Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Franco Zeffirelli

Let's discuss the opera, theater, and film director. The senator. The production designer. The personality.

He considered himself homosexual because "gay" did not sound elegant enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2024 10:40 PM

His Desert Island Disc in 1978

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2022 11:40 PM

His Desert Island Disc in 2003

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2022 11:41 PM

TURANDOT and LA BOHEME are still going "strong" at the Met.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2022 11:41 PM

Handsome when he was young. Too bad he was a sexual predator

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2022 11:43 PM

Agree- his Met productions are their best!

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2022 11:44 PM

I wonder what the casting was like for "Endless Love"? Martin Hewitt wasn't chosen for his acting chops (and remember, Tom Cruise had a bit part).

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2022 11:49 PM

Of course his Romeo and Juliet and Leonard Whiting’s spectacular twink ass have to be mentioned.

Otherwise, I also adore his Cavaleria Rusticana with Georges Prêtre conducting and Placido singing. It’s my imprint recording, but I shamelessly think it’s ethereal. The opera is also so beautifully cohesive. One of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2022 11:50 PM

Fun fact. Bruce Robinson who played Benvolio in Romeo and Juliet went on to write and direct the cult classic Withnail and I. He based the character of rapey Uncle Monty on Franco Zeffirelli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2022 11:51 PM

Let's not forget Brother Sun Sister Moon. A gay little religious movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2022 11:54 PM

"Jesus of Nazareth"

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2022 11:57 PM

He was the driving force to keep opera and Shakespeare relevant in the last half of the 20th Century.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2022 12:01 AM

Not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2022 12:34 AM

I wonder if he was on Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2022 3:56 AM

My high school freshman class made us which his version of Romeo and Juliet, and without knowing anything about Zeffirelli, I knew the director just had to be a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2022 3:58 AM

Actor Johnathon Schaech: I Was Molested by Director Franco Zeffirelli

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2022 4:07 AM

R15 fake

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2022 4:21 AM

Almost every day, Franco would say, “I need to be with you.” We filmed all over Italy and at one point we were at a château, and he would come to my door, knock on my door late at night. But I kept it locked. I would literally put stuff, chairs and things, in front of it. I could hear him coming. During the day, he would say things like “I’m coming up to see you tonight” and I would say, “I’m not OK with that Franco, it’s not OK.” He didn’t listen. I didn’t have an agent, or anyone to talk to or protect me except for my acting coach, who was unbelievable, but at the time was on his deathbed.

At the same time, Franco was verbally abusive. It got to the point where he made me feel like I couldn’t act, I couldn’t do anything right, I couldn’t speak right, I couldn’t move right — everything I did was wrong. So I felt beaten down.

[Then], one night, I think it was when we were at a hotel in Sicily and my costar wasn’t there, he told me he was coming to my room. This time he had managed to get a key. I was in bed sleeping and he let himself into the bedroom and he got beside my bed and was over the top of me on the side of the bed as I awoke. He got in my face. There was a moment where I was telling him “No” and he told me, “We have to.” I remember his breath smelling of scotch. And this is the whole thing, and you hear it from the women who are opening up now about their own experiences with abuse: There’s a moment where, even though you are taught to be charming and have sex appeal as an actor, a line is crossed and everything changes. When someone crosses that line, when someone preys on you, there’s a panic that sets in. That’s what Franco did. He crossed that boundary and I felt as though I left my body.

He molested me in my bed.

He put his hands in places that I couldn’t even imagine and he did things that I am not proud of. But it’s not my fault. His pants never came off but I can [still] see him fumbling with his belt. He attempted to give me oral sex. I just remember being like, “God, please no. I’m OK, I’m OK.” I did nothing. I just lay there in bed. It felt like four hours but it was probably like 30 seconds.

In the moment, I don’t remember thinking, “Oh no, my career, I have to do this.” [Instead] I felt like it was a rite of passage, like I had to do it in a sense. I was vulnerable. I didn’t scream and yell. I didn’t physically stop him, and it took me 25 years to answer the question why not. There’s a moment when someone is being violated by a predator where it is a clear form of violence that creates trauma in the body. We have a fight or flight response. People say they “leave their bodies” and that’s what I did. When it was obvious Franco wasn’t getting what he wanted that night, he just left. He never tried to touch me again. I told him not to come near me again. He never said anything about it. For the predator who crosses the line they think that it’s OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2022 4:27 AM

Predatory gay men really creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2022 5:47 AM

R18 as opposed to predatory straight men?

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2022 5:48 AM

We watched Romeo and Juliet in a high school English class and had to get permission slips from the parentals to watch it.

Because of the nudity, obvs.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2022 5:51 AM

Forgot to add that the only two films of his I’ve watched are Jesus Of Nazareth and Romeo and Juliet.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2022 5:52 AM

Gross. He probably got away with it when he was younger and cuter.

Didn't Visconti do the same thing to him?

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2022 5:53 AM

R19 We aren't discussing predatory straight men.

You stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2022 5:55 AM

R23 I doubt anybody has ever preyed on your ugly ass.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2022 5:57 AM

R24

You don't even know me.

And, why are you defending sex predators?

You must be one.

You're disturbed.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2022 5:59 AM

R25 You talk like a bitchy tween girl. The opposite of anything sexy.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2022 6:02 AM

[quote]“Oh no, my career, I have to do this.”

Zefferelli's mistake for choosing a male princess. There's a zillion more handsome boys that would get down on their knees, arse up, faster than you could say 'snap' for a movie role.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2022 6:07 AM

Mean Queen

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2022 6:23 AM

I liked Tea With Mussolini. Was surprised Maggie Smith's (nephew?) wasn't a hot twink.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2022 6:37 AM

[quote]He put his hands in places that I couldn’t even imagine

This is making me LOL

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2022 8:16 AM

R17

Uncle Montys moves for sure

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2022 9:44 AM

A talentless and vulgar showman, hack, and predator. He had about 1/100 of the gifts of his mentor and first sugar daddy Luchino Visconti. We'll give him props for giving us the nude backsides of Leonard Whiting and Martin Hewitt on screen, but otherwise most of his work is worthless and already forgotten. I believe Jonathon Schaech about 1000%. I've no doubt it happened exactly as he detailed.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2022 11:20 AM

response from Zeffirelli’s Son

In a statement to PEOPLE, Zeffirelli’s son, Pippo, responded: “It is alleged that 25 years ago an actor, who was then in his early twenties, was the victim of alleged verbal abuse and alleged attempted sexual abuse by my father during the filming of The Sparrow in Sicily, Italy. [He] would have been 70 at the time. It is also alleged that my father drank alcohol and may have been drunk on set. Mr. Zeffirelli and all our family were living in a villa, whilst actors, production and staff were staying in a hotel in Catania; all these allegations are not credible. At the time Johnathon suffered from a throat type of obstruction which made his speaking difficult. Directors have different styles and some time they could be much more demanding on inexperienced actors. My father is in poor health and not able to understand this attack and to respond to the allegations made by Jonathan Schaech. This would be an attack to a great director, an artist and to a man at the end of his life that he is not able, nor he will be in the future able to respond. This will be an incredible damage to his image and reputation on the basis of allegations which are not credible and cannot be proved.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2022 12:10 PM

I don't believe it

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2022 1:26 PM

[quote]At the time Johnathon suffered from a throat type of obstruction which made his speaking difficult.

So Zefferelli was just trying to clear Jonathon's throat obstruction?

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2022 1:32 PM

The most shocking thing is that he had kids.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2022 1:37 PM

Was the throat obstruction a penis?

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2022 1:46 PM

In 1996, Zeffirelli came out as gay, but thereafter preferred to be discreet about his personal life.

Zeffirelli said that he considered himself "homosexual" rather than gay, as he felt the term "gay" was less elegant.

Zeffirelli adopted two adult sons, men with whom he had lived and who worked for him for years, managing his affairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2022 2:50 PM

"There’s a moment when someone is being violated by a predator where it is a clear form of violence that creates trauma in the body. We have a fight or flight response."

And then there's us others who would knee him in the nuts and call the police.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2022 5:39 PM

[quote] He put his hands in places that I couldn’t even imagine

I mean the options are kind of limited (unless were talking Cronenbergian body horror here).

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2022 6:37 PM

"Zeffirelli adopted two adult sons. "

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2022 7:13 PM

Johnathon Schaech appeared in a Gregg Araki film and yet found Zeffirelli more disturbing. That tells you something.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2022 9:37 PM

Does it mean Zeffirelli was a true freak?

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2022 9:44 PM

Johnathon Schaech appeared in a Gregg Araki film and yet found Zeffirelli more disturbing. That tells you something.

Well, maybe its because Sparrow came first, in 1993. Schaech was 23 at the time.

Araki's Splendor was in 1999. Schaech was 30 by that point.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2022 9:48 PM

Oh, sorry. I see Schaech was also in Gregg Araki's Doom Generation, which came out in 1995. Again, after Sparrow.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2022 9:50 PM

Jesus of Nazareth is the greatest Biblical film ever made.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2022 10:58 PM

[quote]IT'S TIME FOR STRANGE SPY FACTS! HOOK-UPS AND MARRIAGE!

[quote]Donald Downes, who spied for Yanks (OSS) & Brits (BSC) during WWII was gay...according to his friend Tennessee Williams. His boyfriend during the post-war years in Italy was Franco Zeffirelli, yeah, that Franco Zeffirelli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2022 11:00 PM

That’s one friendship circle I’d love to have been part of! He knew everyone in the arts and fashion. He was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2022 11:06 PM

Zeffirelli had sugar daddies when he was young, and was a sugar daddy when he was old.

I don't see the issue?

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2024 7:29 PM

For those of you who are fans of Zeffirelli’s scenic style, the Complete Works book is a visual collection of his work in theater, opera, and film. It’s as big as a bible, and the hardcover book sells for under $25 on Amazon.

With the exception of his La Scala Aida, I am a fan of most of his opera work. I have seen Turandot and La Bohème at the Met and others on video,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2024 8:26 PM

If I had seen “Romeo & Juliet” in high school I would have ripped my underwear waistband and run home to tattle to my parents!

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2024 9:52 PM

I believe all I've heard about him. It was a career long pattern of making unwanted advances and manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2024 10:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!