Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lunch with Lizabeth (Scott) a Memoir by Todd Hughes

This just came out. A gay guy in LA is obsessed with her for years and finally meets her and develops a friendship over 20 years. I give it four stars. Anyone who is a noir fan is going to like it. There are a lot of sub themes.

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2022 3:43 PM

Is her lesbianism much explored?

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2022 6:12 PM

Does he talk about the lesbian rumors?

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2022 8:41 PM

Lizabeth who ??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2022 8:46 PM

I recently read Curtis Harrington's memoir and he mentions an early job as a messenger for Paramount's publicity department. He said there was a lot of gossip about who was and wasn't gay and rumors about Scott's lesbianism followed her to Hollywood from New York, despite her association with Hal Wallis.

Other tidbits he dropped were that ZaSu Pitts was friendly and approachable and Mitchell Leisen was not. He also found Alan Ladd quite sexy in person.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2022 9:00 PM

In this interview Hughes says Scott wasn't a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2022 9:04 PM

Did she smell of jasmine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2022 9:07 PM

Did he say she wasn't bisexual either?

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2022 9:12 PM

"Part of the reason I was obsessed with her is because I thought she was gay. And it turns out that I'm just like everyone else, and you believe what you read on the internet. And she's not gay at all." - Todd Hughes

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2022 9:25 PM

I'm nothing!

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2022 9:31 PM

Bitch stole Frances Farmer's voice and Veronica Lake's hair.......

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2022 10:18 PM

I thought he left the gay issue open with no definitive conclusion but a good discussion. Maybe I'll have to re read that part.

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2022 2:53 PM

If the Internet line is a direct quote, it makes me less likely to check out the book. The rumors, headlines and lawsuit predate any online discussion by several decades.

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2022 3:03 PM

R12 sorry I don't get what you are saying

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2022 3:09 PM

The book is not an episode of the old Leonard Nimoy show In Search Of. . . In Search of . . . a Lesbian. The topic is addressed and he comes to a conclusion of sorts. The issue is interwoven within the bigger story and other themes that are well presented in the book.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2022 9:38 PM

If I remember correctly, Leonard Nimoy's Sapphic search led him to Nancy Culp happily retired on the isle of Lesbos, not Lizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2022 11:44 PM

R13, what I meant pertained to the quote at R8. Scott's a poor cautionary tale about believing Internet gossip when rumors followed her going back to the '40s, even before the Confidential outing. There probably was something to her being bisexual (or gay and ambivalent), but I should give the author the benefit of the doubt that his take is more nuanced than what I extrapolated from that quote.

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2022 12:36 AM

Does this write about her films with any depth?

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2022 8:06 AM

Liked Ms. Scott in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers".

Though to my young ears at the time (was up late watching film on television) it sounded as if Ms. Scott had a lisp or some other speech impediment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2022 9:57 AM

Cane face for days in this pic. The hair and lipstick look like they want to be on any other face but hers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2022 10:11 AM

the YouTube promo for this somehow recalls a meeting with Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2022 10:15 AM

Oh it has been removed. Now there is a longer interview with the author.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2022 10:18 AM

R18

Great movie.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2022 10:46 AM

The book is not an indepth analysis of her movies though they are discussed.

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2022 7:41 PM

There are many photos of her in the early-mid 60s looking lovely, but by 1972's "Pulp" she looked a horror show. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2022 9:48 PM

This couple are the same guys that did Dear Mom, Love Cher. They lived in Palm Springs and just moved to Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2022 3:53 AM

Lunch with Lizbeth? Spell Checker doesn't work for Lizabeth, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2022 3:55 AM

I just read this book. A quick read. It held my interest but at times his interest in Scott was so fervent that it creeped me out. And the author sure likes to name drop. In reading this book, I got impression she apparently maintain correspondence and friendships with a number of fans, though she always maintained boundaries. She did name the author in her will but left most of her sizable estate to family members from her Emma Matzo days in Scranton PA, none of whom he had any idea about, which re-inforced impression she was friends with him, but not to extent where she discussed family matters with him.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2022 8:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2022 9:04 PM

Alfred Hitchcock was on the syndicated Merv Griffin Show when the name of Lizabeth Scott came up.

He just said that the dropping of the first letter of an actress' name could result in some amusing results. He said the one that he liked most is: "Reer Garson."

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2022 3:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!