Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Martin Sheen

Let's discuss the great American character actor Martin Sheen.

His roles include The subject of Roses, Catch-22, Badlands, Apocalypse Now, Gandhi, The Dead Zone, Wall Street, Gettysburg, The American President, The West Wing, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, The Amazing Spider Man, Selma, Judas and Black Messiah, and Grace & Frankie.

By all accounts, Sheen seems like an intelligent and classy man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2024 7:25 PM

American actor Martin Sheen on Desert Island Discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2022 4:01 PM

[quote] great American character actor

No, not 'great'.

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2022 5:14 PM

R2 what he is then?

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2022 5:55 PM

An ordinary performer on screen who's appeared on stage about 5 times.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2022 6:00 PM

I have always enjoyed him as an actor and have a lot of respect for this talent but I don't know if I would describe him as intelligent. He believes some pretty wacky shit.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2022 6:06 PM

He has as much sex appeal as the late Alan Ladd.

Not much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2022 6:12 PM

Young Martin was HAF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2022 6:17 PM

I saw him perform The Normal Heart in London in spring 1986. Played Ned. Was amazing. Fantastic performance.

It was at the Royal Court Theater in Chelsea before moving to a bigger theater in the West End.Sheen departed when it moved to the West End and Tom Hulce joined the cast as Ned.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2022 6:39 PM

Real Name is Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez.

He is a Catholic zealot who embraces the Marianist Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 9October 14, 2022 6:44 PM

Not sure I'd consider him a "character actor." But I like him.

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2022 6:47 PM

Oh, OP. If you haven't managed to learn the truth about Mr. "Sheen" I'm not going to be the one to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2022 6:58 PM

I realize parents are not responsible for the adult children, but anyone who raised a drunken/drug addicted, crazed maniac like Charlie Sheen cannot be taken seriously

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2022 6:59 PM

Badlands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2022 7:01 PM

Making Badlands (1973) Interviews with Martin Sheen,Sissy Spacek and Jack Fisk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote] a drunken/drug addicted

The most lively scene in that over-long grandiose mess called 'Apocalypse Now' was live footage of him being 'drunken and drug addicted' and thrusting his hand into broken glass and blood dripping over him.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2022 7:07 PM

Sheen's best interview. It's hilarious when he cracks up at Dame Edna admonishing the audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2022 7:14 PM

[quote] Real Name is Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez.

He shunned his father's name and cultural heritage.

While there's another performer here on Datalounge who would have been an empty shell if he abandoned HIS name and cultural heritage—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2022 7:14 PM

Cyd Charisse's real name is Tula Ellice Finklea. Why don't you pile on *her* for disguising her Austrian heritage?

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2022 7:26 PM

The first movie I saw him in was a movie called "Sweet Hostage". I was about 10 or 11. Its kind of a creepy movie, but he and Linda Blair are great.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2022 7:26 PM

He was so good in Badlands. I love it at the end where he charms the cops… like a young Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2022 7:37 PM

Played gay in 1972 in That Certain Summer, one of the first made-for-TV movies ever produced.

He and Hal Holbrook played lovers.

That Certain Summer aired on ABC on Nov. 1, 1972.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2022 7:48 PM

Love him for Badlands.

His Catholicism is liberal and progressive, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2022 7:54 PM

^

Don't ask me.

Ask a Marianist; they believe the cult of Mary (the mother of Jesus) is more important than the cult of Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2022 9:04 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2022 9:09 PM

His son, Ramon, is a faggot, and he took him to the same shrink I was seeing to cure him of his pred-dill-erection toward the same sex

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2022 9:16 PM

He a died in the wool Democrat and as liberal as they come.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2022 9:22 PM

Bishop Sheen— such an inspiration! A guiding light!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2022 9:22 PM

Played a creepy but hot perv opposite Jose Foster.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2022 9:23 PM

I liked him in the Dead Zone as Greg Stillson. He picked up a little girl and used her as a human shield. Stillson was a POS and Sheen played the part wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2022 9:39 PM

He's one of the rare actors that nailed a Boston accent and that was in The Departed. The other is Diane Lane in The Perfect Storm.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2022 10:25 PM

He was hot when young. Despite his fervent Catholicism he supports the gays. Someone here a couple of years ago said that he and Emilio attended a Pride parade in Malibu or Santa Monica (or some other adjacent town.)

It’s unfortunate about Charlie but the other kids seem relatively well-adjusted for Hollywood spawn. I am fairly certain even Charlie knows he is way beyond the fringe.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2022 10:43 PM

I only did one movie with Emilio.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2022 10:49 PM

R30 I agree. Probably from his Irish Catholic upbringing

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2022 11:19 PM

Martin and his wife were NUDISTS during the whole time their children were growing up. Charlie has said that he would have friends over and his parents would be nude. So, don’t wonder too hard where Charlie got his problems.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2022 11:56 PM

I just posted r34. This just reminded me of Larry Hagman and his creepy hot tubbing with his nude teenage kids and their friends. Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2022 11:57 PM

He looks like he has rat teef.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2022 12:03 AM

He has a great throaty laugh.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2022 12:08 AM

R21- That Certain Summer is pretty tame for its time but still a brave choice by Sheen to play gay.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2022 12:09 AM

Charlie seems to have gotten his act together, well as best as Charlie Sheen can get his act together. At least he's not in the news every other day for some insane statement or action these days.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2022 12:53 AM

I enjoyed his performance in "The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane"

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2022 12:59 AM

He's gay

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2022 1:01 AM

R41 Really?

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2022 2:12 AM

Martin has perv face.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2022 3:51 AM

I love him. Don't agree with everything he believes, but he seems to live his life with integrity.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2022 4:07 AM

Martin loved Elvis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2022 4:15 AM

elevator scene with Charlie in Wall Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2022 6:34 AM

R46 They were great. Oliver Stone said he wanted an actor who had instant integrity and a strong moral compass. It was between Jack Lemmon and Martin Sheen.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2022 5:12 PM

I like him as an actor. His hair was an odd color in The Way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2022 5:19 PM

He was in a very strange but creepy movie called The Believers about a creepy cult.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2022 6:26 PM

[quote] an actor who had instant integrity and a strong moral compass

That’s the perfect way to put it and I think a large part of his appeal - and why (aside from being his father, obviously) that was such good casting. Thank God they didn’t cast Jack Lemmon..

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] Thank God they didn’t cast Jack Lemmon..

Yes, he was patron saint for rubber-faced circus clowns.

[quote] an actor who had instant integrity and a strong moral compass

Yes, you could see the bitter tears of Saint Mary and all the other saints seep from his pores of his flesh.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2022 4:06 AM

Did anyone ever the rumor that Martin and young Charlie used to fuck guys together.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2022 8:48 AM

I think R52 started the rumor.

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2022 7:14 PM

An honest guy

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2024 2:10 AM

He is Martin Sheen!

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2024 2:12 AM

Both Martin Sheen and Eric Porter won the British Academy Television Award for Best Actor, Sheen in 1984 for Kennedy and Porter in 1968 for The Forsyte Saga.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2024 2:19 AM

Real drama queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2024 2:22 AM

What's wif his teefs?

by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2024 2:25 AM

Jack Lemmon would’ve been so much better in Wall Street.

by Anonymousreply 59January 28, 2024 2:36 AM

I've enjoyed in several things, but I find his wildly overpraised turn on THE WEST WING repellent -- self-satisfied, delivering every Sorkinism as if it just came down from Mount Sinai, pretentious beyond belief.

by Anonymousreply 60January 28, 2024 2:44 AM

Craziness runs in his family. From him.

He seems really uptight.

by Anonymousreply 61January 28, 2024 2:50 AM

[quote] pretentious beyond belief.

and self righteous

by Anonymousreply 62January 28, 2024 2:51 AM

One of his first roles was an episode in Route 66. He was 21. They combed his hair forward, which gave him a really weird look. I didn't even recognize him at first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 28, 2024 3:04 AM

He played a Momma's boy soldier in The Outer Limits episode "Nightmare".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 28, 2024 3:12 AM

He IS Martin Sheen!

by Anonymousreply 65January 28, 2024 3:17 AM

God. This putz.

Martin Sheen is not and never was a "character actor." He has been an idiosyncratic lead, and now he's old so he plays parts a short ex-lead gets.

by Anonymousreply 66January 28, 2024 3:19 AM

Great actor

by Anonymousreply 67January 28, 2024 3:25 AM

I've always liked him, but then I saw this weird blind item last spring. Guesses are either Arnold Schwarzenegger or Martin Sheen.

From AGC, April 18, 2023:

[quote]The Buzz: This actor has been A+ list. All of you know who he is. The whole world knows who he is. He has had difficulties over the years, but nothing compares to the storm that is emerging behind the scenes. No one, including the actor knows for sure if he ever was involved with this murdered teen [italic](“Vatican Girl” Emanuela Orlandi)[/italic]. However, he was around enough of other teens at the same time the murdered teen was there. Our actor was having sex with these teens and women in their early 20's. Our actor was a huge supporter of this massive untaxed organization [italic](“Roman Catholic Church“)[/italic], not named Scientology. He had just reached A list status and was just on fire career wise. The leader of the organization [italic](Pope John Paul II)[/italic] invited him to a special audience. Afterwards, and whenever the actor returned over the next couple of years, he would partake in what were known as purity parties. It was a way for the leaders of the organization to appear pure to the world, while having their sexual needs and wants and fetishes fulfilled. Women of the organization were forced to participate. Sometimes things got out of hand and accidents happened. One of those is in the news a lot over the past two weeks. Our actor had no involvement in that accident, but no one wants him associated with being there at that time and are hoping this all stays completely secret, so he can continue to pretend he was never present at any of the purity parties. [italic]“Vatican Girl” Emanuela Orlandi/”Roman Catholic Church”/Pope John Paul II (Disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi) (Pope Francis slams ‘offensive and baseless’ insinuations about John Paul II and missing girl) (Arnold Schwarzenegger (Just 1 Percent)) (The story of how Martin Sheen convinced the Pope to condemn Gulf War shows the power of faith)[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 68January 28, 2024 3:27 AM

He adopted his stage name, Martin Sheen, from a combination of the CBS casting director, Robert Dale Martin, who gave him his first big break, and Catholic archbishop and broadcaster, Fulton J. Sheen.

by Anonymousreply 69January 28, 2024 3:29 AM

One of their worst episodes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 28, 2024 3:46 AM

Martin in The Outer Limits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 28, 2024 6:38 PM

He was good in the TV movie "Catholics," wherein he played an 'enforcer' sent by the Vatican to crack down on some traditionalist monks who continued to use the Tridentine Rite at Mass. Perhaps his staunch religious beliefs gave him a one-up into the psyche of his character.

Was lucky enough getting to paw Ava Gardner as her boytoy in the film "The Cassandra Crossing."

Far more handsome and a much better actor than any of his offspring.

by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2024 7:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!