Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dealing with Anger Management in middle age

It’s recently come to my attention that I don’t handle my anger well. I was in a supermarket and an old man almost hit my mothers cart. He said look where you’re going to my mom and I told him to go fuck himself. My mom was embarrassed and felt like that was really inappropriate. She conceded that maybe she hadn’t been watching where she was going.

It made me reflect on my life and although I’ve never been in a fight I’ve lost my temper quite a few times I'm the work place as well as in relationships. I tend to verbally lash out. In the workplace it has been tolerated because I’ve always been a hard worker but I’ve lost lovers and friends because of it. I once called a supervisor a cunt and I’ve sworn at an belittled some clients. There were never any consequences beyond a stern talking too so I really have been fortunate but I want to change. How do you learn a new way to be? How do you control your tempers?

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2022 5:43 PM

You talk to others the way YOU expect to be talked to.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2022 1:26 AM

Find a therapist because there is a deeper problem inside of you.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2022 1:31 AM

R2 is correct.

Sadly, most people with anger issues don’t ever seek help because the underlying issues are too much for many of them to handle.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2022 1:33 AM

Re-identify, rename, that feeling you experience and have named "anger" as "energy".

A dam takes the energy of massive matter to hold back water. Think of your anger as that dam that is being used to hold back that compulsion to say ugly words.

Then, just as a dam eases the pressure of the water by opening some valves, allow the dam to calmly allow some calm words out.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2022 1:35 AM

Just blame it on your blood sugar levels.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2022 1:36 AM

OP, you deserve credit for recognizing your problem. Go into therapy now, before you lose your job or be arrested. In the meantime, if you're angry, say nothing, and count to 5, to calm down.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2022 1:48 AM

Have you tried screaming with angry power?

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2022 1:57 AM

Stay away from fountain pens.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2022 2:27 AM

I have had problems with my viper's tongue as well. I learned to step away. Sleep on it. Or send that email rant to myself. Things look different the next day. I think some of us take longer to learn this than others but you can control it. And once you do, you realize you hold all the power. People want to get a reaction out of you so never give them that power.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2022 2:41 AM

What are you like drunk?

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2022 3:01 AM

some might find this trite, but regular (ie daily) strenuous physical activity can be helpful. It’s how I manage my own overwhelming rage!

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2022 3:02 AM

Thanks r9 you are right. I think when I lash out or last out in defence of someone I love I feel like I or they are being attacked and I automatically go on attack. R10 I’m usually a really jovial drunk. I can be very slutty or sometimes if I drink at home I just like to watch a good movie by myself. I think I have a lot of painful things I’ve just tried to bury I think therapy would do me well.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2022 3:04 AM

OP I had a similar experience with my mom in a department store where I lost my temper with the clerk. My mom was also very embarrassed and angry with me, but my mom's a push over. This was about 10 years ago and I'm currently pushing 50. There were other incidents too, particularly when driving. I sought help and made some changes.

I don't get angry these days because I know it just hurts me. The other person just tunes it out but you're left with the physical and mental consequences. It simply serves nobody or thing. Nothing is accomplished so why do it?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2022 3:08 AM

For fucks sake OP you finally get to be King after DECADES of just fiddling with your johnson. - just suck it up and lay off the self-pity. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2022 3:20 AM

I kind of like that you told the old man to go fuck himself but if the anger issues have caused you to lose friends/relationships definitely book in with a therapist. The count to ten thing does help too.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2022 3:33 AM

OP, you should seek professional help. You will not get mellow and less angry as you get older (as is commonly believed). I know someone who, in their 60s, finally got repercussions for an angry outburst. It involved getting arrested.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2022 3:48 AM

Lots of Karens in this thread, having tantrums "defending" their moms in public places.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2022 4:03 AM

I love that you are so protective of

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2022 4:16 AM

^your mother

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2022 4:17 AM

Some people are douche bags, OP. They deserve your anger. If good people like you don't get angry at the douche bags, how will douche bags ever learn?

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2022 8:37 AM

The thing to realise, OP, is that you are making a choice. You are choosing your targets, people who can't fight back. And that means you can make other choices.

As you get older, you will become more vulnerable and more dependent on the goodwill of others, even to the point of your life depending on it. That is why you have to control this aggression and low impulse control now, while you can.

Did you regret losing friends or lovers as a result of lashing out? What about your lost investment in those relationships? We have fewer and fewer friends as time goes on, can you really risk losing more?

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2022 8:44 AM

OP do you have hypertension? It can contribute to bad temper spells i was recently told.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2022 9:32 AM

OP, come here to vent on the asshats who post ignorant shit.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2022 10:03 AM

Angry outbursts often happen when someone feels unheard, misunderstood, disrespected or devalued. It isn't 'always' unjustified to express anger. Maybe find a better way to do it though. Instead of "go fuck yourself" maybe just calmly say: "Can I speak to the manager?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2022 10:12 AM

You've got it backwards, R22. Stress and anger contribute to hypertension.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2022 10:35 AM

I know that r25.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2022 10:42 AM

You're in the right place, hun.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2022 10:59 AM

Dear OP,

you can either punch pillows until you get an enlightening epiphany regarding your issues, or you could just do the DL thing and smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2022 11:10 AM

Stay home and yell at the tv.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2022 11:13 AM

DL loves lashing out at old people and women because they can’t fight back. OP just keep it up and you will get the shit kicked out of you . No therapy will be needed..

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2022 11:19 AM

Most anger comes from injury to the ego. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2022 11:22 AM

[quote]DL loves lashing out at old people, young people, middle-aged people, women, men, theys, non-binaries, Americans, Chinese, Asians, black people, white people, brown people, adjacent people, living people, dead people, in-between people ...

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2022 11:23 AM

Lots of wise advice on this thread I can use myself. A variation on counting to ten is the line often used by the Mark Rylance character in "Bridge Of Spies": 'Would it help?'

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2022 11:57 AM

Middle-aged & old men with entitlement and anger problems are a societal plague. Why can’t men just learn to be conciliatory?

My father is one such man—he can’t have a dinnertable conversation or a nice walk without a rant or a mean comment or raising his voice for no reason. Of course, such a thing as introspective reflection or therapy or even just apologising for being a rude ragey POS is inconceivable to him, because the rest of the world and everyone in it is the problem, not him.

Sorry to vent, I’m just sick of his shit, and being unable to speak up about it (he’s a veteran and a homophobe, it wouldn’t end well for me). He’s 64, and he’s only going to become more unbearable from now. I just want my Mom to be free of this asshole, but she won’t leave him, even though he hasn’t had a job for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2022 11:58 AM

I'm so sorry for you and your mom, R34. I agree with you completely, re: "Middle-aged & old men with entitlement and anger problems are a societal plague."

They make up the majority of our leaders, world-wide. These are our hardcore MAGAts. Why Roe fell and Obergefell is in danger. Why our votes may not even count for much longer. Why our planet is on fire. Why you can't go to a parade, school, or the grocery store without fear of getting gunned down with an AR-15.

I'm fed up with their hate affecting us all.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2022 12:12 PM

R34 - my dad, who just died at 88 was like that. He wasn’t a dead best or a bad husband (and was mostly a good father) but he was always yelling or complains about something. I withdrew emotionally in my 30s and physically once the whole TrumpShow started 7 years ago - and feel no guilt about it whatsoever. I hope you can distance yourself to a degree that works well for you but still have a relationship with your mom.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2022 2:48 PM

Go tell it to Dr. Phil.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2022 3:26 PM

OP, you should have followed that old fart out to his car and taken a dump on his hood then smashed his face in it while your mama takes pics for her Pinterest.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2022 4:17 PM

R37 so you're saying OP needs to assert himself less? Or others need to assert themselves more?

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2022 4:28 PM

Actually, learning to be assertive (expressing yourself in a clear and direct way without being abusive) is a good step. Of course you can change. It just takes insight and continued effort.

A teacher friend of mine told me she once quieted a pair of bitchy teenagers by saying, "Now what would be a nice way of saying that?" It's a good exercise. When you find yourself thinking "Fuck that fucking dumbass" or whatever, try to think it through and frame it in a less emotional way, like "How rude. Maybe he's got Alzheimers. That makes people aggressive." Much more copeable.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2022 4:36 PM

Clinical depression often manifests itself as ANGER and extreme irritability in men

OP: seek professional help

The middle age is a very dangerous time for men, yet so often overlooked and little discussed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2022 4:53 PM

Honestly, OP, what other stories do you have? Because in this, you are right. If someone said that to my mother I would also stick up for her.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2022 5:04 PM

You will not be punished for your anger. You will be punished by your anger.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2022 5:19 PM

Ya ain't seen nothing yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2022 5:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!