Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON, 8/28/22: "The Rpgue Prince"

Rhaenyra has now been proclaimed the heir to the Iron Throne. Will any of the handsome knights from the jousting tournament bid for her hand?

And where does that leave her uncle Daemon? Will he go quietly back to his castle and his unloved wife, whom he referred to last episode as "The Bronze Bitch"?

And now the King is a widower, will he remain single?

Will we see any locations besides King's Landing?

And what will the credit sequence for this show look like? (It will premiere this episode.)

by Anonymousreply 75September 4, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote] his unloved wife

Ladywife.

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2022 12:41 AM

Same as it ever was.

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2022 1:04 AM

So, the new opening credits sequence is ... meh. Rivers of blood? Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2022 1:08 AM

I think I like this princess.

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2022 1:11 AM

This new princess looks like Mariel Hemingway in "Manhattan," only albino.

by Anonymousreply 5August 29, 2022 1:20 AM

I'm a bit confused by the credit sequence. It seems to be the King's stone miniature model of old Valyria (where the Targaryens and their dragons came from), which met its doom centuries ago. The blood seems to come out of the model city's Dragonpit, but I'm not sure what those bronze circular things are that the blood seems to trigger into movement.

by Anonymousreply 6August 29, 2022 1:23 AM

I think I read somewhere those are sigils of former Targaryen rulers.

by Anonymousreply 7August 29, 2022 1:25 AM

They want the 50-year-old king to marry this eight-year-old?

by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2022 1:25 AM

Rpgue? Isn't that Ypir's sister?

by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2022 1:26 AM

I don’t think this is going anywhere

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2022 1:28 AM

She's 12, not 8.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2022 1:48 AM

The thing I'm missing form this is ... there are no characters with the charisma or mystery who are as interesting as Varys, Little Finger, or Tyrion.

The king is kind of dull, a weak wet noodle.

The princess is almost interesting, but mostly a blank face.

Her uncle is a one-note scenery chewing evil guy.

The hand is almost interesting.

But that's the problem. Most of the characters are "almost interesting".

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2022 1:51 AM

So episode 2 is a six-month time jump, and we're going to have even longer time-jumps in the next few episodes? So much so that they cast the princess with an aged-up actress? Huh. Interesting choice I guess.

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2022 1:56 AM

There’s no witty, crazy, villainous, or lustful types like the original show. It’s a world of Stannises and Jorahs. Very dull. Zzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2022 1:57 AM

Matt Smith as Daemon is distractingly ugly in that wig.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2022 2:02 AM

[quote] Her uncle is a one-note scenery chewing evil guy.

He's a rogue, as the title of the episode signals.

He's not evil.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2022 2:05 AM

If he was a rogue, at least his character would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2022 2:12 AM

Wogue One.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2022 2:15 AM

R15, the books and the series are different fictional worlds. On the television screen, he’s introduced buried in black shadows, he overacts, he has a bad wig—he’s one “evil” trope stacked on top of another.

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2022 2:19 AM

King Visherysh'sh ally, the Shea Shnake, ish married to the King'sh coushin, Princhessh Rhaenysh!

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2022 2:20 AM

[quote] On the television screen, he’s introduced buried in black shadows, he overacts, he has a bad wig—he’s one “evil” trope stacked on top of another.

All the Targaryens have bad wigs--that just came with the territory when Martin insisted they all have long white hair.

And so far Daemon's actions have not been evil--merely chaotic and provocative.

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2022 2:27 AM

I loved how beautifully the confrontation at Dragonstone was filmed, on the long staircase from the sea to the castle in the early morning mists.

I thought the woman who played Misariya (the whore-bride of Daemon) was terrific. in the book she's shallow, and two-dimensional, but I felt genuinely sorry for her tonight. She seemed like a complex character thanks to the actress, and she suffers from Daemon's absurd posturings to impress his brother (which he realizes).

The final shot seemed to be of the Crab Feeder. Is he wearing a mask, or does he suffer from greyscale, or both?

I am not fond of the snippy actress who plays Rhaenyra, and will be glad when she's replaced by an adult actress in a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2022 5:38 AM

Alicent's self-harm was a great choice for illustrating the anxieties and discomfort of a more docile and controlled character.

Rhaenys lost me when she tried to pimp out by her12 year old but Eve Best so fucking good.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2022 9:21 AM

This is really fucking boring, and Matt Smith keeps ruining the show with his ugliness and shit acting.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2022 11:31 AM

I was quite disappointed to see Matt Smith starring in this. Christ he's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2022 11:45 AM

Apparently I am the only one enjoying !att Smith in this. I think he’s great!

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2022 1:19 PM

R23, what did I miss as far as Alicent “self-harming?”

When are they going to change actresses? I can’t wait to see Olivia Cook playing Alicent

Oh, there’s a “non-binary” actress named Emma D’Arcy and SHE will be playing Rhaenyra.

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2022 1:25 PM

I might come around to Matt but it will take many episodes to get use to the shock of his Dark Crystal Puppet makeup.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2022 1:26 PM

r27 She's picking her nails. It doesn't seem like much, but picking nails (or scalp or skin in general) or habitually biting lips is a consequence of some underlying psychological condition.

by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2022 1:28 PM

I meant the skin surrounding her nails.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2022 1:28 PM

R26, you're not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2022 1:52 PM

I like Smith, but his voice can get chipmunky at times and I just can't take him seriously when that happens. Rewatch the scene where he first speaks during that confrontation on Dragonstone to see what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know who's in possession of the Iron Islands at this time?

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2022 2:01 PM

This has been renewed for a second season. At the time pacing it’s going, don’t get used to the characters as this story is generational. People are going to die even if it’s of old age. No surprises, it’s all in the book this time. Tip: don’t name your cat or daughter Rhaenyra like people did with Daenerys.

My favourite characters are Otto and Alicent. It’s a game, and they’re playing it the best so far.

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2022 2:04 PM

I’m not a fan of the opening. It reminds me too much of those scenes from vampire films where blood drops down channels to ‘awaken the ancient one’. Was that Blade? I swear the concept has been in more than one. The geographic theme of GOT was hard to beat. I would have been happy to carry on with that. Just this week, they were in Kings Landing. Dragonstone and the Stepstones.

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2022 2:19 PM

Agreed. Driftmark was mentioned as well and that's right next to Dragonstone. The audience would understand why Corlys was able to get to Daemon so easily.

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2022 2:23 PM

Eve Best is the standout for me. Regal and cunty. Love her. The rest of the cast is bland.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2022 2:24 PM

[quote] Rewatch the scene where he first speaks during that confrontation on Dragonstone to see what I'm talking about.

I had the exact same thought. He really reminded me of Joffrey in that moment.

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2022 2:35 PM

Eve Best is divine, where she been hiding all this time?

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2022 2:36 PM

I’m amazed someone above praised the mistress. Her acting was the worst I’ve seen on tv in years! Wretchedly wooden!

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2022 2:38 PM

I didn't have a problem with the concubine's acting, although I did think her accent was just the thickest accent I've heard in the longest time, especially when she was speaking fast. Personally, I can easily understand the most exotic of British accents, but I was immediately wondering whether American audiences would have some difficulty understanding her at the end there before she stormed out.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2022 2:47 PM

She was no Shae, just as no one in this show has the wit of Tyrion.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2022 2:55 PM

I like the actor who plays the Sea Snake. He's got such a beautiful face, despite his age--I just like looking at him.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2022 3:40 PM

The talk of the girl being of the “purest Valyrian blood” was disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2022 4:05 PM

Episode 1 was revoltingly violent. How is EP 2?

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2022 4:08 PM

You would consider it worse, r44. We watch crabs devouring corpses on a battlefield by the ocean, and then one of the corpses twitches and starts screaming.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2022 4:12 PM

[quote] The talk of the girl being of the “purest Valyrian blood” was disconcerting.

CANCEL HER!!

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote]Eve Best is divine, where she been hiding all this time?

I first saw her in the Edie Falco series "Nurse Jackie," where she classed up the joint.

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2022 4:39 PM

I love Eve Best's beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2022 6:27 PM

I liked the credit sequence very much. And good to here that music again.

I think the dragon CGI is eating up a lot of budget and location CGI is scaled down. I do love those dragons though.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2022 8:43 PM

[quote]‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 2 Viewership Up 2% From Last Week’s Premiere Episode (10.2M Viewers)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2022 9:11 PM

She was fine on Nurse Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2022 9:33 PM

Waiting for something gay to happen feels like an eternity. When's the cute gay biracial dude come into play?

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2022 10:19 PM

Martin loooves killing his gays like it's still 1999, so I'm not looking forward to a gay character at all. I suspect he won't be around for long even if we get one.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2022 10:22 PM

R53 There's a gay storyline in the show, saw behind the scenes pics. The biracial prince that's supposed to marry the main female character has a side piece male romance.

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2022 10:29 PM

[quote] Martin loooves killing his gays like it's still 1999, so I'm not looking forward to a gay character at all. I suspect he won't be around for long even if we get one.

It's par for the course in HOTD as well.

by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2022 10:35 PM

R27 Alicent nervously picks at her nail beds to the point of bleeding. They showed it in the first episode but Otto brought attention to it this episode when she was helping him dress for Dragonstone. His tone was very critical and the actress seemed to zone out a little until Sexy Sir Cole's entrance gave her an opening to escape. She obviously does not follow her father's will blindly or from love, but she feels helpless to do more than hurt herself.

by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2022 10:40 PM
by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2022 9:59 PM

I like this show but I agree with the criticism that it is missing those more witty, charismatic characters that Throne had.

And definitely get used to the time jumps as this story is going to cover a lot of time. I see the next episode preview already has the King and Alicent Hightowers baby. There is a lot of ground to cover to set up everything.

I found the credits a let down after the iconic credits from GoT, but what are you going to do.

And people criticizing Matt Smith here when he is easily the most dynamic thing in screen is crazy to me. His lovers accent choice was the most horrendous thing I've seen. Man that took me out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2022 1:43 AM

Finding out Emma D'arcy is "non-binary" is not surprising. Tbh, I thought they were Hunter Schaffer in the previews.

by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2022 10:49 PM

Might it get confusing for some to see the actress playing the young Rhaenyra gone? She seems to have gained lots of fans and some even argue, the break-out star of the series. A lot might get disappointed once she's replaced.

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2022 11:12 PM

Yes, people are already arguing on the show's sub because so many are referring to D'Arcy as young Rhaenyra's replacement, rather than the other way around. I'm sure the non-binary crap doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2022 11:20 PM

We are still early on in a show that is going to run for several seasons r60. The time jump for episode 6 will be weird at first but people will get used to it, and it will be the same actor the rest of the series.

The Crown changed out the entire cast every two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2022 11:22 PM

Interesting breakdown of the credits: (slight spoilers)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2022 12:19 AM

Sapochnik out as a co-showrunner, Alan Taylor in, though as EP and director, not as co-showrunner. Says he's exhausted after three years on this project.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2022 12:26 AM

Damn, bummer! I really hope Sapochnik still gets to direct some of the big episodes. In my opinion, he directed some of the best GoT episodes.

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2022 3:23 AM

He also directed two of the worst episodes, "The Bells" and "The Long Night."

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2022 3:12 PM

I personally enjoyed The Long Night but as polarizing as those episodes are, they were still brilliantly directed.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2022 2:58 AM

With anyone else, I’d think something bad happened behind the scenes, but Sapochnik seems protective of his time/health in a way unusual for a high-powered person, so I can believe he’s just tired and wants to take a break.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2022 12:36 PM

Doing a show this huge would be exhausting as hell. David and Dan used to complain about that all the time.

It's unfortunate, but I can't blame the guy for wanting to step away and have a life again.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2022 2:38 PM

I recall Dan saying his mom watched the BTS featurette for the first season before the show started where he gave a quick talking head looking completely exhausted and cradling a Starbucks cup, and she told him he looked like shit and to get some sleep. Now imagine doing eight seasons of that.

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2022 2:46 PM

Maybe he'll come back for season 3

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2022 5:25 PM

Boring nerd fest with down right fugly leads.. He looks like a Klingon with a bad dye job. She has snake eyes and downright scary piranha mouth and teeth. Lets no even mention the Millie-Vanilli Uncle Ben character. Going with the the LOTR. At least it's a $700 million bromide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2022 11:44 PM

You left an identical comment at r285 yesterday in the thread below. Please explain yourself. You running a tad low on creative juices, darling?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2022 11:47 PM

Jeff Bezos?

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2022 11:10 PM

R73 Unlike yours darling , my comment is worth repeating.

by Anonymousreply 75September 4, 2022 5:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!