Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘The Love Boat’ premiered 45 years ago today, September 24, 1977

45 years ago today, September 24, 1977, The Love Boat premiered. It aired on the ABC Television Network from September 24, 1977, until February 27, 1987. The show revolves around the ship's captain (played by Gavin MacLeod) and a handful of its crew, with several passengers – played by different guest actors for each episode – having romantic and humorous adventures. It was part of ABC's popular Saturday night lineup that included Fantasy Island until that show ended in 1984. The original 1976 made-for-TV movie on which the show was based (also titled The Love Boat) was itself based on the nonfiction book The Love Boats by Jeraldine Saunders, a real-life cruise director. Two more TV movies (titled The Love Boat II and The New Love Boat) would follow before the series began its run.

The executive producer for the series was Aaron Spelling, who produced several successful series for ABC from the 1960s into the 1980s. In 1997, the episode with segment titles "Hidden Treasure," "Picture from the Past," and "Ace's Salary" (season 9, episode 3) was ranked No. 82 on TV Guide's 100 Greatest Episodes of All Time. The Love Boat ran for ten seasons, including specials.

The one-hour sitcom was usually set aboard a Princess Cruises cruise liner called Pacific Princess. Other ships used were twin sister Island Princess, Stella Solaris (for a Mediterranean cruise), Pearl of Scandinavia (for a Chinese cruise), Royal Viking Sky (for European cruises) and Royal Princess and Sun Princess (for Caribbean cruises). In 1981, P&O Cruises' Sea Princess was also used for the special two-hour episode "Julie's Wedding", set in and around Australia, and guest-starring Lloyd Bridges, Katherine Helmond, Harry Morgan, Patrick Duffy and Anthony Andrews, among others. (The series was filmed primarily on sets in California—20th Century Fox Studios for seasons one through five and Warner Hollywood Studios for the remainder of the series). After being renamed the MS Pacific and spending its golden years owned by a cruise line in Spain the Pacific Princess was retired to Turkey in 2013 where it is being scrapped by a ship breaking company because no buyer could be found for it.

For its first seven years, The Love Boat was very successful in the ratings. During that time, it ranked among the top 20, and even the top 10, popular shows then currently on television. For the 1980–81 season, it posted its highest rating at No. 5. By the start of the 1984–85 season, the ratings were beginning to drop, and at the end of the following year, The Love Boat was cancelled after nine years on ABC, although four three-hour specials aired during the 1986–87 season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2022 6:05 PM

Another unique aspect of The Love Boat was its writing format. Each episode contained several simultaneous storylines, each one written by a different set of writers. Each set of writers worked on one group of guest stars and their story of the week. As a result of this, episodes ended up with ungainly titles like "Disco Baby/Alas, Poor Dwyer/After the War/Ticket to Ride/Itsy Bitsy: Part 1." This also led to notorious continuity errors, most notably in Julie's outfits during boarding and disembarkation, which were often inconsistent between storylines. Even though the cast of Charlie's Angels had been on separate episodes of the show, there was a crossover episode of the show in which the lady detectives had a case on the ship. On rare occasions, there would be crossovers between the stories. In one episode, actors Robert Reed and Florence Henderson, formerly of The Brady Bunch, guest starred in separate segments. In one scene, the two pass each other in a corridor, execute a "do I know you?" double-take, and then continue on their separate ways without talking.

In a one-time Fantasy Island crossover episode, the cruise ship makes a detour to deliver a troubled woman (played by Loni Anderson) to the mysterious island, and her storyline continued on that show.

There were usually three storylines. There was a pattern to the three storylines: one storyline focused around a member of the crew, a second storyline would often focus on a crew member interacting with a passenger, and the third storyline was more focused around a passenger (or a group of passengers). Additionally, the three storylines usually followed a similar thematic pattern: One storyline (typically the "crew" one) was straight-ahead comedy. The second would typically follow more of a romantic comedy format (with only occasional dramatic elements). The third storyline would usually be the most dramatic of the three, often offering few (if any) laughs and a far more serious tone.

The Love Boat theme song was sung by Jack Jones (except for the last season, where a cover version by Dionne Warwick was used). The lyrics were written by Paul Williams with music by Charles Fox. The song has since been recorded and released commercially by Charo in 1978 and Amanda Lear in 2001.

The opening sequence for the series underwent three different changes over the years. From seasons one to eight, the opening sequence began with a long shot of the ship before the camera slowly zoomed in onto its bridge area. This was followed by posing shots of the crew members (updated several times due to cast additions and changes throughout all seasons) at different points on the ship set. The long shot footage of the ship was used for the credits of the celebrity guest stars. For only the first season, the guest stars were credited by having their names appear on the screen while the show's symbol, a circle with four hearts in the corners (resembling a porthole), wrapped around them. Starting with season two (and originally experimented with in the fifteenth episode of the first season), the heart porthole was graphically put in place and at the center of the graphic, the guest stars were shown posing for the camera on different parts of the set (or a city spot used in on-location episodes) while their names appeared at the bottom of the screen. For the final season, the heart porthole was replaced by a crescent wave and the long shots of the ship were replaced by a montage of the various locations traveled to on the show. At the center of the wave graphic, the guest stars in this version were shown posing for the camera wearing their formal outfits against different colored backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2022 3:03 PM

The print ad for the premiere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2022 3:05 PM

Well, you can't win them all, Op... I know, lots of people loved this show, I just wasn't one of them

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2022 3:52 PM

That was one crap-tastic show…but then who was home at 10pm on a Saturday night, much less watching ABC. Pure 70s dreck

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2022 4:13 PM

R4 actually back then Friday and Saturday nights received high ratings. It isn’t how it is now.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2022 4:14 PM

It couldn’t hold a candle to “Love, American Style”…of which it is a rip-off.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2022 4:14 PM

And now it's BACK -- sort of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2022 4:29 PM

There were 3 The Love Boat TV movies in 1976 and 1977 leading up to the series premiere in Sept 1977.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2022 4:42 PM

45 years ago it was exciting and new.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2022 4:44 PM

On YouTube there's a video that has every single celeb intro from the opening credits

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2022 4:45 PM

^ And it's very, VERY long 💤😴

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2022 4:48 PM

No, r9. 46 years ago it was exciting and new. America had already become familiar with the love boat prior to it being a regular series in September of 1977.

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2022 4:50 PM

More former stars than there are in heaven!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2022 4:57 PM

R13, Wow what a shitty guest list of old people.

Ethel Merman

Cab Calloway

Ann Miller

Carol Channing

Della Reece.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2022 5:05 PM

I was in 5th grade when it premiered and loved it. I watched it faithfully until I was in high school. I thought a cruise was the epitome of an elegant, sophisticated vacation. All those tuxedos and evening gowns! I was often home by myself or watched it alone on Saturday nights. I remember bragging to one of my brother’s cool friends that I’d seen every episode and he was like “that’s nothing to brag about lil dude!”

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2022 5:07 PM

I haven't seen that much old trim since the last time I came onto Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2022 5:09 PM

R15 it’s typical gay behavior to watch every episode of the love boat.

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2022 5:10 PM

Guest starring...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2022 5:12 PM

Please post over the top cheesy guest star lists.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2022 5:15 PM

Like Florence Henderson in the 1976 TV movie pilot.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2022 5:15 PM

Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2022 5:16 PM

^^I want to laugh, fool!

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2022 5:18 PM

R2 all DL faves guest starring on that one!

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2022 5:22 PM

The musical backdrop to the "Meth, Monkeypox, and Mickey Rooney" episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2022 5:23 PM

I'm surprised more of the (many) cunty gays of DL aren't into it. I loved it, and watched it faithfully as a little kid, because that was better than going to bed early on a Saturday night. So many beloved classic movie stars, so many wacky one-liners, so many hot guys in swimsuits, so many later stars pre-plastic surgery. There's a Love Boat channel that runs 24/7 on Pluto, and it's such a fun antidote to all the shitty woke garbage being made today.

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2022 5:28 PM

Please note from the ad at R2 that the guest stars for the premiere included DL icons Bonnie Franklin, Meredith Baxter-Lesbian and Suzanne Somers.

by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2022 5:29 PM

sniff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2022 5:29 PM

R26 the OP video is the opening to the very first episode.

by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2022 5:32 PM

Marion Ross, record holder with 14 appearances.

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2022 5:33 PM

R14 clearly knows nothing about the great stars of Broadway and should be shunned.

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2022 5:33 PM

1975 to 1981 were my peak TV years. Ages 8 to 14 (before I became more interested in boys). There was nothing else to do on Saturday night at my age except watch The Love Boat and the chillier Fantasy Island.

I also loved all the TV movies of that era, from the serious (the one about rape with Elizabeth Montgomery, or the one with Ed Asner & Maureen Stapleton about Christmas and family, “The Gathering”) to the exploitative (Linda Blair in adolescent prison) to the absurd (“The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders”). I’m relieved, however, they never made a regular series out of the “Making Babies” series of TV movies.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2022 5:41 PM

R31 and what did you do once you were interested in boys in the 80s? Not like you could be out and proud safely.

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2022 5:43 PM

I’m watching the Love Boat right now on Pluto with guest stars, Donald O’Connor, Georgia Engel, Florence Henderson, etc. it’s shitty but soothing and non threatening or menacing.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2022 6:26 PM

^^^this episode is incredibly lame

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2022 6:45 PM

R29 I thought it was Miss Flo Henderson

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2022 7:03 PM

I'm watching an episode now, too, R33. Mostly dreck, but some good eye candy and the occasional good story or funny line.

Not sure what was worse -the writing or the acting.

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2022 7:11 PM

Vicky aka Jill Whalen was so unnecessary

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2022 7:18 PM

Didn't Princess Diana christen one of the new Princess line ships in the 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2022 7:23 PM

Who would've guessed that Gavin would have the most successful post-MTM series, well, until Betty and GG came along?

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2022 7:31 PM

The Betty White Show was very successful

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2022 7:32 PM

Everyone on this thread types fat.

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2022 7:42 PM

I LOVE The Love Boat and watched most of The Love Boat during the worst of the pandemic. Here's a link to my thread about it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2022 7:45 PM

[quote] The Betty White Show was very successful

Hi Alan!

by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2022 8:02 PM

[quote]Who would've guessed that Gavin would have the most successful post-MTM series, well, until Betty and GG came along?

The Love Boat ran for several seasons more than The Golden Girls, so Gavin still wins. Of course if you add GG to Hot in Cleveland, then Betty had more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2022 8:29 PM

God I'm so old, I remember watching that Love Boat/Fantasy Island crossover with Loni Anderson in its original run. That was quite the TV viewing event.

by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2022 8:33 PM

The Golden Girls remained on the Top 10 most watched shows of the year for 6 years out of 7.

The Love Boat was on Top 10 for 2 of its seasons.

The Golden Girls was the bigger show.

by Anonymousreply 46September 24, 2022 8:34 PM

R44 a few more seasons NOT several.

by Anonymousreply 47September 24, 2022 8:38 PM

[quote] who was home at 10pm on a Saturday night

I don't know, but if they were they were watching Fantasy Island, not Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 48September 24, 2022 8:39 PM

I was home on a Saturday night when I wasn’t going out to eat with my parents. I was only 5 yrs old.

by Anonymousreply 49September 24, 2022 8:41 PM

Comfort TV and was good at that. My only objection was the episode where 'Doc' romanced Juliet Prowse and it was so clear he wasn't close to being in her league.

by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2022 8:46 PM

Doc was seen as a hottie and not only was he not hot but he was old.

by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2022 8:49 PM

Lauren Tewes was a big fan of the nose candy.

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2022 9:02 PM

No one has mentioned Lauren Tewes and her cocaine problem.

I’m mentioning it now.

by Anonymousreply 53September 24, 2022 9:18 PM

Bert Convy was the producers' first pick for Doc, but he wasn't available. They also looked at Ted Bessell and Barry Coe.

by Anonymousreply 54September 24, 2022 9:24 PM

Doc may not have been the sexiest guy to board the ship, but Bernie Kopell was definitely one of the better actors to sail.

by Anonymousreply 55September 24, 2022 9:26 PM

Kopell and Fred Grandy had previously both appeared on The MTM Show alongside Gavin. Kopell played one of Mary's dates, and Grandy played priest.

by Anonymousreply 56September 24, 2022 9:28 PM

why he was considered the draw of the show is beyond me, and I recall watching it

by Anonymousreply 57September 24, 2022 9:29 PM

By "woke" r25 means "I don't want to watch any shows with non-white" people

by Anonymousreply 58September 24, 2022 9:30 PM

R58 what’s funny is that these shows had black guest stars and the bartender (one of the main characters) was white.

I think about shows like Star Trek and The Mod Squad, and how those were in the 60s, yet in 2022 the unintelligent Trumpers use that word in anything with a black person. Meanwhile, diverse casts have existed for 60 fucking years.

And gay men have no business complaining about woke, something they benefit from.

by Anonymousreply 59September 24, 2022 9:33 PM

I always assumed the Captain was a harsh taskmaster. Demanding homo sex and getting it from the milk toast male crew.

by Anonymousreply 60September 24, 2022 9:35 PM

I've shared this before here, but I'll add it to this particular thread. I had a particularly depressing, shitty and lonely holiday last year from Christmas through my birthday (January 4th) and spent almost all my time in bed watching Love Boat on Pluto. Definitely cheesy, but comfort tv for me and allowed me to fall asleep to what felt like a companion. Haven't watched it since though.

by Anonymousreply 61September 24, 2022 9:36 PM

R54 not available - wtf was he too busy at the time doing, guesting as a Match Game panelist?

I would have actually liked to have seen that though.

by Anonymousreply 62September 24, 2022 9:36 PM

I meant the bartender was black. Smh.

by Anonymousreply 63September 24, 2022 9:37 PM

R61 there are certain shows I consider comfort shows also, and like to fall asleep to or keep on as background noise when I’m not actually paying attention. Brady Bunch is one, Friends is another.

by Anonymousreply 64September 24, 2022 9:39 PM

We knew what you meant, r59.

by Anonymousreply 65September 24, 2022 9:39 PM

Speak for yourself, R65! I thought he was saying Ted Lange was a white man doing the role in blackface and I was preparing to have him CANCELLED!!

; )

by Anonymousreply 66September 24, 2022 9:43 PM

DL fave Bonnie Franklin was outstanding as Stubing's ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 67September 24, 2022 9:46 PM

King Kong 1976. Solved two problems with '33 and Peter Jackson versions. Brought Kong to NYC in a super tanker, not a raft (Huh?). And didn't portray Carl Denholm as some kind of heroic adventurer. The bastard was responsible for hundreds of deaths on Skull island and in New York. In the '76 version was correctly portrayed as a greedy oil company executive. Most satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 68September 24, 2022 9:49 PM

R53 why did Julie get fired from the Live Boat?

She forgot her lines! (Not the written ones!)

by Anonymousreply 69September 24, 2022 9:49 PM

*Love

by Anonymousreply 70September 24, 2022 9:50 PM

Why couldn't Gavin get Mary to guest star? Betty, Georgia, Valerie, Cloris, and Ted all made appearances.

by Anonymousreply 71September 24, 2022 9:55 PM

Featuring Lauren Tewes as America's favorite cokehead.

by Anonymousreply 72September 24, 2022 10:00 PM

I always wondered about those 70s - 80s shows: why they didn't hire talented, gorgeous people? It seems like they went down to the Hollywood unemployment office and rounded-up casts. I mean, John Ritter for a hot stud living with two sexy chicks? Balding, pudgy Gil Gerard for Buck Rogers?

None of the Love Boat cast went in to any kind of Hollywood career afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 73September 24, 2022 10:00 PM

I was out at some bar (NY) that night, I'm sure. I had sex with a different guy every day in September, 1977. I never saw this program until 1981, when I visited my father for a week. Newly retired, he watched it every day in syndication. It was the dumbest program I'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 74September 24, 2022 10:05 PM

R73 because A. Hollywood wasn’t as shallow back then as now.

B. Most shows were made for families but their target was adults, and most adults watching were from Middle America and not as shallow as people from NY or LA.

C. Most of the best beauties were for the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 75September 24, 2022 10:08 PM

It used a template that Aaron Spelling established with Burke's Law: a little bit of glamour and a lot of rather washed-up "stars" hired for scale and a days work to provide exposure.

by Anonymousreply 76September 24, 2022 10:09 PM

[quote] I don't know, but if they were they were watching Fantasy Island, not Love Boat.—Love Boat was at 9

Except that before Fantasy Island came along, Love Boat WAS on at 10pm, as evidenced by the ad posted by R2

by Anonymousreply 77September 25, 2022 12:16 AM

Vicky was a little cunt

by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2022 12:16 AM

Love Boat aired at 10 pm for just HALF of its first season. It moved to the 9pm slot in late-January 1978 when Fantasy Island debuted (bumping the past-its-expiration-date Starsky & Hutch from the 9pm slot).

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2022 2:39 AM

I loved it

by Anonymousreply 80September 25, 2022 12:12 PM

R77 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 81September 25, 2022 7:13 PM

Gayling me started watching with Ted McGinley. The first hot crew member.

by Anonymousreply 82September 25, 2022 8:42 PM

he was WAY hotter than the rest

by Anonymousreply 83September 25, 2022 9:06 PM

R83. A fairly low bar… though, perhaps a Ted sandwich —both Lange & McGinley?

by Anonymousreply 84September 25, 2022 9:15 PM

The gopher character was such a loser.

by Anonymousreply 85September 25, 2022 9:16 PM

[quote]The gopher character was such a loser.

No surprise that Fred Grandy is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 86September 25, 2022 9:25 PM

Ted was a golden Newport Beach god. Bonus points, funny on Married With Children.

by Anonymousreply 87September 25, 2022 9:30 PM

R68 I missed the Kong episode of Love Boat, would love to see it, I assume Kong takes a fancy to Vicki.

by Anonymousreply 88September 25, 2022 9:37 PM

R76 I think it also gave the guest stars a credit on their resume to keep them in SAG-Aftra.

by Anonymousreply 89September 25, 2022 9:43 PM

Grandy is on the Board of some extreme anti-Islam "think tank". He also had an AM radio talk show.

by Anonymousreply 90September 26, 2022 1:01 AM

[quote]I think it also gave the guest stars a credit on their resume to keep them in SAG-Aftra.

Once you're in SAG-AFTRA you're a member for life, as long as you pay your dues. Credits aren't required to retain membership. You do need to have worked a certain amount each year to keep your medical insurance, however.

by Anonymousreply 91September 26, 2022 1:02 AM

Fred was viciously slapped

by Anonymousreply 92September 26, 2022 2:35 AM

I like the episode where Gopher's college roommate has a sex change and is played by Mackenzie Phillips. I thought maybe they'd fall in love, but no.

by Anonymousreply 93September 26, 2022 8:38 AM

They likely just fucked

by Anonymousreply 94September 26, 2022 12:59 PM

Ends October 23!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2022 6:37 AM

Two corpses

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2022 10:02 AM

After it finishes, Bernie and Hal will be starting a joint OnlyFans account.

by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2022 6:01 PM

Hal looks damn good for 117.

by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2022 6:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!