Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Bad Sisters' on Apple TV

I love Sharon Horgan — especially in "Pulling" and "Catastrophe" — so I was interested in this immediately.

Five Irish sisters, one of whom is married to a complete asshole. He ends up dead, and the series uses flashbacks to spell out who did it and how.

I've only watched one episode, but so far it's a great dark comedy and Horgan is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2024 7:01 PM

Three episodes in and loving it. Bibi (Sarah Greene) is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2022 4:44 PM

Are there really men as HORRIBLE as that prick husband?

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2022 11:18 PM

Daryl McCormack has gorgeous eyes... and other bits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2022 12:33 AM

Bono's daughter Eve stars in this.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2022 12:39 AM

I have just started watching this and am really enjoying it. I'm 4 episodes in and am always left really looking forward to the next episode. It's funny and heartbreaking all at once. Anne Marie Duff plays an abused pitiful wife almost too well. Bono's daughter is slaying her role, she's excellent.

I love Sharon Horgan and her writing, but I'm starting to see now that she basically plays herself in every role. Luckily I like her, so don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2022 10:12 AM

I finished the sixth episode yesterday and am taking it slow because I don't want it to end, it's just too delicious. The thought of watching JP's flashbacks in every episode made me queasy at the start, but now I'm excited to discover each new layer of evil and nastiness inside him. What a great turn by Claes Bang.

One of the best looking shows on TV currently, and I'm not just talking about the insane interiors. The gay guy is hot, too.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2022 10:29 AM

Claes Bang plays malignant sociopaths a bit too well! Check him out in The Burn Orange Heresy film where he stars with Elizabeth Debicki and the improbably good Mick Jagger. Donald Sutherland is in it too.

He's also in the Stephen Merchant TC show Outlaws, another excellent show.

Anyway, back to Bad Sisters!

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2022 11:48 AM

* TV show

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2022 11:48 AM

LOVE this show. The mixed race guy is so hot!

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2023 1:57 AM

Sharon Horgan is a comedy goddess.

Love love love her!

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2023 2:41 AM

I'm in LOVE with the murdered prick. He's so my type. (I mean physically. Not his character.)

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2023 3:02 AM

I don't know - I wanted to like it and I liked Bibi - but considering what an asshole JP is, the stupid sisters keep falling into his trap: the Horgan character announces a job she wants in front of JP when it's obvious from the word go that he'll try to fuck her over; the sister having an affair knows JP' is on to her but does this incredibly bone headed thing that plays right into his hands and the younger sister - who know should JP will never give her the $$ - gets played as well. Anne Marie Duff is good in this role, but it's hard to square a woman who on one had has no self-esteem, yet is surrounded by strong women who would support her if she got the stones to tell JP to fuck off (and looked pretty well off themselves). The insurance investigators are ridiculous fun and it's kind of amusing that the idiot brother is actually onto something, but the whole thing just seemed tedious.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2023 9:56 AM

I'm devouring this show. Love Sharon Horgan and the other sisters but I can't stand Bono's daughter's character. She fucks up one thing after another. Characters that are written to do a series of stupid things make me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2023 1:17 AM

Yeah, Eve Bono is just playing a cute, dumb Zoomer.

Claes Bang is particularly skilled at playing a particular kind of horrible.

I didn’t expect the ginger Claffin to be so annoying.

And the mixed race Claffin is wearing coloured contact lenses.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2023 3:35 PM

[quote]And the mixed race Claffin is wearing coloured contact lenses.

Five seconds of googling is all you needed before embarrassing yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2023 4:20 PM

Those pisshole in the sand beady pupils are a hallmark of coloured contacts.

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2023 12:15 AM

First two episodes of the second season out November 13th, with a weekly release afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2024 3:47 PM

Worst idea for a sequel since And Just Like That?

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2024 3:55 PM

Second season of Big Little Lies was kinda shit, too. AJLT can't really be compared since so much time elapsed between the original and the continuation.

We'll see what the showrunner came up with, could be interesting. I'll watch it for the Irish setting alone, I don't really watch any Irish shows.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2024 4:02 PM

They must have had fun writing the part of JP (and Claes Bang must have had fun playing him), but he really is cartoonishly horrible (I do understand why, for the purposes of the show, he must have no redeeming qualities whatsoever).

Great locations, though: I live right in the area where it was filmed: Glasthule/Dalkey, in South County Dublin. The Forty Foot (also featured in DL fave novel "At Swim, Two Boys", by Jamie O'Neill) has been a popular swimming spot for many years.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2024 4:11 PM

That swimming spot location was my favourite! I've never really seen Irish people swimming on Irish beaches, so that was nice to see.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2024 4:15 PM

[quote]Are there really men as HORRIBLE as that prick husband?

Yes, yes there are…

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote] Are there really men as HORRIBLE as that prick husband?

I have met many.

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2024 4:37 PM

You'd be surprised what absolute monsters women will put up with, if they have enough charm and/or money. Of course, the reverse is also true, although men care more about guaranteed pussy and their deep fear of having failed at being a man by not settling down and breeding, than charm or money on the frau's side.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] Bono's daughter Eve stars in this.

She really earned this you all, you know, being born and all.

I like ponies.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2024 4:41 PM

She's one of those nepo babies who are actually good at their job, so I don't mind her. She's lowkey magnetic to watch.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2024 4:44 PM

Nepotism in Ireland, being such a small country, is particularly blatant. I won't make any judgments about his talent one way or the other, but one of Cillian Murphy's sons is also venturing into acting.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2024 4:51 PM

"To be or not to be... a nepo baby."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2024 4:55 PM

Sharon Horgan is a great comedy writer but quite uninteresting as a performer.

To me, the show only started to get a bit more interesting after the taxidermy-loving, castrating father of the JP character was introduced towards the end of the series, and you began to see him in a different light.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2024 5:57 PM

The other sisters were more intriguing, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2024 6:11 PM

Season one could’ve been six or eight tight episodes. Ten was dragging it out. I lost interest halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2024 6:37 AM

The only thing I didn’t like about this was the big revelation that JP bad raped Sharon Horgan. It felt completely unrealistic bearing in mind their extensive interactions and simply a device for Sharon Horgan’s For Your Consideration clip.

by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2024 6:44 AM

r32 That felt so over the top, I agree. But then he was such a cartoon villain to begin with, you could say the same about most anything that came out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 33September 11, 2024 3:51 PM

R12, late to the discussion but that's how I feel. The dingbat younger one is dickmatized and screwing one of the insurance guys, not smart when you're trying to hide something, and the adulterous one acts like she wants to get caught and keeps compromising herself with the evil prick.

by Anonymousreply 34September 11, 2024 4:03 PM

He really was evil. That poor neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 35September 11, 2024 4:54 PM

Didn't the prick husband play a vampire in some weird mini-series?

by Anonymousreply 36September 11, 2024 6:04 PM

Yes, a BBC production of "Dracula" a few years back. Very good it was too.

by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2024 6:07 PM

First episode was great, second decent, and third laughable garbage. At least that seems to be the consensus whenever it pops up on the main TV subreddit.

by Anonymousreply 38September 11, 2024 6:09 PM

And DL consensus too, I recall discussing it in a now archived thread when it aired originally.

by Anonymousreply 39September 11, 2024 6:10 PM

He is always one step ahead of those dumb twats.

by Anonymousreply 40September 11, 2024 6:27 PM

Fiona Shaw features in the trailer for the second series which has triggered memories of The Black Dahlia.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2024 4:55 PM

Fiona Shaw at her Fiona Shawiest, love her!

I never clocked until just now that she's Irish, shame on me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2024 5:01 PM

I mentioned this show in the thread where someone was asking to watch. I enjoyed from a purely entertainment perspective. It's not Shakespeare but it was good for mindless TV watching. Sadly, I gave up my AppleTV+ subscription.

by Anonymousreply 43October 22, 2024 7:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!