Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Piggly Wiggly

I’m curious if this grocery store chain is similar or Hy-Vee or Kroger? We do not have PW in my area.

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2022 5:36 PM

And thank the goddess for that.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2022 1:11 AM

I thought it was extinct. They vanished from North Texas back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2022 1:18 AM

It's no Hinky Dinky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2022 1:26 AM

I don't know who had the pig first them or Loony Tunes but their mascot and Porky Pig look an awful lot alike.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2022 1:31 AM

R4, Piggly Wiggly's "Mr Pig" logo has been theirs since 1916; 'Porky' didn't appear at Warner Bros until 1935.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2022 1:38 AM

R5 The stores have been around since 1916 but I can't find the Mr. Pig signs until around the 40s on google.

One interesting thing to consider about Piggly Wiggly is if you know any rich people who vacation in or around Hilton Head, the more than likely shop at the Pig on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2022 1:49 AM

PW is known around here to have the best meat department staffed by real butchers.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2022 1:54 AM

We have two PWs here and they cater to their neighborhoods which is great. One of them is Puerto Rican focused and has the best deli and bakery. It's where I discovered Puerto Rican fried rice as opposed to Mexican fried rice. Full of ham and green olives; will probably kill me but I don't care. The other PW is closer to the white suburbs and is typical of any big local grocery (like Krogers). I agree with R7; both have real butchers who give good advice.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2022 2:14 AM

Piggly Wigglys are small, independently owned grocery stores with several locations still open in North Carolina, mostly in small towns and rural areas. As a poster above said, they're know for high quality meats. They tend to have a very Southern, old fashioned atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2022 3:14 AM

R9 here - I'm curious about the location of the Pigglys mentioned above by R8. Growing up, I always thought they were only in the NC/SC region.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2022 3:18 AM

Pigs are a thing in the Birmingham, Alabama area. Mountain Brook location is much loved by the locals

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2022 3:41 AM

👩‍🌾 Miss Daisy chopped at Piggly Wiggly.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2022 3:45 AM

R9 I'm in Wisconsin, suburbs near Milwaukee.

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2022 3:06 PM

R9 not true

There is a PW about 2 miles from where I am right now and it is a very large grocery store like Kroger.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2022 4:17 PM

Piggly Wiggly is a franchise, and all are independently-owned like IGA stores. Because of this they vary widely in size and quality, most serve rural or exurb communities. Alabama and Michigan have the most with a few sprinkled around in the states bordering both.

The last one in my area was in the old money part of town and was a beloved institution but not where anyone went for their staples. After it closed it was bought by a local old-money lady and turned into a popular restaurant and gift boutique.

by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2022 4:38 PM

Miss Daisy's favorite store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2022 4:49 PM

530 stores in 17 states. Y'all some lazy bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2022 4:53 PM

The Pig has items that I cannot get at both Kroger and Walmart.

For instance, PW's store brand chili is much better than Wolf brand.

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2022 4:57 PM

Fat whore grocery store

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2022 5:07 PM

I only shop at Food Circus.

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2022 5:24 PM

treat yo self

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 11, 2022 5:25 PM

For ignorant DLers who do not know Piggly Wiggly's illustrious history:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2022 5:30 PM

"They tend to have a very Southern, old fashioned atmosphere."

Does that mean they don't allow black people in?

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2022 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!