Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Almost a Brawl: Sunbathers Race to Snag a Lounger at Tenerife Resort Pool

It's peak summer tourist season in Europe, but this level of rushing for a basic amenity is bizarre even by Canary Islands standards.

What would this look like in Florida or Palm Springs? Would Americans at an Orlando pool be more violent? Would wealthy eldergays in Palm Springs?

And what's the etiquette once you bag a lounge chair? You claim it with your towel and squat all day?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2022 9:43 AM

What a bleak existence. Spending most your life slaving away under grey skies with brief intervals of sitting in a very crowded pool area for a week.

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2022 5:29 PM

Why doesn’t the place just buy moar chairs?

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2022 5:30 PM

No one said it was an upscale hotel....

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2022 5:33 PM

Germans. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2022 5:40 PM

At one of the resorts in Aruba, there's always a battle for the chickies that begins before the sun even comes up. A guy we vacationed with would get up at 5am each day to secure our chickies for the day and he would tell us even then it was very competitive and cutthroat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2022 5:57 PM

Chickies??

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2022 5:59 PM

In Tenerife every day is Black Friday, it is just poolside loungers instead of cheap garbage TVs.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2022 6:00 PM

EuroKarens

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2022 6:04 PM

You can’t beat a German to a sunlounger.

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2022 6:08 PM

I don't understand the appeal of hanging around a hotel pool all day. I'm always out looking at sites and strolling around enjoying local scenery, shopping, and stopping at various cafes for a coffee or local wine.

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2022 6:13 PM

R10 is a fucking liar.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2022 6:17 PM

How so R11? Explain please.

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2022 6:21 PM

R11, is that your idea of fun? As an American who grew up within easy access of a beach in a Southern state I can assure you that roasting in the sun is not my thing and becoming acquainted with different cultures is far more interesting to me.

No need to get so trollish and angry sounding. You do you and I'll do me, okay?

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2022 6:26 PM

Sitting around a pool is for the braindead.

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2022 6:38 PM

To answer your question, OP, this wouldn't happen in America because we don't care about having a chair by a pool.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2022 6:38 PM

I'm assuming this is something that Northern Europeans do for fun since they live in countries with not much sun?

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2022 6:40 PM

The other thing I find dreadful is the crowds at these pools or even on the beaches.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2022 6:41 PM

[quote] To answer your question, OP, this wouldn't happen in America because we don't care about having a chair by a pool.

How easy to disprove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2022 6:43 PM

It’s very easy to deal with a German who has “reserved” a deck chair using a towel: Remove the towel and use the unoccupied chair. It’s not “illegal” to do so, no matter what the furious German might say.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2022 6:44 PM

R18 that's a totally different ballgame. Your own private pool is different somehow. I miss having one. I actually went swimming when I had my own. I wouldn't dream of using a public pool.

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2022 6:50 PM

R19 Yeah, no telling what a furious German might say or do.

You could be creating the next madman by stealing that seat!

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2022 6:51 PM

Was it those binge drinking vulgar tourists from The UK or the almost as bad Deutschland Uber Alles crowd. I've seen them on vacation in The Med and they are so funny with mein chair don't touch mein chair!

by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2022 6:55 PM

R18 I didn't see anyone throwing punches in those photos, could you possibly hypothesize as to why? Since you want to debate.

by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]You can’t beat a German to a sunlounger.

Game on!

by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2022 7:07 PM

The ocean is right there.

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2022 7:14 PM

Another reason to travel in shoulder or off season

by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2022 7:21 PM

They do the same thing in Vegas. I was staying at The Bellagio and got up early for coffee and people were in line at 6 for "their spot" at the pool.

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2022 7:22 PM

They should take reservations. Some of the nicer places have cabanas for daily rental which sounds far more appealing and how I would do it. Tv, comfy sofas inside in the shade and your own pool boy for towels and food/drinks but more importantly "private".

by Anonymousreply 28August 24, 2022 7:26 PM

It can be very relaxing to sit on a beach lounge as one of the routines of a beach holiday. I went to Alassio for years - a cute middle class resort in Luguria filled mostly with Italians. Also it has a sandy beach. You pay for lounger and umbrella sit around with your friends, read a book, swim in the sea, have a cocktail. Take a stroll through town. People watch. No pressure for culture, shopping, excursions. Just chill.

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2022 7:49 PM

How déclassé! Stick to the Ritz Carlton I say.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2022 8:05 PM

I’m honestly surprised these folk haven’t sunk to the level of buying their own chair in town and carrying it out to the beach.

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2022 8:12 PM

The plot of the film "the Lost Daughter" begins on a Greek beach with a woman among a large family of visiting Greek-American tourists becoming territorial about a beach chair Olivia Colman, a British tourist, is using first.

I don't think territorialism during vacation times especially is something we Americans are exempt from. I always see it when I travel among people of every nation.

I am so not interested in sitting by an ocean on a beach that it's always surprising to me. I love ocean views and I love hiking; but I hate sitting on a beach.

by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2022 8:18 PM

R32 That's a fictional film, not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2022 9:23 AM

If you told a crowd of executives at a business conference that there's a dire shortage of dog poo and only the lucky few could get it these days, they'd kill one another diving for the pile to get more than their shares.

A scarcity mindset is a crazy thing.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2022 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!