Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question For Frugal Dataloungers

How do you save money? Give us some tips.

by Anonymousreply 378October 27, 2022 4:45 AM

Eat cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2022 8:34 AM

Start by dining meals at home a lot more often. Cut out Starbucks. Tell the boss you must have a raise.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2022 8:35 AM

Sleep with the boss.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2022 8:41 AM

I purchase evaporated milk powder and mix it up myself.

The cost is just 20% compared to the stuff you buy in plastic bottles. I don't have to carry heavy plastic bottles. I don't discard the empty plastic bottles to our shameful piles of landfill which are spoiling our planet.

I mix the milk up beforehand in a large jug and chill it for a few hours before use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2022 8:48 AM

Steal stuff

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2022 8:53 AM

I bake once a week.

I do two loaves of bread. A Savory Pie (Broccoli, Carrot etc).

A sweet pie incorporating fruit. Biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2022 9:01 AM

Have a few KTs at home and take an Uber. Especially at $16+ a drink..

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2022 9:06 AM

Cheat on my taxes

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2022 9:29 AM

What’s a KT?

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2022 10:18 AM

Cocktail

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2022 4:24 PM

Get a library card and use the library's audiobook app, Libby. The app has current magazines, books, and other resources.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2022 4:49 PM

Set up an automatic transfer to your savings account from your checking account for the same day your paycheck is deposited. You'll never even now it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2022 5:02 PM

Only flush your toilet once a day.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2022 5:04 PM

We never have food delivered.

We cook all our meals and only eat out on weekends.

We do this to eat healthily but find it also saves money.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2022 5:05 PM

[quote]Only flush your toilet once a day.

I can help you do it even fewer times.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2022 5:06 PM

Gotta love that someone on DL thinks "drink at home" is legitimate financial advice.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2022 5:12 PM

Take your car in for regular maintenance, especially oil changes.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2022 5:12 PM

I strictly limit coffee purchases and try to pack lunches. My budget isn't that tight so I could be buying stuff all day long at work but I don't and it saves a lot of money. My problem is some months of the year I'll spend that "saved money" on more meaningful purchases so it's not really "saving" in the end. Its so easy to find a way NOT spend 20 bucks a day that every 2 weeks you have 200 bucks you didn't spend and then there are things you might want for 200 bucks. 🤪

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote]Gotta love that someone on DL thinks "drink at home" is legitimate financial advice.

It is. You can save a fortune drinking at home.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2022 5:17 PM

You'd be surprised how much money you save if you stop drinking.

Over the course of a year, it really adds up.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2022 5:18 PM

Drop cable

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2022 5:21 PM

"My problem is some months of the year I'll spend that "saved money" on more meaningful purchases so it's not really "saving" in the end. "

As long as you're using saved money and not a credit card, you really are saving money on finance charges, past due fees, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2022 5:21 PM

Boxed wine, thrift stores, Trader Joe's, those alone fund my vacations.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2022 5:24 PM

I pay cash for my cars now. I force myself to save a car payment every month until I have enough for the car I want. It's really a great sense of control over your own finances, plus it kind of forces you to hang onto the old car a bit longer

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2022 5:25 PM

R22 I haven't carried a charge card balance forward a month in 20 years. I've been stupid though because I should be collecting miles or cashback and just charging EVERYTHING. I plan to fix that this month get some cards that reward me better. Maybe amex platinum.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2022 5:28 PM

Cut the credit cards, cash only, 15 year mortgage, pay your house or condo off, learn to cook, group your homeowners and car insurance.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2022 5:29 PM

Make a list of all your monthly & annual expenses, including the ones that are automatically deducted from your accounts. Make sure you really need to be paying for all of that. A few years ago, I stopped paying for cable channels ($80 per month), now, I only have cable for internet.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2022 5:32 PM

the most important thing is that you need to make enough money so that you can save some of it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2022 5:36 PM

Space conditioning (heat and cool) accounts for about 45% of the average American's utility bills.

So start here for significant ($$$) savings.

My overarching best tip: only heat or cool the room(s) you occupy. Utilize window units and space heaters. Your animals won't mind.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2022 5:36 PM

So embarrassing but each morning at 8am Ralphs(Kroger’s) they put out the previous days deli stuff and mark down to 99cents. Like this morning, I got a $9 container of broccoli crunch….99 cents. Griiled chicken breast or Grilled lemon salmon, $14.50 for 99 cents, tub of chicken salad for sandwiches, $10 for you guessed it, 99 cents.

The best find is grilled jumbo prawns in a mild chili rub that cost $22 a pound. They mark that a little higher, 1.25 for a quarter pound. Also the packaged salads are usually 4.89 a bag, day old is $1.50.

All in all you get to eat what the rich people have for less. I know, I know, seems so low class but I live on SS.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2022 5:38 PM

Switch your light bulbs to LED. I do hate the light they give off, it's never warm enough, dimmer switches help.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2022 5:38 PM

I never eat out. I took out some food from my favorite local Chinese Restaurant in August. I enjoyed it but that was the first time I ate restaurant food in 2 1/2 years.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2022 5:40 PM

I'm not one of the POORS but I'm driving the same car since March 2009.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2022 5:41 PM

1. Pay cash for the cars. Then hold on to them until they cost too much to repair.

2. Pay off credit cards every month. (We still get kickbacks for what was purchased)

3. House paid off early.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2022 5:49 PM

"I'm not one of the POORS"

But you are precious

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2022 5:51 PM

Walking or doing YouTube exercise videos instead of the gym.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2022 5:55 PM

r30 there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you are buying those foods. I always buy meat (except ground beef and chicken) the day before it expires because they mark it way down. I always eat well because of this and I don't care that I have to wait until it's marked down.

I also buy a lot of items at yard/garage sales. I have always said why pay full price when I can let someone else pay full price and I get it for a ridiculously low price. No matter what I want if I wait long enough I find it. I have really nice things and I have one item that there is one of in the Met and another piece that is in the Hill House collection. Over the years I have bought thousands of dollars worth of gold. The most I ever paid was $35 for a 1/4 karat gold diamond ring. Everything else was $10 or less. I wish I had been able to keep it but needed to sell it to pay bills, otherwise I would have had an extensive gold collection.

I have never bought a new car. I have a friend that I call the car whisperer and he says it's ridiculous to pay the price for a new car. The last car I bought, I chose 3 cars in the car lot and had him look at them. There was a nice Subaru but he said he wouldn't even touch the door handle because it had horrible vibes. One car he said was okay and the last car he didn't like but he spotted a car on the lot that had just been brought in and asked about it. He hadn't even gotten close to it but knew it was the one. It ended up being the least expensive and so far I have had it for 5 years and it was 3 years old when I got it. I have not had to do anything to it yet. The last car he picked for me was a '99 which I bought in '05 and got rid of in '17. It was a Nissan deluxe van with Everything Leather seats, a tv, automatic lights, etc. this was all new stuff in 1999. I paid $5,000 and had it for 12 years.

if you are on a really tight budget you just have to learn to shop differently than others,

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2022 5:57 PM

Get rid of all credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2022 5:57 PM

r37, it's good to have a car whisperer.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2022 5:59 PM

That's how I select my fuckbuddies. The fuckbuddy whisperer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2022 6:02 PM

I buy all of my clothes at Costco. I buy my underwear and t shirts on Amazon. I buy my sneakers on Zappos.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2022 6:10 PM

Hang on to your smartphone until the battery dies.

You don't need the latest model. You don't even need the last latest model.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2022 6:12 PM

I'm wearing the same Seiko Solar Powered watch I bought on Amazon in August 2012 for $121 with the same strap- everyday.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2022 6:12 PM

When I get a haircut, I save the hair and make sweaters for everyone for Christmas. When I get an oil change, I take the old oil and use it to cook. It saves on extra virgin olive oil. I've worn the same pair of socks for 30 years. When they get holes, I shave my dog and loom the hair to mend them.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2022 6:16 PM

Wow - great ideas for saving money!

My recommendation is to create a monthly budget for food, drink, entertainment, rent, fuel, insurance, medical expenses, travel, etc. and track your monthly expenditures each month. The free application MINT is helpful, but putting it all in a spreadsheet works just as well. Once you get it set up it only takes an hour or so to load up the monthly expenses. Good time investment if you're serious about saving money. Oh, I forgot to add you should create one or more categories for savings (retirement, travel, new car, down payment for home, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote]I buy all of my clothes at Costco.

I'd rather live in a refrigerator box under the freeway.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2022 6:18 PM

Get your clothes “used” online. On those thrifting sites they often still have tags on clothing. People sell things after wearing it once. Shoes too.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]Hang on to your smartphone until the battery dies. You don't need the latest model. You don't even need the last latest model.

I even had the battery in my iphone 6 replaced, which gave me another two or three years. It was $45, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]I'd rather live in a refrigerator box under the freeway.

Another valuable money-saving tip!

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2022 6:23 PM

Structure your life so you can use public transportation and get rid of your car. Money will start rolling in.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2022 6:27 PM

R44- Are you off your meds?

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2022 6:28 PM

I happened upon a K cup Kuerig coffee machine…..Still in box at Angel View (a thrift store) in Rancho Mirage for two bucks. Of course, when I use it I feel guilty for all the wasteful plastic from the single serve k cups.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2022 6:33 PM

R44 You forgot to use Saran wrap for rubber substitutes....

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2022 6:35 PM

Waaaay back at r1. I just had cabbage for lunch!!

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2022 6:38 PM

Well, aren't YOU the little fartasaurus, r54?

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2022 6:40 PM

Not yet r55, it takes about 3-4 hours for that to kick in.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2022 6:41 PM

Something I've just started doing - I carry around a "moon bottle" - so every time I go for a sandwich or burger, I don't need to BUY a drink or a bottle of water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2022 6:49 PM

Buy a Flowbee and cut your own hair.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2022 6:58 PM

R57 Be sure to load up on the s&p, sugar and ketchup packets while you're at it. Ask for a pen to sign your credit card slip, then "forget" to return it. Don't forget your visit to the mens' room to stock up on TP.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2022 6:59 PM

R4 does Carnation powdered milk taste like dairy case milk??

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote] Ask for a pen to sign your credit card slip, then "forget" to return it.

You still SIGN credit card slips where you live?

The thread is about being frugal and you sneer at me?

I'm not a miser as it happens but carrying around my own water feels good for some reason. Also means I'm not tempted to buy a sugary soda.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2022 7:15 PM

If you have a Costco membership, you’re already doing pretty well in terms of thrift as it has better quality merchandise (especially food) than other big box stores. I wouldn’t buy all my clothes there, but it’s fine for things like socks, underwear, and casual clothes.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2022 8:06 PM

R62 - I love these Kirkland Signature Butter Toffee Cashews which I buy at Costco not on EBAY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2022 8:09 PM

I thought I could economize buying used underwear online. Oddly, it is all really expensive and most of the guy ship it dirty. Now, that's disgusting! I never in all my life!

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2022 8:21 PM

Pay cash for all purchases under $100 and keep track of every expenditure.

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2022 8:21 PM

I was just going to say: track your spending. Make a few different categories (car / gas, food, clothing, etc.). If you have a Starbucks habit, but that in its own category.

See how much you spend per month. Then, figure out what's not worth the expense.

I no longer drink, but when I did, I switched to drinking at home vs. at bars / restaurants. First of all, I don't want to drive with alcohol in my system. Second, I don't want to pay that much ($12 or whatever) for one drink.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2022 8:30 PM

I found this nice Albanian fellow online, selling his used Balenciaga boxers for 75 dollars each. That's half retail so I figured it was a good deal. But when I opened the envelope this really strong musky odor overwhelmed my nose and they were obviously soiled. I think there were piss stains and even semen stains! Needless to say I demanded a reimbursement but he never replied to me so I had to throw the three pairs away. Live and learn.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2022 8:31 PM

Us frugal datalongers don't buy things we DON'T NEED AND CAN'T AFFORD.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2022 8:45 PM

Get rid of your smart phone and use a flip phone instead. MUCH cheaper monthly bill.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2022 8:52 PM

If you use prescription drugs, look into Mark Cuban's new pharmaceutical venture that provides much lower prices for consumers.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2022 8:58 PM

I still watch tv at night on the same 20inch Sony Wega I bought at the Wiz in November 2000 for $349.

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2022 8:58 PM

Walk where you can to save on fuel or train costs.

Don't buy coffee at cafes

Look after your clothes

Keep track of your spending

Here in the UK you can earn up to £175 by switching to a new bank. You could do this multiple times, get the reward then move to the next bank

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2022 8:59 PM

Pretend you suddenly realise who the killer is so you can scadaddle right before the bill arrives!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2022 9:01 PM

People saying use cash only are idiots.

I ‘m going to end up with at least $1500 in cash back this year off my credit cards. I am a single person. I charge/swipe everything.

by Anonymousreply 74September 20, 2022 9:09 PM

Yes it's silly to use cash nowadays. These are REAL luddites. In my town (Geneva Switzerland) it's not convenient to use cash many places. Pay by phone NFC. Collect points and rewards. NEVER carry a balance. Just pay it every month. You're a grown up.

by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2022 9:17 PM

OP is a fucking frau troll.

by Anonymousreply 76September 20, 2022 9:20 PM

Stop buying coffee on your way to work and at lunch. My neighborhood coffee shop charges $4.90 for medium iced coffee. Saving money ..,, got 14-ounce can of ShopRite brand for $6.99.

by Anonymousreply 77September 20, 2022 9:23 PM

NYT article today about people who buy CHEAP leftovers from restaurants and supermarkets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2022 9:25 PM

The best way to save money is to stay at home and do very little. Travel, shopping, eating out, parties, etc tend to be money bleeds. Bitching on DL is cheap.

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote] So embarrassing but each morning at 8am Ralphs(Kroger’s) they put out the previous days deli stuff and mark down to 99cents.

R30, none of us should be embarrassed, but I can see how that might be embarrassing to shop like that.

If you like Jacques Pepin (I do), he said that that was how he and his mother would shop when he was growing up. They'd buy food, like mushrooms and whatnot, when the vendors wanted to move product and marked down the price.

As long as you use it right away or freeze it, I see nothing wrong.

I started watching these YouTube videos of this guy opening up decades-old canned foods. Also, just doing food storage myself. I realize that things last a lot longer than we think they will.

No, you don't want to eat decades-old canned foods. BTW, tomato is the one canned (metal) food that the YouTuber said gets bad / eats through the can.

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2022 9:53 PM

You'd be surprised at how much people waste "fresh" food like milk, dairy, fruits, veg, meat/eggs/poultry. I'm not a big fruit person so that's not a problem for me but I try to buy frozen veggies I like like green beans, peas, broccoli, mixed vegetables and buy a few bagged lettuce mixes if I feel like a salad (not too many). Buy meat/poultry and form patties or separate and freeze, so it doesn't go bad. If you don't eat that many eggs don't buy a whole dozen or a small liquid. Basics like romaine, tomato and onion, garlic, celery and carrots and potatoes aren't expensive but don't over do on the lettuce/tomato as it spoils fast.

For those who have Aldi or 99Cents only stores: These stores have surprising house hold sections, sundries, odds and ends, that are CHEAP. I found name brand shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant and skin care at about 2/3 of the regular price. 99Cent only stores have good deals on produce and sometimes off-brand wine that's not bad.

Don't pay full price for vitamins: go to Trader Joes. Also their skincare line is excellent. And not expensive.

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2022 10:02 PM

[quote]I...buy a few bagged lettuce mixes if I feel like a salad (not too many).

I never buy more than one at a time.

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2022 10:06 PM

Growing herbs is much less wasteful than buying them. You pick what you need instead of having half a bag of rotten cilantro. I like to compost coffee grounds and eggshells onto my herbs. Perennials are rosemary, sage, thyme and then I grow parley, dill, cilantro, tarragon and basil. Mint is a weed, be careful with that and only put it in a pot.

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2022 10:21 PM

I only travel to Space in my own used vehicles, never commercial.

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2022 10:34 PM

install a tip jar next to your glory hole. Use a drill so someone doesn't take it. Straight men are generally decent tippers. They're not the brightest so leave a suggested tip list i.e. swallow - $5 extra.

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2022 10:53 PM

Rewards credit cards are the greatest thing ever. I charge everything, and earn rewards for the normal money I would be spending anyway. I pay attention to which cards are offering enhanced awards at certain times... for example, one card might be offering 5% rewards this month on gas and grocery stores, so I make sure to use that card at those places to maximize my earnings. I can't even count how many free airline tickets, free hotel stays, cash back rewards, money off car payments, free Amazon orders, etc I've gotten over the years all through strategic credit card spend.

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2022 11:16 PM

r46 is the funniest thing I've read here in a while!

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2022 11:17 PM

R46- Do you want to be one of the POORS?

Act rich.

by Anonymousreply 88September 21, 2022 12:08 AM

R60 Reconstituted milk tastes exactly the same as ordinary milk.

My friends complain that evaporating milk is a CHEMICAL process. But I tell them all milk is subject to all manner of Pasteurisation and other processes.

Lots of commercial oranges juices are made from Evaporated and Reconstituted juice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 21, 2022 2:20 AM

What are people buying milk for? To drink as a beverage, for coffee?

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2022 2:39 AM

But reconstituted orange juice is disgusting. How much milk are you drinking that using evaporated is worth it?

by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2022 2:45 AM

I have milk in coffee and on breakfast cereal in summer and on porridge in water.

Generally we don't drink enough fluids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2022 3:06 AM

Would I rather deal with the scourge in a marriott lobby? or the scourge to find a nearby coffee shop staffed by teens far too busy on their phone to clean a coffee pot?

I'll take my chances with an in-room, self-rinsed Koureg.

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2022 3:07 AM

Why not just drink filtered water instead of milk, if you're trying to increase fluid consumption?

by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2022 3:17 AM

Everyone needs to drink more.

You should be urinating yellow instead of gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2022 3:44 AM

^piss troll

by Anonymousreply 96September 21, 2022 5:00 AM

I use cash back reward credit cards and store cash back reward cards.

Just from shopping for things I need, I have about $85 cash back on my Walgreen rewards card. Most drugstores have these reward programs. $85 is not bad for buying items you need. You can also add coupons from these drugstores websites to you reward card or simply add them to your smart phone.

The problem with these rewards programs, you can only use the cash back amounts in small increments. At Walgreens, IIRC, you can only use $10 per transaction and for the credit cards, I think you an only cash in $50, to use towards your bill or transfer into a bank or checking account.

by Anonymousreply 97September 21, 2022 5:14 AM

I shop at a very nice grocery store, buy won't pay $3.99 for a package of basil or any other herb. I stop at the nearby nursery where the small plants are $2.99 and have a kitchen window garden growing. When they get raggedy or burned out looking, I replace.

by Anonymousreply 98September 21, 2022 5:33 AM

It's a lifestyle, and either you are or are not frugal. Do you check the price first, and always have? A good sign you're frugal.

Some people by nature don't count pennies. Nothing too wrong with that, but all the advice in the world is not going to change them. A lot of people actually feel good about themselves when they spend money.

by Anonymousreply 99September 21, 2022 6:10 AM

Cash back/rewards travel credit cards for everything, and never carry a balance! Cash is for dummies and there's no buyer's protection like many cards offer.

I've gotten $200 Amazon credit, about a week or more at Holiday Inn Express, hundreds off another hotel stay, three Amtrak trips, lots of Amex credits, $80 bucks free at Target and enough miles still for multiple transcon trips, or business class to Europe to come. The right cards and card strategies easily pay for themselves!

I cook all my meals at home unless it is a social engagement involving a meal. After almost a decade I'm a much better cook, even making my own homemade pie crusts, plus you save a fortune!

by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2022 6:12 AM

I'm fairly frugal, but find the idea of dealing with points or rewards exhausting.

The best path to frugality for me has been to cut the cord with consumerism. There is nothing I can buy that will make me thinner, younger or happier.

by Anonymousreply 101September 21, 2022 6:24 AM

R101 Lipo and plastic surgery....come on.

by Anonymousreply 102September 21, 2022 6:42 AM

If I had to live like some of you describe I'd probably kill myself. These threads are constantly on the DL and they never fail to be sad.

by Anonymousreply 103September 21, 2022 6:56 AM

r103 and that is why you'll always be poor or a ho

it's big biz especially for the younger generations that cry they can't pay their student loans because 120k is too little to live on and they've maxed out their credit cards, now relying on payday loans.

so, you can dish basic bitch advice on virtually any service and turn it into profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 21, 2022 7:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 21, 2022 7:07 AM

[quote] These threads are constantly on the DL and they never fail to be sad.

Threads about fools suffering in debt are constantly on the DL and they never fail to amuse me.

by Anonymousreply 106September 21, 2022 7:20 AM

[quote]I'm fairly frugal, but find the idea of dealing with points or rewards exhausting.

If you don't want to deal with scanning those little rewards cards, is scanning your cell is too difficult for you? Pretty sure you are looking at your cell most of the day. Add the apps, then scan your cell during checkout. Oh, how exhausting!

There's nothing exhausting about saving money. Everything we purchase is marked up. Everything. I worked at a buying office, I know what I'm talking about. Even rich people are frugal, some are downright cheap.

Ever wonder how Dollar Tree can sell items so cheap? Especially when drugstores sell most of the toiletries they carry and for much more. A body wash they carry for $1.25 is $4.50 at Rite-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 107September 21, 2022 7:22 AM

R104, I wasn't poor nor did I have to resort to being a prostitute, thank you for your concern. I just find the scrimping and saving, having to stretch every dollar so depressing. Really, to have to think about every dollar and worry about it would depress me. I know these comments aren't all coming from kids in college or those who just graduated and are starting out. I don't have what it takes to survive living like that. I shudder whenever one of these threads rears its head again. There but for the grace of God and a lucky accident of birth go I.

I don't feel schadenfreude, I take no pleasure in the hardship of others. I find it sad and sometimes I wonder what went wrong along the way for them. It's mostly bad luck and unlucky accidents of birth, at least that's what I presume.

by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2022 8:15 AM

I don't bother with rewards cards and points most of the time either. They do those to make you spend money. I try to just stop buying shit I don't need.

by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2022 8:15 AM

R108 there’s nothing more valuable than free time. I live frugally so I don’t have to work as much. It’s worth it to me.

by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2022 8:17 AM

R29, those small space heaters are a MAJOR DRAIN on your electric bill. Don't use them. Dress warmer.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2022 8:27 AM

Get a roommate. I have saved thousands of dollars by having a roommate for many years.

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2022 8:45 AM

I've heard a lot of horror stories about roommates. If not horror, it's huge pain in the ass stories.

by Anonymousreply 113September 21, 2022 8:50 AM

So if you buy your car cash, you walk in with thousands of dollars in hand or write a check?

by Anonymousreply 114September 21, 2022 8:51 AM

Yeah, you have to have a decent quality of life and mine would be shit if I had to share with a roommate, so that's something that's worth its price in gold for me!

by Anonymousreply 115September 21, 2022 8:52 AM

R114 Cash means not buying it on finance (because the interest rates can be very high). Unless possibly cash in hand to avoid tax but that's illegal.

by Anonymousreply 116September 21, 2022 8:54 AM

r107 the lazier path is getting a business credit card, most offer point systems, discount or cashback deals, so if you use it for all your transactions it builds up pretty quickly... the only trick to it is never spending more than you have and paying it off immediately.

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2022 8:55 AM

r113 buy or rent a multi-family unit or one with a granny flat. Yes, you can run into some conflicts, such as squatters and a few cities that extended or adopted rules akin to what happened during the covid shutdown but it's possible to keep your lives separate. You could also get away with renting out a rv, tiny home or more affordably a hunting cabin (they usually bypass construction laws, albeit, because they're off-grid and no bigger than a shed (yurt designs are rather popular), really. If you want to be nice about it, then you look into portable alternative.energy, greywater recycling, rain cachements, compost toilets, etc.)

There's also looking only for commuter roommates (weekday or weekend only), vacationers, exchange students, foster children, pet sitting (even), etc.

Or there's finding an intentional community, co-housing, live-work communal communities (popular with digital nomads)... there always more than a few in large cities and college towns.

or consider being a temp yourself... from becoming a live-in houseboy or personal assistant, caretaker (grounds or people), house sitter, some people desire live-in pet sitters too...

Or the external, harder to find and utilize, but there's also becoming a cash dom (or prostitute). There's many a hookup, especially traveling (for) business men (and some women) that get hot and bothered with paying someone... you can avoid physical contact by keeping it to unusual fetishes. Of course, you could do that online as well.

But there's also just temporarily renting your flat as a love hotel, soapland... there's many people that just want a discrete place to hookup that won't show on their credit/bank statements.

There's really a world of options.. growing medicinal pot for those that can't, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 118September 21, 2022 9:12 AM

R118 I would honestly rather just invest the money instead and live in a basic house/flat for myself. Dealing with tenants is not my thing even if they don't live in my space at all.

by Anonymousreply 119September 21, 2022 9:14 AM

r119 And how would you invest? share with the class.

I've got a few properties I rent as "hunting" cabins or rent out as agricultural land. . off and on, this extends to my personal property for "grow" space. Land can be affordable especially in the boonies but if you don't live close, then you'll likely need to hire a property manager... most real estate companies offer these kind of services but it can be difficult to find the right one when you're doing this kind of micro-investing.

The real benefit in renting out "vacation" space depends on your ability to blend it with side hustles, with your mini-bar grift.. commercial bath products, local food & goods (your own or working out trade agreements and ad sales with other biz), keepsakes, apparel, etc.

-- this concept can also translate to uber/lyft type gigs, too .. though such companies have their own bylaws that may be against it, it's still done by a lot peeps -- most popular are taxis with snack cart. Which is good for your club hopping crowd if you're willing to deal with pill popping drunks with salty sweet cravings and needing an excess of overpriced water.

There also some benefits with getting involved with fringe communities, like the amish too... and of course, providing services to shut-ins.

but I suppose all that really isn't so frugal as creating side hustles for a hopeful better cash flow.

And there's many, many side hustles you can do to supplement your income that require little effort, skill, time or investment.

by Anonymousreply 120September 21, 2022 9:30 AM

Jesus, R120, just get a better paying job. If you don't qualify for one, use all that "side hustling" to get a Pell grant (or whatever) and get a better education so that you can have a better paying job.

by Anonymousreply 121September 21, 2022 9:41 AM

[quote]Really, to have to think about every dollar and worry about it would depress me.

Being frugal for me has meant never worrying about money.

by Anonymousreply 122September 21, 2022 10:57 AM

122 responses, and no one has said DUMPSTER DIVING!!! Save money, MAKE money by dumpster diving!!!

by Anonymousreply 123September 21, 2022 11:45 AM

When Phyllis died it changed the way I lived

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2022 11:48 AM

R120 The stock market. Everything you talk about sounds like hell to me whereas I can just put the money in the stock market and leave it to passively earn money.

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2022 11:51 AM

I worked my butt off in high school and college in my math and science classes so I wouldn't have to worry about this crap.

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2022 11:59 AM

R126 that means absolutely nothing

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2022 12:03 PM

Get one of those meters to measure which devices consume a lot of electricity in standby mode, and consider pulling all of the plugs before you go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 128September 21, 2022 12:23 PM

R120 what’s with the “quotation” marks? Are you trying to say you rent out your land to grow drugs?

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2022 12:49 PM

R114, yes, or you get a certified check. I did/do what another post recommended: paid off my house in 7 years; buy cars with cash and hold on to them for years; use a rewards card; pay off credit card balance every month.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2022 12:54 PM

www.southernfrugal.com

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2022 1:31 PM

Set a budget for yourself and stick to it. Make a list of necessary expenses, things like rent/mortgage, transportation costs like gas, transit cards or ride shares, food and groceries. Look at where your money goes each month, things like online subscriptions, professional services like dry cleaning or landscaping that you shell out for regularly. Tally all this up and subtract from your monthly budget. Do you have money left over?

If so, good: that's what you save each month. If not? If your expenses are more than your income, or even if you're barely scraping by, you need to make some cuts in your expenses. Do you need every subscription? Do you need that expensive data plan? Do you need cable and streaming services?

Can you trim from your dry cleaning expenses, maybe iron shirts at home, or wear less dry clean-only clothes? Are you paying for things like grocery deliveries because they're convenient, but are they really affordable for you? Things like making coffee at home or eating/drinking out less are obvious, but really look at where you're spending. Cut the fat out of your expenses and adopt a more thrifty lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2022 2:18 PM

Don't buy anything, don't go out, don't do anything. One subscription a year to DL and you never have to spend anything on anything again.

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2022 2:20 PM

I don't smoke cigarettes, but just yesterday I saw a young man picking up semi used cigs off of the ground and smoking what was left of them. Given the price of cigarettes these days, it is a good way to be frugal on your smoking habit.

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2022 2:30 PM

r121 pre-covid, my field was dismantled and redistributed to create more jobs. During the crisis, federal subsidiaries ended and post-crisis, has yet to resume nor have alternatives even met the planning stages yet. So, the work environment is completely geared in another direction and focused on younger, healthier, entry level part-timers and temps doing more for less hours and benefits. Now, I could relocate, get back into travel or become involved with remote options work where my legal risk factor is increrased over 200%.

We could get into individual and familial costs and whether or not you believe people should be a burden on the state. Even if that was the case, there are numerous limitations in subsidized and social healthcare and just general living. . . and render anyone with complicated but manageable issues more permanently disabled.

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2022 2:44 PM

r129 in this case, no. It's more akin to a community gardening plot. . . to which most participants are more interested in flowers and decorative plants for non-commercial purpose, let alone.herbs, fruits, vegetables or renewable resources; micro or otherwise. Though, we have periodically co-partnered with nonprofit farming and farming education initiatives and even extended it to small heritiage and endangered livestock for improving herd genetics.

by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2022 3:11 PM

[quote]I still watch tv at night on the same 20inch Sony Wega I bought at the Wiz in November 2000 for $349.

That's not frugal. That's just sad.

You only have one life and you're going to spend it watching a 20-inch TV?

by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2022 3:16 PM

r129 though, depending on one's circumstances and local needs, they should be open to a plethora of possibilities. In more urban environments, there are many that simply require social, creative or build spaces. Others may do better with offering space for them to store recreation or other vehicles. Or use of storage. . . in an informal capacity than formally creating a licensed business... as most don't have the initial startup capital nor the vested interest or resources to make it a legitimate business.

So, it can fall in a legal gray area. Sometimes venturing more towards the potentially illegal or simply, difficult to regulate or thoroughly unregulated areas.

a lot of this can be akin to having a lemonade stand.

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2022 3:19 PM

^ or subleasing the space for a lemonade stand.

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2022 3:20 PM

additionally, depending on your local zoning laws.. you may able to host advertising signs as well.

by Anonymousreply 140September 21, 2022 3:22 PM

Trader Joe’s vitamins are ridiculously cheap. The melatonin works wonders. So does their retinol.

Buying coffee is the biggest expensive scam there is.

And no shame to the Ralph’s discount shopper. Endcaps and clearance sales have great items. I always buy bread that’s discounted and freeze right away.

by Anonymousreply 141September 21, 2022 3:30 PM

[quote]Trader Joe’s vitamins are ridiculously cheap.

STOP buying vitamins. Period.

It has been proven a million times they are useless and do not enhance one's health, plus vitamins and supplements are a wholly unregulated market. They don't have quality control laws and the only time it comes up is when they poison someone! Waste of money!

by Anonymousreply 142September 21, 2022 3:43 PM

[quote] There but for the grace of God and a lucky accident of birth go I.

Well, have some damn compassion, then, rather than waxing about how you find these threads so very sad.

by Anonymousreply 143September 21, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote] I saw a young man picking up semi used cigs off of the ground and smoking what was left of them.

The taste of a previously-burned cigarette is awful, even if you, yourself, were the one who smoked it.

by Anonymousreply 144September 21, 2022 4:11 PM

DO NOT use Amazon. It is an addictive platform likened after casino slot machines (not a joke) to create more and more consumption. Also, ppl are fooled into believing that by paying 15 bucks a month, they are getting a deal. So, they are paying that ON TOP of huge consumerism. The technology is genius and makes us suckers.

People are spending hundreds of dollars without even considering it.

by Anonymousreply 145September 21, 2022 4:17 PM

I use Amazon. I buy mostly consumables, everyday things that I need.

by Anonymousreply 146September 21, 2022 4:23 PM

r103 r108 does not appear to be YMF.

by Anonymousreply 147September 21, 2022 4:27 PM

Stay home. Sell car. No tv subscription. No friends (they expect birthday and Christmas cards/gifts). 3 min showers once a week. No AC.

by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2022 5:18 PM

R148, if you’re taking 3 minute showers once a week, you won’t be making any friends.

by Anonymousreply 149September 21, 2022 5:46 PM

R137 and he tells DL about it several times a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 21, 2022 5:48 PM

R142. The "Scientific Studies" claiming vitamins and supplements are of no value, are paid for by Pharma companies.

by Anonymousreply 151September 21, 2022 6:32 PM

When on rare occasion you eat out. Go to McDonald’s for a cheeseburger and cup of ice water

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote]Get one of those meters to measure which devices consume a lot of electricity in standby mode, and consider pulling all of the plugs before you go to bed.

I've unplugged every piece of electronic equipment and even lamps which are not in use. All my components are unplugged, even the extra TV in my spare room is unplugged. That TV, which is only used when a guest is over, it has an antenna, there's no cable on that TV.

If you still have a landline, it's now run via electricity, the copper wires are now obsolete. So, still having a landline also brings up an electric bill.

I read that even a coffeemaker uses up a ton of electricity. After my two cups of coffee in the morning, I immediately shut the coffeemaker off and unplug it. It's the type which shuts off automatically, but there's no point in keeping it on and waiting until it auto shuts off. There's also no reason to keep it plugged in.

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2022 8:40 PM

Scrape sugar off of a donut for tomorrow’s cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2022 8:41 PM

Meant to post, all the electronic equipment I don't use is unplugged. I have a living room TV, my desktop computer, the modem, printer etc always plugged in.

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2022 8:42 PM

Have any of you actually seen a noticeable reduction in your energy bill after taking extreme measures like unplugging TVs and lamps that aren't in use? How much savings did you see in one billing cycle?

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote]Have any of you actually seen a noticeable reduction in your energy bill after taking extreme measures like unplugging TVs and lamps that aren't in use? How much savings did you see in one billing cycle?

Yes, I have, definitely. I live in an average size pre-war co-op. One month, my electric bill was $70, the next month it was $54. Con Ed is my provider, they have the perfect name CON.

It's obvious Con Ed purposely raises kilowatt per minute charges during the Summer, it's spelled out on my monthly maintenance bill. When I bought my co-op electricity was included in the maintenance, not anymore. A law was passed that buildings over certain height are no longer allowed to include 'free' electricity. Individual meters were added.

This law includes apartment is rental buildings over six stories as well as co-op and condo buildings. If new build co-ops and condos are including electricity, they need to get it together by 2025. That's when these buildings will all need to have separate electric meters installed.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2022 8:56 PM

[quote] It has been proven a million times they are useless

Even vitamin D? She was told to take it and her levels became too high. They do work.

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2022 9:07 PM

R156, there are articles now which say you save next to nothing doing that. I was also looking into it.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2022 9:08 PM

Some idiot unplugs LAMPS which are not in use?

WHERE IS THE SCIENCE to justify that?

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2022 9:11 PM

"Unplugging devices could save the average household up to $100 per year."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2022 9:41 PM

Vitamins and other supplements are probably useless for non-pregnant people in generally good health with a varied and balanced diet and no absorption issues.

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2022 9:52 PM

Everything computer-related, including my Wi-Fi router, is plugged into a surge protector strip that has a switch. Before I go to bed, I switch off the surge protector. My Wi-Fi router emits quite a bit of light. I live in a studio, so I don't need that light shining while I'm trying to sleep, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2022 10:00 PM

R30 I'm jealous! That sounds amazing and I'd love to get discounted luxurious foods.

Strict budgeting and resisting lifestyle creep to pay off the mortgage when I was young worked for me. Start early, kids. But also, avoid consumer debt - even if you're not a saver, a bit of delayed gratification will mean that you can spend the money on better stuff than interest payments.

by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2022 10:10 PM

Foaming soap is nearly all water. The cost is the plastic bottle. Buy one bottle. When finished using, keep the bottle and make your own foamy soap. It's basically 2 or 3 tablespoons of liquid soap and the rest is water. I add boiled filtered water.

I do this until the pump fails. Then buy another bottle and repeat. If a bottle of foaming soap is $3 but I can refill it 20 times, that is spending $60 versus $3-5 in liquid soap and water.

And it's better for the environment too. I actually started doing this because I hated buying so much plastic.

by Anonymousreply 165September 21, 2022 10:15 PM

I use a body wash (Aveeno) for everything: face, body, hands, and even hair/scalp. I have thick, unruly hair, so I usually use a hair conditioner as a shampoo. When there's buildup (of cond.), I will use the Aveeno to strip it down a bit.

I have nice skin, including the skin on my face and hands.

by Anonymousreply 166September 21, 2022 10:24 PM

R166 you’re very fortunate.

I use Kiehl’s products, Clinique, Mario Badescu, Strivectin

by Anonymousreply 167September 21, 2022 11:02 PM

I keep $10k in my checking account…anything over that after I pay my monthly expenses gets transferred to savings or an investment account. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 168September 21, 2022 11:39 PM

Learn to substitute items in recipes when cooking at home, like subbing oil for butter in a cake. Use what you have on hand. Clean out your cupboards, store your food properly, and scrape out those food containers with a rubber spatula, get every last morsel…

by Anonymousreply 169September 22, 2022 12:27 AM

Nearly all my electric bill is for lights (and refrigerator), and there was a huge drop several years ago when I ditched the incandescent bulbs.

by Anonymousreply 170September 22, 2022 7:18 AM

[quote]Some idiot unplugs LAMPS which are not in use?

You're the "idiot". I was talking about lamps where the switches are always left in the on position and are plugged into outlets which are generated by wall switches, got that?

Two of my lamps are in areas where I can't get to switch them off and get to the wires, since these lamps are rarely used, it was easier to simply unplug those lamps.

In a lot of homes, and apartments, electricity is generated via a wall switch. Well, duh. One of my celling fixtures broke, it's in a room I use for storage. I noticed I inadvertently switched on the wall switch, then left it in that position. The switch was in the on position for about three weeks.

The wall switch was on all those weeks, even though the ceiling fixture was broken, the switch being in the on position caused my electric bill to be higher that month. Obviously the electricity was still flowing even though the connected fixture was broken. That was another reason the lamps were unplugged, they were plugged into outlets generated by the wall switch.

Maybe you should do some fucking research BEFORE calling someone an "idiot".

by Anonymousreply 171September 22, 2022 8:43 AM

R162 Only women get pregnant, just saying….

by Anonymousreply 172September 22, 2022 9:21 AM

My bank has a thing where you can create separate accounts within your account.

Create a “Vacation,” acct, an “Entertainment,” acct, a “Home Repairs,” acct because you’ll need to renovate every X years etc.. Especially considering that refrigerators, dishwashers, tvs and freezers are crap now and need to be replaced every five years. Also need an “Insurance,” account for your annual vehicle(s), house, home security company, dental, health and life insurance.

Then never ever touch them except for what they’re designated for.

by Anonymousreply 173September 22, 2022 9:42 AM

R165, why not just buy a stainless steel refillable bottle?

by Anonymousreply 174September 22, 2022 9:49 AM

I hand launder my Q-Tips, they last for years now.

by Anonymousreply 175September 22, 2022 10:48 AM

The other side of the coin is, with inflation and all, does saving pennies here and there really matter?

by Anonymousreply 176September 22, 2022 11:07 AM

R171 I still don't get the logic. The lamp use electricity when the bulb is lit. If the bulb bursts there no electricity being used, even if the wall switch is on.

Are you under the impression a wall switch consumes electricity when nothing is turned on.

Electronics in standby consume electricity when not in operation. A light bulb does not.

by Anonymousreply 177September 22, 2022 11:12 AM

This is a really interesting read!

I learnt recently that it's cheaper to heat water on a gas hob than it is to use an electric kettle. While plug-in kettles are more energy efficient, because electricity costs more, less efficient gas still works out cheaper.

The same thing applies to electric plate and induction hobs. More energy efficient, yes, but less cost efficient than gas.

This is for the U.K. The same rule may not apply to other European countries, across the pond or down under!

by Anonymousreply 178September 22, 2022 11:26 AM

You all sound like Mary Beth Lacey what with all this nickel and diming talk and cutting coupons.

I remember many years ago when people used to cut coupons, is that still a thing in the USA? I’m guessing it’s all online these days.

by Anonymousreply 179September 22, 2022 11:59 AM

R179 No, people have moved on from those Sunday newspaper coupons, since nobody buys the Sunday paper anymore. They now collect green stamps, instead.

by Anonymousreply 180September 22, 2022 12:07 PM

In Britain the wall sockets have on/off switches. Why doesn’t the US start doing the same?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 22, 2022 12:08 PM

Wait, America doesn't have on/off switches?! Why not?

by Anonymousreply 182September 22, 2022 12:11 PM

Carrots, potatoes, legumes, rice, pasta without meat, porridge in the morning for breakfast. Cooking and eating at home can save a lot of money. Sell your car and use public transportation or cycle/walk to work. Buy less stuff, lots of the stuff we buy we don't really need. Buy bulk. Aldi.

by Anonymousreply 183September 22, 2022 12:18 PM

Americans are always on.

(Some hotels do)

by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2022 12:19 PM

R182 American voltage is about half that in Britain, so there are more safety measures -- like fuses in plugs -- in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 185September 22, 2022 12:23 PM

Thanks ElderLez and R185. I have been to the U.S. - and stayed in hotels - so I thought I was misremembering.

by Anonymousreply 186September 22, 2022 12:25 PM

They have foamy soap on stainless steel bottles? In any case, the pumps do stop working after awhile.

I do have multiple ss water bottles in different sizes and carrying one wherever I go is another frugal tip. It's good for your health too. Prevents me from buying junky sugary beverages when I'm simply thirsty and a sip of water will do.

by Anonymousreply 187September 22, 2022 12:32 PM

For clothes and smaller household items, the thrift store is my first stop. I will only buy new if I can't find it in the thrift store and I need it now. Usually these things aren't urgent so it's usually a matter of browsing and things popping up eventually. I have a $5 toaster oven that I've been using for about 10 years now.

by Anonymousreply 188September 22, 2022 12:39 PM

Stop using your tumble dryer as often. Air dry items you can place on a rack, or if you're really gung ho, build you an outdoor clothesline.

You'd be surprised how much electricity clothes dryers suck up. Gas dryers are cheaper to operate, but are rarer and more expensive to purchase.

by Anonymousreply 189September 22, 2022 2:29 PM

i "borrow" toilet paper

by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2022 2:31 PM

Darn socks while listening to your stories on the wireless.

by Anonymousreply 191September 22, 2022 3:47 PM

Batch cook and freeze.

by Anonymousreply 192September 22, 2022 7:05 PM

Some of these are over the top unless you really NEED to watch every single penny. Like most things in life all that is needed is moderation. Life is too short to go around pulling power on every appliance you own every night.

by Anonymousreply 193September 23, 2022 7:56 AM

A 65% increase in the cost of electricity compared with last winter where I live (in the US) has been announced. It's possible that some folks may need to do things they previously thought were ridiculous to reduce their energy consumption. Some of the elder gays on DL whose parents grew up poor in the Great Depression may have been raised to sacrifice to save money. Sometimes, that comes in handy.

by Anonymousreply 194September 23, 2022 8:16 AM

Jesus, r194, where are you? What’s driving the increase? That’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 195September 23, 2022 8:22 AM

A 65% increase?! R194, is Con Ed your provider, because they're quite unscrupulous.

Every Summer it's the some old bullshit with Con Ed, apparently, they don't do much upkeep of their equipment or they do this purpose, so their workers get make even more money by working overtime to fix all their problems. Con Ed sure pays well and their retirees receive some great pensions. A relative bought three home son their Con Ed salary, then pension. They guy barely graduated high school.

Every damn Summer Con Ed asks their customers to curtail using their air conditioners during certain times of the day. This is always a problem , this has ben going on for many years. Why aren't they working on it? Why can't it be resolved?

Then, their are the horror stores of people and their pets getting electrocuted walking over manholes in the city. Con Ed, they are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 196September 23, 2022 10:57 AM

R196 National Grid, in New England. I don’t think the folks pushing the use of electric heat pumps (rather than natural gas or oil) to reduce climate change are going to get much traction up here.

by Anonymousreply 197September 23, 2022 11:12 AM

Piss in the basin

by Anonymousreply 198September 23, 2022 12:16 PM

Reusable washcloths for shit wipes

by Anonymousreply 199September 23, 2022 1:01 PM

Tubs of Crisco

Anal lune

Edging

Moisture grease

by Anonymousreply 200September 23, 2022 1:04 PM

Dig holes and shit in your garden, it’s good compost and saves water with not flushing. Air out your socks and underpants on a washing line every couple of days, then you will only have to wash them maybe every 10 days. Flip your sheets to save on washing. When visiting friends, take a quick shower whilst using the bathroom, they’ll be none the wiser.

by Anonymousreply 201September 23, 2022 1:14 PM

Shopping the sales = Frugal

Stealing soaps and shitting in the garden = Being a CHEAP CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 202September 23, 2022 1:23 PM

r197: Plenty o' heat pumps being installed in New England. Canada too. And in Scandinavia. Google it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 23, 2022 1:32 PM

I meal plan strictly. I hate wasting food.

by Anonymousreply 204September 23, 2022 1:43 PM

R202 = fucking thick idiot who wouldn’t know humour if it slapped him across the face. Let’s all pray for him.

by Anonymousreply 205September 23, 2022 2:56 PM

If have some favorite dishes that cause me to go to particular restaurants to enjoy them, I get cookbooks or go online and learn to make whatever it is.

Often they're not *exactly* like my restaurants' offerings, but close enough and I prepare enjoyable meals much cheaper than buying it out.

by Anonymousreply 206September 23, 2022 4:12 PM

Fetch coins out of fountains.

by Anonymousreply 207September 23, 2022 4:50 PM

R201 Ever hear of a septic tank?

by Anonymousreply 208September 23, 2022 4:55 PM

Don't pay outrageous costs for funerals. Dump grandma in a ditch in the backyard.

by Anonymousreply 209September 23, 2022 5:23 PM

Bury grandma ass up so you can park your bicycle there.

by Anonymousreply 210September 23, 2022 7:19 PM

[quote] Plenty o' heat pumps being installed in New England. Canada too. And in Scandinavia.

R203 I know; I’ve had heat pumps in my condo apartments since 1986 living in New England. I know the technology has improved dramatically since then, and they’re being used in climates that are colder than in New England.

I should have been more clear in my previous comment. As I understand it, there’s a push to replace existing oil and natural gas furnaces in single-family homes with central heat pumps or mini split heat pumps, depending on whether the homes are ducted or not, respectively. The increase in the electric rate this winter where I live is two-to-three times greater than the increases in other energy sources. That’s why I think it could be a hard sell at the moment to get people to switch to a system that costs more to run, even with the rebates that are being offered as part of this push campaign.

There’s also what I call the “tepid air” problem with heat pumps. Homeowners who are used to hot air coming from their registers may not be happy with the tepid air from heat pumps that does the job but can make the heat feel drafty.

by Anonymousreply 211September 23, 2022 7:24 PM

Don’t spend your money on food. Sponge off of fam and friend’s instead. Conveniently show up at meal time.

by Anonymousreply 212September 23, 2022 7:38 PM

use both sides of toilet paper and kleenex. Always reuse condoms.

by Anonymousreply 213September 23, 2022 8:33 PM

I grew up poor white trash. Hand me downs from my brother seven years older than me, ketchup sandwiches for dinner. I’ve worked my ass off to make a good living. I’m not living like a pauper ever again.

by Anonymousreply 214September 23, 2022 9:26 PM

[quote]I meal plan strictly. I hate wasting food.

My partner and I never cook too much food for our daily dinners. In there are any leftovers, they are put in the fridge, they're either used for the next days lunch (I work from home) or incorporated into the next day's breakfast (leftover vegetables are added to an omelet) or the next night's meal. Food is too costly to waste.

by Anonymousreply 215September 23, 2022 9:28 PM

There is so much waste in the US. It’s quite unbelievable what people throw away. Some people are so stupid, they don't even know how to recycle certain items.

I watch YouTube dumpster dive videos, I cannot believe the literal brand new items thrown away. There is one YouTube dumpster diver who finds brand new items which are thrown away by students when they graduate or move back home at the end of term.

This woman diver sells many of the items she finds (she does especially well selling vintage t-shirts, she gets $25 and up), leaves items curbside for people to take, has once a month yard sales and also donates many of her finds. Sure, what she does is basically a full time job, but she's making lots of money and it's tax free.

I guess these college students would rather throw out stuff than find a way to send it home or at least donate it. It’s unreal what these students throw away: brand new pots and pans, brand new expensive sneakers still in the boxes, cameras, iPhones, designer handbags and lots good clothing.

The woman diver also finds lots of unopened rolls of wrapping wrapper, greeting cards, writing tablets, unused pens etc, it’s not as if most this stuff can spoil, it’s not food. It can definitely be used in the future. I guess these college kids come from upper middle class families where they grew up throwing out still useful items.

by Anonymousreply 216September 23, 2022 9:40 PM

My alma mater has a huge tag sale at the end of May with all the stuff that students no longer want/need.

by Anonymousreply 217September 23, 2022 10:57 PM

With the proceeds going to student groups and local charities.

by Anonymousreply 218September 23, 2022 10:58 PM

In June, our trusty Vizio 65" display died; my first impulse was to replace it with a SONY at Costco, but after sleeping on the idea, I researched the possibility of repairing it myself; (It's a long way up here on the mountain in SoCal) diagnosed, tore it down, sent the motherboard to an outfit back East & had it reinstalled within the week. It's still going strong & we saved $$$ until it really, finally says happy trails. We own our home free & clear, have 0 credit card debt (pay in full each month) & are still driving a 2000 Chevy diesel truck & 2000 Saturn L-series.

If I recall correctly, the Queen still wore her hiking boots/shoes from young adulthood, as they were favorites, and had them re-done as necessary. So apparently she was frugal, even with her billions . . . :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 23, 2022 11:31 PM

Eat bread water and dust

by Anonymousreply 220September 24, 2022 12:31 AM

Buy all things second hand. Plant a garden. Don't eat animals. Try to live without a car.

by Anonymousreply 221September 24, 2022 12:35 AM

No thx r221

by Anonymousreply 222September 24, 2022 12:36 AM

Browser extensions like Rakuten, Honey Gold or the Fetch app are effortless ways to build up free gift cards just from normal internet purchases. It's easy to earn enough for free gift cards or cash in your Paypal account.

I just replaced my New Balance sneakers with my Honey Gold cash!

by Anonymousreply 223September 24, 2022 4:53 AM

Use a list when you shop. Stick to your list.

by Anonymousreply 224September 24, 2022 5:02 AM

I wear a beige turtle neck to go grocery shopping and use the Missouri Synod Shopping Method. When choosing an item I ask myself, “Is this spicier than a saltine?” And, if the answer is, “Yes”, I do not buy it.

For a quick afternoon pickmeup, I tuck a used tea bag between cheek and gum.

If I don’t have money for the bus, I yell made up Swedish Chef words while pointing at my transit card and the driver lets me pass.

by Anonymousreply 225September 24, 2022 5:40 AM

I have been saving money hand over fist since the pandemic began just by eating dinner cooked at home most evenings. Also, since WFH, I hardly buy any coffee or lunch prepared outside the home either.

by Anonymousreply 226September 24, 2022 5:48 AM

R118 / R120 Sounds scary to me but thank you.

by Anonymousreply 227September 24, 2022 7:14 AM

[quote] ketchup sandwiches for dinner.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 228September 24, 2022 8:01 AM

[quote] cheaper to heat water on a gas hob

It's more economic in a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 229September 24, 2022 9:11 AM

Don't ever make a Brit a cup of tea with water heated in a microwave. They can tell, as the water doesn't get hot enough!

by Anonymousreply 230September 24, 2022 9:15 AM

R216 depending on the campus they could be much richer than "upper middle class". When I was a junior, a friend graduated and gave me his 4 year old car before flying back to Europe on one of the family's several jets.

The rich are very very very rich nowadays and we live in a consumer culture.

by Anonymousreply 231September 24, 2022 9:17 AM

[quote]We own our home free & clear, have 0 credit card debt (pay in full each month) & are still driving a 2000 Chevy diesel truck & 2000 Saturn L-series.

It's great owning a home, but there will always be the property taxes (which seem to get higher with each passing year) and the general upkeep. If you and your partner aren't handy, and can't do major repairs, the bills are usually always costly.

by Anonymousreply 232September 24, 2022 9:40 AM

For me it's always been a psychological battle as I am naturally more spendthrift. But a combination of things has completely changing my spending, rather, saving habits. I hate working and feel the only way for me to be happy would be to work less, so every dollar is now spent wisely as it represents more or less time I have to spend on the clock eventually. Also, in no particular order:

-quit drinking completely 3 years ago, saving thousands over the years -driving the same car for almost a decade with no plans to replace it unless it literally falls apart -I no longer get a coffee and breakfast on the way to work. I take a flask of tea and that gets me through to lunch time. I reckon this saves me about $50 a week. -no kids, no mortgage, no pets -bought a yoga mat and dumbbells so I do core exercises at home now and ride my bike at other times instead of driving to the gym every day -avoid hobbies that are really just consumerism traps. My hobbies are essentially free- cycling (on a basic bike without obsessing about the latest gear), reading and swimming at the beach -saying no to shit I don't want to do- expensive dinners out, work functions and drinks. Luckily I am pretty antisocial and like my own company so I don't feel lonely from not going on expensive outings with others.

by Anonymousreply 233September 24, 2022 10:07 AM

^sorry that formatting came out like a dog's breakfast, apologies

by Anonymousreply 234September 24, 2022 10:08 AM

Fair enough, R234. It sounds like you're being very sensible.

by Anonymousreply 235September 24, 2022 10:41 AM

Stop wasting money on second- and third-rate artists, even if you like their stuff. Save up and splurge on something first-rate by a big name. You will never regret it.

by Anonymousreply 236September 24, 2022 10:56 AM

[quote]2000 Saturn L-series.

Where do you find parts for that dinosaur?

by Anonymousreply 237September 24, 2022 4:46 PM

R225 you’re hilarious l love you! 💕

by Anonymousreply 238September 24, 2022 4:58 PM

Repurpose greeting cards you receive. When I receive a birthday or Xmas card, etc, I cut out the images I like or certain adornments. Then I get a piece of card stock and hot glue it to it. Then I mail it to the sender as a new greeting card. Sometimes they say shit like “I’ve seen this before. Wait, I sent this to you”. But most of the time they completely forget about sending it to me first and eat it up like candy.

by Anonymousreply 239September 24, 2022 5:03 PM

[quote] If I don’t have money for the bus, I yell made up Swedish Chef words while pointing at my transit card and the driver lets me pass.

This actually works.

by Anonymousreply 240September 24, 2022 5:03 PM

This thread got weird.

by Anonymousreply 241September 24, 2022 7:00 PM

R239, do you ever send threatening letters using cut up magazine articles and headlines?

by Anonymousreply 242September 24, 2022 7:16 PM

R242 I have many many times. Sometimes to news organizations and divorced women living alone.

by Anonymousreply 243September 24, 2022 7:28 PM

R228 I never ate ketchup a sandwich but I did make tomato soup out of ketchup packets and hot water when I was broke.

by Anonymousreply 244September 25, 2022 1:38 AM

R233 I would like to meet you but you sound very curmudgeonly. We might get along but more likely will separate quickly.

by Anonymousreply 245September 25, 2022 1:43 AM

I bitch and moan everyday about how much I'm constantly preparing food- I eat all my meals at home- but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tomorrow I'm making my Lentil Barley soup for dinner. It's a tasty, hearty soup-more of a stew because it's rather thick.

by Anonymousreply 246September 25, 2022 3:35 AM

Eating ass is free and sometimes can help you lose that last, pesky, Ten pounds.

by Anonymousreply 247September 25, 2022 2:14 PM

Food stamps, handouts, and leech to family and friends

by Anonymousreply 248September 25, 2022 2:19 PM

I like to wipe using only one section of toilet paper. How? Ask me and I’ll respond.

by Anonymousreply 249September 25, 2022 6:30 PM

Write down all your expenses for a month and then go over it and see where you're spending too much or can cut.

Not eating eat out or drink coffee out saves a lot. I used to shop at the market when I could, make sure you get your groceries somewhere cheap. Save a little in Bitcoin because government money is getting trashed

by Anonymousreply 250September 25, 2022 6:45 PM

I used to wear clothing people left out on the street

by Anonymousreply 251September 25, 2022 6:50 PM

I stopped leaving unwanted clothing on the street. If it looks like shit on me, I don’t want you to suffer as well. I am not a risk-adverse shopper. I give that stuff to the shelter where people pick over it.

by Anonymousreply 252September 25, 2022 10:29 PM

^^^Averse ^^^

by Anonymousreply 253September 25, 2022 10:30 PM

Tomorrows lunch is - a nice salad with among other things- Asparagus and Corn on the Cob which I cut into my salad with a knife.

My sandwiches are two open face on corn tortillas with Vegenaise and Millet burgers with lettuce and tomato.

by Anonymousreply 254September 26, 2022 3:38 AM

r254, doesn't sound very healthy.

by Anonymousreply 255September 26, 2022 3:42 AM

R255- I know. I really need to start eating more healthful things for lunch like Hot dogs and Submarine sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 256September 26, 2022 3:46 AM

Reduced baked goods section.

by Anonymousreply 257September 26, 2022 3:47 AM

Shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 258September 26, 2022 3:49 AM

Veganaise sounds vomitaise.

by Anonymousreply 259September 26, 2022 4:58 AM

Buy in bulk for nonperishable items, including cleaning supplies and toilet paper. Stock up your pantry.

by Anonymousreply 260September 26, 2022 8:03 AM

Never shop hungry.

by Anonymousreply 261September 26, 2022 8:03 AM

Do not buy or drink soda, bottled water, bottled tea, or any canned or bottled drinks. Instead, make your own tea. Just brew a large pot of any type of tea and let it cool to drink over ice or serve it hot with a meal or snack. That's much better for you than soda and so much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 262September 26, 2022 8:04 AM

Use what you have. Make sure you know what you have. Keep inventory so you don't buy things you don't need. Also, there are so many items we throw away that can be repurposed and are much nicer than the things stores sell for the same purpose. For instance: jar! Jars with lids are better food containers than tupperware and better for storage of rice and beans than store bought containers. You can also use jars for drinking glasses that are much better than most drinking glasses you buy and look very cool.

by Anonymousreply 263September 26, 2022 8:07 AM

When buying clothing, never buy fads or new and current fashion trends. Buy plain, flattering classics like nice blue jeans, dark solid or grey blazers, button-up shirts--things that you can wear and wear for years and look good.

by Anonymousreply 264September 26, 2022 8:08 AM

Fake jewelry and real jewelry look and feel much the same.

by Anonymousreply 265September 26, 2022 8:09 AM

If you are handy, you can do your own home repairs and this saves thousands of dollars. It also avoids the problems of having strangers and contractors in your home.

by Anonymousreply 266September 26, 2022 8:10 AM

If you buy property and must take out a mortgage, attempt to get the 15 year, not the 30. You will save so much interest and build equity much faster! Also, pay a little extra principal each month and you will own your house quickly. If you can, buy a house that needs some cosmetic updates and you will also save many thousands.

by Anonymousreply 267September 26, 2022 8:12 AM

There’s so much lead and other crap found in the water in the US that I’ll always drink bottled water. However, I don’t drink soda or juice, so they saves a lot.

by Anonymousreply 268September 26, 2022 9:24 AM

when making tuna noodle casserole, do not include Campbell's - cream of mushroom soup. Buy "food town", it's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 269September 26, 2022 12:12 PM

[quote] There’s so much lead and other crap found in the water in the US that I’ll always drink bottled water.

Do you mean individual little plastic bottles or the 5-gallon jug that dispenses water? Those little plastic bottles are a pain. If you throw them away, that's plastic in a landfill. You can recycle them, but then you have to be mindful of that. Also, when you shop, you've pretty much got to have a car.

Why not just get a Brita water pitcher and a stock of filters?

by Anonymousreply 270September 26, 2022 6:34 PM

I have a good idea of my spending patterns, but the one significant thing I do to save comes more from habits and tastes. And from not being the consumer who has to have everything new only to toss it that same year.

I live in a place with a low cost of living. Restaurants and food are excellent quality and cheap; to take an excellent coffee in the street is €1; to have a simple dinner for two with two glasses if wine is €20; €30 for something nice; €40 and maybe it's a bit if a special occasion. Drinks are cheap; it's rare to spend over €10 on a bottle of wine. Haircuts in a good barber shop are €12. If I think to take some friends out for a meal, a concert, or spend hours at a cafe I don't have to think about the cost. Clothes and shoes are inexpensive. Property tax is negligible. Health care is national. There are loads of free things to do. Taxis are cheap on the rare occasion there's a need.

All that adds up to not having to think too much about the impact of each expenditure.

Aside from geography, I'm trend averse and don't spend money to impress others but to please myself. No spa days, massages, facials, manicures, pedicures, cosmetic surgeries and enhancement procedures, tattoo addictions, drug addictions. My dog doesn't see a therapist or a groomer. I'll spend for travel and nice hotels and some experiences, but as far as material things go I prefer to buy art or old furniture, things that last.

by Anonymousreply 271September 26, 2022 8:15 PM

R262 All that tea turns your teeth brown...yuck.

by Anonymousreply 272September 27, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote]If you buy property and must take out a mortgage, attempt to get the 15 year, not the 30. You will save so much interest and build equity much faster!

R267 Good advice but it also works to take out a 30 and pay twice the principle every month. It's not that much more than principle and will pay off at the same time if not earlier. Plus, you have the safety net of a 30 year mortgage in case you lose your job or have a money shortage.

by Anonymousreply 273September 27, 2022 1:28 AM

Darling we’re poors, we can’t afford twice the mortgage repayments each month!

by Anonymousreply 274September 27, 2022 1:45 AM

[quote]Also, when you shop, you've pretty much got to have a car.

WTF? That’s not true. Get a fucking shopping cart, jeez. What’s the problem, it might mess with your 'image'? Attractive people also use shopping carts, lol

I work from home, my partner doesn’t. He drives, I don’t. I don’t mind walking, in fact, I love walking. I sometimes shop with a shopping cart. I even walk to Costco and pick up few items using a cart. Not a big deal.

What’s wrong with some of you? Are people these days really this damn lazy? Sounds like your mamas did not teach you right! Or else you grew up with servants.

by Anonymousreply 275September 27, 2022 1:30 PM

Not everyone lives within walking distance from stores. Sounds like pushing your 🛍 around does bug you.

by Anonymousreply 276September 27, 2022 1:56 PM

Never buy pickles. You have three in the fridge. They reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 277September 27, 2022 2:02 PM

^ Three?

Kinky!

by Anonymousreply 278September 27, 2022 3:04 PM

R275, I said you have to have a car if you're buying all your drinking water in bottles. Geez. Yes, I guess you could cart around 5 gallons of water plus your weekly (or whatever) food. If you read my entire post, that was the context.

I've food shopped without a car (bicycle and backpack), but I'm adding drinking water into the mix.

by Anonymousreply 279September 27, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote]Darling we’re poors, we can’t afford twice the mortgage repayments each month!

R274 You wouldn't be paying the full mortgage twice a month. Mortgage = principle + interest. Add on payment = principle only. Your principle is peanuts compared to the interest; it takes years to even out the amounts. You can cut that in half by paying twice the principle every month.

by Anonymousreply 280September 28, 2022 5:37 AM

But most people borrow as much as they can repay monthly with no wiggle room.

by Anonymousreply 281September 28, 2022 5:53 AM

Don't borrow. If you must borrow, always borrow less than what the bank claims you qualify for--especially when it comes to mortages.

by Anonymousreply 282September 28, 2022 8:16 AM

If you do buy, never borrow against the equity. Every bank wants you to do that--so you never really pay off your house but owe forever.

by Anonymousreply 283September 28, 2022 8:17 AM

Don’t borrow? So what, just inherit from rich parents? Rob a bank?

by Anonymousreply 284September 28, 2022 8:31 AM

R275 you make mention of walking to stores using a “shopping cart”. A shopping cart can be every size from a fold-up 2 wheel kind you pull behind as you walk to the extra large heavy duty shopping carts available while you shop at Costco or Home Depot.

If your ass is walking to Costco to shop, I suspect you stole one of their carts to bring your load of warehouse goods home. Everything is jumbo sized there so you’d have to be using the extra large cart otherwise you’re a big lying sack of shit. 💩

by Anonymousreply 285September 28, 2022 5:57 PM

Do you want to be one of the POORS?

Act RICH.

by Anonymousreply 286September 28, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote] never borrow against the equity

One of my friends does equity loans every month. Her parents gave her an expensive piece of land. She and her husband built on it (hence, the loan). Both she and her husband work (and they have 3 children), but they can't live within their means. She told me she was taking out a home equity loan to go on vacation and asked me: where should they go? I said you shouldn't borrow money to go on vacation.

This is someone I've known since we worked together in our early 20s, it's not someone I'd make friends with now.

by Anonymousreply 287September 28, 2022 7:22 PM

R287, that story made my heart rate spike. What a nightmare way to live.

by Anonymousreply 288September 28, 2022 8:01 PM

R288, what do you think the outcome will be? The land, itself, is worth at least $1 million. I'm guessing that my friend and her husband will not be able to retire until they're really old. They also have 1 child in college, 2 more on their way to college. (They are paying for Child #1's college expenses & rent, so I assume they'll do the same for the other 2.)

by Anonymousreply 289September 28, 2022 8:06 PM

If they're really taking out multiple new loans/year, they'll go underwater sooner rather than later. A $1 million parcel doesn't go that far, and rates are through the roof right now.

by Anonymousreply 290September 28, 2022 8:22 PM

R287 that's what people were doing in 2005-2007 with HELOCs. People sucked all the equity out of their homes as the values went up during the housing bubble. Then most of them defaulted within a few years. People viewed the cash they sucked out as "income" and spent it, ignoring the fact that it was actually debt that would have to be paid back eventually, one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 291September 28, 2022 10:24 PM

I have a friend who bought in the mid 90s for around $100,000 and his house is now worth around $350,000. He's refinanced so many times that he now owes nearly $400,000. All those mortgage payments for all those years and he's still underwater.

by Anonymousreply 292September 28, 2022 10:40 PM

The whole I’m entitled to a big ass vacation with ALL of the extras has infiltrated every economic class thx to the fast instant social media culture.

by Anonymousreply 293September 28, 2022 10:40 PM

I built a nice, small sized 1 level home 5 yrs ago. I’ll have my mortgage paid this December. Not bad for 5 years!!

by Anonymousreply 294September 28, 2022 10:41 PM

Hmm ... Thanks, guys. Yes, the interest rate on my savings account has gone up, so that means the lending rate has gone up as well.

At some point, my friend & her husband also bought an investment property (apartment that they rent out). They used a home equity loan, I think, for the down payment on the rental property. I wouldn't be surprised if they use home equity loans to pay the mortgage on the rental property.

I couldn't understand buying that rental property when they were already struggling.

by Anonymousreply 295September 28, 2022 10:43 PM

Why you care about your friends' finances is more worrisome.

by Anonymousreply 296September 28, 2022 10:48 PM

I agree r296 a lot of people literally plant their noses in other people’s holes without any reservation.

by Anonymousreply 297September 28, 2022 10:52 PM

Use motion-sensor patio lights indoors instead of mains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298October 13, 2022 12:29 AM

Cheap bitches

by Anonymousreply 299October 13, 2022 1:58 AM

Jesus you poor, basic, bitches are depressing. I grew up in a trailer park. I worked hard, never looked back. I have German luxury cars at each of my paid for homes - and I still live below my means.

Reset your pre-set. You deserve better.

by Anonymousreply 300October 13, 2022 3:39 AM

You can take the boy out of the trailer park, but you can't...

by Anonymousreply 301October 13, 2022 4:25 AM

Thread reminder, it's about frugal advice, not lying about your puffed up lifestyle. Bitch, pleeze.

by Anonymousreply 302October 13, 2022 4:29 AM

R300 someone from a truly wealthy background wouldn’t drop a lot of money on depreciating assets, nor would they brag to strangers about their property holdings.

by Anonymousreply 303October 13, 2022 1:22 PM

Drop cable, and buy a Roku for under $30. A one time investment with endless free entertainment. You'll never miss the cable.

by Anonymousreply 304October 13, 2022 1:26 PM

Don't buy a fucking thing. It's all shit you'll throw in the dumpster when you move anyway.

Purchases mostly don't improve your life.

Don't spend money on food. Your starvation will pay off when you go on that exotic destination and get laid.

by Anonymousreply 305October 13, 2022 1:28 PM

The thread has become a humble-brag/snark fest for wealthy cunts like R300. It's was supposed to be about sharing tips from frugal DLers.

Here's my frugal advice: question every purchase. Do you really need this new item or extra service? Are you able to make do with what you have? Is there a less expensive alternative? Can you put off the purchase until you are on better financial ground?

Questions like that. Do this for everything, even groceries, but especially things like clothes or housewares. You'll often find that you don't need to make the purchase, or to pay as much as your thought you needed to. This is what made me cancel my gym membership when I began to realize I can get a similar workout on my own without any expensive equipment. Running, walking, pushups, stretching and yoga are all actually completely free.

by Anonymousreply 306October 13, 2022 4:56 PM

R302, being frugal is one thing. Being a cheap, basic bitch is another. I can afford to let some assets depreciate. I'm not clipping coupons and buying day old bread. That's not frugal. It's pathetic. And you know you'd trade up for a life like mine if you could.

by Anonymousreply 307October 13, 2022 11:53 PM

R307 remove your pants so I can see how big your dick is. If it’s under 7” I’m gonna fart on your face while you deep inhale.

by Anonymousreply 308October 13, 2022 11:59 PM

I have part of my paycheck automatically deposited into a savings account that is not linked to my other accounts. I don’t have an ATM card for it so I physically have to go into the bank and make a withdrawal if I want the money.

by Anonymousreply 309October 14, 2022 12:07 AM

R307 I'd rather be poor and frugal that a humblebragging asshole like you. #sorrynotsorry

by Anonymousreply 310October 14, 2022 12:13 AM

Ignore R307, he's the type who will likely outlive his money!

Most people who brag about their "assets" seem not to have very much.

by Anonymousreply 311October 14, 2022 4:16 AM

Back to the topic.

If you have to wear an expensive suit to work, try not to be super trendy, purchase classic styles.

by Anonymousreply 312October 14, 2022 4:18 AM

If you're over 30, you're too old for "trendy", anyway.

by Anonymousreply 313October 14, 2022 4:31 AM

Costco? Really? Thrifty? Pay money to buy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 314October 14, 2022 5:01 AM

Max out your 401k contribution.

Set an amount every month that comes out of your paycheck.

If you take out of savings for a vacation be sure to pay it back.

by Anonymousreply 315October 14, 2022 5:04 AM

Choose a color or two that's your favorite and looks good on you. Buy outfits and accessories that will match them. You'll be able to put together a wardrobe of not that many items that can have quite a few variations. Plus if you're traveling, say its my "blue" trip or my "black and blue" trip -- you'll be able to have a fairly compact amount of things, like a blue jacket, pants, shirt in various shades, with a tie or two (which might have some blue in it), etc. that will all match, be workable and not take up too much space. Same will apply to your clothes closet, and it won't cost that much, especially if you buy classic style, and reasonably well made. Yes, have some fun stuff that doesn't match if you'd like, too.

by Anonymousreply 316October 14, 2022 5:08 AM

Buy two pairs of the same socks, especially if it's a fun pattern you'd like. If one of the pair gets a hole it it, you'll have 3 socks left, and if another one gets a hole, there's still a pair of your favorite socks without holes in them. Unlike just buying one pair that gets a hole in one and you have to trash the pair. Unless you know a quick way to darn socks...

by Anonymousreply 317October 14, 2022 5:12 AM

r295, It's really not possible to use a home equity loan to use as a down payment on a rental property. How do I know this? Because I tried. In 2014. I paid off one rental house in full in that year. Identified another rental house that was priced reasonably, and went into the bank to ask about a Home Equity loan to finance a down payment. They were explicit that it was not possible. I was not happy. I said, "wow, you'd be able to foreclose on a paid-off house worth 10 times the amount of the loan I'm asking for if I don't make payments - and you don't like that deal?" Their response was that so many people went belly up on home equity loans during the 2008 housing recession that banks were left holding hundreds of thousands of homes that they couldn't sell for the value of the mortgages or loans- and the banks had to eat those losses. I ended up having to take out a loan from my whole life insurance policy (limited to the cash value of the policy). Even there, I had to get an officer of the whole life insurance company on the phone to explain to the bank that a policy loan did not technically have to be paid back. (Although ultimately failure to pay back the loan can result in losing the life insurance and its coverage). Apparently bank loan officers never have to take a class in different classes of assets. The joke was on the bank though. The house I bought for $75,000 and rehabbed to the tune of additional $40,000 is now worth $300,000 - and that's including the drop in value over the past few months. That mortgage will be paid off in one more year.

Frugal tip no. 318 - prepay on your mortgages, especially at the beginning of a loan. It will ultimately save you many tens of thousands of dollars in interest. Just pay an additional $100 or $150/month

by Anonymousreply 318October 14, 2022 6:05 AM

Life pro tip: if you invest in yourself and get an advanced degree and build a valuable skillset, you will earn enough money that you won’t have to penny pinch and inconvenience yourself to save $5.

by Anonymousreply 319October 14, 2022 6:09 AM

That's a good idea, R309. I'll try that, as I always end up ransacking my savings account linked to my checking.

by Anonymousreply 320October 14, 2022 6:35 AM

Say no to every event or activity that strikes you as a waste of money. If a friend's choice of a restaurant is too expensive, suggest another one.

Take advantage of only the tips that will not leave you feeling poor or pathetic. Instead, concentrate on the good feeling you will get from having no debit and a nice cushion.

Never compare yourself to someone and say "why can't I have that?" unless it strikes you as a worthwhile, attainble goal.

Be appreciative of everything you have.

Analyze the feelings you have before and after a purchase. Are these linked to your childhood?

I save money from cooking from scratch. Pick a way to save that does not feel like denial.

by Anonymousreply 321October 14, 2022 8:03 AM

[quote]If you're over 30, you're too old for "trendy", anyway.

Who the hell are you, Elsa Klensch? Diana Vreeland? André Leon Talley?

Lots of people over 30 wear trendy clothing. Life doesn't end at 30.

by Anonymousreply 322October 14, 2022 8:54 AM

[quote]Life pro tip: if you invest in yourself and get an advanced degree and build a valuable skillset, you will earn enough money that you won’t have to penny pinch and inconvenience yourself to save $5.

More DL BS. I know tons of people with advanced degrees, two of them work in Apple stores!

How about suggesting people get an advanced degree in an area where they can actually find a decent job? Or try to turn their interests into a career. Just because a person can earn a lot of money in a specific field, they might not want to spend their life working at something they hate.

How about people who are not college material? The world will always need plumbers, electricians, carpenters, builders etc.

by Anonymousreply 323October 14, 2022 9:07 AM

People are still pushing advanced degrees? As a way to "save money?" Okay, Boomer!

by Anonymousreply 324October 14, 2022 9:56 AM

Big picture. Money isn’t real. This hustle and grind, capitalism loving culture is but a blip in the timeline of human existence. There is more to life than working.

by Anonymousreply 325October 14, 2022 12:16 PM

I couldn't agree more with R323. A college degree is overrated....plus the student loans are atrocious. I'm not saying college is useless...it depends on your vocation plans, where you may need that degree. Trade jobs pay very well, and people with those skills are always needed.

by Anonymousreply 326October 14, 2022 2:11 PM

No on the only cool part of your home with central air, closing the vents can damage your AC, and that’s not frugal. There are other ways to save on heating and cooling, but I won’t bore you.

by Anonymousreply 327October 14, 2022 2:33 PM

Simply because you can easily afford what you spend monthly on home energy doesn't mean you won't like saving some of that cost and redeploying it to what you really enjoy.

Or even better, free up some money to invest each month.

by Anonymousreply 328October 14, 2022 3:00 PM

r327, no, please do

by Anonymousreply 329October 14, 2022 3:07 PM

R323/R324 Here’s how it works. You invest in yourself long term. You get an advanced degree: not a stupid one, but a good one that will make you more marketable. That alone gives you a network for the future. And that advanced degree will also open more doors. Combine that with a lucrative job that all of this will help to give you, something within your aptitude, and you will earn enough money to have and do the things you want and save lots of money/invest at the same time, with no credit card debt. And the upshot of all of this is that when some emergency comes up and you need $5,000, you have it, and you don’t need to beg for it on Facebook like a crack whore by setting up a GoFundMe.

by Anonymousreply 330October 14, 2022 4:29 PM

I like to meal prep my breakfasts and lunches, leaning heavily on cheap and filling foods. $10 will get you the ingredients for a big pot of chili that makes lunches for a week. $8 gets you ingredients for a week's worth of breakfast frittata. Read the store sale ad and shop based on what's on sale. Even if you won't eat it all this week, you can stock up for later and plan ahead.

Also, make ample use of workplace freebies. Attend bullshit working lunches and load up on the Jason's Deli nibbles. Drink office coffee, and sneak it when no one's looking so you can avoid dropping a quarter in the honesty can.

I'm a transit planner, so I'm a big fan of transit and trip-chaining. Organize your errands so you can do everything in one simple trip to save gas and time. Take transit (ideally if you can get work to pay for it) or ride a bike.

by Anonymousreply 331October 14, 2022 4:36 PM

If you need to order holiday lights (Christmas, Halloween), order them from Target. They will 100% send you the wrong lights. Then request a refund.

They’ll give you a refund, but let you keep the incorrect item. Now you suddenly have free lights. They’re probably close enough to what you wanted.

by Anonymousreply 332October 14, 2022 4:50 PM

[quote]Here’s how it works.

Don’t tell me "how it works”. Not everyone's situation is the same. I have a friend who held on to a $400 a month two bedroom apartment in Manhattan. he's now a millionaire. Years ago, he bought a brownstone in Brooklyn, yet held on to that $400 place in the city. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason why people with money are frugal.

If someone doesn’t have an extra $5000 for an emergency, that’s usually because they live beyond their means or they make minimum wage and these individuals are simply unable to save a dime. Not everyone has a high paying job. Not everyone can go to college. Not everyone is talented enough to be a plumber or electrician or capable of getting a good union job as a train conductor with the MTA or work for ConEd.

According to most financial planners, people with decent jobs, should have at least between $25,000- $50,000 in a bank account, this money should be for true emergencies. This amount includes having money in a checking account. While many people no longer write checks, they have their monthly credit card expenses (phone etc) linked to a checking account, then pay their monthly bills via auto-pay. I personally would not link my credit card to a bank account, a checking account usually linked to a credit card.

Sometimes money situations have nothing to do with what a person earns. Lots of people with great paying jobs are simply bad with money. I know people who constantly buy useless crap they don’t need. They might earn a decent amount, but are terrible with money. While others live beyond their means. Shopping is yet another addiction. Period.

A female relative collects expensive designer handbags, she brags she has “200 expensive handbags”, I asked her, “Do you have 200 hands and arms?” No one ’needs’ all those handbags. Another relative is obsessed with stereo equipment, he bought an amp which cost $6000, yes, you read that right, SIX THOUSAND for ONE stereo amp component!

Most of the items people purchase are not needed. I don’t think being a shopaholic makes these people happy. They fill their lives with useless ’things’, then get depressed when they need extra cash for an important home repair or another emergency. Or they buy these expensive items to impress others, mostly because they have low self-esteem. These people need to be therapy, not to continue spending more money on useless crap.

by Anonymousreply 333October 14, 2022 7:03 PM

Another high cost bill most of us pay concerns healthcare. I do believe the US will never see socialized medicine or single payer healthcare. . Why? Because the healthcare industry makes billions in profits and most politicians receive kickbacks from this industry and from Big Pharma.

Most people have health insurance through their jobs, if they have an honest decent plan, which spells out everything which is covered, they won’t need much for extra medical emergencies. I’m self-employed, I work in a creative field, I have several accounts. I’ve had the same healthcare insurance for many years, my premium covers everything. The surgery I had years ago was 100% covered. I didn't get any surprise bills. I don’t pay extra for anything, I just pay my monthly premium and a small co-pay for any needed meds.

Older people need to plan ahead for their old age, many don’t. If these people have any sort of savings over $15,000 and own a home, a condo or a co-op, they need to set up a trust, that way, a nursing home doesn’t get all their assets. Same with those at-home managed care plans, hide that money like the wealthy do! It’s legal to do this, but the government sure won't tell you this. The rich already know this. When preparing for old age expenses, lots of people set up trusts, you don’t need to be rich to do this. In order to qualify for nursing home and at-home care, you cannot show you have more that $15,000 in assets.

Nursing homes are not happy simply getting your pension and SS check, they want all your assets. Move those assets before you need long term care. Unfortunately, a lot of people are not aware their health insurance plans do not cover long term care, most plans only cover up to 100 days, after that, the huge bills kick in.

Nursing home costs can be over $400 a day! At home costs for 24 hour home aide care are close to $4000 a week, that's just for the aides alone, this doesn't include any needed heath related supplies the elderly might need. Not many Americans have that sort of money. Let your years of paying taxes work for you.

Be informed about what you are entitled to. Don't have others do the work for you.

by Anonymousreply 334October 14, 2022 7:16 PM

R333 You know there’s a difference between buying useless crap and spending money on experiences, right? I love travel, and while it’s not necessary for survival, it brings me so much joy. I’ve worked very hard to get to where I am. I finished two degrees while working full time, and I am now enjoying the good life with a good job. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 335October 14, 2022 8:03 PM

[quote]Another relative is obsessed with stereo equipment, he bought an amp which cost $6000, yes, you read that right, SIX THOUSAND for ONE stereo amp component!

Welcome to Stereophile. Check out turntables.

So grateful I got off this bus twenty-plus years ago, having spent no more than $2000 on any one item. I bought speakers that were so "revealing," I hated listening to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336October 14, 2022 8:18 PM

Max out your credit cards for xtra fun fun fun!

by Anonymousreply 337October 14, 2022 9:57 PM

Or max out someone else's credit cards, then leave, leave, leave!

by Anonymousreply 338October 14, 2022 11:34 PM

👉 [bold] PAY YOURSELF FIRST 👈

by Anonymousreply 339October 14, 2022 11:54 PM

[quote][R333] You know there’s a difference between buying useless crap and spending money on experiences, right? I love travel, and while it’s not necessary for survival, it brings me so much joy. I’ve worked very hard to get to where I am. I finished two degrees while working full time, and I am now enjoying the good life with a good job. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Don't talk to me about "experiences". I'm not a moron. I could care less about your various degrees and how "hard" you worked. Why don't hard working people in the service industries, for example, get paid better wages? All these people make your vapid life much easier: the hotel cleaners, the waiters, the waitresses, the airport workers etc. Ponder that for awhile. These people keep everything running, yet they get horrible wages.

As for getting people to buy useless crap, I work in advertising, the design end, so, I have little guilt about duping consumers.

All most corporations do is try getting gullible people to buy things they don't need. An expensive fragrance will not make you sexier, nor will a host of other things these companies are trying to sell people. A sucker is born every minute.

by Anonymousreply 340October 14, 2022 11:57 PM

I like you, R340.

by Anonymousreply 341October 15, 2022 1:33 AM

R335 no, there’s not. Travel has become the mindless consumerist trap for people who are convinced they’re too good to buy lots of crap.

by Anonymousreply 342October 16, 2022 4:21 AM

There are different ways of traveling, though, R342. Some of my happiest memories come through travel, I think that's almost a universal.

As a somewhat frugal person, my weakness comes from beautiful things that one can find at auctions, that (here's the frugal part) can be purchased for a fraction of their original value. Case in point: Old Master Paintings with no known artist. For reasons I don't quite understand, the market for old masters has collapsed for paintings where the artist is unidentified and especially for religiously themed paintings. A beautiful painting from the seventeenth century made with great skill and passion can be purchased for five hundred dollars.

by Anonymousreply 343October 16, 2022 8:49 AM

We’d all buy a lot less if we owned our own time.

by Anonymousreply 344October 16, 2022 11:30 AM

342 That may be true for those who want to go to Rome and Paris to take instagram photos, but that’s not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 345October 17, 2022 2:41 AM

I am not at all into buying and acquiring things and am looking to get rid of much that I already have. I have shoes older than a lot of you. I do prefer to spend money on experiences that enrich my life and bring enjoyment in ways that possessions never will.

by Anonymousreply 346October 17, 2022 3:08 AM

Much as I loathe Walmart, it is a great tool to say money. Sams cola is a dollar vs 2.99 for diet coke 2L bottles. Things like that. Saving dollars adds up.

by Anonymousreply 347October 17, 2022 3:15 AM

[quote]Most people have health insurance through their jobs, if they have an honest decent plan, which spells out everything which is covered, they won’t need much for extra medical emergencies. I’m self-employed, I work in a creative field, I have several accounts. I’ve had the same healthcare insurance for many years, my premium covers everything. The surgery I had years ago was 100% covered. I didn't get any surprise bills. I don’t pay extra for anything, I just pay my monthly premium and a small co-pay for any needed meds.

What healthcare plan do you have? Who is the health insurance company? How much do you pay a month for this plan? Do you have a deductible? How high is it? Also, what does "several accounts" mean? Do you also have supplemental insurance and, if so, what plan(s) and what healthcare companies do you purchose those from?

Genuinely curious to know the company and the plan name as most plans I know outside of employer-derived healthcare aren't quite this comprehensive without a high deductible or ***any*** surprise bills.

by Anonymousreply 348October 17, 2022 3:35 PM

I use my plastic freezer bags over and over.

by Anonymousreply 349October 17, 2022 3:38 PM

R346 that is a very 2015 thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 350October 17, 2022 9:21 PM

How so r350?

by Anonymousreply 351October 17, 2022 10:29 PM

Because, stupid, everybody was saying that around the year 2015. Not so much, now.

by Anonymousreply 352October 17, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote]What healthcare plan do you have? Who is the health insurance company? How much do you pay a month for this plan? Do you have a deductible? How high is it? Also, what does "several accounts" mean? Do you also have supplemental insurance and, if so, what plan(s) and what healthcare companies do you purchose those from? Genuinely curious to know the company and the plan name as most plans I know outside of employer-derived healthcare aren't quite this comprehensive without a high deductible or ***any*** surprise bills.

I have an HMO, since the late 1980s I've had this insurance. Years ago, as usual, the ReThugs, had negative things to say about HMOs, anything to get Americans to pay more money for health insurance companies those politicians have a lot of their money invested in while never even considering socialized medicine or single payer.

HMOs always had a bad rap. Then again, a person can have the best heath insurance in the world, yet, still die. About two years ago, a friend died from multiple myeloma, they had the “best insurance plan” through their job which was, coincidentally, in the health field, yet, died after being sick for three years. Nothing is guaranteed.

I’ve had cancer surgery under my healthcare plan, I’m fine. I don’t drink, smoke and I’m not obese. Cancer, unfortunately runs in my family, neither parent had cancer. It seems to have skipped a generation, the older relatives and younger people in my family got cancer. Two younger cousins had breast and prostate cancer. Another had uterine cancer. None of these people smoke, drink and are in great shape.

Sure doctors have left my HMO over the years, they retired and the specialists are no longer in my managed care group, but through my plan, I'm allowed to see out-of-network specialists. You do realize that health insurance companies make billions in profits alone?

I don’t have any “surprise bills”, never have. I pay my premium and that's it. No co-pays, no deductibles. If I have to see a specialist, I always verify if they accept my insurance. Since my HMO doesn't have their own cancer doctors, they allow the patients to go outside the network.

I know I will likely have “surprise bills” when I finally get Medicare. Not sure why we are forced to take Medicare, especially as I like my longtime health plan which I pay 100% for. We still have to pay for Medicare, it’s not free, unless you are on Medicaid, then both are 'free'.

With my plan, there are no deductibles, no unnecessary paperwork, no waiting for reimbursements. I simply present my card when I see any doctors within the managed care group. I also like the convenience of seeing my doctors in the same building. I only have low co-pays for medications. I paid nothing extra for my hospital stay.

My mom has more problems with her health plan and Medicare, she can't stand Medicare, it’s very convoluted. As we age, life should be simpler, not more difficult. On her main plan, the deductible is $1000 a year., with low co-pays for medications. The only reason she keeps her main plan, she doesn’t pay a monthly premium. When my mom retired, she was able to keep her former plan, no charge. My mom pays for Medicare. not the other health insurance.

By “several accounts” that means I have several freelance jobs which we in creative fields call accounts. Do you know anything about freelancing or contract work? That's what “serveral accounts” mean, I have several clients.

by Anonymousreply 353October 18, 2022 12:00 AM

🤗 Old age isn't for sissies. Good luck with retirement, OP.

by Anonymousreply 354October 18, 2022 1:20 AM

I went to Walmart food shopping for the first time ever last week, and I was not impressed with their in store prices.. They did not have any black eyed peas nor did they have any carrots. Bought no meat cuz it was as high as Safeway. Their bread selection sucked. Their yogurt was shit and expensive. Plus it took a half hour to get through the aisles with all the other dumb asses

by Anonymousreply 355October 18, 2022 1:23 AM

I'm still using the same hot air popcorn popper I bought at Service Merchandise in 1988 for $14.

by Anonymousreply 356October 18, 2022 3:31 AM

Walmart is for fats and poors.

by Anonymousreply 357October 18, 2022 3:37 AM

Concerned about Krogers swallowing up Albertsons. If they get away with this monopoly there will be no other competition other than Walmart. We are so screwed.

by Anonymousreply 358October 18, 2022 3:44 AM

I just bought a new BMW and use the “ECO” Mode when driving to save on gas.

by Anonymousreply 359October 18, 2022 3:48 AM

I've cut my smoking down to a pack per fortnight, I have two or three after class/work to destress

Stopped drinking, now can go weeks without it and happier this way

Walk instead of public transport (I love walking so no hardship)

I do still buy lunch out several times a week but I've just moved and getting used to the place

Never been into fashion so perfectly happy with average price clothes

Use online audio resources instead of spending lots of money on books

by Anonymousreply 360October 18, 2022 9:51 AM

R358, yes, that Kroger Albertsons merger would result in higher prices despite the companies’ declaring a win for shoppers. They would be the sizemeat grande of grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 361October 18, 2022 4:04 PM

R361 Walmart is making an ever-bigger push into the grocery sector. Not just their supercenters, but also smaller Neighborhood Markets that take the place of a traditional grocery store. The poors seem to love them.

There's also Dollar General, with all their cheap corn syrup groceries. And regional giants like Wegman's, Publix, and Hy-Vee. Krogertsons will be huge, but they won't crush the industry.

by Anonymousreply 362October 19, 2022 1:43 PM

I use a bar of soap until it literally dissolves in my fingers as I'm rubbing the soap over my hands.

by Anonymousreply 363October 19, 2022 2:00 PM

^^^so wasteful

by Anonymousreply 364October 20, 2022 12:19 AM

I never even knew to ask for this for may years, but meat ends and cheese are dirt cheap. It depends on the grocer of course.

by Anonymousreply 365October 20, 2022 1:07 AM

Beans, pasta, potatoes, and pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 366October 21, 2022 2:19 AM

Just went to Aldi. Spent 44. on four organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts, 4 lbs. of grass fed organic ground beef; 1 wedge of Italian parm; 1 pkg organic carrots, 1 pkg organic celery, 2 lbs onions, a pkg of red, yellow and orange bell peppers. and a lb of butter.. I think this is an excellent value but tell us if prices are significantly lower where you live.

by Anonymousreply 367October 24, 2022 6:03 PM

Damn that's cheap R367...where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 368October 24, 2022 6:47 PM

Midwestern city. Several items were on special.

by Anonymousreply 369October 25, 2022 7:51 AM

Do you, like me, need to lose some weight? I'm going to, one of these days, eat only two meals per day. That has to be helpful for my purse and for my corpus. Doctors have been encouraging people to fast, and this is kinda like that, only I'd space the meals out ten or twelve hours instead of going sixteen hours a t a stretch with no nourishment.

No more take out or delivery or restaurants. None. Absolutely no coffee shop buys. Skipping that one thing will save you serious money, y'know? Just say no to Starbucks and The Sizzler.

And drop Netflix. Cox Cable. Hulu. HBO Ma--all of them. Start reading instead, like you always meant to. Library books, if you need new stuff.

And poormouth as much as possible when you're with family or friends. They might start dropping off goodies for you or inviting you over to eat.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 370October 25, 2022 8:02 AM

No thx r370

That’s punishment

by Anonymousreply 371October 25, 2022 1:17 PM

The streaming services are in the process of being wrecked and downsized so giving up all but the essential ones will not be much of a sacrifice. I get HBOmax to watch edgy indies, not fucking Magnolia Network's Fixer Upper Castle.

by Anonymousreply 372October 25, 2022 4:57 PM

Watch streaming services for free, there are several online websites to do this.

I keep my cable because it's very low, it's included in my co-op maintenance, otherwise for the cable package the co-op residents get for $55, it would be over $200 a month. I have two cable/DVR boxes, the internet/modem, four premium channels and both extra tiers which would cost an extra $25 each, all this for only $55 a month.

In certain areas of the US, teachers can get cable discounts. A teacher friend gets a cable discount, they live upstate NY.

by Anonymousreply 373October 25, 2022 5:21 PM

I wear ear plugs everyday when I take my walk - except for Sunday. I use them generally for three days in a row that means that a bottle of 60 pairs can last me for up to 180 days.

by Anonymousreply 374October 27, 2022 3:29 AM

r373 keyword search: apk streaming

by Anonymousreply 375October 27, 2022 3:39 AM

r371 There's several free to low university courses, too.

Ever wanted to take an enrichment program at hardvard?

It might be absolute shit but you can say, "hey, I'm taking harvard classes"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376October 27, 2022 3:42 AM

r370 I'd typically post eyecandy hardbodies with extreme keto budget plans but math challenged, crazy eyed fraus have more recent vids in these price inflated times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377October 27, 2022 3:48 AM

[quote]I happened upon a K cup Kuerig coffee machine…..Still in box at Angel View (a thrift store) in Rancho Mirage for two bucks. Of course, when I use it I feel guilty for all the wasteful plastic from the single serve k cups.

There are reusable K Cups at many grocery stores and on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 378October 27, 2022 4:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!