Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Omen (1976)

Spooky season is now upon us! Let's discuss one the great horror films of all time.

Directed by Richard Donner

Music by Jerry Goldsmith

Starring Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, David Warner, Billie Whitelaw, Patrick Troughton, Leo McKern, Martin Benson, Holly Palance, and Harvey Stephens as Damien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2024 11:10 PM

I've always preferred this to The Exorcist and think The Omen is far scarier.

The Exorcist is just embarrassing at times.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2022 5:05 PM

The Omen is my favorite Gregory Peck performance. The scene where he is on the phone and gets terrible news. His look and face as he just lays down slowly.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2022 5:06 PM

R1 I think the music is creepier in here than in The Exorcist. The Omen has more believability.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2022 5:06 PM

Donald Trump is Damien.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2022 5:08 PM

This is a good film. That little shit was horrible to his nanny!

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2022 5:15 PM

R5 Which nanny? The normal one who hanged herself or the Devil's servant?

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2022 5:17 PM

Unbelievable and contrived that an American Ambassador would substitute a child in place of the one his wife lost without telling her. WTF! And what is the ambassador's wife doing standing on a step ladder to clean the chandelier in their large mansion? It's a glossy horror film with a death every 15 minutes and Billie Whitelaw is scary. It's The Exorcist meets Rosemary's Baby and it's nowhere near as good as the latter or should I say ladder? btw when Lee Remick falls several stories from the hospital room and crashes through the roof of an ambulance, she seems to have suffered only a bloody nose.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2022 5:17 PM

Garbage film. Trashy and dumb. This was a cash grab to run after the success of The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2022 5:18 PM

R7 and R* This film is not trash!

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2022 6:12 PM

Spooky Season is back! Let's discuss

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2023 4:47 PM

WHET to the DL poster who tried to make Maria Avedici Santoya happen?

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2023 4:49 PM

Only four posts for the obligatory Trump comment in every thread. Usually it's at least nine. Kudos to you.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2023 4:57 PM

It is The Omen!

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2023 5:01 PM

I preferred The Hymen. Far scarier.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2023 5:09 PM

Stuntman Alf Joint worked on both The Omen and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. In the latter he plunged 430 ft into the Reichenbach Falls doubling for Eric Porter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2023 5:10 PM

Using photography to predict death. Very exciting.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2023 5:16 PM

R1, How is The Exorcist embarrassing?

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2023 5:28 PM

Linda Purl gave one of the best performances by a child in The Exorcist. I believe she was nominated for an Oscarr.

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2023 5:30 PM

It's all for you Damien.....It's all for you!!!

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2023 5:30 PM

I believe it is Linda Blair, but what do I know, I love Rottweilers!!

"Your Mother sucks socks that smell"-SNL

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2023 5:35 PM

[quote] Using photography to predict death. Very exciting

At least 2 Twilight Zone episodes used the trope of recorded images predicting death. One uses a camera, another a tv set.

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2023 5:53 PM

“Hello sir. Sorry your wife had a stillbirth. I think I can rustle up another baby for you. . Save her the disappointment. “

“Why, of course, thank you. As long as it isn’t a devil baby from a dead jackal. Is it, btw? A devil jackal baby?”

“Noooooooo, sir! Of course not! No, no no…..”

by Anonymousreply 22September 4, 2023 6:01 PM

It is a technically good movie with great actors, beautiful cinematography, and an excellent score—but there's something about it that keeps me from revisiting it often. I am a complete horror film enthusiast, but for some reason "The Omen" is a film I am rarely compelled to rewatch. Not sure why. It's a lot more lush than "The Exorcist", but I do think "The Exorcist" is the superior film.

by Anonymousreply 23September 4, 2023 6:20 PM

Single handedly ended the tricycle market

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2023 6:26 PM

Only in your mind r24

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2023 6:35 PM

R25 = sarcasm deficienct

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2023 6:38 PM

What about when Lee Remick commits suicide by launching herself out of her hospital room window and falls onto an ambulance??

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2023 6:39 PM

R26 nobody but nobody can mind read your sarcasms in that text.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2023 6:40 PM

Not mine, Clarice.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2023 10:48 PM

R27, see R7.

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2023 10:49 PM

I could watch Gregory Peck read the phone book. To me he was a very handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2023 10:52 PM

My name is Damian, born just a few years before this movie. I wish the movie was never made. I was named after Saint Damian - there are three Saint Damian. Actually I love the movie and it gives me cache.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2023 11:03 PM

By the time this film was released, I couldn't tell Greg or Joan Crawford apart.

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2023 11:45 PM

Surprisingly the recent series Damien, inspired by The Omen, was really good. Too bad it ended to soon.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2023 12:09 AM

The comparison is really apples and oranges.

The Omen is a great devil-genre horror film.

The Exorcist is an excellent adult drama about midlife crisis and disappointment that uses the devil-genre horror film as a setting.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2023 12:25 AM

The Exorcist scared the ever-loving shit out of my 12 year old self. The music, 'Tubular Bells ' still does. I still can't listen it.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2023 12:35 AM

Spooky season is upon us!

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2023 11:40 PM

I liked the remake of The Omen. It wasn't as good as the original but it had it's scary moments.

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2023 6:13 PM

R38 it had a good cast, too. Mia Farrow

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2023 8:08 PM

Gregory Peck and Lee Remick brought class to the production

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2024 4:59 AM

[quote] Unbelievable and contrived that an American Ambassador would substitute a child in place of the one his wife lost without telling her. WTF! And what is the ambassador's wife doing standing on a step ladder to clean the chandelier in their large mansion?

You're complaining about plausibility in a movie in which the title character is the human offspring of the Devil and a jackal??

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2024 5:18 AM

R23 What are your favorites? I really enjoyed “The Conjuring” and “The Sentinel” as well as “The Changeling” with George C. Scott. Another one is “The Others” with Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 42June 7, 2024 8:07 AM

R42 Don't forget The Innocents with Deborah Kerr and Michael Redgrave

by Anonymousreply 43June 7, 2024 1:59 PM

Alan Alda and Barbara Parkins in The Mephisto Waltz.

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2024 3:16 PM

I really enjoyed the new prequel The First Omen.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2024 3:19 PM

I loved ghost stories and horror movies growing up. When The Omen was released my dad dropped me off at the theater and drove away. When I got to the booth they refused to sell me a ticket because I was 12 and looked even younger. I found a grandma aged lady on the back of the line who agreed to “accompany” me.

by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2024 3:39 PM

David Warner is the best part of this movie. I can't watch the plate glass scene.

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2024 5:07 PM

My mother was shocked that THE Gregory Peck would be in a film of this "stature"

by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2024 9:38 PM

Whatever happened to Holly Palance? She made a handful of films and disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 49June 7, 2024 9:58 PM

Richard Donner (born Schwartzberg) had a long and varied career. In the 1960s he directed just about every tv series. Then he moved into tv movies. Before "The Omen" he directed "Sarah T: Portrait Of A Teenage Alcoholic" and afterwards he directed "Superman".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 7, 2024 10:13 PM

Omen 2 is better: Lee Grant for the win.

by Anonymousreply 51June 7, 2024 11:05 PM

That scene where Mrs Baylock attacks Gregory Peck’s character was shocking for the time. That actress really “went for it”.

by Anonymousreply 52June 7, 2024 11:36 PM

R48 for Momma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 7, 2024 11:52 PM

I can’t approve of this film because I don’t condone those unfortunate outfit and headwrap that Miss Remick wears in the scene where they leave for and are driven to the church, and then Damien goes berserk (he couldn’t tolerate her fashion taste, either!).

by Anonymousreply 54June 8, 2024 1:54 AM

r54 why? Do you think it is racist?

by Anonymousreply 55June 8, 2024 7:53 PM

I love that big actors did horror and scifi. Whatever I think of Charlton Heston's politics, he made [italic]Planet of the Apes[/italic], [italic] the Omega Man[/italic] and [italic]Soylent Green[/italic]. I still watch [italic]the Omega Man[/italic] from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2024 11:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!