Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm concerned about Cher

Is this cultural appropriation, and does she need to be canceled?

I know times were different then, but, oh, my! The hair!

A Cherokee woman should have more cultural sensitivity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2022 6:57 AM

1. It's not cultural appropriation when you're invited to dance with a group of black people and you dance with them.

2. Michael was always a delicate pallid white woman inside, even when he had dark skin and an afro and a human nose. So if you're going to accuse Cher of being out of place, better accuse Michael, too.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2022 10:29 AM

Only Gay people can dance like that

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2022 10:43 AM

Cher is not Native America in any shape or form

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2022 10:49 AM

Who are the black fags with Cher'?

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2022 10:52 AM

She was invited, for heaven's sake, and they would have been aware of her intended costume and hairdo. A white person who wore her hair in an approximation of an afro would have been seen as supportive and admiring. "Black is Beautiful" only became a thing in the late 1960s. I assume it's a wig because it would have been too drastic for her to cut her signature long hair and perm it.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2022 10:56 AM

Trolls keep pounding a rhythm on their keyboards...

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2022 10:57 AM

Thx OP for that piece of fabulosity.

It's great to see MJ when he was still a black man, and Cher before she was preserved.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2022 10:58 AM

Cher is Armenian and Cherokee. You're not allowed to accuse her of racism. That's racist.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2022 10:59 AM

Her most obnoxious days were when she had her own catalog of crap to sell. I think she used to sell jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2022 11:01 AM

In later years, Cher disavowed her claim of Cherokee heritage and said it was “false.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2022 11:06 AM

It's a standard white American family history to have "some Indian in my blood." I'm sure every family has heard this about themselves.

I don't blame Elizabeth Warren for claiming it because I'm sure she grew up hearing that and, honestly, (I say this as a white person and so do feel free to call me ignorant) I think in a way it is good because it makes white people relate more to American Indian people rather than see them as entirely 'other.'

My mother's father is from the mountains of Virginia, mainly a German immigrant family, and my mom always thought he had "some Indian in him." DNA tests show we are 100% Northern and Western European.

A coworker of mine from Connecticut knew for sure she was part Native American. Her grandmother knew the tribe and the name. DNA shows she's Italian, Middle Eastern and Western and Southern European only. She was MAD.

But that said, American Indian people are a tiny population, with the many tribes even smaller than the totality and likely a lot of genetic variation among tribes. DNA tests need very large sample pools to associate DNA definitively with heritage, and so they are not at all reliable for American Indian ethnicity. Most (all?) American Indian tribes refuse to accept DNA evidence as a consideration for tribal membership.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2022 11:19 AM

Great clip , OP. Cher and the J5 have great chemistry together. And she rocks those Afro-Puffs.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2022 11:22 AM

For OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2022 11:23 AM

Tangent: this talk of Cher's parentage makes me think fondly of Joslyn Fox. She said to Chas Bono and Cher's mother:

[quote] "Please welcome someone who came out of Cher's vagina, and the vagina Cher came out of."

And then she asked Cher's mom to talk about her last-minute decision not to abort Cher!

Why hasn't Joslyn been brought back to RPDR as an all star?

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2022 11:27 AM

my favorite Cher hair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2022 11:33 AM

[Quote] I'm concerned...

I did not know Susan Collins posted on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2022 11:46 AM

Cultural appropriation is a dumb concept because no one wins that game. Cultural celebration is the better term.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2022 11:46 AM

[quote]It's a standard white American family history to have "some Indian in my blood."

My father's family has been traced back to Jamestown circa 1618 and my mother's family landed nearby circa 1630. I'm sure I have both Negro and Native American blood mixed in, but don't go around bragging about it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2022 12:00 PM

What about the hair? She looks gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2022 12:02 PM

Hmmm…I woke up this morning and I’m looking for something to be offended by. Please help me.

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2022 12:04 PM

That hideous style had nothing to do with an afro. It was called a “stack perm” and was all the rage of the early disco era...even Roseann Rosanadan wore it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2022 12:07 PM

STFU OP! It was the times! People were less triggered and more open to cross cultures! It wasn’t “appropriation” it was a salute to different cultures and looks. For fucks sake stop being the woke patrol and just chill the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2022 12:08 PM

R11

I like Elizabeth Warren and have forgiven her, but she was wrong to claim Native American ancestry on those forms without actually knowing. The purpose of asking is to determine whether an applicant has had challenges not experienced by other students or possibly, a different point of view that would make the individual a valuable member of the class, or workplace. In addition to other qualities and qualifications, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2022 2:51 PM

R21

A few years ago, I read another Internet debate and was amazed that so many people don't know what an afro is. It's a corona, it doesn't hang down.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2022 2:53 PM

R24 The internet can debate about it all they want but I grew up during that time. The hair style was called and Afro...I never heard of “corona...I guess Im not woke enough ;-)

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2022 5:05 PM

Really OP ?!? You want to cancel CHER ? Youre not too bright, are you ?

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2022 6:16 PM

R24

It has nothing to do with wokeness. I used "corona" to describe the shape of an afro. People were posting photos of women with longer curly hair that hung down instead of radiating out and insisting it was an afro. I grew up in the '60s and I had an afro in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2022 6:40 PM

People are always offended. It's like they enjoy it. I'm starting to think they wake up every day wanting to be angry and then scour the internet for hours until they find something to ree over.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2022 12:41 AM

People like OP and r28 who call others easily offended were the first ones to get offended by vegan sausage at Cracker Barrel or Disney standing up for LGBT people

Republicans are stupid

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2022 12:44 AM

Way back in the late 60s early 70s white people wore afros all the time. I never got a perm but I had short hair and once in a while, I would put about a million tiny hair rollers in my hair to get the afro look. It wasn't considered appropriation back then, but it was a pain in the ass to do if you didn't have a tight perm.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2022 1:01 AM

This is not an afro, it's a jewfro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2022 1:07 AM

I wish she had taken the stage in full on Al Jolson Mammy makeup.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2022 1:10 AM

Poor Op going to be triggered by Bananarama.

Fun starts at the 0:35 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2022 1:14 AM

Cher OWES us NOTHING!

She is CHER and that is ENOUGH!

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2022 2:27 AM

Wait until OP hears Cher's AL JOLSON medley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2022 2:30 AM

R24...I was joking about the “woke” crap ...but honestly never heard of “corona”...I was born in 55 so we are pretty close to the same generation.

I knew someone with a stack perm...it had to be the ugliest style ever. I dont care how gorgeous Cher was..that wig was god awful, even on her

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2022 2:49 AM

R31 Also called an "Isro." Streisand's hair is on the long side to be called that.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2022 7:24 PM

No one cancels Cher, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2022 7:42 PM

More pointless outrage fapping.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2022 5:00 AM

When I was a DJ/VJ we played that clip often. We played this one as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2022 6:42 AM

Another Cher video from days gone by popped up in my Youtube feed.

Quite a different choice in costume. But, then, the guests...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2022 9:41 AM

Cher is canceled forevermore!

She must never speak again!

She must pay reparations personally, to any Native American or Black person who requests it!

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2022 9:49 AM

The Osmond clip isn't as horrible as I dreaded. Cher sounds good in that mix. The eye-searingly craptastic outfits help.

by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2022 9:51 AM

/quote She must pay reparations personally, to any Native American or Black person who requests it!

So she's on the same boat with every other white person on the planet?

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2022 5:19 AM

[quote]R15 my favorite Cher hair

She looks rather… manly?

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2022 5:52 AM

OMG!!!! MJ was really black! Who knew!

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2022 6:11 AM

Cher wasn't a naturally good dancer, but she looks great in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2022 6:17 AM

[quote] It's a standard white American family history to have "some Indian in my blood."

[quote]My father's family has been traced back to Jamestown circa 1618 and my mother's family landed nearby circa 1630. I'm sure I have both Negro and Native American blood mixed in, but don't go around bragging about it.

Oh you are sure? Like I am sure I won the lottery but lost the ticket. It's called a DNA test Nitwit. Stop assuming unless you can prove it and being so smug about it at the same time. As someone who actually is a good part Native American and have the DNA test to prove, it I can assure you it's not just an assumption. Even in my case where the specific Tribe no longer exists, we still know the name and some specific traditions. Unless you got that, you are just wishful thinking.

As for Cher, I don't see it as cultural cultural appropriation as I do appreciation. She brought attention to Native American issues with her music at the time that no one else really talked about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2022 6:31 AM

[Quote]Wait until OP hears Cher's AL JOLSON medley!

It's certainly cringey today. But The Temptations singing "Swanee" back in the 1960s shocked me the most. I wouldn't expect a Black group, least of all them, to sing it. But attitudes and expectations were different then, and I think Berry Gordy (whose label they belonged to) thought it'd make them appeal to a White audience.

He did want his acts to crossover to a broader public at that time. I think Cher was pretty much thinking the same in the 1970s. It's the concept of popularity, acceptance, and earning more money as a result.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2022 6:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!