Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many celebrities are left in Scientology?

Here are the ones who are OUT:

Will & Jada and their offspring

Juliette Lewis (apparently)

Laura Prepon

Jason Lee

Beck

Lisa Marie Presley (uncertain)

Leah Remini

Nicole Kidman

Katie Holmes

But the ones who are still in:

Tom Cruise

John Travolta

Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson)

Elisabeth Moss

Catherine Bell (even though he’s a lesbian)

Kirstie Alley

Anne Archer

Danny Masterson

Unsure

Ant the Comedian

Tyler Blackburn (although he was never publicly in)

by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2023 2:27 AM

Richard (was) & Bodhi & Jenna Elfman. I don’t think Danny ever was

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2022 5:54 AM

Who’s Unsure?

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2022 6:03 AM

I didn't know all those were out. Yay! Hope the place goes bankrupt and folds. One cult down, 1000s more to go (I'm counting all the churches except maybe Unitarian)

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2022 6:06 AM

R2 Hunky Dory’s brother

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2022 6:14 AM

Are we sure that Juliette Lewis, Laura Prepon and Jason Lee are out? I'm honestly asking, the last I heard for those three was that they were still in.

Casey Kasem's crazy daughter Kerri is still in the cult, and still getting strangely positive press from TMZ, who she uses to harass her step mother. Casey didn't leave Kerri anything because he knew it would go straight to the clams, and she's mad about it, and has gone after Casey's widow Jean for years now, and it's unfortunately been effective. A lot of people side with Kerri.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2022 6:19 AM

R5, Laura Prepon is definitely out. In an interview with people, she said she hadn’t practiced Scientology for five years.

Jason Lee left a long time ago, but didn’t make a big scene.

Juliette Lewis said in an interview with NY Times that her parents had been in it and she had studied it, but she was a Christian now. But my under is that her mom and half-sister are still pretty devoted.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2022 6:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2022 6:52 AM

I don't think saying "I left Scientology 5 years ago" in one interview is "definitely out," but I appreciate the source on that.

I see that Tony Ortega thinks Jason Lee is definitely out, and that Juliette Lewis probably is too, and I'll take his word on that.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2022 6:54 AM

If we are counting stars of daytime soaps as celebrities, I've read that Michelle Stafford (The Young and the Restless) is a pretty intense adherent.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2022 6:54 AM

[quote]Juliette Lewis said in an interview with NY Times that her parents had been in it and she had studied it, but she was a Christian now.

Why can’t you be a Scientologist and a Christian? That’s like saying you can’t be a vegan and a Christian.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2022 7:08 AM

Juliette Lewis said she was a spiritualist now.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2022 7:10 AM

[quote] Bodhi & Jenna Elfman. I don’t think Danny ever was

I would never allow what’s happened to Bridget.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2022 7:11 AM

R10

You don’t know anything about Scientology or Christianity, do you?

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2022 7:48 AM

Giovanni Ribisi is also a Scientologist. Greta van Susteren is as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2022 12:58 PM

Catherine Bell is a he? Also, considering that she's been married to a man for 17 years, I would say she's bi, not a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2022 1:37 PM

Juliette Lewis and Laura Prepon are not Scientologists. They left awhile ago.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2022 2:03 PM

[quote] Why can’t you be a Scientologist and a Christian?

They’re two different religions, dummy. Christianity doesn’t do Xenu and aliens.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2022 2:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2022 3:28 AM

Karen Bass is apparently scientologist. I dread the thought of her becoming mayor of LA. She'll be controlled by the church of scientology. While LA continues to turn into a giant outdoor insane asylum/homeless shelter.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2022 3:42 AM

Anne Archer, OMG, what is her fucking problem?

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2022 3:51 AM

Juliette Lewis definitely left—she made that clear in an interview from around a year ago. Elisabeth Moss has not left it though. Not sure where that claim came from. She was still espousing her involvement in the "church" as recently as this six months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2022 3:52 AM

R17 this is partly true, but people could theoretically "practice" Scientiology and still be Christians. A lot of the Scientology basics are not "religious" per se—they consist of your typical new-age shit, mindfulness, rational thinking, etc. There are "tools" in some of the fundamentals of Scientology that are not that wild. The deeper you go, though, the weirder it gets. This is how I believe so many otherwise intelligent people have been baited into it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2022 3:56 AM

You can be a Christian and a scieno. According to scienos, scientology is an applied religious philosophy. You can be a practicing jew, xtian, Muslim, or whatever, and be an active scientologist. You just apply their philosophies to your practicing religion.🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2022 3:56 AM

R21 Stupid fraus that love The Handmaid's Tale always insist that she's "not really a Scientologist" or "barely a Scientologist," despite all the evidence to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2022 3:58 AM

More current ones:

Erika Christensen

Jason Dohring

Marisol Nichols

Besides Tammy and Travolta it's pretty b and c-list.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2022 4:00 AM

I was raised a nominal Catholic at my mother's request (my dad is a staunch agnostic) so I can't really relate to people who were raised so deeply with any sort of religion, but I know some who were and realize how world-shifting it is to question and eventually leave something that's been so ingrained in you from birth. This is why, to some extent, I have a bit of sympathy for the people who were raised in Scientology and have never known anything else. It takes a lot of soul-searching and asking hard questions to leave something like that behind, especially a group like Scientology that is so extreme and tethers itself to every part of your life. You are truly brainwashed to the fullest extent.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2022 4:07 AM

Uh, pretty sure Leah Remini is no longer a Scientologist.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2022 4:08 AM

R26 I read an interview with Paul Haggis some years back. He joined as an adult, but he said that even when he realized that it wasn't a good organization, it was such a big part of his life (and he had recruited some of his family members) that he couldn't just walk away.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2022 4:13 AM

Wow, I cannot believe Elizabeth Moss is a Scientologist! That's so sad. I always thought of her as someone who was so intelligent, smart, talented, and non-crazy. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2022 4:34 AM

Haggis said that when he reached (read: gave them enough money to reach) OT level whatever, the one at which they let you enter the vault to peruse the super-sekrit documents, he couldn't believe his eyes. It really was all that "aliens warlords and volcanoes" bad sci-fi that anyone with an internet connection can read nowadays. He asked, "So...is this a metaphor for something? Please?" He was told it is exactly what it is and speaks for itself.

So, he was teetering, but the organization's homophobia is finally what got him to sever ties. He has a lesbian daughter. I'm not especially a fan of his screenplays, but I respect his outspokenness on CoS.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2022 4:59 AM

R30, he actually has two lesbian daughters,

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2022 7:20 AM

R23 But does Christianity allows praying and believing in whatever scientologists believe in...some alien-god thing?

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2022 8:14 AM

Elisabeth Miss grates my nerves, and it has nothing to do with her being a Scientologist. I feel like people blow a lot of smoke up her ass and she counters it with this faux-precious persona. She got a lot of attention pre-Handmaids Tale for her hysterical performances in Queen of Earth and Her Smell, both of which were pretty middling indie movies. She overacted like crazy in both of them, but people were praising her as some sort of second coming of Gena Rowlands.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2022 10:03 AM

^Moss obviously, not Miss

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2022 10:05 AM

Lisa Kudrow in still?

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2022 10:23 AM

[quote]theoretically "practice" Scientiology and still be Christians.

You means you could "practice" Scientology and "practice" Christianity right?

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2022 11:16 AM

Lisa Kudrow is a scientologist? I know she studied science in college...is someone confused?

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2022 11:40 AM

Rapists Danny Masterson and Paul Haggis

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2022 11:41 AM

Nicole Kidman is not in that cult.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2022 11:42 AM

Re Remini and Kidman, the first names on OP’s list are those who are “out”.

Also, Chloe Fineman from SNL is in, if not yet mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2022 11:48 AM

R38 You are 13 years too late.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2022 12:21 PM

From Paul Haggis Wiki: "He is best known as a sexual predator, screenwriter, and producer for consecutive Best Picture Oscar winners Million Dollar Baby (2004) and Crash (2005)"

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2022 12:24 PM

"These people have long memories. My bet is that, within two years, you’re going to read something about me in a scandal that looks like it has nothing to do with the church.” (Paul Haggis, 2011)

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2022 2:34 PM

There was a blind item a couple of years ago about a Scientologist actress that worked a lot specifically so she could give the money to the cult. Moss was the popular guess because she works constantly. She averages like three movies a year for the last 10 years, in addition to her TV stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2022 3:05 PM

Aaron Smith-Levin says there are only 30,000 active Scientologists worldwide currently, and they only 150 "churches" worldwide. And the number of adherents is decreasing all the time.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2022 4:08 PM

I worked at a non-Fox studio in the late 90s, and my boss was a Scientologist, one who had given a lot of money to the Clams. We once had to attend some management seminar, that was a thinly veiled Clam recruitment front. I tried reading Dianetics in high school, because I saw hot older men reading it on the El, but it didn't make a lick of sense to me.

The only good thing was that he knew a lot of famous Clams, his wife was BFF with Kirsty Alley. Nancy Cartwright once came to the studio and did Bart Simpson prank calls over the intercom. One of the best days I ever had at work.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2022 4:21 PM

Beck is surprising normal for a person raised in Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2022 7:00 PM

I like how the "Early Life" section of Moss' Wiki page downplays her involvement in Scientology.

"She was raised a Scientologist."

When most people hear "I was raised X," they think you're not X anymore. For example, I tell people, "I was raised Catholic."

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2022 2:34 AM

Brandy was a Scientologist at one point too. She paid a fortune to leave and most references to her involvement in Scientology have been scrubbed from the internet, but you can find a few if you dig.

by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2022 2:36 AM

R44 the only recent projects I can think of that would rake in a lot of cash for her are The Handmaids Tale (obviously), The Invisible Man remake, and Us. For the most part, she does a lot of indie movies that I can't imagine are paying a whole lot. This is fairly common for actors (not movie stars)—they do a few big studio movies here and there so they can afford to fuck off and act in lower-budget passion projects. Still, Moss no doubt is cutting a lot of checks to the CoS.

by Anonymousreply 50October 22, 2022 2:47 AM

Las Vegas living Ant is in Scientology? That fact that he live-in N. Las Vegas and has NO career should be reason enough for him to leave the "church"

by Anonymousreply 51October 22, 2022 6:08 AM

It's shocking how many seemingly intelligent people are gullible enough to let themselves get snookered by that cult. I can understand someone raised since birth in it, but adults who get into that con job outfit must be the saddest people imaginable. But thankfully it appears that a large majority of people who were in CoS have fled, if they only have 30k members worldwide. 30k nitwits who need someone else to tell them every move to make, and apparently who enjoy being hold hostage.

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2022 11:48 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 22, 2022 1:48 PM

R52 - it’s shocking how any sane, educated person can get snookered by ANY religion (aka cult).

by Anonymousreply 54October 22, 2022 1:56 PM

There are many cults and cuLt like groups out there. Commercial schemes, therapy cults, small controlling churches, big religious sects, political cult groups, some quIte small and so small you have not heard of them . People from all educational and class groups, races, ages, fall for them. This is proven in the sociological literature on cults. I think for those recruited into cults (not born into them) the most common characteristic is that they encounter the cult during a period when they are under psychological stress and are feeling life lacks direction or meaning. In the old days cults had to actively recruit, now they can just reach out via a presence on social media or a webpage. The old fashioned way is still used. Start up a conversation in the line at the supermarket, invite the lonely college student in their first semester to go on a retreat. I was approached by two gay guys I knew and asked if I wanted a “free yoga lesson” around 25 years ago. I was naive enough to say yes and went to this church in Chelsea. I was then told, inside in an orientation session, it was “chanting yoga”. I was told it might completely change my experience of the world. I was too nice to leave and ended up with about 100 people chanting for an hour. Afterward there was a reception. The cult members surrounded me and I had to actually push my way out in order get to the door and out to the Chelsea sidewalk.

Gay men soliciting gays to Asian chanting yoga cult in Chelsea. Who would have thought?

by Anonymousreply 55October 22, 2022 2:04 PM

There was a big effort in the 2000s to recruit black celebs.

by Anonymousreply 56October 22, 2022 2:14 PM

R50 I think the idea was more that she takes all the work that she can get to get whatever money she can to give to the Co$.

by Anonymousreply 57October 22, 2022 2:18 PM

R50 The Invisible Man wasn't a remake.

by Anonymousreply 58October 22, 2022 2:51 PM

I guess Laura Prepon could be added to the list.

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2023 10:31 PM

But, Prepon still hasn't denounced her pal Danny.

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2023 10:34 PM

[quote] Also, Chloe Fineman from SNL is in, if not yet mentioned.

I wonder if Fineman was aware of this sketch SNL did years ago where they parodied the "We Stand Tall" video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2023 10:38 PM

Kirsty Alley is dead. She has gone to her own planet, now.

by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2023 10:41 PM

I wonder how much $ the bart simpson lady donates. She’s as rich as Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2023 10:51 PM

R9 Yeah, something like two decades ago, I remember seeing some document put up on the internet showing that Michelle Stafford was already at Operating Level OT VI. So she could be well beyond that by now in the organization.

In 2021, she was featured as one of the storytellers at this event.

I wonder what kind of "Christmas Stories" Scientologists tell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2023 11:00 PM

I don't think Lisa Marie Presley is a member anyone. I suspect that death ended her involvement in Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2023 11:49 PM

Very few things disappoint me more in a celebrity than finding out they are Scientologists. Elizabeth Moss probably being the prime example. And now Chloe Fineman? Jeez Louise! She seems too smart for that. I guess you just never know. How can a smart person believe the utter garbage that this cult expects their members to swallow?

But when you really think about it, aren’t all organized religions a bit dodgy? I was raised from birth in a teeny, tiny church in Canada. When people ask me what denomination, I don’t really have an answer for them. It was vaguely Southern Baptist, vaguely Quaker. With a sprinkle of Pentecostal thrown in for good measure. Speaking in tongues, getting “saved” at the altar yet again every Sunday. Not full on” buttons are a sin”, but dancing and going to movies sure were! Too “worldly” don’t you know! VERY fire and brimstone. EVERYONE was going to hell except the people in that little church and those who thought exactly like them. Basically we were there because my blood aunt’s husband was the minister and my mother felt obligated to take us there. I still to this day suffer the consequences of being raised in that environment at an impressionable age.

But it did give me a sense of community I guess. And family. I remember with fondness some of the outings, like picnics and what not. I get the yearning for that. And seeking answers to life’s tough questions. It resonates with me when people on here talk about feeling lost and lonely. And these cults prey on that. Who hasn’t felt lost and lonely at some point in their life? But why do they all have to come with so much negativity and brainwashing and groupthink? Why are they all so fear-based?

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2023 11:49 PM

I love when they describe criticism of the CoS as "bigotry". It's either very delusional (can they really believe that anyone takes them seriously?) or a very cynical abuse of other people's genuine belief in freedom of religion.

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2023 11:54 PM

R19, Karen Bass is a Baptist, has always been a Baptist, and has denied, time and again, the crackpot notion that she’s a Scientologist. She once spoke to a crowd of Scientologists (before she understood what whackos most of us think those people are), but that doesn’t make her one of them. Bass is a politician, and politicians look for votes where they can get ‘em.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 26, 2023 12:21 AM

R10 is a clam. They all claim you can be both a Scientologist and a (insert actual religion here) and in every instance an authority from the actual religion comes out with "actually, no, if you're a Scientologist than you're not one of us." They tried this with Katie Holmes and Catholicism and some priest or bishop made a statement that that's not how it works.

by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2023 12:32 AM

In:

Judy Norton from The Waltons

Dr. Berg from YT fame.

Marcus Coloma, ex-Nikolas Cassadine on General Hospital

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2023 12:39 AM

Australian singer Kate Ceberano is a clam.

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2023 1:01 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2023 1:28 AM

I wonder if Chloe Fineman is a second gen clam?

by Anonymousreply 73September 26, 2023 2:01 AM

I think Michael Pena is still in.

by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2023 2:02 AM

Christianity is just as kooky but at least they generally let you leave when you want to.

by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2023 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!