Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Empress on Netflix

The new Sissi series. Young German actor Philip Froissant is very dishy and pretty as Franz Joseph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2024 5:39 AM

I saw a preview for this. It actually looks good if you like this sort of period drama.

Her real life sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2022 12:09 AM

[quote]Her real life sounds interesting.

There's a DL queen who can tell you all about Sissi. Somebody send out the bat signal.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2022 12:19 AM

"Froissant" sounds more French than Kraut.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2022 12:19 AM

I'm watching it starting today. I'm watching it mostly dubbed, which is well done. I don't want to pay that close attention to watch and read subtitles. Maybe a later episode. Red haired Philip Froissant has plaintive watery eyes and looks very pretty in the period costumes. He has a nice face full on and a delicate profile as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2022 12:21 AM

Saw this with my partner, and yes it is good. Interesting bit of history that I havent seen on TV before. Amazing interiors in the palace they're living in too

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2022 12:22 AM

I though so too R3 but his bio says he's German, from Munich, 28 yo.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2022 12:23 AM

I am not the Sissi Queen, but her story is fascinating- she exercised like an anorexic, spent all day washing her hair with cognac and egg yolks, and made facials with veal and strawberries. She loved her own beauty, horses, and men. Her son killed himself at his hunting lodge, many hours after he murdered his teen mistress.

So much more, the above is just a scandal appetizer.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2022 12:25 AM

There is a film about Sissi coming out in December that looks terrific, called CORSAGE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2022 12:27 AM

How does it compare to the 1955 film with Romy Schneider?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2022 12:29 AM

r8 that looks fabulous!!!!!

Op, the show is hot trash. They have a girl that looks nothing like Sissi. An emperor too hot for the role, but that's common for TV. But they couldn't even get imperial titles correct, they had the most uptight monarch of the era sitting on a floor with Sissi, as if he'd ever do such a thing. His mother has hats and and clothes patterns more suited for the Titanic, then the 1840s/1850s. Everyone else's clothes are just WRONG. I know they need to modernize shit, but the 1850s already offer the romantic princess cut (think GWTW, southern bell dresses), so no need for artistic licenses. I know, I've become a costume snob. Some of the clothes are beautify though. Her Hunger Games inspired wedding dress was tragic.

The story of the brother is just stupid. No one would dare hit on Sissi in public, especially at court. There was no privacy in the Vienna court, so you'd face treason for even hinting at such an outlandish action or banishment if a prince.

Don't waste your time on this girl power wanna be show. Once the gorgeous sister cut her hair into a bob, a fucking bob, then went to the highly rigid 1850s Hapsburg court with her bob, I knew I was about done. Like, at least try to respect the period and time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2022 12:53 AM

Yes all that is true, R10. Sissi was the fair haired one, and her sister was dark. Whatever, I like trashy historical costume dramas filled with anachronisms.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2022 3:43 AM

I'm surprised Dataloungers haven't discovered this. I'm watching it right now and it's so hilariously anachronistic and trashy, plus both the actor who plays the Emperor (who in this version is kindly and nurturing) and the actor who plays his brother Maximilian (who in this version is crazy and nasty and a huge slut) are HOT.

For no clear reason, as someone posted above, the fashions often are changed to reflect whatever the showrunner wants, so the mistress of the Empress's bedchamber has a bizarrely anachronistic Marie Antoinette auburn hairdo, and there are men at court in mullets and pony-tails. It's also all about girl power and empowering the mentally challenged, so the Empress is constantly speaking 2023 ideas of feminism and is supposed to be all the more sympathetic she's emotionally off-balance (because she's been driven to it by her scheming relatives).

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2023 3:05 AM

Period dramas that use modern vernacular piss me off.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2023 3:17 AM

^^^That's almost all of them these days, r13.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2023 6:27 AM

pretty pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2023 6:55 AM

Considering what a popular subject royalty is, it's surprising there isn't more out there about the Hapsburgs. I actually thought the story about Franz Ferdinand & his wife Sophie was a good story: he married down for love, she was snubbed throughout her reign and while he wasn't exactly a revolutionary, he had more progressive ideas than Franz Joseph about how to deal with the many territories of the Hapsburg empire. Had he not been the one assassinated, he may not have pushed (or allowed himself to be pushed) to attacking Serbia.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2023 10:18 AM

WALTER PRESENTS (PBS) has another version, in German with subtitles. Beautiful cinematography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2023 10:38 AM

Aggressively plain Vicky Krieps as the beautiful Empress? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2024 5:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!