Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just discovered fabric softener

I never used fabric softener before. Figured I give it a try—and it’s pretty great.

Is it ruining my clothes somehow?

What’s better—the liquid you add to the wash or the dryer sheets?

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2022 3:23 AM

It will give you a rash—and you’ll smell like a cheap drugstore cosmetics counter. It doesn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2022 3:00 AM

I am terribly allergic to it now. If you get rashes and itchiness, you'll know where they came from. I just deal with the static zapping nowadays. It's better than the maddening itching I get from softeners and dryer sheets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2022 3:01 AM

Bounce is for Republicans; Snuggle is for whores. Downy is for Southern ladies with good reputations and intact hymens.

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2022 3:02 AM

[quote]Just discovered fabric softener

OMG, just wait until you discover Cheez Whiz!

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2022 3:18 AM

I use both. Downey in the wash, Bounce sheet in the dryer to prevent static

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2022 3:20 AM

It's like floor wax.

Garbage with chemical perfumes.

And it ruins the absorbency of your towels.

Why do Americans crave nasty, fake aromas in everything?

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2022 3:23 AM

^ it's also a delicious dessert topping!

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2022 3:25 AM

When I walk my dog in my suburban neighborhood, the houses that use this shit reek. The dryer vents intensify the cheap smell and blow it out to the street. Unless you smell worse that that perfumed crap, it’s just more unnecessary chemicals in your life.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]Just discovered fabric softener

No, you didn't, Columbus!

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2022 3:33 AM

Using vinegar is a better fabric softener.

If your fabrics are not soft, buy better fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2022 2:30 PM

The problem is vinegar smells rancid

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2022 4:28 PM

[quote]Downy is for Southern ladies with good reputations and intact hymens.

So NO ONE ON EARTH uses Downy anymore????

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2022 4:34 PM

I come from a Downy family who used it on everything, even rags. My mother used to buy it every time she went to the store, I remember we had about 8 bottles one time.

I start getting antsy if I have less than one Costco-sized bottle, but only buy it when it’s on sale there.

I also use Bounce in the dryer & even add a 2nd sheet if it’s a larger load.

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2022 5:01 PM

Ecozone do a fully-biodegradable fabric softener with natural scents that I like. They also sell a special towel softener that doesn't affect the towels' absorbency. It's great for line drying; saves using the tumble dryer.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2022 5:09 PM

For r13:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2022 5:10 PM

OP, it imparts vulgar and cheap fragrances and destroys the feel of fabric. But you do you.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2022 5:12 PM

If you want to avoid stiff air-dried towels, simply dry them for 5 minutes in a hot dryer then hang them. Just the brief blast of hot air fluffs the fibres.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote]I use both. Downey in the wash, Bounce sheet in the dryer to prevent static

I use this same combination. Some of my clothes are 20 years old and still in perfect condition. Will continue to do so.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2022 5:18 PM

I use eco-friendly liquid softener in every load. I have no allergies to it, I can't find any indication that its damaging my mostly cotton fabrics, I like the smell, and will continue to use it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2022 5:19 PM

Love your post R7.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2022 5:20 PM

Next up, Cheez Whiz and Mountain Dew.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2022 5:21 PM

Kelly Ripa swears by this laundry guy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2022 5:23 PM

Vinegar doesn't smell once dry and helps remove lingering detergent from fabrics. I love it but understand why others do not.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2022 5:26 PM

I don't use it, OP. Nowadays, static electricity is the only excitement I get out of life.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2022 5:27 PM

For nifty orange-scented laundry, toss ½ cup of TANG® breakfast drink mix in your dryer with your laundry.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2022 5:34 PM

I discovered Febreze.

But, its odd smell lingers for days, gives me a headache, and makes me feel light-headed. So I undiscovered it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2022 5:41 PM

I stopped using liquid fabric softener because it was leaving oily spots on my clothes (due to my washing machine's malfunctioning dispenser). I now only use Bounce sheets in the dryer.

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2022 5:55 PM

Unscented and uneverythingelse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2022 5:59 PM

Line dry all my laundry. NO static cling when you line dry. Neener, neener, neener.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2022 6:07 PM

Fabric softener is déclassé.

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2022 6:32 PM

There are people I encounter who reek of fabric softener the way some people reek of perfume or cologne. I can only imagine how much they’re using.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2022 7:08 PM

They have spiked balls that you put in the dryer that replace fabric softener, I have never tried them but no chemicals seems attractive and they have a 4.4 out of 5 rating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2022 7:15 PM

Smelling like fabric softener is something trashy people think is classy.

Fabric softener is basically grease that coats the fibers of your clothing. If you are using a dryer, you don’t even need it. Eventually it builds up and traps odors. As someone else said, if you want softer clothing, buy better fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2022 7:39 PM

Detergent removes grease from your wardrobe.

Fabric softener just adds it back in.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2022 7:43 PM

Have you discovered washing your feets yet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2022 7:45 PM

I use Bounce on everything except dishtowels and cleaning rags. I do use it on my bath towels because it makes them a lot softer.

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2022 7:48 PM

R32, I tried the spiked balls and they dent up the inside of my dryer

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2022 8:31 PM

Fabrics are scratchy without a dryer sheet.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2022 8:33 PM

I am freaked out that Gain has a detergent that they intentionally market as 'extra scented'. Gain is pretty strongly scented as it is. I only like unscented detergent, no fabric softener however, the lady who does my laundry has different ideas.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2022 8:40 PM

Not only do I disliked scented laundry, I do my wash with extra rinse and spin cycle.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2022 9:08 PM

One of my colleagues uses the scent balls in addition to strong-scented detergent and fabric softener. It's too much, especially when she wears perfume as well! She's so used to it, she must've gone nose-blind.

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2022 9:10 PM

Well that's the thing. I dislike laundry product fragrances but adore fragrances and perfumes. Don't mix these. I don't use scented soaps, either. Just edts and edps. By the way one must spray these on fabric to get much sillage nowadays so washing clothes is the opportunity to remove all odors from them.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2022 9:14 PM

Ironing clothes softens them nicely.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2022 9:42 PM

R29 and I bet it smells heavenly. Line dried sheets are incredible and softeners have never duplicated the scent. It just smells really fresh.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2022 9:54 PM

I love the scent of laundry with my clothes. I use downy and bounce with a tad bit of vinegar.

You guys saying it smells are not aware of how musty your clothing smells. I have a friend who doesn't use scented anything and I can't sit closer than a few feet away as she smells like mildew.

I'm too old to give a fuck if anyone think my clothing smelling good means I'm "trashy." I like it. I'm not here to please anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2022 10:29 PM

[quote] You guys saying it smells are not aware of how musty your clothing smells.

If your clothing smells musty without fabric softener and dryer sheets, then that's a separate issue.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2022 10:33 PM

[quote]OP, it imparts vulgar and cheap fragrances and destroys the feel of fabric. But you do you.

I stand with that arbiter if taste, R16.

It just seems so very common. And you can smell the stuff lingering in the damp air outside American homes, on clothes...a sickly sweet smell meant to smell - somehow - "fresh.".

What is the point of it? It makes natural fiber things feel polyester, and smell bad.

It's unknown where I live, where there are maybe a half dozen brands of laundry detergent and one or two types of each brand. In the U.S. it would be a life's work to try all the varieties and types in a grocery store laundry products aisle - and for what?

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2022 10:47 PM

Yes, r44, there is nothing like the fresh smell of line dried laundry.

If I win the lottery, my newly hired staff will be line drying all my laundry as well.

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2022 11:09 PM

Six pins, Dolores! Six pins, not five!

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2022 1:48 AM

It has been said it can break down natural fibres, yet I still use it for my washable sailcloth slipcovers, and my linen-blend curtains. The softener helps to not only cut down on wrinkles, but also provides a bit of stain resistance to fabrics. I had a dog when I had the slips made, and it was both practical, as well as cleaner.

My boyfriend at the time had a geriatric Rottweiler as well, who did not take kindly to baths. The fragrance was a welcome addition to the upholstery. I only like the yellow Suavitel scents, and I probably use less than half of what is recommended. I don't use softener for my clothes.

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2022 5:18 AM

If your friend smells like mildew, that means they're leaving their wet clothes in the washer for too long before transferring to the dryer. No fabric softener can fix that.

by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2022 4:11 PM

The best smelling detergent I know is Purex for Baby. Dermatologist-approved!

I use it for all my bedding and bath towels.

by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2022 4:32 PM

Tide has a nice scent

by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2022 4:45 PM

Takeaway from R50 geriatric Rottweiler stank PLUS cloying fabric softener fragrance is better than geriatric Rottweiler stank alone.

by Anonymousreply 54October 10, 2022 5:22 PM

I use unscented laundry detergent. I stopped using fabric softener when I mover out of my parents house and couldn’t afford it. I don’t miss it. I actually prefer rough scratchy bath towels.

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2022 5:31 PM

The Rottweiler was probably very cute

by Anonymousreply 56October 10, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote] "It will give you a rash—and you’ll smell like a cheap drugstore cosmetics counter. It doesn’t help."

My college costume design professor is highly anti-fabric softener due to its chemical content, and deems it unnecessary. Of course, we didn't use it in show laundry anyway. She's also a vegetarian, so it's just a part of her overall demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 57October 10, 2022 6:34 PM

My name is Sue and I am a boy and I am in the 4th Grade. I got new shoes and 2 shirts and 1 pants for Back to School! Don't worry I have lots of other clothes. I don't understand this thread. I asked my mommy about soft fabric and she said stop being a pansy Sue, and go outside and play with the other boys.

by Anonymousreply 58October 10, 2022 6:41 PM

I like a rough towel and always hang laundry in the sun…Fabric softener is greasy, smelly, and reminds me of people who fry food at home and never air out. Also hate that cat litter that stinks like fabric softener. So plastic!

by Anonymousreply 59October 10, 2022 7:10 PM

Don’t masturbate with fabric softener. You dick will never get hard!

by Anonymousreply 60October 10, 2022 7:36 PM

I also just started using fabric softener this year - much prefer it now.

by Anonymousreply 61October 10, 2022 7:37 PM

R54 & R56 Yes to both!

R52 I'll have to get a whiff of that Purex now. I use original Dreft for bed linens, and blankets. Clean and very light hypoallergenic scent.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2022 1:27 AM

Dryer sheets. So much easier plus it gives my laundry another rinse cycle with clean water instead of liquid softener. Arm & Hammer scent free dryer sheets. Check them out.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2022 1:32 AM

All is all you need - free and clear detergent and dryer sheets.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2022 2:54 AM

I always use Downy liquid when I wash jeans so they come out soft

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2022 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!