Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rod McKuen Was the Bestselling Poet in American History. What Happened?

Of course I thought he was ridiculous at the time since I was a culture snob. Dick Cavett called him "the most understood poet in America". But as one gentler critic said of his popularity, "he exposed the banality at the core of our souls".

“Of course he wasn’t out,” said Stephanie Burt. In that era, she said, a queer person who wanted to become, and stay, famous, had three choices. “You could be studiously asexual and try to be famous for something else, so that people just wouldn’t think about who you slept with. You could be really just flaming, out there, and obviously super gay. You could be Liberace. And that the third way, which is the way that that McKuen seems to have chosen, was to be soft-focus, small-R romantic and carefully nonspecific.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2023 12:28 AM

Can't help but like the guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2022 4:31 PM

May this thread have a long life...... Thanks OP . Who knew him? Who had him? etc....

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2022 5:17 PM

Rod judged the Miss America pageant that Vanessa Williams won. He said even if I knew about the photos I still would’ve voted for her she was the best one.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2022 5:32 PM

Nirvana doing McKuen's "Seasons in the Sun".

Rod's stuff was so sincere and unironic it was made for punk treatment but by then Rod was in self-exile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2022 5:53 PM

I remember reading Rod Mckuen. I had no idea then that he was gay. Or that i was.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2022 7:06 PM

R5 Same here!

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2022 7:22 PM

That was a great article R1 , 🙏

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2022 7:28 PM

[quote] Bestselling Poet in American History

TS Eliot disagrees. TS Eliot has never been out of print.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2022 7:50 PM

[quote] "he exposed the banality at the core of our souls".

Should we praise him for that?

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2022 8:01 PM

Nothing says "I don't believe in labels" like a fistful of Crisco!

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2022 8:11 PM

R10. That's AMOR!

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2022 8:14 PM

R3 The pinnacle of his cultural contributions, apparently

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2022 8:15 PM

[quote] The pinnacle of his cultural contributions, apparently

No, this is:

I get off on you.

Really.

I don’t know if it has to do with age or getting older or what.

But for a while I thought I was never going to find anybody who was tuned in on the same wavelength as me.

Or maybe somebody I could tune in with.

It sure feels good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2022 8:22 PM

I had this 45 as a kid. Probably one of my father’s tag sale finds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2022 11:16 PM

Now who doesn’t love some ‘Disco’ FFun?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2022 11:19 PM

Men loving cats? This poem about his lost cat Sloopy went a 60s version of viral. On a side note, McKuen claims authorship of the movie title Midnight Cowboy. He also had several imaginary sons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2022 11:40 PM

His books were in every single thrift store in the US in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2022 11:42 PM

A Boy Named Charlie Brown - great voice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2022 11:56 PM

From Rod's oeuvre...."I once knew a man, who worked from nine to five, just to pay his monthly bills was why he stayed alive, so keep your country cottage, and your lawn so green, I just want a one-room pad where I can make the scene. I belong to the Beat Generation, I don't let anything trouble my mind. I belong to the Beat Generation and everything's goin' real fine.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2022 12:20 AM

R16. Um, wouldn’t that be James Leo Herlihy…who wrote the damn novel?

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2022 12:43 AM

R20 Rod lied and embellished so compulsively he paid no attention to what could easily be fact-checked, and neither did his fans apparently.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2022 12:59 AM

Hey R19.....here it is....Lyrics by Rod

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2022 1:05 AM

At the Oscars.

Spoiler alert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2022 1:23 AM

He was a pansy and always enjoyed a cockatoo. Mine and my boy toy of the month

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2022 3:33 AM

I loved the Theme from “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.” “Jean, Jean roses are red All the leaves have gone green …”

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2022 3:40 AM

He had a bonnie rod.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2022 4:04 AM

R23 He's quite handsome in that clip. And Marlo was still pretty.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2022 4:26 AM

He wrote the English lyrics to Brel's "If You go Away". A classic.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2022 4:28 AM

His poetry was the inspiration for Suzanne Somers's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2022 4:36 AM

This is actually a good song - although I never knew what it had to do with the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. The words don't seem to have anything to do with the film. Horrible poet. Easy on the eyes for the time period, though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2022 6:47 AM

That article at R1 is fantastic.

I have no idea who this guy is. None. And I'm pretty up on pop culture, past and present. But I've have never heard of him. Not even a whisper.

Now I must learn everything.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2022 7:38 AM

Dusty Springfield - If You Go Away

It really is a pretty song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2022 3:10 PM

Oliver singing "Jean".

With dream sequence.

So fabulously 1969.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2022 3:17 PM

"Listen to the warm" What?

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2022 3:42 PM

'and the hills are ablaze with the moon's yellow haze' sounds dire

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2022 4:00 PM

Thank you guys for posting “JEAN” - that is one of those “.makes your heart hurt songs” - it’s like jumping in a time machine and sitting in the backseat of my parents car on a long trip and they have the radio on.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2022 6:50 PM

What a blast from an early Gen X childhood. In my mind, his soft-focus poetry volume is next to Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I don't remember ever seeing him on TV and had no idea he wrote songs, let alone that cheesy gem Seasons in the Sun. Or that Nirvana covered it.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2022 7:14 PM

When I was a kid, I'd listen to KHOW (that's 630 on your AM dial) late at night. Sometimes they'd ask a trivia question about the song they'd just played and if you were the first caller with the correct answer, you'd win some miscellaneous record. I ended up winning three or four. One of the times they played *Jean* and asked who wrote it. The problem was that my mom got off work at 11:00 and would be driving home and would hear my name on the radio and know I was still up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2022 7:16 PM

Re: the article at R1 . There must be something wrong with me, but I don't hear much similarity at all between "The Blank Generation" and "The Beat Generation." Certainly not enough for me to believe Robert Christgau's jaw dropped when he heard them in succession.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2022 7:27 PM

I read this article last night and it has stayed on my mind today - so many years shut away between fame and death. Why is it that I can picture Pete and Trudy Campbell on “Mad Men” sitting by the fire in Cos Cob digging on some “Rod McKuen.”

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2022 9:47 PM

Rod's record collection...... approx 17 min in

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2022 10:05 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2022 10:05 PM

Even as a send-up that Nirvana cover is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2022 10:23 PM

Elder gay here. Haha. My sister still has a copy of his first book of poems ….Listen to the Warm…. Like excerpts of journals from whiney middle schoolers…

A favorite line we still use « …… you remember the name of your favorite candy bar but not the day your best friend died . »

George C. remembers Twix, but not when Susan died.

Another fave line: « …… and if in bed you never turn away .. w »

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2022 10:38 PM

[Quote]Of course he wasn’t out,” said Stephanie Burt. In that era, she said, a queer person who wanted to become, and stay, famous, had three choices.

He wasn't queer, bitch. He was a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2022 11:23 PM

R33 I consider it poor lyric-writing when you stress the same word 'Jean' four times in two lines.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2022 11:25 PM

Rock topped Rod in the 70's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2022 11:26 PM

R42 Petula Clark is in that video at 25 minutes saying he writes shallow, sexist, demeaning lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2022 11:40 PM

Oh, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2022 11:42 PM

So, was he really kinky?

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2022 11:43 PM

He had joy, he had fun.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2022 11:46 PM

R45. I wonder if she actually said queer, it's not in quotes. From Burk's wikipedia page:

In 2017, she transitioned to female.[12] She has since been active in LGBTQA+ rights and awareness campaigns.[13]

by Anonymousreply 52October 15, 2022 11:48 PM

I never heard of this guy until today. How awful this is and the album was at the top of the charts for ages. A drag show could make good use of this tripe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2022 12:01 AM

R53 I'll take that kitsch-fest any day over no-talent Amanda Gorman

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2022 12:30 AM

R37, I'm R31.

I had no idea this guy existed before this thread, but I was a HUGE Nirvana fan when I was young! (Still am). I remember their cover of Seasons in the Sun, and being amazed that the coolest band in the world covered such a cheesy song. I also remember secretly loving that cheesy song!

I'm lowkey obsessed with McKuen now. This is exactly why I love this place. You can learn so much here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2022 12:45 AM

Another one who was huge in the 1960s and completely forgotten today is Richard Brautigan.

Wrote poetry and every college student in the late '60s read "Trout Fishing in America".

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2022 1:19 AM

Rod McKuen wasn't a poet. He wrote verse.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2022 1:22 AM

[quote] 'and the hills are ablaze with the moon's yellow haze' sounds dire

It does, but that's not the actual lyric.

It's "And the hills are ablaze/ With the morn's yellow haze" which makes much more sense.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2022 1:23 AM

Frankie recorded a whole album of his songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2022 1:32 AM

OOOPS.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2022 1:35 AM

I'll get it right one of these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2022 1:36 AM

One mo' time: Italian heartthrob Sergio Franchi sings "Jean" .

Here it sounds very Broadway, like a Burton Lane melody, a tune from "Finian's Rainbow" or something like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2022 1:37 AM

Thank you R56. Richard Brautigan had a huge influence on me way back then.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2022 3:10 AM

[quote]Rod McKuen wasn't a poet. He wrote verse.

But WAS he verse?

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2022 3:35 AM

R55, I was into Nirvana, too, and think I must've seen them pre-fame on the Pacific Northwest I-5 circuit.

Seasons in the Sun is a touchstone. It was such a big hit, I can still see the 45 label, and then we became ironic teenagers/college kids and it was a love/hate joke. Of course Nirvana covered it.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2022 6:26 AM

I can't decide if he was attractive or not but he did have a nice twink body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2022 6:48 AM

Rod & Robert Wagner dressed up nicely

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2022 6:58 AM

Was Jean meant to be Gene? And Michelle in Seasons in the Sun code for Michel? Did McKuen have a Gene and a Michel in his life who went up him and cause Sloopy to leave him?

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2022 7:16 AM

[quote].It's "And the hills are ablaze/ With the morn's yellow haze" which makes much more sense.

Nope. It's moon. And 'morn's yellow haze' doesn't make sense either, unless they're aerial spraying pesticides and fertilizers maybe.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2022 1:00 PM

In early 1969, my older brother, who was a very minor film critic, took me to a press screening of “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie” in New York. McKuen was there for a post discussion. Lean man, tousled sandy hair, casually dressed, open shirt showing a hairy chest. Spoke with a raspy voice, as if he’d smoked a lot.

Looking back, he seemed like a kind of Bohemian free spirit. I was never that much interested in poetry anyway, even though his books were popular more among college girls. This was about 6 months before Stonewall; so gay was not a widely used term.

I remember feeling attracted to him. I was 20, and very unsure of myself. But, somehow that raspy voice seemed out of place. He seemed to be older than he wanted to look. He was 35 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2022 1:46 PM

P.S.: I thought the song was pretty, but had nothing to do with the film. Serious story about a fanatic teacher. Nothing romantic about it. Weird placement.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2022 1:53 PM

So Robert Wagner had Rod as well?

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2022 2:04 PM

My favorite McKuen line:

I have never known a cat that couldn't calm me down just by walking slowly past my chair.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2022 2:37 PM

In his time, serious literary people had nothing but contempt for him.

They resented and envied his popularity.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2022 2:39 PM

He's wretched.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2022 2:44 PM

I so loathe queer-speak when referring to gay men, particularly gay historical men to whom the word queer had quite a negative and threatening connotation. That aside this is an interesting read.

McKuen's comments are typical of the period in which he lived. He suggests he was bi (untrue), he lied that he had a bio son, he referred to his long-term partner as his "brother" (in a spiritual rather than bio sense), etc.I don't fault him for any of this.

At the same time he was active in many gay organisations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2022 3:08 PM

One more article and it's veeery long but pretty much sums up all you need to know about this strange, enchanted boy, Without being insufferably dismissive, It explains the difference between the simplicity of McKuen and a poet like Mary Oliver, also known for using simple, straightforward words by comparing two poems with the same subject, dogs. You read both poems and know which author really HAD a dog and which merely looked at one and discussed his feelings about looking at it.

Includes an exhaustive account of McKuen's lies and evasions. I think my favorite whopper is when he told a journalist that critics hated him so irrationally that they negatively reviewed a book of poems he hadn't even written yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2022 4:17 PM

His choice of words was in no way profound.

R42 and R48 shows that plucked words out of the air if they contained the right number of syllables.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2022 8:50 PM

the article at r77 points out that RM lied that he had 2 bio kids in France which is classic DL. He's dating in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2022 8:58 PM

Can’t help but love his type of wispy easy listening late 60’s pop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 13, 2023 9:38 PM

R1, wonderful article. Thank you for sharing. Gotta love him

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2023 12:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!