Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help Me Identify This Actress and Film

She almost looks like a young Vivian Vance but I don’t think it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 2:20 PM

She looks familiar... Someone here will know. Calling all eldergays

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2022 12:29 PM

OP, was Vivian Vance a negro woman, like Carol Channing?

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2022 12:54 PM

I think the piano guy is Jose Iturbi.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2022 1:10 PM

She also reminds me of a young Sandra Gould from Bewitched who played Gladys Kravitz #2.

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2022 1:13 PM

And Virginia O'Brien

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2022 1:13 PM

It's a brunette Helen Lawson

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2022 1:25 PM

Love what she's wearing and the pretty earrings and charm bracelet!

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2022 1:44 PM

That's not Iturbi.

Since the lyrics don't pull anything up, there's not much chance of figuring out who that is unless you ask on some group full of people who know a lot about 1940s swing or movies. You might try Nitrateville.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2022 1:46 PM

The singer is Ginger Harmon, it's the same lady in this video. Go to 2:10 or so and you'll see it. She's also wearing the same kind of sequined butterfly on her dress in both shorts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2022 2:10 PM

^ See, I knew the DL eldergay sleuths would figure it out 👍

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2022 3:50 PM

I have more info on Ginger Harmon but nothing about this particular short, but I'll post in case you're interested.

She apparently did nine musical shorts (soundies) in 1941 and 1942, but only one is on the IMDb, as far as I can tell. This page has reviews of three of them, sadly none seem to be easily available anywhere.

[quote]Ginger Harmon made nine soundies in 1941 & 1942 but her career had few highlights & she's mostly forgotten now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 28, 2022 11:01 AM

Ginger Harmon seems to have mostly performed in Soundies for Panoram, that 1940s-era jukebox that played little videos instead of just songs. Most of her Soundies were with George Steiner and his orchestra. Obviously she's with someone else on the short in question, but I'd bet it was also a Soundie made for Panoram. (According to Soundies, Jukebox Films and the Shift to Small-Screen Culture, these Soundies were shown full-size as entertainment for soldiers overseas during WWII.)

by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2022 11:09 AM

Ginger apparently was what we'd now call a D-lister during the war. She made Life Magazine once, in December 1940.

Also, she was booked for a pretty big show in Chicago's Chez Paree nightclub in 1942, with Bert Lahr as the headliner, but left after just a few shows and was replaced by Dale Evans. That's the show Dale was doing when she was discovered and given a film contract. I'd say that's probably the closest Ginger Harmon ever got to real fame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2022 11:12 AM

This is why I love DL

by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2022 11:53 AM

Not OP but I'm actually really impressed that someone was able to figure out who she was. I was expecting this thread to be comprised of about 100 joke answers .

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2022 12:35 PM

Dang!

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2022 12:39 PM

r14 you took the words right out of my mouth

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2022 1:29 PM

Thank you again for helping identify the actress!

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 1:43 PM

Can you not read your own link, OP? The YouTube SAYS "Ginger Harmon"!

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!