Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gays and Tennis Part 130 - US Open Week Two

We’re into the quarter finals now.

Kyrgios team or K. Hemsworth team?

Ons team or Tomlijanovic team?

Gauff team or Garcia team?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350September 9, 2022 5:29 PM

Kudos Tiafoe! Didn't get to comment yesterday. Nadal didn't play great, but Tiafoe still had to play well and keep it together mentally. Many players wouldn't take advantage of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2022 7:46 PM

Thanks for the new thread - and the Casper Eye Candy) -OP!

by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2022 7:54 PM

I'm definitely rooting for Tiafoe to make it to the final but Kyrgios is a formidable opponent. I'm not aware of any bad blood between them so the match would be good.

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2022 7:55 PM

Matteo is gone!

by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2022 8:01 PM

All the articles and interviews on Tiafoe...you would think he won the whole fucking thing already.

by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2022 8:01 PM

R5, any American player would be hyped through the roof under these circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2022 8:06 PM

Hopefully if Kyrgios wins he stays a one slam wonder. Complete prick that one.

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2022 8:14 PM

I'm picking Ons to win this whole thing

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2022 8:33 PM

I think Ons is a choker. She's inconsistent so I think she'll fall at some point.

by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2022 8:47 PM

ons must be so hot wearing all those layers. it's so muggy out there.

by Anonymousreply 10September 6, 2022 8:53 PM

At least she doesn’t have to wear a burka!

by Anonymousreply 11September 6, 2022 8:56 PM

R11 I was wondering about that - I know that Tunisia is quite a conservative country but Ons seems quite westernised.

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2022 8:58 PM

Ons is through!

by Anonymousreply 13September 6, 2022 9:00 PM

First woman from Africa to reach US open semi final!

by Anonymousreply 14September 6, 2022 9:02 PM

She’s not African African.

by Anonymousreply 15September 6, 2022 9:15 PM

Damn, she has terrible skin on her face!

by Anonymousreply 16September 6, 2022 9:16 PM

I am sure this has already been mentioned... WTF is Alexandra Stevenson wearing on ESPN? Did she miss the note about Disney Princess day being coordinated for another time? I haven't had the sound on, so if she explained this unbelievable outfit choice, forgive me.

by Anonymousreply 17September 6, 2022 9:25 PM

Worst dressed - Stevenson or Mattek-Sand?

by Anonymousreply 18September 6, 2022 9:26 PM

I think the Stevenson outfit easily takes the cake R18. Coincidentally, the dress sort of resembles a wedding cake.

by Anonymousreply 19September 6, 2022 9:30 PM

Casper is so dreamy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 6, 2022 9:54 PM

[quote] Worst dressed - Stevenson or Mattek-Sand?

Sands!

by Anonymousreply 21September 6, 2022 10:11 PM

[quote] Damn, she has terrible skin on her face!

Compared to us no.

by Anonymousreply 22September 6, 2022 10:11 PM

Stevenson might as well have shown up to work dressed like a circus clown today. That is how "elephant in the room" her outfit choice is (considering her job doesn't entail taking pictures with children at Disneyland).

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2022 10:13 PM

Why are all these commentators to outdo Johnny Wier? It's like when Natasha Liukin started dressing like she was going to prom for gymnastics commentary.

by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2022 10:40 PM

R12 actually Tunisia is 1 of the most liberal Muslim countries. Women there have far more rights. The government even banned the wearing of the hijab at work and school. The government is seen as more secular. So it's highly unlikely Ons wears one even when she's at home

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2022 10:48 PM

Berrettini was bad today shocking on his big forehand weapon. I never expected him to choke that third set lead. Ruud was solid but it's hard to see him winning over Kyrgios or Alcaraz. If he gets lucky and doesn't have to face them then yeah he could win the title

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2022 10:49 PM

Sands wears awful clothing that screams, "look at me!"

Reeks of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2022 11:00 PM

Both Sands and Stevenson should be fired for trying to make the show all about themselves. Neither bring any insight to the game or the players that anyone the even mildly follows the sport wouldn't know. They're just distracting and should be on some ridiculous Real Housewives shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2022 11:32 PM

I believe it was R28!

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2022 11:40 PM

Team Garcia all the way.

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2022 11:52 PM

yes, coco lost the first set. very happy.

by Anonymousreply 31September 7, 2022 12:08 AM

coco just smashed her racket

by Anonymousreply 32September 7, 2022 12:09 AM

Gauff has missed multiple shots when attempting passes that weren't that difficult. She just can't handle Garcia's hyper aggressive game.

by Anonymousreply 33September 7, 2022 12:37 AM

I do like Gauff.

I've just decided to be a low key fan.

by Anonymousreply 34September 7, 2022 12:46 AM

It would be cute to have Garfia and Garcia as singles champs in the same tournament. Kyrgios and/or Svee-i-tuk will probably prevent that from happening though.

by Anonymousreply 35September 7, 2022 12:53 AM

You all sound like a bunch of Westport, CT fraus complaining about Alexandra Stevenson’s and Bettanie Mattel-Sands’ outfits. Who cares what they wear? Both are smart and articulate enough to be commentating. They don’t need to dress like 55 year old Mary Joes and Pams.

by Anonymousreply 36September 7, 2022 12:55 AM

I was on the other thread wondering why no one had mentioned Stevenson’s dress. I’m pretty sure I gasped when I saw it 😂

by Anonymousreply 37September 7, 2022 1:04 AM

I think Stevenson's outfit is not great but it isn't all that bad compared to Sand's. Sand's outfits were not suitable for TV with kids watching. She was wearing super low cut tops, very revealing...even though she is flat like a pancake. At least Stevenson's neckline is decent and respectful.

by Anonymousreply 38September 7, 2022 1:06 AM

Stevenson's make up is very pretty. I don't mind her. I just cannot stand Sands, not one bit. everything about her offends me.

by Anonymousreply 39September 7, 2022 1:08 AM

this match is gonna be good!

by Anonymousreply 40September 7, 2022 1:16 AM

[quote] Sand’s

Sands’!

by Anonymousreply 41September 7, 2022 1:28 AM

what's wrong with Nick's leg? he was pressing the knee area.

by Anonymousreply 42September 7, 2022 1:36 AM

Why did Nike put all the men in pinafores and these square neckline shirts with cap sleeves? They look like something an athletic female Mayflower passenger with access to synthetic fabrics would’ve worn.

by Anonymousreply 43September 7, 2022 1:49 AM

R42, the trouble isn’t with his knee. It’s his old aversion to success kicking in.

by Anonymousreply 44September 7, 2022 1:56 AM

the trainer is out rubbing his leg. I think it's over for Nick.

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2022 1:59 AM

calf strain?

by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2022 1:59 AM

K. Hemsworth team

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2022 2:00 AM

hoping Coco can win a slam next year. She's very talented and good head on her shoulders. Garcia was too good today and Coco couldn't lift her own level to match it

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2022 2:00 AM

He's probably happy with $455,000.

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2022 2:00 AM

what was Nick talking about? I didn't hear all of it? he doesn't want to play anymore?

by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2022 2:04 AM

I can’t stand Stevenson …horrible voice

by Anonymousreply 51September 7, 2022 2:06 AM

I think Coco is talented and seems like a great kid, but let's quit pretending that she's some kind of preternatural talent. She's far from the best teen the WTA has seen.

by Anonymousreply 52September 7, 2022 2:20 AM

[quote] Why did Nike put all the men in pinafores and these square neckline shirts with cap sleeves? They look like something an athletic female Mayflower passenger with access to synthetic fabrics would’ve worn.

The nice thing about them is that they show off more of K. Hemsworth's chest.

by Anonymousreply 53September 7, 2022 3:03 AM

Matteo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 7, 2022 3:22 AM

K. Hemsworth two sets to one.

by Anonymousreply 55September 7, 2022 3:24 AM

Damn, Khachanov is 6ft6? These guys are so tall.

by Anonymousreply 56September 7, 2022 3:49 AM

Team Karen, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 57September 7, 2022 3:58 AM

Fifth set!!!

by Anonymousreply 58September 7, 2022 4:15 AM

At least Khachanov is tiring him out, so if Kyrgios wins tonight hopefully Ruud will at least face a tired Kyrgios

by Anonymousreply 59September 7, 2022 4:17 AM

ESPN says Serena Williams' loss on Friday night was the most-watched tennis match in the history of the network with 4.8 million viewers. Previous high was 3.9 million for Roger Federer's Wimbledon win in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 60September 7, 2022 4:18 AM

Berrerttini looks absolutely Levantine at r54. He’d do himself well with shorter hair and a daily SPF regime.

by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2022 4:39 AM

Khachanov looks like he just put on his barista apron for a shift at Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 62September 7, 2022 4:49 AM

Would you like extra shot of espresso with pumpkin spice latte?

by Anonymousreply 63September 7, 2022 4:53 AM

The Nike men's clothes for the USO are generally terrible. Tiafoe pulled off the same shirt much better, but it still didn't look great.

by Anonymousreply 64September 7, 2022 4:54 AM

[quote] Berrerttini looks absolutely Levantine at R54.

Little known fact: Matteo was not only in New York for the US Open but also to audition for a revival of Jesus Christ Superstar in the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 65September 7, 2022 4:55 AM

K. Hemsworth defeats Kyrgios.

by Anonymousreply 66September 7, 2022 5:00 AM

Nick K played too much tennis. he played doubles yesterday and lost. spreading himself too thin.

by Anonymousreply 67September 7, 2022 5:01 AM

Bit of shirtless K. Hemsworth post match.

by Anonymousreply 68September 7, 2022 5:02 AM

yeah, Nike had better tennis clothing last year...

At least Karen's wife looks wholesome and sweet. Not the bimbo type. makes me like him more.

by Anonymousreply 69September 7, 2022 5:03 AM

Who y'all got now? I think the winner of Alcaraz vs Sinner takes the title

by Anonymousreply 70September 7, 2022 5:05 AM

Honestly the results for the mens tournament is for once more unpredictable than the women which is a kinda nice and weird switch up.

by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2022 5:07 AM

Rublev team or Tiafoe team?

Il Gingio team or Alcaraz (Garfia) team?

by Anonymousreply 72September 7, 2022 5:08 AM

ova, Plisk/Pliskbot team or Sabalenka team?

Svee-i-tek team or Pegula team?

by Anonymousreply 73September 7, 2022 5:10 AM

Tiafoe team

Alcaraz team.

Though I can see my hopes being dashed in both instances. I have an intense dislike for Sinner based on nothing tangible. He seems like a perfectly good guy. I do like Rublev but would rather see Tiafoe win.

by Anonymousreply 74September 7, 2022 5:11 AM

Sabalenka team

And billionaire heiress team. She's boring as hell but I don't like pan-faced Swiatek.

by Anonymousreply 75September 7, 2022 5:12 AM

So happy the abusive thug is out! Thank you Karen for taking out the trash.

by Anonymousreply 76September 7, 2022 5:15 AM

I'm loving how crazy the men's field is this year. Hope the trend continues for a while. Even better that Nadal was beaten

Khachanov really stalled after winning Paris Masters a few years ago over Djokovic. It seemed like he could be the one to enter the top echelon but instead he fell back and Medvedev as well as Rublev passed him in the rankings. There was no indication before this tournament that he was in the kind of form to reach the SF but he did play well tonight

I agree doubles likely cost Kyrgios but he still didn't play horribly

by Anonymousreply 77September 7, 2022 5:16 AM

How does Kyrgios have any fans? He's an abusive asshole. He has a horrible on court behavior and people actually cheer him on! Not only him, but his behavior. WTF?! What happened to tennis being a gentleman sport? Kyrgios is ruining tennis. I'm happy for everyone taking this trash out, even Russians. I always root against thugs like him.

by Anonymousreply 78September 7, 2022 5:20 AM

Ruud and Alcaraz have a chance to be #1. They must reach the final to do so.

if this men's draw continues to surprise, it's entirely possible Ruud or Alcaraz could lose the final to 1 of the other guys left but walk out as the new #1, being the second men's player after Marcelo Rios to be a slamless #1

by Anonymousreply 79September 7, 2022 5:21 AM

I wanted Nick to win, but found his antics tiresome early in the match. The constant negativity and anger directed at his "box" probably costs him more than he thinks, losing focus, expending mental and emotional energy best focused on winning points, etc. They (his team) have nothing to do with the mistakes made on court, and he needs to reign that in a lot. Reminds me of Andy Murray, who I also dislike for that behavior.

by Anonymousreply 80September 7, 2022 5:24 AM

Ruud vs Alcaraz would be an exciting final with a 1st slam and #1 both on the line.

by Anonymousreply 81September 7, 2022 5:25 AM

[quote] How does Kyrgios have any fans? He's an abusive asshole. He has a horrible on court behavior and people actually cheer him on! Not only him, but his behavior.

I suspect many of his fans are Americans and Australians who appreciate that sort of belligerent, trashy and rude behavior. Perhaps many of his American fans are Trumpsters who would not otherwise root for a tennis player.

by Anonymousreply 82September 7, 2022 5:26 AM

I want K. Hemsworth to win the whole thing just for shits and giggles.

Garcia for women although I wouldn't mind Swiatek.

by Anonymousreply 83September 7, 2022 5:40 AM

[Quote] How does Kyrgios have any fans? He's an abusive asshole. He has a horrible on court behavior and people actually cheer him on! Not only him, but his behavior.

Because MOST Americans ARE ASSHOLES!!!!! Look who they showed on camera most of the match. 20-30something straight mem. ASSHOLES who love Kyrgios because he acts like them.

I love when Khachanov said, " Oh now you're showing me love" in his interview at the end with the crowd. He was correct!

I'm thrilled Kyrgios/asshole lost!

by Anonymousreply 84September 7, 2022 5:41 AM

^ * straight men

by Anonymousreply 85September 7, 2022 5:41 AM

I'm just relieved we're guaranteed a non-fucking asshole winner this year - no Kyrgios, no NoVaxxx, no Zverev, no Citybus!

by Anonymousreply 86September 7, 2022 5:42 AM

[quote] ^ * straight men

Straight me.

by Anonymousreply 87September 7, 2022 5:47 AM

^ Hello David.

by Anonymousreply 88September 7, 2022 5:48 AM

R84 you do realize he's popular around the world, right? It's not "just Americans". The Aussies treat him as a hero. He was quite popular at Wimbledon this year. People love a shotmaker which he is. He does get booed when he starts having crazy tantrums but he's forgiven when he hits an amazing shot. He gets way more love than fellow asshole Djokovic who is an amazing athlete but with a pretty bland, monotonous game

by Anonymousreply 89September 7, 2022 5:59 AM

r89, the US Open in the US. Americans outnumber most there. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 90September 7, 2022 6:01 AM

R90 so you're ignoring his popularity at other tournaments around the world? OK...

by Anonymousreply 91September 7, 2022 6:03 AM

Tiafoe has a twin brother!

by Anonymousreply 92September 7, 2022 6:05 AM

[quote] Tiafoe has a twin brother!

So does Liam Hemsworth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 7, 2022 6:06 AM

Nick certainly ain't popular in Europe outside the UK. Too grand and too lazy to put in any hard work on clay.

by Anonymousreply 94September 7, 2022 7:28 AM

Just seen that Nick and K Hemsworth had a Twitter spat a couple of years ago which ended with Nick calling K Hemsworth an 'absolute pelican'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 7, 2022 7:38 AM

I just placed a small bet on Sinner. Good odds and I know Alcaraz struggles with him. He's his cryptonite. I don't see him winning this as Sinner is got into his head.

by Anonymousreply 96September 7, 2022 7:56 AM

Il Gingio Team

Big Foe Team (even though I like Rublev)

by Anonymousreply 97September 7, 2022 10:50 AM

R76, yeah, all that water bottle and racket smashing was not a good look for someone facing a domestic abuse charge.

by Anonymousreply 98September 7, 2022 11:34 AM

If Kyrgios is popular at Wimbledon (how do you even measure this?), it's because the Aussies in London turn up for hi matches.

by Anonymousreply 99September 7, 2022 12:02 PM

Nick's mother is terminally ill, back in Australia. I think he wants to be there, understandably.

The Coco hype has to stop. She needs to start winning minor tournaments to show she handle that pressure, before she can be expected to win Slams, no matter what Mary Joe tells everyone. I hate the attitude of her parents when she's losing. They look miserable and totally unsupportive of her.

by Anonymousreply 100September 7, 2022 12:18 PM

Coco's breakdown after losing Roland Garros, crying about how she let everyone down was pretty telling. Her parents seem to put a lot of pressure on her, not to mention all of her sponsors. It's a lot for a kid to handle. And yeah, she needs to stop being hyped to high heaven and just let her play and improve her game.

by Anonymousreply 101September 7, 2022 1:02 PM

I'm really thrilled Nick lost, I just detest him. KK seemed annoyed with the crowd afterwards, which gave me a laugh.

So it's Alcaraz's for the taking, I think, but don't underestimate Ruud, who is such a professional. Great, powerful game, though not flashy. Just a total pro. Very nice, sweet guy. Has won a ton of tournaments, though never above a 250! Amazing. Finals of RG, I bet finals of US Open. With everything happening in the game, that would deserve #1 to me--and certainly if he wins it.

If Thiem can win it, Ruud can win it, too. But my pick is Alcaraz. A changing of the guard. (Though eras overlap.)

by Anonymousreply 102September 7, 2022 1:13 PM

AWESOME! The 4 players I DID NOT want to win the tournament have all lost! I'M 4 for 4!.... krygios, nadal, serena and coco!...

#1: coco, enough already as others have stated, "chris mckendry "thank God for coco!' WTF? others "she'll be the successor to serena not just in the future, but at this tournament"! really? REALLY?... NOT A SINGLE tennis "commentator" on ESPN seemingly have no knowledge of tennis history or facts! Do they seemingly have selective amnesia not remember the bucket load of REAL ACTUAL tennis teenage champions?! And no, I don't want to hear the whole but competition today has more depth, it's tougher, blah, blah, blah...

#2: nadal? funny how his chronic foot injury that he never knows when it's going to flare up wasn't used as a excuse for his loss? funny how he never knows when it's going to "flair up" but yet it seemingly never does during a 2 week grand slam tournament? Interesting. So is he going to go home to his wife now?

#3: serena, enough said, No more commercials of the female martin luther king with harriet tubman! YOU KNOW DAMN WELL everyone on ESPN is hating hating that she is gone! Who are they going to talk about and kiss ass? The ratings, the ratings are down!! No doubt, they'll now focus on Tiafoe and maybe Alcaraz because he's young and the chance for number #1. On the women's side, I don't think they'll be focusing on anyone in particular, maybe a american like pegula...

#4: krygios, as others have posted, WHAT KIND OF PERSONS/PEOPLE would cheer for that sociopath 5 year old asshole incarnate?!!...

Scanning the crowd and people literally standing up cheering for him!??!! And no, I DO NOT buy that whole "their cheering for his talent" deflection! B.S.! Never mind, who he is and how he conducts himself on a court in front of thousands and millions around the world on TV is suppose to be more important that cheering his "talent"! Of course, half the crowd if not more at the Open at late night matches are drunk as well!...AND well not trying to get to political, this is a country where 74 million people voted for a former president who made fun of the handicapped! in public! at a rally! and seemingly did and do not care!....

I'm wondering in regards to that thing that is krygios, whatever happened to penalties for "audible obscenity'?? krygios was constantly using the "F" word screaming it on court last night! What the umpire didn't hear him over the crowd?

by Anonymousreply 103September 7, 2022 1:26 PM

It was disgusting that the crowd was so supportive of Krygios over Khachanov. I love nighttime tennis at the Open but hate the assholes who attend. I'm hoping many of them had their evenings ruined as well.

by Anonymousreply 104September 7, 2022 1:32 PM

R104.. I hear you, I hear you.. It actually turns me off of the sport of tennis (my favorite sport) and makes me want to NEVER attend in person the u.s. open.

by Anonymousreply 105September 7, 2022 1:39 PM

I dont care most of the time if a player smashes their racket in frustration when competing. But what a sore fucking loser Kyrgios is to smash two on court right after shaking hands with Khachanov.

by Anonymousreply 106September 7, 2022 1:40 PM

R106 yep, smashing one racket in the very heat of the moment is one thing, but this was totally pre-meditated. You don't finish the point, shake hands at the net and THEN suddenly feel the need to smash.

Totally upstaged Karen's moment. Kyrgios is a fucking tool.

by Anonymousreply 107September 7, 2022 1:44 PM

R106... did you miss the constant use of the "F" word shouted out and on tv and the smashing of the water/juice bottles on the changeover with the liquid spraying on the ball kids nearby and his hitting the courtside camera on a changeover as well?

he's a mentally ill spoiled p.o.s.! end of story!...

by Anonymousreply 108September 7, 2022 1:45 PM

I DARE I DARE ESPN and the TENNIS CHANNEL to have a "call in show"!.... Cowards...

by Anonymousreply 109September 7, 2022 1:49 PM

Is Sock doubles specialist?

by Anonymousreply 110September 7, 2022 2:13 PM

“I can’t walk,” Kyrgios said as he called for a trainer. “I can’t walk without pain, it’s too much.”

After the match, Kyrgios somewhat downplayed the injury.

“Just knee sore,” he said. Obviously I’ve been playing a lot of tennis the last couple months. … I just split-stepped and just tweaked it a little bit. Ended up feeling fine. I got some deep heat on it. Everyone is carrying a bit of a niggle right now. Nothing major.”

The trainer rubbed cream on his calf, massaged extensively just under his knee and Kyrgios returned for the second set. During his first service game, however, Kyrgios turned to his box and expressed with some strong expletives that he didn’t want to play through the injury.

by Anonymousreply 111September 7, 2022 3:22 PM

“I honestly feel like s–t,” Kyrgios said after the match. “I feel like I’ve let so many people down.”

by Anonymousreply 112September 7, 2022 3:23 PM

“I’m obviously devastated,” Kyrgios said. “But all credit to Karen. He’s a fighter. He’s a warrior. I thought he served really good today. Honestly probably the best server I played this tournament, to be honest, the way he was hitting his spots under pressure.”

The fourth set proved to be the most compelling as it saw ups and downs from both players. Kyrgios double-faulted on the last point of the sixth game to let Khachanov tie it up 3-3, but he also slammed an ace in the last point of the eighth game to even the set 4-4. Despite minimizing his mistakes for most of the match, Khachanov fell behind 3-0 after dropping a 25-shot rally and was largely underwhelming in the tiebreak.

Khachanov simply played a tighter game, committing just 31 unforced errors in comparison to Kyrgios’ egregious 58. He also converted on four of eight break points, while Kyrgios secured two of nine.

“He just played the big points well,” Kyrgios said. “Really wasn’t anything in it. I’m just devastated obviously. Just feel like it was either winning it all or nothing at all, to be honest. I feel like I’ve just failed at this event right now. That’s what it feels like.”

by Anonymousreply 113September 7, 2022 3:24 PM

Kyrgios has this idea that saying nice things about opponents afterwards makes up for being a massive wanker during the match. I don't like Tsitsipas, but felt he was right to call this out, so Kyrgios went straight back into bully mode.

by Anonymousreply 114September 7, 2022 3:28 PM

He's right. He has failed.

This was a great opportunity for him - no NoVaxxx, dispatched Medvedev - but his inability to stay focussed, his lack of fitness, and his arrogant belief that he's 'special' and so the normal rules of graft don't apply to him mean that, yet again, he fails to push it over the line.

Until he makes real meaningful changes between his ears and in his attitude, the result's probably not going to change.

by Anonymousreply 115September 7, 2022 3:29 PM

Hopefully he decides he is never going to win so he should go ahead and retire. Immediately.

by Anonymousreply 116September 7, 2022 4:21 PM

The She-Hulk's on the rampage in the first set against the Pliskbot.

by Anonymousreply 117September 7, 2022 4:37 PM

If she doesn't choke like she did in last year's SF against Leylah, I can see her easily rolling over Swiatek too. Swiatek's game is suited for clay and she hasn't faced any tough players yet. The tantalising test would be against an impressive Garcia in the final.

by Anonymousreply 118September 7, 2022 4:40 PM

[Quote] so you're ignoring his popularity at other tournaments around the world? OK

Yes. We are talking about the US Open here, hun. It's in the the thread title. Keep up, dear. Sheeeeeesh!

by Anonymousreply 119September 7, 2022 5:06 PM

Foe-rocious Team or Rub-ber Duckie Team?

by Anonymousreply 120September 7, 2022 5:53 PM

Rafa Slayer about to be back!

by Anonymousreply 121September 7, 2022 5:57 PM

Unreal how immature Nick is. Like an 8-year old boy, truly.

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2022 6:07 PM

He's ridiculous. The water bottle tantrum yesterday was appalling. Especially since the balls kids had to clean it up. He's a fucking pig.

by Anonymousreply 123September 7, 2022 6:09 PM

Sabalanka looked the best I’ve seen her in a long time. She’s often struggling with her serve and nerves generally and if she wins it’s by the west of her pants.

But she was really hitting well.

by Anonymousreply 124September 7, 2022 6:11 PM

Sadly I think Rublev will win but I hope Tiafoe does. Russians should be banned from tennis tournaments because of Putin's war in Ukraine. This is why I always root for Russian opponens. Also, would be nice with a deep run here after beating Nadal.

by Anonymousreply 125September 7, 2022 6:20 PM

I hope tiafoe loses. I cannot stand all the nauseating articles and verbal diarrhea about him.

by Anonymousreply 126September 7, 2022 6:54 PM

I love how tennis is “punishing” Russia and Belarus but not listing their players’ countries of origin.

I mean, we all know the deal. Just because it’s not listed on a graphic doesn’t change anything.

by Anonymousreply 127September 7, 2022 6:55 PM

I’ve never posted in one of these tennis threads, why is it grayed out?

I had the open on in the background yesterday, watching the women commentators. Pam Shriver was wearing the most awful sort of Kmart type top, her hair was a mess, no effort to look nice for the camera whatsoever. But wait, holy shit, she was married to George Lazenby? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 128September 7, 2022 7:01 PM

Partner walked into the room yesterday and couldn’t believe what Pam was wearing.

Hey, just realized whom we haven’t seen at the open this year: Alec Baldwin!

by Anonymousreply 129September 7, 2022 7:03 PM

Frances takes set one!

by Anonymousreply 130September 7, 2022 7:04 PM

Tiafoe takes a close first set

by Anonymousreply 131September 7, 2022 7:05 PM

I think the tennis threads get grayed out because people keep F&Fing them. I don't get why, it's only 1 at a time (not like multiple Royal Family threads) and if you're not interested, scroll past.

by Anonymousreply 132September 7, 2022 7:06 PM

Tiafoe is looking solid. Literally any of the guys left could win this. When was the last time a mens tournament was like that? When Thiem won the US Open?

by Anonymousreply 133September 7, 2022 7:07 PM

R132 these tennis threads are a relative oasis of reasonableness and calm on DL. Very little trolling and mostly respectful disagreements.

It's weird that someone clearly has some sort of irrational phobia about them, or tennis in general. Then again, this is DL, so probably to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 134September 7, 2022 7:14 PM

You really think Karen can win? I don’t. But the rest… yeah.

by Anonymousreply 135September 7, 2022 7:15 PM

Tiafoe now has Serena’s high-powered agent. Guy is about the make some bank. And good for him.

by Anonymousreply 136September 7, 2022 7:17 PM

R125 . You know shit about "war" in Ukraine. That "war" has started in 2014 with massacre In odessa made by Ukrainian nationalists from Kijow. That is a fact. Second fact is you simply don't know WHO lives in EAST Ukraine, where "the war" takes place. I will tell you: RUSSIANS, not ukrainians.

by Anonymousreply 137September 7, 2022 7:17 PM

R134 The crazy Pole aside ^^^ Haha.

by Anonymousreply 138September 7, 2022 7:18 PM

R138 stupid american wont tell me who is crazy, you dont know anything about geopolitics here, in eastern europe, stick with your hamburgers and Trump.. Now people there can live in peace.

by Anonymousreply 139September 7, 2022 7:22 PM

This is a thread about tennis. NOT war.

by Anonymousreply 140September 7, 2022 7:26 PM

You're not going to sway anyone here with your incoherent rambling and poor grasp of English, R139. And citing Russian ally Trump isn't helping your cause.

Back to tennis, I'm rooting for Tiafoe to take it all, otherwise Alcaraz or Ruud.

by Anonymousreply 141September 7, 2022 7:29 PM

R140 Blame R125 and his/her brainwashed posts about putin's war in ukriane and russians should be banned because of it. They shouldn't

by Anonymousreply 142September 7, 2022 7:29 PM

R141 english has nothing to do with it, stop harrasing people becaause of language, racist. You wanna lecture me when you dont know nothing about war in ukraine? Stop repeating after trash media

by Anonymousreply 143September 7, 2022 7:31 PM

I like how Iga keeps wearing her Ukraine flag ribbon on her cap and has been holding fundraisers. Poor Pole having to live in a country that's officially and in practice v. supportive of Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 144September 7, 2022 7:31 PM

I hope Tiafoe loses. I hate his over the top antics. You haven't cured cancer. You hit a ball fast. It's the same with basketballs players and their bullshit after every point. And that goes for any tennis player.

by Anonymousreply 145September 7, 2022 7:31 PM

R144 People dont support ukraine, they stopped many months ago. We are sick of them. Goverment does and trashy president Duda with ukrainian heritage. And Iga is Jew.

by Anonymousreply 146September 7, 2022 7:33 PM

I don't like it either but let him expand and waste his energy doing all that shit.

by Anonymousreply 147September 7, 2022 7:33 PM

R143, I wouldn't be posting on threads unless I was proficient enough in the respective language. That's all. If your aim is to alienate people because you can't debate coherently, then congratulations!

by Anonymousreply 148September 7, 2022 7:35 PM

Will you all shut up about the war and focus on tennis?

by Anonymousreply 149September 7, 2022 7:36 PM

R148 I don't care what you would do or not.

by Anonymousreply 150September 7, 2022 7:37 PM

Congratulations on once again either completely missing or intentionally ignoring the point, R150.

by Anonymousreply 151September 7, 2022 7:38 PM

Rublev also has hairy blonde legs.

by Anonymousreply 152September 7, 2022 7:40 PM

R134 here. Fuck, I've cursed the tennis threads. I say it's sane and calm here and all hell immediately breaks loose...

by Anonymousreply 153September 7, 2022 7:41 PM

It’s eerie how quiet matches are when neither player grunts much.

by Anonymousreply 154September 7, 2022 7:43 PM

R151 I didn't ignore anything. Shut up ,watch CNN and believe in every shit you hear.

by Anonymousreply 155September 7, 2022 7:44 PM

Tiafoe is playing an insanely good second set tiebreak

by Anonymousreply 156September 7, 2022 7:51 PM

FOE IS ON FI-YAH!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 157September 7, 2022 7:52 PM

Rublev seems to be expending much more energy in his meltdown tantrums than does Tiafoe in his celebration of his winners.

by Anonymousreply 158September 7, 2022 7:52 PM

USA! USA! USA!

Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 159September 7, 2022 7:56 PM

yeah Frances! 2 sets 1 more to go

fuck his haters. Yes he likes to celebrate and engage the crowd. Oh well

some of you prisspots are stuck in the 1950s country club bullshit era

I also don't get hating a player due to hype that isn't his/her fault. Nadal, Sharapova, Roddick all got massive hype when they debuted on tour and it continued. Obviously Nadal wound up being the most winningest male slam player but Sharapova and Roddick are far lower on the list for HoF players

by Anonymousreply 160September 7, 2022 7:58 PM

I like Rublev but don't want any Russians or Belarussians to win the title. Putin will only brag about it

by Anonymousreply 161September 7, 2022 7:59 PM

R161 no more than you

by Anonymousreply 162September 7, 2022 8:01 PM

I'm cool with Tiafoe's exuberance - it can be over the top but it's good natured and I think its benign - he's whipping up the crowd for him, rather than against his opponent. There's none of NoVaxxx's megalomaniac 'psycho' edge to it.

by Anonymousreply 163September 7, 2022 8:03 PM

hoping Alcaraz/Sinner goes 5 sets

by Anonymousreply 164September 7, 2022 8:04 PM

loved that we've seen ripped Tiafoe shirtless

1 of the best bodies on tour

by Anonymousreply 165September 7, 2022 8:05 PM

R164 it probably will

by Anonymousreply 166September 7, 2022 8:07 PM

Just me, but I see a difference between favorites who celebrate every point and whip up the crowd different than when underdogs do it.

by Anonymousreply 167September 7, 2022 8:09 PM

Gilbert's yapping gets exhausting through the course of a match.

by Anonymousreply 168September 7, 2022 8:10 PM

I didn't see Tiafoe as the fav of this match coming in. Thought it was 50-50

by Anonymousreply 169September 7, 2022 8:11 PM

Rublev's serve can go off and he doesn't move as well. He also doesn't handle variety well.

if Tiafoe just wanted to bash in the center of the court, he'd lose. He's moving Rublev and giving him different looks at the ball

Rublev is the best ball basher on the men's tour but he's limited in his strengths

by Anonymousreply 170September 7, 2022 8:16 PM

I'm with Tiafoe all the way, he gives me good vibes.

by Anonymousreply 171September 7, 2022 8:17 PM

Tiafoe is.. aggressively warm.

by Anonymousreply 172September 7, 2022 8:26 PM

Coric teasing his physio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 7, 2022 8:29 PM

Is Coric straight? I'm having doubts now.

by Anonymousreply 174September 7, 2022 8:30 PM

aww poor Rublev is crying. I like him but want Tiafoe to win.

Rublev is our emo Russian. Not the stereotypical stoic Soviet type

by Anonymousreply 175September 7, 2022 8:31 PM

I'm having doubts Donna is straight.

by Anonymousreply 176September 7, 2022 8:33 PM

I’m curious why Tiafoe’s African parents named him Frances, and why they chose the feminine spelling. Aren’t males normally called ‘Francis’ and ‘Frances’ is used for females?

by Anonymousreply 177September 7, 2022 8:35 PM

The New York crowd loves being part of the action. So whether it’s Leland, Frances, Serena or whomever is inviting them in, they respond and love it.

by Anonymousreply 178September 7, 2022 8:36 PM

Rublev's emo is borderline Van Gogh.

by Anonymousreply 179September 7, 2022 8:37 PM

The AO and RG crowds are very loud when their home players are playing too

Wimbledon has gotten very loud too when a Brit is in action

by Anonymousreply 180September 7, 2022 8:37 PM

R96 Why people keep saying that, their h2h is 2-1 (2-2 if we count their challenger match) and Alcaraz won sets in everyone of the matches. It's not like Sinner is dominating clearly and he has a tendency to choke of GS.

I think it will be a close match, and probably the winner will win it all

by Anonymousreply 181September 7, 2022 8:38 PM

R176 Donna is super duper straight. If you have gaydar, that is.

by Anonymousreply 182September 7, 2022 8:42 PM

Also Alcaraz won the only hardcourt encounter with Sinner in straight sets (Paris Masters 1000 2021, 7-6, 7-5).

by Anonymousreply 183September 7, 2022 8:43 PM

Russian lost.

by Anonymousreply 184September 7, 2022 8:43 PM

Frances is going to make lots from endorsements. His success this week plus Serena’s power agent in his corner… his life is likely to change.

by Anonymousreply 185September 7, 2022 8:55 PM

Rublev came out against the Ukraine invasion before ANY other player.

by Anonymousreply 186September 7, 2022 8:58 PM

I'm watching some wheelchair tennis now. I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on DL.

by Anonymousreply 187September 7, 2022 9:03 PM

Yea, rublev seems like a really decent guy.

by Anonymousreply 188September 7, 2022 9:06 PM

Luvs me sum Rublev. Do we think he's one of us gurls?

by Anonymousreply 189September 7, 2022 9:07 PM

No, he doesn't ping to me.

by Anonymousreply 190September 7, 2022 9:09 PM

Rublev seems like a nerdy straight guy to me. A nice dude but... no, definitely not gay.

by Anonymousreply 191September 7, 2022 9:11 PM

More like one of us churls.

by Anonymousreply 192September 7, 2022 9:11 PM

Rublev likes music and is learning to play the guitar.

by Anonymousreply 193September 7, 2022 9:34 PM

Rublev looks like a young Don Imus.

by Anonymousreply 194September 7, 2022 9:39 PM

ginge pageboy

by Anonymousreply 195September 7, 2022 9:41 PM

I always thought he favored Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth, but it could just be the red hair at that length.

by Anonymousreply 196September 7, 2022 9:42 PM

I'm really impressed Tiafoe didn't have a letdown after the Nadal win - it happens a lot when underdogs get a big win like that. He stayed focused and composed and put together a surprisingly workmanlike performance.

I like Rublev a lot, but was rooting for Tiafoe.

by Anonymousreply 197September 7, 2022 9:44 PM

I love both these guys, so happy for Foe and so sad for Rublev, who seems like a sensitive sweetheart. He's like 0-6 in Slam QFs, jesus. That's gotta weigh on you.

An Alcaraz - Ruud final would be really cool.

by Anonymousreply 198September 7, 2022 10:15 PM

I think it's fascinating that no one in QFs and as a result in the SFs has won a Slam. When's the last time the SFs of a men's major had no major champions - 20 years? Even longer for none in the QFs. They must be going crazy trying to temper expectations and stay in the moment as not to get to too stressed. But, they ALL must realize that they may never have a better chance to win a Slam.

by Anonymousreply 199September 7, 2022 11:09 PM

Rublev looked pissed off during the match. Tiafoe! Tiafoe! Tiafoe!

by Anonymousreply 200September 7, 2022 11:10 PM

Prissy Missy Cliffy Drystale needs to not be calling matches anymore.

by Anonymousreply 201September 7, 2022 11:19 PM

R200, Rublev seems to be going through a rough time.

by Anonymousreply 202September 7, 2022 11:20 PM

"Rublev looked pissed off during the match. Tiafoe! Tiafoe! Tiafoe! "

US Open crowd can be a boon or a curse. Aussie and French crowds can be the same way, and even Wimbledon now. Not saying it makes it any easier, but he had to have known going in that it was gonna be like that.

by Anonymousreply 203September 7, 2022 11:24 PM

[quote] I'm watching some wheelchair tennis now. I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on DL.

It’s been discussed In years past, but typically it involves DLers making fun of the wheelchair athletes.

by Anonymousreply 204September 8, 2022 12:08 AM

Well. Today I have lifted my mourning veil and have come to terms with Rafa's loss. I feel that I now have the strength to turn the tv back on and watch the remaining matches. Rejoin the living, so to speak. Pleased to hear that Kyrgios has been shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 205September 8, 2022 12:21 AM

There's always something slightly "nervy" about Pegula. She's done a fantastic job rising up the ranks and getting to this point, but can she take that next step?

by Anonymousreply 206September 8, 2022 12:32 AM

R205 He lost to a worthy opponent which should lessen the sting.

by Anonymousreply 207September 8, 2022 12:42 AM

R206... because she has no real weapons, she needs at least one great finishing shot...

by Anonymousreply 208September 8, 2022 12:45 AM

Pegula is sponsored by Adidas. I always feel that they're great at getting the 'good but not great' players.

by Anonymousreply 209September 8, 2022 12:49 AM

I like Rublev a lot, but this was thrilling for Tiafoe.

by Anonymousreply 210September 8, 2022 12:51 AM

"Pegula is sponsored by Adidas. I always feel that they're great at getting the 'good but not great' players."

Maybe lately, but historically they've had their fair share of champions.

by Anonymousreply 211September 8, 2022 12:52 AM

R211 One-off champions?

by Anonymousreply 212September 8, 2022 1:01 AM

I meant, "maybe not lately."

Historically - Edberg, Lendl, Graf, Hingis, Safin to name a few. I guess Muguruza is a current player with multiple Slams. But, not many champions lately.

by Anonymousreply 213September 8, 2022 1:10 AM

Ah, that's before my time. I guess I'm thinking of the last 20-30 years.

by Anonymousreply 214September 8, 2022 1:13 AM

Everyone I named except maybe Lendl falls within the past 30 years. Lendl's last Slam was 199. Edberg's last Slam came 30 years ago at the US Open in 1992 - though he made more finals after that. Graf's Slams - many are less than 30 years old, many are older (she's got a lot). Safin and Hingis are comfortably within 30 years or less.

by Anonymousreply 215September 8, 2022 1:17 AM

Lendl's last Slam was 1991.

by Anonymousreply 216September 8, 2022 1:18 AM

I still associate Adidas with getting 'good not great players'. They got Murray but he was dwarfed by Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. They go for some attractive players but not so much the top players. Swiatek is playing in Adidas and she has two slams. Barty played in Fila. Djokovic is in Lacoste.

by Anonymousreply 217September 8, 2022 1:25 AM

*Asics

by Anonymousreply 218September 8, 2022 1:25 AM

Swiatek doesn't look that good. Both her and Pegula served terribly. The other 3 women have better serves(Sabalenka has the biggest serve when it lands) and return just as well as Swiatek.

by Anonymousreply 219September 8, 2022 1:26 AM

R217, Nike has a lot more $$$ to spend, it has better management.

by Anonymousreply 220September 8, 2022 1:33 AM

Those Nike shirts all the men are wearing are the WORST. Who came up with this shit?

by Anonymousreply 221September 8, 2022 1:49 AM

I like the square neckline with the short zipper. It's interesting.

Roger always looked the best...until he dumped Nike and went with Uni Glo which was bad (but apparently threw money at him).

Daniil is Lacoste.

by Anonymousreply 222September 8, 2022 1:54 AM

Both Djokovic and Medvedev are unlikeable to the majority which is why Nike/Adidas didn't get them.

by Anonymousreply 223September 8, 2022 1:55 AM

Tiafoe and Alcaraz can sort of pull of the square collar shirts - not that they looks great, but don't look bad. Everyone else looks bad to ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 224September 8, 2022 1:56 AM

Umm, R223, Nike actually puts their logo on Nick Kyrgios so your argument doesn't stand. NO company should want to be associated with that sociopathic asshole.

by Anonymousreply 225September 8, 2022 2:09 AM

R225 People have already acknowledged that crowds support him. So that doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 226September 8, 2022 2:12 AM

I think Lacoste generally has the best looking gear, so I don't think Novak or Med are really missing out.

by Anonymousreply 227September 8, 2022 2:15 AM

R227 Missing out on money I guess.

by Anonymousreply 228September 8, 2022 2:16 AM

Sinner has such a grim, morose, sinister demeanor that it's difficult to root for him ever.

by Anonymousreply 229September 8, 2022 2:56 AM

Il Gingio fighting against Carlitos.

by Anonymousreply 230September 8, 2022 3:03 AM

Will brown boy beat ginger boy?

by Anonymousreply 231September 8, 2022 3:05 AM

NEVER FORGET I AM THE NIKE QUEEN!

by Anonymousreply 232September 8, 2022 3:19 AM

nice choke Sinner

now his leg is bothering him

by Anonymousreply 233September 8, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote] Rublev also has hairy blonde legs.

Not ginger?

by Anonymousreply 234September 8, 2022 3:24 AM

who cares about hair on legs?

by Anonymousreply 235September 8, 2022 3:25 AM

Is Alcie wearing colored manderwear?

by Anonymousreply 236September 8, 2022 3:26 AM

Alcaraz is as much of an energizer bunny as Nadal. Gets to almost every damn ball it's scary. Nightmare to play someone like that. You have to hit so many great shots in a row to put the ball away

by Anonymousreply 237September 8, 2022 3:27 AM

[quote] who cares about hair on legs?

Shapo fans.

by Anonymousreply 238September 8, 2022 3:29 AM

How damaged of a person must you be to actively try to make your grandmother's last years on Earth utterly miserable?

by Anonymousreply 239September 8, 2022 3:31 AM

R239 Sorry she didn't get that Nike contract. :-(

by Anonymousreply 240September 8, 2022 3:34 AM

Il Gingio has a large mole on the right side of his jaw. Granted it is not as prominent given his freckles and the overall gingosity of his face and hair.

by Anonymousreply 241September 8, 2022 3:34 AM

LOL weird.

by Anonymousreply 242September 8, 2022 3:35 AM

I love posts like r239. There’s always a moment of confusion and then I realize what happened…

by Anonymousreply 243September 8, 2022 3:36 AM

We are weird here.

by Anonymousreply 244September 8, 2022 3:36 AM

Sinner surprisingly rebound to take the tiebreak

going at least 4 now

by Anonymousreply 245September 8, 2022 3:40 AM

Il Gingio wins second set.

by Anonymousreply 246September 8, 2022 3:40 AM

Sinner—the world’s most implausible Italian.

by Anonymousreply 247September 8, 2022 3:41 AM

Sinner--the world's most implausible postpubescent.

by Anonymousreply 248September 8, 2022 3:44 AM

I'm still fascinated that he's a brand ambassador for Gucci.

by Anonymousreply 249September 8, 2022 3:45 AM

[quote] postpubescent

Speaking of pubes, are his as gingy as his head hair?

by Anonymousreply 250September 8, 2022 3:46 AM

Gucci loves that hostile emaciated waif look.

by Anonymousreply 251September 8, 2022 3:47 AM

[quote] I'm still fascinated that he's a brand ambassador for Gucci.

He's only brand ambassador for the middle stripe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 8, 2022 3:48 AM

my face screams high faashion!

by Anonymousreply 253September 8, 2022 3:48 AM

Ginger people do usually have ginger pubes, so probably....

by Anonymousreply 254September 8, 2022 3:48 AM

I'm a gay man who loves hairy twinks. So I care about hairy legs. Esp on fit tennis players.

by Anonymousreply 255September 8, 2022 3:50 AM

Sinner does have nice long legs.

by Anonymousreply 256September 8, 2022 3:50 AM

Carlitos has a prominent black mole on the right side of his neck. A laser would be his friend.

by Anonymousreply 257September 8, 2022 3:58 AM

[quote] So I care about hairy legs. Esp on fit tennis players.

Ol' Rosie Casals had the best of the Original Nine when she didn't shave between tournaments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 8, 2022 4:01 AM

Nick Kyrgios drops out of the upcoming Laver Cup in London... with former World No 1 Roger Federer's participation in the team competition in serious doubt

by Anonymousreply 259September 8, 2022 4:04 AM

Federer Needs To Retire. I don't want to see a sad failure of a comeback. Go out now; he's had an amazing career.

by Anonymousreply 260September 8, 2022 4:07 AM

Although no official comment has been forthcoming, there are persistent reports that Federer’s recovery from knee surgery is behind schedule.

Speculation in Switzerland’s Tages Anzeiger is that there may have been issues with water on the knee. Meanwhile, after his US Open defeat Nadal – whose wife’s pregnancy has not proved straightforward – stated that he was unsure when he would play again.

Federer has also been announced to play the Basel Open in late October, but he has been very sparing with any updates on his fitness.

Kyrgios was left bitterly disappointed after losing in five sets to Russia’s Karen Khachanov, who will now meet Norway’s Casper Ruud in the semi-final.

After a four-month road trip he wants to go home, where a hearing is due into allegations of domestic abuse made against him by a former girlfriend. Kyrgios stated that his lawyer has instructed him not to comment on the process.

by Anonymousreply 261September 8, 2022 4:08 AM

Cam Norrie and Matteo Berrettini have been asked about their availability to supplement the Europeans if needs be.

by Anonymousreply 262September 8, 2022 4:09 AM

Popsicle butt. Brief video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 8, 2022 4:32 AM

the Laver Cup is a stupid exho. I tried to get into it more than one year but it's just so dumb

I don't care if it flops

by Anonymousreply 264September 8, 2022 4:33 AM

[quote] I don't care if it flops

I am on Europe team.

by Anonymousreply 265September 8, 2022 4:35 AM

I actually think it'd be cool if near the end of the season they held a national championship in every country. If some nearby countries didn't have enough players in the top 200 they could have a regional championship. it'd be the opposite of Davis Cup with countrymen and countrywomen fighting it out for their nation or region's title

by Anonymousreply 266September 8, 2022 4:38 AM

Is this where we talk about National Cup?

by Anonymousreply 267September 8, 2022 4:40 AM

Where are the Kokkinakis nudes that were referenced in Part 129?

by Anonymousreply 268September 8, 2022 4:43 AM

Come on Ginger Gucci Pubes!

by Anonymousreply 269September 8, 2022 4:54 AM

Sinner solid and Alcaraz choked

by Anonymousreply 270September 8, 2022 4:58 AM

Lopsided tie break (6-0) for Sinner so far.

by Anonymousreply 271September 8, 2022 4:58 AM

Il Gingio now two sets to one.

by Anonymousreply 272September 8, 2022 4:58 AM

Sinner has the charisma of an endless dial tone.

by Anonymousreply 273September 8, 2022 4:59 AM

Honestly based on form Tiafoe is playing the best of anyone left

by Anonymousreply 274September 8, 2022 5:00 AM

[quote] Sinner has the charisma of an endless dial tone.

And Rublev has the charisma of an emergency broadcast system tone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275September 8, 2022 5:01 AM

is Sinner the new Murray?

at times in this match he looked like he was starting to limp and have leg issues only for him to seemingly recover and be up 2 sets to 1

by Anonymousreply 276September 8, 2022 5:08 AM

the match is now over 3 1/2 hours. Both guys played 5 sets in their 4th round matches too. Great news for Tiafoe especially if this ends up going 5 too

by Anonymousreply 277September 8, 2022 5:09 AM

Alcaraz has too many ups and downs while Sinner has been the less flashy but steadier player.

by Anonymousreply 278September 8, 2022 5:11 AM

I knew Sinner would win. This is why I placed a bet on him. I knew the odds people were out of whack when they had Alcaraz as the winner! Lol. Someone has CLEARLY not watched their previous matches OR considered their H2H.

by Anonymousreply 279September 8, 2022 5:34 AM

I love US Open night matches, but 1:30 am in the 4th set?

by Anonymousreply 280September 8, 2022 5:34 AM

R273 made me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 281September 8, 2022 5:35 AM

Carlitos breaks in fourth set.

by Anonymousreply 282September 8, 2022 5:35 AM

back on serve!

by Anonymousreply 283September 8, 2022 5:36 AM

match now over 4 hours!

by Anonymousreply 284September 8, 2022 5:36 AM

Alcaraz HITS A BALL OUT OF THE STANDS

he's got a temper in him

by Anonymousreply 285September 8, 2022 5:38 AM

Il Gingio breaks back.

by Anonymousreply 286September 8, 2022 5:38 AM

I don't want to hear anymore complaining about lots of breaks of serve in women's matches

Sinner has been broken 7 times so far

Alcaraz now 6

by Anonymousreply 287September 8, 2022 5:39 AM

Awful game after the break. Gave it right back.

by Anonymousreply 288September 8, 2022 5:40 AM

Sinner loves to shake his racquet in front of himself when he wins a point.

by Anonymousreply 289September 8, 2022 5:43 AM

Sinner now has 5-3...can he close?

by Anonymousreply 290September 8, 2022 5:43 AM

R287 Nobody is saying it doesn't happen in men's matches. It's just a lot less frequent than in women's matches. The reasons I don't like watching women's matches are: they DF more often, the rallies are shorter, they make more UEs and fewer winners, there are too many breaks, their serve is weaker and they can't play 5 sets. Oh and btw.. IF break of serve happens a lot in a mens match I will say it's an awful match. I prefer a high quality mens match where BOTH are playing great. That means one or two breaks a set.

by Anonymousreply 291September 8, 2022 5:43 AM

Sinner has 9 double faults

by Anonymousreply 292September 8, 2022 5:45 AM

[quote] Spanish porn bottom is upset.

Juan Carlos Ferrero just shrugged and smiled wryly.

by Anonymousreply 293September 8, 2022 5:46 AM

sometimes there might be few to no breaks if 1 of the players is like Isner. That doesn't necessarily mean the quality is high, just that it's nearly impossible to return that.

by Anonymousreply 294September 8, 2022 5:46 AM

"Sinner loves to shake his racquet in front of himself when he wins a point."

Not the only thing he likes to shake in front of himself.

by Anonymousreply 295September 8, 2022 5:47 AM

I’d be more inclined to root for Garfia if he’d spend some of his prize earnings on some Differin and microdermabrasion.

by Anonymousreply 296September 8, 2022 5:48 AM

lol break point

by Anonymousreply 297September 8, 2022 5:49 AM

match point!

by Anonymousreply 298September 8, 2022 5:51 AM

[quote] match now over 4 hours!

Margaret and I had some long, hard ones. Take the 1970 Wimbledon final. Longest one at the time. She won 14-12, 11-9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 8, 2022 5:51 AM

Does stringbean Jannik have a nice ass?

by Anonymousreply 300September 8, 2022 5:52 AM

[quote] I’d be more inclined to root for Garfia if he’d spend some of his prize earnings on some Differin and microdermabrasion.

R296 = Donna Vekic

by Anonymousreply 301September 8, 2022 5:52 AM

Sinner 11th double fault

by Anonymousreply 302September 8, 2022 5:52 AM

Sinner broken for 8th time

by Anonymousreply 303September 8, 2022 5:53 AM

Back on serve.

by Anonymousreply 304September 8, 2022 5:53 AM

Carlito's having his way now

by Anonymousreply 305September 8, 2022 5:54 AM

[quote] Carlito's having his way now

Haha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 8, 2022 5:56 AM

6-5 Alcaraz (Garfia).

by Anonymousreply 307September 8, 2022 5:56 AM

if Sinner loses this 4th set, this match will definitely end up finishing the latest ever

I believe the current record is 2:26 AM

if these 2 have to start a 5th set now no way will it be over by then

by Anonymousreply 308September 8, 2022 5:59 AM

These twinks are fighting over this match like it's the last top at a bar at 4am.

Somebody close the deal!

by Anonymousreply 309September 8, 2022 6:00 AM

15-40

Sinner is slumping

by Anonymousreply 310September 8, 2022 6:00 AM

5th set here we come

def going to set the latest USO match record now

by Anonymousreply 311September 8, 2022 6:01 AM

Fifth set!

by Anonymousreply 312September 8, 2022 6:01 AM

Tiafoe's camp has to be thrilled. I'm sure he's asleep but they're watching

by Anonymousreply 313September 8, 2022 6:01 AM

Tiafoe must fucking love this

by Anonymousreply 314September 8, 2022 6:01 AM

it's past these kids' bedtime!

by Anonymousreply 315September 8, 2022 6:02 AM

[quote] The Big 4

I love you, R315.

by Anonymousreply 316September 8, 2022 6:05 AM

I can’t imagine Sinner wins this after giving up that (relatively) big lead in the fourth set. He ought to be too busy kicking himself now to focus on the task at hand.

by Anonymousreply 317September 8, 2022 6:05 AM

sets 2, 3 and 4 were all choked

Alcaraz should have won the second and third sets but blew it. Sinner should have won the fourth but blew it

by Anonymousreply 318September 8, 2022 6:07 AM

What a blown chance by Sinner at the end of the fourth. I guess Carlos had his own blown chances in the second and third sets.

by Anonymousreply 319September 8, 2022 6:11 AM

Tweet: "What an awesome, late night match between these two young talented KINGS!! Looking forward to playing either one."

by Anonymousreply 320September 8, 2022 6:12 AM

[quote] hese two young talented KINGS!!

Is Tiafoe's manager a Brooklyn seacow?

by Anonymousreply 321September 8, 2022 6:17 AM

officially the latest USO match ever

by Anonymousreply 322September 8, 2022 6:28 AM

OMG. This is one of the best tennis matches I've ever watched.

by Anonymousreply 323September 8, 2022 6:48 AM

Carlitos wins with an ace!

by Anonymousreply 324September 8, 2022 6:50 AM

K. Hemsworth team or Ruud team?

Alcaraz (Garfia) team or Tiafoe team?

by Anonymousreply 325September 8, 2022 6:57 AM

Garcia team or Ons team?

Svee-i-tek team or Sabalenka team?

by Anonymousreply 326September 8, 2022 6:57 AM

Omniscience is tricky, R279.

by Anonymousreply 327September 8, 2022 7:02 AM

Tiafoe Team

Khachanov Team

Sabalenka Team

Ons Team

by Anonymousreply 328September 8, 2022 7:03 AM

This thread has been paywalled. Let’s post in this older thread created last week that has yet to be paywalled though likely soon will be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 8, 2022 7:29 AM

I don't know what thread to post in, so I'm double-posting because we need to talk about Alexandra Stevenson.

I have liked her commentary in the past, but she seems to have gone off the rails this US Open.

Like she's a Parks and Recreation/Christopher Guest movie character masquerading as a tennis commentator. Her giant purple dress—which seemed designed to literally push her co-hosts off the stage—was a big WTF, and her facial expressions are often strange and seem designed to pull focus.

Maybe she feels threatened by the other super-sedated-seeming Caroline Wozniacki, so she's acting out?

by Anonymousreply 330September 8, 2022 7:41 AM

Man, I really thought Rafa might have had a chance to still get to number one. But Carlos had to lose tonight (he's going to take out Tiafoe I'm sure). But Sinner just choked. Granted, so did Carlos. What an exciting mess of a match!

Oh well, Rafa. Just get number 23 at the French next year. Number one is the silliest stat anyway.

by Anonymousreply 331September 8, 2022 7:48 AM

Sinner is deeply unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 332September 8, 2022 2:01 PM

There was a vid of Rublev tickling Lopez's delish ass a few years back.....

by Anonymousreply 333September 8, 2022 2:16 PM

Rublev is very touchy-feely with his doubles partners. I think he's quite hilarious off court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334September 8, 2022 3:24 PM

Does Nick K still grab Kokk's ass all the time?

by Anonymousreply 335September 8, 2022 3:26 PM

[quote]I knew Sinner would win. This is why I placed a bet on him. I knew the odds people were out of whack when they had Alcaraz as the winner! Lol.

Lol indeed Miss Claire Voyant!

by Anonymousreply 336September 8, 2022 3:40 PM

Watching the men's doubs semis and mind keeps drifting to the thought of Robert Farah topping Joe salisbury...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337September 8, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote]Her giant purple dress—which seemed designed to literally push her co-hosts off the stage—was a big WTF, and her facial expressions are often strange and seem designed to pull focus.

Stevenson's an odd one. She's annoyed me quite a bit on air the last year or two, but this 2020 profile also made her life sound narrow and sad. You're pretty starved for attention and validation when you tell a reporter "I believe ESPN cares about my voice this year—my opinion, my singular wit, my pop culture take."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338September 8, 2022 6:58 PM

I myself love and care for her perfect diction, precise pronunciations and astute observations. Almost as much as Caroline's lively and invigorating voice.

by Anonymousreply 339September 8, 2022 7:36 PM

R330, at a dinner party the other night I realized I was seated next to a tennis fan. I brought up Alexandra and he nearly jumped out of his chair. “She’s the absolute worst!”

I feel bad because I don’t love punching down but it’s a mystery why she continues to be part of the ESPN team

by Anonymousreply 340September 8, 2022 7:42 PM

Halep divorcing her billionaire husband ! Married for less than 1 year!

by Anonymousreply 341September 8, 2022 10:48 PM

Joe Salisbury and Neal Skupski set for a British battle in the US Open men's doubles finals as both seal their spot in the showdown... with the winner set to earn the World No. 1 spot too

by Anonymousreply 342September 8, 2022 10:53 PM

Even 'Superbrat' John McEnroe says Nick Kyrgios 'went too far' with epic meltdown after US Open loss - as Aussie reveals devastation at result and cops a huge fine

Kyrgios, 27, was fined $20,700 by ATP officials after losing his temper and smashing two racquets after being beaten in five sets by Russian Karen Khachanov.

The Aussie shook hands with his opponent and the umpire before leaving a trail of debris on the court at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

He was also fined for spitting earlier in the tournament, leaving the Canberra raised star $47,000 out of pocket from his two weeks in New York.

Speaking on Eurosport, McEnroe - no stranger to letting his emotions get the better of him during his own storied career - felt Kyrgios needed to display better control.

'That [blow-up] was after the match so it was a little unbecoming,' he said.

'I get he's frustrated - but this [outburst] is when [Karen] Khachanov is walking in the centre of the court (saying), 'Thank you very much the eight people that were on my side.

'So that was going too far - (and) I know something about that.'

Kyrgios' post-match antics also sparked widespread condemnation from tennis figures.

'That's not great, that's not great at all,' Aussie great Todd Woodbridge said in commentary for Channel 9.

American journalist Nigel D'Souza described it as a 'national embarrassment for Australia.'

Jude Sannith of CNBC went a step further, tweeting: 'Am I terrible person if I say that I'm really glad Kyrgios did not win?

'That behaviour is disgraceful and has no place in ANY sport. And just the fact that spectators and some pundits romanticise and encourage it, saying 'it's good for the game' makes it worse.'

by Anonymousreply 343September 8, 2022 10:55 PM

Ons wins!

by Anonymousreply 344September 9, 2022 1:17 AM

Sabalenka is only 24. she looks much older.

Iga looks much older than 21 too.

by Anonymousreply 345September 9, 2022 1:25 AM

I don't like Iga. Team Sabs! Though I'm not sure she can pull through here.

by Anonymousreply 346September 9, 2022 1:47 AM

GO ARYNA!!!

by Anonymousreply 347September 9, 2022 2:20 AM

World No. 1 Iga Swiatek fights back from a set down to beat Aryna Sabalenka and book her spot against Ons Jabeur in the US Open final

by Anonymousreply 348September 9, 2022 4:54 AM

I've said it in the previous thread, I pick Ons to win the whole thing!

by Anonymousreply 349September 9, 2022 3:41 PM

New thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350September 9, 2022 5:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!