Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Joanne Woodward considered too plain looking for Paul Newman?

I’m just curious because you always hear people talk about how good looking Paul was but never Joanne. Was she considered a plain Jane in comparison to him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2022 8:04 PM

He obviously didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2022 7:07 PM

Paul Newman didn't reach his mythic-level of perceived handsomeness until much later in their relationship.

At the time they got together, I'd argue that she may not have been Elizabeth Taylor or Vivian Leigh, she was still an attractive woman.

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2022 7:10 PM

I've always thought she was very plain and dowdy looking, although at OP's pic, you can see she has great bone structure.

I surmise she must have been dynamite in the sack/freak in the sheets. Either that, or she reminded him a lot of his mother.

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2022 7:14 PM

She was considered gamine-like in the 50s, in the vein of Shirley MacLaine. But she became rather matronly by the mid-60s.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2022 7:16 PM

R3 I think the new documentary about them had a part where Paul talked about how good the sex between them was.

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2022 7:19 PM

She was pretty but he was prettier

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2022 7:19 PM

She was what I'd call a "handsome" woman as they used to say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2022 7:20 PM

For the most part she avoided glamorous and frivolous roles, and I think that was mostly her preference. She was really a character actress in lead roles.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2022 7:22 PM

I have read that she did not photograph well though she was quite striking in person. Her beautiful complexion and coloring did not transmit. OTOH, we hear about people whose faces the camera "loves"--Marilyn for example, whose downy facial hair gave her a luminosity.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2022 7:23 PM

Oh, there's a docu on them? Where can I see that?

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2022 7:24 PM

R10 HBO Max

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2022 7:27 PM

In the Datalounge he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2022 7:30 PM

Thanks, r11!

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2022 7:33 PM

Joanne was undeniably pretty. Not movie star pretty...real life pretty.

by Anonymousreply 14September 23, 2022 7:37 PM

Joanne Woodward was a Neighborhood Playhouse / Actors Studio actress, who went after good roles and not necessarily glamorous parts. She was more about the performance than the way she looked. When she accepted her Oscar wearing a home made dress, Joan Crawford took her to task for setting "the cause of Hollywood glamour back twenty years."

That said, with good makeup, clothes, and lighting, she was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 23, 2022 7:46 PM

^^Mannish. Unremarkable looking - even matronly - at r15's pic.

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2022 7:50 PM

Sure ,Jan @ r16.

by Anonymousreply 17September 23, 2022 7:53 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2022 4:14 PM

She was pretty. And of course Hollywood made her even better looking.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2022 7:52 PM

I wouldn't calll her plain looking.

More like ugly.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2022 8:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!