Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did All The M*A*S*H Actors Careers Die With The Show?

I blame the ****

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2022 12:36 PM

Not hot enough

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2022 9:28 PM

Alan Alda went on to steady movie work; he's especially good in Crimes and Misdemeanors, Manhattan Murder Mystery, and Flirting with Disaster.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2022 9:31 PM

I don't know, "Hello, Larry" was a rip-roarin' good time with that really big guy and two versions of the older sister dancing around McLean Stevenson

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2022 9:31 PM

Most people from hit shows don’t go on to have big successes again. If they’re lucky they got a supporting role in another series or do a lot of guest roles. Now they’d wind up in Lifetime tripe.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2022 9:35 PM

Within the context of the show, those actors were a great ensemble act. Out of it, who the fuck want to watch a movie, TV series, or pay with Harry Morgan or Jamie Farr

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2022 9:37 PM

Loretta Swit could'have done Cagney And Lacey.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2022 9:37 PM

I love Same Time, Next Year.

Total campfest.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2022 9:46 PM

Jamie Farr was HIGH-LARRY-US

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2022 9:47 PM

[quote] Loretta Swit could'have done Cagney And Lacey.

Thank god she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2022 9:49 PM

Harry Morgan had a long and successful career in movies and TV before MASH, including December Bride, Pete & Gladys, and Dragnet. As he was pushing 70 when MASH ended, I hope he was able to retire happily instead of scrambling for other roles (AfterMASH excepted; that one was created for him).

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2022 9:54 PM

Loretta would have been better on Kate and Allie and Margaret

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2022 9:54 PM

Loretta was a horrible actress and super unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2022 10:09 PM

Wayne Rogers became a financial advisor. Larry Linville died just a few years after the show ended. Gary Burghoff ... well, see r1.

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2022 11:32 PM

Loretta Swit must be the luckiest actress of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote]Harry Morgan had a long and successful career in movies and TV before MASH, including December Bride, Pete & Gladys, and Dragnet. As he was pushing 70 when MASH ended, [bold]I hope he was able to retire happily instead of scrambling for other roles[/bold](AfterMASH excepted; that one was created for him).

Yeaaaahhh, too bad his poor wife had to "scramble" away from Harry's fists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2022 11:45 PM

After the show ended they were probably all very comfortably financially and didn't really need to work unless they wanted to. None of them were cut out to be superstars.

by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2022 11:50 PM

I always thought Mike Farrell was exceptionally likeable, and I was glad when a few years ago he showed up on THE ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE.

And Rosalind Chao of course was on both ST: NEXT GENERATION and DEEP SPACE NINE... although she was unappealingly cast as a shrewish wife ("Miles!").

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2022 11:55 PM

Loretta did some TV movies but had some REALLY scary plastic surgery. Just weird lips and wigs for days. I read she was very unpleasant post-MASH as well. She threw a fit while shooting a Burger King commercial that the prop burger had too big of a bite out of it and she would look like a pig.

Alan Alda’s Mr. Sensitive act got old especially because he was an ass on set as well. Just ask Catherine O’Hara. She just groans when his name comes up.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2022 12:06 AM

Harry Morgan, Jamie Farr and William Christopher tried to remain tv stars with an execrable spinoff called "AfterMASH." It of course flopped.

Gary Burghoff, who left MASH supposedly because he didn't want to continue doing a tv series, tried to be the star of one called "W*A*L*T*E*R. Seems after Radar went home to Iowa he gets married but his wife leaves him for another man right after the wedding. He grew up on a farm but is a failure as a farmer and he loses the family farm and all its livestock. He packs his mother off to live with an Aunt and moves to St. Louis to be a cop. UGH.. A pilot of the show was aired but that was it. No series developed. A good thing too' it would have been even worse than AfterMASH.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2022 1:11 AM

It's the curse of Poltergeist!

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2022 1:18 AM

David Ogden Stiers was in a few Woody Allen movies.

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2022 1:20 AM

Loretta Swit had that bulldog face though. I never got her.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2022 1:21 AM

R18. That but about Lorretta made me laugh hard and if to makes me love her all the more. A friend of mine met her at the convention last year and said she was sweet as could be to everybody in line and was even handing out hand sanitizer.

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2022 1:22 AM

r6 and r9 Loretta Swit WAS in "Cagney & Lacey." She was the original Christine Cagney in the pilot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2022 1:23 AM

Loretta survived Helen Lawson, so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2022 1:24 AM

There was a TV station that ran three C&L episodes a night. If you caught it right as they were cycling the episodes, you could watch the last Daly/Gless episode followed by the Daly/Swit pilot followed by the first Daly/Foster episode.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2022 1:33 AM

Loretta Swit's only marriage was to Dennis Holahan. He was about a thousand times prettier than she was. He was in a MASH episode called where he played a Swedish delegate visiting the 4077. It's a rather grotesque episode because Hot Lips takes one look at the handsome Swede and gets wet. She practically drools over him and flings herself at him, even coming to his tent to initiate sex with him. Swit said that as soon as she laid eyes on Holahan she realized he was her soulmate. They married...and divorced. Supposedly he tries to soak her out of as big a divorce settlement as he could get. He was married once before Swit and had two kids but I saw a photograph of him where he pinged to high heaven. My guess is that her "soulmate" turned out to like cock. At any rate, Holahan is a lawyer and has been for a long time. Poor Loretta; he must have turned out to be a real jerk.

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2022 1:52 AM

R27 your episode description cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2022 1:54 AM

[quote]I always thought Mike Farrell was exceptionally likeable,

So did I

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2022 3:17 AM

Alan Alda got an Oscar, Tony and Emmy nomination all in one year in 2005. He did ok.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote]Larry Linville died just a few years after the show ended.

He died in 2000. That was 17 years later!

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2022 3:40 AM

Trapper John MD went on to be a pretty big hit that last for a few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2022 3:46 AM

I wasn’t around for MASH but I really wish I could understand it. It never made any sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2022 3:47 AM

OP, have you never heard of The Alan Alda Collection? He has quite a filmography.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2022 3:51 AM

I always get Alan Alda and Judd Hirsch mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2022 3:51 AM

Alan Alda's simpering sensitive act in the eighties was insufferable. I can't even stand looking at him anymore. And I never found M*A*S*H to be either funny or moving. Another overrated piece of garbage from the seventies.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2022 3:58 AM

None of the actors on MASH were exceptionally talented. But they did sitcom level acting well enough.

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2022 4:10 AM

Alda also hosted a show on PBS for a number if years.

Trapper John MD starred Pernell Roberts of Bonanza fame, not Wayne Rogers who played the character on the sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2022 4:28 AM

I saw Alda on Broad City too

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2022 4:37 AM

He was also on Showtime's [italic]The Big C[/italic] as Laura Linney's doctor.

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2022 4:51 AM

Jamie Farr, Loretta Swit, and Jeff Maxwell (Igor) at the Indiana Comic Convention this past May. Loretta's face work has settled and she looks great for 84.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2022 4:58 AM

^That Hero security guard was hot.

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2022 5:46 AM

MASH actors do Comic Conventions?

by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2022 6:32 AM

Poor Mildred, R15!

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2022 11:57 AM

She should have left her nose alone R41.

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2022 11:59 AM

I really wanna know what went through her head when the surgeon took the bandages off of her ruined face.

by Anonymousreply 46September 12, 2022 12:09 PM

R27 - Here's Dennis smelling cookies with Ted Shackelford. They were in a short-lived sitcom together called "Who's the Top?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2022 12:21 PM

R13 Larry Linville didn't die until 2000, 17 years after the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 48September 12, 2022 12:24 PM

The [bold]pilot movie[/bold] had Loretta Swit in the role of Cagney, while the first six episodes had Meg Foster in the role.

When the show was revived for a full-season run, Gless portrayed the role for six consecutive years.

by Anonymousreply 49September 12, 2022 1:38 PM

Sadly not all. Smug asshole Alan Alda was like dogshit on a shoe. Years and years on, you couldn't get rid of the stink of his bad acting and sanctimony.

by Anonymousreply 50September 12, 2022 1:51 PM

My favorite Alda has always been Rutanya. Probably because she's not related to those two gasbags.

By the way, Alan's birth name is Alphonso Joseph D'Abruzzo. I guess that wouldn't fit on the TV screen.

by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2022 10:24 PM

Is MASH that TV show that went off the air 40 YEARS ago?

by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2022 10:33 PM

Loretta is the star of one of my all-time favorite made-for-tv Christmas movies, 'The Best Christmas Pageant Ever,' based upon the terrific YA book of the same name. A very young Fairuza Balk plays Swit's daughter (this was even before Balk's turn as Dorothy in Return to Oz) and it's a very sweet film, though Swit's entire wadrobe is made up of off-white cowl neck sweaters and lady khakis which are never flattering on women.

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote]Is MASH that TV show that went off the air 40 YEARS ago?

No. I went off the air 39 years ago.

Final episode aired February 28, 1983.

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2022 10:44 PM

[quote] Is MASH that TV show that went off the air 40 YEARS ago?

It's shown in endless reruns on Me Tv. It's still being watched today. It was one of the most popular sitcoms of all time.

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2022 10:54 PM

Mike Farrell worked. He played the dad on that Melina Kanakaredes show Providence.

by Anonymousreply 56September 12, 2022 10:57 PM

Jamie Farr is a right wing conservative - hardcore.

My mother thought Loretta was one of the ugliest women on television. She said that she resembled Miss Piggy.

by Anonymousreply 57September 12, 2022 11:08 PM

[quote] My mother thought Loretta was one of the ugliest women on television. She said that she resembled Miss Piggy.

Your mother was right. Her looks were passable for a while but she just kept getting harder to look at. And those wigs! One of them looked like it belonged on Harpo Marx. I think her new curly mop of hair was explained by saying Hot Lips had given herself a permanent. It was strange to hear all the talk on the show about how sexually desirable she was, because she became more and more unattractive as the show went on.

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2022 12:05 AM

Most of them went on to fine guest appearances on Murder, She Wrote

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2022 12:24 AM

This pretty much happens with all actors on long-running shows. They get so linked to their characters they can't break the mold. Very few manage. Look at Lost - none of them have had a career despite being big stars when the show was on.

by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] Look at Lost - none of them have had a career despite being big stars when the show was on.

You haven't sen an Ant-Man movie, I take it. Or Hawaii 5-0.

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2022 12:54 AM

We were just really sick of them after all those years on that over-praised show.

by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2022 5:27 AM

Because career suicide is painless.

by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2022 5:31 AM

My father noted Swit was built like a Coke bottle. He wasn't disapproving, mind.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2022 9:55 AM

She was shapely.

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2022 10:53 AM

I think Gary Burghoff's career died primarily because he could be a nasty cunt to work with. By the time he left MASH he was on the outs with many of the cast and crew. Plus he had the problem with the crab claw hand. Too hard to shoot around I reckon.

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2022 11:04 AM

Trust me, guys -- 6.8 million U.S. troops served during the Korean War period, of which 22,000 were women. Any woman who served was automatically attractive just by virtue of being female.

And BTW, for you young'uns, the appeal of M*A*S*H* (since it appears to have eluded you) was that it was an allegory of/commentary on the Vietnam conflict without them ever having to allude to Vietnam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2022 11:19 AM

The show itself lasted longer than the actual Korean Conflict. How were they dealing with that? The characters noticeably aged. No one ages that much in three years, war or not. And the hairstyles were woefully anachronistic.

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote]Trapper John MD went on to be a pretty big hit that last for a few seasons.

That had nothing to do with M*A*S*H other than the title

[quote]Alan Alda got an Oscar, Tony and Emmy nomination all in one year in 2005

Which he lost. Only an Oscar is worthy of anything, and only if you get a Best Actor/Actress or Director nod..

If you don't win...Well ask Julia Duffy about that.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2022 2:49 PM

R13

M*A*S*H ended in 1983. Linville died in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2022 3:09 PM

The war obviously was making the characters of this show go stark raving mad. They all, with the exception of poor Henry Black and poor Radar, have mental breakdowns and violent outbursts. Hawkeye breaks down THREE times. I heard somewhere that if that happened in real life HE would have been the one to get the Section 8. They're all bitching and moaning and complaining about the horrible, awaful, stinking war. The KOREAN was. I wonder how it would have affected them if it had been the Vietman war? I guess they all would have committed suicide. Suicide is painless indeed.

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2022 10:39 PM

this was before my time. any gay actors in this?

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2022 10:42 PM

R66 It's odd, I've watched almost every episode of MASH numerous times and never saw or noticed his hand.

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2022 10:44 PM

The teddy bear was intended to hide it.

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2022 11:55 PM

It was deformed somehow…fused fingers or something like that…

by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2022 2:21 AM

R72 David Ogden Stiers was gay.

by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2022 2:45 AM

Yes, r72. David Ogden Stiers came out a few years before he died. He wasn’t out during his MASH years but his character was of the prissy, persnickety variety which were often meant to be gay-coded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2022 2:59 AM

Mike Farrell was the worst actor, for me. I don't think he got one genuine laugh during the entire run of the show.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2022 3:19 AM

At first it seemed that Winchester and Hot Lips would have an affair but Ogden Stiers and Swit had no chemistry at all so that idea was abandoned. There were a couple of episodes where Winchester was paired with a woman but he was never believable as a man who liked women. That said the character of Winchester was kind of interesting. At first they made him a straight out villain but in later episodes he showed a kinder, gentler side. But too many of the shows had Charles being fucked over in some way or another and it got tiresome and stupid because he really wasn't that bad and didn't deserve to be treated like shit. Hell, even Frank Burns didn't deserve to be treated the way he was treated. The pranks and practical jokes frequently came off as more juvenile and cruel than funny.

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2022 3:21 AM

[quote] Mike Farrell was the worst actor, for me. I don't think he got one genuine laugh during the entire run of the show.

No, he wasn't cut out to do comedy. When he first came on the show it seemed like he would be a stabilizing contrast to Hawkeye's nuttiness but he morphed into an even bigger wisecracking, practical joke pulling jackass than Hawkeye. He became one of the most unbearable characters on the show. And he thought he had it worse than anybody else at the 4077 because he had a wife and baby back in the states. Well boo hoo hoo! What a dope.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2022 3:32 AM

I'm sad that the Woolsey fire destroyed a good portion of the M*A*S*H set up in Malibu Creek. It was such a dead-ringer for South Korea.

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2022 6:29 AM

You mean the fire that they quickly incorporated into the finale? Or was there a later one? Maybe they could have kept it like the Universal Studios attraction.

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2022 8:28 AM

[quote] Mike Farrell was the worst actor

But he was the hottest in that cast of uggos.

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2022 11:52 AM

Farrell’s idea of ACTING was to quickly thumb pretend tears away.

by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2022 11:57 AM

Larry Linville committed career suicide after leaving MASH because of a long and bitter divorce battle. He turned down some very lucrative opportunities just so his wife wouldn't get half. even the way he left MASH was over the divorce--the producers offered him all kinds of money to come back for a farewell episode, but he turned them down cold so the bitch wouldn't get her cut.

by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2022 12:16 PM

Isn't Jamie Farr a Lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2022 4:06 PM

Which MASH character are you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2022 4:07 PM

I liked the episode where Hot Lips spilled her lousy cup of coffee on Klinger's dress and she had to barter with the only thing she had to get him a new one.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2022 5:36 PM

R87 - Wounded soldier from a very special episode: I'm "sensitive", miss mom, good looking and still unmarried.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2022 12:22 PM

Loretta Swit was on one of the best Muppet episodes.

The last episode of MASH was a huge ego stroke for Alan Alda. It’s unwatchable now. Hammy and dismissive of the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2022 10:12 PM

The big finale episode was mediocre. The only interesting plot line was Charles and the Korean musicians. It was the most genuinely moving part of the episode, Although I do admit the final scenes of the members of the 4077th all going their separate ways got to me. I just wish Henry and Radar could have been there.

by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2022 2:31 AM

[QUOTE] Loretta Swit was on one of the best Muppet episodes.

Oh honey, no. You're thinking of Miss Piggy.

by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2022 2:36 AM

I've met Alda on several occasions over the past 20 years and the man is a cunt. In person he looks like he's been embalmed.

I met Linville on 2 separate occasions and he couldn't have been nicer.

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2022 3:07 AM

R33 It didn't make sense--you're right. It was trying to express anti-Vietnam War sentiment but didn't have the guts to do that directly. It used the Korean War as a stand-in, and redirected what should have been anger at policymakers at clichéd military top brass and by-the-book types like Frank and the snob Charles. It was an incoherent mess.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2022 3:07 AM

Alan Alda and Mike Farrell raise a toast to the 50th anniversary of M*A*S*H*'s debut:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2022 12:50 AM

R17- She was such a FRAU on TNG and DS9.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2022 12:53 AM

M*A*S*H makes me sad because it takes me back to being a kid, watching it with my dad.

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2022 12:57 AM

R33: The early 1970s were still very old fashioned times. Not a question of “guts”. Network tv was always a decade or so behind the real world. The shows that broke through to their time, like the Dick Van Dyke Show or the Mary Tyler Moore show did not deal with real controversy (apart from thenVan Dyke show’s “that’s my boy” episode) and still MTM wasnt permitted to be divorced! Horrible, dated shows like Family Affair and Brady Bunch were very popular.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2022 1:16 AM

[quote]David Ogden Stiers was gay.

[quote]David Ogden Stiers was in a few Woody Allen movies.

I remember him best from his appearance on an episode of Frasier. His character was the late Mrs. Crane’s research assistant, he’s so much like Frasier & Niles that Roz & Martin wonder if he’s their real father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2022 1:26 AM

[quote]M*A*S*H makes me sad because it takes me back to being a kid, watching it with my dad.

Same here, R97. It reminds me of being a little kid and an adult watching it with him.

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2022 1:28 AM

Now this is cute...yes I'm in the right thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2022 1:40 AM

The timing doesn't work for that, r85. He was divorced in 1975 and didn't quit the show until late 1976. His episodes aired until 1977, and by then he was married again to someone he didn't divorce until 1982.

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2022 1:49 AM

I think that most of those actors' style and personalities were very much of their era, as well as their performances as dictated by their characters and the show, and so they became kind of permanently associated with and dated by the program's iconic status and success.

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2022 1:51 AM

Comments like r63's are why I love DL

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2022 1:54 AM

Fucking shave your heads, you fucking fossils.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2022 4:06 AM

[quote]The timing doesn't work for that, [R85]. He was divorced in 1975 and didn't quit the show until late 1976. His episodes aired until 1977, and by then he was married again to someone he didn't divorce until 1982.

I got that from Ken Levine's blog. He was a show runner and writer on MASH. As I recall he mentions it a few times over the years, but here's the latest::

"We wanted to bring Larry back for the first episode of season six to arrange Frank Burns’ departure and were even willing to pay him a lot of money. But Larry was going through a very bitter divorce and didn’t want his ex-wife to get half so he passed. True story."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2022 12:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!