Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Cheever

I looked him up and found out that he was gay/bi, thanks to Seinfeld episode.

So who did he hook up with, besides his brother?

His wiki has a strange paragraph about their relationship with each other:

[quote] Cheever's older brother Fred, forced to withdraw from Dartmouth in 1926 because of the family's financial crisis, re-entered Cheever's life "when the situation was most painful and critical", as Cheever later wrote. After the 1932 crash of Kreuger & Toll, in which Frederick Cheever had invested what was left of his money, the Cheever house on Winthrop Avenue was lost to foreclosure.

[quote] The parents separated, while John and Fred took an apartment together on Beacon Hill, in Boston. In 1933, John wrote to Elizabeth Ames, the director of the Yaddo artist's colony in Saratoga Springs, New York: "The idea of leaving the city", he said, "has never been so distant or desirable." Ames denied his first application but offered him a place the following year, whereupon Cheever decided to sever his "ungainly attachment" to his brother.

I had to look up "ungainly," and it means awkward or clumsy. That's a strange way to describe his "attachment" to his brother.

Then his sexuality was described this way:

[quote] Variously described as gay, homosexual, or bisexual, Cheever had relationships with both men and women, including a short relationship with composer Ned Rorem and an affair with actress Hope Lange. Cheever's longest affair was with a student of his, Max Zimmer, who lived in the Cheever family home. Cheever's daughter, Susan, described her parents' marriage as "European", saying: "they were people who felt their feelings weren't necessarily a reason to shatter a family. They certainly hurt each other plenty but they didn't necessarily see that as a reason for divorce."

He seemed like a very talented gay/bi man, but we hardly hear about him very much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2022 2:34 AM

He was decent looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2022 7:37 PM

His wife was pretty, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2022 7:38 PM

How should I know? He never sucked MY cock.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2022 8:27 PM

When I was reading his work and about him, I just got creeped out. In-the-world and worldly and "real life" and confessional and all that stylistic squinting is fine, but when the core is depression and addiction and what smokes behind them is too Bosch for me. Like an existence attacked by small fishhooks.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2022 8:31 PM

He taught a writing class at Sing Sing in the 1970’s and used the materiel for his novel “Falconer,” a bestseller that reestablished his reputation. He had an affair with one of his students after their release from prison. He also had an affair with Alan Gurganus.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2022 8:32 PM

The Swimmer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2022 8:38 PM

There’s a very hot scene in Falconer where the narrator describes an old hidden piss trough in the bowels of the prison where the inmates go to wank, suck, get it on.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2022 9:20 PM

Alan Gurganus was a total whore. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But he'd sleep with anyone, even back in the late '90s.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] He had an affair with one of his students after their release from prison. He also had an affair with Alan Gurganus.

This is not surprising. At all.

[quote] There’s a very hot scene in Falconer where the narrator describes an old hidden piss trough in the bowels of the prison where the inmates go to wank, suck, get it on.

Hot! Is the book still in publication? What exactly is it about?

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2022 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!