in the Bride films, just as Martin played straight man to Hawn in Housesitter, which is a so-so film but a terrific vehicle for Goldie.

by Anonymousreply 104November 2, 2022 1:50 AM

Housesitter co-starred Steve Martin.

by Anonymousreply 105November 2, 2022 1:51 AM

Re: Elise's films "....and my personal favorite, " Animal Magnetism," where she played an extremely sensual Veterinarian." 😂😂😂 It gets me every time!

by Anonymousreply 106November 2, 2022 2:01 AM

[quote]So many great lines (and line readings) in this movie.

"Dad, I'm a lesbian. A BIG one."

by Anonymousreply 107November 2, 2022 2:25 AM

R104 all of this co-signed times 100.

by Anonymousreply 108November 2, 2022 2:25 AM

BIRD ON A WIRE was a huge hit in the spring of 1990.

It even debuted at No. 1.

by Anonymousreply 109November 2, 2022 2:37 AM

1990 is almost one third of a CENTURY ago.

by Anonymousreply 110November 2, 2022 2:38 AM

I thought Golda Hawn went into hiding when her face collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 111November 2, 2022 2:45 AM

R109 that was such an awful movie but yes - and the true test of your clout is if you can open an awful movie (like Diane Keaton in because I said so(. She looked great too and was Like 45 - I think that’s why she get so much crap on here bc how does someone hold out so well for so long and then suddenly hit a wall so fast and so hard?

by Anonymousreply 112November 2, 2022 2:51 AM

Bird on a Wire was with Mel Gibson. Are we really claiming Goldie opened that movie alone?!

by Anonymousreply 113November 2, 2022 2:53 AM

FWC was Goldie’s last hoorah. After she took a hiatus and was in box office bomb after bomb: The Out-of-Towners, Town & Country, The Banger Sisters. OOTs and Banger were okay, but T&C is one of the worst films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 114November 2, 2022 3:47 AM

That Old Feeling was Midler’s post FWC shot to show she could headline again but it tanked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2022 3:50 AM

[quote]Keaton never successfully opened a film solely off her own name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2022 4:08 AM

Baby Boom was peak power woman 80s!

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2022 4:25 AM

The book was better.

by Anonymousreply 118November 2, 2022 4:42 AM

What book?

by Anonymousreply 119November 2, 2022 4:48 AM

War & Peace, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 120November 2, 2022 5:05 AM

R104, Diane has a successful sude hustle restoring and flipping houses. She's definitely made more in real estate than acting.

by Anonymousreply 121November 2, 2022 5:27 AM

[quote] She's definitely made more in real estate than acting.

She never "acted". She merely fussed, fluttered and faffed in front of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 122November 2, 2022 5:31 AM

Did she ever loiter in front of an orchestra?

by Anonymousreply 123November 2, 2022 5:33 AM

They're all great in their own way, and have admirable film careers. Bette has much more success and is by far the biggest star.

FWC is Goldie's movie though. It just happens sometimes. Like that film with Diane, Lange and Spacek is Sissy's movie. Spacek just glows in some pixalated dark comedic plane in Places in The Heart. They all have equal screen time and suitable parts - but someone makes the a meal of it. Goldie Hawn is fantastic in First Wives Club and Keaton is a close second. Bette Midler plays a Bette Midler part.

Sarah Jessica is fantastic in her role. She's a very good actress when given something to work with.

If they just needed a blonde bimbo with no talent, then Monique or Heather Locklear would have had more than a minute of screentime. No, they needed a unlikely bimbo with comedic chops who could act. Shelly's in the car. In the glovebox? SJP.

It is a very fun movie. Not a great movie. And only worth watching twice.

by Anonymousreply 124November 2, 2022 5:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 2, 2022 5:51 AM

Not necessarily the best cast ever, but I so love this movie!

by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2022 5:57 AM

Let’s not forget the brilliant Eileen Heckart as Keaton’s mother.

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2022 1:19 PM

I fucking HATED Keaton in this. Her shrill screeching in the scene where they were in the window washer cage made me want to shoot her.

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2022 1:22 PM

[Quote]Viewing it from 2022 what sticks out is how mean the movie (and zero diversity).

Had Diana Ross kept up with her acting career, she could've played one of those three wives.

by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2022 1:27 PM

[quote]Viewing it from 2022 what sticks out is how mean the movie (and zero diversity).

I think I have this blocked but, no, dear.

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2022 1:36 PM

I don't get these diversity arguments. The movie is about rich New Yorkers. Their inner circles are predominantly white.

by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2022 1:41 PM

Exactly R131. The diversity troll want to ignore reality and rewrite history on top of it.

Delicate doilies.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2022 1:44 PM

So it would seem the raggedy ole cunts of the DL, whose cunts haven't seen any action since the Nixon admin, are now obsessing over this horrid movie from the 90s? Yuck. The Olden Girls has run its course, cunts? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2022 1:48 PM

There was a scene where they are talking about plastic surgery at a restaurant and Bette's character asked "Did she get the whole Ivana?"

It was a reference to how much plastic surgery Ivana Trump got after her divorce.

But when Ivana agreed to do a cameo in the movie, they had to cut the line. So Bette looped "Did she get the whole enchilada?" over it. Not nearly as good a line.

by Anonymousreply 134November 2, 2022 2:19 PM

For some reason I thought the joke was Goldie beat Meryl for an Oscar, not a Golden Globe.

Also that year Keston played Meryl's sister in Marvin's Room where she scored an Oscar nom after Meryl told the Producers to push Diane instead of her. Meryl of course got her annual Globe nomination for playing "the difficult sister".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 2, 2022 5:55 PM

I feel your pain, R22, because this movie also wounded me with its lack of diversity.

I'm the most fascinating creature and I only got 4 minutes on screen. Literal Violence!

by Anonymousreply 136November 2, 2022 6:11 PM

R123 by all means go somewhere they are obsessing over kit Connor (whoever the fuck that is) or the latest marvel crap. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 137November 2, 2022 6:13 PM

I’ve met Bette socially a few times. Cunt doesn’t even begin to describe her.

by Anonymousreply 138November 2, 2022 6:24 PM

Diane is the most skilled actress of the threes by FAR but stopped giving a fuck ala De Niro when she got older so she could catch checks. She’s pretty damn great in her 70s and 80s movies.

by Anonymousreply 139November 2, 2022 6:35 PM

I read that Goldie's agent was not happy with the scene where they had injected saline into her lips. He thought it hit a little close to home.

My favorite line in the movie was hers.

GIRLFRIEND: "Your husband was wrong. You are NOT Satan!"

GOLDIE: "Oh, stop!"

by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2022 7:46 PM

Elizabeth Berkeley redeemed herself in this after the Showgirls debacle. She said Goldie was very kind to her. EB is also very funny.

by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2022 8:43 PM

Is she, though?

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2022 8:49 PM

They were great at the Oscars too. It's nice to see performers with some presence and swagger. Bette, Goldie and Diane may each have a public persona.....but they also have good chemistry. Goldie showed up to pay tribute to Bette at the Kennedy Center Honors last year. I wouldn't believe the stories that egos got out of control. It's Diane Keaton who is standoffish in real life. But not in a mean way. They each were obsessed about different things. Not easy for actresses over 50. Life/art. Comedy.

Anyway this was cute. Same night Madonna tried to sing You Must Love Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2022 9:47 PM

[Quote] I’ve met Bette socially a few times. Cunt doesn’t even begin to describe her.

Any details you'd care to share?

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2022 10:07 PM

R115 I've never even heard of that movie.

by Anonymousreply 145November 3, 2022 3:23 AM

I wonder how many leading men turned the project down before they had to ask Dennis Franz (?)

by Anonymousreply 146November 3, 2022 3:26 AM

In the book Bette's character turns lez.

by Anonymousreply 147November 3, 2022 3:27 AM

I want to hear more about Bette being repellant in social settings. Was the poster the only person unknown to her in the grouping? Was her behavior targeted towards him?

by Anonymousreply 148November 3, 2022 3:30 AM

The stories about her behavior on her CBS sitcom are really bad too.

by Anonymousreply 149November 3, 2022 3:33 AM

That poster never met Bette Midler. Don't believe it when someone starts right out with the C-word. That poster has claimed to have met a lot of female performers that he hates, "socially." It's a very transparent way for a sad loser to insult someone.

by Anonymousreply 150November 3, 2022 3:40 AM

I actually worked for her once. She was the total opposite of her public persona and somewhat proper. I wouldnt say she was a bitch, just somewhat cold and somber, but thats understandable. She warmed up as the project went on...it was only 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 151November 3, 2022 3:44 AM

CBS should have done a sitcom with Bette, Cybill Shepherd, and Roseanne and let the sparks fly!

by Anonymousreply 152November 3, 2022 4:08 AM

Farina, r146.

by Anonymousreply 153November 3, 2022 4:13 AM

Mimi Farina. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2022 4:13 AM

Never name your kid "Sophie" or god forbid "Bella"

It never works out...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 3, 2022 4:21 AM

It worked out for Janet Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 156November 3, 2022 4:27 AM

I've posted on this thread before, and I wouldn't say cunt. Bette acts like she has a chip on her shoulder.

Plus, she was kind of a slob. Showed up to Olivia Newton John's daughter's BD party with her ugly daughter the day after the Grammys and didn't even bother to comb her hair. It was smashed down from the previous night's wig. This was a Jerry's deli/bowling alley in Studio City.

by Anonymousreply 157November 3, 2022 4:29 AM

Isn't Bette wearing one of her Big Business costumes here? Thrifty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 3, 2022 4:37 AM

Midler is a very interesting showbiz personality. She was the most beloved and suprising live performer of her time for two decades - but she wanted to be a movie star too. And for a while she was. With that came out all her insecurities about her less than beautiful looks and her big ego about knowing what's right for her. She wasn't young and flexed her muscle. (sound like anyone else...?) Bette was very sure and persevering, an original. A great live performer and a naturally funny person. She honors those who came before and has a very sophisticated showbiz palate. Her musical taste and knowlege is impeccable, even when execution fell short.

You don't have to be the best singer to be a great LIVE concert stage performer. Bette & Liza proved this for 30 years. Midler sold out for something.....sanity and a life I guess. Broad acceptance. Disney Moves. HIT records.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159November 3, 2022 7:43 AM

R143 ha - I remember when Billy Crystal introduced Madonna, and said something to the effect that she had “class” for performing even though she was not nominated - clearly a knock on Streisand (boycotting because she wasn’t nominated for her shittastic movie).

by Anonymousreply 160November 3, 2022 8:03 AM

R139 Diane can play shrieking neurotics. That's about it. Meryl, even with her horridly ugly nose, has way more range. Meryl was awesome playing a cunt or herself in Marvin's Room.

by Anonymousreply 161November 3, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote] I thought Golda Hawn went into hiding when her face collapsed.

WHO?!

by Anonymousreply 162November 3, 2022 1:50 PM

Leave Golda Hawn alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There has never been a bigger friend to the gay community than Golda.

by Anonymousreply 163November 3, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote]CBS should have done a sitcom with Bette, Cybill Shepherd, and Roseanne and let the sparks fly!

Just kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2022 1:53 PM

It makes sense for Bette to have her guard up in her personal life when she's around people she doesn't know. The contrast may seem greater because of how boisterous and open she seems when she's "on" but that doesn't make her a cunt. The trajectory of her career is fascinating-- I know she's expressed disappointment that she was never considered for heavier, Oscar-worthy fare after "The Rose" but I think she's more than proved herself as an effective actress capable of comedy and drama.

by Anonymousreply 165November 3, 2022 3:55 PM

[quote]I know she's expressed disappointment that she was never considered for heavier, Oscar-worthy fare after "The Rose"

Bette is wonderful, but her acting lane is narrow.

by Anonymousreply 166November 3, 2022 4:08 PM

R166 I don't know if she ever had the roles, or the director, that would show us what she's really capable of. She can make you laugh or cry, but it's always been the same kind of role, and there's not much you can do if they are the only ones you're offered. In something like Hocus Pocus, the closest I think she ever came to playing a period piece (not counting For the Boys, who was more or less a "modern woman"), she completely loses herself and is totally believable, or believable as can be as a witch in a children's movie. To this day I don't see or hear Bette when she's in her Winnie drag.

by Anonymousreply 167November 3, 2022 4:20 PM

R165 I think Bette was offered "heavier" roles but turned them down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168November 3, 2022 5:23 PM

Why do actors and actresses always want to do drama? Comedy is hard and much more entertaining

by Anonymousreply 169November 3, 2022 5:34 PM

R169 actors are genuinely more respected for drama and get the awards

by Anonymousreply 170November 3, 2022 5:36 PM

Oh c'mon, Bette got the plummiest of roles with Rose and look what she did with it. She didn't even win the Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 171November 3, 2022 5:37 PM

R170 so pathetic to chase a genre just to get awards

by Anonymousreply 172November 3, 2022 5:39 PM

R172 I agree but it's not like Bette couldn't produce a great movie for herself with a role she wanted, she has the resources.

It amazes me that big stars with lots of money don't go the Witherspoon route and produce their own stuff if they feel they aren't getting good enough parts. Or hire a screenwriter to tailor something for them.

by Anonymousreply 173November 3, 2022 6:11 PM

I just watched it for the first time based on this thread. I usually watch sci-fi tv & films so this was never on my entertainment radar. It was great & would've held up more by today's standards if they didn't say things like "It's the 90s" etc.

I bet Trumpy was furious with Ivana for slamming him in this pic & it's part of the reason she's stuck in the gold course plot today as his revenge on her

Everyone was great in their roles. I wish Collins wasn't a creep & Bette such a bitch in real life as they took enjoyment away from the film.

I could enjoy a sequel with Diana Keaton's character mentoring 3 new members of the first wives club. Hawn's Elisa could be on a film set & Midler's Brenda could be killed by a drag queen in some kind of dust up.

by Anonymousreply 174November 3, 2022 6:30 PM

Bette turned down Basic Instinct and Dead Man Walking because Gary Morton told her not to do those films.

by Anonymousreply 175November 3, 2022 6:55 PM

I really enjoyed Bette's Rose. Still hoping against hope for her to play Mae West. It's not like she'll ever age out of it.

by Anonymousreply 176November 3, 2022 6:56 PM

She lost an Oscar for turning down Moonstruck! Unfortunately, the makeup people couldn't figure out how to transform her into someone who looks attractive.

by Anonymousreply 177November 3, 2022 7:12 PM

Faye would have been great as Sue Minger

by Anonymousreply 178November 3, 2022 7:12 PM

[Quote] the makeup people couldn't figure out how to transform her into someone who looks attractive.

A blonde perm?

by Anonymousreply 179November 3, 2022 7:14 PM

Has she ever forgiven Our Sally for stealing "her Oscar"? She must have shat herself in consternation when Sally went on to win a second just 5 years later!

by Anonymousreply 180November 3, 2022 7:14 PM

The role that Bette most famously turned down was Sister Act. Not likely an Academy Award winning role for her - but a surefire hit. It would have been SO much better with Bette. She can SING and harmonize and is most believable as some gangster's moll in hiding. Better than Whoopi at everything.

Midler had problems with her vanity. Insurmountable. So she made it about all kinds of other things. But she didn't want to spend a film with no hair or lipstick or eyelashes. The actual habit requred. She loves to be funny, but was unwilling to look homelier than Kathy Najimi for 75% of the movie.

She did produce For The Boys. Oy. I am sure she thought it would be her OSCAR movie. Not a plausible moment. She was, strangely, nominated.

by Anonymousreply 181November 4, 2022 3:06 AM

But she agreed to Hocus Pocus?

by Anonymousreply 182November 4, 2022 3:11 AM

Midler did Hocus Pocus for Disney after turning them down for Sister Act, a decision she regretted after SA became one of the year' Top 10 grossers and earned Whoopi a Golden Globe nomination.

Unfortunately, Hocus Pocus flopped in theaters, probably because it was released in the middle of July. But it all worked out for Midler, because HC has become a cult classic and is perhaps more beloved than Sister Act these days.

by Anonymousreply 183November 4, 2022 3:13 AM

If Midler had taken Sister Act would she have owned part of it? The musical version has done pretty well, I think.

by Anonymousreply 184November 4, 2022 3:15 AM

Sister Act is far more beloved and popular. Plus, a musical. Whoopi gets 💰 for that.

by Anonymousreply 185November 4, 2022 3:22 AM

I went with family/friends to see Sister Act on Broadway, because we'd enjoyed the film so much over the years, and we were all disappointed that it did not feature any songs from the movie.

I love Alan Menken, but did not care for his SA score. The one time a jukebox musical would make total sense, and they don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 186November 4, 2022 3:25 AM

[quote]Sister Act is far more beloved and popular.

Not worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 187November 4, 2022 3:26 AM

Sister Act is better know worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 188November 4, 2022 3:31 AM

*known

by Anonymousreply 189November 4, 2022 3:31 AM

Midler is just so perfect for Sister Act. It's a real no brainer. It was written for her. She would have had the biggest film succes of her career. And a sequel. Or Two. $$$

Whoopi was so wrong for the role. Why hire a non singer to play a professional singer and choir leader? Whoopi is so fucking bland even in the comedy aspects of the movie. She's not remotley musical and barely registers. The supporting cast and plot do the work. Bette would have had LOL moments. Many of them. With the same script and costars. Probably a hit soundtrack. That's what Midler excels at. Singing all kinds of music with complex harmonies throwback girl group arrangemtns. Planting a comic spin on things with her facial expressions and line readings. Fast timing and interesting movment. She's quite a talent to be honest. She's the star.

They should have expanded her coming to convent back story to give her more time out of the habit. That's what she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 190November 4, 2022 3:44 AM

I don't rate Midler's girl group remakes.

by Anonymousreply 191November 4, 2022 4:27 AM

Actually, had I not known about Bette I thought Whoopi was excellent. Personally, I think she's a far better actress than Bette. I agree that Bette would have had a hit soundtrack, but vanity got the better of yet again.

by Anonymousreply 192November 4, 2022 4:27 AM

Bette wasn't exactly glammed up in her previous movie, Scenes from a Mall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193November 4, 2022 4:29 AM

One flaw of Sister Act that was pointed out to me by a friend is the climactic scene in Reno when the henchmen are looking for Deloris amid all of the nuns in their habits. My friend said they could have just asked passersby if they had seen the black nun. They probably didn't change the script when it was originally envisioned with Midler.

by Anonymousreply 194November 4, 2022 4:39 AM

Nitpicking, it's a comedy not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 195November 4, 2022 4:49 AM

For my own money Midler can deliver a comedic line with a gut feeling of reality in it that makes it honestly funny.

When she sings, and she does have a beautiful voice, she delivers a song with real emotion.

Those are the things I find I admire her most for.

by Anonymousreply 196November 4, 2022 5:02 AM

She's better with ballads. She's quite poor on uptempo material.

by Anonymousreply 197November 4, 2022 5:03 AM

Bette sold out, bottom line. She's rich but certainly doesn't seem happy. Went Disney mainstream.

I loved her in the old days.

by Anonymousreply 198November 4, 2022 5:50 AM

Midler did sell out, but she's still 20 times the talent of Whoopi Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 199November 4, 2022 7:12 AM

R190 Whoopi and Midler are two of the ugliest cunts to ever cunt the planet. It would have been no difference.

by Anonymousreply 200November 4, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote]Better than Whoopi at everything.

Apparently not better at winning an Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 4, 2022 5:16 PM

Whoopi is just collecting an easy check on The View, but if you were lucky enough to see her one woman show on Broadway she was a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 202November 4, 2022 5:44 PM

Who names their kid Whoopi?

by Anonymousreply 203November 4, 2022 5:45 PM

r203...you cant be that out of touch...her real name is Caryn.

by Anonymousreply 204November 4, 2022 5:46 PM

R202 I wish I had been. I just rewatched that clip though - man that was great. What was that side eye from Anjelica Huston though? Fucking bitch.

by Anonymousreply 205November 4, 2022 5:57 PM

r204 = Dame Edna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 4, 2022 6:09 PM

The side-eye from Anjelica Huston is no doubt because Whoopi Goldberg was not fit to touch the hem of Annette Bening or Lorraine Bracco??? Have you seen The Grifters or Goodfellas? Whoopi doing sketch comedy in Ghost deserved nothing more than a laugh.

Is there a worse starring role debut performance than Whoopi as Celie in The Color Purple? She flat out ruined the film. Her talent is tinier than her eyes.

No one went more Hollywood than Whoopi Goldberg. Don't let the smell fool you.

by Anonymousreply 207November 4, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote] The side-eye from Anjelica Huston is no doubt because Whoopi Goldberg was not fit to touch the hem of Annette Bening or Lorraine Bracco??? Have you seen The Grifters or Goodfellas? Whoopi doing sketch comedy in Ghost deserved nothing more than a laugh.

Yeah ok because Lorraine Bracco has such an impressive body of work (and I loved her in Goodfellas). It’s a great line up and yet Whoopi still 100% deserved it. She’s the only reason to watch that movie and she’s fucking great.

Also just so refreshing to see someone so genuinely happy and excited to win - no putting on airs, no pretentious self important shit - she was just fucking psyched to win a damn Oscar.

She may be like a fart in Church now but in her prime she was a one of a kind talent.

by Anonymousreply 208November 4, 2022 8:18 PM

Whoopi is basically the only black female movie star... ever. Apologies to Lena Horne, Dorothy Dandridge, Pam Grier, Angela Bassett etc. but it's true.

by Anonymousreply 209November 4, 2022 8:23 PM

"Bette sold out, bottom line. [ ] Went Disney mainstream."

She couldn't stay the girl who sang at the baths or who hopped around in mermaid suits forever! She had to change over the years, grow as an artist and explore her talents, and see what she could do. I give her credit for exploring a lot of creative options, even if I can't stand some of the results. If she wanted to make sentimental trash like "Beaches", well, maybe she likes sentimental trash.

by Anonymousreply 210November 4, 2022 8:47 PM

R209 yes, she is the only black female to have made Quigley's annual list of Top 10 Movie Stars (which gauged a film actor's bankability at the box office) in 1986 at #8 and in 1993 at #9.

She is only one of five black actors in total to accomplish this feat, along with Sidney Poitier, Eddie Murphy, Denzel Washington, and Will Smith.

Also, after the massive successes of GHOST (1990) and SISTER ACT (1992) and winning an Oscar in between, Whoopi was the highest-paid actress in Hollywood for a couple of years in the early '90s, until Demi Moore took the crown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211November 4, 2022 8:49 PM

And until Viola Davis received two Oscar nominations for DOUBT (2008) and THE HELP (2011), Whoopi was the only black actress to be Oscar-nominated more than once for THE COLOR PURPLE (1985) and GHOST (1990).

by Anonymousreply 212November 4, 2022 8:53 PM

Season 3 of The First Wives Club starts today on BET Plus!

by Anonymousreply 213November 17, 2022 12:51 PM

My friend worked with Bette and said she’s very maternal and makes sure everyone around her is well taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 214November 17, 2022 8:17 PM

Great comment Xennial/R208. The 1990 supporting actress lineup is one for the books (though, my ultimate preference would be to sub in Shirley MacLaine in Postcards from the Edge and take Mary McDonnell in Dances with Wolves). Just an outstanding lineup. And I Iove Whoopi's win. Great comedic performance for a summer sleeper hit, as well as "overdue" for The Colour Purple (which would have been another worthy win), along with her being a box-office weapon, representing for black female actors, having to work hard to get to where she did, etc.

by Anonymousreply 215November 18, 2022 1:53 AM

It is Color People, stupid cunt. Americans don't spell it that way.

by Anonymousreply 216November 18, 2022 6:33 AM

Colored People, LOL. Freudian slip. Color Purple, stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 217November 18, 2022 6:34 AM

R215 didn't Shirley refuse to go Supporting? She said she was the co-star

by Anonymousreply 218November 18, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]She's quite poor on uptempo material.

Sure, r197...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219November 18, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote] Great comedic performance for a summer sleeper hit,.

GHOST wasn't a sleeper hit, which refers to a movie that was initially unsuccessful but became a success later on. Rather, it was a smash hit from the get-go. It debuted at #2 at the box office but was #1 in its second week. Then for the next two months, it alternated between the top spot and second place. It was in the Top 10 for about 5 months. In the end, GHOST became the highest-grossing film of 1990 and was nominated for a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture. It won for Best Screenplay and Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 220November 19, 2022 7:43 PM

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN is a good example of a sleeper hit. It opened disastrously at the box office and would have disappeared from theaters soon enough but then word of mouth got people to go see it and it eventually became successful/profitable.

by Anonymousreply 221November 19, 2022 7:53 PM

Same with Moonstruck, which replaced Overboard in MGM marketing. It was considered a quirky comedy and became a classic.

by Anonymousreply 222November 19, 2022 8:33 PM

Thanks R220 and R221. I used the wrong term. I meant surprise hit. It was never meant to be so successful, but it was.

by Anonymousreply 223November 20, 2022 1:26 AM

Ten dollars for three tiny little pancakes?

by Anonymousreply 224November 20, 2022 4:01 AM

"Honey, she's a quilt."

by Anonymousreply 225November 21, 2022 2:07 AM

"Lesbians are GREAT ... nowadays"

by Anonymousreply 226November 21, 2022 2:09 AM

"Brenda, you're wonderfully [italic]verbal[/italic]"

by Anonymousreply 227November 21, 2022 2:12 AM

“When men get old—no when WOMEN get old, it’s a holocaust.”

—Elise, gulping her 9th vodka.

by Anonymousreply 228November 21, 2022 8:22 PM

[quote] Bette was apparently a huge bitch

That's a terminal case that's been going on since the umbilical cord got cut.

by Anonymousreply 229November 21, 2022 8:25 PM

OP is (or was, if she hasn't lasted this long) is quite twee in pronouncing on Maggie Smith having a career "downturn" at the time she appeared in the schlock this thread perfumes.

Considering that Dame Maggie at that time appeared in three West End productions that garnered three Olivier nominations, "The Importance of Being Earnest," "Three Tall Women" and "Delicate Balance," for fuck's sake); did several TV productions, receiving a prime time Emmy nomination; and appeared in a few other movies during the time that made money and/or achieved critical applause, and for which she received another Emmy nomination and a British Academy TV nomination.

Not bad for an actress who squeezed that into a time of a few years, during which she also managed to grace the OP's film.

As for SJP's career track, who the hell cares?

by Anonymousreply 230November 21, 2022 8:41 PM

R230- Kim Catrall

by Anonymousreply 231November 21, 2022 9:23 PM

You tell her, R230!

Not to mention Mags had been just a few years prior featured in a film Bette was SUPPOSED to make - Sister Act - and its sequel.

by Anonymousreply 232November 22, 2022 12:09 AM

Maggie Smith is a one trick old mare. It's an entertaining trick - but so very predicatable and OLD.

by Anonymousreply 233November 22, 2022 1:21 AM

She did look great in the UES matron drag, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234November 22, 2022 1:31 AM

[quote]Maggie Smith is a one trick old mare.

Fuck off, you worthless, untalented cunt.

I saw Maggie Smith on stage in London, performing a character that was nothing like her Downton Abbey character, and it was one of my favorite nights of theater ever.

by Anonymousreply 235November 22, 2022 1:33 AM

This movie makes Steel Magnolias look like Ordinary People in comparison. It's a crapfest with a hack script and many otherwise talented actors - plus Bette Midler - collecting a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 236November 22, 2022 3:15 PM

JFC, it's a nice Saturday afternoon comedy to make you forget about your troubles for an hour and a half.

by Anonymousreply 237November 23, 2022 3:24 AM

Exactly. I've seen Ordinary People exactly twice. First Wives, many times.

by Anonymousreply 238November 23, 2022 3:33 AM

Maggie Smith has worked steadily throughout her entire career. Even Meryl went through a career lull but not Maggie. She’s a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 239November 24, 2022 2:22 PM

Saw it on opening Saturday night with a packed sold out crowd in NY's upper west side and everyone had a great time.

by Anonymousreply 240November 24, 2022 3:04 PM

R231 = Matthew Broderick

by Anonymousreply 241November 24, 2022 3:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!