Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Last of Us (2023; HBO)

Pedro Pascal, Bella Ramsay, Diego Luna, Anna Torv, Nick Offerman, Murray Bartlett, Merle Dandridge

Joel and Ellie, a pair connected through the harshness of the world they live in, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600February 15, 2023 4:04 AM

Murray gets sixth billing!

And is he homosexual again?

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2022 9:35 PM

Pedro Pascal AND Diego Luna?! Dios mio.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2022 9:39 PM

I’ve been watching my friend play through the video games on Twitch. If there was a reason for an eldergay to buy a game console, I’m pretty sure “The Last of Us” series would be a pretty solid choice.

Scary, creepy, somehow nostalgic.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2022 9:47 PM

^ nostalgic for what?

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2022 9:52 PM

I'd rather watch Gilligan's Island or The Flying Nun.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2022 10:02 PM

There's a lot of visceral banging in the OP's clip.

Devoid of intellect.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2022 10:05 PM

Nothing against Pedro, but i would not have picked him for Joel.

by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2022 6:41 AM

R4 Lots of scenes that look old, a lot of the game scenes were modeled after real locations.

by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2022 6:44 AM

The game was enjoyable but not sure I need to watch this series.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2022 6:59 AM

video games? ugh

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2022 7:25 AM

I’m fine with Pedro for Joel, but Bella gives pause

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2022 2:32 PM

Trailer.

The nerds are all going crazy over this, but it doesn't seem like anything I haven't seen before. I doubt it'll be on the level of something like Station Eleven, writing-wise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 6:47 PM

I love a post-apocalyptic tale, love Pedro, enjoyed Bella in GOT, and have implicit trust in the creators of "Chernobyl." I'm all in.

(P.S. Did any Elder Gays notice Marilyn Whirlwind (Elaine Miles) in the trailer?!)

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2022 6:54 PM

I'll check it out next month.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2022 6:56 PM

[quote] I doubt it'll be on the level of something like Station Eleven, writing-wise.

Different species I think. Station 11 was hipster end of the world, quirk-ocalypse. This seems to be more like an attempt to tell a story of the end in a straight realistic fashion, like early TWD.

I was a gamer briefly in the early 2000s — the first half life games got me into it. But I dropped out before half life 2 and so also missed TLOU. I know the story though and think it’d be a great series.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2022 6:57 PM

How is Ellen Page not in this? This was made for her. Literally.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2022 6:58 PM

[quote]The nerds are all going crazy over this, but it doesn't seem like anything I haven't seen before. I doubt it'll be on the level of something like Station Eleven, writing-wise.

The game tells a great story and has some pretty gut wrenching emotional moments.

If they can achieve half the pathos as the game, they're doing exceptionally well.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2022 7:04 PM

Dead name attack at r16!

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2022 7:05 PM

What does the kid actress say at 0:34 in the trailer? She really needs to work on her diction, I almost didn't catch her opening line in the trailer either. Alternatively, just loop that part (again) before the episode airs.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2022 7:05 PM

[quote]How is Ellen Page not in this? This was made for her. Literally.

Much too old to play the character now, setting aside the other obvious problems with casting Page.

Ellie is a young teenager. Page cannot play that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2022 7:24 PM

After 66 reviews, a 97% rating.

[quote] Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey are incredible in The Last of Us, an unmissable, perfect adaptation of the hit video game series that manages to do the Naughty Dog title justice, all while expanding this world in thrilling new ways.

[quote] Comfortably the best adaptation of a video-game ever made: one that deepens the game’s dystopian lore, while staying true to its emotional core. Like the game, it’s a masterpiece, too.

[quote] Right now, HBO is simply operating on a different level to any other network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2023 11:13 PM

Gay characters in episode 3:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2023 11:17 PM

I’m looking forward to this.

Is the girl related to Steve Little?

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2023 11:21 PM

I cannot fucking stand Pedro Pascale, but I can’t deny his resemblance to his character in the video game.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2023 11:27 PM

The BBC liked it a lot! It looks great - I'll be watching when it's released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2023 12:12 AM

Cnet's take on the show:

[quote]HBO's The Last of Us is an absolute triumph, offering one of gaming's most intense and engaging narratives to TV viewers and revealing exciting new aspects of the universe to those who've played the games. It's beautifully written and the casting is flawless, with Pascal, Ramsey and their co-stars adding layers of emotional depth and unsettling moral grayness to every moment.

Here's what they say about the third episode dealing mostly with gay characters:

[quote] Most of the season's nine episodes focus on this core dynamic, but it also takes a few surprising detours to tell more self-contained stories. These tales reveal how characters find room for tenderness and happiness amidst the horror. One of these dives into the life of gruff survivor Bill, with Parks and Recreation actor Nick Offerman anchoring an installment that proves to be the season's most uplifting and haunting. It massively expands a storyline that's only hinted at in the game and stands as a perfect piece of episodic storytelling. You might need to lie down for a bit after watching this one.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2023 11:29 PM

I still haven't finished this video game series because of time. It's become a waste of money, now. I will not watch this until I have completed both TLOU and TLOU II.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2023 11:38 PM

I’m so over negative energy TV. Glorification of crime and over the top violence. Fuck it. My mind wants respite!!

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2023 11:40 PM

I’m also in the middle of TLOU I, which I haven’t finished for the simple reason that I prefer PC gaming.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2023 11:56 PM

r29 I prefer console gaming for this genre. But, I started getting migraines/seasick whenever I would play. I think it's because the game is so dark. Literally dark. I was straining my eyes too much.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2023 1:06 AM

I fundamentally agree with R28, which is why I find myself watching shit I’d typically avoid, like Abbott Elementary and Emily in Paris. That said, I miss the days of “monoculture” and won’t be on the outside looking in if “The Last of Us” is a hit (as expected).

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2023 12:14 PM

Is the girl special needs?

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2023 12:43 PM

Tonight!

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2023 1:52 PM

Bella Ramsay looks like her parents are siblings.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2023 3:28 PM

The thing I like about the apocalypse in TLOU is, it’s plausible, and at the same time the zombie-esque humans are scarier.

That said, I was out of computer gaming by the time TLOU was published, although I know a bit about the story arc anyway. I’ll be watching tonight for sure.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2023 3:33 PM

Sounds delightful...

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2023 3:48 PM

Anyone watch? I thought it was great, really did the game justice. The story changes so far aren’t obtrusive and make sense. I’m excited to have a new Sunday show for the next eight weeks.

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2023 3:09 AM

I thought it was amazing. I was forced to watch it by a friend and thought it'd be yet another zombie apocalypse bore but the plot, acting and locations were stellar. Anna Torv was a highlight.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2023 4:31 AM

This is a pic from the-weeks-ahead preview trailer. It's Murray Bartlett, probably from episode 3. Posted because he looks so good here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2023 4:40 AM

Brilliant first episode, the first half hour was particularly great. I loved the scene where Sarah's checking the dvds and in the background as the old lady becomes infected out of focus and the added tendrils to the infecteds mouth as the infect others adds up the creel factor.

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2023 4:49 AM

I watched The Walking Dead and Station Eleven so don't know if I want to get involved with this. I am tired of watching depressing shows.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2023 5:00 AM

I'm right there with you, R41. I'm a big fan of the first game too. I don't know if I want to invest my time in another zombie apocalypse series.

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2023 5:02 AM

I'm tired of dystopia. We all should be,

Having said that, I'd rim Pedro, Diego and Murray for days.

by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2023 5:39 AM

I appear to be in the minority in this but I didn't like Bella Ramsey's Ellie. Nothing to do with the fact that she's not cute, but she just came off as strident, mugged in every scene, and had no chemistry with Pedro, and that's a problem considering their relationship is the heart of the show. I just didn't think much of her acting and didn't connect with her character at all. I recall Bella had the same pompous pinched vibe in "Catherine Called Birdy" but she was playing royalty in that, so it sort of worked for her there. Here I'm not sure it does.

I'll watch more, though, because the rest of the cast is great and it's entertaining enough.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2023 8:07 AM

Love the games. Some of the best that I've ever played, BUT I just don't need to see this.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2023 10:17 AM

I'm with r44. She's really horribly miscast. In general, she's not a good actress. It's going to be hard to watch her every week.

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2023 10:47 AM

I thought she was surprisingly good and looked better than I expected - I was anticipating her to be funny-looking enough that it would be a distraction, but she just looked like a regular kid. But I know nothing about acting, so my admiration may be proof that she was awful.

Overall, I thought it was good but it didn’t blow me away. Agree that the first half hour was great, but I was sort of bummed when that story line petered out and they jumped ahead.

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2023 11:46 AM

[quote]I’m so over negative energy TV

I’m probably the odd duck here, but what I find most depressing about these shows, is it reminds me how I (and probably most people) have no useful skills if the shit really hit the fan.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2023 12:12 PM

From what I've heard the creator originally wanted the first episode to end when Joel dumps that kids body in the firepit, but HBO execs weren't keen on having it end with another child's death and so it was extended, that might explain why the episode lagged a little after that point.

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2023 2:27 PM

r48 ever since I first saw 'The Day After' as a kid, I figured I would rather go out quickly in the beginning, I am not cut out for living in an apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2023 2:55 PM

Who was the little girl who walked into the compound? Was that the younger Ellie character and how she ended up there?

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2023 3:02 PM

The actress that played the daughter in the first episode is the offspring of Thandiwe Newton.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2023 3:09 PM

r51 when they guy ran a scanner on her it turned red which I assume meant she was positive for the virus or whatever it is. Then they showed the main character throwing the body of that little girl into the fire. So they must have killed her.

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2023 3:15 PM

Ok thanks R53. I didn't connect the two.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2023 3:21 PM

R53 I thought it was a little boy

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2023 3:28 PM

I’m sorry because I’m sure there is a story…but why doesn’t DL like Pedro? I found him great in this?

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2023 3:33 PM

r55 it could have been a boy with long hair. But anyway, the child was later shown dead and thrown into the fire.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2023 3:43 PM

For anyone unfamiliar with the background of the game and show I recommend watching this, gives you an idea of what the real fungi is like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2023 4:09 PM

Was that John Hannah as the scientist at the beginning?

by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2023 4:21 PM

R53 yes that's what I assumed too. It's why the FEDRA lady was so kind and reassuring her that after the "medicine" was administered, she would be safe and have toys and go get her favorite meal. It was a mercy killing.

The girl playing Sarah was a much better actor than Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2023 7:06 PM

I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. It definitely started on the highest of notes with appearances by John Hannah and the guy who played Big Head on Silicon Valley.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote]The girl playing Sarah was a much better actor than Ellie.

Agree on that. Nico Parker looks so much like her mother it was distracting at times. Their facial expressions are also very similar, not surprisingly.

Bella Ramsey's wiki page say she's non binary in addition to being non-normal looking.

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2023 7:20 PM

I was dreading the introduction of yet another precocious teen girl character who watches over her dad, but Nico did a great job. Bella Ramsay is so unfortunate looking…but I will give her credit for one ring: although claiming to be non-binary she uses all pronouns, so you don’t have to walk on eggshells when referring to her.

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2023 7:25 PM

Nico is a better actor and really likable. I almost wish they had swapped her with Bella - she would have made a fine Ellie

by Anonymousreply 64January 17, 2023 7:43 PM

It's a fucking ZOMBIE movie!! What the fuck has happened to people.

by Anonymousreply 65January 17, 2023 8:11 PM

I loved the games so I was dreading the adaptation but it's really great so far. I'm hoping the Ellie actor improves though because she's the weakest link. I agree the two girls should have been swapped around.

by Anonymousreply 66January 17, 2023 8:42 PM

Never having played the game, I watched it and mildly enjoyed it. No new territory here at all so far. Given the absolute raving reviews, it appears every film critic is also a gaming nerd, who would have thought.

by Anonymousreply 67January 17, 2023 9:17 PM

According to the reviewers, Ellie may grow on you like the fungus. The reviewers have apparently seen at least 4 of the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 68January 17, 2023 9:22 PM

[quote] ‘The Last Of Us’ Becomes HBO’s Second-Largest Debut After ‘House Of The Dragon’ Since 2010 With 4.7M Viewers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 17, 2023 9:37 PM

I’m not familiar with the video game, but I assumed that making Ellie less initially appealing that the lost daughter was intentional. The daughter was pretty and nurturing. Ellie is funny looking and hostile. So by learning to love Ellie the hero demonstrates growth and what a great guy he is.

Now that I know the actress playing Ellie is non-binary I’m wondering if her and Steve Little have even been in the same room at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 17, 2023 10:19 PM

R55

The kid was referenced as a boy when the adults were testing him and talking to him. I assumed he was a girl up to that point, but I have a hard time guessing if a pre-teen kid is a boy/girl without any other clues like clothes and hair.

by Anonymousreply 71January 17, 2023 10:35 PM

I thought the acting was ham fisted and the show seems dated. Nico Parker was fantastic though. So talented and the carbon copy of her gorgeous mother.

by Anonymousreply 72January 17, 2023 10:42 PM

I don't think she's a carbon copy at all. In fact I didn't even know she was Thandie's daughter until I read it here.

She beautiful in her own right and quite talented for sure

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2023 3:18 AM

Hopefully she didn't inherit the crazy gene that her mother has.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2023 3:39 AM

She looks so similar to Thandie Newton it's almost disturbing. How can you not see it r73.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2023 3:42 AM

Overall I enjoyed the pilot. Not sure if the world really needed another zombie show, but it was executed well and I am along for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2023 3:46 AM

The first thirty minutes were fantastic. The rest was good. I don't game and no nothing about the video game, but I'm hooked.

I think Pedro is hot af, so that doesn't hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 77January 18, 2023 3:55 AM

I thought it was hilarious the Fireflies rebel was in full make-up.

by Anonymousreply 78January 18, 2023 4:11 AM

R75 her facial features look much larger and rounder to me. Thandie has a sharp pixie face.

by Anonymousreply 79January 18, 2023 4:21 AM

R48 in the WWZ book, that was a thing: plumbers and electricians and carpenters rose to the top of the heap while the Csuite did crap jobs like janitorial and laundry.

by Anonymousreply 80January 18, 2023 4:33 AM

R78, they had long manicured fingernails as well.

by Anonymousreply 81January 18, 2023 1:19 PM

I don't mean to be all comic-book guy, R43, but technically this would not be a dystopia.

by Anonymousreply 82January 18, 2023 2:07 PM

Miss Bartlett is in EVERYTHING these days

by Anonymousreply 83January 18, 2023 2:14 PM

His performance in White Lotus really put him on the map in Hollywood r83, happy for him. He was the best part of the Looking cast, it was clear he had real talent.

by Anonymousreply 84January 18, 2023 2:27 PM

Jesus, Zombies again?? Come up with something new.

by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2023 2:56 PM

Wherever they're filming this, it looks fuck-all like Boston.

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2023 9:37 PM

It’s fucking bullshit how they film these shows in Canada of all places. Alberta looks nothing like Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 87January 19, 2023 5:28 PM

Well they won’t be in Boston for long.

by Anonymousreply 88January 19, 2023 5:35 PM

Nico Parker is distractingly pretty. I wasn't thinking about her parentage, just enjoying the beauty.

by Anonymousreply 89January 20, 2023 1:09 AM

"Joel and Mitzi, a pair connected through the generosity of a gentleman of a certain age and character, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America."

Now, THAT would be a show I'd pay to see!

by Anonymousreply 90January 20, 2023 3:02 AM

I thought episode 2 was disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 91January 23, 2023 2:45 AM

Starting this episode in Jakarta and the mycologist telling the military to "bomb this city and everyone in it" was a nice addition. The change to Tess's final moments actually hit me harder than the game and the last moment was horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 92January 23, 2023 4:09 AM

I'm not familiar with the game so I know nothing about The Last Of Us but so far it's very good, imho. Hopefully it won't turn to shit the way The Walking Dead did. There are 9 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 93January 23, 2023 4:14 AM

Another perfect opening, sets up how horrified even the experts were. Once it gets to the trio it slowed a little, but I guess the show had to explain some of the details on the infected before proceeding on. The clickers were fantastic, my only issue is that part could've gone on a little longer, really ratchet up the tension of the trio trying to manoeuvre around the room similar to the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park. The end was great, different enough from the game without losing Tess's sacrifice and that kiss has to be one of the most grim things I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2023 4:17 AM

It's a little too scary for me. The trek is interesting, so I'll watch another episode. But the makeup effects on that infected guy the kid encounters really creeped me out. Those eyes (shudder).

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2023 3:52 PM

Not sure why this is getting such good press, it’s basically “The Walking Dead” or one of its sequels. Nothing I haven’t seen before.

by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2023 9:03 PM

Most critics said it was episode 3 that really sold them on the show r96.

by Anonymousreply 97January 23, 2023 9:18 PM

[quote]it’s basically “The Walking Dead” or one of its sequels. Nothing I haven’t seen before.

Well, the production design is better, but basically, yes.

by Anonymousreply 98January 23, 2023 9:21 PM

True r98. HBO spends money on good production design, unlike cheap-ass AMC.

by Anonymousreply 99January 23, 2023 9:23 PM

I've never been a video game person, not since the Asteroids machine in my local 40 years ago. I became very good at that one. Haven't bothered with them since.

I like Pedro Pascal and Diego Luna so I'll binge-watch this series eventually, although I despise zombie shit. I don't have the patience to wait a week for the next episode anymore. I'd rather wait for the season to be over and see it then.

by Anonymousreply 100January 23, 2023 9:36 PM

If it sticks to the story as well as it has so far, it will continue to be far better than crappy Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 101January 23, 2023 10:13 PM

Bella Ramsay is difficult to look at.

by Anonymousreply 102January 23, 2023 10:17 PM

I agree. I think she's totally miscast for the role and doesn't embody Ellie at all.

Too bad Ellen Page is too old for the role and is now Elliot Page. The character design of Ellie was based on her.

by Anonymousreply 103January 23, 2023 10:41 PM

Damn, I liked Anna Torv . I was hoping we'd see more of her.

by Anonymousreply 104January 23, 2023 10:59 PM

Yeah, Anna Torv was great. She did convey a lot in just 2 episodes and not a lot of screen time, so that what happened had even more impact.

by Anonymousreply 105January 23, 2023 11:15 PM

Bella Ramsey looks like she has Down Syndrome or FAS.

by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2023 12:42 PM

Bella Ramsey is fine. Pedro on the other hand… nah. He just doesn’t read as that overly masc stoic that Joel is. I don’t really buy him at all. He’s fine, but they could have found dozens of guys to play the role more convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2023 12:46 PM

[quote] Starting this episode in Jakarta and the mycologist telling the military to "bomb this city and everyone in it" was a nice addition. The change to Tess's final moments actually hit me harder than the game and the last moment was horrifying.

Yeah, in the game she dies by holding the line against FEDRA while Joel and Ellie escape. Instead her zombie death was much more awful. I’m not really understanding the criticism “there aren’t enough zombies in the show.” In the game, the monsters are really quite secondary. You’re mostly dealing with violent humans, platforming, and exploration. The zombies are confined to a few set pieces. They’re not the center of the drama. What they’ve done with expanding the story has worked so far. What I really want to see is the story of the guy who started the little survivor town in the sewers. I’m hoping they give that an episode because we never learned the full story in the game. It’s all just alluded to through the set and found items.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2023 12:55 PM

I'm still loving this, though I agree Pedro is just kind of there. The Indonesian scientist was a brilliant performance, and I loved getting backstory on how the fungal catastrophe happened.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2023 3:05 PM

R86 and R87, I agree. Fucking Canada with its fake looking locations and colorless day player actors.

by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2023 4:16 PM

I thought the Indonesian scientist jumped to “bomb” way too fast. I get what her character was supposed to be but I felt like there was no way, without the benefit of hindsight, she could have gotten to kill everyone in the area so fast. If they had kept the secondary infections alive and she actually saw them, maybe. But second hand account of “violent.” No way. They should have stretched it out because that was by far the best part of tue episode.

The actress was fantastic, though and the sense of special, talented person being exactly where they needed to be came through. A heroic moment.

Other than that, I thought it was a very generic zombie show.

by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2023 11:04 PM

Boycotting due to it being filmed in Alberta.

by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2023 11:10 PM

Good for you r112. Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2023 11:12 PM

Yes, some people do, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2023 11:16 PM

Fun so far. Love Pedro, but I can't hear his voice without thinking of Mando. He and Bella don't have much chemistry as co-workers either. She's dull. He's kind of dull here too.

by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2023 11:20 PM

The zombie genre is basically what the western was seventy years ago. It satisfies that deep American urge for murder without consequences.

by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2023 11:28 PM

Or it's just a fun fucking show r116. People love post-apocalyptic shit. Well, except for the pearl-clutching Dlers.

by Anonymousreply 117January 24, 2023 11:29 PM

I wonder how Fallout on Amazon Prime will compare next to this.

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2023 2:56 AM

I loved Anna Torv, but I knew she was going to get killed off early because she wasn't in any of the promo pieces.

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2023 3:06 AM

R118 it probably won't. Amazon doesn't have the record that HBO does, Amazon seems to want put yes men in charge of their creative endeavours instead of actual creatives.

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2023 6:22 AM

Good point, R120. That’s why I have little hope for their God of War series. The Boys is the best thing Amazon has as a TV series right now and that’s because the showrunner is a talented creative.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2023 7:10 AM

Yeah I'm disappointed and surprised Bella and Pedro have zero chemistry which is saying a lot considering Pedro has chemistry with even a CGI green alien. Bella really needs to be taken aside by a director and told to stop jutting her chin out whenever she's trying to be thoughtful or determined. It's quite a distraction as acting tics go.

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2023 8:43 PM

R116, I thought that was what sci-fi was for, no?

Star Wars is a space western.

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2023 8:52 PM

Pedro Pascal.. mmmmm-hmmm....

Fuckable. For. Days.

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2023 9:06 PM

I love that Merle Dandridge is reprising her role as Marlene. She’s just as much a force of nature on the show as she was when she did the motion capturing of the character in the game.

by Anonymousreply 125January 26, 2023 12:12 AM

She’s really good.

by Anonymousreply 126January 26, 2023 12:31 AM

R93 Walking Dead was garbage from the start.

by Anonymousreply 127January 26, 2023 12:53 PM

Walking Dead was great for the first two seasons. It was pulling in pre-internet ratings numbers, which is unheard of. Then AMC had to fuck with it and it all turned to shit.

by Anonymousreply 128January 26, 2023 3:28 PM

I thought that The Walking Dead was crap from the begging. How are you going to have a show about end of the world and zombie apocalypse with zero cursing and nudity. The story was boring. The whole show seemed so tame and lame. Like a soap opera about zombies.

by Anonymousreply 129January 26, 2023 4:37 PM

Anybody got some hot zombie nudes for R129?

by Anonymousreply 130January 26, 2023 4:45 PM

If Pedro was a zombie I would let him eat me.

by Anonymousreply 131January 26, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote]How are you going to have a show about end of the world and zombie apocalypse with zero cursing and nudity.

Well if that's all you care about it says more about you than it does the show.

by Anonymousreply 132January 26, 2023 6:18 PM

Bella Ramsey is the Moira Kelly of the millenium.

by Anonymousreply 133January 26, 2023 9:20 PM

I’m a gamer and have played Last of Us 1 and 2.

Loving this series. Excellent acting. Special effects are nicely done.

💯💯💯👍👍👍🧟‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 134January 26, 2023 10:27 PM

If all they wanted was a car battery why didn't they just take one from all those abandoned cars all around once they ventured into the city . I mean, that's all you saw where abandoned cars everywhere! I would have just found a battery with some juice in it and abandoned that weird girl !

by Anonymousreply 135January 27, 2023 12:00 AM

Those cars have been sitting there for 20 years. Obviously, the batteries wouldn't work.

by Anonymousreply 136January 27, 2023 12:03 AM

I rolled my eyes a little that they were going through so much trouble for a car battery, but using battery powered flashlights incessantly. But I love the show.

by Anonymousreply 137January 27, 2023 1:22 AM

Troy Baker, who does the voice and the stop action for the Joel character in the game, also has a part in the HBOMax series and is doing promotion for the series. He was speaking on the Alanah Pearce podcast about how much he admired Pedro Pascal's performance as Joel. Then he said this about Bella Ramsey's performance as Ellie:

[quote] God damn, Belly Ramsey. Holy Shit. People don’t even know- she is coming for you. She is so effortless. She is terrifying. You’re dead, it’s already done. What you don’t get without knowing anything about Bella Ramsey is the 15,000 layers of shit that’s happening underneath every choice she makes.

He's seen episodes 1 through 5, so I hope we get to see what he sees in her performance in episodes 3 to 5. He'd be doing her no favors by overselling her, so he must actually believe this.

by Anonymousreply 138January 27, 2023 1:44 AM

I think the mistake they made was setting the current story in 2023. Technology has advanced quite a bit since the initial release of the first game in 2013. Finding a car battery in 2023 shouldn't be as difficult.

by Anonymousreply 139January 27, 2023 1:45 AM

r139 the world ended in 2003. So all the cars you see are 20 years old.

by Anonymousreply 140January 27, 2023 1:46 AM

I would take what Troy Baker says with a grain of salt, R138. He also hyped the hell out of the second game, which was an absolute disaster storywise. Plus, he's close friends with Neil Druckmann, the game's creator and showrunner of the series. Neil can do no wrong in Troy's eyes.

I say this as someone who likes Troy's work (and find him strangely attractive).

by Anonymousreply 141January 27, 2023 1:50 AM

The second wasn’t an absolute disaster storywise. Only to straight incel Reddit posters.

by Anonymousreply 142January 27, 2023 11:52 AM

R132 I don't care about it, but you really think that in a apocalyptic world filled with brain eating zombies, people wouldn't cuss or have sex?

by Anonymousreply 143January 27, 2023 12:24 PM

So in a video game, are you, the player, playing with Joel's character or Ellie's? Or can you choose between two of them?

by Anonymousreply 144January 27, 2023 12:26 PM

[quote] The second wasn’t an absolute disaster storywise. Only to straight incel Reddit posters.

Well, I’m none of those things and consider it a weaker game. It had a lot of holes in the story with piss-poor character development compared to the first game. But to each their own, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 145January 27, 2023 12:40 PM

[quote] So in a video game, are you, the player, playing with Joel's character or Ellie's? Or can you choose between two of them?

You play as both. Throughout the game Joel and Ellie are often separated and you get to play as both, similar to Resident Evil 4 where you play as Leon and Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 146January 27, 2023 12:47 PM

How much lesbianism is there in the videogame?

by Anonymousreply 147January 27, 2023 1:18 PM

Joel in the first and Ellie in the second R144. You do play as Ellie for about an hour in the finale of the first game.

by Anonymousreply 148January 27, 2023 1:36 PM

There’s also the downloadable expansion pack in the first game where you play as Ellie that gives a backstory on how she got infected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 27, 2023 1:53 PM

[quote]Troy Baker, who does the voice and the stop action for the Joel character in the game, also has a part in the HBOMax series and is doing promotion for the series.

Ok. Now, I HAVE to watch it. Finished game or not. I just saw a comparison of the opening between the series and the game and am impressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 27, 2023 5:54 PM

I also made the mistake of thinking the actor DIEGO LUNA is in the series. I read that he was supposed to be be playing Joel's brother Tommy, but the actor playing Tommy looked nothing like Diego. After doublechecking IMDB, I saw that the actor is actually GABRIEL LUNA.

by Anonymousreply 151January 27, 2023 7:19 PM

I made the same mistake R151. Disappointing, but I'll keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 152January 27, 2023 9:25 PM

Gabriel Luna is hot, too, and he's a Texan!

by Anonymousreply 153January 28, 2023 12:10 AM

Hello everyone. I'm thinking of watching. Shall I?

Is this a thumbs up or a thumbs down so far?

by Anonymousreply 154January 28, 2023 2:56 AM

I'd say thumbs up so far. In some ways, it surpasses the game in terms of storytelling and character development.

by Anonymousreply 155January 28, 2023 3:02 AM

R154, the first episode was fantastic. The second episode was a letdown. But reviewers seem to have been saying the next few episodes are great. Give it a shot, I say.

If you have a thing for stoic daddy types (I do), it's worth watching for Pedro. You'll need to pay extra attention to Pedro when the unfortunate looking one is on the screen. Trust me on this.

by Anonymousreply 156January 28, 2023 4:08 AM

I just picture Grogu. His cute little face.

by Anonymousreply 157January 28, 2023 5:17 AM

Pedro has painted himself into quite the corner. If he’s really gay he’s in severe trouble with his audience which is mostly women, and surprisingly women of color. They are absolutely obsessed with him on TikTok. If he comes out of the closet his career is over.

by Anonymousreply 158January 28, 2023 11:46 AM

All the women I know who post online saying he's hot do so knowing he's gay. It's 2023, everyone posting in online circles knows the gossip.

by Anonymousreply 159January 28, 2023 11:33 PM

True r159. Chris Pine is another one who at this point even the fraus have figured out is gay.

by Anonymousreply 160January 28, 2023 11:37 PM

I'm a woman. Not convinced he's gay, but perhaps bi. He looked pretty cosy with Lena Heady a few years ago. Either way he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 161January 29, 2023 12:02 AM

Absolutely not R159. There is zero discussion amongst women about him being gay. It is not known publicly at all.

by Anonymousreply 162January 29, 2023 12:54 AM

R162 This isn't true. There is discussion of him being either Gay or Bisexual, but not necessarily a consensus.

by Anonymousreply 163January 29, 2023 1:33 AM

R158, I noticed that Lipstick Alley is obsessed with him, so you’re right about women of color being his biggest fan base.

by Anonymousreply 164January 29, 2023 2:22 AM

Chris Pine is supposed to be gay now?

Oh FFS.

by Anonymousreply 165January 29, 2023 4:07 AM

He's been gay his whole life r165

by Anonymousreply 166January 29, 2023 4:08 AM

He has a Charles Bronson thing going on. The public would not be able to reconcile that image with a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 167January 29, 2023 4:09 AM

LOL R166.

You sound like an insane fan who is obsessed and unhinged.

Proof of your claim? If he's gay then you'll post it here so we can all see the proof. If you've got solid proof then great - if not... then you're full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 168January 29, 2023 4:12 AM

Oh FFS r168 it's known in the Industry and in circles in LA.

by Anonymousreply 169January 29, 2023 4:14 AM

LOL @ R169!

by Anonymousreply 170January 29, 2023 4:15 AM

You haven't truly become an Angelino until you've seen Chris Pine staggering drunk on Robertson.

by Anonymousreply 171January 29, 2023 4:16 AM

JFC "Angeleno"

by Anonymousreply 172January 29, 2023 4:17 AM

Chris Pine is totally straight. Pedro Pascal is totally straight. Leonardo Dicaprio is totally straight. Every hot male actor is totally straight.

by Anonymousreply 173January 29, 2023 4:18 AM

I'm not a frau R173. I'm a gay male. Clearly evident from my long posting history.

I asked for proof. And what I got was "oh, everybody just knows" from R169. That's not proof and is exactly what I expected to get back.

I really don't care if Pine is gay or not - but I do care about proof as all normal people do.

So where's the proof for this claim? None? Then just STFU.

by Anonymousreply 174January 29, 2023 4:23 AM

ok r174 you can believe that Chris Pine is straight. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 175January 29, 2023 4:25 AM

WTF do you want r174? Video of him getting fucked in the ass? He's not exactly going to be doing PDAs with other men in public. It's known in LA he hooks up with guys, it's known in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 176January 29, 2023 4:27 AM

Andy Cohen loves coke. Where's the photo evidence? Of course there isn't any but if you're around certain circles you know this is fact.

by Anonymousreply 177January 29, 2023 4:29 AM

I already said that I couldn't give a flying fuck whether Chris Pine is gay or straight R175.

This is what I said:

[quote]I really don't care if Pine is gay or not - but I do care about proof as all normal people do.

So now I know that you have no proof and when questioned about it, you flounce around blaming everyone else for not falling for your bullshit like you have at R175. You're boringly predictable.

Oh and there's another "everyone just knows" post from R176.

Clearly - this is a thread filled with slobbering insane people.

by Anonymousreply 178January 29, 2023 4:30 AM

r178 go to bed. If you traveled in certain circles (you obviously don't) then you'd know.

You'd also know about Clive Owen's career suffering because he refused to fuck Angelina Jolie

You'd know Johnny Depp liked getting topped by black guys.

You'd know Tim Robbins kept an apartment on the UES where he'd meet male escorts.

by Anonymousreply 179January 29, 2023 4:34 AM

Anyway I'm looking forward to the third episode; it's supposed to be a good one.

by Anonymousreply 180January 29, 2023 4:57 AM

I am too. This week went by fast!

by Anonymousreply 181January 29, 2023 5:27 AM

Not to reopen the whole Chris Pine is gay debate, but I mostly heard rumors that he's bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 182January 29, 2023 6:12 AM

People are still arguing about Pedro’s sexuality? He walked the red carpet at Venice with his long-term boyfriend a couple of months ago and used to like tweets about being gay before he deleted his account. Oscar Isaac’s wife calls him his sisterwife.

by Anonymousreply 183January 29, 2023 6:23 AM

Are Pedro Pascal and Edgar Ramirez boyfriends? Please say it is so.

by Anonymousreply 184January 29, 2023 6:44 AM

R184 Unfortunately no, he’s dating Sebastiano Mauri.

by Anonymousreply 185January 29, 2023 6:46 AM

Pedro could do so much better than Sebastiano Mauri. What a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 186January 29, 2023 6:54 AM

Quite a lot of pics of them together on Instagram and Tumblr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 29, 2023 7:06 AM

Wasn't he messing around with Sarah Paulson a few years back, before she got with her granny girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 188January 29, 2023 8:56 AM

Why do some zombies look like regular people while other look like half mushrooms half humans breed? Are those the ones that were infected for longer? And i get that they can't see since they don't have eyes, but how do they have such perfect hearing since they lack the ears as well? And why does fungus from their mouth and wounds moves so quickly? I don't get that part. It's weird how all the virus infected zombies in other media move so slowly, while these fungus zombies move at the speed of light. When it would be a lot more logical if it was the other way around. But the part that bugs ether most how they are supposedly all connected. Mushrooms in the woods aren't all connected with their roots all leading to one big mother root. Even if they were, humans don't have fucking roots, so how exactly are they connected to one another. Wish they just went with more regular zombies, because the whole premise behind the shrom zombies is kinda stupid.

by Anonymousreply 189January 29, 2023 9:09 AM

It's a tee-vee show r189. Do not expect objective reality. And by all means, don't let it bug you.

Go with the flow.

by Anonymousreply 190January 29, 2023 9:13 AM

R190 I know it's a silly show about zombies. Far from the realism as it gets. But still, I would like a better writing.

by Anonymousreply 191January 29, 2023 9:25 AM

R188 Paulson is a lesbian and her type is strictly old women.

by Anonymousreply 192January 29, 2023 9:46 AM

R192 No she isn't, she dated men and said she is an equal opportunist

by Anonymousreply 193January 29, 2023 10:11 AM

I've never heard about with a man. She was with the older Cherry Jones and now she's with the even older Holland Taylor. Does she have some kind of mommy fetish?

by Anonymousreply 194January 29, 2023 10:25 AM

I work in “the industry.” Outside of the impossibly tiny niche of DL, there are little to no rumors of Pablo being gay, friendship with Paulson notwithstanding. He is widely viewed as straight. He wouldn’t have been hired for two huge franchises that are masculine and stoic otherwise. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Period.

by Anonymousreply 195January 29, 2023 11:03 AM

R195 I'm sure Pablo isn't gay, but Pedro definitely is.

by Anonymousreply 196January 29, 2023 12:48 PM

Pablo! R195 told on herself.

by Anonymousreply 197January 29, 2023 1:49 PM

Pedro takes a lie detector test.

[quote] "What's the strangest thing someone has said about you on social media?"

[quote] Pedro: "Somebody said that I look like Orlando Bloom if he were hit in the face with a shovel."

On another topic:

[quote] Pedro: "Daddy is a state of mind, know what I'm sayin'?. I'm your Daddy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 29, 2023 2:26 PM

r189 there are different stages of infection and mutation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199January 29, 2023 2:48 PM

^ spoiler alert for those who haven’t played the game

by Anonymousreply 200January 29, 2023 3:12 PM

R194 Before Cherry she only dated men, including Tracy Letts. And she said she's an equal opportunist. Anyway, this if getting off topic.

by Anonymousreply 201January 29, 2023 3:24 PM

I’ve heard people who’ve played the game refer to the infected in the Massachusetts State House (Episode 2) as “the Clickers.” Based on their level of deformity I assumed they represent people who’ve been infected since early on in the pandemic (2003-2004).

by Anonymousreply 202January 29, 2023 4:23 PM

R202 Don't rhe infected live only a short period of time?

by Anonymousreply 203January 29, 2023 6:25 PM

No, R203. As evidenced in Episode 2, they’re actually pretty resilient and aren’t easy to kill.

by Anonymousreply 204January 29, 2023 6:48 PM

Pedro has worked for decades and he's finally on the cusp of becoming an A list star. A film career is his ultimate goal and he's not going to fuck it up by coming out.

by Anonymousreply 205January 29, 2023 10:21 PM

[quote] People are still arguing about Pedro’s sexuality? He walked the red carpet at Venice with his long-term boyfriend a couple of months ago and used to like tweets about being gay before he deleted his account.

Lol this NEVER happened.

by Anonymousreply 206January 29, 2023 10:59 PM

Even the gals on Lipstick Alley know he's gay. And they believe Michael Jackson was straight!

by Anonymousreply 207January 29, 2023 11:20 PM

I'd say he's A list already. Been in A list projects for the past three or so years now.

by Anonymousreply 208January 29, 2023 11:22 PM

R206 Alright dumbass frau, I'll bite.

Pedro with Sebastiano at Venice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 29, 2023 11:34 PM

Thank you, R209. Saved me the time from posting that myself. There are too many pictures of Pedro and Sebastiano together at Venice to say "that NEVER happened."

by Anonymousreply 210January 29, 2023 11:36 PM

R206 Some of the Twitter likes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 29, 2023 11:36 PM

R206 More Twitter likes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 29, 2023 11:36 PM

R206 Elvira Lind, Oscar Isaac's wife, referring to Pedro as her sisterwife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 29, 2023 11:38 PM

R206 Bonus: (@pascalispunk special performance for you when you get here)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 29, 2023 11:40 PM

Welp. Looks like R209 has shut that deluded frau up in this thread. The receipts he provided were beautiful to behold! Lol.

Bravo! 👏

by Anonymousreply 215January 30, 2023 12:01 AM

None of those prove or really show anything r215.

by Anonymousreply 216January 30, 2023 12:23 AM

R216, I don't know what your agenda is in this thread (you're coming off less of a frau fangirl and more like Pedro's PR team), but it's well-known that Pedro is gay (possibly bisexual) and has been in a relationship with Sebastiano (who divorced his husband in 2016) for years now.

You're either playing dumb or trying to be duplicitous (I'm leaning toward the latter since you mentioned that you're in the industry and never heard rumors about Pedro being gay). Give it up, sweetheart. Pedro likes dick. Live with it.

by Anonymousreply 217January 30, 2023 12:56 AM

Bill and Frank 😭

by Anonymousreply 218January 30, 2023 1:57 AM

I haven't seen the end R218 and I sense tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 219January 30, 2023 2:11 AM

It’s crazy, I’ve liked the guest stars more than Pedro and Bella in every episode so far. The Bill and Ted storyline was done incredibly well and I wouldn’t be surprised if this winds up being my favorite episode of the season. I also never played this game, so reading what the original storyline was for them…thank God they changed it.

by Anonymousreply 220January 30, 2023 2:52 AM

This tweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221January 30, 2023 2:57 AM

Wow, I just read that Annie Wersching, who was Tess in the video game, died. She was only 45. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222January 30, 2023 3:05 AM

This is why I said the show, in some ways, is surpassing the game. The changes they made to Bill and Frank's storyline are better in the series than in the game.

by Anonymousreply 223January 30, 2023 3:08 AM

I'm not the previous poster r217. I never claimed to work in the industry. Didn't make the other poats.

by Anonymousreply 224January 30, 2023 3:21 AM

For r217 because he was a bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 30, 2023 3:25 AM

Definitely a frau, can't seem to identify a hag when she sees one.

by Anonymousreply 226January 30, 2023 3:31 AM

All I'm seeing in that pic, R225/R216, is a straight woman being cuddly with her good judy. Try again.

And you're right, I was wrong about you being Pedro's PR. You're certainly a frau who refuses to see the clear evidence that Pedro isn't straight.

by Anonymousreply 227January 30, 2023 3:41 AM

I cried during tonight’s episode.

by Anonymousreply 228January 30, 2023 3:42 AM

[quote[I know it's a silly show about zombies. Far from the realism as it gets. But still, I would like a better writing.

In general, the writing is very good, but tonight's episode (S1E03) was outstanding. The whole episode was amazing. We started crying halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 229January 30, 2023 4:25 AM

It was a great episode. I cried at Bill and Frank's last couple of scenes. Beautifully written and beautifully acted by Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett

by Anonymousreply 230January 30, 2023 4:32 AM

I like how they didn't pussyfoot around Bill and Frank being a couple like in the game, but I do wish that Bill had lived so he could've met Ellie.

Still a great, sad episode. Hopefully it'll win awards.

by Anonymousreply 231January 30, 2023 5:52 AM

wow that was STUNNING. It will get them the emmy.

by Anonymousreply 232January 30, 2023 6:06 AM

DL fave Melanie Lynskey appears in episode 4!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 30, 2023 10:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 30, 2023 3:38 PM

I don't know who Sebastian Gorka is, even if I did know I still wouldn't give a fuck about his opinions.

by Anonymousreply 235January 30, 2023 4:03 PM

Murray Bartlett is a great actor. I love what they did with Bill and Frank (although I liked crazy Frank in the game) .

by Anonymousreply 236January 30, 2023 7:20 PM

I worry by the time Emmy nominations are announced in July the Academy will have moved on to shinier objects, but Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett deserve to be remembered for that episode.

by Anonymousreply 237January 30, 2023 7:24 PM

Bartlett and Offerman both gave beautiful performances. This is what most gay men are like, not the finger-snapping Yaaass Queens the media keeps spotlighting.

by Anonymousreply 238January 30, 2023 7:27 PM

They’ll be remembered in the Guest Actor in a Drama Series, for sure. But they’ll probably lose to someone from Succession.

by Anonymousreply 239January 30, 2023 7:28 PM

God that episode was one of the best portrayals of a gay relationship I've ever seen. Just heartbreaking and lovely and so honest.

And in a post apocalyptic zombie movie? Fuck me. Didn't see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 240January 30, 2023 8:57 PM

Do you need to be a gamer to enjoy this show? I'm not. I haven't owned a gaming console since my parents bought me a Super Nintendo in the early 90s. I'm also not generally into fantasy, but I loved Game of Thrones, so I'm not above watching niche genre stuff. Just curious to hear from anyone who isn't really into gaming, but who's enjoying the show.

by Anonymousreply 241January 30, 2023 10:23 PM

[quote]Do you need to be a gamer to enjoy this show? I'm not.

Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 242January 30, 2023 10:31 PM

This show can stand independently without anyone ever playing the video game. It's that well-done.

by Anonymousreply 243January 30, 2023 10:33 PM

r241 I'm not a gamer at all - I never even heard of The Last Of Us until the series started and I'm really enjoying it. You don't have to be into gaming to get into it.

by Anonymousreply 244January 30, 2023 10:50 PM

R241, I've never even heard of the video game and I love the series so far.

by Anonymousreply 245January 30, 2023 11:37 PM

I can't believe someone tried to argue there is no gay talk about Pedro Pascal. The guy is pretty much class closeted.

This was a well done episode that shows that this show is trying to be way deeper and more mature than something like the Walking Dead. Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 246January 31, 2023 12:44 AM

Legitimate question - Nick Offerman won’t get blow back for “taking a role away” from a gay man? Are we past that?

by Anonymousreply 247January 31, 2023 12:57 AM

I haven't seen a single complaint about that r247, as Murray Bartlett is a gay actor. If both leads in this episodes were straight it probably would have rubbed people the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 248January 31, 2023 1:09 AM

Some people are just dumb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249January 31, 2023 1:34 AM

Just finished episode three. You guys are right, that was beautiful! Beautifully acted, beautifully shot -- No wonder the incel fanboys are losing it. I cried a bit, in part because I empathize with Frank's choice of exit.

(And superficially, how nice to see real mens' bodies on tv. With body hair, even!)

by Anonymousreply 250January 31, 2023 1:34 AM

I listened to it again too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 31, 2023 1:44 AM

[quote]Episode 3 of The Last of Us truly showed us that there is still much work to be done with gay representation. People really thinks letting their children seeing people killed in a show is less 'harmful' than just seeing two men kiss and being in love. Still much homophobia sadly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252January 31, 2023 1:50 AM

I mean it's not a surprise that a certain type of fanboy isn't going to like seeing a gay male love story, the important thing is those people are small minority these days.

10 years ago they would not have done an episode like this in this type of show.

by Anonymousreply 253January 31, 2023 1:56 AM

Overall, it seems to me the response on Twitter was very positive to Episode 3.

by Anonymousreply 254January 31, 2023 1:59 AM

It's not a kids show, so why care if kids are watching if the show is rated out of their age range? Oh that's right, right wing media has triggered their brains to think gay=think of the children, which is fucked if you think about it, their first thought when seeing sex is children, but then again not surprising when you look at the long list of pedophiles who were/are right wing politicians.

by Anonymousreply 255January 31, 2023 1:59 AM

Some of the offended, butt-hurt, conservative comments saying “but did they have to show gay SEX” are hysterical. If you want to get technical about it, it was kissing. Kissing and intimacy. But not sex.

by Anonymousreply 256January 31, 2023 3:17 AM

I want to watch whatever this guy watched

[quote]So its not that I am against Gays at all I just don't want to watch two guys kissing and blowing each other off with one guy behind the other in sex scene. Bad move on Last of Us series at least for me. I loved it and was deep into it until that. No need for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257January 31, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote] This is what most gay men are like, not the finger-snapping Yaaass Queens the media keeps spotlighting.

Oh please.

by Anonymousreply 258January 31, 2023 3:32 AM

Yes please r258.

by Anonymousreply 259January 31, 2023 3:35 AM

Of course these unfucked incels would have no issue with two chicks going down on each other.

by Anonymousreply 260January 31, 2023 3:36 AM

r241 I haven't watched it yet (will be doing so tonight), but as someone who has played the game (and is still trying to beat it), the game itself has a blockbuster level storyline that sucks you in to begin with. It's very high quality for a game, and will suck you in regardless.

So, if the show is following that formula, I'd say it's not necessary to be a gamer to enjoy it because the storyline is actually that damn good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 31, 2023 3:37 AM

We'll see how they react to Ellie's backstory episode later in the season. R260

by Anonymousreply 262January 31, 2023 3:37 AM

"Men, acting like women. Men wanting to be with one another, men touching each other. Their stubbly chins rubbing up against one another. Touching each other. Manly hands touching swirls of of chest hair. An occasional wiff of a rugged aftershave. Their low, baritone voices sighing, grunting. They hold one another in manly, masculine arms. Hold one another. Tight."

by Anonymousreply 263January 31, 2023 3:42 AM

[quote] The change to Tess's final moments actually hit me harder than the game and the last moment was horrifying.

I didn’t play the game so don’t know this character but I liked her end. But I’ve read some feminist gamers going apeshit about the “damage” done to the character by the tv reimagining.

by Anonymousreply 264January 31, 2023 3:50 AM

I thought Tess's death was handled better on the show than in the video game as well. So far, the changes they've made to the storyline have improved rather than weakened it.

I bet co-showrunner and game creator Neil Druckmann is enjoying the fact that he can revisit this story and strengthen areas that may have worked well back in 2013 but doesn't in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 265January 31, 2023 4:09 AM

I enjoyed the storyline with the two men tonight, but the main girl bugs me I don't think I can watch her every week.

by Anonymousreply 266January 31, 2023 4:53 AM

The irony in all those complaining about the gayness of the last episode is those same people probably love Zach Snyder's DC movies, which are filled with very muscular men wearing either skin tight costumes or barely anything at all.

by Anonymousreply 267January 31, 2023 4:57 AM

The fungus from TLOU is actually real, btw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268January 31, 2023 5:19 AM

It’s real but it doesn’t do what it does on the show.

And it never will. When has a pandemic ever been caused by jumping from insects to humans? Never. It’s too big a jump.

by Anonymousreply 269January 31, 2023 5:46 AM

r269 It depends on how far the insects in question are located from science labs in China.

by Anonymousreply 270January 31, 2023 6:03 AM

That was hot R263.

More please.

by Anonymousreply 271January 31, 2023 6:07 AM

That fungus will never jump to humans, the reason it can "zombify" insects is because their nervous system is simple when compared to a humans. If a fungus of that type were able to infect humans, it wouldn't change us into crazy monsters that go around biting and infecting people, we would just shut down into a coma as the brain had become corrupted and probably die very soon afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 272January 31, 2023 6:13 AM

Haters are review bombing episode 3. Gays live rent free in their heads.

by Anonymousreply 273January 31, 2023 7:17 AM

Loved this episode but how can men kiss properly with those beards?

by Anonymousreply 274January 31, 2023 9:36 AM

R273 They are. I have been tracking its IMDB rating since Sunday night. One can attribute a 1-10 star rating to an entire series and also to its individual episodes.

Most “episode 1s” get the highest number of people entering a rating number. Then it tends to fall off in subsequent episodes. Most people don’t even bother rating episodes and only attribute a rating to the overall series. The people who bother rating an individual episode tend to be bigger fans.

Shortly after episode 3 aired on the east coast Sunday night, episode 3 had a perfect 10 rating from 15,000 ratings. Perfect 10s are extremely unusual. By the time episode 3 had aired on the west coast it had gone down to a 9.7 and had 25,000 ratings.

That was still a higher rating than episode 1 at 9.2 with about 50,000 ratings and episode 2 at 9.3 and 35,000 ratings. It is also higher than the overall series rating of 9.3.

Well…as news of the content on Episode 3 ricocheted on social media yesterday, they sent the bigots to IMDB where the episode rating plummeted and currently has a rating of 8.2 from a total of 58,000 ratings.

That 30,000 people (as of current count) who most likely did not even watch the episode (since it costs money to watch/HBO…and they don’t care about the show, they care about sending a message) and went to IMDB (free) to attribute a 1 star rating (see link) to an excellent episode of television is utterly predictable. I have no doubt the rating will continue to go down today.

But none of it matters because none of us need reminders we are hated. What matters is that this was a breakthrough episode that will gain more viewers who otherwise wouldn’t watch a “gaming show” or “a show about zombies.”

Most of the people who say “I’m stopping watching it” were never watching it to begin with…and the others that say that are lying and will continue watching because they’re fans of the show and it’s a quality production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 31, 2023 1:00 PM

This seems quite important to you r275.

by Anonymousreply 276January 31, 2023 1:42 PM

I thought I recognized Gustavo Santaolalla's evocative, plaintive sound.

He scored "Brokeback Mountain", too.

by Anonymousreply 277January 31, 2023 1:46 PM

Climate change has led to an increase in some fungal infections, like valley fever. So that premise works.

But as the poster said the fungus that is the inspiration behind this show is one that evolved for insects. It's a big evolutionary distance between insects and mammals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 31, 2023 2:14 PM

[quote]Nick Offerman won’t get blow back for “taking a role away” from a gay man?

Being married to Megan Mullally is possibly the highest gay pass a straight man can achieve. He’s invited to the dancefloor.

by Anonymousreply 279January 31, 2023 2:22 PM

R270, thanks for signaling your trump-cult crazy in a thread about a sci fi apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 280January 31, 2023 2:23 PM

I'm surprised to see how many DLers like this episode, I thought it was bordering on homophobia. A couple of gay men find each other in a zombie/apocalypse and they just happen to be gourmet cooks who are experts on wine and play the piano? So stereotypical. Why didn't they have them stage zombie drag shows while they were at it.

It was also just boring. It needed more action amidst the drama.

by Anonymousreply 281January 31, 2023 3:03 PM

We are very different people if you find stuff like this boring r281. This episode showed me why this show was even on HBO in the first place. Just a lot of action set pieces is not quality story telling, you have to get the audience emotionally invested into the real humanity and emotional stakes of living in this world. Those kind of human stories are what's compelling, not just killing zombies like some cliche popcorn entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 282January 31, 2023 3:16 PM

R282 yes we are very different. I don't find shmaltz enticing. I'd watch a soap opera if I wanted this kind of TV. Everyone I know who is into the show found the episode to be a snooze, even though it started so well. Episode 2 wasn't that great either. This show is turning into a dud.

by Anonymousreply 283January 31, 2023 3:26 PM

“…we can help each other and get that gun out of my face.”

by Anonymousreply 284January 31, 2023 6:53 PM

Episode 3 was the best hour of TV I've seen this year.

by Anonymousreply 285January 31, 2023 7:17 PM

Episode 3 was the best hour of entertainment ever created!

by Anonymousreply 286January 31, 2023 7:22 PM

I liked Nick Offerman's singing

by Anonymousreply 287January 31, 2023 7:27 PM

"The Last of Us" and HBO scored a huge hit with this show and with this episode.

The Incel/MAGAT/Taliban assholes who are "outraged!" over it are a definite minority. Good for you, HBO.

by Anonymousreply 288January 31, 2023 7:40 PM

The details:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 31, 2023 7:46 PM

The dinner scene at the end fucking killed me. I was crying like a bitch, knowing what they were about to do. It was flawless acting from Offerman and Bartlett.

by Anonymousreply 290January 31, 2023 8:14 PM

[quote] Why didn't they have them stage zombie drag shows

I know raght, why didn’t they done have thems?

I reckon twarnt right at’all!

by Anonymousreply 291January 31, 2023 8:20 PM

I held out until the last scene through the open window and then I couldn't stop crying.

by Anonymousreply 292January 31, 2023 8:39 PM

This was a really good one, too r289

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293February 1, 2023 12:23 AM

This was pretty good . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294February 1, 2023 1:02 AM

Murray Bartlett was on The Late Show last night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 1, 2023 1:05 AM

r283 Did it have the upside down shooting scene (which frustrated the hell out of me in the game because Ellie kept dying)? Is Bill still the paranoid, booby-trap king? I just finished episode 2 and am impressed so far and someone who's familiar with the game first. Though I do see what a lot of people meant by Tess' death scene. It happens off screen in the game and FEDRA soldiers take her out. You just hear them shooting. This version was...different. But I have no complaints so far.

by Anonymousreply 296February 1, 2023 4:37 AM

I hope Bill and Frank had a threesome with Joel when they were younger.

by Anonymousreply 297February 1, 2023 4:45 AM

I like Nick Offerman even more than I did. But I didn’t realize he’s so much younger than his wife (Meghan Mullaly).

by Anonymousreply 298February 1, 2023 4:48 AM

If anything I didn't realize Meghan Mullaly was as old as she is.

by Anonymousreply 299February 1, 2023 4:50 AM

She was in her 40's when they got together so now I see why they don't have kids.

by Anonymousreply 300February 1, 2023 5:12 AM

Apparently an extended cut of episode 3 exists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301February 1, 2023 5:31 AM

Alrighty, just completed episode 3. They [bold]completely[/bold] changed Bill's story and character from the game. They kept some elements of his personality, but damn it I feel cheated. We only got minimal badass action from him. That was a waste.

For comparison:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302February 1, 2023 5:43 AM

I was not expecting an episode like that on a show like this. Not that many years ago an episode like this could never be made, even on a cable series.

by Anonymousreply 303February 1, 2023 5:44 AM

I'm a huge gamer but not really a fan of games like TLoU (linear cinematic games), so I don't know anything about it other than it being about fungal zombies. I'm pretty impressed so far, probably would have dropped it if not for the third episode. Very touching and well acted, Bill and Frank completely stole the show. I hope the side characters to come are this well developed and treated because I don't find Pedro Pascal charming at all. Nerds are complaining that the gay romance was forced woke shit and of course some are furious about any and all deviations from the game. But they seem to be a small minority and fans of the game are mostly blown away about the quality of the show. One of the best romance plots I've seen on screen in a while. Yes it's contrived but that's what you're signing up for if you're not watching a documentary. I think it was refreshing to see gay men (particularly Bill) portrayed as strong, competent, masculine, and productive. Usually I see gay characters that are screaming queens or they're schemers and manipulators. Murray Bartlett looks amazing for his age. Also was impressed by Nick Offerman's range in this episode, did not expect him to knock a performance like that out of the park but he absolutely did.

by Anonymousreply 304February 1, 2023 11:05 AM

Manipulative, schmaltzy, and, apparently, gratuitous ( I'm not a gamer), but, oh, did I love this, and the 2 previous episodes.

What r304 said.

r283's reaction to #3 is that it's schmaltz. I agree.

But, there's average schmaltz, of which, in some instances, I'm a fan.

Then there's skilled, superb schmaltz which is what #3 is.

TLOU is great TV.

by Anonymousreply 305February 1, 2023 1:18 PM

[quote] I think it was refreshing to see gay men (particularly Bill) portrayed as strong, competent, masculine, and productive. Usually I see gay characters that are screaming queens or they're schemers and manipulators.

I also appreciated this. Two gay guys who were just regular men, and not Drag Race stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 306February 1, 2023 2:44 PM

The idea that gay characters on television are always portrayed as some flaming queen is nonsense. Yet it keeps getting repeated. We thankfully have gotten a lot of different gay characters on TV that run the gambit between flamboyant (which some gay men are) and not.

by Anonymousreply 307February 1, 2023 2:50 PM

Not always r307 but much of the time.

by Anonymousreply 308February 1, 2023 2:55 PM

This third episode should win all the emmys. A beautiful, heart-wrenching hour of television about 2 gay men. I know, "Mary!", but it's true. I've never watched anything like that on the small screen before. And you almost forget this is a show about mushroom zombies.

by Anonymousreply 309February 1, 2023 2:58 PM

Nick Offerman will definitely win an Emmy. And I get the episode will also win for writing and directing. Murray Bartlett was reliably good as always, but nothing exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 310February 1, 2023 3:55 PM

[quote] Two gay guys who were just regular men

It's kind of hard to be a "regular man" when you have your dick up another man's asshole. Stop striving for acceptance from people who are never going to accept you, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 311February 1, 2023 4:14 PM

[quote] run the gambit

Oh, dear! It’s OK, R307 everyone makes that mistake.

by Anonymousreply 312February 1, 2023 4:40 PM

What pills did they took? There are no pills that will grantee a certain death.

by Anonymousreply 313February 1, 2023 4:44 PM

I would assume barbiturates.

by Anonymousreply 314February 1, 2023 4:53 PM

R311 What people? Every straight on the planet? Do you want to see every gay character in media fag bashed or just get rid of them altogether or what? I can't find a point in what you're saying at all.

by Anonymousreply 315February 1, 2023 5:12 PM

R307 I don't watch a lot of television so it is one of the few gay characters in media that stood out to me as a portrayal of a typical masc protagonist without feeling forced at all, the characters were very believable and fit naturally in the context of the plot. You're probably right in that if I watched more recent legacy television I'd see more similar things.

by Anonymousreply 316February 1, 2023 5:13 PM

FTR - all sentiment is not schmaltz.

by Anonymousreply 317February 1, 2023 6:40 PM

r311 that's not the point. Lots of gay men are just regular guys and not finger-snapping stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 318February 1, 2023 7:14 PM

Wait up. So straight actor Nick Offerman plays a gay character and is "stunning and brave", but when other straight actors play gay they are derided and hectored to death and "stealing" the role from an out gay actor who "deserves" the role? Ok, got it.

by Anonymousreply 319February 1, 2023 8:00 PM

R319 - OK, no you don't.

The people praising Offerman are not the people who complain about straight actors playing gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 320February 1, 2023 8:34 PM

[R 302]

I have played the games and totally enjoyed this episode. BRAVO!!!!!

And I'm a huge gamer. My thing is RPGs. Already pre bought Diablo IV.

by Anonymousreply 321February 1, 2023 8:42 PM

The point is, why do you think you’re any better than the so called “finger snapping stereotype?”

You’re having the same butt sex everyone else is and you are just as hated as everyone else for that exact reason.

Stop fooling yourself, you dunb masc bro (who probably isn’t even masc to begin with).

by Anonymousreply 322February 1, 2023 8:47 PM

But if you know anything about gay men you know we are practically defined by our self-loathing and internalized homophobia r322. This board always reeks of it.

by Anonymousreply 323February 1, 2023 8:55 PM

r322 it's just embarrassing when that's all you see.

by Anonymousreply 324February 1, 2023 11:03 PM

r322/323 it's like when black people complain that they're only seen as ghetto thugs.

by Anonymousreply 325February 1, 2023 11:04 PM

What is your favorite game, R321? I'd like to try one.

by Anonymousreply 326February 1, 2023 11:34 PM

That was probably Nick Offerman's career-best performance.

by Anonymousreply 327February 2, 2023 1:36 AM

Craig Mazin, who wrote episode 3, wasn't completely confident that it would be very effective until he saw the first cut. From his discussion with Deadline.com:

[quote] Mazin: Well, we felt really good about the script, and we felt really good about our cast, and we felt really good about our director. But I felt good about scripts, cast and directors before, and then sometimes the soufflé doesn’t rise. And with this one, in being there each day and watching the episode take shape, I was feeling pretty good about it. But it wasn’t until I saw the director’s cut that I knew.

[quote] Mazin: Peter Hoar did his director’s cut with our editor, Tim Good, which was quite long. When they sent it to me, I think it was almost two hours or something like that. So, I was like, oh, that’s probably not good. And I sat down, but I’m like, “OK, I’ll watch the two-hour version of this episode.” And I cried so hard that at one point, I actually said out loud, “Ow.” I mean, it hurt. I cried so hard; it hurt. And I thought, ”Well, if these guys can do this to me and I wrote this f**king thing, then I think it might work pretty well on other people.”

Neil Druckmann (series co-creator) talks about casting Murray Bartlett:

[quote] With Murray, he was kind enough to audition for us, and that addition moved us to tears. It was so good. We’re looking for this very specific character that just has passion for life and needs to be a handsome man that makes Bill feel really insecure – and Murray had that in spades. [Laughs].

by Anonymousreply 328February 2, 2023 1:57 AM

r321 The most it did was give more backstory on Bill and Frank's relationship from the game which I appreciated. However, I dislike the fact that they killed Bill off. I guess they wanted to give them a "happy ending" but I don't consider it a happy ending when we got very little "present-day" scenes of Bill with Joel and Ellie. I especially was looking forward to Bill and Ellie bickering because I found it hilarious.

The game took their relationship down a sadder path, I think, but at least Bill survived and had more action scenes. I think I'm more irritated that he was killed in the same episode that he was introduced.

Sidebar: The game made it pretty damn obvious from day one that Bill and Frank were a couple so I don't get the latest controversy over that, at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329February 2, 2023 3:33 AM

R329, that was the only downside to this episode: we didn't get a chance to see Bill and Ellie bicker with each other. That was one of the enjoyable moments of the video game. The two bickered like sitcom characters.

While I loved this episode, a part of me also cringed because I felt it was a desperate attempt to scream how "serious" and "artsy" it is compared to its video game roots. I don't like highfalutin "pulp." I like my pulp being pulp. The moment it beings to take itself too seriously is when the story suffers and becomes embarrassingly mawkish.

That's why I understand some of the criticism the third episode received. Almost every episode, especially the third, signals, "we're better than the video game, and please don't compare us to that OTHER zombie series!!"

by Anonymousreply 330February 2, 2023 4:02 AM

And the criticism I'm referring to is not the dumb-ass, incel-ridden "gay men kissing!! eewwwww!! wut about the chil'ren who'll see this!!!" I'm referring to criticism similar to R283.

by Anonymousreply 331February 2, 2023 4:16 AM

r330 These are my thoughts exactly. When it comes to shows of this genre, too much of the melodrama tends to take me out of the story and make me feel like I'm watching an entirely different show. The range of emotions I experienced during this episode was so all over the place and can only be summarized by the following bullet points:

(Bill is introduced in his doomsday prepper bunker)

- "Oh shit, some Bill backstory! Yes!"

(Bill meets Frank)

- "Nice, so we get to see how their relationship got to the point they reached in the game."

(Bill and Frank start fighting over fixing up the neighborhood)

- "Really? This is what started their relationship strain? Disagreements over decor? Okie dokie."

(Fast-forward to Frank suddenly being terminal)

- "Wait. What?"

(Bill decides to die with Frank who has decided to commit suicide after a nice somber and heart-wrenching dinner)

- "Are you fucking kidding me?? That's it?? No present-day Joel and Ellie interactions? No more scenes of him being his delightfully paranoid, hardened, hilariously blunt self? No Ellie bickering? He's dead???"

Yeeeeah. -_-

by Anonymousreply 332February 2, 2023 4:23 AM

R330 yes thank you. What I liked about Joel and Theresa was how UNromantic they were. The only people who can survive that kind of world are tough, cynical, practical types. I liked that they didn't shoehorn in some kind of romantic love between them. They came together most likely for practical reasons and nothing more.

Bill and Frank fighting over DECOR? My, my, how tres GAY of them. Wink wink, nudge nudge...puke.

by Anonymousreply 333February 2, 2023 6:33 AM

[quote] Bill and Frank fighting over DECOR? My, my, how tres GAY of them.

I heard more than just some stereotypical gay arguments over decor. Frank wanted to mow the lawn. He wanted to fix up some shops down the road. And then he wanted to invite some potential friends (Joel and Tess) that he talked to on the radio-phone to the house. He wanted some respite from Bill's bunker mentality. They were going to live there together for more than 20 years, and he wanted to see beyond the end of the world. Just some small changes to gain some semblance of normalcy in a world out of control and more character contrast by the writer of the TLOU to show how living with Frank changed Bill.

by Anonymousreply 334February 2, 2023 6:53 AM

The impression I'm getting from the series is that Joel and Tess are unromantic because JOEL is unromantic and didn't want to deviate from that.

Joel is the one who's tough, practical and cynical.

When we see a young Joel & Tess when they stop by Bill & Frank's, Tess and Frank clearly bond with one another because apparently they were so much alike.

But prior to that we had seen a profoundly different Tess than the one we saw up until that point.

And so that's the message to take from Bill's letter to Joel at the end of the episode.

Bill basically says he and Joel were alike, but he allowed Frank to change him, the way he hoped Bill would be able to change because of Tess as well.

But of course it's too late for that to happen and Joel can never get that back again.

But Joel has an opportunity to redeem himself through the daughter figure of Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 335February 2, 2023 8:50 AM

[quote]the way he hoped Bill would be able to change because of Tess as well.

Meant to say Joel instead of Bill

by Anonymousreply 336February 2, 2023 8:52 AM

R335 Yeah, the bit where Tess says, “I never ask you for anything, not to feel the way I felt…” makes pretty explicit that Joel was the one that couldn’t reciprocate romantic feelings.

by Anonymousreply 337February 2, 2023 9:57 AM

Very interesting, R335 (and R337) - thank you.

by Anonymousreply 338February 2, 2023 1:05 PM

[quote]A beautiful, heart-wrenching hour of television about 2 gay men. I know, "Mary!", but it's true. I've never watched anything like that on the small screen before.

If you have never seen "Looking" do yourself a favor and watch it r309. Can get lots more of Murray Bartlett having gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 339February 2, 2023 1:23 PM

This is an episodic television series on a pay cable channel/pay streaming service. I’m unclear on why it would need to precisely mirror its original form of media. The book Berlin Stories took a winding path to the movie Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 340February 2, 2023 6:25 PM

That Beaujolais they drank in Episode 3 is sold at Trader Joe’s .

by Anonymousreply 341February 2, 2023 6:47 PM

R333 and R330 I hear you.

But I think R335 explains why the Bill and Frank story is crucial to Joel's character arc. We understand now that because Joel refused to allow Tess fully in? He might survive, but it won't be with the one thing that makes being alive worth the strife. Love.

The question now? Will he learn his lesson. And if so, when?

It's really fantastic storytelling. Subtle in many respects. In your face in other ways. The balance of which is tough to execute. And I think they did it masterfully in episode three.

by Anonymousreply 342February 2, 2023 6:51 PM

R310 Murray Bartlett was way more than just reliably good.

by Anonymousreply 343February 2, 2023 9:13 PM

[R342] - Great job articulating how episode 3 in important to Joel's character arc. I'm not familiar with the game but I knew what was happening, I just couldn't put it into words. Thanks..

by Anonymousreply 344February 2, 2023 10:56 PM

R344, I am your secret DL boyfriend. So happy to have (unknowingly) helped you articulate your thoughts.

What else are fake internet crushes for?

by Anonymousreply 345February 2, 2023 11:02 PM

[quote] That Beaujolais they drank in Episode 3 is sold at Trader Joe’s .

Link?

by Anonymousreply 346February 2, 2023 11:16 PM

[quote]That Beaujolais they drank in Episode 3 is sold at Trader Joe’s .

Not in CT. No wine or liquor allowed in grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 347February 3, 2023 12:15 AM

Bob and Frank were in Lincoln, MA.

by Anonymousreply 348February 3, 2023 12:44 AM

^Bill

by Anonymousreply 349February 3, 2023 12:45 AM

The final scene was the spirits of Bill and Frank watching as Joel drove away in their truck. 🥲

by Anonymousreply 350February 3, 2023 12:49 AM

Really r347? That's as odd as Wisconsin and their no booze sold in stores after 9pm rule.

by Anonymousreply 351February 3, 2023 12:54 AM

R342/R345 - I have an internet crush???!!!!!

I'm so flattered!

by Anonymousreply 352February 3, 2023 1:03 AM

For a long time now. I think you were going through some sort of break up drama. Or some other drama. Can't remember exactly. This must have been 15, maybe 18 years ago? I liked how you dealt with the trolls here who attacked you and how you dealt withdrama itself.

Plus, you have kids. Every major relationship I've had that was successful, the man was a father. For some odd reason.

Okay, back to the show. Sorry to hijack.

by Anonymousreply 353February 3, 2023 2:08 AM

[bold]Sorry DL - You can skip over this. Also sorry to hijack[/bold] I was married to a woman for twenty years. She knew I was bi or at least had been with men. Long story short, met a guy on a business trip and I went off the rails, as DL had predicted. Ex-wife outed me all over the place while I was still trying to work things out (in my head). I was "in love" (infatuated) and planned to move to his city which was where my company was headquartered. it was over before I moved but my sons were both off to college and I didn't want to stay where I was. Within weeks, I met a total mess, too young (but hot) who pretty much used me for drinks, drugs, and a place to stay.. He was very self destructive. After a lot of drama, I left him behind and never looked back.

I cut back on the drinking and spent some time volunteering and going to a gay church. I swore off dating but within a couple of months, this guy wanted to get together. Nice guy, dated for a few months but it wasn't a good match. He was too young or I was too old. He ended it but I wasn't crushed. I joined a couple of meetups and met a guy. We didn't hit it off right away but as we got to know each other better, we ended up going on a date.

That was in June 2008. We've been together since. We had our ups and downs at the beginning but we've settled into our life together. My sons both like him a lot. My ex-wife hosted us for Christmas a few years back and we're all getting together in March. I've seen him through both his parents dying. I'm 66 now, but it will be 20 years in October since I first posted about it. We've been doing a good deal of traveling. I don't have an actual bucket list but there are places I want to see while I still can. Life is good.

[bold]Back to normal programming, DL[/bold]

***One note to the DLers who were around then. The consensus was correct. That first guy was total asshole and I was acting like a 14-year old girl with my first crush, which I was.

by Anonymousreply 354February 3, 2023 3:04 AM

Although zero effort was made to make it look like a burb of Boston r348. There were mountains!

by Anonymousreply 355February 3, 2023 3:09 AM

It’s the Louis Jadot Beaujolais, I know they sell it at Trader Joe’s because I have bought it there. Here is the link to an article about TJ’s wines that mentions it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356February 3, 2023 3:11 AM

R355 - and a forest of conifers just west of Boston!

The locations got better after that.

by Anonymousreply 357February 3, 2023 3:13 AM

One thing I like is they got the explanation for the infection out of the way early on in this series, so the question has been answered and nobody is impatiently waiting for an explanation and we won't have a million theories from idiot fanboys.

by Anonymousreply 358February 3, 2023 3:17 AM

That was the drama, R354!

by Anonymousreply 359February 3, 2023 3:37 AM

I love it so far. I actually watched the first three episodes backwards and (watched episode 3, 2 then 1 based on so many people saying episode 3’was the best and the first two were boring). No way! Not boring at all. All three were very good! I dont like Pedro Pascal but he is good in this. The whole “we’re enclosed in a quaint New England village” in episode 3 was a little too perfect. Look at our cute wine store! We have a boutique! Look at all these white picket fences! It was like the New England version of that Twlight Zone episode with the fake town. Otherwise, so great so far.

I would never want to try to survive an apocalyptic event. As soon as society collapsed it would be a benzo and wine cocktail for me

by Anonymousreply 360February 3, 2023 3:42 AM

r358 CoughTheWalkingDeadCoughCough

by Anonymousreply 361February 3, 2023 3:42 AM

r361 exactly. That's what I meant, I should've mentioned the Walking Dead in my original post. That show was good in the beginning, but then they just kept doing the same damn thing over and over and over and over. How many times were they going to wander around in the woods? I think The Last Of Us will take us on a better journey and change things up from episode to episode. I really like it so far.

by Anonymousreply 362February 3, 2023 4:01 AM

[quote]I think The Last Of Us will take us on a better journey and change things up from episode to episode.

If it follows the game, r362, then yes. Yes it will.

Speaking of which, I decided to dust off the ole PS4 and finish playing TLOU Part 1, forgot that I uninstalled it to make room for Black Ops Cold War, and redownloaded it from my library, only to realize that I stupidly removed all of my progress, as well. I'm back to 0% complete. Trophies are all gone. I don't know what the hell made me remove the saved game data as well. That was dumb. :(

by Anonymousreply 363February 3, 2023 4:08 AM

I liked Nick Offerman in this episode, he was really great, but GODDAMN IT Murray Bartlett was fantastic! He was so fucking good in this role. I only wish we've had more time with Frank and Bill, even just one more episode.

R354 I'm glad to see that you are in a good place after all that initial drama.

by Anonymousreply 364February 3, 2023 6:49 AM

Pedro Pascal dancing with a clicker. 🕺

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365February 3, 2023 6:52 AM

Louis Jadot Beaujolais? How basic.

by Anonymousreply 366February 3, 2023 9:08 AM

R354 Kinda shitty to be cheating on your wife. I could understand why she would outed you in frustration and heart break

by Anonymousreply 367February 3, 2023 6:23 PM

“I was never afraid until you showed up” was the highlight of the episode for me. Perfectly encapsulates both the reward and the risk of loving someone.

by Anonymousreply 368February 4, 2023 12:04 AM

Who was the top?

Frank, most likely. Frank was a blouse.

by Anonymousreply 369February 4, 2023 4:55 AM

I was about to give up on this show and then Bill and frank appeared. And then they disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 370February 4, 2023 5:23 AM

r369 I dunno. That first night Frank told Bill to get himself squeaky clean and then said they would try different things slowly. I think Frank was willing to be a sexual chameleon, depending on what Bill responded to.

We’re all so caught up in the complete story. However, Frank definitely had his eye on a potential good thing by the time dinner was served. He was determined to make that situation work. There was a lot of tension leading up to that piano scene. None of it sexual. I was unfamiliar with the characters so I had no idea if one of them was going to kill the other. Then, of course, by their first flash forward, the relationship was defined.

by Anonymousreply 371February 4, 2023 3:24 PM

I disagree that there was no sexual tension though - Bill obviously was interested from their first conversation and Frank picked up on it.

by Anonymousreply 372February 4, 2023 4:59 PM

Yes. Mazin said that Bill definitely noticed how handsome Frank was.

by Anonymousreply 373February 5, 2023 12:57 AM

I saw sexual tension. Bill was attracted to Frank immediately. He was conflicted both from being closeted and being paranoid, and from the self-preservation instinct that led him to construct a compound surrounded by booby traps; someone like Frank wasn't going to go all soft and googly-eyed in a love-at-first sight way, but you saw the conflicting emotions play out on his face and in his tone of voice, right up to the piano scene.

I'm telling you, Nick Offerman deserves an Emmy for this performance.

by Anonymousreply 374February 5, 2023 1:13 AM

I didn’t know anything about this series going in except I heard it had a prominent gay storyline. Watching episode one, I had assumed Pedro was the gay character, raising an adopted daughter with an “uncle”.

by Anonymousreply 375February 6, 2023 2:51 AM

Tonight’s episode was pretty boring and Melanie Lynskey is my least favorite guest of the week so far, but you can tell it was a set-up episode for next week. Hopefully the payoff is good.

by Anonymousreply 376February 6, 2023 2:59 AM

I'm surprised they kept the gay porn mag joke scene from the game.

by Anonymousreply 377February 6, 2023 3:57 AM

Love Melanie Lynsky in Yellowjackets but this storyline and her character remind me too much of TWD. I hope next episode proves me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 378February 6, 2023 4:13 AM

I didn’t watch it yet, but I’m already disappointed that they didn’t do a lesbian equivalent this week.

by Anonymousreply 379February 6, 2023 4:42 AM

I'm sure we'll get more to the lesbian portion later in the series.

by Anonymousreply 380February 6, 2023 4:45 AM

R379 We'll get some lesbian content in episode 7 I believe

by Anonymousreply 381February 6, 2023 4:57 AM

Well, its good to know the Gays will be surviving the apocalypse, but I guess they’re not helping at all with the repopulation though.

by Anonymousreply 382February 6, 2023 5:01 AM

I'm shocked Pedro Pascal hasn't come out yet.

by Anonymousreply 383February 6, 2023 5:47 AM

Is Arby’s a sponsor of the show? Why did the car have a cassette player, didn’t the world go to shit in 2003?

by Anonymousreply 384February 6, 2023 5:52 AM

The Head Frau in Charge of that scuzzy Kansas City group didn't come off as entirely convincing.

by Anonymousreply 385February 6, 2023 6:12 AM

Yes, a rather unusual disappointing performance by our lovely lady Lynsky.

by Anonymousreply 386February 6, 2023 6:50 AM

Agreed r385

Frau comadante’s face and body’s were too doughy to command respect from her underlings

by Anonymousreply 387February 6, 2023 6:51 AM

[quote]Why did the car have a cassette player, didn’t the world go to shit in 2003?

If he got into an older (than 2003) car, it would have had a cassette player in it.

by Anonymousreply 388February 6, 2023 9:36 AM

I thought 80% was recycled filler. Oh no, the road is blocked, we’ll need to go another way! Oh no, the old “roadblock with a fake victim trick!” Oh, no, a shoot out! Oh no, the alpha hero needs to be saved by a physically weaker character in a “surprise” move.

All of this was boring. The only thing missing was a very deteriorated zombie surprising them by grabbing someone’s ankle while they were walking by the cars blocking the highway.

Also, why were they too stupid to have a plan for blocked highways instead of winging it with, “Oh, well just drive through town, working out out route as we go.” Why were they even on a highway in daytime near a known civilization center?

Elle shooting that kid and his pain was pretty good and the moving cracked floor was good. Joel not being able to sleep was a nice touch. But I think they really blew it by introducing the idea of a QZ that successfully rebelled with such overused and stale scenarios.

by Anonymousreply 389February 6, 2023 12:02 PM

^ Ellie shooting that kids was part of the boring recycled stuff, but his reaction was good.

by Anonymousreply 390February 6, 2023 12:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391February 6, 2023 1:23 PM

Yeah of all the episodes so far this was my least favorite.

Melanie was fine…but I agree…not great casting for the role.

Anna Torv would have been much more believable as a group leader

by Anonymousreply 392February 6, 2023 1:57 PM

I think the point was the contrast. She seems meek and timid, but is in reality completely ruthless.

by Anonymousreply 393February 6, 2023 2:03 PM

The next episode will be released this Friday on HBOMAX. I'm assuming that's because the Super Bowl airs this coming Sunday night. It will also be shown at its regular Sunday night timeslot.

by Anonymousreply 394February 6, 2023 2:19 PM

As much as I’m enjoying the show, Pedro Pascale’s Texas accent is fucking HILARIOUS. it actually manages to get worse with each subsequent episode.

by Anonymousreply 395February 6, 2023 6:05 PM

Pedro Pascal grew up in San Antonio r395

by Anonymousreply 396February 6, 2023 7:04 PM

He grew up briefly in San Antonio. He lived in California for the most part. I don't think his Texan accent is off, but you can hear the difference between his and Gabriel Luna, the latter who was born and grew up in Austin.

by Anonymousreply 397February 6, 2023 7:31 PM

I love Pedro’s voice when he’s not putting on a Texas accent. When he was talking to Ellie in the dark and was using his normal low rumbly voice, that was the best. Then sometimes he uses an obvious Texan accent and you can tell it’s fake.

by Anonymousreply 398February 6, 2023 7:40 PM

This episode was a snooze.

by Anonymousreply 399February 6, 2023 7:44 PM

It was. This show is so desperate to prove that it's not like any other zombie series or films that it fails to stay entertaining. The creators think they're making high art out of this kitsch, which is embarrassing.

Melanie Lynsky, who is usually great in everything I've seen her in so far, gave the worst performance of her career in last night's episode. She was poorly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 400February 6, 2023 7:49 PM

Yes, it was very slow. Re acting, i though the worse offender was Pedro Pascal and his speech in the car about his brother. He was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 401February 6, 2023 8:10 PM

Offerman and Bartlett's outstanding performances really elevated the third episode, I think I was right about this show from the start - it's just "fine" if you're in the mood for some tense action. I heard that Disco Elysium is being adapted, which could be much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 402February 6, 2023 8:31 PM

What was the name of the porno mag Ellie found? Bear King?

by Anonymousreply 403February 6, 2023 9:00 PM

I wish the show would have more flashbacks of before times. The Handmaids Tale was REALLY good at flashbacks until the stopped.

by Anonymousreply 404February 6, 2023 9:12 PM

Maybe future episodes will have that r404. I have to say the first episode had me thinking "oh shit, Thandie Newton's annoying talentless daughter will be plaguing us through this whole fucking series" Then they mercifully killed her off in the first half hour.

by Anonymousreply 405February 6, 2023 9:14 PM

The moving broken floor was a cool effect, the best part of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 406February 6, 2023 9:47 PM

R405 WTF are you talking about? She was great

by Anonymousreply 407February 6, 2023 10:44 PM

I'm glad this show is more about humans vs. humans, than it is about zombies.

by Anonymousreply 408February 6, 2023 10:45 PM

I liked the cliffhanger at the end.

What are these Kansas City militia people living off of for sustenance? Ancient bottles of BBQ sauce?

by Anonymousreply 409February 6, 2023 10:46 PM

[quote] I have to say the first episode had me thinking "oh shit, Thandie Newton's annoying talentless daughter will be plaguing us through this whole fucking series" Then they mercifully killed her off in the first half hour.

Seriously? I thought she was fantastic! In fact, I wish she was in Bella Ramsey's role instead because she has more vulnerbility and more chemistry with Pedro.

by Anonymousreply 410February 6, 2023 10:51 PM

I find Bella Ramsey to be quite good as Ellie. The character is interesting as an intelligent, mature, smartass fourteen year old even though the actress is nineteen she pulls it off. I find her performance fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 411February 6, 2023 10:55 PM

[quote] I wish the show would have more flashbacks of before times. The Handmaids Tale was REALLY good at flashbacks until the stopped.

I feel like they are being stingy with them to drag things out. Why do one great season when you could make four pretty good ones?

by Anonymousreply 412February 6, 2023 11:19 PM

Are we supposed to understand what the broken moving floor was? Cause I didn’t?

by Anonymousreply 413February 6, 2023 11:40 PM

It's a bloater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414February 6, 2023 11:48 PM

[quote]It's a bloater

It will show up in the next episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415February 6, 2023 11:51 PM

Some things are meant to be mysterious r413, it was clear we were going to find out next week as this ended in a cliffhanger. Though now it's been spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 416February 7, 2023 12:02 AM

[quote]Melanie Lynsky, who is usually great in everything I've seen her in so far, gave the worst performance of her career in last night's episode. She was poorly miscast.

I agree r400. She didn't work for me at all in this, I was honestly cringing at her performance. Without good talent selling the material the show definitely doesn't work as well.

by Anonymousreply 417February 7, 2023 12:07 AM

Melanie Lynsky was like Linda in HR leading the band of thugs. Didn't work. Good show otherwise.

I think the rumbling floor meant that a nest of infected were festering and about to break through.

by Anonymousreply 418February 7, 2023 12:09 AM

The floor = don't look in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 419February 7, 2023 12:15 AM

[quote] Melanie Lynsky was like Linda in HR leading the band of thugs. Didn't work.

It could've worked had they played those scenes ironically. (It was a missed opportunity to show how much of a girl-boss Karen Linda really is.) But the show's tone takes itself oh-so-seriously, so they would never go the route the way David Lynch or Quentin Tarantino would've with the same material.

by Anonymousreply 420February 7, 2023 12:21 AM

Sorry, I meant to say "Kathleen" instead of Linda.

by Anonymousreply 421February 7, 2023 12:23 AM

r420 that would've been a great way to play the character. Missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 422February 7, 2023 12:24 AM

I want Murray Bartlett to come back and rim Pedro and then shit in a suitcase.

by Anonymousreply 423February 7, 2023 12:28 AM

This episode was terrible. Hopefully it gets better. Melanie is sorely miscast.

by Anonymousreply 424February 7, 2023 1:00 AM

The Last of Us is doing fine and sends it's love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425February 7, 2023 1:03 AM

They should have hired Pedro's friend Sarah Paulson.

by Anonymousreply 426February 7, 2023 1:04 AM

They should have hired Sarah Paulson's ex-girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 427February 7, 2023 1:05 AM

The 17% increase over episode 3 is great for episode 3. Some angry gamers were predicting that the show's ratings would crash at episode 4 because so many viewers were supposedly angry about the surprise gay storyline in episode 3. So, yay!

by Anonymousreply 428February 7, 2023 1:17 AM

TOTALLY agree 424 Horribly miscast

by Anonymousreply 429February 7, 2023 1:19 AM

Ep 3 received an extreme amount of positive publicity. With all the critical raves, its no wonder viewership grew. Everyone was talking about it, from the episode, to the song choice.

by Anonymousreply 430February 7, 2023 1:20 AM

What’s up with the Kathleen character?

Troy Baker (Joel in the game) asks writer Craig Mazin why people like Perry follow Kathleen when she doesn’t feel like the typical strong leader. (At timemark 23:30)

[quote] Craig: It’s important that you’re asking the question because it means you are correctly confused or at least correctly mystified. It was important for us for that the audience wonder why is he following her. What is so compelling there? All I can tell you is keep watching the show.

[quote] Craig and Neil: Typically, you would not cast Melanie in this role because she does have this sweetness to her that makes this role that much more interesting. A maternal softness. You get the feeling that his person’s not designed to be angry, so if they are, what made them like that and what are they capable of doing?

So I guess it’s ???????? until future episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431February 7, 2023 1:24 AM

It was clever in episode 4 that they showed Joel and Kathleen equally ruthless in having them both execute (offscreen) captured opponents and blurring the lines of who is good, or "right", and who is not. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 432February 7, 2023 1:24 AM

The show has never presented Joel as a good guy, there is nothing that really separates him from the other human characters he is killing other than we in the audience are on his and Ellie's side.

by Anonymousreply 433February 7, 2023 1:31 AM

I may have permanently lost my appetite for mushrooms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434February 7, 2023 1:36 AM

R431: I get what Craig and Neil are saying, but I think it exposes some limitations in Melanie Lynskey's acting. Think of what Frances McDormand, Kathy Bates, or Margo Martindale would've done with a character like Kathleen. They would've played her like a Karen in Accounts Payable with comedic aplomb, but you would've also got a small glimpse into the character's madness. You got none of that from Melanine's one-note performance. She played it too straight. It was as much the fault of the writing as it was her acting.

by Anonymousreply 435February 7, 2023 1:40 AM

[What was the name of the porno mag Ellie found? Bear King?]

BEARKING NEWS?

by Anonymousreply 436February 7, 2023 1:50 AM

Bear Kin

by Anonymousreply 437February 7, 2023 1:51 AM

Oh shit Kathy Bates would've rocked that character.

by Anonymousreply 438February 7, 2023 2:35 AM

I loved seeing both Murray Bartlett and Nick Offerman’s hairy bodies. Yum.

Murray is fit.

by Anonymousreply 439February 7, 2023 2:54 AM

It’s always fun when someone is horrible casting and the show knows it and then the creators/producers give lots of press about why a cast member/character is “brilliant” and that we need to be patient and trust the plan.

Michael Patrick King does this all the time, most recently with Sara Ramirez/Sex and the City

by Anonymousreply 440February 7, 2023 12:42 PM

The magazine was "BearSkin."

[quote]The show has never presented Joel as a good guy, there is nothing that really separates him from the other human characters he is killing other than we in the audience are on his and Ellie's side.

The show has never presented Joel as a bad guy, either. He's surviving in a post-apocalyptic world and is doing what he needed to survive. Nothing from "before" has survived, except his love for his brother. Losing his daughter was crushed him. Now, he's on this road trip with Ellie. He's seen that Bill and Frank had a relatively good life that he might have had with Tess. He has a chance now to get back some of his humanity by letting Ellie into his heart. That's why shows have this thing called a "character arc."

by Anonymousreply 441February 7, 2023 3:12 PM

Melanie took to social media to defend her casting and acting choices. I honestly do like her in general, but I still can't pretend it worked for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442February 8, 2023 11:53 PM

I like Melanie. She was bad and miscast.

by Anonymousreply 443February 9, 2023 1:47 AM

R442, aww, now I feel bad. Maybe she can turn it around next episode.

by Anonymousreply 444February 9, 2023 3:42 AM

You can't have Joel but you can wear his boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445February 9, 2023 4:54 AM

They need to quit with the stilted video game dialog. Which way should we go! That's the way Kevin said to go - but it looks dangerous! That door looks hard to open! Let's try it! I can't get it open! How are we going to get through! Ad nauseum. It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 446February 9, 2023 5:57 AM

Bella Ramsay is a real troll, but I do think she’s a good actress.

The last episode was a real dud, except for signs of the budding friendship between Ellie and Joel (especially the stupid dad joke exchange).

by Anonymousreply 447February 9, 2023 9:47 AM

Episode 4 had the misfortune to follow the brilliant episode 3. It was smart to make it a transitional to the plot. Agree with the others that it was dull, and Melanie isn’t believable me as a credible leader of that group. The filming and continuity geography is bothering me a bit, but they know most of the audience won’t pick up on it. There were what looked to be mountains outside the city limits of Boston in one scene. Once on the road, it looks like they’re in Pennsylvania from the map discussion, then they magically jump to KC. So it was clear sailing the entire way after 20 years of dystopia? No blocked or destroyed roads? No downed bridges? Roads would surely be one of the most vulnerable places you could be.

by Anonymousreply 448February 9, 2023 10:41 AM

I'm glad that the show at least gave a nod to the fact that, in real life, you cannot use 20 year old gasoline. The endless supply of flashlight batteries is still low-key bugging me, though.

Another minor quibble: In ep 3, at one point Frank tells Bill to make him some toast. Toast? Where did the flour come from for bread? (Remember, all the old flour is poisoned with Killer Fungus.) Which led me down a rabbit hole, wondering what the people in the QZs eat. They can't all be living on scavenged Costco remnants. Did FEDRA begin a forced labor farming program someplace? They would have had to, right?

by Anonymousreply 449February 9, 2023 11:38 AM

Food is always an issue in these types of shows. In a real apocalypse, people would be constantly scrabbling for food and would show signs of malnutrition much less than a year after the start of the catastrophe. The characters in Walking Dead always looked well-nourished, as do the ones in The Last of Us. It makes the idea of them living off scavenged tins of Chef Boyardee and the like ludicrous. It's simply another thing that requires major suspension of disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 450February 9, 2023 11:57 AM

R450 And I won't even get into how Ellie and Joel never carry water bottles around with them.

by Anonymousreply 451February 9, 2023 12:01 PM

The food situation cracks me up. I get that in the last episode, a prepper procured and prepared his own meat. But in episode 2 Ellie pulls out a sandwich that looked like it was made at a corner deli.

by Anonymousreply 452February 9, 2023 1:42 PM

Maybe they'll be roasting squirrels over a campfire in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 453February 9, 2023 1:58 PM

If it were me I would eat Bella.

by Anonymousreply 454February 9, 2023 1:59 PM

There has to be farming and raising of livestock in this world. We have Fedra and Firefly as two national organizations that seem capable of organizing some sort of food production.

by Anonymousreply 455February 9, 2023 2:01 PM

In The Walking Dead in the early seasons, most people were skinny and they did talk a lot about finding food and growing food. They had a shortage of clean water too, when they were on the road especially.

Pedro should have gone on a diet before this. They’re showing him and Tess eating part of a tiny ration bar while Ellie is eating a huge sandwich. He should be thin. You really notice it when he’s wearing Frank’s old shirt and he fills it out much more.

by Anonymousreply 456February 9, 2023 4:04 PM

Joel and Ellie drove past a herd of cattle and they sort of addressed the chicken sandwich - it was a desirable, presumably rare food.

I get that it might have been too difficult to cast actors with the 1940’s minus ten pounds bodies that people would have two decades after an apocalyptic event, but the portrayal of the food situation is disappointing. Not sure if my terminology is correct, but it think it’s bad world-building?

The population is large enough that they must be producing food. The idea that there are still canned goods to be scavenged and consumed is ridiculous. And there seems to be a federal government. So it’s bizarre that they can’t seem to produce anything else. Like gasoline or shoelaces.

They should have taken inspiration from WWZ, which is a surprising great book. It’s really a collection of related short stories and several touch on production of goods after the zombies.

How does the game handle it?

by Anonymousreply 457February 9, 2023 5:01 PM

I agree, but I’m glad Pedro didn’t lose any weight. He looks perfect to me at his current size. It was hot how he was wearing Frank’s shirt and nearly busting out of it. Mmm.

by Anonymousreply 458February 9, 2023 5:02 PM

I'm curious why Joel and Tess preferred to live in the QZ instead of getting a house at Bill's compound. It seems like it was the perfect place to live after a zombie apocalypse. They had food, gas, hot water and the place was extremely well protected. I hope Joel did not leave the gate open when they left. He should get his brother and get back there as soon as possible. Bill and Frank also had animals. Who's taking care of them now?

by Anonymousreply 459February 9, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote]They should have taken inspiration from WWZ, which is a surprising great book.

WWZ is an amazing book, the movie fucked everything up and it became Brad Pitt Saving the World. The book is not like the movie at all, and maybe one day a proper adaptation will be made as a limited series.

by Anonymousreply 460February 9, 2023 6:01 PM

What happened to all the people in this world? It seems like the fungus zombies are a rare occurrence and there's not a lot of them while there was an endless supply in the Walking Dead. They stay away from forests, Bill's village was apparently never attacked and most roads and cities seem abandoned.

I still don't know how people get infected. You can eat contaminated food or a fungus zombie bites you. But touching the fungus or contaminated surfaces, spores etc. is apparently not a problem. Jow fo they protect the QZ? You just have to keep infected people outside, but the fungus was clearly inside the QZ and that's not a problem? Is food production a problem? Can they grow wheat and vegetables in this environment? Produce enough good for livestock?

by Anonymousreply 461February 9, 2023 6:05 PM

Gay episode was pathetic and lame

by Anonymousreply 462February 10, 2023 10:30 PM

R462, you're in the wrong place, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 463February 10, 2023 10:56 PM

so on gay forum everything what gay is amazing? don't make me laugh

by Anonymousreply 464February 10, 2023 11:03 PM

Even straight people thought it was amazing and brilliant. It was anything BUT pathetic and lame. How pathetic and lame do YOU have to be to think that stunning episode was "pathetic & lame". You're in a very small minority, one populated mostly by homophobic closed-minded gamer-gaters. Congrats.

by Anonymousreply 465February 10, 2023 11:12 PM

You are an idiot! You would the same thing about that episode if it was about hetero couple?

by Anonymousreply 466February 10, 2023 11:14 PM

* you would say

by Anonymousreply 467February 10, 2023 11:17 PM

That's because it is about gay people doesn't make it "amazing and brilliant"...

by Anonymousreply 468February 10, 2023 11:20 PM

We have seen the fungus can grow old and wither away r466. Presumably a lot of infected have died over the course of 20 years. Plus we know the government bombed cities and killed off people concentration camp style at the beginning.

It seems the idea is the fungus is trying to find people. Joel says the forest is safe because it's remote, not people to attract. But outside of the Boston QZ we saw a lot of infected trying to get in. I guess they tend to concentrate where they can find new hosts.

by Anonymousreply 469February 10, 2023 11:23 PM

(just rolling eyes at R466, who has no fucking clue about anything, and absolutely no heart, and no taste)

by Anonymousreply 470February 10, 2023 11:26 PM

R469 What your posy has to do with my post? Maybe that tall guy was parasite, yes

by Anonymousreply 471February 10, 2023 11:26 PM

R470 no taste? it was like cheap soap opera, YOU have no taste. you americans love cheap tv shows. I bet producers were forced to that shit

by Anonymousreply 472February 10, 2023 11:28 PM

I meant to reply to r461

by Anonymousreply 473February 10, 2023 11:28 PM

All of you loved Bella as little fierce Lady Mormont, and Thandie's daughter is the spit of her. Ep. 3 was lovely. Ep. 4 was giving me TWD vibes, compound style.

by Anonymousreply 474February 10, 2023 11:41 PM

[quote] no taste? it was like cheap soap opera, YOU have no taste. you americans love cheap tv shows. I bet producers were forced to that shit

You're speaking to a group of people who still post soap opera threads on actresses and actors from yesteryear. You ain't going to reach through to Dataloungers who love syrupy melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 475February 11, 2023 12:25 AM

The gay episodes was great. But the meltdowns it created with incel gameboys and conservative cunts is epic.

by Anonymousreply 476February 11, 2023 12:29 AM

That's probably the only reason I applaud it because of the meltdowns from the incel gamerbros and conservative assholes on social media.

Other than that, the episode was about as saccharine as anything you'd get from the Hallmark channel.

by Anonymousreply 477February 11, 2023 12:35 AM

They go down on the Hallmark Channel? Where's my remote?

by Anonymousreply 478February 11, 2023 12:37 AM

Just finished the new episode. Melanie Lynskey never got better. The Henry and Sam ending really got to me.

by Anonymousreply 479February 11, 2023 2:10 AM

I'm happy to see Lamar Johnson landing more prominent roles. I really enjoyed him on Your Honor.

by Anonymousreply 480February 11, 2023 3:28 AM

[quote] Just finished the new episode. Melanie Lynskey never got better.

Which is why I found it laughable when the showrunners tried to spin it like there would be an element of surprise in future episodes with her. I'm sure they realized they fucked up casting her in this role, so they're trying to spin by saying, "Oh, just wait and see, there's a reason why we cast her in this!"

I agree with that one model on Twitter who said Linda Hamilton would've been fantastic as Kathleen.

by Anonymousreply 481February 11, 2023 3:44 AM

I can watch a show about mushroom zombies and buy it.

But the thought of that group of men following that pudgy, middle aged frau was too much for me. I never once bought it. Not the fact that a woman wouldn’t be blind with rage over the murder/torture of her family (that’s totally believable) — I just don’t believe those men would “follow” her. Just that voice and waddle would immediately crush any respect they held for her for whatever it was she did to takedown FEDRA.

by Anonymousreply 482February 11, 2023 4:10 AM

Kathleen got eaten by a child clicker and so her character arc is done r482

by Anonymousreply 483February 11, 2023 4:26 AM

I bet she comes back as one of them.

by Anonymousreply 484February 11, 2023 5:05 AM

R464, come again? This time in English?

by Anonymousreply 485February 11, 2023 5:40 AM

So, when you’re playing this game and it’s a scene with Kathleen or Henry and Sam do you jump and play them for part of the game? Are there other scenarios where Kathleen lives and all the others die and you play out her game until the end? Or you’re Henry or Sam and they’re the survivors and you finish the game as them? Will later episode jump back and we’ll follow their path to the end of the game? I’m really having trouble wrapping my mind around how this works as a video game? Are we to be clicking on some channel changing button to effect the outcome of the scene and change the course of the game?

by Anonymousreply 486February 11, 2023 6:25 AM

If Melanie’s performance was so bad, why didn’t they just overlay her with the animated character from the video game, it’s not like they didn’t already have that performance done and ready to go?

by Anonymousreply 487February 11, 2023 6:27 AM

That weird claymation character that jumped out of that hole at the end was laughable and reminded me of those stop motion monster battles in Clash of the Titans.

by Anonymousreply 488February 11, 2023 6:28 AM

That was Sarah Huckabee Sanders in her film debut.

by Anonymousreply 489February 11, 2023 6:30 AM

R488, that was actually an actor in a suit, not CGI. The little boy who played Sam said he was scared of the actor at first, then the actor took off his head covering and fake teeth to show he was a regular person. The little boy said he was not afraid after that.

That type of infected is called a “bloater,” from the game. It’s someone that’s survived a long time as an infected and is very hard to kill.

by Anonymousreply 490February 11, 2023 7:12 AM

R486, Kathleen wasn't in the video game; she's an original character created for the show. Henry and Sam were in the game and teamed up with Joel and Ellie, but they weren't playable. (I don't know if you have ever played games like Uncharted, but Henry and Sam function similarly to Sully and Elana, non-playable characters that will assist you on specific missions.) The only playable characters in the first game are Joel and Ellie, but mainly Joel.

The storyline in the first game is quite linear, with a few flashforwards and flashbacks when you play as Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 491February 11, 2023 7:12 AM

So, is this show just a pastiche? Henry and Sam are exactly like the Black father and son in Walking Dead and the whole unrelated adult man reluctantly caring for a preteen girl with a comic book fetish are a direct life from Station Eleven. There are probably other post apocalyptic memes from other works that I’m not familiar with. And the fungus taking over people is a big trope in literature right now with Mexican Gothic and What Moves the Dead.

by Anonymousreply 492February 11, 2023 7:21 AM

[quote] d the whole unrelated adult man reluctantly caring for a preteen girl

Shades of Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 493February 11, 2023 7:24 AM

I gave it three episodes to see the Emmy-bait gay storyline, but the show sucks. It took way too long for the IP to be adapted and by then zombie fatigue had long since set in. The girl is ugly and a bad actress. She looks inbred and needs to be beheaded. Please recast the character. Pedro is fat and needs to lose weight. The dialogue is generic and belongs on USA Network not HBO. The geography is off. It doesn't look anything like Boston/MA. There's not enough action to put up with all the other flaws. HBO is a mess. White Lotus, Succession, and Barry are the only shows worth watching. Their big budget, tentpole shows (Lust of Musk and Silver Wig Factory) suck and were made for plebs who lack discerning taste. Cancel them both!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494February 11, 2023 7:51 AM

Damn, R494, tell us how you really feel! 😂

by Anonymousreply 495February 11, 2023 7:55 AM

I think r494 is being facetious

by Anonymousreply 496February 11, 2023 8:54 AM

#5 disappointed me, but man, the two actors who played Henry and Sam were amazing.

I'll stick with TLOU because I've enjoyed being invested in what I've seen so far.

Also, the set design is like another character to me.

by Anonymousreply 497February 11, 2023 11:30 AM

I actually thought last night was really strong. The show is at its best when it focuses less on the game/zombie and more on the Human emotion trauma

by Anonymousreply 498February 11, 2023 1:32 PM

R496 "I'm not joking, bitch!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499February 11, 2023 2:25 PM

[quote] I actually thought last night was really strong. The show is at its best when it focuses less on the game/zombie and more on the Human emotion trauma

Honestly, that's when the game is at its best too.

by Anonymousreply 500February 11, 2023 8:05 PM

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have liked episode 5. It had human stories, wonderfully portrayed by Henry & Sam's actors, an emotionally devastating finale, and a big over the top zombie attack action setpiece for people who insist that TLOU should be an action show.

by Anonymousreply 501February 12, 2023 1:34 AM

R494 What a piece of shit human being do you have to be to pick on a little kid's looks.

by Anonymousreply 502February 12, 2023 1:17 PM

I though Kathleen would have a much more important role. That was it? I was expecting something seriously badass from her. But we got nothing, oh well, moving on.

Her long haired henchman was kind of hot.

Wyoming next week.

by Anonymousreply 503February 12, 2023 1:45 PM

[quote]What a piece of shit human being do you have to be to pick on a little kid's looks.

While I agree with your assessment of R494, that "little kid" is 19 years old.

by Anonymousreply 504February 12, 2023 2:08 PM

R504 She's still a teenager. And was probably underage when this was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 505February 12, 2023 2:49 PM

Mary Frau ^

by Anonymousreply 506February 12, 2023 5:51 PM

^ child bully

by Anonymousreply 507February 12, 2023 6:21 PM

Hysterical cunt ^

by Anonymousreply 508February 12, 2023 6:22 PM

This show is getting really good

by Anonymousreply 509February 12, 2023 6:45 PM

[quote] I though Kathleen would have a much more important role. That was it? I was expecting something seriously badass from her. But we got nothing, oh well, moving on.

I was very relieved to find that isn’t going to be the case. And that’s not a knock on Melanie Lynsky (who I thought was fine)…I was just dreading another rehash of Negan and The Saviors. I hope we don’t run into these people again!

by Anonymousreply 510February 12, 2023 6:50 PM

R508 Bullying sissy cunt

by Anonymousreply 511February 12, 2023 6:52 PM

I am digging the series a lot and think Pascal is awesome.

But riddle me this: wouldn't Joel have been smart enough to realize that Kansas City was likely a place with either a FEDRA QZ or lots of people living in it and thus would have chosen a route that avoided them going anywhere near it, let alone through it?

Or was that explained somewhere and I missed it?

by Anonymousreply 512February 12, 2023 7:22 PM

I didn't care for Kathleen as a character, so her arc only lasting two episodes was fine with me. Episode five was good, but I called the ending from the first scene.

The show is good so far. Episode three may end up being the highlight of the season.

by Anonymousreply 513February 12, 2023 7:25 PM

I don't get the whole fungus is trying to find people angle. Fungi don't have brains of their own.

by Anonymousreply 514February 12, 2023 7:32 PM

Supposedly the cordyceps that infects ants does take over their brains R514

by Anonymousreply 515February 12, 2023 7:33 PM

How many episodes are in this season?

I’m liking it so far. I also liked Kathleen’s short tenure, and I’m glad they didn’t drag it out half the season. The bill and Frank episode is still my favorite, but it’s an easy show to watch.

I’m guessing there was some significance to the Ish drawing. That must’ve been an Easter egg for the game players.

by Anonymousreply 516February 12, 2023 7:35 PM

R494: All people I don't think are hot MUST DIE.

by Anonymousreply 517February 12, 2023 7:37 PM

R486 isn't well versed in English. Can't you read? Look at the previous post, what exactly needs explaining?

by Anonymousreply 518February 12, 2023 7:46 PM

R515 So do the infected ants try to find and attack the healthy ants and spread the fungus on to them?

by Anonymousreply 519February 12, 2023 7:49 PM

"All people I don't think are hot MUST DIE" is one of the 10 commandments of DL.

by Anonymousreply 520February 12, 2023 8:03 PM

R519 it's actually very disturbing. They hang themselves on an edge of a leaf so a bird can come and eat them and spread it.

In humans it makes you want to fuck more.

I wonder if some types of depression are caused by some parasite or infection.

by Anonymousreply 521February 12, 2023 8:30 PM

Just catching up on the episodes. Melanie Lynsky should change her name to Miss Cast.

by Anonymousreply 522February 12, 2023 11:15 PM

Melanie is so good in everything else - don't know what happened here.

by Anonymousreply 523February 12, 2023 11:43 PM

Cordyceps is in my multivitamin! Am I in danger?

by Anonymousreply 524February 12, 2023 11:56 PM

Just bad casting. Not her type of role.

by Anonymousreply 525February 13, 2023 1:51 AM

This is a good fucking show, everything The Walking Dead wanted to be but wasn't. I used to laugh at The Walkers, they just weren't scary. The Clickers in this show scare the shit out of me. And they're FAST.

by Anonymousreply 526February 13, 2023 2:12 AM

R526 Walking Dead was good for the first season but stretched itself way too thin way too quickly. Too much filler. Would've benefited from a 8 - 10 episode season.

by Anonymousreply 527February 13, 2023 2:25 AM

All of the prudish, 7th Heaven, frau cunts coming for R494 can fuck all the way off. DL will always be a gay man's social enclave of real talk and bitchiness. Go buy a polyester, floral blouse from QVC to cover your hog body and know that your husband (with his tiny dick), who no longer touches your blown out cooch, sucks black man dick and takes it up the ass. For the fags siding with them, just know straight people will always find you disgusting no matter your pathetic attempts at mainstreaming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528February 13, 2023 2:42 AM

"the girl" heh.

She is 19 year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529February 13, 2023 3:06 AM

Isn’t she a gender neutral? Or a they/them now?

by Anonymousreply 530February 13, 2023 3:18 AM

That child clicker who climbed and flipped her way into the van with Ellie was such freaky body horror!

R516 it definitely was an Easter egg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531February 13, 2023 3:30 AM

Same, r526. The clickers in this show are truly scary. They're faster than humans and look absolutely sickening, enough to give you nightmares. The production team did a great job with bringing them to life.

by Anonymousreply 532February 13, 2023 3:34 AM

[quote]Walking Dead was good for the first season but stretched itself way too thin way too quickly. Too much filler. Would've benefited from a 8 - 10 episode season.

They also killed off so many characters that fans really cared about and brought in new characters who weren't as good and nobody really liked or had a connection to. They really fucked themselves with that.

by Anonymousreply 533February 13, 2023 3:36 AM

If this were TWD Joel would give a dramatic speech about how every life matters. Kathleen would appear remorseful before being jumped by a clicker. She accidentally shoots Ellie and the season ends on a cliffhanger. They both survive and we're stuck with Kathleen for the next 10 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 534February 13, 2023 3:38 AM

^^So true! TWD really had a lot of potential and the first season was very good, but they lost the plot early. It just turned into the same shit over and over for season after season.

by Anonymousreply 535February 13, 2023 3:47 AM

It's because they fired Frank Darabont.

by Anonymousreply 536February 13, 2023 3:52 AM

Rick left and they killed Carl. That was the end of TWD for me.

by Anonymousreply 537February 13, 2023 2:52 PM

R521 They said a few times on this show that fungi can't survive in a human body. U know this is just a show, but we're they lying? I believe that is true.

by Anonymousreply 538February 13, 2023 3:41 PM

R529;Yeah, a teenage girl

by Anonymousreply 539February 13, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote] Rick left and they killed Carl. That was the end of TWD for me.

I was done with the way they killed Glenn. After that, I stopped watching the show.

by Anonymousreply 540February 13, 2023 4:15 PM

I was loving episode 5 until the Stay Puft marshmallow man crawled out of the hole. Was that supposed to be the former president?

by Anonymousreply 541February 13, 2023 4:23 PM

R541 No, that was a bloater who is in the end stage of infection.

by Anonymousreply 542February 13, 2023 4:32 PM

Was there a bloater in any previous episode?

by Anonymousreply 543February 13, 2023 4:34 PM

So it WAS Trump.

by Anonymousreply 544February 13, 2023 4:35 PM

TWD was lame from the start. Too vanilla. Especially for that type of a show.

by Anonymousreply 545February 13, 2023 5:21 PM

Could someone explain why people insist on walking after a zombie apocalypse? Are these geniuses gonna walk from Kansas to Wyoming? Sure, it's hard to find a car or gasoline after 20+ years, but it can't be that hard to find a bicycle. It's 5 times faster than walking. Find a bicycle, genius. You can also bring heavy equipment like a tent or sleeping bag.

Also, how stupid was Ellie shooting at the truck? She only had 5 bullets for that weapon and wasted them all on shooting at an armored truck. She may need them for wild animals in Wyoming. I also thought the mushroom zombies were a lot harder to kill than the Walking Dead walkers. Their escape was unrealistic and way too easy.

by Anonymousreply 546February 13, 2023 6:49 PM

Why would they not keep some around?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547February 13, 2023 7:09 PM

R539 yeah yeah I thought she was like 13.

by Anonymousreply 548February 13, 2023 7:09 PM

The actor playing the bloater - that's alot of man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549February 13, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote]Could someone explain why people insist on walking after a zombie apocalypse? Are these geniuses gonna walk from Kansas to Wyoming? Sure, it's hard to find a car or gasoline after 20+ years, but it can't be that hard to find a bicycle. It's 5 times faster than walking. Find a bicycle, genius. You can also bring heavy equipment like a tent or sleeping bag.

YES YES YES!

In all the zombie shows I don't think I've ever seen someone using a bike as a mode of transport. I mean even get on with a baby carrier at the back to transport things or a rickshaw thing. And unlike cars they're silent.

AND if you get into a fight with a zombie you can quickly dismantle it and use the wheels as a shield and disc to throw, Captain America style. An easily removable seat can also be used to ram through a zombie's brain. Bicycles are VERY flexible.

by Anonymousreply 550February 13, 2023 8:21 PM

Not even a scooter!

by Anonymousreply 551February 13, 2023 8:37 PM

I want to see Joel and Ellie cruising on Segways next episode, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 552February 13, 2023 8:38 PM

R549…damn that’s indeed a whole lot of man.

by Anonymousreply 553February 13, 2023 10:05 PM

The kid was one stroke away from having Downes.

by Anonymousreply 554February 13, 2023 10:36 PM

Other than advancing the surrogate parent relationship of Ellie and Joel and telling (vs showing) us how evil FEDRA is, these last 2 episodes were kind of a waste of time, and getting us invested in helpless noble characters only to immediately and violently kill them off for emotional impact was very Walking Dead of them.

by Anonymousreply 555February 13, 2023 11:07 PM

But unlike TWD, we only spent two episodes with them and are now moving on. At least we don’t have to stick around KC for half a season or more.

by Anonymousreply 556February 13, 2023 11:12 PM

Speaking of how evil FEDRA is...

Anyone else get the nagging suspicion that FEDRA often had a point, that people should have been taking this all far more seriously and not sneaking out of the QZ on the regular with the not-all-that-small risk of bringing back Cordyceps and killing off pretty much everyone. in the QZ. And that killing people who were infected was actually far more humane than letting them turn into fungi.

Reminds me of all the MAGAts who didn't think Covid was a big deal until they were dying of it.

by Anonymousreply 557February 13, 2023 11:15 PM

[quote]But unlike TWD, we only spent two episodes with them and are now moving on. At least we don’t have to stick around KC for half a season or more.

Yes, but I'll be awfully disappointed if the key difference between this and The Walking Dead is that The Last of Us accelerates through plot more quickly.

by Anonymousreply 558February 13, 2023 11:17 PM

Same. TWD really fell off in quality after five seasons or so.

Is TLOU just one video game? Or are there multiple games that could last many seasons?

by Anonymousreply 559February 13, 2023 11:19 PM

Maybe it's just me but at one point and maybe it was the lighting but Pascal reminded me of a younger Liam Neeson.

by Anonymousreply 560February 13, 2023 11:23 PM

[quote] Is TLOU just one video game? Or are there multiple games that could last many seasons?

It's two video games. It seems they will cover the entire storyline of the first video game this season.

I agree that they killed Sam and Henry too soon. There was enough material to stretch that section out into a few more episodes. In the video game, you got to spend more time with them, so when they died, it hit harder.

by Anonymousreply 561February 13, 2023 11:26 PM

When do the Among Us assassins come into the show?

by Anonymousreply 562February 13, 2023 11:29 PM

My favorite line of the episode was Ellie's "That's just his normal asshole voice."

by Anonymousreply 563February 13, 2023 11:30 PM

I love Pedro’s asshole voice. Sexy.

by Anonymousreply 564February 13, 2023 11:31 PM

Where is Ellie getting all her glib one liners and put downs from, snarky kid sitcoms and Nickelodeon tween shows haven’t existed in her life time?

by Anonymousreply 565February 13, 2023 11:33 PM

She’s a natural Ms. Sassypants.

Though, a few times the quips have been so quick they seemed rehearsed. Like when she was looking at the porno mag and asked, “How does he walk with that thing?” It didn’t seem natural. Idk. There’s been two or three times where it wasn’t quite believable.

by Anonymousreply 566February 13, 2023 11:37 PM

She might have a quick tongue, but she’s not quick witted, I agree, even in a stressful situation firing the gun at the truck with a cow catcher on it didn’t make much sense.

by Anonymousreply 567February 13, 2023 11:44 PM

Maybe she was trying to hit the driver. Joel did it.

by Anonymousreply 568February 13, 2023 11:46 PM

The point seemed to be that she was essentially a little kid playing at being a gunslinger and had no idea what she was doing with a gun (remember the scene with her with the gun in the mirror)

by Anonymousreply 569February 13, 2023 11:48 PM

I like the character of Ellie very much.

by Anonymousreply 570February 13, 2023 11:54 PM

[quote] ... and getting us invested in helpless noble characters only to immediately and violently kill them off for emotional impact was very Walking Dead of them.

That scene may mean more than just killing off both characters for the cheap emotional effect, although you can't see that right now. Future relevance.

by Anonymousreply 571February 13, 2023 11:57 PM

Very disturbing that R494 and R554 and want to sexualize what is supposed to be a child.

by Anonymousreply 572February 14, 2023 1:28 AM

People who have no morals don’t abide by the normal rules of decency. They will even Go after children

by Anonymousreply 573February 14, 2023 1:33 AM

Yeah, Bella Ramsey fumbles a lot of her line deliveries. The little boy playing Sam acted circles around her.

by Anonymousreply 574February 14, 2023 2:47 AM

I came for you R527. Not because I'm a frau. Or straight. But because you're a depressing, humorless asshole. Which I am sure most people in your life have told you.

Love the clip, however. The top is hot.

Back to the show, I liked this episode. Especially compared to last week's. Super tense. I love the fact that tertiary characters will come and go. It keeps me guessing. It's almost like a mini, completed story within the larger Joel/Ellie ongoing story. Very compelling for me. I love modular storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 575February 14, 2023 2:55 AM

Oops. That ^^^ was for R528...

by Anonymousreply 576February 14, 2023 2:56 AM

I was dreading Lord Frau of Bartertown becoming a major character but luckily she got eaten. So it’s already better than The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 577February 14, 2023 4:15 AM

As has been said, The Walking Dead would've made the Frau a central character for multiple seasons. The Last Of Us is smarter than that.

by Anonymousreply 578February 14, 2023 4:48 AM

^I agree, they even kept Neagan alive in a cell doing nothing when almost everyone wanted him dead several seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 579February 14, 2023 5:46 AM

Did Joel really say he's 56? Why would they age a hot 47yo Pedro Pascal so much? Joel is almost a grandpa in this series. I guess we won't get 10 seasons of TLOU.

by Anonymousreply 580February 14, 2023 5:50 AM

Because if they went by Pedro's age Joel would have been 27 when the world ended. He had a teenage daughter so obviously they had to age him up.

by Anonymousreply 581February 14, 2023 5:52 AM

The Walking Dead would have already added 4-5 characters to Joel's group. I'm glad it's just Joel and Ellie, but it's also stupid to add so much backstory and then kill everyone after each episode.

by Anonymousreply 582February 14, 2023 5:55 AM

I feel like there's a happy medium between "introducing a character with a tragic poignant backstory then killing them off 5 minutes later every single episode" and "keeping Negan in a cell for 17 seasons."

by Anonymousreply 583February 14, 2023 7:04 AM

Agreed R583. What I hope is that they keep us guessing. Some characters get a one-off and then are killed. Others a three/four episode arc. And others a season or two.

(Game of Thrones did this masterfully.)

And I think a show like TLoU is set up nicely for doing just that.

by Anonymousreply 584February 14, 2023 7:44 AM

Here's the actual video game opening scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585February 14, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote]Is TLOU just one video game? Or are there multiple games that could last many seasons?

There are two games (the original and its sequel), and it's been stated that there will be two seasons of the show, one season for each game. And that's it. So two seasons and done. They have stated they have no interest or intention of "exploring the world beyond the game". And that's probably for the best.

by Anonymousreply 586February 14, 2023 2:42 PM

Game Joel looks like Gerard Butler. Pedro is an upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 587February 14, 2023 2:50 PM

I didn't know it's only going to be two seasons. I think that's the right way to do it. Don't drag things out, just tell a good story and end it before it gets tedious. Again, yet another thing The Walking Dead got wrong.

by Anonymousreply 588February 14, 2023 3:00 PM

Have they explained why cordyceps does not infect other mammals? Seems it would also hit dogs, cats, mice, cows, goats and other animals that lived close to humans. Ditto any monkeys or apes.

by Anonymousreply 589February 14, 2023 3:46 PM

Do the people who get chomped by the infected zombies turn into infected zombies themselves or are they just dead?

by Anonymousreply 590February 14, 2023 3:52 PM

Have you even watched the show, R590?

by Anonymousreply 591February 14, 2023 4:11 PM

R589 yeah that's something a lot of pandemic apocalypse stories get wrong mostly because any virus that deadly and virulent that could easily jump host species and then be spread within the new species would truly be the end of the world as we know it.

Side note: that's part of why scientists are so nervous about the current bird flu, for example: it jumps from birds to other species like pets, otters and people very easily, but hasn't mutated yet to easily spread from, say, otter to otter, or person to person. If it ever does, with a nearly 60% fatality rate, we're done.

In the context of the show, cordyceps is not a virus, but inn the story it made a huge evolutionary leap from invading the nervous systems of small insects to those humans. Nothing is impossible, I suppose, but that's nearly so, especially without infecting less complex species like birds and small mammals first. So the fact that there are no other infected species in TLOU's universe makes it all a little less believable.

by Anonymousreply 592February 14, 2023 4:37 PM

I would hope in a post-apocalyptic world there would be a eugenics policy that prioritized handicapped people! Those scenes with the deaf kid were rough. If I wanted to read, I’d grab a fucking book.

by Anonymousreply 593February 14, 2023 4:53 PM

Thread II

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594February 14, 2023 9:05 PM

R550 You would quickly dismantle a bicycle in a zombie attack?

by Anonymousreply 595February 14, 2023 9:50 PM

R559 After five seasons? You mean after half a season?

by Anonymousreply 596February 14, 2023 9:51 PM

I'm the Hays Code.

by Anonymousreply 597February 15, 2023 3:01 AM

Wow, how weird - was on another thread entirely on mobile and it posted my reply here instead. Sorry about that. See you bitches in the TLOU PT 2 thread!

by Anonymousreply 598February 15, 2023 4:03 AM

This thread...

by Anonymousreply 599February 15, 2023 4:04 AM

Is done!

by Anonymousreply 600February 15, 2023 4:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!