Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Farley Granger has to be the most underrated Old Hollywood male beauty

Whenever people talk about an attractive men from the Old Hollywood era they usually mention Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, and others. I personally think Farley was the most attractive man from that era. He was so pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 6:16 PM

You may find this thread of interest. There have also been seven more recent threads about him, primarily about his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2022 1:49 AM

Please OP!

Skinny as a skink.

Pendulous lower lip (like a loon's)

Tubercular chest.

An utterly passive demeanour.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2022 1:56 AM

Gee, OP, what a non scoop. Farley Granger is a DL glamour guy fav.

Why do people come up with such preposterous trolling headlines to start a thread? To provoke slapback like mine?

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2022 1:57 AM

Maureen O' Hara was twice as butch.

She put Farley across her knee to slap some sense into his flat buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2022 2:12 AM

Farley was passive.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2022 11:19 PM

He was absolutely sex on a stick in Hans Christian Anderson as the ballerinas husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2022 1:17 AM

^ He has no meat on his buttocks!

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2022 1:19 AM

He's kinda like the Rob Lowe, Ryan Phillipe and Keanu Reeves of his day. Very beautiful but not much there. Not at all a great actor but the camera loved him. Hitchcock and Nicholas Ray got good performances out of him. Rope and Strangers on a Train are important gay-coded films. They Live By Night was the prototype to Rebel Without A Cause and one of the earliest modern teen films. I liked Side Street and Edge of Doom too, great film noirs.

I find it interesting he was born rich but his family lost their wealth and his mom put him into the entertainment industry hoping to get something.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2022 4:03 PM

I recently watched that movie Farley and Shelley did together called Behave Yourself. That was the 1950s equivalent of generic, lukewarm romcoms just created to cash in on a celebrity PR pairing. Neither Farley and Shelley were very funny in it either. The cute little dog was the most talented actor there.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 11:50 AM

For a Mexican, he is just average. Desi Arnaz was a way sexier Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 11:54 AM

I saw him play Dracula at the Westport Playhouse in1978, as an 8 yo I was very impressed. Super handsome, would he have been in his 40s?

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 12:00 PM

Like Monty Clift, Farley had a subtle not quite straight presence, even when trying to butch it up. He wasn’t comparable to Newman, Brando and other stars of that era who were more traditionally masculine and sexual seeming.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 12:07 PM

Farley was perfect in They Live By Night, Strangers on a Train and Rope. I agree he didn't pass for straight and he lacked the masculinity and aggression of Brando. He's more passive and has this androgynous energy. Similar to Monty actually. Farley should have worked with Nicholas Ray and Hitchcock more because they tapped into strengths.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 12:30 PM

Anyone who can pretend he enjoyed fucking Arthur Laurents is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 3:12 PM

His memoir is great. Read it now.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 3:15 PM

But he aged into such a milquetoast.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 3:42 PM

I wonder if Harry Belafonte let Farley suck him off under the influence.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 6:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!