Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year

I loved Christmas as a child but didn't care about it in my 20s and 30s.

COVID reawakened the Christmas spirit in me. Maybe it's because it reminds me of being a kid again. It also reminds me of my mom, who won't be around much longer, and who loved Christmas herself.

My beautiful Crane Christmas cards arrived this week. I can't wait to put on Percy Faith's Christmas Is ... album and decorate my Christmas tree just after Thanksgiving. And as soon as the tree is up, I'll fill out and mail the cards.

It's the simple things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2022 7:53 AM

Good for you, op. Please rub some of the Christmas enthusiasm off onto me this year.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2022 5:15 PM

Decorate 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. It's much less exhausting in the long run!

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2022 5:18 PM

I am the Grinch when it comes to Christmas. I hate everything about it!

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2022 5:18 PM

R3 yeah nobody is surprised your comment.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2022 5:19 PM

Miss OP will be wearing her newest Christmas-themed caftan while addressing and signing all her cards.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2022 5:38 PM

Percy Faith! My family listened to this every year and I found it on Apple Music. Brings back a lot of good memories!

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2022 5:43 PM

Crain!

You must be the reincarnation of Edith Wharton…

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2022 5:47 PM

r6 I think this is my favorite track

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2022 5:47 PM

Crane

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2022 5:48 PM

I do like your choice for this year's card OP.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2022 5:53 PM

I love Christmas too. My Mom died two years ago and last year's Christmas was hard for me. I went all out and decorated more than usual, prepared a huge feast for my siblings and tried my best to continue the tradition of fully embracing the joy of the season. Unfortunately my brother fought with me on Christmas day about the most ridiculous thing and ruined everyone's holiday. I think the first year without Mom was hard on everyone. This year I hope to regain that joy I've always had for Christmas. BTW -I like your Christmas card.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2022 5:55 PM

I love this thread. I love it anytime someone posts a tender feeling and others respond in kind (even with the Mary!!!s). Christmas used to be huge for me. Our parents went big with decorating (homemade stuff from designs in Better Homes & Gardens) and made it all feel magical. We lost both parents a few years ago during the holidays. Since then, we've been finding new traditions (full moon hikes, e.g.), so Christmas is kind of an exploration now rather than a time to keep up traditions. I didn't even put up a tree last year. I feel like I'm in some kind of transition, maturing, or maybe just taking a break. It's entirely possible that in Christmases to come I will madly decorate again. I'm okay with this liminal holiday space and doing things differently. AND I still love the tradition of Christmas cards!!

R11, So sorry about the family fight on Christmas. Shit like that often arises when people are in grief, don't know how to deal, don't even know they're in grief, and end up lashing out. Not that knowing that makes it any better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2022 6:05 PM

Ok r8 I’ve gotta be a grinch and tell you to slow the fuck down. It is too early for Xmas music but you do you.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2022 6:05 PM

I used to send the most unique Xmas cards I could find to fam & friends until I stopped because it wasnt really appreciated or reciprocated. I think the perception is that I think I’m exclusive or “fancy” when in reality I am not. To counteract this I dial things down while not sacrificing my personal tastes.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2022 6:12 PM

I’m glad you and others find so much joy in Christmas, OP.

I’ll leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2022 6:19 PM

I always preferred the least unique card.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2022 6:19 PM

I love Christmas too, OP. It has been difficult since my mother died a few years ago. We loved decorating together and shopping for discounted ornaments after Christmas but I carry on. I bought the complete Andre Kostelanetz Christmas Albums last year because I have such happy memories of my parents' LPs in the 70s. I'm looking forward to playing them even though I know I'll shed a tear or two.

I would like some advice: how often do you replace Christmas string lights? I prefer the GE incandescent string-a-longs because they have the best colors (no orange!) and bought new sets last year. I know they're only guaranteed to work for about 3 months and I leave my tree up for at least 6 weeks. Would you use last year's lights again or just buy new ones? I'm a total Mary about my tree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2022 7:44 PM

Six weeks?? You’ll be screaming MARY!! as the fire dept. tries to save your home one day…

My God, you’re an adult—act like one.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2022 7:52 PM

Why you no like Annunzio Paolo Mantovani? Now that’s real easy listening music!

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2022 7:56 PM

R18, it's an artificial tree and I only have the lights on a few hours a day. You must not have been raised Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2022 8:00 PM

I wish Christmas was in late January instead. There’s a long fucking frozen stretch between December 25 and the first day of spring that needs a celebration. February makes me homicidal.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2022 8:01 PM

R17 Being Catholic is irrelevant. No missal, catechism, parish priest, bishop or cardinal I’ve ever seen or heard would allege a cockamamie rule about six weeks for a tree. That’s not how it goes—Lent == tree schedule.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2022 8:07 PM

That's why I wait until just before Christmas to put the tree up and leave it up so long, R21. It really helps! I also don't play Christmas music until Christmas eve and get my shopping done early to avoid the Christmas stations that only play the same 20 songs every year.

Maybe have a Mardi Gras party? It's February 21 next year. It must be so festive to live in New Orleans if you can avoid becoming a 600 pound alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2022 8:08 PM

Advent does not = tree schedule

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2022 8:08 PM

Good for you, and I love your cards.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2022 8:09 PM

You’d better celebrate it now,then. There’s not going to be a Christmas this year. Not even in your heart.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2022 8:20 PM

^Liz Truss

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2022 8:26 PM

I think you should wear your Xmas tree skirt as an actual skirt.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2022 9:39 PM

r28 = Edith Bouvier Beale

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2022 9:43 PM

I'm not.

I was, but I think this country is positively hopeless. The GOP will take over; the last vestiges of democracy will be destroyed. My husband and I want to move to another country. Yet, it'll be impossible because I'm 59.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2022 10:24 PM

R30 you need to stop watching and reading so much news and decompress. I know what I’m saying.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2022 10:31 PM

r30 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2022 10:43 PM

No r29 that is from an episode of Designing Women when Bernice did it

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2022 12:21 AM

Thank you r25

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2022 8:15 AM

Thanks to r10 too!

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2022 8:27 AM

I'm really excited for Christmas this year for the first time since covid. I bought a new pre-lit tree and it just came today. How are trees decorated now? I used to use gold garland and think that's out now. Maybe something like I attached? Also, where can i get some nice 14' artificial pre-lit garland for my fireplace mantle? All I can find is 9 foot. Thanks in advance bitches, I love you all dearly!!!

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2022 4:52 PM

^ Forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2022 4:55 PM

I find these Christmas cards quite merry!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2022 5:05 PM

So even Halloween can’t hold back the tide anymore.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2022 5:23 PM

Beautiful r37!

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2022 5:38 PM

Lol r38!!!

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2022 10:59 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2022 1:11 PM

Less than two months, bitches!!!

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2022 12:06 AM

This corporation is selling a product which uses the word "advent" instead of "Christmas" so as not to provoke the Anti-Christians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2022 12:12 AM

I can’t wait until I’m dead. It’ll be a relief from this shit!

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2022 12:12 AM

Nice cards. Maybe I'll send out some this year.

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2022 12:14 AM

R45 maybe you should write one to yourself. Write a sweet little message about peace on earth. Then you should shove it up your ass!

by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2022 12:20 AM

[quote] This corporation is selling a product which uses the word "advent" instead of "Christmas" so as not to provoke the Anti-Christians.

Have you really never heard of Advent calendars?

by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2022 8:11 PM

Smythson is better than Crane

by Anonymousreply 49November 1, 2022 12:04 AM

If I ever got such a lovely Christmas card, I’d just die!

by Anonymousreply 50November 1, 2022 6:02 AM

R8, that's my favorite track too!

by Anonymousreply 51November 1, 2022 6:22 AM

MARY!!!!!!! r50

by Anonymousreply 52November 1, 2022 10:07 AM

My fave is "Happy Holiday" performed by Peggy Lee. It's mid-20th-century glee. Jazzy after-hour xmas cocktails. It may evoke images of Christmas shopping in NYC in 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 1, 2022 12:45 PM

I prefer Crane r49

by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2022 9:04 AM

I have never had a Christmas tree of my own. I bought a condo last spring and it has high ceilings...and I bought a 9' tall Christmas tree last month and I have spent *way too much* on ornaments.

I have always loved the Christmas season. I've been inside a church maybe five times in my life, and never to engage personally with a church service. To me, Christmas is spiritually comforting oasis of warm twinkly lights and warm spices inside a warm home during a cold, dark winter. I love December. Coming in from the cold makes me feel safe and secure, and having glowing lights illuminating the long periods of darkness makes my feel all glowy. I am not religious but I am interested in all manner of spiritual ideas, and something about quiet, barren winters does make me feel like we are all closer to 'the other side' than we are throughout the rest of the year.

My mother died four years ago over the months of December and January. It was an absolute nightmare and I thought I would never enjoy Christmas ornthe season again. But over time, I've realized she is better off now and I still feel her presence a lot—and so now the season makes me feel that we can maybe be in closer contact during December if the liminal divide is thinner. Anyway, the terror of that experience has passed.

Most of the people in my family who have died have died in January or February after serious illnesses in Decembers. The season does have a kind of threatening feeling in a way, but it's a yin/yang kind of thing, reminding me of what we have to be grateful for and also reminding me that we are at the mercy of nature and life's seasons despite human bravado.

Soo I'm excited to put up my tree soon and cover it in big jewel-toned balls and lots of golden stars and hearts. I only wish it weren't so warm. A heat index of 79 a couple weeks before Thanksgiving is a major buzz kill.

OP, my great uncle always sent us Christmas cards with embroidered/cross-stitched designs, and my mom eventually started sending exclusively those. They look a lot like the ones you posted. Thank you for the reminder.

by Anonymousreply 55November 5, 2022 1:24 PM

I started listening to Midwinter Graces last month. One of the songs came onto my playlist and sucked me into the spirit of the season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2022 1:26 PM

Sending out my cards this week!

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2022 7:27 PM

I’ll be waiting by my mailbox R57!

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 7:29 PM

Have you been naughty or nice, r58?

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 7:42 PM

R17, I have a string of white lights adorning a large rock in my garden that is plugged into a timer and has been on 4 hours a day for over two years. I think you can use your same lights from last year.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2022 7:46 PM

Christmas Eve is in a month, bitches!!

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2022 7:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!