Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amsterdam projected to lose nearly $100 million

The biggest flop of the year....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 12:15 AM

Mein bro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2022 12:46 AM

I didn't see a single commercial or advertisement for this movie. If it lost money, the studio is to blame

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2022 12:53 AM

We tried to watch it on Saturday; spent 90 minutes trying to watch it and the plot was so stupid and all over the place I couldn't figure out what the point of the film was. We gave up, it's nonsensical and boring.

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2023 4:50 PM

It looks awful. I couldn't even make it thru the trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 4:55 PM

It was a DOA.

I’ve already discussed this in other threads but I enjoy having the discussion.

To me, movies like Amsterdam and Babylon are very outdated. They are these contrived Oscar bait all-star cast movies that would have only worked in the early 2000’s.

They’re like Carlos Santana’s “Supernatural” album. Clive Davis said let’s take all the Grammy award winning producers and songwriters for the album and make formulated can’t go wrong songs for the radio market.

That’s what Amsterdam is to me.

It shouldn’t deter studios from making original movies, it should deter movies from making Hollywood bullshit.

Granted, “Knives Out” was Hollywood bullshit but I don’t think lighting struck twice on that one with the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 5:00 PM

Anything that looks like something George Clooney would love and direct is bound to be a total bomb.

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 5:00 PM

This thread was made before Babylon came out. That is the biggest bomb of last year and recent history.

I'd like to make a prestige film that takes place during the Harlem Renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 6:03 PM

Margot Robbie is just dropping bomb after bomb. Her career is in freefall.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 6:13 PM

So if Babylon is a huge bomb, and Amsterdam was a huge bomb, is Margot Robbie "in danger gurl? "

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 6:22 PM

I watched it a few weeks ago. Didn’t like it, but it wasn’t the worst I’ve seen. DeNiro did a good job and it was nice to see him actually act again. Bale was also good. John David Washington was just there. He wasn’t charismatic, charming, or especially likeable. He didn’t have much chemistry with Bale or Margot Robbie. I didn’t buy them as three inseparable best friends.

Chris Rock was actually the best part of the movie to me.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 6:23 PM

I think her Barbie movie will be a hit. When’s that come out? Women will go see that one.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 6:24 PM

Christian Bale just did not age well--he looks so strange now, and he was so handsome when younger. All those yo-yo weight gains and losses did a number on his face (and probably his metabolism to boot).

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 6:40 PM

Robbie got critical praise for her performance in "Babylon," and I agree "Barbie" will likely be successful, so I don't think her career is in free-fall at all.

But she needs to stop only playing whacked-out women for a while--she's played Harley Quinn sorts of roles too many times.

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 6:41 PM

Still a whole lot better than Babylon!

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 7:14 PM

To me Chris Rock gets increasingly better as a dramatic actor. He has really honed his craft.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 12:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!