Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brian Cox Reveals How He Really Feels About Method Acting: 'It's Crap'

Brian Cox doesn’t have a very positive opinion about method acting!

The 76-year-old Succession star blasted the theoretical approach to acting during a Q&A session after the screening for his new movie Prisoner’s Daughter at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival.

“I don’t hold a lot of the American s-it, having to have a religious experience every time you play a part,” Brian said, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s crap.”

Instead of holding onto a role, the actor explained that he lets go of his characters once he’s done with them. “I let them go through me. The thing is to be ready to accept, as an actor. You stand there, you’re ready to accept whatever is thrown at you,” he said.

“You just let it come through you. And you don’t get in the f-cking way,” Brian added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2023 7:33 PM

I've always thought method acting was a scam. Just fucking act.

And it's usually straight white guys who pull that shit on the set as well. Imagine Cate Blanchett or any other actress of note pulling pranks on the cast and the crew because "it helps her to be in character 24/7"?

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2022 11:40 PM

Boar on the floor!

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2022 11:42 PM

Wasn’t he in BRAVEHEART? I haven’t seen him in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2022 11:50 PM

He’s in everything.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2022 11:52 PM

He says this in every interview these days. We get it. You think you are a great actor!

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2022 11:55 PM

Does he have Oscar noms? Or he just signs on for any trash?

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2022 11:56 PM

They height of unprofessionalism and lack of skill.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2022 11:56 PM

Between this and Mads Mikkelsen, people are really shitting on method acting lately. It's certainly worth criticizing the excessive or disrespectful methods of certain actors, but it has been used by some of the most brilliant actors to produce fantastic, nuanced performances. I can't dismiss or hate the technique used by James Gandolfini to play Tony Soprano, to give one example of many.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2022 12:00 AM

Hope he doesn’t have a problem with Jeremy Strong.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2022 12:04 AM

A foul-mouthed Brit taking money from gullible Americans.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote]Hope he doesn’t have a problem with Jeremy Strong.

I suspect that is why he is saying this.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2022 12:24 AM

R9, that was my first thought, given Strong’s pompous interview earlier this year.

I guess there’s not a lot of Succession fans here, he’s impressive as the foul mouthed, manipulative patriarch of the family.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2022 12:25 AM

Bitter much?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2022 12:26 AM

That’s a shame r12. It’s such a great show with a fantastic cast. Strong gives a very nuanced performance that can break your heart or make you hate him.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote][bold]Brian Cox Is Glad ‘Succession’ Is Ending, and Doubles Down on Hating Method Acting: ‘I Don’t Put Up With That American S—’[/bold]

[quote]“It’s really a cultural clash,” Cox says. “I don’t put up with all that American shit. I’m sorry. All that sort of ‘I think, therefore I feel.’”

[quote]“Just do the job,” Cox continues. “Don’t [italic]identify[/italic].” He points to the case of estimable Method actor Daniel Day-Lewis, with whom he worked on the 1997 film “The Boxer,” and blames those immersive techniques for Day-Lewis’ early retirement. “He retired at the age of 55, and I’m going, ‘That’s when the roles become really interesting. You’ve retired just at the point when actually the roles get better!’” Cox exclaims. “Of course, Jeremy was Dan Day-Lewis’ assistant. So he’s learned all that stuff from Dan.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 2:43 PM

People who use method cannot act. Method is not acting. You can act or your can’t. British actors mock method actors.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2023 2:45 PM

It is a scam. We all wanted to believe it because Brando or Dean or Pacino or whoever. It's still a scam. It's all about personality, always will be.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2023 2:47 PM

Brian Cox is a tiresome prick. Feck him. He played Uncle Argyle in Braveheart. He played Hannibal Lecter in Manhunter. Ten minutes of combined screen time. I don't watch Succession so I can't speak to his acting on that show. I know I can live with never watching him act again. Jeremy Strong is a good actor who makes interesting choices. He won't have to beg for work. I thought he was great in The Trial of the Chicago Seven. No one needs to defend DDL. The guy is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2023 4:33 PM

Method is something that’s been completely misinterpreted since it came to the States. Even Brando himself trashed Strasberg and said Stella Adler (who was more correct in her interpretation of Stavlinski) was the acting teacher he took his cues from - and her application was a more emotional one that didn’t require body transformations or weird accents.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2023 4:42 PM

Love both Cox and Strong. Really wish succession would’ve gone for five years.

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2023 5:53 PM

Cox sounds like a cunt. What fucking business is it of his?

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2023 7:29 PM

Because he's an actor and he was asked about an acting technique? So he gave an answer?

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2023 7:32 PM

Strong is so much more annoying than Cox.

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2023 7:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!