Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Pumpkin Eater (1964)

I have seen this film mentioned in comments, but could not find a good thread on it. Let's discuss.

Directed by Jack Clayton

Written by Harold Pinter

Music by Georges Delerue

The Players- Anne Bancroft, Peter Finch, James Mason, Eric Porter, Richard Johnson, Maggie Smith, and Sir Cedric Hardwicke.

It has the formula for an excellent British classic, but is the whole greater than the sum of its parts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Note- I have not seen the film and want to know DL's view before I purchase the Blu Ray.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2022 8:45 PM

You make no mention of Yootha Joyce?

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2022 8:48 PM

R2 Sorry! I didn't think she was a household name like the others!

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2022 8:49 PM

Yootha Joyce should have been nominated for Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2022 8:55 PM

R4 Why? What is her role?

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2022 10:51 PM

Goodness. Look at that cast. And Harold Pinter, no less.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2022 2:24 AM

This grim, cold movie was supposed to star Patricia Neal.

There are too many interesting stars in the supporting roles who interrupt the central husband & wife drama.

The main husband & wife drama is helped by the always-reliable Peter Finch but hampered by the misplaced Italian Anna Maria Italiano.

R6 Harold Pinter's writing is too cold and odd to support a major popular movie but he's responsible for this wild scene below which I get my students to rehearse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2022 2:33 AM

This arid, empty thing was such a disappointment coming after the rich, detailing of The Innocents.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2022 3:31 AM

So Ann Bancroft is "misplaced" because she's Italian-American?

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2022 3:38 AM

She's misplaced because she can't speak Harold Pinter's language (Patricia Neal might have been equally uncomfortable in the role.)

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2022 4:11 AM

[quote] Pinteresque

Something having a sense of menace and featuring dialogue marked by many pauses.

Pinter has pauses, silences, repetitions, irony, oxymorons, paradox, vagueness, reference failure, semantic ambiguity, and decontextualization.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote] an excellent British classic, but is the whole greater than the sum of its parts?

No. The parts are more interesting that the assembled footage.

I wish someone got all the discarded off-cuts and reassembled it with MORE of Maggie Smith and MORE of handsome Richard Johnson and MORE of the always-interesting Peter Finch.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2022 9:14 PM

I can never tell the difference between Penelope Gilliat and Penelope Mortimer.

And wasn't there another trouble-making intellectual Penelope in that particular milieu?

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2022 9:17 PM

R10 Then why did you make a point of calling her by her real (Italian) name?

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2022 2:06 PM

How are they eating this Pumpkin? Pies? What does it mean?

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2022 4:38 PM

R15 It's taken from the nursery rhyme, Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2022 4:41 PM

I completely disagree about Bancroft. She's superb in the film, winning the Best Actress at Cannes and getting an Oscar nomination. Her English accent is impeccable. Also she provides some earthiness in the role to counteract the coolness of the script.

Other than James Mason, I don't know what "stars" in the supporting cast are supposedly taking focus from the two leads. Maggie Smith was not a real star in 1964 when the film was released, and her role is pretty small though she plays it very well. Yootha Joyce makes a more powerful impression than Smith.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2022 6:26 PM

R17 Well I saw the movie years ago and the only person I remember from it is Bancroft, so I don't get what the person was talking about either.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2022 7:16 PM

They'll be remaking it as "The Pumpkin Spice Eater."

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2022 9:06 PM

Richard Johnson was HOT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote] Richard Johnson was HOT

Kim Novak said he was as hot as Tyrone Power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2022 11:26 AM

So, is it worth a watch?

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2022 12:18 AM

After 40 years of watching films, I only heard of Yootha Joyce for the first time last week and here she pops up again in my life! Funny how that happens.

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2022 12:44 AM

R23 That's funny. It is like when someone asks if you've seen a certain commercial. You answer no, but then see that commercial all the time.

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2022 12:45 AM

I saw it years ago but had to turn it off. Too depressing.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2022 12:53 AM

R25 really?

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2022 12:56 AM

You know how bitchy the English can be..

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2022 1:15 AM

I wouldn't advise you to buy the movie without seeing it first. I've tried to cultivate an appreciation for Pinter, but I can't always fathom what he's trying to do. It's an odd film with odd characters.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2022 4:52 AM

How is the score?

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2022 2:37 PM

A young Yootha Joyce looks like Zara Tindall.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2022 3:02 PM

OP/R22, yes it's definitely worth a watch.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2022 7:54 PM

You can watch it on TV but it's grim, cold and not at all ENTERTAINING.

It was supposed to star Patricia Neal and there are too many interesting stars in the supporting roles who swamp the central story of the unhappy husband (played by the Peter Finch) and the odd, unhappy wife (played by Anna Maria Italiano who changed their name to "Anne Bancroft".

Harold Pinter's writing is too cold to support a major popular movie.

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2022 8:27 PM

Is this a remake of "The Biscuit Eater" (1940)?

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2022 9:31 PM

It's on TCM a few times a year. It's one of my favorite Bancroft performances.

by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2022 9:31 PM

R32 I love Anne Bancroft, why are you mean to her?

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2022 11:36 PM

I'm not being mean, R35, but she is miscast and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The story is a self-portrait written by a Welshwoman who's living in an English milieu (or social environment).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2022 11:43 PM

Anne Bancroft is staggeringly good.

by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2022 1:21 AM

Anne Bancroft is staggeringly wrong for the role.

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2022 1:30 AM

I bailed halfway through. It's chic...but ultimately boring. Peter Finch is here, as in everything, overrated. And you don't believe that Anne Bancroft would put up with that shit for a second. Not believable. She looks great though, in that great 60's, Mod meets Sloaney kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2022 3:45 PM

I love the 60s. All those downbeat, avant-garde, B+W white movies with unhappy endings.

One of my favorites is "The Misfits", which nobody got at all. They wanted Marilyn's tits falling out and her skirt blowing up. I like to think if MM had lived she'd have made oddball choices like Liz Taylor did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2022 5:00 PM

I don't think Anne Bancroft can be bad in anything

by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2022 5:01 PM

She wasn't bad. She was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2022 8:55 PM

[quote] And you don't believe that Anne Bancroft would put up with that shit

You might be confusing the character of the devoted Welsh wife with the character of a Hollywood movie star.

This little husband and wife story has been done over by Harold Pinter. And every dictionary will tell you that the word "pinteresque" denotes a sense of menace and featuring dialogue marked by many pauses.

by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2022 9:56 PM

Bancroft flew to London on her own dime to convince Clayton to hire her. He had been considering older actresses, including Deborah Kerr and Ingrid Bergman, who were closer in age to Penelope Mortimer, for the part.

by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2022 10:04 PM

Ingrid Bergman would have been so more convincing.

by Anonymousreply 45December 28, 2022 10:08 PM

This is the perfect movie for jaded cineasts. The only thing they want more than a well made film is the pleasure of being disappointed with the result.

by Anonymousreply 46December 28, 2022 11:15 PM

This is the perfect movie for middle-aged wives who are considering suicide.

You'll notice that the camera discreetly tracks away so we don't see her committing the act on camera.

by Anonymousreply 47December 28, 2022 11:19 PM

The movie is arty and somewhat alienating, but very watchable thanks to Anne Bsncroft, who gives a fantastic performance.

by Anonymousreply 48December 28, 2022 11:23 PM

Suicide? Not remembering this. The Wikipedia article says the movie ends with a tentative reconciliation.

by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2022 11:23 PM

You couldn't ask for a better cast for a 1960's movie

by Anonymousreply 50December 28, 2022 11:28 PM

[quote] Not remembering this

You have to use your women's intuition. The wife was a simpering devotee to a husband who was serial philandering adulterer.

You people who can't differentiate between a real woman and a Hollywood actress need to know that the author—

[quote] had frequent bouts of depression. In 1962, the same year The Pumpkin Eater was written, she became pregnant for the eighth time [!!]. at the age of 42 and already the mother of six, she agreed at the urging of her husband to have an abortion and undergo sterilisation. She is said to have been happy with the decision, but during her convalescence, she discovered her husband's affair with [another woman!] with whom he had a son.

by Anonymousreply 51December 28, 2022 11:34 PM

The script was written by Harold Pinter.

Stanley Kubrick asked Harold Pinter to write the script for the manipulative HAL Computer in '2001'.

by Anonymousreply 52December 31, 2022 8:01 AM

Is this movie a tear jerker?

by Anonymousreply 53December 31, 2022 2:27 PM

I find it hard to believe Anne Bancroft gives a bad performance

by Anonymousreply 54December 31, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote] Is this movie a tear jerker?

R53 The adoring 'Anne-Bancroft-Is-A-Diva-aficionados' think this film is a tear jerker.

But it isn't. It's a Harold Pinter script with a miscast woman in the main role.

by Anonymousreply 55December 31, 2022 9:48 PM

The wife, named Jo, was hopeless at expressing her feelings. And she was hopeless at apologising.

Afterwards, she repented it badly. What she always did, was to say that she was sorry for expressing them.

This was the kind of amends that costs nothing, and yet carries the built in rebuke that the other person is unable to bear the truth.

by Anonymousreply 56January 7, 2023 1:04 AM

Why are we hating on Bancroft? What about the others- Finch, Mason, Johnson, Porter, Smith, etc.

by Anonymousreply 57January 7, 2023 4:26 AM

For those that need to watch now:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 7, 2023 4:35 AM

Bancroft, Mason, Maggie Smith and Yootha Joyce are all excellent and even among all those Brits Bancroft's English accent is unobtrusive. The film is over-directed, and the heroine's problem is not really made clear and on the whole it's not particularly memorable. I much prefer 1963s The Servant directed by Joseph Losey with an original screenplay by Pinter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 7, 2023 7:05 AM

^adapted screenplay not original My bad

by Anonymousreply 60January 7, 2023 8:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!