Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New movie "See How They Run"

Seems like a blatant ripoff of "Knives Out."

It does have ubertwink Harris Dickinson in it, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2022 9:15 AM

I was hoping someone had finally made an American-distributed of the old community theater staple by Philip King (is that the play within the film)? Everyone used to do it, but then no one did. It has all the farcical things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2022 7:54 PM

Anachronistic BAME casting noted.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2022 8:15 PM

“BAME”?

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2022 8:32 PM

I saw the movie tonight and want my money back!

After a promising set up of in the first 15 minutes, the film utterly falls apart in slow pacing, unfunny jokes, a convoluted and unbelievable plot, confusing flashbacks, some bizarrely miscast supporting roles (some of it due to woke sensibilities) and oh yeah, Sam Rockwell in the lead. Saoirse Ronan gives it her all but there's only so much she can do with awful material. Have the director and screenwriter never seen an Agatha Christie adaptation (which this film fails to parody)?

Saturday night and there were 2 other people in the theater besides me and the bf.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2022 3:58 AM

This seems like such a step down for Saoirse Ronan. Does she think this will be her Knives Out???

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2022 4:01 AM

An Awfully Big Adventure?

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2022 4:03 AM

Sucked...and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2022 4:06 AM

[quote] Anachronistic BAME casting noted.

What's "BAME", precious? What's "BAME"?

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2022 4:06 AM

The casting is so odd for what needs to be a strong ensemble cast of quirky character actors. There's Ronan, Rockwell (sleepwalking through it), Adrien Brody, David Oyewolo and Ruth Wilson (who looks bored to tears) but then most of the other important roles are filled in with undistinguished and unrecognizable British actors who are not up to it. Except for wonderful Shirley Henderson though she's miscast in a cameo as Agatha Christie at the end. Any episode of most British TV series have better casts than this.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2022 4:09 AM

Did Saoirse's fee eat up the budget for other names?

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2022 4:12 AM

Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic.

There were no "celebrated" male Black British playwrights in the UK in the 1950s. (The film refers to actual show business people active in 1953). Oyelowo is therefore "anachronistic BAME casting."

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2022 1:09 PM

Actually, Oyelowo is the least of the film's problems. His hair, makeup and costuming are so period-perfect, he's able to create a very believable character, a flamboyantly gay screenwriter, in spite of the color of his skin.

But then there are two other Black actors, a young woman who plays the mistress of the film producer (played by a dreary white actor I've never heard of) and an older husky man who plays Max Mallowan, husband of Agatha Christie, who bring NOTHING to their roles. But if they were white, I'd say the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2022 1:17 PM

More anachronistic BAME casting: Peal Chanda (South Asian) as real-life "English Rose" actress Sheila Sim (Mrs. Richard Attenborough).

But, then, Dickie A,. never looked as pretty as Harris Dickinson in 1953.

Audience is required to believe Agatha Christie was married to a Black man.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2022 1:27 PM

Pearl Chanda is of Indian and Italian descent, look at her, I don't think her casting is so egregious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2022 2:16 PM

^ but I still agree it's all silly

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2022 2:20 PM

I think casting a black man as Agatha Christie's husband is quite deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2022 2:59 PM

Casted.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2022 3:07 PM

Can anyone who saw this piece of shit tell me why Adrien Brody was killed?

PS: that's not really a spoiler as it happens in the first few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2022 6:38 PM

There's fun kitsch and annoying kitsch, and the trailer makes it pretty clear which kind this film is.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2022 6:43 PM

(In hushed tones)

You know Leslie Howard? The blond who played Ashley in Gone With The Wind?

Jewish.

You know Carol Channing?

She totally had Black ancestry. Merle Oberon? Boris Karloff? Indians from India.

This BAME thing has been going on for like FOREVER

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2022 6:44 PM

I'm about 33 min in and I'm ready to bail. This thing is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2022 10:38 PM

Pretty pointless movie with the stupidest reveal.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2022 11:03 PM

I enjoyed it very much.

[quote] who plays the mistress of the film producer (played by a dreary white actor I've never heard of)

You never heard of Reece Shearsmith, The League of Gentlemen? Ignorant twat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2022 7:11 AM

I loved this movie.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2022 9:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!