Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The original 'Gossip Girl' series is 15 today

This day in 2007, we met the cast of characters we all know and love.

Now I'm craving a gin martini to wash back a grilled-cheese and truffle-oil sandwich!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2022 1:48 PM

I liked the first few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2022 9:35 PM

Always thought Chuck Bass was so disgustingly ugly. Like teen girls would give give up their pussy to him.

Nate on the other hand....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2022 9:38 PM

I liked Lonely Boy, and wished he and Nate would date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2022 9:43 PM

R2 that was the weird thing, the show did a strange 180 on Chuck.

In the first season, as in most of the books (with the exception of the last two), Chuck is presented as a disgusting, sweaty, amoral, rapist pig, whose only redeeming qualities are money and snappy dress sense. It seems that after that first season, though, CW took stock, realised there was money in marketing a Blair/Chuck slowburn romance arc, that does not happen in the books--Chuck's main love interests in the novels are, in order: 1. Himself, 2. Serena--unrequited, and 3. Greg the hipster colleague of Dan. So, the head writers of the show decided to try and reform the Chuck character from a villain into an antihero. This process took a lot of trick lighting, tailoring, heavy-handed script alterations, and entirely invented subplots (i.e. the Paris farrago). And somehow, it worked.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2022 9:46 PM

R4 - the writers saw the smoking chemistry between Blair and Chuck in the pilot and the rest, as they say, is history.

The show would have been deadly boring without them.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2022 9:48 PM

R2 - because Nate was pretty but empty and sexless, like a Ken doll.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2022 9:49 PM

I found Chuck's way of speaking endlessly annoying. It was like a little boy trying to sound like his dad by lowering his voice very self-consciously.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2022 9:53 PM

R1 yes, the first two seasons were the best.

Actually, season one feels like a totally different show, more like a mature black comedy instead of the glitzy childish soap into which it devolved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2022 9:55 PM

A DLer a few years back commented on a Blake Lively movie thread that she looks just like comedian Dan Soder, facially, and I've never been able to unsee it.

They could be twins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2022 9:56 PM

15? Pfft, too old

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2022 9:58 PM

The first season was the best.

The second was good.

But by the end it was unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2022 9:59 PM

Do they cut the writing budget on shows as the go along?

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2022 10:13 PM

I don’t know why TV shows get bad. I think people who made it good, leave (as in producers). I don’t think they ran out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2022 10:30 PM

The original show was great. Leighton Meester was my favorite from the main cast, but Michelle Trachtenberg was my favorite of the guest stars (as Georgina Sparks).

The reboot sucked. I only made it through 4 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2022 10:33 PM

R13 if they needed ideas, the dozen or more novels were full of unused ones. Really, the show diverges wildly from the original source material, and has never gone back to it (not even with the reboot).

It would be interesting to see a show or movie that followed the style, characterisation and plots of one of the books closely. Though I suspected it would be cancelled in a heartbeat for showing too much unabashed privilege (when that's literally the satirical point).

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2022 10:38 PM

My favorite was Chuck Bass, the actor was so cute to me. I love exotic yet cute looking guys.

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2022 10:44 PM

Same, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2022 10:45 PM

They should've changed casts after two years, like "Skins" did.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2022 10:46 PM

How long did Skins run?

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2022 10:48 PM

In Season 4, I so wanted Damien Dalgaard to fuck Eric van der Woodsen.

After that didn't happen, I only watched for the fashion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2022 10:56 PM

R16 eggs-O-ick? Ain't Ed Westwick from Essex....

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2022 11:00 PM

R13 - The way I've always heard it explained is that Hollywood is constantly cannibalizing itself. You have a hit show. The best writers start getting wooed after the first season -- "why write a hit for that guy when we'll give you a deal for your own show!" So the second tier writers remain, moving up, and new writers come on. The show continues to do well, so next in line get poached and on and on it goes until you wind up with your typically crappy long-in-the-tooth TV show. There are variations, and it's not always a given (some shows stay great for years), but that's one way a show dies.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2022 11:10 PM

Isn't Chuck an alleged pig rapist in real life too R4 ?

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2022 11:14 PM

R23 over the last five years, four different women have accused Westwick of sexual assault, but he's not been charged or brought to trial due to 'insufficient evidence'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2022 12:32 AM

I always assumed he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2022 3:05 PM

R20 it speaks to how minimal and tokenistic the writing was for gay characters on GG that I forgot Erik van der Woodsen even existed in the show, let alone that he was gay. He's actually not gay nor is he Serena's sweet vulnerable younger brother in the original story, rather a largely-absent mysterious older straight brother with creepy designs on Blair.

Sorry to keep going on about the books, but they were a little better for gay content. In them, Chuck & Dan are both openly bisexual rivals and happy to pursue men as romantic/sexual partners (occasionally, the same man); the core group has secondary-character gay friends in their rich-bitch clique; and even Blair & Serena would flirt quite a lot and make occasional good-natured hints to each other about ditching the men who kept coming between them and becoming a F/F couple instead (sadly they never quite sealed that deal, though they did end up single and driving away into the sunset at the end).

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2022 3:54 PM

[quote] I always assumed he was gay.

No one said he was a competent rapist.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2022 11:06 PM

In the novels, Vanessa was not a biracial girl with a Boho style.

She was a crazy White goth chick with a shaved head and always wore black

They should have kept it that way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2022 4:57 AM

Vanessa was boring and I’m not sure making her a goth would’ve added anything to the show.

I stuck through GG until the end, but man did it get laughably bad in its final years. The Ivy/Charlie storyline…Bart (supposedly one of the richest men in the world) faking his death…the introduction of Sage…

Not to mention Dan being GG meant he went out of his way to cruelly humiliate his sister and girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2022 10:27 AM

Did anyone bother reading the spin-off series It Girl?

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2022 10:41 AM

R30 - Was it about me?

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2022 11:30 AM

R30 nah, I downloaded the first one online but it wasn’t about any of the OG characters I liked, so I gave up a couple of chapters in. Plus the writing, narration and plot style had changed to fall more in line with the show, which felt inauthentic and lame. The first books that came out before the show have some bite and campiness to them that’s missing in later ones.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2022 1:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!