Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brooklyn Heights has been taken over by celebrities, displacing normal rich people

When did Brooklyn Heights become more popular than West Village? This is getting weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2022 1:02 PM

Brooklyn Heights offers grander architecture and a deterrent to tourist mobs.

Double win.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2022 7:05 PM

An amusing article about the history of one of the neighborhood's grandest houses and its link to the camp riot that is the trashy 1970s horror film "The Sentinel".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2022 7:09 PM

Has Patty Lane been displaced?

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2022 7:11 PM

I blame Truman Capote.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2022 7:13 PM

....but Patty's only seen the sights a girl can see in Brooklyn Heights.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2022 7:18 PM

R3, no, but a hot dog makes her lose control.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2022 7:19 PM

One of those celebrities bought my childhood home.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2022 7:19 PM

Well, at least the Jehovah Witnesses are gone, I’m sure anyone there will take celebrities over them any day.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2022 7:20 PM

[quote]a hot dog makes her lose control

A veritable prototype for your average Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2022 7:21 PM

A great neighborhood, one of the best. Worth the premium to live there. Great architecture, quiet side streets, glorious views of the Manhattan skyline. If you're forced to use public transportation, every subway line is within walking distance.

Park Slope? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2022 7:23 PM

Anyone who's ever been in one of these homes can only see how craftsman of the past took pride in their work. The woodwork alone is perfection and sturdy to this day if you maintain it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2022 7:25 PM

craftsmen*

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2022 7:25 PM

Fewer fags.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2022 7:27 PM

R3- I would not be too concerned because a HOT DOG still makes her lose control.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2022 7:31 PM

Brooklyn has never been a place for transplants.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2022 7:33 PM

I always wondered what the fuck the people who wrote the Patty Duke Show's lyrics were thinking.

Patty's only seen the sights a girl can see from Brooklyn Heights? What, you mean the biggest city in the United States at the time?

A hot dog makes her lose control? Where is she inserting it?

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2022 7:33 PM

That Patty may live IN the city, she is not OF the city.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2022 7:36 PM

R17, yeah, but Brooklyn Heights was notoriously aristocratic on one side and bohemian on the other. Everyone from the Stuyvesants to Arthur Miller and Marylyn Monroe lived there around the time the show was set.

Did the bitch live under her bed?

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2022 7:41 PM

As was Cobble Hill where Churchill's mother was raised

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2022 7:43 PM

[quote]its link to the camp riot that is the trashy 1970s horror film "The Sentinel".

In what other film do you get to compare the boobies of Sylvia Miles and Beverly D'Angelo?

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2022 7:50 PM

R16- New York is STILL the biggest city in the United States- 8.8 million approximately.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2022 8:08 PM

Is this area as progressive as Park Slope?

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2022 2:43 AM

It’s Brooklyn so it’s all pretty progressive but Park Slope has more screeching obnoxious SJW types.

Brooklyn Heights is definitely quieter and more contained than the West Village. I can see why celebrities would prefer it. It really is beautiful.

Have the homeless invaded though? When I worked close to Brooklyn Heights pre-covid, I never saw the homeless bothering anyone in that neighborhood. Maybe a few people asking for change outside the Clark street station but that was really it. They seemed to all congregate around Jay Street-Borough Hall. And the Fulton Mall area. Yeesh.

I wonder if that’s changed at all.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2022 3:11 AM

I used to live in BH. The promenade was very cruisy.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2022 6:37 AM

Weren’t they completely rebuilding the promenade as it was eventually going to collapse on the BQE? I thought the area was to be in disruption for years?

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2022 10:08 AM

"Brooklyn Heights has been taken over by celebrities"

Oh, thank god. I hated her on Canada's Drag Race.

Who's the celeb? Tell me it's not Tori Spelling's husband.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2022 10:23 AM

It does make sense as a celebrity enclave due to its relative isolation and quiet. Personally, I wouldn’t choose to live out there. Yes, you can always take a subway. But in the West Village you can walk to everything you want and midtown is a 10 minute taxi ride. I found living in Brooklyn was kind of like living in suburbs - always had to allocate a lot of time to getting to “the city” where most of my appointments were - work, medical, social.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2022 12:48 PM

Brooklyn isn’t a White Haven like Manhattan or Staten Island. I love the transplants move here thinking it’s all white because TV shows the city like that and they are shocked by POC.

Should have moved to Manhattan baby.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2022 1:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!