Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Lost Boys' cast confirms homoerotic undertones

It may have opened in theaters 35 years ago by our calendars, but The Lost Boys is eternally youthful. That's because new generations keep discovering Joel Schumacher's 1987 vampire picture — newly available in a 4K UHD release from Warner Bros. — and drinking up its kooky blend of gonzo storytelling, goth fashion and barely-latent homoeroticism. (Who can forget that shirtless sax player?) And Lost Boys co-star, Alex Winter, confirms that those are the essential ingredients that contribute to the movie's eternal success.

"We were all on the same page," the actor tells Yahoo Entertainment when asked if the cast and crew were aware they were making a horror movie that openly flirted with LGBTQ themes. "Everyone was very aware of what Joel was doing and very supportive of it." (Watch our video interview above.)

Having gotten his start in the acting business by treading the Broadway boards in the early ’80s, Winter remembers being exposed to New York City's vibrant gay culture scene well before he showed up on The Lost Boys set to play vampire gang member Marko. "It wasn't necessarily my world — I'm straight — but it was a lovely community, and they were the closest family I had," he remembers. "And Joel had an enormous reputation preceding Lost Boys as a New York fashion icon. So it was not subtext. It was really evident what he was mashing up and how he was doing it, and to me it's a beautiful part of the movie."

Winter also notes that it's only within recent years that the rest of pop culture has finally caught up to where The Lost Boys was nearly four decades ago. "Now we have RuPaul, and we have all these things where gender fluidity is more open. But there was gender fluidity in the ’80s ... I had friends who were trans. Joel's attitude was: 'Let's swing for the fences on with this movie.'" (Schumacher died in 2020, after a long career as one of Hollywood's most prominent out gay directors.)

Speaking of swinging, head Lost Boy, Kiefer Sutherland, remembers spending lots of time doing just that, from a harness, while shooting the movie's grand climax. In a Yahoo Entertainment interview for the release of the action thriller, The Contractor, earlier this year, the actor described that sequence taking two days, while his bloodsucking alter ego, David Powers, battled the movie's almost-vampish hero, Michael Emerson (played by Sutherland's real-life friend, Jason Patric).

"It was the most intense kind of stunt work that Jason and I had done," Sutherland says, laughing. "We were in these harnesses, and if it looked like we collided at 40 miles an hour. It's because we actually collided at 40 miles an hour! I was hung by four strings and he was hung by three, and as we would collide they would get tangled. And those strings were sharp! They were so thin... you could cut your hand off."

The Lost Boys was filmed before CGI revolutionized cinematic special effects, but there is a bit of digital trickery that happens after David meets his end on the pointy side of a set of antlers. "For half of the shot going into the antlers, I had a beard," says Sutherland. "And as I died, I went back to being a young boy before the vampires got me. My beard was gone and my hair started to change. It was the early days of those kinds of effects, and I remember thinking that it was going to look cool."

Unfortunately, there were no digital assists when it came to David's vampire appearance, which required Sutherland to wear oversized contact lenses that could have done some real damage. "They were actually very dangerous," he says now. "We were only allowed to wear them for about five minutes, because they sucked out all the oxygen from your eyes and they would dry up. So they were awful, but you know [make-up artists] Ve Neill and Greg Cannom did that movie, and they went on to win Oscars. I was 18 at the time and didn't know how lucky I was to be working with those artist. So I'm grateful in hindsight, but when I was 18, I was complaining a lot."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2022 1:49 AM

Informed of Sutherland's complaints, Winter immediately one-ups his former leader. "I love Kiefer to death, but he has no business talking about the contact lenses," the Bill & Ted franchise star says with a laugh. Instead, Winter insists that his own death scene at the hands of Sam Emerson (Corey Haim) and the Frog Brothers, Edgar and Alan (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander) was far more painful.

"I'm hanging upside down, and then Corey [Feldman] stabbed me with that really bad collapsible spike, which you can see as clear as daylight in the movie," Winter remembers. "I hit the ground, and then Haim, Feldman and Jamison all start screaming and kicking dirt at a hundred miles an hour into my face with those giant-ass 1980s contact lenses there were basically like a ping-pong ball cut in half! They scratched my cornea and almost blinded me. It was EMT, ambulance, hospital — the whole nine yards. And here's Kiefer whining about contact lenses. Give me a break!"

It may have taken 35 years, but the Frog Brothers are ready to fess up about which of them was the primary sand-kicker. (Haim died in 2010.) "Maybe it was me, and I feel bad if it was," Newlander says. "If it was me, I'd feel terrible," Feldman chimes in. "I don't imagine doing anything like that on purpose!"

Feldman goes on to say that a "scuffle" between the three younger actors may have been at the root cause of Winter's injury. "We were kind of mad at each other, not cognizant of the fact that Alex was hanging there with those damn contacts in his eyes. So he was having a rough day and of course we're in our own world being selfish kids not thinking about the fact that there's this poor guy hanging upside down for every take and that we should probably get through this as quickly as possible! So there were some missed avenues there. Apologies, Alex!"

Fortunately, no one got injured in the Frog Brothers's other major scene — an extended dinner sequence where the duo and Sam try to expose kindly video store owner, Max (Edward Herrmann), as being the vampire coven's sire. Those attempts include generous helpings of garlic and other tell-tale signs of vampirism.

"I really love that scene," Newlander says now. "And part of the reason why I love that scene — I'm gonna be honest — is because that next day Joel pulled me aside and he was like, 'I just watched the dinner scene and you were so great in it.' That scene also has one of my favorite moments in the movie where [Dianne Weist] says 'Edgar Alan Frog?' That took us 20 takes to get right! And then my voice cracked on one of the takes, and we all laughed."

Meanwhile, Feldman says that sequence offered him the opportunity to make Edgar stand apart from his brother. "That was one of the first moments where I seriously thought about Edgar's physicality and mannerisms," he recalls. "I remember making this choice to do this thing with my fist, and keep it perched for the whole scene, like it meant I was in business or something. I don't know where that came from, but I definitely remember that being a poignant moment."

Both actors also share poignant memories of Schumacher from their time on The Lost Boys set. "He was very humble, very sweet and very parental with us," Newlander says. "When we would walk in every day, he would be so excited to see us," Feldman adds. "He would say, 'I love my dudes!' and then give us a big hug. Every day was a celebration, although he also had his moments where he'd get mad and frustrated."

"The last time I saw Joel was in 2006 at a film festival in Spain," Feldman continues. "It was really nice because we got to see each other as peers. I'll also never forget the time when he invited me to his home to lecture me about the way I was dressing! He had some issues with the fact that I was wearing all black clothes. When we did the press junket for The Lost Boys, I was wearing black gloves, a black hat and black sunglasses. And he was like, 'What's up with this look you've got going on here?' That was pretty funny since he ended up becoming the director of Batman!"

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2022 9:58 PM

One of my absolute favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2022 10:09 PM

Personally, I think the most homoeroticism came from the interaction between Jason Patric and Cory Haim.

Those two were all over each other!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2022 10:11 PM

I love that pic^.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2022 10:19 PM

Sutherlands story makes no sense. Vampires don't age, so him reverting to a young boy when he dies is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2022 10:24 PM

I like Jami Gertz, but I think her acting in this is awful. Her first line and she can't even say her name convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2022 10:27 PM

Jason Patric helped me figure out some stuff as a gayling.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2022 10:28 PM

What about this, R7?

Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2022 10:37 PM

I was all about Billy Wirth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2022 11:46 PM

R8 I love him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2022 11:56 PM

The blond vampire in OP's photo had an affair with Julia Phillips during the making of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2022 11:59 PM

The themes with which the movie flirted in 1987 were gay themes. Not INITIALIST themes.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2022 12:13 AM

What are initialist themes?

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2022 12:20 AM

LGBTQWTFBBQ+, r13

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2022 12:21 AM

Gotcha, yes. You’re right.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2022 12:27 AM

[quote]I like Jami Gertz, but I think her acting in this is awful. Her first line and she can't even say her name convincingly.

Agreed; I re-watched the movie recently & it's still a campy, fun (if ridiculous) watch, but she really is the weak link of the story. Aside from her horrible acting, in no way is some manic pixie girl hanging with bad boy Kiefer. Even then, she was more like the president of the local mean girl sorority.

I forgot too what sex on a stick Patric was; I know he had drug problems, but he just disappeared even though IMDB appears to indicate he's still working.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2022 12:28 PM

The soundtrack was great and enhanced the viewing experience.

There's a sequel called The Lost Boys 3: The Thirst which has Corey Feldman's character as the lead, but it wasn't well received, and the production company went bankrupt resulting in any future sequels (with werewolves) being scrapped. I thought it was entertaining enough. Corey Haim had a brief cameo in the end credits ( ... and then he died).

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2022 12:48 PM

^oh yeah, I forgot about the soundtrack - it was great. I remember having it on cassette tape and listening to it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2022 1:12 PM

R6/R16 miss the point of Star, a bit. She’s *meant* to be this wispy, ethereal, alluring but barely-there figure of desire. She’s a honeytrap to lull and draw Michael into David’s world, so that David can eventually have his way with Michael. If David or one of the boys had approached Michael, they would have scared Michael off. Star is useful to the vamps precisely because she comes across like a hippy-dippy drippy sort of girl, the type that moody sulky prettyboys such as Michael erroneously believe they can overpower or save.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2022 12:16 PM

Joel Schumacher made a movie about hot young male vampires trying to convert a hot young dude and it had gay undertones? Now that is breaking news.

For what it's worth, Alex Winter always pinged to high heaven for me. I actually got to meet Patric years ago and even though he was nearly 20 years older by then he was still sex on a stick. He just radiated it. I've met lots of handsome celebrities through work, but he's really the only one I remember being so sexually raw.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2022 12:25 PM

Please, without Jami Gertz that movie could have been released by Catalina Video in the 80s. Could it BE any gayer?

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2022 12:27 PM

Dianne Wiest blew every other actor off the screen in this film. She gives a masterclass.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2022 12:29 PM

Was she the one who played the lesbian mom?

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2022 12:31 PM

The mom wasn't lesbian, that's why the Head Vampire was wooing her. Yes, that is Dianne.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2022 12:34 PM

Jami is married to a billionaire now, so no need to try to act anymore.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2022 12:35 PM

R17 for the most part THE THIRST was utter dreck, nothing like the original.

However, I will say that both Haim and Jamison Newlander in their small roles were good, and the choices made with their characters were really interesting (spoiler, not that anyone cares: they’re both turned vamp). I think if this movie had been brave enough to ditch the idea of being a sexy action horror popcorn flick, and instead get aerious and focus on the mature brotherhood/friendship of the Frogs & SAM becoming twisted and complicated by succumbing to the very thing they’ve always tried to fight, it could have been a worthy sequel.

There’s a tie-in comic book called REIGN OF FROGS that bridges the gap between the original movie and this one, which is also sort of interesting and has more of a vibe I’d want to see from a continuation of the story. Still not perfect or what I’d choose, but better than THE THIRST turned out by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2022 12:40 PM

Love this movie. Thanks OP for reminding me to rewatch it!

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2022 12:50 PM

[quote] Jami is married to a billionaire now, so no need to try to act anymore.

Well, no. She has to act 24/7/365 pretending to be in love with and sexually attracted to said billionaire. Must be exhausting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2022 1:53 PM

^R28 cute that Jami still wears an earring style that Star would.

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2022 2:41 PM

Corey Feldman's a lying little shithead trying to extol and gas up dead Schumacher at this late stage. Major backtrack from him.

In the Lifetime biopic from a few years back (A TALE OF TWO COREYS) that Corey wrote and had made about his & Haim's life (who greenlit that and threw money at it, I do not know), he depicts Joel only as a sour controlling humourless child-bullying queen without an ounce of warmth or people skills. Feldman even has the Haim character at one point amusingly but meanly call Joel 'Chewbacca' (which tbf does sound like something Corey H. would come up with), presumably referring to their perception of the man's beastly personality.

Meanwhile, Feldman made Michael Jackson in this film look like a self-sacrificing gentle fawn of a soul too pure for this world. The backwards hagiography is unreal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2022 3:12 PM

[quote]LGBTQ themes

The Lost Boys had Trans overtones??

Maybe homoerotic overtones but nothing to do with Lesbians or Trannies.

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2022 3:22 PM

^There's a case to be made for Sam Emerson being dyke-coded (not actually a lesbian or T, before anyone comes for me).

Case: he thinks the hot dark sexy boys in his town are evil monsters, he is very attached to his big ferocious dog, he volunteers and hangs out at a local nerd stores, he has a classic butch haircut and he sometimes wears this brightly-coloured duster exactly like one owned by my ex-gf's gfs. He also has no friends except two deranged unfuckable manboy teens who will clearly never pose any kind of sexual threat or challenge to him, and will make him look the better choice to any girl that happens to come around. All very dykecore if you ask this lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2022 3:29 PM

I only watch Davidi DeCoteau movies for this kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2022 4:12 PM

[quote] I actually got to meet Patric years ago and even though he was nearly 20 years older by then he was still sex on a stick. He just radiated it. I've met lots of handsome celebrities through work, but he's really the only one I remember being so sexually raw.

Now you know why Corey Haim was so attracted to Jason Patric.

They had so much chemistry on-screen. More like lovers, than brothers.

[quote] She has to act 24/7/365 pretending to be in love with and sexually attracted to said billionaire. Must be exhausting.

I don't think she has to pretend, R28.

Her husband is quite attractive in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2022 5:44 PM

Can you spare a square?

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2022 5:44 PM

Quintessential 80's camp movie but Jason Patrick was method acting in his own 50's noir indie..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2022 6:41 PM

Rewatching the movie as an adult Star seemed more like a live in nanny for Laddie than any kind of girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2022 6:45 PM

Star was only included in the story, to make the movie appear straight.

Take Star out of the equation, and what are you left with?

An all teen and twenty-something male cast, sucking on each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2022 6:54 PM

R37 ah yes, the old spicy misogyny. "Wo-man take Child and be responsible, while Man roam around and cause chaos". Same as it ever was.

Kathryn Bigelow's 80s vampire flick NEAR DARK, released the same year as THE LOST BOYS, is so much better for this. Bigelow includes two female vamps, Diamondback & Mae (played by Jenette Goldstein & Jenny Wright, respectively), in her main cohort, for a start, and neither woman is shown to be terribly maternal nor acts as the designated mother/nurse/babysitter for the 'child' vampire character (who's more an old man trapped in young body BLADE/IWTV style, but that's a whole other story). Also, neither try nor even really want that much to give up their vampirism (r: gay outlaw life) for a man, shiftless and lonely and rough as it can often be, though admittedly Mae is tempted by the idea of settling with normie Caleb (played by Adrian Pasdar) a time or two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2022 7:43 PM

[quote] I only watch David DeCoteau movies for this kind of thing.

Undertones? Sub...text? What the fuck is that?

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote] More like lovers, than brothers.

Can't it be both?

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2022 11:41 PM

Was too young to see this movie when it came out, and by the time I came to watch it as a preteen I identified more with the Frogs than the vamps. I was kind of a nerdy crustpunk loser and a late bloomer, so I got where they were coming from in seeing danger round every corner but wanting adventure like a kid. Badass, cool, nightstalking, delinquent headbanger types like the vamps were the kind to either ignore or bully me IRL, so I could never see the appeal.

Also, I thought Sam & the Frogs had a cute puppy-love/bromance triangle going on. I wanted them to be in a traumatised OT3 snuggle pile forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2022 12:20 AM

Have Kiefer and Jason buried the hatchet following the messy break ups/drugs/drama with our Julia?

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2022 12:24 AM

R43 - I wonder who gave what to whom first.

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2022 12:48 AM

R41 There was a heavy pedo incest vibe between these two..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2022 2:23 AM

R45 If this was mio fratello en braccia..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2022 2:34 AM

I bought the 4K recently and rewatched it, and the movie is still lots of fun to watch. It still appears to me that it was edited down to get it around 90 minutes (back when movies could still be 90 minutes). There is a good deleted scene where Dianne Wiest's character is taunted by the vampires. It makes them more intimidating and threatening.

Corey Haim was such a good actor when he was younger. This was one of his last A-list films and he was perfect in this.

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2022 2:44 AM

For R43.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2022 7:34 AM

I've noticed Haim seems attracted to Patric in the film too.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2022 7:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2022 8:06 AM

Bit creepy and unfair posthumously to ascribe sexual voracity the young abused teen Haim was then. He’d already been serially raped by different adult men for a few years by the time he shot this movie. Can we have a modicum of respect and consideration for the poor kid? As R47 says, he was a good actor, not just a pincushion.

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2022 1:16 PM

[quote] An all teen and twenty-something male cast, sucking on each other.

R38 I can’t remember or find the source now, but I once read this great critical book about horror, which posited that fangs in the neck were essentially a proxy for penetrative sex without the Hetero connotation. Thought that was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2022 2:38 PM

Stealth gay movie.

It needs to come back as a television series now, just like "Interview With the Vampire."

Except this time make it OVERTLY GAY, and not just subtly gay.

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2022 3:25 PM

Everything is gay bait. Because secretly almost all men would love to know what it feels like to taste and take a cock. THE END!

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2022 3:33 PM

It was one of the featured TNT Summer Favourites in 1995.

The channel even got a drunk flirty 25 year-old Haim & Feldman to present it and give some commentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 13, 2022 3:39 PM

Wow at R55.

Both Coreys were looking old and bloated at that point, and they were only in their mid-20's!!

by Anonymousreply 56November 13, 2022 3:46 PM

R56 even more depressing: the young Haim we see there would be dead just 14.5 years later. Poor guy didn't even make it another 2 decades.

They actually do seem like affectionate friends or brothers in that clip, even if they are loaded. Wonder how much of that is acting, and how much is genuine.

by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2022 4:00 PM

Jason Patric was off the charts in the sex appeal department. I was 13 in 1987, and if I was that physically close to Jason, I'd be all over him too, he was so goodlooking and brooding and, so much sexual energy... JP made me thankful to be a gayling with a very fertile imagination. :-)

by Anonymousreply 58November 13, 2022 4:10 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 59November 13, 2022 4:15 PM

[quote] Jason Patric was off the charts in the sex appeal department.

But he's so sauceless. Jason just seems so vacant of any emotional drive, at least when he's acting.

In THE LOST BOYS, Michael is just a vapourous hunky cipher who doesn't project anything interesting: none of the sharp menace or lost-soulfulness of a Kiefer; or the boyish mischief and naughtiness of an Alex Winter; or the silent glamourous cool enigma of a Billy Wirth.

by Anonymousreply 60November 13, 2022 6:03 PM

[quote] Jason just seems so vacant of any emotional drive, at least when he's acting.

He seemed to have great chemistry with Corey Haim, especially when they were flirting with each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 13, 2022 9:21 PM

Corey loved getting close with Jason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 13, 2022 9:22 PM

Newspaper article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 13, 2022 9:26 PM

Candids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 13, 2022 9:27 PM

R53 - Wasn't that basically Dante's Cove? Or did you mean something watchable?

by Anonymousreply 65November 13, 2022 10:26 PM

The point of all Two Coreys movies is to have homoerotic undertones, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2022 2:29 AM

If Haim’s character in The Lost Boys is straight, why did the character have a huge poster of Rob Lowe in his bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2022 4:08 AM

I wonder if Corey Haim had a taste of this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 14, 2022 4:42 AM

Jason talks about his relationship with Corey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 14, 2022 6:39 AM

[quote] Dianne Wiest blew every actor off screen in this film. She gives a masterclass.

There, fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 70November 14, 2022 11:33 AM

R19, exactly- Star is unconvincing because she's nothing more than a lure, a less baleful version of The Lady in Lavender in Phantasm.

by Anonymousreply 71November 14, 2022 11:52 AM

So relieved Spielberg didn’t end up directing as was originally planned. He wanted to make another Goonies, only have it be slightly supernatural-themed (so basically, a proto Stranger Things).

Sometimes, you need a slightly perverted gay madman like Schumacher to get gold.

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2022 1:07 PM

[quote]If Haim’s character in The Lost Boys is straight, why did the character have a huge poster of Rob Lowe in his bedroom?

Yes, I noticed that too - and a mostly naked Rob too!

Had his life not going horribly off-course, it's hard to say if Haim would've made the transition to adult actor, but seeing the cute kid that would've been a natural on those cheesy Disney TV shows and knowing how it all ended makes watching this movie a bit sad. Hard to believe that Kiefer was the only real & lasting star out of this movie

by Anonymousreply 73November 14, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote] Hard to believe that Kiefer was the only real & lasting star out of this movie.

Maybe it's just me but I find Kiefer so boring to watch in every other role besides this one. My eyes slide off him when he's onscreen. It took giving him an enigmatic and technically soulless part like David to get his acting to work for me. Kind of the same as with Tammy when he played Lestat.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2022 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!