Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘The Beverly Hillbillies’ premiered 60 years ago today, September 26, 1962

60 years ago today, September 26, 1962. The Beverly Hillbillies premiered. It originally broadcast for nine seasons on CBS from September 26, 1962 to March 23, 1971, starring Buddy Ebsen, Irene Ryan, Donna Douglas, and Max Baer, Jr.

The series is about a poor backwoods family transplanted to Beverly Hills, California, after striking oil on their land. A Filmways production created by writer Paul Henning, it is the first in a genre of "fish out of water" television shows, and was followed by other Henning-inspired country-cousin series on CBS. In 1963, Henning introduced Petticoat Junction, and in 1965 he reversed the rags-to-riches model for Green Acres. Panned by many entertainment critics in its time, it quickly became a huge ratings success for most of its nine-year run on CBS.

The Beverly Hillbillies ranked among the top twenty most watched programs on television for eight of its nine seasons, twice ranking as the number one series of the year, with a number of episodes that remain among the most watched television episodes of all time. It accumulated seven Emmy nominations during its run. The series remains in syndication on MeTV, and its ongoing popularity spawned a 1993 film remake by 20th Century Fox.

In 1997, the episode "Hedda Hopper's Hollywood" was ranked #62 on TV Guide's 100 Greatest Episodes of All Time. The Beverly Hillbillies was one of the very few network situation comedies to feature multi-episode story arcs and was among the earliest farce comedy series on American television.

It finished its first season at #1, averaging 36 million viewers a week! It finished season two at #1, averaging 39 million viewers a week!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2022 9:14 PM

The timeless wisdom of Jed Clampett:

Jed Clampett: I declare, Granny, the huntin' in these Beverly Hills is gettin' sorrier every day. Me and Duke went as far back in the brush as you could go. The only thing we flushed out was a couple of real estate agents.

Must've been some of those "Selling Sunset" women...

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2022 9:00 PM

Justin Addison (Weather Forecaster): Madam, you have my assurance there will be no precipitation tonight.

Granny Daisy Moses: Maybe not, but there's gonna be a whole slew of rain.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2022 9:05 PM

Did anyone watch the 1993 movie? How was it?

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2022 9:13 PM

Like most people I loved this show as a kid, but as a lifelong car nut one of the big reasons I tuned in every Fall was to see all the new Chryslers that would be featured on the show. Of course my favorite being Mr. Drysdale's luxurious Imperials as they pulled up in front of the Clampett mansion.

To 7 year old me this was the height of luxury 🙂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2022 9:14 PM

The "Giant Jackrabbit" episode is a classic!

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2022 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!